PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Search: Dennison Video

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/headcoachingsearch.html

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
They should start the interview with: "So you have never had playcalling duties and yet are the 'coordinator' for your team. What exactly do you coordinate?"

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
They should start the interview with: "So you have never had playcalling duties and yet are the 'coordinator' for your team. What exactly do you coordinate?"

Is that seriously true? The guy has never called plays? Hilarious!

Hercules Rockefeller
01-11-2011, 12:39 PM

He has people skills

SoDak Bronco
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
If we Hire Dennison, Oh My this is going to get ugly quick. the guy is a puppet for Elway and the good ol boys at Dove Valley. Why are we getting the dumb down version of Kubiak (who I didn't want in the first place). This is such a disaster if we decide to go this route.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
If we Hire Dennison, Oh My this is going to get ugly quick. the guy is a puppet for Elway and the good ol boys at Dove Valley. Why are we getting the dumb down version of Kubiak (who I didn't want in the first place). This is such a disaster if we decide to go this route.

I really hope you're wrong.

I tend to think you're right though...

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Is that seriously true? The guy has never called plays? Hilarious!

Think about it; Bates did it, then McDaniels, then Kubiak. He's had two head coaches who both pretty much run the offense and call their own plays.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Think about it; Bates did it, then McDaniels, then Kubiak. He's had two head coaches who both pretty much run the offense and call their own plays.

I wasn't sure Kubiak was still calling the offense. If that's the case, this becomes even more of a joke.

But he's a "leader"...Hilarious!

oubronco
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
All these guys make me think Studs is just as good

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I like Dennison as a person but this place would be ripped apart worse than the Cutler/McD fiasco....

meangene
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Blah, just blah. I see Elway dressed down for this interview with the sweater.

bronco0608
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Outside your own specualtion, I don't know where you are getting this from. Have anything more substantive than that? If not, then you are wrong.

Shanahan tried to hire Dennison this week, but the Broncos refused to grant them permission to interview him. They could have blocked the Texans but didn’t because Dennison will be the offensive coordinator and will call plays.

“It’s very, very hard to leave the Broncos and Denver, but the chance to work with Gary again in this position was just too good to pass up,” Dennison said.

Like Kyle Shanahan, Dennison will be calling plays for the first time. He’s taking over an offense that ranked fourth, including first in passing, and set team records for points and yards.

“It doesn’t hurt that they’ve got a good offense, of course,” Dennison said. “They’ve got good skill people.

“Really, though, it’s all about Gary and being able to work with him again.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6812051.html

Homer Simpson
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM

I can see all of the concerns and he is in no way my number one choice, but Dennison with 2 qualified co ordinators could work? Ala
Haley without the doucheyness!

baja
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe if McD had not been let lose in the candy store we would not be in this position today.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Outside your own specualtion, I don't know where you are getting this from. Have anything more substantive than that? If not, then you are wrong.

Ah, so he has one year of calling plays apparently. And he did reasonably well at it it seems. 3rd in yards, 9th in points. So pretty much what we all expect from Shanny ball: lots of yards and not quite as many points. Maybe Tebow can cancel out that weakness...maybe...

If they hire him, I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but honestly we need to get a good DC. And who is going to want to come in and try and fix this mess?

bowtown
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Ah, so he has one year of calling plays apparently. And he did reasonably well at it it seems. 3rd in yards, 9th in points. So pretty much what we all expect from Shanny ball: lots of yards and not quite as many points. Maybe Tebow can cancel out that weakness...maybe...

If they hire him, I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but honestly we need to get a good DC. And who is going to want to come in and try and fix this mess?

Dennison has never called plays. Not in Denver and not in Houston. Kubiak still calls all plays in Houston and draws up the offensive game plan.

This quote is from Kubiak from December:

“What I do as a coordinator is I do the game plans. I go out there to call the game, but I take input from everybody. I take input from (offensive line coach) John Benton, Rico (offensive coordinator Rick Dennison) and I work together. I take input from all of the coaches. I think calling games in this league is about everybody putting their brains together. It really doesn’t matter who actually says, ‘okay, this is the play we’re going to run.’ I think we all come to that conclusion and what we want to do in situations and we go forward with that. I think being good and to me, there’s been a lot of good things on offense, comes from a lot of guys working together. It’s not just about the guy who sends the play in.”

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Kubiak just can’t let go of coordinator role - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/kubiak-just-can-t-let-go-of-coordinator-role?render=print#ixzz1AlF7ltuX

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Dennison has never called plays. Not in Denver and not in Houston. Kubiak still calls all plays in Houston and draws up the offensive game plan.

That story said otherwise. Is there evidence to back up what you are saying?

Ah, you edited. So yeah, Dennison has never called plays.

Might as well just stick with Studs then...

bowtown
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
That story said otherwise. Is there evidence to back up what you are saying?

I edited my above post with quote and link. The first article is bs. We couldn't have blocked Dennison, because he was our Oline coach and Houston wanted to hire him as an OC. Had nothing to do with him calling plays.

Popps
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM

I'm not sure I buy the puppet-stuff... but I agree. This is the worst possible move we could make. The absolute worst. (Of realistic options.)

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM

um, no. Kubiak still calls the plays. That article is a year old exactly. Not the most current article. They have had an entire season since then, and Kubiak did all the play calling.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM

This quote is from Kubiak from December:

“What I do as a coordinator is I do the game plans. I go out there to call the game, but I take input from everybody. I take input from (offensive line coach) John Benton, Rico (offensive coordinator Rick Dennison) and I work together. I take input from all of the coaches. I think calling games in this league is about everybody putting their brains together. It really doesn’t matter who actually says, ‘okay, this is the play we’re going to run.’ I think we all come to that conclusion and what we want to do in situations and we go forward with that. I think being good and to me, there’s been a lot of good things on offense, comes from a lot of guys working together. It’s not just about the guy who sends the play in.”

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Kubiak just can’t let go of coordinator role - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/kubiak-just-can-t-let-go-of-coordinator-role?render=print#ixzz1AlF7ltuX
Yes, thank you. So there you have it in Kubiak's own words that he calls plays.

Rohirrim
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
My gut level reaction to Dennison is - blecch.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I didn't know we were hiring Dennison to call plays, I thought we were hiring him to be the head coach. I know we used to the micro manager coach but that model isn't the only one out there.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I didn't know we were hiring Dennison to call plays, I thought we were hiring him to be the head coach. I know we used to the micro manager coach but that model isn't the only one out there.

I think the point is he lacks the experience to be a head coach.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I think the point is he lacks the experience to be a head coach.

Calling plays isn't the key part of being the head coach. It about the management of the team (both players and the coaches), empower people that work for him, getting everyone on the same page/vision and making smart decisions. Dennison's career points to well round individuals able to do that job. Folks on this board would be all over Russ Grimm if he was candidate, and he has the same background as Rico.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Calling plays isn't the key part of being the head coach. It about the management of the team (both players and the coaches), empower people that work for him, getting everyone on the same page/vision and making smart decisions. Dennison's career points to well round individuals able to do that job. Folks on this board would be all over Russ Grimm if he was candidate, and he has the same background as Rico.

Let's be honest, if he brings his brand of Shanny ball here, he's likely going to be very involved with the play calling.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Ok, when Dennison has another decade of experience with a few more teams then I would definitely consider him.

UberBroncoMan
01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I was fine with Dennison so long as we got a killer at DC...this video worries me. He doesn't come off as a great public speaker. He used very simple words and stated the obvious about everything. I didn't see much energy or passion. While Perry looked like a kiss ass at least he had the excitement, same with Stud. =/

broncocalijohn
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM

If we go this route, it is because everyone else turned us down. I cant imagine us being this lo on the totem pole.

yerner
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Looks like a head coach.

bowtown
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I was fine with Dennison so long as we got a killer at DC...this video worries me. He doesn't come off as a great public speaker. He used very simple words and stated the obvious about everything. I didn't see much energy or passion. While Perry looked like a kiss ass at least he had the excitement, same with Stud. =/

But Stink said he was the smartest man to ever live.

orinjkrush
01-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Bingo.

The real keys will be the OC and the DC, IHMO. if they are great, the HC will also be.

bowtown
01-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Bingo.

The real keys will be the OC and the DC, IHMO. if they are great, the HC will also be.

Then what the hell do we even need a HC for? Let's just call these interviews off and go get a OC and DC. Yeehaw

yerner
01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
But Stink said he was the smartest man to ever live.

Your views on Dennison are bizarre. Well Done. How is it possible to be that passionate about any of these interviewing coaches? I'm really curious?

bowtown
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Your views on Dennison are bizarre. Well Done. How is it possible to be that passionate about any of these interviewing coaches? I'm really curious?

You think my views are bizarre? What's bizarre about them? He's the least experienced of all the candidates by a mile. Not sure why it would be crazy for me to think he should be at the bottom of the list for a job that is going to be a complete overhaul of a broken team, when he hasn't even ever successfully lead one full phase of a successful team. If he weren't an ex coach here, he wouldn't even be on the radar, nor is he or has he ever been on on any other team's radar.

What does seem bizarre to me would be to hire a glorified position coach, with no real experience other than what we just, 2 years ago, decided we needed a change from. How does that make any sense?

Look, I like Rick Dennison as an Oline coach. But I really don't think it's crazy to have a lot of doubts about what he brings to the table, especially when it's hard to look past the fact that if he weren't an ex-bronco and on Shanahan's staff, he would never have been anywhere near this list.

Gutless Drunk
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/11/broncos-continue-to-share-coaching-search-info/

"Broncos continue to share coaching-search info
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2011, 5:05 PM EST
elway_ap_091022

As Rosenthal pointed out on Monday, the Denver Broncos suddenly have become one of the most open and cooperative franchises in all of sports.

They’re regularly providing updates regarding their search for a new coach. In the morning, executive V.P. of football operations John Elway made it known that Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennision and Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter would be in the building. Elway even invited fans to submit questions for the candidates.

Then, V.P. of public relations Jim Saccomano said that he had “impressive meetings” with both men, and that they are “[v]ery impressive candidates.”

(Curiously, neither Elway nor Saccomano posted anything about Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams opting not to interview for the head-coaching job.)

We’ve (or at least I’ve) got a theory on why the Broncos suddenly have adopted a rare sense of gridiron glasnost. Saccomano realizes that the unconventional desire to hire Elway to run the football operation could have become a lightning rod for criticism, both from the fans and the media alike. By making it easier for the fans to get information and for the media to do their jobs, Saccamano came up with a strategy that neutralized the natural inclination to question a decision to turn the franchise over to a retired Hall of Fame player with no experience or qualifications to run an NFL franchise.

How well is it working? Folks also are barely noticing that many of the head-coaching candidates aren’t candidates for any other head-coaching job. And no one has said much at all negative about the prospect of John Fox bringing his 2-14 record from Charlotte.

So congrats, Broncos. You’ve managed to turn a potential P.R. nightmare into a positive situation. Let’s see if you can pull off similar magic if/when the losses pile up.

Again."

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2011, 04:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/11/broncos-continue-to-share-coaching-search-info/

elway_ap_091022

As Rosenthal pointed out on Monday, the Denver Broncos suddenly have become one of the most open and cooperative franchises in all of sports.

They’re regularly providing updates regarding their search for a new coach. In the morning, executive V.P. of football operations John Elway made it known that Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennision and Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter would be in the building. Elway even invited fans to submit questions for the candidates.

Then, V.P. of public relations Jim Saccomano said that he had “impressive meetings” with both men, and that they are “[v]ery impressive candidates.”
(Curiously, neither Elway nor Saccomano posted anything about Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams opting not to interview for the head-coaching job.)

We’ve (or at least I’ve) got a theory on why the Broncos suddenly have adopted a rare sense of gridiron glasnost. Saccomano realizes that the unconventional desire to hire Elway to run the football operation could have become a lightning rod for criticism, both from the fans and the media alike. By making it easier for the fans to get information and for the media to do their jobs, Saccamano came up with a strategy that neutralized the natural inclination to question a decision to turn the franchise over to a retired Hall of Fame player with no experience or qualifications to run an NFL franchise.

How well is it working? Folks also are barely noticing that many of the head-coaching candidates aren’t candidates for any other head-coaching job. And no one has said much at all negative about the prospect of John Fox bringing his 2-14 record from Charlotte.

So congrats, Broncos. You’ve managed to turn a potential P.R. nightmare into a positive situation. Let’s see if you can pull off similar magic if/when the losses pile up.

Again."

This scares the crap out of me!:notthissh

Requiem
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Cut the crap on Dennison. This guy looks like the Mad Magazine dude's retarded brother. Pass.

yerner
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
You think my views are bizarre? What's bizarre about them? He's the least experienced of all the candidates by a mile. Not sure why it would be crazy for me to think he should be at the bottom of the list for a job that is going to be a complete overhaul of a broken team, when he hasn't even ever successfully lead one full phase of a successful team. If he weren't an ex coach here, he wouldn't even be on the radar, nor is he or has he ever been on on any other team's radar.

What does seem bizarre to me would be to hire a glorified position coach, with no real experience other than what we just, 2 years ago, decided we needed a change from. How does that make any sense?

Look, I like Rick Dennison as an Oline coach. But I really don't think it's crazy to have a lot of doubts about what he brings to the table, especially when it's hard to look past the fact that if he weren't an ex-bronco and on Shanahan's staff, he would never have been anywhere near this list.

Fair enough.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Let's be honest, if he brings his brand of Shanny ball here, he's likely going to be very involved with the play calling.

Yes there most like be an OC that runs WCO passing attack and form of ZB. But Dennison has learned both Shanahan and McDaniels systems and might be the guy that can steal/borrow ideas from both as we go forward bring an interesting hybrid to the field.

BigPlayShay
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
FWIW: Kubiak is on the Fan right now, and just said that Dennison called some plays in Houston this year.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
FWIW: Kubiak is on the Fan right now, and just said that Dennison called some plays in Houston this year.

Another Omane myth that doesn't stand up to light of day.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 04:46 PM

elway_ap_091022

Again."

Wow, that's pretty harsh... I think keeping the fans informed is helpful.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I wonder if Pat Bowlen slept with Florio's wife or something. Has the guy ever written anything positive about the Broncos?

elsid13
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Look where it comes from. Elway is doing what he said when he was hired, trying to reconnect the fan to the team. I think it is interesting approach in over secretive NFL, when those guys act like they are doing something as important as national security.

meangene
01-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Florio is King of the Douchebags. You just want to pummel him.

Bronco Yoda
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I want a HC that is more of a 'Leader' than play caller.

2KBack
01-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes there most like be an OC that runs WCO passing attack and form of ZB. But Dennison has learned both Shanahan and McDaniels systems and might be the guy that can steal/borrow ideas from both as we go forward bring an interesting hybrid to the field.

One thing Dennison really does have going for him, is that he has worked closely with Shanahan, Kubiak, and McD. He's seen what each has done when they were successful and vice versa, and he is familiar with a great deal of the Denver roster already.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I want a HC that is more of a 'Leader' than play caller.

I want one that can put his ego aside and work with his subordinates to produce a winning team.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
One thing Dennison really does have going for him, is that he has worked closely with Shanahan, Kubiak, and McD. He's seen what each has done when they were successful and vice versa, and he is familiar with a great deal of the Denver roster already.

I know Dennison isn't popular name with folks on the mane, but my gut tells me he is the guy we need to bring the glory back.

fountelway
01-11-2011, 05:14 PM
i hope they hire rick dennison. he knows defense offense and speical teams. he is really smart knows the history of the broncos. never understood the hate for him when he was here. but thats all the orangemane has become lately.

Hamrob
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I'll tell you what...everyone who knows Dennison says he's one of the smartest guys that they know. In terms of experience...he played LB in the NFL for 10yrs...and he coached on the Defense, Special Teams and Offensive sides of the ball for the past 15+yrs.

The guy is definitely qualified. Who cares if he's called the plays or not...can he hire somebody that can call the plays? Yes.

As for Florio...who's out there (besides Harbaugh) makes anyone really want to hire them.

Rivera, Mularkey?

Fox, Billek, Williams?

Gruden, "The Chin" who want total control of the team???

Look...none of these choices are A-List. I'm fine with Dennison!

Tim
01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't get all the dennison hate. They guy did nothing but good in any situation he was in and now all these internet wizards think he's never called a play and think he can't coach.

Its his job to lose and I couldn't be happier

gunns
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I can see all of the concerns and he is in no way my number one choice, but Dennison with 2 qualified co ordinators could work? Ala
Haley without the doucheyness!

Yeah so could I.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I still think the people that like him only do because it's a connection to the SB era teams. Keep living in the past, guys.

Looking at the videos, which are just a snipped, it looks like Koetter knows how to interview with someone the best. He right off starts selling himself as a head coach and using verbage that the finding committee is probably using.

gunns
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't get all the dennison hate. They guy did nothing but good in any situation he was in and now all these internet wizards think he's never called a play and think he can't coach.

Its his job to lose and I couldn't be happier

So you started watching Broncos football when?

gunns
01-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll tell you what...everyone who knows Dennison says he's one of the smartest guys that they know. In terms of experience...he played LB in the NFL for 10yrs...and he coached on the Defense, Special Teams and Offensive sides of the ball for the past 15+yrs.

The guy is definitely qualified. Who cares if he's called the plays or not...can he hire somebody that can call the plays? Yes.

As for Florio...who's out there (besides Harbaugh) makes anyone really want to hire them.

Rivera, Mularkey?

Fox, Billek, Williams?

When did Dennison coach defense? When did he ever do a coaching job by himself, with his own ideas and schemes? Oh yeah, when he was a special team coach and I felt about him like I do Priefer.

Tim
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
So you started watching Broncos football when?

ticket holder since 89' watched them for at least 10 years before that. I know its weird if your not on the orangemane you can watch games huh?

Perry1977
01-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I just want somebody who can hold his own in a bar fight.

Que
01-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Oh he's perfect then. We'll actually get an OC that will call plays and he will have successfully avoided it his entire career. He couldn't be more perfect for the HC position.

/sarcasm

yerner
01-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Dennison for sure.

titan
01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I still think the people that like him only do because it's a connection to the SB era teams. Keep living in the past, guys.

Looking at the videos, which are just a snipped, it looks like Koetter knows how to interview with someone the best. He right off starts selling himself as a head coach and using verbage that the finding committee is probably using.

I thought the same. I wasn't that impressed when Koetter's name first came up but I feel better about him after I saw the video. I thought he did the best and Fewell came off well too. Dennison was the worst. Wasn't Dennison the offensive line coach when the oline had a pact not to talk to the press?

Would Dennison be a head coach candidate anywhere else in the league? Kind of reminds me when the Nuggets brought back Dan Issel to be their GM (a popular "in the family" type of hire). We know how that turned out.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Ha!

now yer talk'n

crush17
01-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I enjoyed the Koetter video.

I am also not opposed to Rick Dennison as much as many here are.

The only think I'm concerned with is that the Broncos make the right choice.

Lord help us if we see some sort of "fan poll" on who we think the next coach should be.

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 07:40 PM

are you a Raiders fan ?:clown:

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Actually, IMHO, Dennison might be great as the HC if he's a great people manager. Who knows, he might excel as a HC. Everyone knows Dennison knows the game, it may be more if he can manage his coaches and allow them to do their jobs effectively. We all know McD is a great coach but a lousy manager of people. If Dennison has the ability to lead and manage the coaching staff and the team, he may be a great HC.

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
you guys going by a couple sound bites wow ....piant me surprised

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
When did Dennison coach defense? When did he ever do a coaching job by himself, with his own ideas and schemes? Oh yeah, when he was a special team coach and I felt about him like I do Priefer.

You do understand to stop the D from disrupting the play, you have to have a clue as to were and what the D is about to do before the snap ? Right ? add in that he was a LB'er for some years might mean most of his roots still is on the Dside of the footbal.

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Kaylor you know for fact that Dennison has never made calls ?

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
You guys act like being a Bronco is a bad thing . Well there are 31 other teams.

JoRo
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Rivera, Mularkey?

Fox, Billek, Williams?

The thing I don't get with Florio is this.

Look at the teams that had openings this year who actually interviewed other people

Carolina
Chokeland
Us
Cleveland
San Francisco

The only one that interviewed with more than one of those teams was Fewell who we happened to interview. Other than that Cleveland has looked at people Holmgren is familiar with, Chokeland has looked at Jackson, SF looked at McD (headliner right there!) and Jimmy boy

Seems to me like we're doing just fine, so long as we don't hire Studes...

elsid13
01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Kaylor you know for fact that Dennison has never made calls ?

It stated on this thread already that Kubes said on the radio today that Dennison did call plays this year. Add in the fact that he spent time developing the game plan week in and week out and you have guy that has enough experience to be head coach.

What I really like Dennison as a candidate is he a all round football guy, not a hot shot coordinator who wants to proves that he's the next Bill Walsh.

elsid13
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Special Teams is about depth not coaching. Denver didn't have a lot of depth in those year when he was coaching special teams.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
He has people skills

I would discount that to much, 'cause we know what a f---in' jackwagon McDumbf--- could be.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Acutally he was sp coach suring the SB. And had Darren Gordon how was the first to return a kickoff and punt for TD in the same half.

gunns
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
ticket holder since 89' watched them for at least 10 years before that. I know its weird if your not on the orangemane you can watch games huh?

Has nothing to do with that. I just wonder if you'd ever seen Dennison's special teams, or knew that Gibbs was working with him when he "coached" the OL or that he never really did anything on his own. Maybe you missed all that.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I was struck by how much better both Fewell and Studesville were in their "interview" videos. Maybe "Rico" gets stage fright.

However, when you hear people like Peyton Manning talk about a coach being a great communicator, and then you hear both Fewell and Studesville (but particularly Fewell) outline both the opportunity and their vision in a far more clear and concise manner, it makes you think they're far better candidates for the job.

gunns
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
You do understand to stop the D from disrupting the play, you have to have a clue as to were and what the D is about to do before the snap ? Right ? add in that he was a LB'er for some years might mean most of his roots still is on the Dside of the footbal.

I'm very well aware that he was a LBer and that you would need to know the D to stop it. It was stated that he coached defense and I asked the simple question when.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I also thought that Koetter's comments were interesting regarding having been an HC before.

I liked his take that it made him a better assistant coach because he had the perspesctive of knowing what the HC might be going through.

gunns
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
You guys act like being a Bronco is a bad thing . Well there are 31 other teams.

Being a Bronco is not a bad thing by any means. But being a Bronco doesn't necessarily make you a head coach.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 08:37 PM

FAIL on numerous levels.

Never coached defense, and I absolutely care whether an HC candidate has had the responsibility of calling every play under the fire of game day. He was terrible as the ST coach, which was probably the position in which he had the most responsibility.

I'm fine with Dennison!Yeah, that's how we want to feel about our new HC. "Fine, whatever. Sign him up".

Broncojef
01-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Being a Bronco is not a bad thing by any means. But being a Bronco doesn't necessarily make you a head coach.

“Rico,” as he is known, coached as an offensive assistant (’95-’96), special teams coordinator (’97-2000), offensive line coach (’01-’05) and offensive coordinator (’06-’08) for the Broncos under Shanahan and, for one season (’09), under McDaniels. In his 24 seasons with Denver, he was a member of five of the six Broncos teams to appear in the Super Bowl. He was a key staff member under Shanahan for both Broncos teams that took home the Lombardi Trophy. With two rings, five Super Bowl appearances and seven appearances in the AFC Championship game as a player or coach, Dennison has tons more big-game experience than any of the other five candidates.

Dennison has played or coached in more seasons in which his team went to the Super Bowl (five) than Koetter has coached in the NFL (four). Koetter was a college coach for 24 years before joining Jack Del Rio’s staff in Jacksonville in 2007.

Dennison has learned NFL football from several successful coaches including Dan Reeves, Alex Gibbs, Gary Kubiak and Shanahan. He played and learned defense from two of the better defensive coordinators of the last thirty years, Joe Collier and Wade Phillips. He is the only one of the six candidates to have experience in all three facets of the game – offense, defense and special teams. In his 26 years in NFL Dennison has been a part of only five teams that finished the season with a losing record. In contrast, in his nine years as Head Coach, Fox’s Carolina Panthers had four losing seasons.

Dennison seems to have anything and everything we could hope for in a coach.
http://www.berthoudrecorder.com/2011/01/11/elway’s-broncos-must-build-a-foundation-with-their-new-head-coach/?noloop=1

baja
01-11-2011, 09:26 PM
I know Dennison isn't popular name with folks on the mane, but my gut tells me he is the guy we need to bring the glory back.

I get the same feeling

yerner
01-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Master's degree in Civil Eng? That's interesting.

bowtown
01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
In his 26 years in NFL Dennison has been a part of only five teams that finished the season with a losing record. In contrast, in his nine years as Head Coach, Fox’s Carolina Panthers had four losing seasons.

All I took from this is that John Fox has been a HC for 9 seasons, 5 of them winning seasons and Rick Dennison has been a HC for zero.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
In his 26 years in NFL Dennison has been a part of only five teams that finished the season with a losing record. In contrast, in his nine years as Head Coach, Fox’s Carolina Panthers had four losing seasons.

And McD claimed that he had never been part of a losing team before last season. Point?

baja
01-11-2011, 09:57 PM

That's not why I like him. I like him because he has a well rounded work history a reputation of being very smart, level headed and supposedly works well with every one he has coached. I have heard he is a good teacher. He offers stability and I think he will get the players playing together. I think he will fine good coordinators and support them to be the best they can be. Shanny wanted him, Kubes wanted him and McD wanted him so he has been valued by everyone he has worked with his whole career. We need a calm steady guy right now. We don't need a disciplinarian or a screamer or a ego driven mastermind type. We need a steading force that is familiar with the Broncos and that guy is Rick Dennison.

Broncojef
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
All I took from this is that John Fox has been a HC for 9 seasons, 5 of them winning seasons and Rick Dennison has been a HC for zero.

I realize everyone wants to plug-in a guaranteed winner yet everyone treats Dennison like some chump with no experience in these threads, rationalizing the only way he'll get hired is if Elway treats him as a buddy. When compared to the other candidates he has a career spanning his college career in Colorado, been a part of the Orange crush talent that put us on the map playing in some of our better defenses, was a coach through our SuperBowl years and understands how to build a rushing attack that has been desperately woeful as of late. Hire a good DC and I personally think he is easily our man. If you took something less than that away from the article I hope the Broncos have a better HC hidden away somewhere and we can both be happy about it.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
What the difference between "Rico" and other coaches that jumped from position coaches like Reheem Morris to HC?

Broncojef
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
And McD claimed that he had never been part of a losing team before last season. Point?

None, you got it man!

bowtown
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
What the difference between "Rico" and other coaches that jumped from position coaches like Reheem Morris to HC?

Nothing, including the fact that if our team was in this situation at the end of '08, I wouldn't want him either.

Broncojef
01-11-2011, 10:09 PM

No one here knew Morris like we know Dennison...you can't go home.

Dedhed
01-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Other than the fact that it took like 2 years for Morris to be recognized as HC material, and it took "Rico" 25 years to get an interview?

Maybe that says something.

baja
01-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Other than the fact that it took like 2 years for Morris to be recognized as HC material, and it took "Rico" 25 years to get an interview?

Maybe that says something.

Ya we needed a "Rico Rule"

broncolife
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
So if we get Dennison as Headcoach who is going to babysit him for the first couple years until he learns how to be a HC?

His previous babysitters

ST-Mr. Suck
OL-Gibbs
OC-Heimerdinger
HC-????

bowtown
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
So if we get Dennison as Headcoach who is going to babysit him for the first couple years until he learns how to be a HC?

ST-Mr. Suck
OL-Gibbs
OC-Heimerdinger
HC-????

You'd be lucky two get 2 weeks out of Gibbs before he sailed off into retirement... again.

Broncojef
01-11-2011, 10:24 PM

His previous babysitters

ST-Mr. Suck
OL-Gibbs
OC-Heimerdinger
HC-????

Dudes been in the NFL for 26 seasons I'd bet he could figure it out.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Nothing, including the fact that if our team was in this situation at the end of '08, I wouldn't want him either.

Ooookk. We were down to our 8th RB, and they all ave. over 4 yards a carry. We were top 5 in sacks allowed. What a horrible place to be.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
No one here knew Morris like we know Dennison...you can't go home.

ahhh. Nobody knew who he was until they interviewed him.

Broncojef
01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
ahhh. Nobody knew who he was until they interviewed him.

Morris is 13-19 as a coach with no where near the background of Dennison..I'll support whoever they get. I love the Broncos. All these coordinators on better teams seem way overhyped by some on this board (especially the defensive guys) and everyone thinks that will translate to a better HC for the Broncos. Just saying Dennison ain't all that bad of an option and may be the best choice for where our team is at right now.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Morris is 13-19 as a coach with no where near the background of Dennison..I'll support whoever they get. I love the Broncos. All these coordinators on better teams seem way overhyped by some on this board (especially the defensive guys) and everyone thinks that will translate to a better HC for the Broncos. Just saying Dennison ain't all that bad of an option and may be the best choice for where our team is at right now.

I got question about "Rico" too. But, lack of HC experience or whatever that has been posted ain't them.

wolf754life
01-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Dennison is in the final 3, with fewell, and they want fox first, i'm hearing its about Money with fox, if its too much they will pass, fewell is the guy in that scenario

rico is third

pricejj
01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Dennison is in the final 3, with fewell, and they want fox first, i'm hearing its about Money with fox, if its too much they will pass, fewell is the guy in that scenario

Perry Fewell: has done nothing notable as a Defensive Coordinator. He coached the NY Football Giants to the 17th best (PPG) Defense in the league this year. His best year as a DC is 14th (PPG) in 2008 with the Bills. Fewell is a great guy but... come on man.

John Fox: is it the best we can do to take the coach from the only team worse than us in the league this year? What the ****?

Rico: Call Mike Singletary for DC, and let's get to work. GO BRONCOS

Tim
01-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Has nothing to do with that. I just wonder if you'd ever seen Dennison's special teams, or knew that Gibbs was working with him when he "coached" the OL or that he never really did anything on his own. Maybe you missed all that.

Maybe you need to lay off the rumors. Sure dennison was gibbs apprentice with the zbs till gibbs went to atlanta in 04, but did gibbs come to denver's training camp in 08 and transform the Oline into one of the best in league and then when he left it suddenly looks average? Blocking schemes have nothing to do with anything in the nfl anymore either, all teams have power running and zone blocking. The question to you is, how long have you been watching the broncos football and acting like your watching broncos football.

SoCalBronco
01-12-2011, 10:25 PM

rico is third

If this is true, it would prove Joe Ellis lied......again.

strafen
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Let's be honest...
The pool of candidates we have is depressing...it really is.

We're trying to figure out who is better, if that's the right question.

I'm not rooting for anyone of them in particular at this point.
Whoever is going to be, so be it...