PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams withdraws his name

Jens1893
01-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Per the Saints beat writer on Twitter.

Just learned that DC Gregg Williams will not interview with the Denver Broncos. He plans to withdraw his name as a coaching candidate today.

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp/

schaaf
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Good, he was my least favorite candidate

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
hahahahaha

Chris
01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Well... he **** the bed in his last game. Good riddance.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Oh noez! Nobodyz likz us!

meangene
01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
After that fiasco by his defense this past weekend, the handwriting was on the wall. Interesting that Lombardi reported on NFLN that Mularkey is not the front runner in Cleveland. He may be back in the mix for us after all.

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
After that fiasco by his defense this past weekend, the handwriting was on the wall. Interesting that Lombardi reported on NFLN that Mularkey is not the front runner in Cleveland. He may be back in the mix for us after all.

pat shurmur all but has that job locked up, mularkey is still a candidate and rescheduled his interview with denver.

i am seriously curious if the john elway thing is driving people away.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Nobody knows jackcrap about what's really going on. It's all just rumor and speculation.

rocket88
01-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Candidates that have already been fired once from a Head Coaching job would tend to be more picky on where they go for their second chance.... because they probably won't get a third one.

meangene
01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
pat shurmur all but has that job locked up, mularkey is still a candidate and rescheduled his interview with denver.

I don't think it's Elway - maybe Xanders. But, really, I think we have certain parameters the new coach must work in - i.e. sharing power on personnel that does not appeal to some big names. Also, we are clearly not going to pay big dollars. Harbaugh didn't bother me and neither does Williams (no way he gets hired after that playoff game), but Mularkey concerned me. I still think we are his second choice but I am pleased he is back in consideration. Beyond Harbaugh and Williams, no one has said "no thanks" that I am aware of. At least not those candidates we were considering. I hope we wait for Capers and Mularkey before making a decision.

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't think it's Elway - maybe Xanders. But, really, I think we have certain parameters the new coach must work in - i.e. sharing power on personnel that does not appeal to some big names. Also, we are clearly not going to pay big dollars. Harbaugh didn't bother me and neither does Williams (no way he gets hired after that playoff game), but Mularkey concerned me. I still think we are his second choice but I am pleased he is back in consideration. Beyond Harbaugh and Williams, no one has said "no thanks" that I am aware of. At least not those candidates we were considering. I hope we wait for Capers and Mularkey before making a decision.

im wondering if this happens more often then we think, but it just so happened to be public for the broncos openings

HooptyHoops
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I was intrigued with Williams, but I can't say a lot of DC's would be that excited about Tebow, let alone the talent level of the D....if he was half hearted to begin with, I'm glad he backed out now.

Jens1893

Think Mularkey only has a shot if the Falcons lose this weekend as IŽd expect us to name a new coach by the middle of next week at the latest.

broncofan2438

You really have to wonder if that is the reason. This is really a weird time for Denver. What a mess. Schefter said this morning that he has never seen another team conduct interviews the way that Denver is

Gcver2ver3
01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
i'm not in the know so i hope i'm way off base...

but i don't like how coaches that aren't even B list HC candidates are turning down opportunities to interview for us...

i didnt want gregg williams anyway, he was my least favorite candidate (besides maybe fassell)...and i don't want anyone that doesn't want us...

but man, some of these candidates should be happy to even be given an opportunity to be HC and we're still getting cold shoulders...

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Williams will not interview with the Broncos Wednesday as expected. After discussing the opportunity with family, friends, and Saints players, Williams felt as if he needed to remain in New Orleans with his current team after a tough playoff loss in Seattle, the source said Tuesday.

"He didn't feel like he could stand in front of the defense in a team meeting (Tuesday) morning and tell them the things they need to do to win another Super Bowl, and then board a plane to Denver," according to the source.

per lacanfora

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
im wondering if this happens more often then we think, but it just so happened to be public for the broncos openings

Bingo. We're getting a lot more info on these dealings than the the norm. Finding the right fit for coach and team is a delicate matter. If Williams has doubts about the Broncos' FO situation or anything else, he's wise to just move on (he's got a sweet gig where he's at after all). I really don't think he would be a good fit for what Elway and Co. are looking for anyway.

Jetmeck
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

I think in this case John could be a detriment until the candidates meet with him and understand he has a lot of help around him.

I think we had to put John in the FO to bring the fan base back into the fold and to stop another fiasco like MCDummy from happening again but yes John could be hurting us a little in the hiring process...................

BigPlayShay
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
pat shurmur all but has that job locked up

Like Colquitt style locked up?

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Like Colquitt style locked up?

colquitt does have it locked up. unless...

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:34 AM
per lacanfora

If that's true, that's kind of awesome. Good for him.

Kaylore
Candidates that have already been fired once from a Head Coaching job would tend to be more picky on where they go for their second chance.... because they probably won't get a third one.

Good post, ancient lurker. :)

BroncosMT
so what does this mean??? Fox or Dennison??? truly

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Err...it means they're more likely to get the job...

frerottenextelway
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I got a feeling we'll be naming Fewell HC at least before kickoff on Saturday.

Chris
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I got a feeling we'll be naming Fewell HC at least before kickoff on Saturday.

GOOD.

Turn on the beast mode.

BroncosMT
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Err...it means they're more likely to get the job...

I mean they are the only ones left that even have an inkling of what is going on other IMO.....not who I wanted but we missed the boat on Rivera.

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
We might have a new coach tonight ugh

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I mean they are the only ones left that even have an inkling of what is going on other IMO.....not who I wanted but we missed the boat on Rivera.

Fewell seems like a better candidate than either to me, but to each their own.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
We might have a new coach tonight ugh

Doubt it...

HILife
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Just learned that DC Gregg Williams will not interview with the Denver Broncos. He plans to withdraw his name as a coaching candidate today.

We suck.

Seems like no coach wants to join the Broncos.

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
hahahah, from official saints twitter account:

Official_Saints New Orleans Saints

You guys see that Gregg Williams is trending Worldwide right now? can't imagine why....

HILife
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the mane.....I think.

Drek
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
This Gregg Williams thing sounds to me like someone who knows he has no real shot saving himself and the Broncos some time.

listopencil
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM

EDIT: I wasn't logged in to Twitter so I didn't get the update- I see it now.

frerottenextelway
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
This Gregg Williams thing sounds to me like someone who knows he has no real shot saving himself and the Broncos some time.

That.

worm
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM

It doesn't surprise me at all that this would sound like that to you.

Mile High Shack
01-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I clicked that link and it doesn't say Williams withdrew his name unless I am just missing it. It does say this:

"Payton said Denver officially sought permission to interview Gregg Williams today. about 17 hours ago via TweetDeck "

"# Payton said he doesn't anticipate any changes to his coaching staff, barring someone potentially hiring Gregg Williams away. about 17 hours ago via TweetDeck"

this....there is nothing saying he is withdrawing

listopencil
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
this....there is nothing saying he is withdrawing

Hey- make sure you are logged in.

PRBronco
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
This one actually hurts my feelings/butt a little :(

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
meh....guys is a POS anyway....not disappointed at all.

listopencil
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp/status/24875270053830656

"Williams made the decision today after discussing the situation with family and his players. He is in the process of informing the Broncos."

Steve Sewell
01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I would be stoked about Fewell. The more I see/hear of him, the more I like.

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Gregg Williams figured Denver already knows how to give up 41 pts they don't need his help.

bendog
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
meh....guys is a POS anyway....not disappointed at all.

He is pretty much the best DC in the nfl today. But I didn't like his play calling in Buf. Still, his actions show he isn't a POS type who will sell out his players for his gain

worm
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
He is pretty much the best DC in the nfl today. But I didn't like his play calling in Buf. Still, his actions show he isn't a POS type who will sell out his players for his gain

Finkle is just hurt about Gregg's time in Washington.

bendog
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM

I would like to have had him interview to say what kind of offensive system/coordinator he wanted. He'd have been great in terms of building a defense and fitting players into situations where they could be effective. In a way he'd have fit well, because Tebow really doesn't look like a Brees type where a team can be successful with multiple options on any play and throwing if 45 times. We need a stout defense and a conservative offense that is ground oriented, but one that will always be a threat to go deep, and consistently put the QB in 3-6 at worst, so Tebow is a threat to make a high percentage throw or hoof it for a 7 yd gain.

Bigdawg26
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I say screw this and just get Fewell. I can live with that!

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
I say screw this and just get Fewell. I can live with that!

Seemed like a cool guy

bendog
What in Fewell's background leads you to believe he'd be a better HC?

Ray Finkle

you want a coach that blew off Gibbs, undercut him every chance he could, and kicked your dog?

Homer Simpson
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
It is what it is, only the dregs want to be our coach. What is the reason?

Nostalgic pick or the only coach with a worse record than McDaniels last year?

Woo woo!

rocket88
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/thegarymiller

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
League official confirms Capers not in mix with Broncos.

montrose
01-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Gary Miller just tweeted Fewell is expected to return to NY. Looks like it's down to Studs, Fox, Dennison and Koetter.

Bigdawg26
01-11-2011, 11:19 AM
What the Hell man!!!!!

mikey555
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Nobody knows jackcrap about what's really going on. It's all just rumor and speculation.

Amen brother!!!

http://twitpic.com/3p4tpv

Is it just me or in that pic with Elway and Dennison, doesn't it look like John has cheek implants???:-)

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
poo sticks on Perry....

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Gary Miller just tweeted Fewell is expected to return to NY. Looks like it's down to Studs, Fox, Dennison and Koetter.

Only Fox is worth a damn on that list. We have turned into the Raiders on HC hires.

Bigdawg26
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I wonder what the hell is John doing in the interviews???? Trying to make them blow him!!

worm
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
you want a coach that blew off Gibbs, undercut him every chance he could, and kicked your dog?

Sending 10 men on the field after the Taylor death without discussing it with Gibbs was a non-no. However, overall he was promised a certain level of autonomy from Synder and didn't get it.

His D in Wash at the beginning was awesome. It was Gibbs O that was dragging the team down. Still there were events that could have been better handled by Gregg in a much more political, forthright way.

There is definitely room for debate on Gregg as a viable HC candidate. He has shown many good points...as well as many flaws over the years.

Particularly he has been flawed in areas that are needed for a HC. Like being more of a 'people person'. Being able to work with a group that jointly will be responsible for player personnel. etc.

The question is assessing where he is now as a HC candidate. There is no doubt he can coach up a D.

All of this doesn't matter much now, of course.

bowtown
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
If the news on Fewell really is true, then that gives us a much better chance with Fox. I sort of assumed that in the end, Fox would rather just go back to NY and be their DC. Hope that's a good sign for us.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Sending 10 men on the field after the Taylor death without discussing it with Gibbs was a non-no. However, overall he was promised a certain level of autonomy from Synder and didn't get it.

His D in Wash at the beginning was awesome. It was Gibbs O that was dragging the team down. Still there were events that could have been better handled by Gregg in a much more political, forthright way.

There is definitely room for debate on Gregg as a viable HC candidate. He has shown many good points...as well as many flaws over the years.

Particularly he has been flawed in areas that are needed for a HC. Like being more of a 'people person'. Being able to work with a group that jointly will be responsible for player personnel. etc.

The question is assessing where he is now as a HC candidate. There is no doubt he can coach up a D.

All of this doesn't matter much now, of course.

that was just the tip of the iceberg. If this team wanted to move away from McD demeanor/personality, why would they hire his defensive equivalent?

bendog
01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I wonder what the hell is John doing in the interviews???? Trying to make them blow him!!

We need to move fast and get someone "hot" like Josh.

baja
01-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Every time I see your avatar I think why is John sticking a shiv in Bowlen's gut then I wonder if that is one of those unintended prophetic photos.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=1202&dateline=1294369721

baja
01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Rick doesn't exude a ton of confidence in this the one photo

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/223614067.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1294771477&Signature=wjWFAKS0XGieF7Vf%2FvwLOh3M6oY%3D

baja
01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
As this process goes forward I am growing more impressed with Elway the VP. It's just a bunch of little things adding up positively.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Oh good, Gary Miller reported it. Hopefully, the Bleacher Report will confirm.

Don't want Williams anyway. He's got man boobs.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM

****in' **** and ****.

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM

If it's true about Fewell staying at NY and we are left with those 4 canidates....wow! Which leads me to believe Dennison will be our next HC. :cuss:

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
As this process goes forward I am growing more impressed with Elway the VP. It's just a bunch of little things adding up positively.

really? I am turning the other way. I understand the dog and pony show but it's creating reality TV nausea at this point .

Elway tweets "7 AM had a donut", "7:15 had coffee"

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Can we please get Morninwheg on this ****ing list? Please?

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
just please say no to Koetter! As much as i respect JE.....this is turning into a cluster****!

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 11:46 AM

was a morty fan until the Eagles game this weekend....yuck.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 11:46 AM

he compiled a 5-27 record in Detroit Ha!

....maybe he'll be interested in another coordinator job

JoRo
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Was that sarcasm?

Not a big deal on Williams to me, but the Fewell thing is kind of a bummer. I liked him much better than Studes or Kooter

Likwid Kerruj
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
That didn't take long.

The best head coaching vacancy to the one of the worst head coaching vacancies in 2 years flat.

Even Gregg Williams who got schooled in his most recent game by 95 year old Matt Hasselbeck declined the job.

Go **** yourself, McDaniels.

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/01/fewell-takes-a-step-closer-to-a-return

baja
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
really? I am turning the other way. I understand the dog and pony show but it's creating reality TV nausea at this point .

Elway tweets "7 AM had a donut", "7:15 had coffee"

Surely this is a PR idea and not necessary a brain storm of John's and surely he has some assistant making the pre approved tweets.

The things I am referring to as impressive are the content of his presser, his hiring of the head hunters group his several references to knowing what he doesn't know and hiring to that need. His directness and decisiveness concerning what his job is to be and how he plans to carry that out. Love the two key words; Transparency and consensus. Also loved the matter of fact and public way he let Xanders know who is the boss (there will be no place for Brian to hide now). I have a feeling it was in the moment that the now famous photograph of Xanders was snapped. ;D

loborugger
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
That didn't take long.

The best head coaching vacancy to the one of the worst head coaching vacancies in 2 years flat.

Even Gregg Williams who got schooled in his most recent game by 95 year old Matt Hasselbeck declined the job.

Go **** yourself, McDaniels.

I love this place.

That One Guy
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Why would anyone want to be a coach here? The roster is shallow, Elway is perched to take credit and shift blame, and you could very potentially be starring in the next office space complaining about 8 bosses and TPS reports.

There's nothing that the Denver position offers other than the title HC. Other positions are still out there, why jump into desperation mode too early??

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Why would anyone want to be a coach here?
You're right! No one will come! We'll be without a coach forever!! OH WHY!!?!?!?!?! WHY!?!?!?!?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Why would anyone want to be a coach here? The roster is shallow, Elway is perched to take credit and shift blame, and you could very potentially be starring in the next office space complaining about 8 bosses and TPS reports.

There's nothing that the Denver position offers other than the title HC. Other positions are still out there, why jump into desperation mode too early??

Because as the head coach, if you believe in the product YOU can put on the field, you have the opportunity to be celebrated in this community as one of the key people involved with reinventing the franchise. The Broncos were in nowhere near as bad of shape before Shanahan came in, and look how he's celebrated in this town.

Fact is, there's an owner and a VP of Football Ops that are both willing to do whatever it takes to field a winner. Why WOULDN'T you want to be a part of that organization?

bendog
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
You're right! No one will come! We'll be without a coach forever!! OH WHY!!?!?!?!?! WHY!?!?!?!?

Dan Haskins. (-:

footstepsfrom#27
01-11-2011, 01:21 PM
At least not those candidates we were considering. I hope we wait for Capers and Mularkey before making a decision.
Aren't you forgetting something?

That One Guy
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Because as the head coach, if you believe in the product YOU can put on the field, you have the opportunity to be celebrated in this community as one of the key people involved with reinventing the franchise. The Broncos were in nowhere near as bad of shape before Shanahan came in, and look how he's celebrated in this town.

Fact is, there's an owner and a VP of Football Ops that are both willing to do whatever it takes to field a winner. Why WOULDN'T you want to be a part of that organization?

But that still leaves you 3rd in line in decision making, first one out the door if the venture doesn't work.

And yeah, you can get part of the credit for turning it around but Elway is the face of the turn-around. If it succeeds, he did it by building a superior team. If it fails, you get fired. Who wouldn't want in on that?

JoRo
01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
But that still leaves you 3rd in line in decision making, first one out the door if the venture doesn't work.

And yeah, you can get part of the credit for turning it around but Elway is the face of the turn-around. If it succeeds, he did it by building a superior team. If it fails, you get fired. Who wouldn't want in on that?

I'll let ya know in about a week

meangene
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Aren't you forgetting something?

What's that?

ghwk
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
THe Saints probably like theis guy and gave heim a decent bump to stay. DOn't forget moving is also a pain in the butt where the family is involved and Denver isn't the great opportunity that it used to be.

cutthemdown
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Broncos are a mess. Elway can't even get top coaching candidates to interview because they know the whole set up is a joke.

It's going to be hard to be a Broncos fan for a long long time.

cutthemdown
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
THe Saints probably like theis guy and gave heim a decent bump to stay. DOn't forget moving is also a pain in the butt where the family is involved and Denver isn't the great opportunity that it used to be.

To pass up head coaching chances is unheard of for coaches that aren't super hot commodities. Broncos can't even get the marginal candidates to interview.

Spin away but these aren't good signs.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:11 PM

That's... pretty much how every head coaching job works. It's been this way for years.

If it succeeds, he gets all the credit? First, who gives a ****. A turnaround is a turnaround, and if all you're worried about is your own job security, you'll get it with a turnaround, regardless of who "gets the credit." And second, someone still has to coach the team. If Elway puts together a great roster and you go 6-10 for three straight years, you're going to be out of a job. If you go 10-6, you're probably safe.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think any of these coaches are himming and hawing about having Elway run the ship... unless they think that Elway can't do it, which is another beast entirely.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Perhaps Williams realizes that he's a better DC than he is a head coach. Something Dick LeBeau learned a long, long time ago.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Good, didn't want him anyways.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
To pass up head coaching chances is unheard of for coaches that aren't super hot commodities. Broncos can't even get the marginal candidates to interview.

Spin away but these aren't good signs.

The only one who's spinning is you. That's not what's going on here.

24champ
01-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Good, didn't want him anyways.

Yep, don't want a coach who was in charge of a defense that just got assraped by a 7-9 Seahawks team.

meangene
01-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Yep, don't want a coach who was in charge of a defense that just got assraped by a 7-9 Seahawks team.

I really think is what is behind his "withdrawing".

orinjkrush
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
tackling the Broncos is a very risky endeavor. or is it?
lots of problems.
only way to go is up.
some candidate will have the gumption to try.

cutthemdown
01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
The only one who's spinning is you. That's not what's going on here.

Really? ok you tell me then what is going on? When you keep the GM as Xanders that tells me Elway already blowing it. What has Xanders done to warrant that job?

PRBronco
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Perhaps Williams realizes that he's a better DC than he is a head coach. Something Dick LeBeau learned a long, long time ago.

Speaking of better DC than head coach, is that why Rob Ryan's name isn't coming up anywhere? Is he even vying for an HC spot anywhere?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Speaking of better DC than head coach, is that why Rob Ryan's name isn't coming up anywhere? Is he even vying for an HC spot anywhere?

I would guess people are a little gunshy with Rob. He's a good DC, but has bounced around a lot... and not just when he's walking.

I thought I heard that he interviewed somewhere, but I can't recall where that was.

bombay
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Dan Haskins. (-:

Don Haskins?

Dan Hawkins?

Rohirrim
01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Dan Haskins. (-:

Hit the still, had my fill, now I'm fit to kill...

That One Guy
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
That's... pretty much how every head coaching job works. It's been this way for years.

If it succeeds, he gets all the credit? First, who gives a ****. A turnaround is a turnaround, and if all you're worried about is your own job security, you'll get it with a turnaround, regardless of who "gets the credit." And second, someone still has to coach the team. If Elway puts together a great roster and you go 6-10 for three straight years, you're going to be out of a job. If you go 10-6, you're probably safe.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think any of these coaches are himming and hawing about having Elway run the ship... unless they think that Elway can't do it, which is another beast entirely.

A case of talking without making my point clear to those outside my head.

Yes, this is the bigger issue. If we were looking at, say, one of the Balt or NE front office folks taking this approach then I think it could be a different scenario. All the risks and whatnot weighed in conjunction with the unknown that Elway is just makes the scenario too jumbled. Imagine waiting in line this long for an HC opportunity and for it to burn at the feet of Elway trying to figure out running a team without wearing a helmet. It's not unreasonable to think the team could have an equally bad record for years to come if this Elway thing doesn't work out. Bowlen took a risk to re-Bronco-fy the team and get some fans but he's taking a huge risk that Elway can set things straight. All that would be part of a coach's legacy if it comes to fruition.

Hulamau
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Amen brother!!!

http://twitpic.com/3p4tpv

Is it just me or in that pic with Elway and Dennison, doesn't it look like John has cheek implants???:-)

Its just you ... Time to get a life! ;)

Broncos_OTM
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Atleast i will have low expectations for thw new Hc. I am underwhelmed with the canidates. So if they do good it will be a pleasant surprise

gunns
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM

I think I just threw up a little. Fox I would feel much like when we hired McD, not happy but I'll wait and see. Dennison will make me meltdown, major. I think the thing that makes me the saddest is that we have to "settle", not go out and get the best available. But who knows, hopefully I'll be surprised by the magnificient defensive coordinator we get.

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Really? ok you tell me then what is going on? When you keep the GM as Xanders that tells me Elway already blowing it. What has Xanders done to warrant that job?

do some research, ive posted his entire body of work here multiple times. if you quit your close minded hatred and realized that he has 17 years in the NFL, most of it doing personnel and scouting, youd understand hes earned a shot.

not that facts matter here.

zdoor
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
After giving up 40+ to the Hawks the only thing that shocks me is that HE withdrew.

bombay
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Fox is probably the least repugnant choice of this 5.

That's assuming Fewell is out.

TonyR
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
...Elway is perched to take credit and shift blame...

I know we're largerly in the minority on this but I agree completely. I've been saying this for a couple of weeks. Elway in such a visible role is potentially a huge problem for this organization. It's so obvious and yet for some reason most people don't want to entertain the thought.

Hogan11
01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
No big deal, let him try to redeem his HC resume with someone else, because I doubt he can do it anywhere.

cutthemdown
01-11-2011, 08:45 PM
do some research, ive posted his entire body of work here multiple times. if you quit your close minded hatred and realized that he has 17 years in the NFL, most of it doing personnel and scouting, youd understand hes earned a shot.

not that facts matter here.

I hope your right because he has more value in this draft then Broncos have ever had. This is the highest pick for then ever I believe. We can't afford for Xanders to screw it up.

mikey555
01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Its just you ... Time to get a life! ;)

YAY!!!!:clown:

TonyR
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM

I think Carolina talked to him.

bowtown
01-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Holy crap, I wish we had brought him in just for the interview video. I bet it would have looked something like this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUVjhaGzlNA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUVjhaGzlNA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dedhed
01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I wasn't interested in Williams.

baja
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Holy crap, I wish we had brought him in just for the interview video. I bet it would have looked something like this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUVjhaGzlNA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUVjhaGzlNA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Too funny. LOL

TonyR
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I bet it would have looked something like this:

I thought I'd seen every episode but don't recall this. Is this an "extra"?

bowtown
01-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I thought I'd seen every episode but don't recall this. Is this an "extra"?

I think it was just a viral promo piece for the second season.

tsiguy96
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I hope your right because he has more value in this draft then Broncos have ever had. This is the highest pick for then ever I believe. We can't afford for Xanders to screw it up.

im right that he has a ton of experience where its needed most. well see if he makes it worth it, thats impossible to predict.

ZONA
01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm not impressed with the names we are left to pick from. I'd rather keep Studs for another year and then see who becomes available then. This mess isn't going to be turned around in a year anyway.

2KBack
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not impressed with the names we are left to pick from. I'd rather keep Studs for another year and then see who becomes available then. This mess isn't going to be turned around in a year anyway.

Sooooo....you want to put off trying to fix it for a year?

cutthemdown
01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
im right that he has a ton of experience where its needed most. well see if he makes it worth it, thats impossible to predict.

he was a player personel assistant in Atl. That was his title. We are talking about if he is one of the 32 smartest at that in the NFL. How many people do you think you could find with 15 yrs as a player personel asst in the NFL? I'd say way more then 32.

I don't see anything in his resume that warrants him being the one to pull the Broncos from having no talent to being winners again.

I think you are sort of a homer and will always just see what you want to.

cutthemdown
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
No one was in here arguing to keep Xanders. Everyone figured McDaniels and Xanders would be gone. It'g gotta be because of the labor unrest. Otherwise I think Elway would fire him as well. In fact I think Elway will fire him at the end of next yr and assume the title GM.

cutthemdown
01-12-2011, 12:09 PM

I agree. No one on that list is sexy, we have a lockout looming, might as well go with the coach who knows the roster the best.

tsiguy96
No one was in here arguing to keep Xanders. Everyone figured McDaniels and Xanders would be gone. It'g gotta be because of the labor unrest. Otherwise I think Elway would fire him as well. In fact I think Elway will fire him at the end of next yr and assume the title GM.

except, some who knew his background and history with atlanta knew that he atleast deserved a shot, instead of dumping the entire staff.

SoCalBronco

Wow...that would be even worse, which I didnt think was physically possible.

tsiguy96
he was a player personel assistant in Atl. That was his title. We are talking about if he is one of the 32 smartest at that in the NFL. How many people do you think you could find with 15 yrs as a player personel asst in the NFL? I'd say way more then 32.

I don't see anything in his resume that warrants him being the one to pull the Broncos from having no talent to being winners again.

I think you are sort of a homer and will always just see what you want to.

instead of making **** up, go READ his background. ive posted it on here MANY times, yet you still stick to ignoring facts and seeing how you wnat to see it, it is just incredible, yet completely pathetic.

bendog
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Elway's not gonna throw anyone under a bus unless they aren't getting the job done. He's got the title and the authority and only answers to Ellis on a day to day basis, and Ellis is looking after Bowlen's bank account more than he's checking on day to day operations. Xanders is a first rate contract/cap guy, and Elway would have no clue how to do that, and even after he figures out how to manipulate cap, it's not something he'd want to personally do. Xanders has a decent resume to be given a shot at the job, and Elway flat out said that draft decisions will be made by the coach, xanders and himslef. I don't think xanders has much actual scouting experience, but what's important is understanding your own teams scouting reports, and those are dependent upon what scheme a team runs and what characteristics in players they rate higher than others.

That One Guy
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Elway's not gonna throw anyone under a bus unless they aren't getting the job done. He's got the title and the authority and only answers to Ellis on a day to day basis, and Ellis is looking after Bowlen's bank account more than he's checking on day to day operations. Xanders is a first rate contract/cap guy, and Elway would have no clue how to do that, and even after he figures out how to manipulate cap, it's not something he'd want to personally do. Xanders has a decent resume to be given a shot at the job, and Elway flat out said that draft decisions will be made by the coach, xanders and himslef. I don't think xanders has much actual scouting experience, but what's important is understanding your own teams scouting reports, and those are dependent upon what scheme a team runs and what characteristics in players they rate higher than others.

If it fails, Elway will give the same answer they all do. It is Elway's fault for picking the wrong man. Taking blame while shifting blame. Do you really think the line would be, "We had the right man but I probably got in his way too much. I didn't know what I was doing, asserted myself to do what I could, but man was I wrong on the things I personally decided."? I doubt it. At best, they go down together. At worst, the HC goes down and Elway claims to "Take the blame" for picking the wrong person.

Circle Orange
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
He hasn't time for interviews. He's hitting the New Orleans buffet circuit. ROFL!