PDA

View Full Version : Koetter on Tebow

montrose
01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
"Tim's a tremendous football player. He's definitely a quarterback still in the developmental phase. It's very difficult to step in from the type of offense he ran in college and step right in an NFL-style offense, but if anybody can get it done, I'd never sell Tim Tebow short."

- Also contains more comments from Koetter and Dennison:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17065867

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
"Tim's a tremendous football player. He's definitely a quarterback still in the developmental phase. It's very difficult to step in from the type of offense he ran in college and step right in an NFL-style offense, but if anybody can get it done, I'd never sell Tim Tebow short."

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coach.aspx?id=2688

Please remember, this guy has had David Garrard as his QB. That being said, the running game has always been solid. It's a smash mouth kinda offense.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I said this in another thread, but I predict he interviewed the best. He seems to meet the criteria and he actually tried to sell them on why he's right for the job.

broncswin
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't care who John picks...I will put my trust in his judgement and stick behind this team...I just want this to be done, so we can get to building this football team into a winner!

spdirty
01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't care who John picks...I will put my trust in his judgement and stick behind this team...I just want this to be done, so we can get to building this football team into a winner!

100% agree.

2KBack
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Just to get before the other ASU alums. I would be cautiously optimistic about Coach Koetter, I didn't hate him like so many other sundevils seem to.

Popps
01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
He sounded fine... I just can't quite figure out what he's done to merit an interview.

Jetmeck
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Dont just want anybody but damn hurry up, we GOT A LOT OF WORK TO BE DONE....................

schaaf
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
He sounded fine... I just can't quite figure out what he's done to merit an interview.

He didn't turn it down?

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Maybe the Broncos figure that to win with Tebow, they need an offense similar to the jags? Maybe he came highly recommended from other NFL sources?

Likwid Kerruj
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Can he bring Jones-Drew with him?

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Can he bring Jones-Drew with him?

Have to draft Jaquizz I guess.

frerottenextelway
01-11-2011, 07:12 PM
http://historybyday.com/photos/tebow-haters.gif

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Don't the jags always seem to have the Broncos number? Or am I just warped due to the 1996 playoff loss?

gunns
01-11-2011, 07:21 PM

I did that with McD. If they pick Dennison I'll just stay away from the board for awhile until my meltdown is over.

This guy seems to know the right words to say. Hopefully he's honest.

2KBack
01-11-2011, 07:24 PM

I think that is part of the intrigue with him as a candidate. It seems to me that his invitation to interview may have been researched through connections that Elway and Co may have in the league. Which if true tells me that they aren't just following the well worn path of EX-head coaches and are striving to simply find the guy with the best plan.

People assume it's because of his son, but Dennis Erickson was the coach at ASU when Jack was recruited.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I think that is part of the intrigue with him as a candidate. It seems to me that his invitation to interview may have been researched through connections that Elway and Co may have in the league. Which if true tells me that they aren't just following the well worn path of EX-head coaches and are striving to simply find the guy with the best plan.

People assume it's because of his son, but Dennis Erickson was the coach at ASU when Jack was recruited.

that's a valid point. Elway did hire a search firm to help find the next HC. Maybe they did some due diligence and found out that Koetter is a ligitmate candidate and is well respected...

Hamrob
01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Maybe the Broncos figure that to win with Tebow, they need an offense similar to the jags? Maybe he came highly recommended from other NFL sources?What's comical to me...about all the negative publicity over Tebow...is:

When Elway played under Dan Reaves...they played an offense similiar to Jacksonville's.

Elway was the most gifted talent to ever come out of college at the QB position...and we ran the ball with the likes of Gerald Wilhite and Sammy Winder. And those are the two most noteworthy backs.

What I saw in Tebow as a rookie playing QB in the NFL was pretty good. I think that labeling him as a running QB or a QB who has to play in a run first offense to be successful...is absolutely idiotic.

He was not accurate on some throws...but on others he showed pin point accuracy. He also has a gun...that announcers and critics alike won't acknowlege. I thought it was assinine listening to Steve Buerline say in the 1st quarter against SD what a strong arm Tebow had on the deep throws (the first series when Lloyd misjudged that deep throw b/c of the sun perhaps). That throw was right on the money by the way. Later in the game Buerline jabbed at Tebow before the Hail Mary's by saying..."Can he even throw it 50 yards?"

Haters are haters! Don't judge Tebow by what the critics say. This kid was a 65% completion QB in College and made all the throws!

McDman
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I said this in another thread, but I predict he interviewed the best. He seems to meet the criteria and he actually tried to sell them on why he's right for the job.

Stink said on The Fan today that even last time we were hiring he heard Dennison had by far the best interview. Apparently we wanted to get away from the Shanny model so we decided to go in a different direction.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm one of those people. I thought Koetter was the OC when Jack was being recruited to ASU. Not right?

2KBack
01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm one of those people. I thought Koetter was the OC when Jack was being recruited to ASU. Not right?

Koetter was fired as HC of ASU after the 2006 season for Dennis Erickson, Jack committed to ASU in 2007. Dennis Erickson worked for Jack Elway Sr. I think that's the connection everyone is remembering...just it with Erickson, not Koetter.

Koetter's been with Jacksonville since 2007.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
What's comical to me...about all the negative publicity over Tebow...is:

When Elway played under Dan Reaves...they played an offense similiar to Jacksonville's.

Elway was the most gifted talent to ever come out of college at the QB position...and we ran the ball with the likes of Gerald Wilhite and Sammy Winder. And those are the two most noteworthy backs.

What I saw in Tebow as a rookie playing QB in the NFL was pretty good. I think that labeling him as a running QB or a QB who has to play in a run first offense to be successful...is absolutely idiotic.

He was not accurate on some throws...but on others he showed pin point accuracy. He also has a gun...that announcers and critics alike won't acknowlege. I thought it was assinine listening to Steve Buerline say in the 1st quarter against SD what a strong arm Tebow had on the deep throws (the first series when Lloyd misjudged that deep throw b/c of the sun perhaps). That throw was right on the money by the way. Later in the game Buerline jabbed at Tebow before the Hail Mary's by saying..."Can he even throw it 50 yards?"

Haters are haters! Don't judge Tebow by what the critics say. This kid was a 65% completion QB in College and made all the throws!

Forming the right offense around Tebow (and the current offensive talent on the team) is, I think, a huge consideration for whoever the Broncos bring in as HC. The Jags MO (IMHO) has been to play good defense and not "lose" the game on offense. I don't know if this offensive philosophy is Del Rio's alone, or if Koetter is the brains behind it. The Jags have been one of those teams that no one takes too seriously and they have pretty much floundered behind the Colts and Titans. They have not demonstrated a desire to replace David Garrard yet they don't seem to win a lot of games with him. I mean, it's not like they are wheeling and dealing to find another QB! Could Tebow take the jags to another level in that offense? Is that the type of offense he coulde excel in? I dunno, it's hard to say.

I guess this is why NFL GMs make the big bucks, they hire guys like Koetter to be HCs...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Koetter was fired as HC of ASU after the 2006 season for Dennis Erickson, Jack committed to ASU in 2007. Dennis Erickson worked for Jack Elway Sr. I think that's the connection everyone is remembering...just it with Erickson, not Koetter.

Koetter's been with Jacksonville since 2007.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Incoming rep.

2KBack
01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Incoming rep.

no worries...ASU is an oft ignored Pac-10 team. I still love'em, and was PSYCHED to get the next Elway, until he decided he didn't like playing anymore.

HEAV
01-11-2011, 08:02 PM

You're Hired!

Chris
01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I was impressed with Koetkerr in the db.com video.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Head coaching candidates aren't always those guys that have fancy stats as coordinators. There's an element of what the coaching community thinks of a guy, whether or not he's a good coach, whether or not he has the temperament to be a head coach. I'm going to guess that Elway got a glowing recommendation of Koetter by someone he knows and respects, and thought he'd see if there's anything to it.

I will say that Koetter's offensive stats likely don't tell the whole story. While they have had good backs throughout his tenure, his QB has been the definition of mediocre, and his receiving corps has been virtually non-existent. He may well be a damn good coach limited by a crappy roster. It's hard to tell from the perspective of a fan of another team. His tenure at Arizona State may likewise be misleading as that likely speaks as much to the program and his recruiting skills than anything else. Great college coaches are, first and foremost, masters of convincing high schoolers and their parents that their school is the best choice. That's not a skill that is at all useful in the NFL.

The point being: try to be a little open-minded.

HEAV
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Don't the jags always seem to have the Broncos number? Or am I just warped due to the 1996 playoff loss?

Yes they have beaten Denver the past three games in a row with Koetter as O.C.

The guy likes to pound teams silly.

Liquid Courage
01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Wasn't Kevin Gilbride the OC of Jax when the beat us in the 96 playoffs with the uber-athletic Brunell? I wonder why there has been no talk of him as a developer for Tebow? Especially since he has to coach the mouth breathing Manning in NY currently. Just a random thought as I pondered the Jags for the first time in years.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM

yah, I kinda dig that about the jags, they aren't finess on offense, the line up and smash you in the mouth. Seems perfect for Timmy...

broncocalijohn
01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Just to get before the other ASU alums. I would be cautiously optimistic about Coach Koetter, I didn't hate him like so many other sundevils seem to.

What is there to hate? Babarino and Freddy like him. I got a letter from Epstein's Mom and she stated he would be an excellent coach.

bowtown
01-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Wasn't Kevin Gilbride the OC of Jax when the beat us in the 96 playoffs with the uber-athletic Brunell? I wonder why there has been no talk of him as a developer for Tebow? Especially since he has to coach the mouth breathing Manning in NY currently. Just a random thought as I pondered the Jags for the first time in years.

Because he is an unimaginative predictable OC. The Giants should have fired him this offseason. Besides do you really want the guy who was Eli's coach this year to be anywhere near Tebow? Eli put up a real stinker.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 08:14 PM

That's a perfect Tebow take, imo. He's a great football player in the very beginning stages of being an NFL quarterback.

Vegas_Bronco
01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Definitely my favorite candidate for the next 3 years...this guy can build our team back to elite faster than anyone else on the board. Jagwaggers have excellent defense, amazing tight ends and a decent line. We get ourselves a true powerback, a real fullback, and a pass catching te and we would have a great offense for nxt season.

Liquid Courage
01-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Because he is an unimaginative predictable OC. The Giants should have fired him this offseason. Besides do you really want the guy who was Eli's coach this year to be anywhere near Tebow? Eli put up a real stinker.

I suppose I put the blame on Eli there. ultimately I just want someone who has proven to develop talent and put the right scheme in place given the skillset.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 08:16 PM

From my research it sounds like he actually had an aggressive vertical passing attack at Arizona State. If that's true, it seems likely that his offense in Jacksonville is primarily the result of the lack of the explosive types of players required to run that style of offense.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that pretty much all the coaches we are interviewing, both defensive and offensive, come from teams with 4-3 defenses? Should we read into that?

listopencil
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Head coaching candidates aren't always those guys that have fancy stats as coordinators. There's an element of what the coaching community thinks of a guy, whether or not he's a good coach, whether or not he has the temperament to be a head coach. I'm going to guess that Elway got a glowing recommendation of Koetter by someone he knows and respects, and thought he'd see if there's anything to it.

The point being: try to be a little open-minded.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, and I think this bolded part is especially important. They are looking for a guy that can be successful at leading a coaching staff.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Definitely my favorite candidate for the next 3 years...this guy can build our team back to elite faster than anyone else on the board. Jagwaggers have excellent defense, amazing tight ends and a decent line. We get ourselves a true powerback, a real fullback, and a pass catching te and we would have a great offense for next season.
I agree. I think he's a great candidate to implement a Tebow-friendly offense, and I think the Jags model jives with "Broncos football".

peacepipe
01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
From my research it sounds like he actually had an aggressive vertical passing attack at Arizona State. If that's true, it seems likely that his offense in Jacksonville is primarily the result of the lack of the explosive types of players required to run that style of offense.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that pretty much all the coaches we are interviewing, both defensive and offensive, come from teams with 4-3 defenses? Should we read into that?

you're the 1st person that I know of to say anything positive about his time at Arizona.

peacepipe
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I agree. I think he's a great candidate to implement a Tebow-friendly offense, and I think the Jags model jives with "Broncos football".

The only problem is if Tebow gets hurt we're screwed. I am not a fan of developing a system around 1 player.

2KBack
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
If anyone's interested, The offense Koetter has been running in Jacksonville is pretty different from what he ran at ASU. I 2005 for example ASU had the second ranked offense in College football behind USC with almost 400 yards passing a game. So I would say the guy kinda caters to his talent

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
you're the 1st person that I know of to say anything positive about his time at Arizona.

Looking at the numbers, the overall record, and the fact that that program has almost always been pretty crappy, I'm not so sure I understand all the negativity.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
The only problem is if Tebow gets hurt we're screwed. I am not a fan of developing a system around 1 player.

Teams that lose their starting QBs are usually screwed anyway.

2KBack
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Looking at the numbers, the overall record, and the fact that that program has almost always been pretty crappy, I'm not so sure I understand all the negativity.

Thank you...I'm not saying Koetter is necessarily the best guy for the job, I'm not smart enough to say that with confidence. I do know that ASU was a much more competitive team under him.

Jake Plummer is probably the most celebrated Football player to come out of ASU. I love Jake, but that should say something about the elite athletes that come through Tempe.

HAT
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
This may have already been posted somewhere on here but in case anyone missed it, I thought this was a good read.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/11/dirk-koetter-emerges-as-dark-horse-to-reckon-with-in-broncos-he/

Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter may not the highest-profile candidate for the Denver Broncos' coaching position, but neither should he be overlooked.

Koetter interviewed for the Broncos' position Tuesday.

"I'm somewhat of a unique candidate here, because I was a head college coach for nine years," Koetter, who coached nine seasons at Boise State and Arizona State before joining he Jaguars in 2007, told DenverBroncos.com. "I know what it's like to sit on that chair on a lesser level. There's no way you can ever get ready until you're in the seat. No coach who has not been a head coach is ready.

"You think you are. You sit in the chair across from the head coach and think, 'Man, I would have done it this way or I would have done it this way.' But when you're sitting in the chair, it's different. There's just no way you can completely get ready."

Koetter also said he believes having been a head coach has helped him as a Jaguars assistant, and would help him should he get the Denver job.

"After you've been a head coach, you're a much better assistant coach," he said. "I learned to be a much better assistant coach, because I learned, 'Hey, I don't know all the problems the head coach is going through. I think you learn to just go back and just do the best job you can in what your tiny role within the football team is. When the opportunity comes, I think you're much more prepared the next time.

"You've learned from past mistakes and past success and you get to learn how other people did it."

And while the Jaguars' absence from the postseason -- and the offense not exactly being one of the more high-profile units in the NFL -- has kept Koetter from being listed on the annual "Hot Coaching Candidate" lists, the former Arizona State head coach is well-respected in NFL circles.

In 2007, Koetter took over an offense that hadn't had a player named to the Pro Bowl in the last four seasons. In four seasons since, he has had four players named to five Pro Bowls, and this past season, Jaguars quarterback David Garrard set a franchise record with 23 touchdown passes.

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew finished third in the AFC in rushing this season, running for more than 100 yards in six consecutive games and being named to his second consecutive Pro Bowl.

In Koetter's first season, 2007, the team set franchise single-season records for points, touchdowns and touchdown passes. The team also made the playoffs as a wild card entrant, winning its only playoff game since 1999.

In the three seasons since, the team has struggled at times, but with a quarterback in Garrard who isn't widely considered to be among the NFL's Top 10-to-15 players at the position and a wide receiving corps that lacks a legitimate Pro Bowl-level player, the feeling among those close to the team is that Koetter has done a solid job with the talent available.

Whether he gets the Denver job remains to be seen, but it certainly wouldn't be a reach.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 09:31 PM
no worries...ASU is an oft ignored Pac-10 team. I still love'em, and was PSYCHED to get the next Elway, until he decided he didn't like playing anymore.

My dad played at ASU in the late 60's. I've always loved the SunDevils, but obviously don't follow them too closely.

Broncos4Life
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
This may have already been posted somewhere on here but in case anyone missed it, I thought this was a good read.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/11/dirk-koetter-emerges-as-dark-horse-to-reckon-with-in-broncos-he/

Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter may not the highest-profile candidate for the Denver Broncos' coaching position, but neither should he be overlooked.

Koetter interviewed for the Broncos' position Tuesday.

"I'm somewhat of a unique candidate here, because I was a head college coach for nine years," Koetter, who coached nine seasons at Boise State and Arizona State before joining he Jaguars in 2007, told DenverBroncos.com. "I know what it's like to sit on that chair on a lesser level. There's no way you can ever get ready until you're in the seat. No coach who has not been a head coach is ready.

"You think you are. You sit in the chair across from the head coach and think, 'Man, I would have done it this way or I would have done it this way.' But when you're sitting in the chair, it's different. There's just no way you can completely get ready."

Koetter also said he believes having been a head coach has helped him as a Jaguars assistant, and would help him should he get the Denver job.

"After you've been a head coach, you're a much better assistant coach," he said. "I learned to be a much better assistant coach, because I learned, 'Hey, I don't know all the problems the head coach is going through. I think you learn to just go back and just do the best job you can in what your tiny role within the football team is. When the opportunity comes, I think you're much more prepared the next time.

"You've learned from past mistakes and past success and you get to learn how other people did it."

And while the Jaguars' absence from the postseason -- and the offense not exactly being one of the more high-profile units in the NFL -- has kept Koetter from being listed on the annual "Hot Coaching Candidate" lists, the former Arizona State head coach is well-respected in NFL circles.

In 2007, Koetter took over an offense that hadn't had a player named to the Pro Bowl in the last four seasons. In four seasons since, he has had four players named to five Pro Bowls, and this past season, Jaguars quarterback David Garrard set a franchise record with 23 touchdown passes.

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew finished third in the AFC in rushing this season, running for more than 100 yards in six consecutive games and being named to his second consecutive Pro Bowl.

In Koetter's first season, 2007, the team set franchise single-season records for points, touchdowns and touchdown passes. The team also made the playoffs as a wild card entrant, winning its only playoff game since 1999.

In the three seasons since, the team has struggled at times, but with a quarterback in Garrard who isn't widely considered to be among the NFL's Top 10-to-15 players at the position and a wide receiving corps that lacks a legitimate Pro Bowl-level player, the feeling among those close to the team is that Koetter has done a solid job with the talent available.

Whether he gets the Denver job remains to be seen, but it certainly wouldn't be a reach.
I really like what this guy is saying and what hes done in Jacksoville. I wonder who hed bring with if we hired him?

OrangeSe7en
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
This guy could be OK. I like that he wins with what he has. One thing I like about Jax, aside from their running game, is that I often see them capitalizing on well timed passes where the receiver is often open.

BigPlayShay
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM

4-6 all time vs the Jags. 3 straight losses to them while Koetter has been OC.

HAT
01-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I really like what this guy is saying and what hes done in Jacksoville. I wonder who hed bring with if we hired him?

Interesting question. Not sure what his pro network looks like but he seems to have some solid connections from ASU.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/01/07/20110107asu-football-assistants-bcs-championship-oregon-ducks-auburn-tigers.html

Former ASU assistants make it to BCS stage with Oregon, Auburn

They came to Arizona State in 2001 with dreams that what's happening now would occur with the Sun Devils.

When Dirk Koetter assembled his first staff at ASU, it included Tom Osborne (assistant head coach/tight-ends coach/special-teams coach), Mark Helfrich (quarterbacks coach) and Jeff Grimes (offensive-line coach).

They were together for three seasons, including a Holiday Bowl appearance 2002, before they started to head off to new challenges. They coached in Tempe a combined 14 seasons, but now, all three are assistants for the two teams meeting Monday in the BCS National Championship Game.

Grimes left ASU first, for Brigham Young, and later Colorado. Helfrich departed after the 2005 season to become offensive coordinator at Colorado, working with Grimes in 2007 and '08. Grimes is now in his second season at Auburn.

Then Helfrich returned to his native Oregon as offensive coordinator in 2009, joining a staff that included Osborne, who returned for a second stint with the Ducks after Koetter was fired at ASU following the 2006 season.

"Dirk was great to me," said Helfrich, a graduate assistant at Oregon in 1997 when Koetter was offensive coordinator under Mike Bellotti. "He was instrumental, huge from a job standpoint and a scheme standpoint. We remain friends today."

Koetter took his first head coaching job at Boise State in 1998, employing Helfrich for three seasons and Grimes for one before they all moved to ASU. Koetter now is four years into his first NFL job as offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Even when Mark and Jeff were together at Colorado, they started to branch out more into spread principles," Koetter said. "Now with Mark under (Oregon head coach) Chip Kelly and Jeff with (Auburn offensive coordinator Gus) Malzahn in full-scale spread offense, it's fun to see. All those spread guys don't want to give away secrets. It's hard to get much out of them. It's a little different style of offense and what's hot right now.

"We knew we had good coaches (at ASU). It's the circumstances of getting the right coaches and right players at the right time. At ASU, it wasn't the right time. We were there when USC was pretty much unbeatable for a stretch of 3-4 years. It didn't work out. That's too bad, but it's great to see them get this opportunity now."

Although Kelly is mastermind for Oregon's high speed spread - ranked No. 1 nationally in total offense and scoring - players give Helfrich his share of credit.

"He's one of the guys that's been with me since day one teaching me everything I need to know," Ducks quarterback Darron Thomas said. "Coach Kelly is the overseer of everything but when it comes to the offense and the quarterback and mental preparation, Coach Helfrich is the No. 1 guy. He's in the meeting room every day. He's a genius and really into his playbook and knows everything."

Wide receiver Jeff Maehl said Helfrich "probably doesn't get the credit he should. He's one of the funniest guys I've been around but some of his jokes aren't as good as he thinks. He brings a lot of life to practice and makes it fun."

Osborne's special teams include the nation's punt return leader Cliff Harris and No. 1 punt return unit plus top-20 rankings in net punting and kickoff return defense. His top tight end David Paulson has 21 catches for 370 yards and four touchdowns.

"He's a special teams genius," kicker Rob Beard said. "He's always on top of his stuff, coming up with new schemes, watching film and finding weaknesses in teams."

Auburn is No. 5 nationally in rushing offense with 6-foot-8 tackle Lee Ziemba unanimous All-SEC first team and on many All-America teams. Grimes got to play good cop to head coach Gene Chizik's bad cop early in the season.

"We had a terrible game against Clemson and Coach Chizik really embarrassed us in front of the whole team," Ziemba said. "He told us that's not Auburn football and that's not what we've trained you to play like. That's the most physical week of practice I've ever had in my entire life. Before the (next) game, Coach Grimes pulled us aside and told us you need to have fun out there, I know you can play physical. Let's go out and show them. He (Grimes) is a teacher. He really tries to get us to perfect what we're doing."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/01/07/20110107asu-football-assistants-bcs-championship-oregon-ducks-auburn-tigers.html#ixzz1AnX6SpzH

PRBronco
01-11-2011, 10:05 PM

But what does the online community think of him!!??

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Yeah, they don't do that at any of the premier franchises in the league, like New England tends not to develop a game plan around Brady. Manning doesn't have much to do with the system in Indy.

If ANY team loses a starting QB in the NFL, they're dead. It's just a super lame take.

peacepipe
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, they don't do that at any of the premier franchises in the league, like New England tends not to develop a game plan around Brady. Manning doesn't have much to do with the system in Indy.

If ANY team loses a starting QB in the NFL, they're dead. It's just a super lame take.

Brady fit NEs system. Bilichek molded him into his system. You know as well as I do bilichek ain't going to change a system for one player.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Brady fit NEs system. Bilichek molded him into his system. You know as well as I do bilichek ain't going to change a system for one player.

You're smoking crack if you don't think every team in the league would have to change their system if their starting QB goes down.

HAT
01-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Haha...Not much, apparently. People would rather bitch that they've never heard of him rather than doing some research with an open mind.

elicash
01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Have to draft Jaquizz I guess.
Get the Quizz Show in the 2012 draft and hello to success.

peacepipe
01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
You're smoking crack if you don't think every team in the league would have to change their system if their starting QB goes down.

Shanahan never did. they didn't change in NE when Brady got hurt. they may dumb it down for a QB,as in not use the full playbook, but the system remains the same.

Play2win
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM

your avi makes me wonder how Jake would have gotten along with Josh... Hilarious!

Broncos4Life
01-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Interesting question. Not sure what his pro network looks like but he seems to have some solid connections from ASU.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/01/07/20110107asu-football-assistants-bcs-championship-oregon-ducks-auburn-tigers.html

Former ASU assistants make it to BCS stage with Oregon, Auburn

They came to Arizona State in 2001 with dreams that what's happening now would occur with the Sun Devils.

When Dirk Koetter assembled his first staff at ASU, it included Tom Osborne (assistant head coach/tight-ends coach/special-teams coach), Mark Helfrich (quarterbacks coach) and Jeff Grimes (offensive-line coach).

They were together for three seasons, including a Holiday Bowl appearance 2002, before they started to head off to new challenges. They coached in Tempe a combined 14 seasons, but now, all three are assistants for the two teams meeting Monday in the BCS National Championship Game.

Grimes left ASU first, for Brigham Young, and later Colorado. Helfrich departed after the 2005 season to become offensive coordinator at Colorado, working with Grimes in 2007 and '08. Grimes is now in his second season at Auburn.

Then Helfrich returned to his native Oregon as offensive coordinator in 2009, joining a staff that included Osborne, who returned for a second stint with the Ducks after Koetter was fired at ASU following the 2006 season.

"Dirk was great to me," said Helfrich, a graduate assistant at Oregon in 1997 when Koetter was offensive coordinator under Mike Bellotti. "He was instrumental, huge from a job standpoint and a scheme standpoint. We remain friends today."

Koetter took his first head coaching job at Boise State in 1998, employing Helfrich for three seasons and Grimes for one before they all moved to ASU. Koetter now is four years into his first NFL job as offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Even when Mark and Jeff were together at Colorado, they started to branch out more into spread principles," Koetter said. "Now with Mark under (Oregon head coach) Chip Kelly and Jeff with (Auburn offensive coordinator Gus) Malzahn in full-scale spread offense, it's fun to see. All those spread guys don't want to give away secrets. It's hard to get much out of them. It's a little different style of offense and what's hot right now.

"We knew we had good coaches (at ASU). It's the circumstances of getting the right coaches and right players at the right time. At ASU, it wasn't the right time. We were there when USC was pretty much unbeatable for a stretch of 3-4 years. It didn't work out. That's too bad, but it's great to see them get this opportunity now."

Although Kelly is mastermind for Oregon's high speed spread - ranked No. 1 nationally in total offense and scoring - players give Helfrich his share of credit.

"He's one of the guys that's been with me since day one teaching me everything I need to know," Ducks quarterback Darron Thomas said. "Coach Kelly is the overseer of everything but when it comes to the offense and the quarterback and mental preparation, Coach Helfrich is the No. 1 guy. He's in the meeting room every day. He's a genius and really into his playbook and knows everything."

Wide receiver Jeff Maehl said Helfrich "probably doesn't get the credit he should. He's one of the funniest guys I've been around but some of his jokes aren't as good as he thinks. He brings a lot of life to practice and makes it fun."

Osborne's special teams include the nation's punt return leader Cliff Harris and No. 1 punt return unit plus top-20 rankings in net punting and kickoff return defense. His top tight end David Paulson has 21 catches for 370 yards and four touchdowns.

"He's a special teams genius," kicker Rob Beard said. "He's always on top of his stuff, coming up with new schemes, watching film and finding weaknesses in teams."

Auburn is No. 5 nationally in rushing offense with 6-foot-8 tackle Lee Ziemba unanimous All-SEC first team and on many All-America teams. Grimes got to play good cop to head coach Gene Chizik's bad cop early in the season.

"We had a terrible game against Clemson and Coach Chizik really embarrassed us in front of the whole team," Ziemba said. "He told us that's not Auburn football and that's not what we've trained you to play like. That's the most physical week of practice I've ever had in my entire life. Before the (next) game, Coach Grimes pulled us aside and told us you need to have fun out there, I know you can play physical. Let's go out and show them. He (Grimes) is a teacher. He really tries to get us to perfect what we're doing."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/01/07/20110107asu-football-assistants-bcs-championship-oregon-ducks-auburn-tigers.html#ixzz1AnX6SpzH

Hmmmmm. This even makes like the Koetter possibility even more. No doubt those team have lots of talent though. Right now Koetter is my guy. He could bring in either of these guys and I would content. The only thing lacking, or that I might be concerned with may be NFL coaching experience. Though I don't know whether or not they have any.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2011, 03:52 AM

I thought he was staying in school, but apparently he's declared for the draft this year. It's a RB deep draft, we could pick him up in the later rounds.

Drek
01-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Koetter is a candidate I'm starting to actually like the sounds of.

Mike Smith was basically a nobody before Dimitroff called him up for the Atlanta job. He was working under a defensive HC while in Jacksonville and even still he'd apparently developed what it took to be a successful HC.

Koetter has been a collegiate HC for 9 years. He actually got the ball rolling for what Boise State has become today. He's shown flexability with his offense. The Jags have done little to improve their offense and continue to stick with Garrard but Koetter led them to a significant bump up in performance this year.

Seems like a guy who could do a lot of good things here. Obviously he knows the importance of the running game at the NFL level. He coached a deep vertical attack while in college and made Andrew Walter look like a real QB. Now some of his assistants from ASU have moved on to fairly prominent roles with the two national championship contenders, one of them would make a great pickup if he wants to add a spread wrinkle to his scheme (which the above article seems to allude to). So he seems to have an eye for coaching talent and he's developed a network of connections outside the incestuous and agent controlled pro coaching circuit.

Of all the guys we've interviewed he's the one that most intrigues me at the moment.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2011, 04:27 AM

Mike Smith was basically a nobody before Dimitroff called him up for the Atlanta job. He was working under a defensive HC while in Jacksonville and even still he'd apparently developed what it took to be a successful HC.

Koetter has been a collegiate HC for 9 years. He actually got the ball rolling for what Boise State has become today. He's shown flexability with his offense. The Jags have done little to improve their offense and continue to stick with Garrard but Koetter led them to a significant bump up in performance this year.

Seems like a guy who could do a lot of good things here. Obviously he knows the importance of the running game at the NFL level. He coached a deep vertical attack while in college and made Andrew Walter look like a real QB. Now some of his assistants from ASU have moved on to fairly prominent roles with the two national championship contenders, one of them would make a great pickup if he wants to add a spread wrinkle to his scheme (which the above article seems to allude to). So he seems to have an eye for coaching talent and he's developed a network of connections outside the incestuous and agent controlled pro coaching circuit.

Of all the guys we've interviewed he's the one that most intrigues me at the moment.

Same. I still favor Mularkey, but the more I read about Koetter the more I like.

Drek
01-12-2011, 04:32 AM
One other thing on Koetter, arguably his most successful pupil in the NFL today, Zach Miller, is a free agent this year, fills and immediate need for us, and would detract from a division rival.

Seems like a damn good fit as our #1 FA target when free agency does finally open.

Inkana7
01-12-2011, 07:06 AM
One other thing on Koetter, arguably his most successful pupil in the NFL today, Zach Miller, is a free agent this year, fills and immediate need for us, and would detract from a division rival.

Seems like a damn good fit as our #1 FA target when free agency does finally open.

Good observation. Miller is a great player.

Ray Finkle
01-12-2011, 07:12 AM

**** you for making sense and now having me like him.....DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN YOU!

:D

montrose
01-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Or we could look at Marcedes Lewis who was a part of his offense in Jax and is also FA. TEs are pretty cheap and there's a good list of them (Lewis, Miller, Winslow, Daniels among them) so hopefully we can snag one.

Kaylore
01-12-2011, 07:35 AM

hE d03sNt B133d orange n blooo!!!!! He isnt a bronco throo n throoo!!!!11!!!!

LetsGoBroncos
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM

If I wasn't an ASU alum and fan and I was only looking at what he has done as the Jags offensive coordinator and what he has been saying I would be real excited about him. He is saying all the right things. However, I am an ASU alum and sat on the 30 yard line for 4 years while he was there......I've seen what I needed to see to form my opinion. I don't want him.

Now, maybe since his time at ASU he has become a much better coach and is ready for the challenge. If we hire him, I will be right behind him hoping he proves me wrong, but I am skeptical.

baja
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Ya my interest in moving up with this Koetter guy. Good job guys on selling Koetter.

Kaylore
01-12-2011, 07:45 AM
If I wasn't an ASU alum and fan and I was only looking at what he has done as the Jags offensive coordinator and what he has been saying I would be real excited about him. He is saying all the right things. However, I am an ASU alum and sat on the 30 yard line for 4 years while he was there......I've seen what I needed to see to form my opinion. I don't want him.

Now, maybe since his time at ASU he has become a much better coach and is ready for the challenge. If we hire him, I will be right behind him hoping he proves me wrong, but I am skeptical.

That's fine and I understand that. Coache's can get better, though. He's had has hands in a lot of different things since then and I think he appreciates what being a head coach means more now than he did.

They had a playbook on NFL network that featured him last year and I really liked his concepts in the passing game. He likes to run plays around his personnel, which is something we need here, and he runs the ball a lot and attacks deep down field to keep the safeties tired. Also, he wants the job and believes he can work with the front office. I would prefer Capers or maybe even Fewell, but we could do much worse.

Ray Finkle
01-12-2011, 07:46 AM

why not? Just wondering since I have no clue on him.

LetsGoBroncos
01-12-2011, 07:49 AM
That's fine and I understand that. Coache's can get better, though. He's had has hands in a lot of different things since then and I think he appreciates what being a head coach means more now than he did.

They had a playbook on NFL network that featured him last year and I really liked his concepts in the passing game. He likes to run plays around his personnel, which is something we need here, and he runs the ball a lot and attacks deep down field to keep the safeties tired. Also, he wants the job and believes he can work with the front office. I would prefer Capers or maybe even Fewell, but we could do much worse.

I won't be one of those people that wants him to fail so I can say I told you so. I just want the Broncos to win again and would love to be completely wrong. I like Dirk Koetter and think he is a good guy....just not sure about him as a head coach based on his time at ASU.

LetsGoBroncos
01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
why not? Just wondering since I have no clue on him.

ASU was mediocre year after year after year under him....they always are but the fact that he wasn't able to do anything different makes me think he can't be that great a coach. But maybe his time in Jacksonville has really helped him

LetsGoBroncos
01-12-2011, 07:52 AM
If we hired him and he brought a good D-Coordinator in I would be totally ok with it

Kaylore
01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
ASU was mediocre year after year after year under him....they always are

I didn't want to bring it up because I didn't want to make this a smack thread, but don't you think the athletics department is at least some factor in that? I mean I know Lisa Love has you guys doing real well in Archery and Badminton, but those don't exactly get everyone excited...

JoRo
01-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Shanahan never did. they didn't change in NE when Brady got hurt. they may dumb it down for a QB,as in not use the full playbook, but the system remains the same.

You really are smoking some good stuff then. Go back and watch the games with Cassell, for at least the first 6 games (when they were struggling) they had completely changed the game plan.

oubronco
01-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I could care less what he thinks about Tebow i'm more interested in what he thinks is best for the entire team and what kind of coordinators he's got in mind and if he's the best guy for the job what kind of schemes and direction does he want to go with

bowtown
01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
I could care less what he thinks about Tebow i'm more interested in what he thinks is best for the entire team and what kind of coordinators he's got in mind and if he's the best guy for the job what kind of schemes and direction does he want to go with

Have fun in Hell.

Chris
01-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Was that one sentence? That was one sentence.

2KBack
01-12-2011, 08:15 AM
ASU was mediocre year after year after year under him....they always are but the fact that he wasn't able to do anything different makes me think he can't be that great a coach. But maybe his time in Jacksonville has really helped him

See I look at his time in Arizona as a product of ASU not necessarily the coaching. Asu just does not attract the elite talent that other big schools do. I mean look at Erickson, that guy coached championship teams, and ASU still hasn't been as competitive as they were in the mid-2000's under Koetter.

OrangeSe7en
01-12-2011, 08:18 AM

And there was no period. Maybe he has more to add?

Kaylore
01-12-2011, 08:22 AM
See I look at his time in Arizona as a product of ASU not necessarily the coaching. Asu just does not attract the elite talent that other big schools do. I mean look at Erickson, that guy coached championship teams, and ASU still hasn't been as competitive as they were in the mid-2000's under Koetter.

That's pretty much what I was saying. I mean if they were terrible, that's one thing, but it's not like the guy coached LSU to a two win season, and it's not like they were terrible.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Gregg Williams seems to have been impressed.

Williams, who worked with Koetter in Jacksonville for a season, strongly recommended Koetter to Elway. In a text message to Elway, Williams said: "Dirk Koetter is a GREAT find on your part. I have very high regard for him."

oubronco
01-12-2011, 08:23 AM

too hard to do on a phone

HooptyHoops
01-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Gregg Williams seems to have been impressed.

Williams, who worked with Koetter in Jacksonville for a season, strongly recommended Koetter to Elway. In a text message to Elway, Williams said: "Dirk Koetter is a GREAT find on your part. I have very high regard for him."

I find it odd that Williams(who declined to interview for the job) sent a text ot Elway about how great Koetter is.....

edog24
01-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I find it odd that Williams(who declined to interview for the job) sent a text ot Elway about how great Koetter is.....

And why does he have Elways #?

Kaylore
01-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Why is that odd? I got a part in local play because my buddy was the director's first choice and he was leaving the country and referred me.

~Crash~
01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
4-6 all time vs the Jags. 3 straight losses to them while Koetter has been OC.

the weather was the problem not Koetter

Dedhed
01-12-2011, 08:37 AM

I agree. I really liked what he said in his interview, and I think he has the perfect take on Tebow. A solid honest assessment instead of the smoke that Dennison blew up our a$$es.

I would love to get a guy like Helfrich on the offensive staff. The Ducks are the most creative and exciting team to watch in all of college football, and I want coaches who can create a unique offense around a quarterback with a unique skill set at the position.

I don't put much weight at all in name recognition, and, in the little research I've done I like the connections he has which point to some of the people who might fill out his staff.

You have to think he's been in full control of that unit based on working under Jack Del Rio who is pretty much retarded, and that working as a coordinator under Jack makes Koetter's work an uphill battle from the beginning.

He's the one candidate who I like more as I learn more.

TheReverend
01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Why is that odd? I got a part in local play because my buddy was the director's first choice and he was leaving the country and referred me.

Just wanted to highlight that :wiggle:

cousinal11
01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I agree. I really liked what he said in his interview, and I think he has the perfect take on Tebow. A solid honest assessment instead of the smoke that Dennison blew up our a$$es.

I would love to get a guy like Helfrich on the offensive staff. The Ducks are the most creative and exciting team to watch in all of college football, and I want coaches who can create a unique offense around a quarterback with a unique skill set at the position.

I don't put much weight at all in name recognition, and, in the little research I've done I like the connections he has which point to some of the people who might fill out his staff.

You have to think he's been in full control of that unit based on working under Jack Del Rio who is pretty much retarded, and that working as a coordinator under Jack makes Koetter's work an uphill battle from the beginning.

He's the one candidate who I like more as I learn more.

Agree.

Ray Finkle
01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Just wanted to highlight that :wiggle:

please tell us you made an ugly female Kay....

HooptyHoops
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Odd, due to Williams only knowing Koetter for less than a year.....I'm sure you've known your buddy for more than a year....

Kaylore
01-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Odd, due to Williams only knowing Koetter for less than a year.....I'm sure you've known your buddy for more than a year....

My company just hired a woman I worked with for six months on my recommendation. She's already one of the best in our department. Why is this so weird for people? A coaching staff is a tight knit group and you work with someone for "only a year" you have a pretty good idea of how competent they are. This doesn't make Koetter the right choice, it just means the Williams thinks he will be a good fit, or at worst he's supporting a friend and colleague.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-12-2011, 09:24 AM
My company just hired a woman I worked with for six months on my recommendation. She's already one of the best in our department. Why is this so weird for people? A coaching staff is a tight knit group and you work with someone for "only a year" you have a pretty good idea of how competent they are. This doesn't make Koetter the right choice, it just means the Williams thinks he will be a good fit, or at worst he's supporting a friend and colleague.

Exactly right.

Coaching staffs work in pretty tight quarters together. If someone is incompetent, the coaches working around them KNOW it.

PRBronco
01-12-2011, 09:39 AM

It's not weird at all. People have just lost all touch with reality, and nothing is good enough right now.

HAT
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM

In before MaloCS tells us to wipe the Jags spooge from our chins.