PDA

View Full Version : Qwest Field

Beantown Bronco
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Who says all new NFL stadiums have to be whisper quiet compared to the ones they replaced? Apparently, their engineers/contractors knew what they were doing:

You've heard of the 12th Man, right? Those legendary over-caffeinated Seattle Seahawks fans who make Qwest Field one of the most difficult locations for any NFL visiting team? With the noise created from almost 70,000 crazy fans, this bunch has helped offenses facing Seattle at home to more false starts than in any other stadium in the last five years.

[article continued at link]

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Seahawks-fans-cause-seismic-shock-in-playoff-win?urn=nfl-305600

Chris
01-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeap. They blew it at invesco.

Bronco Boy
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
The irony is, outside of those 70,000 fans no one in Seattle really cares about football.

Beantown Bronco
01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
The irony is, outside of those 70,000 fans no one in Seattle really cares about football.

Tough call there. They really seem to be just overall great, underrated, sports fans in general. They seem to love their college football and are head and shoulders the #1 most rabid MLS fanbase in the country too.

Bronco Boy
01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Tough call there. They really seem to be just overall great, underrated, sports fans in general. They seem to love their college football and are head and shoulders the #1 most rabid MLS fanbase in the country too.

Definitely true about the MLS, people love that stuff here.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I like how Qwest Field is built. Every fan close to the action and therefore the noise they make is closer to the field.

If you look at aerial pictures of Invesco next to the old Mile High, the old Mile High could easily fit inside Invesco, but the capacity was the same.

That means the fans in the upper decks at Invesco are a lot farther from the field, therefore the noise they make doesn't get to the field the same.

I suspect Qwest Field could also easily fit inside Invesco.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I like how Qwest Field is built. Every fan close to the action and therefore the noise they make is closer to the field.

If you look at aerial pictures of Invesco next to the old Mile High, the old Mile High could easily fit inside Invesco, but the capacity was the same.

That means the fans in the upper decks at Invesco are a lot farther from the field, therefore the noise they make doesn't get to the field the same.

I suspect Qwest Field could also easily fit inside Invesco.

actually, more fans are closer to the field in the upper decks then they were at the old mile high. That's why the seating is so steep up there.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM

This. They're also very intelligent fans, which is a nice change of pace from most fanbases.

The only thing that's annoying with Seahawks fans is there continued complaining about the Super Bowl XL loss to Pittsburgh. They're STILL bellyaching about the refs in that game.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 10:09 AM

But they've had some good football teams over the years. Only been in the League 35 years. Compare them to some other teams in the NFL that have been around a lot longer:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
actually, more fans are closer to the field in the upper decks then they were at the old mile high. That's why the seating is so steep up there.

Huh? I can see from the aerial pictures that the old Mile High was a more compact stadium than Invesco. I had the pic saved, but it's gone now.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Huh? I can see from the aerial pictures that the old Mile High was a more compact stadium than Invesco. I had the pic saved, but it's gone now.

yes it had a smaller footprint, but the seats in relation to the field boundaries are closer at Invesco then they were at Mile High. Fans were given more room side to side, but not necessarily front to back.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
What is Qwest field built with? Invesco is quieter for the simple fact that it's all concrete versus the steel of Mile High. It absorbs sound. Mile High amplified it.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
What is Qwest field built with? Invesco is quieter for the simple fact that it's all concrete versus the steel of Mile High. It absorbs sound. Mile High amplified it.

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. They used mostly steel in constructing Invesco in the hopes that it would produce the same quality. Have you ever been to a game?

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. They used mostly steel in constructing Invesco in the hopes that it would produce the same quality. Have you ever been to a game?

Yes I have. Invesco has massive quantities of concrete compared to Mile High.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
IMO, winning super bowls quieted the crowds in Denver

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes I have. Invesco has massive quantities of concrete compared to Mile High.
Look who's changing their point! It might have "more concrete" than Mile High, but you didn't say that in your first post. You said it was "all concrete" and Mile high was "mostly steel." That's completely false. The majority of Invesco is stainless steel. Schuff Steel Company, who specializes in steel construction, were sub-contracted to built the thing. It's a steel structure.

The reason it's not as loud isn't the materials, it's because Mile High was an upgraded Bears stadium. It had sections added on the cheap multiple times, piece-mail, which produced a rickety structure that often swayed and vibrated reverberating the sound.

Invesco was built complete in one piece and so is more solid of a structure. It's still a loud stadium as we have set loudness records there. The problem is the team hasn't been good for a long time so lots of fans sell their tickets to opposing teams knowing we're going to lose, and when they do go there isn't much to cheer about.

TailgateNut
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Look who's changing their point! It might have "more concrete" than Mile High, but you didn't say that in your first post. You said it was "all concrete" and Mile high was "mostly steel." That's completely false. The majority of Invesco is stainless steel. Schuff Steel Company, who specializes in steel construction, were sub-contracted to built the thing. It's a steel structure.

The reason it's not as loud isn't the materials, it's because Mile High was an upgraded Bears stadium. It had sections added on the cheap multiple times, piece-mail, which produced a rickety structure that often swayed and vibrated reverberating the sound.

Invesco was built complete in one piece and so is more solid of a structure. It's still a loud stadium as we have set loudness records there. The problem is the team hasn't been good for a long time so lots of fans sell their tickets to opposing teams knowing we're going to lose, and when they do go there isn't much to cheer about.

Damn Skippy. If it were Stainless Steel (304 or 316) the pricetag for the structure would have been tripled or quadrupled.

Most of it is primed carbon steel or galvanized steel.

....and the reason Old Mile High was loud was because the fans were one entity, not like the half ass BS fairweather asswipes which have invaded Incestco!

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Sorry. I guess I misspoke. I wasn't saying there was no steel in Invesco (I don't think that's possible with such a massive structure). It just appears to be primarily built with concrete (I'm sure there's many steel girders inside the concrete). Mile High on the other hand had A LOT of exposed steel. The fact that it was old and built piecemeal as you say is probably a factor too. And a lack of the same fan fervor.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Damn Skippy. If it were Stainless Steel (304 or 316) the pricetag for the structure would have been tripled or quadrupled.

Most of it is primed carbon steel or galvanized steel.

....and the reason Old Mile High was loud was because the fans were one entity, not like the half ass BS fairweather asswipes which have invaded Incestco!

Yeah I misspoke too. It is not stainless steel, obviously.

And that was my point: The loudness has more to do with the fans than the structure itself. I've been in Invesco several times and it can be really loud and really lame.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Who says all new NFL stadiums have to be whisper quiet compared to the ones they replaced? Apparently, their engineers/contractors knew what they were doing:

You've heard of the 12th Man, right? Those legendary over-caffeinated Seattle Seahawks fans who make Qwest Field one of the most difficult locations for any NFL visiting team? With the noise created from almost 70,000 crazy fans, this bunch has helped offenses facing Seattle at home to more false starts than in any other stadium in the last five years.

[article continued at link]

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Seahawks-fans-cause-seismic-shock-in-playoff-win?urn=nfl-305600

This is the one stadium I really, really like. Very much has a college feel to it. I wish Bowlen would have used this design for the new stadium in Denver. Supposedly, Invesco Field was designed with noise in mind, that is, it's a stadium that is supposed to be loud.

TailgateNut
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
This is the one stadium I really, really like. Very much has a college feel to it. I wish Bowlen would have used this design for the new stadium in Denver. Supposedly, Invesco Field was designed with noise in mind, that is, it's a stadium that is supposed to be loud.

Too bad he took the "noise" out of the fans with his "relocation process", and a ****tier product on the field (not that the latter ever mattered at old Mile High)

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
yes it had a smaller footprint, but the seats in relation to the field boundaries are closer at Invesco then they were at Mile High. Fans were given more room side to side, but not necessarily front to back.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it. The bottom line is the old Mile High "had a smaller footprint". All you have to do is look at the aerial picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scnightrod/317635122/

Rohirrim
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Of all the new stadiums I've seen, I like Seattle's the best. I still consider Invesco a soulless bowl of aluminum.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it. The bottom line is the old Mile High "had a smaller footprint". All you have to do is look at the aerial picture.

http://geoeyemediaportal.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/images/gallery/manmade/sports_venues/hires/denver_stadiums.jpg

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 01:06 PM
this photo may illustrate what I'm talking about....do you notice how far the 2nd and 3rd decks are away from the field?

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/DenverBroncos/aerial.jpg

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/592/688/Invesco_field_2530Resized_display_image.jpg?129340 0082

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 01:09 PM

http://www.philcherner.com/images/mile%20hi%20neg%2014.jpg

Look again. The gaps between the field and the seats is larger at Mile High.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
http://geoeyemediaportal.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/images/gallery/manmade/sports_venues/hires/denver_stadiums.jpg

Nice view. I stand corrected somewhat. But the old Mile High could still fit inside Invesco. Why? because the seats are still farther away from the field. Invesco is more spread out in terms of depth from the field as well as length from the field.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
this photo may illustrate what I'm talking about....do you notice how far the 2nd and 3rd decks are away from the field?

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/DenverBroncos/aerial.jpg

Well, look, you have this squarish stadium with the old Mile High, something that keeps the sound in, vs. this thing with Invesco, something that allows the sound out. Sound travels uphill. You square a stadium, you don't let sound escape to the outside at all four corners like Invesco. You capture sound, you don't let it roll off the sides to escape like they did with Invesco.

I just don't see Invesco as a stadium that captures sound. I see it as they maximized viewing area.