PDA

View Full Version : Dontay Moch clocks fastest 40 ever for NFL scouts

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Has anyone watched this guy play? I've been reading up on him, and what I'm reading doesn't sound possible,let alone plausible, but I'm seeing this reported in multiple places on the net and nothing written to challenge it or refute it. What's more, the player himself confirms it. (video)

Dontay Moch, who plays DE in Nevada's four man line but is projected as an OLB in an NFL 3-4 defense...could be the fastest player in the history of the NFL draft this April. It's reported all over the web, which is why I don't know why we haven't been talking about him, but he reportedly ran a 4.18 forty for NFL scouts, followed by an insane 4.08 and then a 4.2 done back-to-back-to-back. That's not a typo, the scouts who timed him claim they timed him three times because they didn't believe their own eyes or their instruments, and they insist those were his times. They took the slowest of them and reported an offical 4.2.

By way of comparison, Bo Jackson's 4.19 I believe was the combine's fastest time ever recorded till now. I think Deon Sanders clocked close to 4.2 or something. Despite what we frequently hear, the number of guys who run in the 4.3 and below range is very rare. The fastest linebackers rarely break below 4.5. Patrick Peterson's reportedly clocked 4.3 flat and ran a laser timed 4.37 for scouts before last season. Nobody in the history of the NFL has ever clocked a 4.08 or 4.18. Certainly no linebacker has ever done anything remotely close to that. A 245 pound man running that fast is probably akin to a 325 pound nose tackle covering 40 yards in 4.5 seconds. That simply doesn't happen.

Now looking at his production...42 TFL the last two seasons, 63 for his career, which is the 6th highest total in NCAA history, 21 1/2 sacks his last two years, mostly while being double teamed. WAC Defensive Player of the Year. So far the few projections I've seen show him going in the 2nd or 3rd round. With that kind of speed and production, how could he possibly not go in the first round? If he's there at #36 and certainly at #46, how could we pas on him?

And how great would a guy like this look in orange and blue?

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Da0kyDPWHqA?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Boobs McGee
01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Somewhere, Al Davis is having an orgasm

Que
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Dude needs to learn to run routes, block and catch passes. Can you imagine a TE that fast?

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:00 PM
A 4.08 forty? Even a 4.2? For a 245 pound guy? If he breaks something like this off at the combine, how could he not go top 5? The guy's also a playmaker, not just a track guy.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Dude needs to learn to run routes, block and catch passes. Can you imagine a TE that fast?
Can you imgine a 245 pound safety that fast?

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Normally these times are wildly exagerated and when the combine rolls around you see these 4.3 guys all running 4.45 or something but this kid states flat out that he did this and the scouts aren't denying it. We need this dude...bad.

HAT
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Never heard of him....Walt doesn't seem too impressed.

Dontay Moch, DE/OLB, Nevada
Height: 6-1. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.
10/8/10: Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, but he really has no clue how to play football, and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior. I'm not sold on him as an 3-4 rush linebacker either because he his instincts really hurt him and all he can do is use his first step and speed rush.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Never heard of him....Walt doesn't seem too impressed.

Dontay Moch, DE/OLB, Nevada
Height: 6-1. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.
10/8/10: Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, but he really has no clue how to play football, and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior. I'm not sold on him as an 3-4 rush linebacker either because he his instincts really hurt him and all he can do is use his first step and speed rush.
Well he has more tackles behind the line than all but 5 defensive players in NCAA history and he was WAC Defensive Player of the Year...I think somebody's missing something here.

Bigdawg26
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I know who the raiders first round pick is!!!!

Atwater His Ass
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Most overrated combine stat.

Running fast in a straight line with no pads doesn't necessarily mean much.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
He's projected 2nd or 3rd round, but the combines not here yet.

WAC preview: Nevada defense moves at Dontay Moch speed

Updated 8/19/2010 12:28 AM

By David B. Parker, Reno Gazette-Journal

Nevada Wolf Pack defensive end Dontay Moch has shocked scouts and victimized offensive linemen with his elite speed.

By Chris Murray, Reno Gazette-Journal

RENO — The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches.

They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it.

Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again.

He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again.

On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds. Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks.

Imagine a 6-1, 245-pound defensive end such as Moch running it. Unthinkable.

"He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable."

Read the rest here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2010-08-18-preview-nevada-dontay-moch_N.htm

OBF1
01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
move over Knowshon

OABB
01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Can he do a backflip?

OBF1
01-12-2011, 11:23 PM
or jump out of a pool???

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Holy crap...

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2011-Big-Board/Dontay-Moch.html

08/13/10 - Nevada defensive end Dontay Moch is featured in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated. Moch is one of five "Players to Watch" from unranked teams. He was the WAC Defensive Player of the Year last season. He finished with 61 tackles, including 20 for loss and 6.5 sacks. He has been named to the watch lists for the Ted Hendricks Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy. The story is in the August 16th issue of SI. It's their College Football Preview. Boise State is on the cover.

08/10/10 - Nevada senior Dontay Moch has been named to the Watch List for the Ted Hendricks Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive end. The 36-player Watch List was announced Tuesday by the Ted Hendricks Foundation. Moch, the 2009 WAC Defensive Player of the Year, is one of the premier defensive ends in the nation. The native of Chandler, Ariz. (Hamilton HS) enters his senior season poised to become the school’s all-time leader in sacks and tackles for loss. He was voted the 2010 WAC Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. He needs 10 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks to become the school’s all-time leader in those categories. He needs those same statistics to break the Western Athletic Conference records in those categories as well. Moch holds Nevada’s single-season records in sacks (11.5 in 2008) and tackles for loss (20.0 in 2009). He has also been named previously to the Watch List for the Bronko Naguski Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive player, and the Lott Trophy. On Monday, he was named to the Watch List for the Chuck Bednarik Award.

08/08/10 - They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen right in front of their faces. But they didn't believe it. Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run a 4.18-second 40-yard dash. That time would be among the fastest ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again. He clocked a 4.08 in his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So, they made him run again. On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds. Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks. Imagine a 6-foot-1, 245-pound defensive end like Moch running it. Unthinkable. "He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable." Moch smiles when asked about that junior pro day this summer when he awed the NFL scouts with his speed. And the distressing thing for offensive linemen is that Moch, the reigning WAC defensive player of the year, is now tapping his potential. – The Reno Gazette-Journal

NEVADA

2009: Expected to contend for conference and national honors after a breakout season last year as one of the top pass-rusher on the West Coast … Named to the Watch List for the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the nation’s top defensive end … Named second-team Preseason All-WAC by Phil Steele’s College Football Preview … Named second-team Preseason All-WAC by Athlon Sports … Named second-team Preseason All-WAC by Lindy’s.

2008: Earned his first career All-WAC honor with second-team accolades ... Finished the regular season tied for second in the WAC, and 17th nationally, in sacks with 9.5 and 0.79 per game ... He was also fourth in the WAC and 30th nationally in tackles for loss at 15.0 on the year and 1.25 per game ...
Converted to defensive end full-time (he played linebacker in 2007 as a freshman), Moch flourished in Nevada’s 4-3 scheme.

2007: Did not start but saw playing time in all 13 games in the linebacking corps as a defensive end and on special teams … Recorded 13 tackles with 3.5 sacks on the year … Had a sack against Idaho, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech … Forced a fumble against Louisiana Tech and recovered another against Nicholls State … Broke up three passes on the year … Earned first career varsity letter.

2006: Redshirted his first year at Nevada.

HIGH SCHOOL

A graduate of Hamilton High School in Chandler, Ariz. … Earned first-team all-state honors … Played on state championship squads in 2004 and 2005 … Was a first-team all-region selection … Won the state 200-meter title.

PERSONAL

Born Dontay Courtney Moch on July 19, 1988 … Son of Rakell Wesley and Robert Moch … Older brother, Mekell, plays football at San Diego State … Has two younger sisters.

uplink
01-12-2011, 11:36 PM

Yeah, he won't get past the rai'das pick

serious hops
01-12-2011, 11:39 PM

Have you told Bill Belichick who it is? He has Oakland's first this year.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2011.php

serious hops
01-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Can he do a backflip?

or jump out of a pool???

Who cares? I think we should take him at #2-- it's the only way to be sure.

OBF1
01-12-2011, 11:41 PM
If he ran those times 4 1/2 months ago, are you telling me not a single one of us heard that? Come on, It would have been all over every NFL draft report at that time.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Boise State statline: 8 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 1/2 TFL. He's 13th in NCAA history in TFL.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
If he ran those times 4 1/2 months ago, are you telling me not a single one of us heard that? Come on, It would have been all over every NFL draft report at that time.
I'm not telling you anything. It's reported all over the web that NFL scouts timed him, and the kid himself as well as his coach confirm it. It will be apparent soon enough if they're lying.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Not much in the way of videos but a few; he's obviously fast off the edge for sure. If we had a couple monsters inside he might be a Robert Mathis type guy we could actually play at the DE spot in a 4-3.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Who cares? I think we should take him at #2-- it's the only way to be sure.
If he busts anything remotely close to a 4.2 at the combine, he's gonne rocket up the charts.

serious hops
01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
If he busts anything remotely close to a 4.2 at the combine, he's gonne rocket up the charts.

I was obviously being sarcastic, but it's happened before. Some of those guys turn out to be Matt Jones or Mike Mamula, though.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:52 PM

He's productive big time on the field also. If you don't think a sub 4.2 forty on a 245 pound DE isn't going to get NFL teams attention, think again. That's insane speed for somebody that big.

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I was obviously being sarcastic, but it's happened before. Some of those guys turn out to be Matt Jones or Mike Mamula, though.
Listening to some of these comments...one guy spent about 5 seconds before deciding he couldn't play...one wonders why these teams even bother to hire scouts. This guy isn't just a track guy, he's producing on the field.

MagicHef
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
His last name is pretty much custom made for puns, so there's another plus.

OBF1
01-12-2011, 11:58 PM
He's productive big time on the field also. If you don't think a sub 4.2 forty on a 245 pound DE isn't going to get NFL teams attention, think again. That's insane speed for ANYONE IN THE WORLD.

fixed it for you

BowlenBall
01-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Meh...

Every year, someone someone says that they've run a 4.2 in spring training... then come combine time, they bust out with something in the mid 4.4s. I'll believe it when I see it in Indianapolis. I'll give even odds to anybody that he won't break 4.4.

That being said -- Moch is a great combination of production + measurables, and I'm a fan of his game. He WILL go in the 1st round, and if he does actually run a sub-4.4, I think he'd have to be a top-10 pick.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Meh...

Every year, someone someone says that they've run a 4.2 in spring training... then come combine time, they bust out with something in the mid 4.4s. I'll believe it when I see it in Indianapolis. I'll give even odds to anybody that he won't break 4.4.

That being said -- Moch is a great combination of production + measurables, and I'm a fan of his game. He WILL go in the 1st round, and if he does actually run a sub-4.4, I think he'd have to be a top-10 pick.
I agree, but in this case, you've got three NFL scouts who apparently confirm it, he himself and his coach as well confirm it. But you're right, even if he runs under 4.4 he's right there as the fastest LB in the NFL it looks like. Some reports I read also say he's surprisingly strong at the point of attack as well. BTW...this dude came to Nevada as a safety, and he was a high school sprint champion in the 100 and 200...quite an exceptional athlete.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Why is he playing linebacker? Should be a running back...

Baba Booey
01-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Boise State statline: 8 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 1/2 TFL. He's 13th in NCAA history in TFL.

Yet he has no idea how to play football.

Good call Walt.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 12:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gtsE4RxIt4

I'm not seeing it. Apparently he's playing the wrong position...

Seriously he looks like a very mediocre player overall. DE/OLB is about a lot more than speed.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 12:27 AM
He's actually a DE in their 4-3 defense projected to OLB in the 3-4, and he arrived as a safety...imagine a safety that big and fast.

BowlenBall
01-13-2011, 12:28 AM

Hell -- if he's running 4.2s, that means he's faster than every wide receiver in the NFL, including those two midget receivers who were the NCAA 100 meter champion and runner-up last year. He'd have a step or two on Chris Johnson, Deion Sanders, or Bo Jackson in a footrace. Just not plausible.

I call shenanigans.
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/a/a0/KyleSouthPark.gif

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 12:30 AM

Seriously he looks like a very mediocre player overall. DE/OLB is about a lot more than speed.
I see, and you deternined this by watching a few minutes of one game on video right?

WAC Defensive Player of the Year
All Time WAC leader in Sacks and TFL
6th All Time in NCAA history in TFL

21 1/2 sacks the last two years, most while double teamed

Yep...you're right he's obviously very mediocre.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Hell -- if he's running 4.2s, that means he's faster than every wide receiver in the NFL, including those two midget receivers who were the NCAA 100 meter champion and runner-up last year. He'd have a step or two on Chris Johnson, Deion Sanders, or Bo Jackson in a footrace. Just not plausible.

I call shenanigans.
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/a/a0/KyleSouthPark.gif
Yeah that's what's crazy about it, but when you consdier it was Bo Jackson who ran 4.18 at 230 pounds, and that was what...about '84? That was 26 years ago, so is it really so unbelievable? It's a pretty elongated story to make up and they claim three NFL scouts timed him. That's a pretty bold faced lie if it's a lie...it's easy to say what happened with your coach holding the stopwatch...this guy says NFL scouts timed him. So does his coach. You're right...not plausible, but damn...what if its true?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 12:41 AM
I see, and you deternined this by watching a few minutes of one game on video right?

He looks weak for his position and not all that fast in that video (straight line track speed doesn't mean that much when you are rushing the passer). It's the only video on the net that I could find of him playing. And keep in mind that his stats were amassed against very weak competition. It would seem to me that if he is such a freakish athlete it would be apparent in any game he played in. It wasn't.

OrangeSe7en
01-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah that's what's crazy about it, but when you consdier it was Bo Jackson who ran 4.18 at 230 pounds, and that was what...about '84? That was 26 years ago, so is it really so unbelievable? It's a pretty elongated story to make up and they claim three NFL scouts timed him. That's a pretty bold faced lie if it's a lie...it's easy to say what happened with your coach holding the stopwatch...this guy says NFL scouts timed him. So does his coach. You're right...not plausible, but damn...what if its true?

He was hand timed as low as 4.12/4.13/4.14. I think his weight was around 222. It would have been 1986.

BowlenBall
01-13-2011, 12:49 AM
He looks weak for his position and not all that fast in that video (straight line track speed doesn't mean that much when you are rushing the passer). It's the only video on the net that I could find of him playing. And keep in mind that his stats were amassed against very weak competition. It would seem to me that if he is such a freakish athlete it would be apparent in any game he played in. It wasn't.

To play devil's advocate:

1) Nevada is a mid-major school, and will end up being ranked in the top 10 -- Moch seemed to amass pretty good stats regardless of the opponent, including Boise State. Given his eye-popping career stats, I think it's fair to say he's got game, at the very least.

2) Moch is clearly a very fast player -- it just remains to be seen HOW fast. I think that if he weights over 230 and runs under 4.6, he'll go in the first round. If he breaks 4.4, he's a top 10 pick. Either way, he's no sleeper, and should be off the board by the time we make our pick at #36.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Wow...you're a real idiot huh? You admit you saw him in one video and yet you claim he didn't dominate in other games... and on top of this, you've actually only known about this guy for less than an hour, have never seen him play in person apparently, totally ignore the fact that he's dominated his conference and set historical marks in tackles behind the LOS...and there are plenty of WAC player in the NFL, not liike he's playing at Slippery Rock...and based on literally nothing...you're saying the guy can't play?

Nothing personal, you just seem disturbingly dumb...or else you're a troll. BTW he also dominated Maryland and Missouri as well as Boise State...that's not weak competition.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 12:57 AM
To play devil's advocate:

1) Nevada is a mid-major school, and will end up being ranked in the top 10 -- Moch seemed to amass pretty good stats regardless of the opponent, including Boise State. Given his eye-popping career stats, I think it's fair to say he's got game, at the very least.

2) Moch is clearly a very fast player -- it just remains to be seen HOW fast. I think that if he weights over 230 and runs under 4.6, he'll go in the first round. If he breaks 4.4, he's a top 10 pick. Either way, he's no sleeper, and should be off the board by the time we make our pick at #36.
Agreed. I wonder if Miami would part with their 1st for Orton and a 3rd from us? Personally the guy I'd like to sneak back into the 1st round to get is Stephen Paea if he's there areound 20, but this kid and that kind of speed if it's legit...that makes you pause. If he breaks the top 10 the only way we take him is if we trade down, say to 8 and pick up maybe a pick in the low 20's as well.

Nevada just beat Boston College as well. They had an amazing offense and they beat Boise...hardly a stiff team like Agamemnon is claiming.

mr007
01-13-2011, 01:00 AM

Where are you getting the mostly while double teamed information? I think you're a bit too amped on this guy considering the school and competition. Pretty sure we all would have heard a lot more about him by now.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:05 AM
I looked up his stats against Missouri, 6 tackles, 3 1/2 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 FF...pretty nice game.

Zoobie
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Straight line speed is great, and again i'm not down playing how epic that would be if he did it at the combine. However, i'll be more interested to see how he does in the cone drill. Does he have lateral quickness, good feet, and balance?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Wow...you're a real idiot huh? You admit you saw him in one video and yet you claim he didn't dominate in other games... and on top of this, you've actually only known about this guy for less than an hour, have never seen him play in person apparently, totally ignore the fact that he's dominated his conference and set historical marks in tackles behind the LOS...and there are plenty of WAC player in the NFL, not liike he's playing at Slippery Rock...and based on literally nothing...you're saying the guy can't play?

Nothing personal, you just seem disturbingly dumb...or else you're a troll. BTW he also dominated Maryland and Missouri as well as Boise State...that's not weak competition.

What's with the personal attacks? I went and found a video of him playing and simply commented on it. In that one video he didn't look that impressive. Why are you so emotionally attached to this guy? His stats and his speed are only a part of the story. Scouts seem to be very split on him as well from what I'm seeing.

Anyway I'm not an expert on the guy. Maybe he's the next Lawrence Taylor. I don't know. He just didn't look that good in the one gameplay video I could find. Not sure what I'm supposed to say when the only gameplay I see of him is underwhelming. I guess stats and 40 time > all to you.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Where are you getting the mostly while double teamed information? I think you're a bit too amped on this guy considering the school and competition. Pretty sure we all would have heard a lot more about him by now.
Nevada will finish top 10 or close, they beat Boise and Boston College, came close against Missouri. They're a pretty good team and the while the WAC isn't the SEC, it's sending players to the NFl on a regular basis so why knock it?

There's a video on the web: (http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204861982&DB_OEM_ID=10000)...he's being interviewed and he talks about it (being doubled). Looking back at it though I think he was mostly doubled this past year when he had 6 1/2 sacks and he lost the other DE next to him to the NFL. Still very good numbers.

I'm amped on the guy because he sounds like a very interesting prospect and one we might have a shot at.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Nevada will finish top 10 or close, they beat Boise and Boston College, came close against Missouri. They're a pretty good team and the while the WAC isn't the SEC, it's sending players to the NFl on a regular basis so why knock it?

Why knock it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188442

Look at the teams he played against and had his biggest games against.

3 of his 9 sacks came against 2-10 New Mexico State.

2 came against a Hawaii team that had terrible protection all year (34 sacks allowed on the season).

3 more came against teams that had a total of 10 wins combined.

So he had one sack against quality competition and the rest were against teams with weak protection to say the least. Sorry, but all of this very much does matter. Getting a mere 9 sacks as a speed rusher against a cupcake schedule like that does not seem to project well to the NFL.

BowlenBall
01-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Straight line speed is great, and again i'm not down playing how epic that would be if he did it at the combine. However, i'll be more interested to see how he does in the cone drill. Does he have lateral quickness, good feet, and balance?

The other issue is that he played at the DE position in college -- I think it still remains to be seen how instinctive he would be at the OLB spot and in coverage. His position drills at the combine will be VERY closely watched by scouts.

Can't deny that the kid has great career stats, though:
2007: 3.5 sacks, 6 tackles for loss
2008:11.5 sacks, 15 tackles for loss
2009: 6.5 sacks, 20 tackles for loss
2010: 8 sacks, 22 tackles for loss
Career: 29.5 sacks, 63 tackles for loss

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:35 AM
What's with the personal attacks? I went and found a video of him playing and simply commented on it. In that one video he didn't look that impressive. Why are you so emotionally attached to this guy? His stats and his speed are only a part of the story. Scouts seem to be very split on him as well from what I'm seeing.
Why? Because it irks me when I take time to look up detailed information on a player, post videos, stats, etc to make a new thread...and someone comes along and literally within a couple of minutes you're saying the guy can't play, not based on something you yourself know about him...you already admitted you didn't know anything about him. That's laziness, and I see it in here all the time. If you want to disagree, fine I have no problem with it but cripes...why not do so after at least taking some time to look things up? Seriously...you don't think it's dumb to admit that you saw only one short video of him (there are more) and yet you're claiming his talent wasn't obvious in other games and he's "a very mediocre player"? You didn't see any other games so how would you know? That's what I call a crap post, when you do next to nothing and then post something useless.

Also...the game you watched against Mizzou where you say he didn't look impressive...6 tackes, 3 1/2 TFL, 1 sack and 1 FF, and he reportedly spent much of the day in the Mizzou QB's face.
Anyway I'm not an expert on the guy. Maybe he's the next Lawrence Taylor. I don't know. He just didn't look that good in the one gameplay video I could find. Not sure what I'm supposed to say when the only gameplay I see of him is underwhelming. I guess stats and 40 time > all to you.
Obviously you saw a fraction of the game and those highlights were not even featuring him. What should you say? Obviously with that little bit of information, say NOTHING till you do some recon or at least more than you did...don't just catch 3 minutes of video not even focused on this guy and say he's not impressive when the game stats show otherwise.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Why knock it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188442

Look at the teams he played against and had his biggest games against.

3 of his 9 sacks came against 2-10 New Mexico State.

2 came against a Hawaii team that had terrible protection all year (34 sacks allowed on the season).

3 more came against teams that had a total of 10 wins combined.

So he had one sack against quality competition and the rest were against teams with weak protection to say the least. Sorry, but all of this very much does matter. Getting a mere 9 sacks as a speed rusher against a cupcake schedule like that does not seem to project well to the NFL.
Uh huh...Boise State? He had 8 tackles, 3 sacks 3 1/s TFL...weak competition there too? Also had a sack against Cal. Since you're looking at this year you have to add in that he was double teamed all year from what I've now heard. Besides...you said yourself you didn't see him, yet here you go again commenting on what the stats mean. I suppose the 63 TFL all came against lousy teams also right?

The point I'm making is...you've flat out said you've never seen the guy and yet you're telling us he can't play. You even describe him as "very mediocre player". Honestly...is that what you actually think? Why would you think this when you admit you knew nothing of him till just now?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Why? Because it irks me when I take time to look up detailed information on a player, post videos, stats, etc to make a new thread...and someone comes along and literally within a couple of minutes you're saying the guy can't play, not based on something you yourself know about him...you already admitted you didn't know anything about him. That's laziness, and I see it in here all the time. If you want to disagree, fine I have no problem with it but cripes...why not do so after at least taking some time to look things up? Seriously...you don't think it's dumb to admit that you saw only one short video of him (there are more) and yet you're claiming his talent wasn't obvious in other games and he's "a very mediocre player"? You didn't see any other games so how would you know? That's what I call a crap post, when you do next to nothing and then post something useless.

Also...the game you watched against Mizzou where you say he didn't look impressive...6 tackes, 3 1/2 TFL, 1 sack and 1 FF, and he reportedly spent much of the day in the Mizzou QB's face.

Obviously you saw a fraction of the game and those highlights were not even featuring him. What should you say? Obviously with that little bit of information, say NOTHING till you do some recon or at least more than you did...don't just catch 3 minutes of video not even focused on this guy and say he's not impressive when the game stats show otherwise.

Wow, you are seriously a little fanatical about this guy...

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Uh huh...Boise State? He had 8 tackles, 3 sacks 3 1/s TFL...weak competition there too? Also...since you're looking at this year you have to add in that he was double teamed all year from what I've now heard. Besides...you said yourself you didn't see him, yet here you go again commenting on what the stats mean. I suppose the 63 TFL all came against lousy teams also right?

The point I'm making is...you've flat out said you've never seen the guy and yet you're telling us he can't play. You even describe him as "very mediocre player". Honestly...is that what you actually think? Why would you think this when you admit you knew nothing of him till just now?

I didn't say he was a very mediocre player. I said he looked like a very mediocre player based off the one video I could find of him.

Anyway, neither of us have watched him play. You're whole fixation on the guy is based off his stats and his 40 time. I'm skeptical based off the weak competition he faced throughout his college career, and the fact that some scouts say he's not that great. Neither of us are experts on the guy, and you are making yourself look like a bit of an ass on the topic.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Wow, you are seriously a little fanatical about this guy...
Dude....I'm not fanatical about any of this. I'm just annoyed at how often people do absolutely zero research before posting something just to take the opposing view. I don't care if you agree, but at least try to think through what you're saying and why. You say you've never seen the guy play and then you say he can't play! That's amazing to me...

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:56 AM
I didn't say he was a very mediocre player. I said he looked like a very mediocre player based off the one video I could find of him.

Anyway, neither of us have watched him play. You're whole fixation on the guy is based off his stats and his 40 time. I'm skeptical based off the weak competition he faced throughout his college career, and the fact that some scouts say he's not that great. Neither of us are experts on the guy, and you are making yourself look like a bit of an ass on the topic.
What scouts opinions have you read? Please post a link to that.

You act like the WAC isn't NCAA DI football. Walter Payton and Jerry Rice played against weaker ccompetition in college too, not even DI competition. And you miss the entire point of the thread. The point is about this guys speed, and whether it's legit or not and if it is, how high will he go? I never said I'd seen the guy either...actually I watched him against BC the other night...but again, not the point.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 02:15 AM
What scouts opinions have you read? Please post a link to that.

You act like the WAC isn't NCAA DI football. Walter Payton and Jerry Rice played against weaker ccompetition in college too, not even DI competition. And you miss the entire point of the thread. The point is about this guys speed, and whether it's legit or not and if it is, how high will he go? I never said I'd seen the guy either...actually I watched him against BC the other night...but again, not the point.

That was part of my point watching the video I posted. His speed didn't look as elite as his reported 40 time would indicate. He looked fast, just not as freakishly fast as I expected based off those reported 40 times.

Here are links to a couple reports that seemed to be less than glowing:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011OLB3-4.php

http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/profiles/player/125214/Dontay_Moch.jsp

What bothers me is that a few reports I found that are more positive overall still point out that he isn't very strong and that he gets caught up on blocks. So basically he's relying completely on his speed, and in the NFL I just don't think that will work.

ghwk
01-13-2011, 02:34 AM
He's projected 2nd or 3rd round, but the combines not here yet.

WAC preview: Nevada defense moves at Dontay Moch speed

Updated 8/19/2010 12:28 AM

By David B. Parker, Reno Gazette-Journal

Nevada Wolf Pack defensive end Dontay Moch has shocked scouts and victimized offensive linemen with his elite speed.

By Chris Murray, Reno Gazette-Journal

RENO — The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches.

They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it.

Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again.

He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again.

On his third and final try, he covered the 40 yards in 4.2 seconds. Maybe he was a little tired, but even that time is run by only the most nimble wide receivers and cornerbacks.

Imagine a 6-1, 245-pound defensive end such as Moch running it. Unthinkable.

"He has freakish talent," Wolf Pack defensive coordinator Andy Buh said. "Freakish talent. That would be my two words for Dontay Moch. When he puts his mind to it, he's unstoppable."

Read the rest here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2010-08-18-preview-nevada-dontay-moch_N.htm

That's the part of the quote I can't get past, makes it sound like he doesn't always work hard and takes plays off.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 02:36 AM
That was part of my point watching the video I posted. His speed didn't look as elite as his reported 40 time would indicate. He looked fast, just not as freakishly fast as I expected based off those reported 40 times.
You saw him rushing the passer, fighting off an offensive tackle. Did you expect to see him run 40 yards downfield in the game? How could you know how his speed translated on the field basedon a few plays where you saw him in the line? That's a seriously silly statement.
Here are links to a couple reports that seemed to be less than glowing:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011OLB3-4.php

http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/profiles/player/125214/Dontay_Moch.jsp
Neither of these sites is associated with NFL scouts, and Walter Cherepinsky? Seriously...that's your source? He's not an NFL scout either he's an entrepreneur, a guy trying to get in on the financial windfall for publishing info on the draft...ala Kiper and these other clowns doing the same thing. At the bottom of that 2nd link, they tell you point blank they're not associated with the NFL. So your statement on what scouts said is bogus. We've not read one word from scouts yet.
What bothers me is that a few reports I found that are more positive overall still point out that he isn't very strong and that he gets caught up on blocks. So basically he's relying completely on his speed, and in the NFL I just don't think that will work.
Dude...go read virtually ANY scouting report on almost ANY player, and you're going to see negatives or things they need to work on listed since ALL these guys have things to work on. On top of that, I found information that says he's surprisingly strong at the point of atack. You're making a big leap in assuming all this stuff about only relying on his speed. I repeat...by your own admission you've never seen him, no scouts opinions are cited...where are you getting this from? ???

This guy was the Nevada state champion in the 100 meters (10.78), 400 relay (41.78) and 200 meters (21.84) as a junior. He set these marks weighing 220 pounds. Most high school sprint champions go to college football programs as receivers, running backs or corners. In fact he was recruited as a safety, but now he's 245 pounds and apparently hasn't lost any speed.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 02:38 AM
That's the part of the quote I can't get past, makes it sound like he doesn't always work hard and takes plays off.
Does it? Or is it just coach-speak? That's an awful lot to assume base on a single comment dont' you think?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 02:44 AM
You saw him rushing the passer, fighting off an offensive tackle. Did you expect to see him run 40 yards downfield in the game? How could you know how his speed translated on the field basedon a few plays where you saw him in the line? That's a seriously silly statement.

Neither of these sites is associated with NFL scouts, and Walter Cherepinsky? Seriously...that's your source? He's not an NFL scout either he's an entrepreneur, a guy trying to get in on the financial windfall for publishing info on the draft...ala Kiper and these other clowns doing the same thing. At the bottom of that 2nd link, they tell you point blank they're not associated with the NFL. So your statement on what scouts said is bogus. We've not read one word from scouts yet.

Dude...go read virtually ANY scouting report on almost ANY player, and you're going to see negatives or things they need to work on listed since ALL these guys have things to work on. On top of that, I found information that says he's surprisingly strong at the point of atack. You're making a big leap in assuming all this stuff about only relying on his speed. I repeat...by your own admission you've never seen him, no scouts opinions are cited...where are you getting this from? ???

This guy was the Nevada state champion in the 100 meters (10.78), 400 relay (41.78) and 200 meters (21.84) as a junior. He set these marks weighing 220 pounds. Most high school sprint champions go to college football programs as receivers, running backs or corners. In fact he was recruited as a safety, but now he's 245 pounds and apparently hasn't lost any speed.

You are completely irrational regarding this guy. Moving on...

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 02:51 AM
You are completely irrational regarding this guy. Moving on...
I bring facts to the table...annoying isn't it? :welcome:

You failed to answer any argument I made, so it's best to move on.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Interesting...college 100 meter times for Deon Sanders (10.21) and Bo Jackson (10.35). This kid ran a 10.78 AS A HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR. He weighed 220 pounds at the time...a 17 year old.

No matter how you slice it, whether he ran 4.08, 4.18 or 4.2...hell if he ran 4.4...he's damn fast for a 245 pound defensive end/linebacker.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 02:56 AM
I bring facts to the table...annoying isn't it? :welcome:

You failed to answer any argument I made, so it's best to move on.

The facts? Hilarious!

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 03:20 AM
The facts? Hilarious!
Yeah...facts are things you can prove. Example: his HS sprint times are a checkable fact. His college game stats are facts also as his combine numbers will be. You brought an opinion based on watching a single short video of one game, and a video not even specificlaly focusing on him, and from that extrapolated that he "looks like a very mediocre player", and based on watching him rush the passer a few times you added that you couldn't see his speed translating to the NFL. Do real NFL scouts even work up an opinion that fast with that little to go on?

Nope.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 03:23 AM
This guy has some glowing things to say about him:

http://packerchatters.com/?p=22296

Broncoman13
01-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Darn, was hoping that Med had posted on this thread. About a Month-Month and a half ago, when I was drooling over Nick Fairley, Med told me he was reviewing this Moch kid. Can't remember what he was saying about him, but something had definitely caught his attention with him.

What people need to realize is this kid has Dwight Freeney like size speed coming out of college... assuming that he runs in the 4.4 range rather than the 4.2 or 4.3 range. He can run a 4.5 and be in the elite range for his position.

He has been productive, but his draft slotting seems low. Why do you think that is? There has to be something to the Football IQ questions. Or maybe he's a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane type player? I don't know. I've seen him once, and that was against Boise St when they upset them in the finale. He looked good to me there.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Darn, was hoping that Med had posted on this thread. About a Month-Month and a half ago, when I was drooling over Nick Fairley, Med told me he was reviewing this Moch kid. Can't remember what he was saying about him, but something had definitely caught his attention with him.

What people need to realize is this kid has Dwight Freeney like size speed coming out of college... assuming that he runs in the 4.4 range rather than the 4.2 or 4.3 range. He can run a 4.5 and be in the elite range for his position.

He has been productive, but his draft slotting seems low. Why do you think that is? There has to be something to the Football IQ questions. Or maybe he's a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane type player? I don't know. I've seen him once, and that was against Boise St when they upset them in the finale. He looked good to me there.
He looked good to me the other night and what little video I can find he looks really quick off the edge. I wonder if he's a victim of the success of Nevada's offense, the pistol or whatever they call it. They chewed up enormous chunks of real estate with two thousand yard backs and a QB who is an all around Tebow-like performer. Some people think that offense was gimmicky...and Nevada seems like they fly under the radar. You're making the right point though...I want to know more too. If he's there at #36 somehow...???

worm
01-13-2011, 05:13 AM
I have watched a ton of Wolfpack football over the last two years as I am a huge Kaepernick fan. (believe he will be a very good NFL QB). Seen them live a number of times as well over this period.

Moch is the real deal.....BUT he is not as big as advertised. Plus he is short.

If we didn't have Elvis.....maybe. However, how do you get those two on the field together?

Course with him and Mays out there together.....we could have the best munchkin lb corp in the NFL.

Mediator12
01-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Kid is unreal. However, he has a lot to learn in his technique, especially as a pass rusher since he was a safety in High school and has only played DL for awhile. My thoughts are why did they move him to DE? Why not have an insanely fast, huge safety Linebacker Rover Hybrid? You know like Brian Urlacher before him?

In short, the Kid is a project just like all the late to position players coming out. In his case, he went from the secondary, to the DL, and now projects back to a new position at LB. Having an athlete like him, with no real position established at the next level is why he is a project coming out. A smart DC and a smart defense could make him the next Polomalu or he could be the next Donte Whitner with more speed.

He is simply a projection as an athlete right now and it will make his overall grade and his scheme grades fluctuate wildly depending on what position he actually projects to play fro each team.

oubronco
01-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Speed kills

BlueCrusher
01-13-2011, 06:49 AM

That is exactly what I thought when I ready this...

Kaylore
01-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Dude....I'm not fanatical about any of this. I'm just annoyed at how often people do absolutely zero research before posting something just to take the opposing view. I don't care if you agree, but at least try to think through what you're saying and why. You say you've never seen the guy play and then you say he can't play! That's amazing to me...
I think the problem is you're coming across as a fan boy. You've read some things online and then started a thread on someone hysterically demanding we draft player because he runs fast. He may be a great player, and he may even be a Bronco for all we know, but forgive peoples' skepticism and tempered enthusiasm that we don't love the player you just learned about. The OM graveyard is littered with threads of "OMG DRAFT MY FAVORITE PLAYER IF WE DONT ILL HATE THE BRONCOS!!!!!11!!!!"

This all makes for another one of your famous threads where 70% of the posts are your own.

bendog
01-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Well, he's bigger than Ian Gold

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I have watched a ton of Wolfpack football over the last two years as I am a huge Kaepernick fan. (believe he will be a very good NFL QB). Seen them live a number of times as well over this period.

Moch is the real deal.....BUT he is not as big as advertised. Plus he is short.

If we didn't have Elvis.....maybe. However, how do you get those two on the field together?

Course with him and Mays out there together.....we could have the best munchkin lb corp in the NFL.
That Kaipernick kid is interesting, in fact he's very interesting if we didn't already have Tebow. I know he's a developmental guy but 6'6" can't be coached and he's got some nice speed, plus even though he looks skinny, they list him at 225, which is probably really 215 but I bet he can put on at least 20 pounds in a couple years.

How short is short? He's listed at 6'1". I don't get the problem with that really...people forget Ricky Jackson was something like 5'9" and like Elvis he was great with leverage. As for Doom, if we go to a 4-3 I don't think he's worth as much to us as he is in trade. He's a 15 sack guy and a pro bowler in the 3-4 and at best a slilghtly above average DE who struggles against the run if he plays on the line. Elvis is a 500 pound BP guy so you know he's not small, just short. People sneer at the idea of him ever playing LB in the 4-3 but I think he could do it if they devoted a training camp to it. They won't though, so it doesn't matter...however if we could get a mid-first round pick for him rather than play him in the 4-3 we might be able to snag somebody like Robert Quinn who is a true 4-3 DE and goes almost 270. Then we have Orton, who I think will return a 2nd due to the shortage in the market, and if we were to trade himi to the Dolphins where he's reuinted with Marshall, we might squeeze their #1 out of them, especially if we threw in a 3rd. One way or the other I'd like to get back into the first for a shot at Paea. If we came out of this draft with Peterson, Paea and maybe this kid...or a guy like Miller at Lb maybe...Crick, etc...how sweet would that be? We can fill at least 3 front 7 starting positions in this draft if we are smart.

colonelbeef
01-13-2011, 07:44 AM

cosign.

People questioned Clay Matthews' speed coming out of college, hows that working out

Pony Boy
01-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Might be like the Gorilla that could hit a driver 580 yds, it's was pretty impressive until he putted the ball 580 yds.

Mr.Meanie
01-13-2011, 07:50 AM

You must be new to the internets...

SouthStndJunkie
01-13-2011, 08:00 AM
How short is short? He's listed at 6'1". I don't get the problem with that really...people forget Ricky Jackson was something like 5'9" and like Elvis he was great with leverage.

You sure you're not think about Sam Mills?

Rickey Jackson was 6'2.

Hamrob
01-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I read about him a couple of months ago...when I started thinking about the draft. Most early Mock Drafts having him listed as a 2nd or 3rd round talent at OLB. From what most sites say...he's raw and doesn't have great football insticts...but, plenty of athletesim.

JDub15
01-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Dontay Moch is absurd and will have a Clay Matthews like impact in the NFL. He could play any one of the LB positions in the 3-4 or be an undersized 4-3 end for a team like the Colts. I've seen him go from a 3-point-stance and flip his hips and cover the opposition's slot receiver 30 yards down field and defend a pass during the Boise St. game. He is unbelievably versatile.

If the team who drafts him uses him like Clay Matthews and lines him up all over the defense, Dontay will be as impacting as Matthews.

Right now I believe he's considered a late 2nd round, early 3rd round pick. I would sure love to see him in Denver next year.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Kid is unreal. However, he has a lot to learn in his technique, especially as a pass rusher since he was a safety in High school and has only played DL for awhile. My thoughts are why did they move him to DE? Why not have an insanely fast, huge safety Linebacker Rover Hybrid? You know like Brian Urlacher before him?

In short, the Kid is a project just like all the late to position players coming out. In his case, he went from the secondary, to the DL, and now projects back to a new position at LB. Having an athlete like him, with no real position established at the next level is why he is a project coming out. A smart DC and a smart defense could make him the next Polomalu or he could be the next Donte Whitner with more speed.

He is simply a projection as an athlete right now and it will make his overall grade and his scheme grades fluctuate wildly depending on what position he actually projects to play fro each team.
OK thanks I'm glad someone who'se actually been studying up on the guy can shed some light. The question I would have asked though is, "Has anyone ever heard of a high school safety switching to DE in a 4-3 defensive alignment his freshman year in college and going on to start a game at that position? I've never heard of even that much, let alone a guy having tremendous success at it. That's like going from WR to OT on the offensive line. That's some kind of athletic versitility. I'd be down with drafting the kid a little higher than he's expected to go if they're sure he can play with the right coaching and patience. If he turns out to make a similar position transfer in the pros as he did in college, with even close to that kind of success he'd be a huge steal even in the bottom half of the firsr round. It's definitely a gamble but the upside makes you sit up and pay attention doesn't it? Imagine this cat in front of Patrick Peterson with Champ Baily in the deep zone patrolling around like a center fielder. Speed does kill...does it ever. Dallas built that D they had in the JJ years with pure speed and quickness. He'd done the same thing at the U so he knew what he was doing. I just hope we've got the coaching expertise to take on kids with this kind of talent and actually develope them instead of cutting them and seeing them succeed elsewhere.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Dontay Moch is absurd and will have a Clay Matthews like impact in the NFL. He could play any one of the LB positions in the 3-4 or be an undersized 4-3 end for a team like the Colts. I've seen him go from a 3-point-stance and flip his hips and cover the opposition's slot receiver 30 yards down field and defend a pass during the Boise St. game. He is unbelievably versatile.

If the team who drafts him uses him like Clay Matthews and lines him up all over the defense, Dontay will be as impacting as Matthews.

Right now I believe he's considered a late 2nd round, early 3rd round pick. I would sure love to see him in Denver next year.
Eh...link? I saw it posted and I know you weren't trying to plagerize, just forgetting that you need some quotes...thanks.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 08:46 AM
So my question would be: Does this guy have the athleticism that translates to being an ILB? I think that is a far weaker position in Denver, and if this guy is versatile enough, it would be helpful to have all of the best players on the field at the same time.

Smiling Assassin27
01-13-2011, 09:04 AM

+1

speed/size is nice. however, instincts, leverage, brains, and hunger are the key to a productive NFL career. that said, the guy's not out of the question as a second rounder, particularly if we stay in a 3-4 alignment. doom started out as a pass rush end and developed into an every down player. i could see this guy developing into something similar, though speed alone won't get you sacks in this league like it did in college.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I think the problem is you're coming across as a fan boy. You've read some things online and then started a thread on someone hysterically demanding we draft player because he runs fast. He may be a great player, and he may even be a Bronco for all we know, but forgive peoples' skepticism and tempered enthusiasm that we don't love the player you just learned about. The OM graveyard is littered with threads of "OMG DRAFT MY FAVORITE PLAYER IF WE DONT ILL HATE THE BRONCOS!!!!!11!!!!"

This all makes for another one of your famous threads where 70% of the posts are your own.
That's because I have to break things up into small bites for you and those with similar "issues". Fact is...nothing you said is accurate, since I; 1) never said we should draft him, let alone "demanded" it, and 2) you obviously haven't read the thread or else you don't read well since I've not based the discussion soley on his speed, even though that's the thread's title. So way to read the title and pretend you read anything else...go back and get your phonics cards so you can re-read what I said with Mediator. Also...did you happen to catch anyone elses opinion on here? No...you didn't, because you think just because you're stuck in this weird-ass move time warp for treckiie geeks that everyone else's thinking is screwed up too....Wrong...now run along an find something to pimp up for McD's rep or whatever it is you do on here at this time...always a pleasure hombre. ;D 4321~_i_O_i_Nyah!:punched:

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
So my question would be: Does this guy have the athleticism that translates to being an ILB? I think that is a far weaker position in Denver, and if this guy is versatile enough, it would be helpful to have all of the best players on the field at the same time.
Read that link about how he can be moved around the field like we used to use Mecklenburg...what I'm attracted to is the idea that reguardless of what position we put him at ultimately, if he just gets on the field and gets a chance to use his athleticism and make plays, we potentially would have 3 dynamic playmakers on the field at the same time. If we draft Fairley, we have him, this guy and Champ. If we take Peterson, it's him and Champ and this kid who might even play up on the line like Freeney. What an intriguing prospect it is to think of having so much flexibility all throughout the defensive lineup, especially if we could package and move up for a guy like Paea. We really have to get something good for Orton the more I think about it. Let's not give him away for nothing. If we work the draft right there's bound to be a way to move up for whoever they want to. I can't wait to see how Elway handles all this and what level of interaction he's doing on the personnel evaluation side of the draft.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Can you imgine a 245 pound safety that fast?

That's crazy. Put him at safety and then blitz his azzz

boppool
01-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I know I can use him in my team ... My Madden Broncos team. His speed attribute's got to be 100. at least 10 sacks every game, hell yeah.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 10:12 AM
This guy sounds a little Brian Urlacher-esqe from the versatility standpoint. Granted he's a little smaller and apparently much faster, but he is similar in that he appears to be able to play several positions. I know Urlacher played on the dline, LB, safety, and returned kicks in college.

Tombstone RJ
so this kid is like 6'1" and 235lbs and runs a 4.2 forty?? Man, I'd take a flyer on him and then put him on special teams as a gunner and then safety on defense...

footstepsfrom#27
That's crazy. Put him at safety and then blitz his azzz
Either that or line him up as a Freeney-type speed rusher off the edge in a base 4-3, then stand him up and the D shifts on the fly to a 3-4, or he drops back as a 245 pound nickel corner lined up inside on the slot receiver...in other words in a nice spot to come straight up the gut like Mecklenburg used to do. Dang that would be sweet to see this defense with the ability to put playmakers on the field on all three levels of the defense.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
so this kid is like 6'1" and 235lbs and runs a 4.2 forty?? Man, I'd take a flyer on him and then put him on special teams as a gunner and then safety on defense...
No he's listed at 6'1", 245, though someone said he's shorter...but according to him and his ooach and apparently a few others, he ran a 4.18 for NFL scouts, beating by .01 Bo Jackson's time as the combines best ever 40. They allegedly refused to believe their equipment so they had him run again. He notcched a 4.08, the fastest forty time ever. They had him run a third time and he clocked the 4.2 at that point. Crazy...would this dude actually have the stones to make all this up? ??? Man that's a bizarre question to ask is'nt it?

If this kid played safety and Peterson played CB, we'd have a 245 pound safety and a 230 pound corner. That's some nasty intimidation in the secondary wow! It will be interesting to follow this dude reguardless of where he goes to see how he fits in.

mr007
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM
That's because I have to break things up into small bites for you and those with similar "issues". Fact is...nothing you said is accurate, since I; 1) never said we should draft him, let alone "demanded" it, and 2) you obviously haven't read the thread or else you don't read well since I've not based the discussion soley on his speed, even though that's the thread's title. So way to read the title and pretend you read anything else...go back and get your phonics cards so you can re-read what I said with Mediator. Also...did you happen to catch anyone elses opinion on here? No...you didn't, because you think just because you're stuck in this weird-ass move time warp for treckiie geeks that everyone else's thinking is screwed up too....Wrong...now run along an find something to pimp up for McD's rep or whatever it is you do on here at this time...always a pleasure hombre. ;D 4321~_i_O_i_Nyah!:punched:

Dude if you don't think based on your discussion that you appear to be coming across as a fan boy for this guy, you're seeing through a different perspective than most.

Rohirrim
01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I think Moch sounds like an amazing weapon. Sounds to me like he'd be a perfect "Jack" LB.

Tombstone RJ
No he's listed at 6'1", 245, though someone said he's shorter...but according to him and his ooach and apparently a few others, he ran a 4.18 for NFL scouts, beating by .01 Bo Jackson's time as the combines best ever 40. They allegedly refused to believe their equipment so they had him run again. He notcched a 4.08, the fastest forty time ever. They had him run a third time and he clocked the 4.2 at that point. Crazy...would this dude actually have the stones to make all this up? ??? Man that's a bizarre question to ask is'nt it?

If this kid played safety and Peterson played CB, we'd have a 245 pound safety and a 230 pound corner. That's some nasty intimidation in the secondary wow! It will be interesting to follow this dude reguardless of where he goes to see how he fits in.

That's even better, he could even drop a few pounds to maximize his speed and ability to change direction and still be a huge safety...

TheReverend
Don't believe it.

Kaylore
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
That's because I have to break things up into small bites for you and those with similar "issues". Fact is...nothing you said is accurate, since I; 1) never said we should draft him, let alone "demanded" it,
Your original post (that you have since edited) said "we have to take a look at this guy." We don't have to do anything just because you got a boner reading about a player.
blah blah blah lots of typing blah blah blah personal attacks
Figures. I wonder if you have idea of how annoying everyone thinks you are around here. Carry on, footsteps. I'm sure you'll post a new thread and post 80,000 replies to yourself in that one too in a day or too.:thumbs:

Slade
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I think he should be a RB...he would be a tank!

Requiem
01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I've only gotten to see a few Nevada games, but Moch can play. He has that DeMarcus Ware type athleticism and a coach who thinks he can mentally put it together and get the most out of his physical tools should be able to make him an incredible player. The critiques I've read on him are use of his hands and limited pass rushing moves, which he will definitely need to improve upon going forward. He is going to have to use more than just speed going forward.

Moch won't go as high as DeMarcus Ware, but they have similar successes and backgrounds IMHO. I think that second to third round mix is probably right, with my gut telling me more on the second round side because of his potential. I think he will go to a 3-4 team.

Is he a player I want to see us select? Depends. Do you think he is going to be able to play an important role on our team, perhaps even start from Day One? What will his role exactly be? I don't know. I'd like all of our players to be technically sounds so they can have that kind of impact.

Workout warriors are in every draft, but he also has the performance to back it up, even though it being at a smaller program.

I believe we do need another pass rushing threat at linebacker, and if Moch is there in the second or third, he may be worth selecting, depending on the value elsewhere. However, even with his potential as a pass rushing terror, I do think there will be more quality players available at our second round selections who have a quicker LTI than he will.

serious hops
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
The critiques I've read on him are use of his hands and limited pass rushing moves, which he will definitely need to improve upon going forward. He is going to have to use more than just speed going forward.

That stuff should be coachable. Anyone know anything about the kid's disposition and work ethic?

Requiem
01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
That stuff should be coachable. Anyone know anything about the kid's disposition and work ethic?

Defensive captain, so he is a leader on the field. Everything I've read on him (articles, clippings, etc.) state that he has a solid work ethic too.

He seems like he loves playing football and wants to get better. He is a quality prospect, but this year with our early selections I'm hoping we take players who can come in and play right away. He will need to be coached up to have the same kind of success in the NFL.

I just wonder when if he is the kind of guy who makes an immediate impact for us right away.

We need that with our first three or four picks, IMHO. Immediate contributors, if not all of them starters.

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 11:53 AM

That has to be the worst "highlight" package I've ever seen of someone if they are hyping a DE/OLB up.

The first play Missouri triple-teamed him, but Nevada only rushed three men. The second play the entire right side of the defense blows up a draw and he gets a half-tackle coming from the other side. The third play is a completion where the right tackle just lets him go right on by and Gabbart has a lane to step up into, and throws a strike for a completion. The fourth play, the right tackle does the exact same thing, which allows Gabbart to get out to his right, buy time and make a huge completion for 30 yards. By the way, once Gabbart escaped he gave up on the play. The fourth play he does get a tackle because Gabbart has no where to go on an option.

I stopped there. Not exactly impressive if I'm trying to put a highlight package together.

He looks like a good, raw talent. Not anything to get too excited about, though. Like a few have mentioned, someone will take a chance on him in the second or third round and try to turn him into a poor man's Demarcus Ware. Its too bad for the kid that Al Davis doesn't have a first round pick, otherwise he could make some serious bank.

2KBack
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Defensive captain, so he is a leader on the field. Everything I've read on him (articles, clippings, etc.) state that he has a solid work ethic too.

He seems like he loves playing football and wants to get better. He is a quality prospect, but this year with our early selections I'm hoping we take players who can come in and play right away. He will need to be coached up to have the same kind of success in the NFL.

I just wonder when if he is the kind of guy who makes an immediate impact for us right away.

We need that with our first three or four picks, IMHO. Immediate contributors, if not all of them starters.

If all of this is to be believed, this kids could easily contribute in situational packages and on special teams right away. I'm all for getting competitive quickly, but I wouldn't want to miss out on a great prospect for short term gain.

oubronco
01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
That has to be the worst "highlight" package I've ever seen of someone if they are hyping a DE/OLB up.

The first play Missouri triple-teamed him, but Nevada only rushed three men. The second play the entire right side of the defense blows up a draw and he gets a half-tackle coming from the other side. The third play is a completion where the right tackle just lets him go right on by and Gabbart has a lane to step up into, and throws a strike for a completion. The fourth play, the right tackle does the exact same thing, which allows Gabbart to get out to his right, buy time and make a huge completion for 30 yards. By the way, once Gabbart escaped he gave up on the play. The fourth play he does get a tackle because Gabbart has no where to go on an option.

I stopped there. Not exactly impressive if I'm trying to put a highlight package together.

He looks like a good, raw talent. Not anything to get too excited about, though. Like a few have mentioned, someone will take a chance on him in the second or third round and try to turn him into a poor man's Demarcus Ware. Its too bad for the kid that Al Davis doesn't have a first round pick, otherwise he could make some serious bank.

Reminded me of a smaller Ayers pretty good when not blocked but doesn't shed blocks and gets lost in the wash

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Reminded me of a smaller Ayers pretty good when not blocked but doesn't shed blocks and gets lost in the wash

I went back and kept watching, and he finally made three plays. Unblocked on a zone-read pass/run option, and a sack/fumble where he beat the guard on a delayed stunt. Then he shoved the tackle aside and had a go at Gabbart who got the ball out in time. But, then again, he allows Gabbart to get outside, and Gabbart beats him in a foot race to the edge, where Gabbart slings it for another 30 yard gain. That's only like six or seven plays there, so it's hardly something you could judge the guy off of, but not a very impressive "highlight" package.

cutthemdown
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
He's rated on most boards as one of the top 3-4 OLB in the draft. I'd say it's because scouts see him being a little raw is the reason he is a 3rd round pick and not a 1st.

epicSocialism4tw
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Might be like the Gorilla that could hit a driver 580 yds, it's was pretty impressive until he putted the ball 580 yds.

:rofl:

2KBack
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Wow, I just watched the highlight film....is there such thing as a finesse Defensive end?

Requiem
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
If all of this is to be believed, this kids could easily contribute in situational packages and on special teams right away. I'm all for getting competitive quickly, but I wouldn't want to miss out on a great prospect for short term gain.

Yeah, Moch probably does compete for us in situational packages and on special teams right away, easily. He definitely has that ability. However, we are sitting with three picks in the top 50 -- and four in the top 70.

Those top three picks, IMHO -- should be starters right away. There is no reason they should not be given the lack of talent on this roster in certain places, especially on the defense.

Every position on the DL is upgradeable. We could easily upgrade our linebackers, inside or outside. Secondary can be upgraded as well.

Could Moch be an upgrade over who we already have at some places? Possibly, I don't know. We couldn't get after the quarterback for piss last year, (Dumervil being out hurt, Ayers being out for a while) and certainly need a player with a skill-set like his. However, he is already an ambiguous prospect with no defined NFL role and we currently do not have our coaching line-up set up so I cannot begin to hypothesize what kind of role he would have on our future team. Will we be 4-3? Will we be 3-4? Not sure. That is why I have been quiet on a lot of prospects and haven't even began to formulate a true mock draft yet. No sense in guessing players whose grades are already up in the air when we don't even have our ducks in a row on the home front as far as coaching goes.

I do not touch Moch with any selection we will have in the Top 50.

Why?

Because if I'm picking players in the Top 50, I'm expecting them to start right away. Personally, I don't think he does, but that doesn't mean he cannot.

If he is there in the third round, and we've addressed other concerns -- I would definitely be interested. Not with our top three selections though. Those have to go to players who get in right away and start defensively or offensively. I understand that situational play and special teams is very important and you can have an impact there as a rookie, but we need a lot of help.

Slade
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Wow, I just watched the highlight film....is there such thing as a finesse Defensive end?

Jarvis Moss?

Requiem
01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
John Abraham.

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
John Abraham.

Are you referencing a "soft" defensive end, or a comparison...

Moch is three inches shorter (maybe even shorter than listed 6-1) and 20 pounds lighter.

razorwire77
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
It's definitely impressive that he's that freaky fast, but straight line 40-yard dash is the most overrated metric used in measuring a non skill position football player.OMG, he hasn't done much of anything football related, but look at how fast this DE can run 40 yards in a straight line with no physical contact.

Requiem
01-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Are you referencing a "soft" defensive end, or a comparison...

Moch is three inches shorter (maybe even shorter than listed 6-1) and 20 pounds lighter.

My reference was a finesse defensive end, and no I do not see Moch and Abraham as similar players.

Thomas Howard, perhaps?

Zoobie
01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Either that or line him up as a Freeney-type speed rusher off the edge in a base 4-3, then stand him up and the D shifts on the fly to a 3-4, or he drops back as a 245 pound nickel corner lined up inside on the slot receiver...in other words in a nice spot to come straight up the gut like Mecklenburg used to do. Dang that would be sweet to see this defense with the ability to put playmakers on the field on all three levels of the defense.

Lol, I can't believe I just read that. Nickel corner? Are you serious? Despite his speed, I guarantee he has neither the hips, nor the feet to perform as a defensive back in any facet.

Bronco Boy
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
This is the kind of guy that probably ends up mid first round due to combine numbers. They usually don't pan out, but you never know.

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Lol, I can't believe I just read that. Nickel corner? Are you serious? Despite his speed, I guarantee he has neither the hips, nor the feet to perform as a defensive back in any facet.

I think he might possibly be the best defensive football player ever.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Yeah he's not a fanboy or anything. Hilarious!

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Your original post (that you have since edited) said "we have to take a look at this guy." We don't have to do anything just because you got a boner reading about a player.

Figures. I wonder if you have idea of how annoying everyone thinks you are around here. Carry on, footsteps. I'm sure you'll post a new thread and post 80,000 replies to yourself in that one too in a day or too.:thumbs:
BaaHaa..."take a look" equates to hysterically screaming what we must do according to this goof who wants to tag me as a "fan boy" when his handle proudly displays his adolescent attraction to an old Star Trek movie character...pot meet kettle, pffffttt go away ok? Mr. Khan man?

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:04 PM
You don't really understand the nuances of hyperbole and speaking tongue in cheek on the web do you?

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Not to mention the concept of context.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM

So you wouldn't draft him because some bozo on the web couldn't figure out how to put together a decent highligtht reel?

OK.

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
So you wouldn't draft him because some bozo on the web couldn't figure out how to put together a decent highligtht reel?

OK.

Did I say that?

broncocalijohn
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Nice to know i cant go down more than one post to see this and beat me to it. I would add that the Raiders plan to draft him in the first round and make him a wide receiver. I am sure another witty Maner has posted this part too.

Zoobie
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
You don't really understand the nuances of hyperbole and speaking tongue in cheek on the web do you?

Considering how hard you've been sucking his dick all day, I had no reason to believe those statements were tongue-in-cheek.

Bronco Boy
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Considering how hard you've been sucking his dick all day, I had no reason to believe those statements were tongue-in-cheek.

Tongue-in-cheek indeed! Zing!

broncocalijohn
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Tongue-in-cheek indeed! Zing!

Is that how it is done? I wouldnt know, Im married.

DB-Freak
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I'll wait until the combine for these ridiculous numbers to be proven.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
You sure you're not think about Sam Mills?

Rickey Jackson was 6'2.
You got it...thanks.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
You can leave that adolescent, low brow humor at the door along with your homo-erotic fantasies. This is a disucssion forum. People discuss **** in here, but if you think you can't recognize that without calling up references to oral sex maybe you have deeper issues.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
You can leave that adolescent, low brow humor at the door along with your homo-erotic fantasies. This is a disucssion forum. People discuss **** in here, but if you think you can't recognize that without calling up references to oral sex maybe you have deeper issues.

You primarily attack and belittle those that don't agree with you. Discussion doesn't seem like your strong suit.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
You primarily attack and belittle those that don't agree with you. Discussion doesn't seem like your strong suit.
Quit crying about that will you. Every thread on this board is filled to over flowing with insults and people degrading each other. I told you from the first that what I said to you wasn't personal but if you want to make a bit deal over it almost a day later then maybe this isn't the spot for you. The nice stuff you'll here in here is nastier than being called out for saying something dumb.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Quit crying about that will you. Every thread on this board is filled to over flowing with insults and people degrading each other. I told you from the first that what I said to you wasn't personal but if you want to make a bit deal over it almost a day later then maybe this isn't the spot for you. The nice stuff you'll here in here is nastier than being called out for saying something dumb.

Thanks for illustrating my point.

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Saying something dumb...like going out of your way to slobber all over a third round draft pick, implying that he might be the greatest player ever and he's worth a Top 5 pick?

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Saying something dumb...like going out of your way to slobber all over a third round draft pick, implying that he might be the greatest player ever and he's worth a Top 5 pick?
Dumbass nobody knows where this guy's going to be picked, let alone you so why don't you start paying attention? Every year thre are risers and fallers in the draft and these internet geeks dont' know any more than you do...OK that's an exageration. If you don't like a thread why bother reading it?

What's your contribution to the boad today btw? ???

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Dumbass nobody knows where this guy's going to be picked, let alone you so why don't you start paying attention? Every year thre are risers and fallers in the draft and these internet geeks dont' know any more than you do...OK that's an exageration. If you don't like a thread why bother reading it?

Like I said, discussion isn't your strong suit.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Like I said, discussion isn't your strong suit.
When you've been here a few months you can weigh in with credibility on what someone's strong suit is, if you last that long. At this rate you'll be chased out of here in a couple weeks.

Weren't you leaving out of here already BTW? About a day ago?

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
When you've been here a few months you can weigh in with credibility on what someone's strong suit is, if you last that long. At this rate you'll be chased out of here in a couple weeks.

Weren't you leaving out of here already BTW? About a day ago?

It doesn't take long to figure out which posters are "special". And you certainly are.

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 07:55 PM

I'm confused. Earlier today this guy should be a top 5 pick based on his raw athleticism and now, no one knows where he should be drafted?

Can you tell me what qualifies you, over me, as to where he will be drafted?

I read it, because I was interested. I didn't think you'd be crazy enough, after the first post, to suggest taking him top 5, but you are.

I'm with Req, if he's there in the third, take him. Don't reach for him.

Who's the dumbass now?

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm confused. Earlier today this guy should be a top 5 pick based on his raw athleticism and now, no one knows where he should be drafted?

Can you tell me what qualifies you, over me, as to where he will be drafted?

I read it, because I was interested. I didn't think you'd be crazy enough, after the first post, to suggest taking him top 5, but you are.

I'm with Req, if he's there in the third, take him. Don't reach for him.

Who's the dumbass now?
You are.

I never said we should draft him in the top five. I said if he runs a 4.08/4.18/4.2 at the combine that "how could he not go top 5?" For the literacy challenged such as yourself, that's a literary tool, posing an implied rhetorical question to reinforce a point. If you didn't get that point, perhaps you should hop onto a thread you can understand better.

Now run along and waste someone elses time now.

Goodnight.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 08:09 PM
You are.

I never said we should draft him in the top five. I said if he runs a 4.08/4.18/4.2 at the combine that "how could he not go top 5?" For the literacy challenged such as yourself, that's a literary tool, posing an implied rhetorical question to reinforce a point. If you didn't get that point, perhaps you should hop onto a thread you can understand better.

Goodnight.

This is such an interesting "discussion".

Missouribronc
01-13-2011, 08:15 PM
You are.

Goodnight.

Wait. I thought NFL scouts confirmed these 40 times?

Now we have to wait for the combine?

Gutless Drunk
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Nevada’s Dontay Moch turned in a ridiculous performance, with an unofficial 4.45 forty and 42-inch vertical leap. Moch will likely be an outside linebacker as a pro, but those are crazy numbers for a 248-pound kid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/dontay-moch-sticks-out-among-defensive-linemen-workouts/

Beantown Bronco
02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Not even close to the fictional January numbers. Shocker.

OABB
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Still impressive, but yeah, not close enough.

Bahshay
02-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Those numbers for a linebacker are pretty eye-popping. Poor management on the part of his agent to release fictional numbers that now make his real numbers seem disappointing.

BowlenBall
02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Meh...

:~ohyah!:

OBF1
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
So much for the myth/legend

SonOfLe-loLang
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
So much for the myth/legend

He still broke a record. And its like he came out and ran a 4.7

footstepsfrom#27
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
He notched a 42 inch vertical to go with that 4.45...those are first round CB numbers on a guy the size of Elvis Dumervil. It will be interesting to see where he goes...I think late 20's.

uplink
02-28-2011, 05:24 PM
He won't make it past the raiders 1st pick.

Tim
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
4.44 may not sound too fast but holy crap he looks like he can move

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e88386/Moch-sets-40-record-for-DL?module=HP_headlines

Dedhed
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
4.44 may not sound too fast but holy crap he looks like he can move

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e88386/Moch-sets-40-record-for-DL?module=HP_headlines

First of all, 4.44 is fast for ANYONE. At 250 lbs it's absurdly fast.

HAT
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
He notched a 42 inch vertical to go with that 4.45...those are first round CB numbers on a guy the size of Elvis Dumervil. It will be interesting to see where he goes...I think late 20's.

Of which round....The third or the fourth?

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Of which round....The third or the fourth?

exactly....i wouldnt mind picking him up in the third but he's got too much Vernon Gholston potential

listopencil
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Meh...

Nailed it.

broncocalijohn
05-02-2011, 10:27 PM
UPDATE: Wondering where he went...

Bengals 3.2 (#66 overall): Dontay Moch (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/14883/dontay-moch) (LB/Nevada): Moch turned a lot of heads at the combine by running a 4.4 forty at 6'1, 248 pounds. He's a speed linebacker that is a project for the Bengals. Pure athleticism and effort are his two main strengths but given some time to develop, could become a very good linebacker.

BowlenBall
05-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Nice bump, BCJ.

Moch ended up going one pick before Nate Irving at the top of the 3rd round... Cincinnati got a steal, IMO -- measurables and production were slightly BETTER than Von Miller in most categories (albeit at a different position). Time will tell....

worm
05-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I liked Dontay a lot.

There are a ton of compelling storylines this year in the NFL (if there is a year). The Bengals team is one of them. Palmer\Ocho out. AJ\Dalton in. Good group of LBs... Interested in seeing where they are as a team.

Additionally, 3 Wolfpack players taken this year. Congrats to the Nevada program.

TheReverend
05-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Nice bump, BCJ.

Moch ended up going one pick before Nate Irving at the top of the 3rd round... Cincinnati got a steal, IMO -- measurables and production were slightly BETTER than Von Miller in most categories (albeit at a different position). Time will tell....

Yeah I LOVE how Cincy has been building their team the past few years.

In 2008 and 2009 they grabbed two of my favorites in Maualuga and Dunlap. They've also been grabbing some serious talent through mid rounds and are so sickly deep at DE it's ridiculous (especially if Odom can stay healthy for once!)

Odom and Dunlap off the edge with Moch blitzing, Keith Rivers and Rey in the nickel, two of the best young CB tandems in the league (DRC and PP just leap frogged the **** out of this list, though)

Scary defense, imo.