PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhone 4 comes to Verizon

beanerbronco
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
So who is getting it?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/iphone.jsp

bowtown
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll tell you who's getting it, all of Verizon's customers... right in the pooper.

Welcome to your new ****ty overburdened service!

Los Broncos
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice phone, but I love my G2, maybe in a couple years I'll do the iphone.

BroncosSR
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I'll tell you who's getting it, all of Verizon's customers... right in the pooper.

I'd be willing to bet their CDMA network will scale much better than AT&T's ever did.

Los Broncos
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd be willing to bet their CDMA network will scale much better than AT&T's ever did.

Yeah AT sucks, that's why I switched, I couldn't make a call in my house had to go outside.

Binkythefrog
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm on Verizon, but I don't plan on ditching my Android phone, too big a fan of drag and drop sync and Google Maps navigation.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Verizon >>>>>>> AT&T

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I love my droid, and won't be up for a new phone for at least six months after the iphone comes out on VZ. I might switch eventually, though. Depends on what they add/subtract from each platform before I make a decision.

And yes, VZW is about 100000000x the company and network of At&Poop.

Tyrant
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Long time Verizon guy and had hoped for the IPhone...until I stumbled on the HTC Incredible. Love that phone. Don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Archer81
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
My "new every two" thing is up in Sept 2011. Enough time for the kinks to get worked out before I make a switch. It will be the I-Phone or a Droid phone. Just depends on what is packaged with it and the $.

:Broncos:

OBF1
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Verizon for years... No iPhone for me.

Likwid Kerruj
01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Can you talk and access the Orange Mane yet on Verizon?

Vegas_Bronco
01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I have the droid x and it has literally saved me 3-4 hrs a week from useless internet time. Verizon purchased the largest amount of govt auctioned satellite gigs...thus u have the 4G hitting the market. Verizon will lead in cell srvc for years to come...get use to it and accept it. Iphones are going into cars next.

Only probe withe droid is that it wont run ms silverlight and therefore u can't get netflix or trading software or any other live feed source w/out a laptop. I tethered my phone to a laptop and works really well for all of the above.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I really like my iphone 4. Especially the HD camcorder function. I have a nice HD digital camcorder which makes taking and archiving regular video of the kiddos a snap, but often times the stuff you want to record happens when the camcorder is at home. Always have my phone on me, and the picture is outstanding all things considered. The battery life issue isn't great, but it's certainly better than the previous iphone versions. Obviously I've been on AT&T as that has been the only option outside of jailbreaking the phone, but I'm pretty happy with the service here in NE Oklahoma. We have pretty zippy 3g service almost everywhere here.

I have a question for the verizon subscibers. I'm building a house in the country, which is well outside of DSL and Cable internet service. I'm considering satellite broadband, but I've used it elsewhere and have been extremely disappointed. I can get 3g Verizon out there. I was thinking about just using a mobile wifi as the home connection instead satellite. What is your experience with verizon's wireless broadband performance, especially in conparison to something like Hughesnet?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM

I've been able to access OM through VZW for the last several years. First from my blackberry, now from my droid.

Was this an issue at some point?

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM

At least 40% of my posts on this board are from my Droid.

baja
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
I really like my iphone 4. Especially the HD camcorder function. I have a nice HD digital camcorder which makes taking and archiving regular video of the kiddos a snap, but often times the stuff you want to record happens when the camcorder is at home. Always have my phone on me, and the picture is outstanding all things considered. The battery life issue isn't great, but it's certainly better than the previous iphone versions. Obviously I've been on AT&T as that has been the only option outside of jailbreaking the phone, but I'm pretty happy with the service here in NE Oklahoma. We have pretty zippy 3g service almost everywhere here.

I have a question for the verizon subscibers. I'm building a house in the country, which is well outside of DSL and Cable internet service. I'm considering satellite broadband, but I've used it elsewhere and have been extremely disappointed. I can get 3g Verizon out there. I was thinking about just using a mobile wifi as the home connection instead satellite. What is your experience with verizon's wireless broadband performance, especially in conparison to something like Hughesnet?

Mobile wifi head and shoulders better than Satellite. Sat here in Mx is slow slow and forget VOI phones they don't work. If you got good 3G that is the way to go.

Archer81
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Probably not. CDMA does not allow for data and talk at the same time. The way this is structured, the I-Phone 4 will be outdated when Apple releases a new product in June or July, so anyone who rushes out in February to get the I-Phone 4 might be stuck with it for awhile. I wonder if the I-Phone 5 will run on Verizon's LTE4G network they have.

That would be cool.

:Broncos:

chadta
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I really like my iphone 4. Especially the HD camcorder function. I have a nice HD digital camcorder which makes taking and archiving regular video of the kiddos a snap, but often times the stuff you want to record happens when the camcorder is at home. Always have my phone on me, and the picture is outstanding all things considered. The battery life issue isn't great, but it's certainly better than the previous iphone versions.

i use my iphone more for games, and as a camera than i do as a phone, thats why i set it up on the pay as you go, ( yeah i know not supposed to) if i want data its only a buck a day, if i really need it, otherwise everything works, and with wifi everywhere you hardly need a data plan anyhow, i think my phone has cost me 40 bucks for the last 6 months or so worth of use, but i always have a camera, phone book, calendar, and oh yeah its a phone too.

SoDak Bronco
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
The new Iphone with Verizon is not going to be 4G which is a huge minus, I will wait until the next version that has 4G.

broncosteven
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I have been looking at the windows 7 phone.

I still have a 4 year old tilt which is not really a smart phone but I can get email, internet, text and more importantly Outlook sync, Word and Excel files.

I turned off the Data plan a couple years back because I didn't use it enough to justify, but now that I am needing it more and more I thought I would either upgrade to Droid or Win7 or just pay the $20 extra a month for data.

Popps
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Perfect timing for me.

I'm with ATT but contract is up and need an iPhone 4. (3G getting long in the tooth.)

But, I need to see what we're talking about, pricing-wise. ATT signal sucks, no question.

But, maybe ATT will want to play ball to keep me as a customer, too. :)

Rigs11
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Heard that the verizon iPhone wont allow you to talk on the phone and surf at the same time.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Heard that the verizon iPhone wont allow you to talk on the phone and surf at the same time.

And I guess this is some sort of attraction for people?

Apparently I'm missing out, but I've never thought "man, while I'm having this conversation, I sure would like to be giving my attention to something else."

Can't imagine my girlfriend would like the end result of this. "Are you surfing the web on your phone while you're talking to me? Sounds like you have me on speaker." Guh. No thank you.

Boobs McGee
01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
@ elusive - I think it would be nice if you're doing things like getting directions, looking for movies, restaurants etc etc...more for functionality than actually surfing the web

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
@ elusive - I think it would be nice if you're doing things like getting directions, looking for movies, restaurants etc etc...more for functionality than actually surfing the web

That makes sense, but almost everyone I know has a smartphone now, so the person on the other end of the call probably has the same maps capability that I have.

/shrug

I guess it could be handy... I just wouldn't use it. I always laughed when Fat Lesbian Luke Wilson was bragging about AT&T's ability to do that... when their network sucks so much ****.

Boobs McGee
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Haha I'm right there with you....NEVER had the instance to need that feature yet, I'm just brainstorming :)

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2011, 02:39 PM
iphone 5 comes out in may. Wait

HILife
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm a Android fan on verizon. Never plan on leaving Android.

HILife
01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I have the droid x and it has literally saved me 3-4 hrs a week from useless internet time. Verizon purchased the largest amount of govt auctioned satellite gigs...thus u have the 4G hitting the market. Verizon will lead in cell srvc for years to come...get use to it and accept it. Iphones are going into cars next.

Only probe withe droid is that it wont run ms silverlight and therefore u can't get netflix or trading software or any other live feed source w/out a laptop. I tethered my phone to a laptop and works really well for all of the above.

I stream music and live radio to my phone. At the CES event there was a Netflix app on one of the Android phones. It's only a matter of time before all of them get it.

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/07/netflix-app-spotted-on-the-lg-revolution/

broncosteven
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I stream music and live radio to my phone. At the CES event there was a Netflix app on one of the Android phones. It's only a matter of time before all of them get it.

I don't get the need to watch a movie or TV show on my phone.

I like the idea of the google netbook that is driven by the phone for apps that need a keyboard or bigger display but playing or watching TV/movies on a phone or laptop has no attraction to me.

Doggcow
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I have AT&T and a Torch.

Nope.

Doggcow
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM

I like the idea of the google netbook that is driven by the phone for apps that need a keyboard or bigger display but playing or watching TV/movies on a phone or laptop has no attraction to me.

I love my ability to use apps, and browse the web, email, etc.

My phone has essentially replaced my laptop. I don't need to take it anywhere anymore.

ant1999e
01-11-2011, 03:18 PM

I've had this problem a few times.

SoDak Bronco
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
anyone own an Ipad? When is the new one coming out? Sorry to get of track

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
this is why i will not be getting an iphone, because i know there are millions of retards like this who will buy it

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dr. Broncenstein
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
this is why i will not be getting an iphone, because i know there are millions of retards like this who will buy it

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Achievement unlocked: unwitting irony

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Achievement unlocked: unwitting irony

****ing youtube!!!!!!!!!

Popps
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Got my wife one for Xmas. She's insane over it. Basically has replaced her older laptop. It's pretty nice. Video looks phenomenal on it. Games look great.
Syncs with all the other Apple stuff in the house. My only gripe is that RIGHT NOW, there is no wireless printing option without jumping through hoops. But, word is... that's coming very shortly.

New ones to have cameras, too... which is cool if you need it. We don't really need it on the iPad. If we want to video conference with people, we can use FaceTime on the iPods, or do it from any of the built-ins on the Macs.

Popps
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM

You should get what you like, man.

Why worry about what other people are doing?

Que
01-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I have been looking at the windows 7 phone.

I still have a 4 year old tilt which is not really a smart phone but I can get email, internet, text and more importantly Outlook sync, Word and Excel files.

I turned off the Data plan a couple years back because I didn't use it enough to justify, but now that I am needing it more and more I thought I would either upgrade to Droid or Win7 or just pay the $20 extra a month for data.

teeeheee. you said "Windows"

Good commercials actually.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
You should get what you like, man.

Why worry about what other people are doing?

i agree with that, but with the iphone which is truly an inferior phone, so many people get one simply because it is an iphone. it is just an annoying product.

Popps
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
i agree with that, but with the iphone which is truly an inferior phone, so many people get one simply because it is an iphone. it is just an annoying product.

Inferior is your opinion. Most feel differently, obviously. (Sales show such.)

It's just a user-friendly, buyer-friendly product. No need to be upset about it.

But, again... it seems like just buying the product you like the most would be easier than worrying about what other people are doing. My two cents.

Que
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Ya, I have had one since they came out. My mother just got one. My sister and her family have one.

New one is coming out some time in April last I saw. A few thoughts on it:

1. Yes, it is FKNA cool

2. The battery life is damn impressive

3. No, it doesn't replace my laptop. Though, I know of people who travel just with their iPad and leave the lappy at home. I could see doing that if you spend most of your time of business trips reviewing things and replying to email etc as opposed to creating stuff or doing heavy editing

4. I have the WiFi version. Wish I had the 3G because I travel so much. But if you don't travel for work, WiFi is just fine

5. I prefer the Kindle to the iPad for reading books

6. I prefer the iPad to the Kindle for anything else (obviously)

7. The cameras would be really nice as long as you have a bunch of iOS or OS X users in your friends and family circle because Facetime is pretty cool

8. It smudges... which you only notice when it is off or when you are looking at it at like a 45 degree angle. But head on you don't notice it and if you do, you just wipe it down.

Sir_Robin
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

It's the next best thing to a tranquilizer for kids when you are stuck in a waiting room some where. Turn on some Thomas the Tank Engine on my iPhone and the kids are nice and calm for a good 30 minutes.

Vegas_Bronco
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM

Sweet! For those of you wondering why u would ever need a phone to watch a movie....think of the possibilities of hooking up a hdmi cable from your phone directly to your tv....that's gravy right there.

troya900
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Sweet! For those of you wondering why u would ever need a phone to watch a movie....think of the possibilities of hooking up a hdmi cable from your phone directly to your tv....that's gravy right there.

I have a Droid X and Android does have flash.(If you have at least Android 2.2 I believe) Go to channelsurfing, p2p4u, or atdhe all three .net. You can pretty much watch any live game you like. Infact just last night I was forced to go shopping during the NC game and I was watching it on my phone and it looks really good as well (at least on Droid X's big screen).

DenverBroncosJM
01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
And I guess this is some sort of attraction for people?

Apparently I'm missing out, but I've never thought "man, while I'm having this conversation, I sure would like to be giving my attention to something else."

Can't imagine my girlfriend would like the end result of this. "Are you surfing the web on your phone while you're talking to me? Sounds like you have me on speaker." Guh. No thank you.

While surfing isn't a huge deal breaker for me but there are many calls, conf Calls mostly that I have to take out of the office and will surf the net. I check my email while on the phone A LOT, Can't do that either.

I'm in a contract with AT&T anyway so I can't switch but I wouldn't just based on the web/email portion alone

troya900
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
While surfing isn't a huge deal breaker but there are many calls conf. Calls mostly that I have to take out of the office and will surf the net. I check my email while on the phone A LOT, Can't do that either.

I'm in a contract with AT&T anyway so I can't switch but I wouldn't just based on the web/email portion alone

I'm positive the browsing and talking is just a limitation of CDMA. Once Verizon goes to 4g and the verizon iphone works with 4g I'm pretty sure that won't be a limitation for Verizon customers to worry about anymore.

DenverBroncosJM
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm positive the browsing and talking is just a limitation of CDMA. Once Verizon goes to 4g and the verizon iphone works with 4g I'm pretty sure that won't be a limitation for Verizon customers to worry about anymore.

The problem is that will not happen for another 4 months so if jump on the wagon now your screwed for two years

HAT
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I've been sitting on my VZ upgrade for a few months but will not be using it on an iphone. My Centro is getting long in the tooth but I can limp it until summer if need be.

I'm waiting to see what HPalm announces of February 9th.

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/hp1.png

Hoping for a 4" slab with specs to match the phones that came out of CES. If they underwhelm I'll probably bite the bullet and go Android.....Thunderbolt if I stay with VZ or Atrix if I jump to ATT.

BTW.....VZ just slashed their return policy from 30 days to 14. Bastards.

Play2win
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Had the iPad for a few months, then sold it back on craigslist, because, you know, the whole right click thing.

Call me old fashioned, I need to right click.

Rigs11
01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
The iPhone is sweet. Don't listen to the hatred just because something is popular.It has sweet games, easy to use,great web browser, shetload of apps, amazingly clear screen, great battery life, great camera.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Just to show how good the video cam is on the iphone 4. This is just holding the phone up in the dark, at the Cains Ballroom. No tricks, just the phone... in a loud and dark concert. Make sure to switch to 720p below if it doesn't come up that way.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KL4fA39AvQ8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KL4fA39AvQ8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BroncoDoug
01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I like my EVO 4G, it does everything and more then I could ever ask from a phone

baja
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Ya, I have had one since they came out. My mother just got one. My sister and her family have one.

New one is coming out some time in April last I saw. A few thoughts on it:

1. Yes, it is FKNA cool

2. The battery life is damn impressive

3. No, it doesn't replace my laptop. Though, I know of people who travel just with their iPad and leave the lappy at home. I could see doing that if you spend most of your time of business trips reviewing things and replying to email etc as opposed to creating stuff or doing heavy editing

4. I have the WiFi version. Wish I had the 3G because I travel so much. But if you don't travel for work, WiFi is just fine

5. I prefer the Kindle to the iPad for reading books

6. I prefer the iPad to the Kindle for anything else (obviously)

7. The cameras would be really nice as long as you have a bunch of iOS or OS X users in your friends and family circle because Facetime is pretty cool

8. It smudges... which you only notice when it is off or when you are looking at it at like a 45 degree angle. But head on you don't notice it and if you do, you just wipe it down.

Why do you prefer the Kindle for reading?

HAT
01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Why do you prefer the Kindle for reading?

e-ink

baja
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
e-ink

It is easy on the eyes but I hate the buttons system with that damn toggle switch.

beanerbronco
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Weather ppl like it or not, Verizon is rapidly taking over. They land the iPhone and they just announced a huge lineup of phones at the CES. Also, for those of you who don't want to go with the iPhone, check out the HTC Incredible, this puppy is fast, small, and has an 8 mp camera. I'm very Happy with this device so far