PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Andrew Perloff's Mock Draft

Jesterhole
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Pretty sure most mock drafts will have us taking either Bowers or Peterson. Seems like Peterson is more of a sure thing. Still think we need to trade down and grab more picks, we have too many holes to fill to take a gamble.

---

Now that Andrew Luck has announced he's returning to Stanford, the top of the draft has changed dramatically, especially for the remaining top quarterback prospects. With a potential lockout looming, teams may not be able to trade for veteran quarterbacks until right before the season. And a potential rookie wage scale could make QBs even more tempting, since teams wouldn't have to pay the normal premium for the position. Last month, Packers president Mark Murphy wrote in the Washington Post that the league wants a system that would lock a QB taken No. 1 overall into a six-year, $19.9 million contract. That's not a big risk for the most important position on the field.

1. Carolina Panthers -- Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Quarterbacks have gone No. 1 overall eight out of the past 10 years. CAA, which represents Gabbert, has represented seven of the past eight overall No. 1 picks. Despite playing in a spread offense at Missouri, Gabbert is the top-rated quarterback and is the kind of player Carolina could sell to its fans.

DON BANKS: Draft notebook on QB prospects, more

2. Denver Broncos -- Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

The Broncos need a defensive playmaker and should look at Bowers and Auburn's Nick Fairley here. It helps to get Elvis Dumervil back from a torn pectoral muscle that forced him to miss the entire 2010 season, but they need to make doubly sure they can improve their league-low sack total.

3. Buffalo Bills -- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

The Bills allowed over 200 yards rushing in eight games last season and getting tough in the middle should be their No. 1 priority. Fairley isn't quite Ndamukong Suh, but he could bring a Suh-like attitude to a defense that needs to be more aggressive.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Dareus may not be as hot a name because he's been out there as a top draft prospect for so long, but he has had a quality body of work at Alabama. Dareus had 6.5 sacks in 2009 and 4.5 sacks last season. The Bengals' defense fell from No. 4 overall in 2009 to No. 15 this season and needs an impact player on the line.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

The Cardinals might not find the quarterback they love this high up in the draft, so expect them to take the best player available, who also happens to fit a need. Arizona ranked 23rd in pass defense last season in a division in which teams can't throw the ball. Peterson would also be a dangerous return man.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andrew_perloff/01/12/mock-draft/index.html#ixzz1AsSo3wDr

bronco militia
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
sounds great....except the part about Blain Gabbert going #1. talk about a big time reach

TerrElway
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I'd prefer Fairley and the nastiness he brings but I would also be on board with Bowers. Wouldn't be too high on Peterson and here is why a good dline can make a secondary better moreso than the other way around. It's easier to find good DB's than it is to get your hands on linemen that really make a difference.

Jesterhole
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
What if we could trade the #2 and our first rounder next year for Suh? Probably wouldn't be enough. That's the kind of player I wish was available this year. Doesn't seem like there is one...

broncs2bowl
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Suppose we take Bowers, Why dont we try moving Ayers inside with DJ? Hes got size and hes tremendous against the run

Vegas_Bronco
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
We better damn well go back to the 4-3...a much more agressive defense...line dum up at de again to increase def production and get clady back in pro bowl form.

Goobzilla
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
That's the little twerp from the Dan Patrick show. If Carolina reaches that far for a QB I would be surprised.

OrangeSe7en
01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Who is Andrew Perloff?

broncs2bowl
01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
We better damn well go back to the 4-3...a much more agressive defense...line dum up at de again.

the 3-4 has always been known to be more aggressive

Bigdawg26
01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
If we don't take Nick Farley if he's on the board I'm going to punch a baby!!

goldengopher1976
01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
What if we could trade the #2 and our first rounder next year for Suh? Probably wouldn't be enough. That's the kind of player I wish was available this year. Doesn't seem like there is one...

the lions wouldn't take our whole draft for Suh, he's a once-in-a-generation player. So yes, it would be wonderful for us to get someone like that. I think that's what people are hoping Peterson can represent at a different position. At this point, who we take will have as much to do with scheme I would think, though Peterson would transcend scheme specifics...

Baba Booey
01-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Is Carolina really that down on Clausen?

spdirty
01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Thats a bull**** mock. No way Peterson slides to 5.

oubronco
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Fairley or Dareus and possibly Peterson but hell no to bowers

orange crusher
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Thats a bull**** mock. No way Peterson slides to 5.

The Sugar Bowl sure didn't help his stock.

Majik
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
If we don't take Nick Farley if he's on the board I'm going to punch a baby!!

Farley is lazy, disappears for large portions of games, and takes way too many plays off. Pass.

Vegas_Bronco
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Untill we implemented the 'no tackle' 3-4....I.can't stand watching our front seven get owned every game...it ain't working and our def is the definition of passive-aggressive. It isn't the scheme I dislike, its our linebackers getting pushed together opening up lanes u can walk through.

broncs2bowl
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Untill we implemented the 'no tackle' 3-4....I.can't stand watching our front seven get owned every game...it ain't working and our def is the definition of passive-aggressive. It isn't the scheme I dislike, its our linebackers getting pushed together opening up lanes u can walk through.

the 4-3 will be just a bad without talent

scorpio
01-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Perloff is a moron.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-12-2011, 07:14 PM
The Sugar Bowl sure didn't help his stock.

Probably because he didn't play in it.

orange crusher
01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Probably because he didn't play in it.

Sugar, Cotton, whatever......he didn't play well.

scorpio
01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
http://img.fannation.com/upload/user_profile/image/397/2/full/Perloff.jpg

Dudeskey
01-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Who is Andrew Perloff?

A sports blogger, also known as "McLovin" from the Dan Patrick show.

Gabbert @ #1 automatically puts this in the ****ter lol. Then again he could have an awesome combine & pro day. I thought Mallet had a better chance @ goping 1st overall

Majik
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Gabbert @ #1 automatically puts this in the ****ter lol. Then again he could have an awesome combine & pro day. I thought Mallet had a better chance @ goping 1st overall

The Dan Patrick show is annoying as hell.

Dudeskey
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
The Dan Patrick show is annoying as hell.

yes but less annoying than cowherd

OrangeSe7en
01-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Oh, wow. I know that guy. Didn't know his name though. He's kind of amusing on that show but he's also a goofball and I wouldnt really take something like this from him seriously.

Do you think in McLovin, Dan Patrick kind of sees a younger Keith Olbermann?

OCBronco
01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Farley is lazy, disappears for large portions of games, and takes way too many plays off. Pass.

Agreed. The last time we picked a player based on one monster game in the national championship, we picked Jarvis Moss.

serious hops
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
SI is a ****ing comic book.

HILife
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM

no, people just are pulling out crap. Carolina traded up to get Clausen, they are not drafting a QB. Yes, I know, it was the last coach that picked him. Again, they are not drafting a QB.

HILife
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Agreed. The last time we picked a player based on one monster game in the national championship, we picked Jarvis Moss.

Not quite the same. Fairly has a track record of success, hince All American, Lombardi Award and SEC Defense Player of the Year. Moss does not.

IHaveALight
01-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Now that Andrew Luck has announced he's returning to Stanford, the top of the draft has changed dramatically, especially for the remaining top quarterback prospects. With a potential lockout looming, teams may not be able to trade for veteran quarterbacks until right before the season. And a potential rookie wage scale could make QBs even more tempting, since teams wouldn't have to pay the normal premium for the position. Last month, Packers president Mark Murphy wrote in the Washington Post that the league wants a system that would lock a QB taken No. 1 overall into a six-year, $19.9 million contract. That's not a big risk for the most important position on the field.

Well that blows. Sounds like we won't be getting any picks this year for Orton. :thumbsdow

footstepsfrom#27
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Tough to predict Denver's pick when nobody even knows what defense we'll be running. I don't see it being Bowers over Fairley or Peterson though if all three are there, which they won't be. I also don't see the Mizzour QB going #1 overall at all.

Rohirrim
01-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm no expert, but it looks to me like Bowers is a pure, 4-3 DE. If we stick with a 3-4, which none of us knows now, Bowers would be a terrible pick.

Archer81
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM

I guess they are. See what happens when you have a photo taken of you in a mankini?

:Broncos:

Tim
01-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Chase daniels ran the spread better than gabbert at missouri and he went undrafted.

Baba Booey
01-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Chase daniels ran the spread better than gabbert at missouri and he went undrafted.

Just shows how obsessed people have become with measurables.

HAT
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Tough to predict Denver's pick when nobody even knows what defense we'll be running. I don't see it being Bowers over Fairley or Peterson though if all three are there, which they won't be. I also don't see the Mizzour QB going #1 overall at all.

Under what scenario do you see Denver sticking with the 3-4?

Only way I see it is if they go with Dennison as a puppet and force a 3-4 DC on him.

BowlenBall
01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
sounds great....except the part about Blain Gabbert going #1. talk about a big time reach

Gabbert going #1 is no more of a reach than any of the following were:

2009 - Mark Sanchez (#5 overall)
2007 - JaMarcus Russell (1)
2006 - Vince Young (3)
2005 - Alex Smith (1)
2004 - Philip Rivers (4)
2002 - David Carr (1)
2002 - Joey Harrington (3)
1999 - Tim Couch (1)
1999 - Akili Smith (3)
1995 - Steve McNair (3)
1995 - Kerry Collins (5)
1994 - Heath Shuler (3)
1992 - Dave Brown (1)

Tim
01-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Gabbert going #1 is no more of a reach than any of the following were:

2009 - Mark Sanchez (#5 overall)
2007 - JaMarcus Russell (1)
2006 - Vince Young (3)
2005 - Alex Smith (1)
2004 - Philip Rivers (4)
2002 - David Carr (1)
2002 - Joey Harrington (3)
1999 - Tim Couch (1)
1999 - Akili Smith (3)
1995 - Steve McNair (3)
1995 - Kerry Collins (5)
1994 - Heath Shuler (3)
1992 - Dave Brown (1)
not to nit pick but what do they have in common with gabbert?

cutthemdown
01-12-2011, 09:45 PM
here is my mock draft.

1- killer defensive player
2- really good defensive player
2b-really good defensive player
3- great new TE

Make it happen Elway or you suck Dan Reeves nuts.

BowlenBall
01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
not to nit pick but what do they have in common with gabbert?

Nit-picker... :P

They all had flags on them coming out of college, and all went higher than expected, the point being that reaches at the quarterback position are fairly common.

RhymesayersDU
01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
no, people just are pulling out crap. Carolina traded up to get Clausen, they are not drafting a QB. Yes, I know, it was the last coach that picked him. Again, they are not drafting a QB.

I don't know that I agree with this at all. Do I think they reach for a QB at #1? Well, no.

But what will be interesting is to see if one of these guys falls to the second round. I could see Carolina taking Mallet or Locker or Newton if one of them falls to that #33 pick, the #1 pick in round 2. From what I understand, they're all late first round guys as it is.

BowlenBall
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
here is my mock draft.

3- great new TE

That's the best mock draft I've seen yet... unfortunately, here's how it's probably going to play out, based on recent Broncos draft history:

1 -- slow, undersized defensive player with a history of injuries
2 -- shocking reach that everybody else had graded as a 5th-round pick
2b -- traded for three magic beans
3 -- amazing talent who is psychotic and will alienate the fan base before being traded in three years for next to nothing

HILife
01-13-2011, 04:57 AM
I don't know that I agree with this at all. Do I think they reach for a QB at #1? Well, no.

But what will be interesting is to see if one of these guys falls to the second round. I could see Carolina taking Mallet or Locker or Newton if one of them falls to that #33 pick, the #1 pick in round 2. From what I understand, they're all late first round guys as it is.

I meant not at #1, but more than likely not in the first several rounds, either. Defiantly not at #1.

HILife
01-13-2011, 04:59 AM
That's the best mock draft I've seen yet... unfortunately, here's how it's probably going to play out, based on recent Broncos draft history:

3 -- amazing talent who is psychotic and will alienate the fan base before being traded in three years for next to nothing

To give them to much credit. Think lower.

Agamemnon
01-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Not true. There are aggressive and reactive versions of both schemes.

The MVPlaya
01-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Not true. There are aggressive and reactive versions of both schemes.

It is true. He said 3-4 is KNOWN to be aggressive, doesn't mean there isn't a such thing as a conservative 3-4.

The majority of top defenses in the league today play 3-4, and the most aggressive defenses in the league are 3-4.

RaiderH8r
01-13-2011, 07:56 AM

I agree. I watch Fairley and all I can think is Haynesworth.

oubronco
01-13-2011, 08:12 AM
here is my mock draft.

3- great new TE

I would go with really good defensive player with 3 as well and pick up a TE in FA

oubronco
01-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Calm down McDisaster is gone

Kaylore
01-13-2011, 08:22 AM

:~ohyah!:

cousinal11
01-13-2011, 08:29 AM

I should take the time to check, but I don't think Carolina has a 2nd round pick.

peacepipe
01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
We better damn well go back to the 4-3...a much more agressive defense...line dum up at de again to increase def production and get clady back in pro bowl form.LOL, worst post I've read in a while,the 4-3 by no means is a more agressive defense then the 3-4. Dumervil was at his best the yr in the 3-4 with 17.5 sacks. look at the top defenses out there,you want to know what they all have in common? they all run a 3-4 defense.

peacepipe
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm no expert, but it looks to me like Bowers is a pure, 4-3 DE. If we stick with a 3-4, which none of us knows now, Bowers would be a terrible pick.I believe any DL pick this high is a waste. It's been posted that this is a draft deep with Dlineman. well if thats the case, the smart move would be to get DL in the 2nd rd where we have 2 picks. If DL wasn't so deep than picking a bowers or fairley would make sense.

Tombstone RJ
01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
I really want the Broncos to trade down and pick up DL. If they can't trade down then take Peterson with the #2. If I was Carolina, I'd be trying to trade down too...

RhymesayersDU
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I should take the time to check, but I don't think Carolina has a 2nd round pick.

Oh, well then scratch that idea.