PDA

View Full Version : Quality DL draft

Mediator12
01-11-2011, 09:09 AM
This is the deepest overall draft for DL in a decade. If Fairley declares, this will also be one of the most Elite DL draft in a decade. The second round will have players who would go in the middle of round one most years. The sheer number of talented DL will allow DEN to get 2-3 DL who have the ability to start in the near future or play in rotation right away.

This is the year to have multiple picks in the top 3 rounds. Some amazingly talented DL coming out already.

Oh and BTW, anyone know where Walter Thomas can be found? You know the biggest physical Freak I have ever seen. 6'5, 374 can do backflips, but has zero stamina. This would be the year to see if he is ready for a comeback try ROFL!

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 09:15 AM
This is the deepest overall draft for DL in a decade. If Fairley declares, this will also be one of the most Elite DL draft in a decade. The second round will have players who would go in the middle of round one most years. The sheer number of talented DL will allow DEN to get 2-3 DL who have the ability to start in the near future or play in rotation right away.

This is the year to have multiple picks in the top 3 rounds. Some amazingly talented DL coming out already.

Oh and BTW, anyone know where Walter Thomas can be found? You know the biggest physical Freak I have ever seen. 6'5, 374 can do backflips, but has zero stamina. This would be the year to see if he is ready for a comeback try ROFL!

so let's say Denver keeps all their current picks.
1st
2nd
2nd
3rd

you think they can come out of the first three rounds with 2-3 impact front 7? DL, DL, ILB?

PRBronco
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Finally something to look forward to! Thanks Med.

Lol Walter Thomas. Probably working as a bouncer. He didn't strike me as a high potential individual.

Drek
01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Ideal world (if we stay in a 3-4) we trade back and grab Dareus adding a 2nd round pick this year and next. Then trade Orton for a 2nd.

Use the 4 2nd round picks to make sure we get Paea and Watt when they slide to the early 2nd, then trade the other two back, one for a 3rd and a 2012 2nd, another for a 4th/5th and a 2012 1st.

Use the rest of the draft for BPA, including more DLs, and look forward to having four picks in the first two rounds next year as well.

OrangeSe7en
01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Ideal world (if we stay in a 3-4) we trade back and grab Dareus adding a 2nd round pick this year and next. Then trade Orton for a 2nd.

Use the 4 2nd round picks to make sure we get Paea and Watt when they slide to the early 2nd, then trade the other two back, one for a 3rd and a 2012 2nd, another for a 4th/5th and a 2012 1st.

Use the rest of the draft for BPA, including more DLs, and look forward to having four picks in the first two rounds next year as well.

What makes you assume we'll be staying in a 3-4? Of all the candidates theyre bringing in, how many are actually coming from 3-4 teams? I actually see Dennison bringing the most flexibility in that regard since he played in the 3-4 under Collier but even he has coached a 4-3 team his entire coaching career.

Fewell, Williams, Fox...all 4-3 guys.

Mediator12
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
What makes you assume we'll be staying in a 3-4? Of all the candidates theyre bringing in, how many are actually coming from 3-4 teams? I actually see Dennison bringing the most flexibility in that regard since he played in the 3-4 under Collier but even he has coached a 4-3 team his entire coaching career.

HC does not need to be the determining factor in the Defensive scheme. Best case in point, Mike Tomlin going to PIT. Guy had played and coached in the 4-3 T2 scheme his whole life, but PIT had 3-4 personnel. Everyone thought they would transition to the 4-3, well Tomlin realized how special this team was defensively with the Lebeau version of the 3-4 and opted out of playing the scheme he was most comfortable.

Get the right head coach, then get the right DC for the personnel In DEN and stick to it! One should not determine the other, as they are completely different skill sets!

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM
HC does not need to be the determining factor in the Defensive scheme. Best case in point, Mike Tomlin going to PIT. Guy had played and coached in the 4-3 T2 scheme his whole life, but PIT had 3-4 personnel. Everyone thought they would transition to the 4-3, well Tomlin realized how special this team was defensively with the Lebeau version of the 3-4 and opted out of playing the scheme he was most comfortable.

Get the right head coach, then get the right DC for the personnel In DEN and stick to it! One should not determine the other, as they are completely different skill sets!

If you had your wish Med, who would be the new DC?

Drek
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM

You've got to be borderline illiterate.

"Ideal world (if we stay in a 3-4)"

Mediator12
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
If you had your wish Med, who would be the new DC?

Completely depends on who is available. Not sure what coaches are looking to move right now, and who can be lured away from teams.

Couple of guys I would like are Chuck Pagano and Dean Peas of BAL. Chuck is a Boulder guy so I think he would be open to coming home. Peas was a patriots DC under the Evil Belichick ROFL!

Those are just a couple guys who could be excellent options and run any system. Both were also up for the BAL DC job that Mattison got after Sexy Rexy left for the Jets.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Completely depends on who is available. Not sure what coaches are looking to move right now, and who can be lured away from teams.

Couple of guys I would like are Chuck Pagano and Dean Peas of BAL. Chuck is a Boulder guy so I think he would be open to coming home. Peas was a patriots DC under the Evil Belichick ROFL!

Those are just a couple guys who could be excellent options and run any system. Both were also up for the BAL DC job that Mattison got after Sexy Rexy left for the Jets.

Peas was the guy that McD tried to get last offseason, right? I just want someone that will put together a sound system and allow the players to learn it.

Drek
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM

I'd be up for either one of them. Pees would be my preference though. He's been both a secondary and a LB positional coach, been a DC at multiple stops, was a collegiate HC for several years, etc.. Really solid resume.

Med, did you have any idea just how much of a power player Bob LaMonte is in the NFL up until the last year or two? I'd never even heard of this guy but apparently he put together a large portion of our coaching staff and is the Scott Boras equivalent for NFL FO personnel and coaches.

Surreal how power brokers like this are pulling the strings behind the scenes.

OrangeSe7en
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM
You've got to be borderline illiterate.

"Ideal world (if we stay in a 3-4)"

Maybe you should get off your unicorn and talk in real world terms.

Drek
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe you should get off your unicorn and talk in real world terms.

Its a football discussion board champ. All we can talk about at this point of the season are theoreticals.

Mediator12
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd be up for either one of them. Pees would be my preference though. He's been both a secondary and a LB positional coach, been a DC at multiple stops, was a collegiate HC for several years, etc.. Really solid resume.

Med, did you have any idea just how much of a power player Bob LaMonte is in the NFL up until the last year or two? I'd never even heard of this guy but apparently he put together a large portion of our coaching staff and is the Scott Boras equivalent for NFL FO personnel and coaches.
Surreal how power brokers like this are pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Yes, Read his book with Mike Holgren 3-4 years ago. Interesting guy, and a top Coaching agent. Trying to find what I did with that one right now. Here it is: Winning the NFL way. Read that and the Patriots books on NFL management in 2006-7 I think.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, Read his book with Mike Holgren 3-4 years ago. Interesting guy, and a top Coaching agent. Trying to find what I did with that one right now. Here it is: Winning the NFL way. Read that and the Patriots books on NFL management in 2006-7 I think.

Patriot Reign?

ayjackson
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't think we'll be getting a pick for Orton this year because players can't be dealt before a CBA is signed. Not many think that'll happen before the draft.

If we can trade back and get Dareus and a second. We'd probably be looking at Powe in the second at NT? Either that or we keep Jamal another year and draft a developmental nose like Taylor.

I'd be pretty happy if we got Dareus, Watt, Powe and a corner with our top four picks under this trade back scenario. If Dareus was gone, I'd favour another trade back or the selection of Prince.

So many possibilities.

worm
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
IMO, Dallas is the perfect trading partner.

The trade doesn't drop us down too far in the 1st. Dallas has the ammo and history to pull the trigger on this type of trade. They would lust for Patrick Peterson and he really wants to be a Cowboy.

With a rookie cap, I could see the trade price go way up in favor of the Broncs...as more teams would be willing to move up if they didn't have to pay an exorbitant rookie salary associated with the top picks. I think the old draft value chart will be less and less relevant.

Mediator12
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Patriot Reign?

No, Management Secrets of the NE Pats Vol 1. Not recommended, its poorly written. It does however reveal some good FO stuff that leaked even from belichick. I got it used for $4 so it was not a total loss LOL

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
No, Management Secrets of the NE Pats Vol 1. Not recommended, its poorly written. It does however reveal some good FO stuff that leaked even from belichick. I got it used for $4 so it was not a total loss LOL

ah....I'll have to see if I can get it cheap. Patriot Reign is worth a read.

mattob14
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM

I'd love that scenario, but I just don't see Watt sliding into round 2. I think he'll test better than people expect and end up rising before the draft, ultimately ending up in the middle of round 1.

The Joker
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Med, would you prefer to see us run a 4-3 or 3-4 if given the choice?

Really good for us that the draft is looking so deep in a position of such need for us, these juniors declaring has been a massive boost.

I agree with the poster above that Watt will go higher than a lot of people are pegging him for right now. The guys numbers this year are very, very impressive and he's looked like an absolute beast whenever I've seen him play. If we trade down to somewhere around the #10 spot I'd be thrilled with him being the pick.

ayjackson
01-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm liking what I read about Wilkerson, Guy and Jenkins. They can be had with our day 2 picks. Powe and Taylor are possible developmental nose tackles for mid round 2 and later.

The more I read about these guys, the more I want to trade down at least once and add picks.

Mediator12
01-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Corey Liuget is coming out from Illinois. The sheer number of first round graded DL in this draft is amazing. Right now, there are 14 and Fairley would be 15. Deepest DL draft I have ever seen and that does not include some of the 3-4 OLB coming out.

oubronco
01-12-2011, 11:00 AM
We should be able to come out of the draft with two quality starters on the d-line if the front office doesn't screw it up

I'm so happy

Rohirrim
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Corey Liuget is coming out from Illinois. The sheer number of first round graded DL in this draft is amazing. Right now, there are 14 and Fairley would be 15. Deepest DL draft I have ever seen and that does not include some of the 3-4 OLB coming out.

But how many are legitimate NTs?

NFLBRONCO
01-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Sam Pagano's kid that would be neat. Nice family

Mediator12
01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
But how many are legitimate NTs?

Only 3-4. However, only Paea grades out as a first with Phil Taylor and Powe as possible seconds. There are 2 more guys in Kenrick Ellis and Jarvis Jenkins who could be had in the third as well.

ayjackson
01-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Only 3-4. However, only Paea grades out as a first with Phil Taylor and Powe as possible seconds. There are 2 more guys in Kenrick Ellis and Jarvis Jenkins who could be had in the third as well.

Jenkins looks like a solid 3-4 End prospect to me. Third rounder perhaps.

If we could trade back (adding a second) a tad in the first and take Prince. We could add Wilkerson, Powe and a safety in the second and Jenkins in the third. That would have the potential to be an extremely stout two-gapping d-line in a year or two. We`d have to look for a dominant WILL in next years draft though, and try to squeeze another year out of DJ in 2011.

3 DLs and 2 DBs in the first 50 selections. :yayaya:

Rascal
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
It's amazing the defensive line talent this year. Consider Marvin Austin, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward...most drafts round 1 easily. This year they are possible steals late 1st/early 2nd.

Traveler
01-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Cameron Heyward-DL-Player Jan. 21 - 1:30 pm et

Ohio State DL Cameron Heyward reportedly had elbow surgery recently, "and may be out for a while."

It sounds like something that could knock Heyward out for February's Combine, and he definitely won't play in next week's Senior Bowl. A powerful down lineman at 6'5/288, Heyward was projected as a late first-round pick.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

ohiobronco2
01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Cameron Heyward-DL-Player Jan. 21 - 1:30 pm et

Ohio State DL Cameron Heyward reportedly had elbow surgery recently, "and may be out for a while."

It sounds like something that could knock Heyward out for February's Combine, and he definitely won't play in next week's Senior Bowl. A powerful down lineman at 6'5/288, Heyward was projected as a late first-round pick.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Would be nice if he fell to our first 2nd. :)

Goobzilla
01-21-2011, 03:20 PM
It's amazing the defensive line talent this year. Consider Marvin Austin, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward...most drafts round 1 easily. This year they are possible steals late 1st/early 2nd.

I watched some Marvin Austin highlights on YouTube. Looks good to me, will he be around with our second #2 or would we have to take him at the top?

Rascal
01-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Don't know, but I'd guess at least one of those three will be available for our second round pick.

Mediator12
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Austin is a headcase, but talent wise he is a top 20 player. I would be shocked if either Cameron makes it past 25 in this draft. There are no better players in this draft ahead of them.

orinjkrush
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
oh, lets just take a CB and RB in the first two picks. zig when the league zags.

oubronco
01-21-2011, 10:09 PM
We have an excellent chance to get a few Damn good dlinemen and they better take advantage

oubronco
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Ole Miss NT Jerrell Powe measured 6-foot-2 and 331 pounds at Monday's NFLPA Game weigh-in.

The NFLPA game is the old Texas vs. Nation. Powe forewent a chance to play a sixth season at Ole Miss after academic problems plagued him in college. True 3-4 nose tackles are hard to come by, however, making Powe a fairly interesting mid-round prospect. He needs to dominate in practice this week.
Source: CBS Sports (http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/13682485)

Dedhed
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm praying that Phil Taylor holds out into the 2nd round. I think he'll be anabsolute monster at the next level and is a scheme diverse talent.

People have concerns about his weight, but he can carry 350+ pounds as well as anyone I've seen. He can play NT in a 3-4, but I think he can be equally effective as a 4-3 DT.

His film against Oklahoma is impressive. Double teamed about 50% of the time, he can hold up 2 OL, and still is able to disengage and make plays. When not doubled, he shows the ability to toss guys around. Uses his hands very well to disengage and to penetrate.

He's got the ability to be a clogging presence due to his size and strength, but does have the ability to penetrate when given a 1-on-1 matchup.

RocBronc
02-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm praying that Phil Taylor holds out into the 2nd round. I think he'll be anabsolute monster at the next level and is a scheme diverse talent.

People have concerns about his weight, but he can carry 350+ pounds as well as anyone I've seen. He can play NT in a 3-4, but I think he can be equally effective as a 4-3 DT.

His film against Oklahoma is impressive. Double teamed about 50% of the time, he can hold up 2 OL, and still is able to disengage and make plays. When not doubled, he shows the ability to toss guys around. Uses his hands very well to disengage and to penetrate.

He's got the ability to be a clogging presence due to his size and strength, but does have the ability to penetrate when given a 1-on-1 matchup.

Right now regardless of who we take in the 1st, this is the guy I want with our first pick in the 2nd round. He would fill what to me is the biggest need on our defense right now...

Mediator12
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Taylor should move up boards before the draft, especially if he keeps his weight in the 330's at the combine and runs well in the lateral agility drills like the 3 cone and short shuttle. He was very impressive in mobile and he looked like he had better stamina in practice than most anticipated. Hard to tell in the game as the flow was awful for the south defense.

Taylor definitely helped himself and could be a borderline first player at this point.

oubronco
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Appearing on NFL Network's Total Access Monday night, NFL Network's Mike Mayock raved about Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt.

"I just watched him on tape today against TCU in the Rose Bowl," said Mayock. "He's a beast. He's a first-round pick." Mayock moved Watt to the top of his draft board among 3-4 defensive ends, ranking Watt ahead of Cameron Jordan and Cameron Heyward. Watt is certainly the best pure pass rusher of the group

SouthStndJunkie
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
A player that I like more and more every day is Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina.

6'5 and 270 pounds with that lanky Julius Peppers like athleticism.

Supposedly, he can run in the late 4.3 to 4.4 range.

He was suspended for the 2010 season for taking illegal benefits.

If not for that, I think people would be talking about Robert Quinn over Da'Quan Bowers with our #2 overall pick.

Robert Quinn had 19 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, and 6 forced fumbles in the 2009 season.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuKdkjZf5uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuKdkjZf5uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"

SouthStndJunkie
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I think Robert Quinn and J.J. Watt will both be drafted in the Top 10.

JCMElway
02-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I think Robert Quinn and J.J. Watt will both be drafted in the Top 10.

Agreed. His stock is going way up. Quinn could go in the top 5.

Carmelo15
02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Agreed. His stock is going way up. Quinn could go in the top 5.

Quinn makes me nervous. Seems very boom or bust to me. I could see him being a total bust and I could also see him being the best player in the entire draft. Given the Broncos current state I would not like to take that gamble.

mattob14
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
A player that I like more and more every day is Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina.

6'5 and 270 pounds with that lanky Julius Peppers like athleticism.

Supposedly, he can run in the late 4.3 to 4.4 range.

He was suspended for the 2010 season for taking illegal benefits.

If not for that, I think people would be talking about Robert Quinn over Da'Quan Bowers with our #2 overall pick.

Robert Quinn had 19 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, and 6 forced fumbles in the 2009 season.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuKdkjZf5uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UuKdkjZf5uk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"

Quinn's more explosive than Bowers, and his pass-rush ability probably gives him a higher ceiling, but I just don't know about the fit in Denver. He basically has Doom's skill-set in a bigger package: a pass-rush specialist who isn't known for his run defense. I wouldn't be upset about drafting Quinn, because his ceiling is so high, but it gets a little harder to envision a clean rotation with he, Ayers, and Doom. Quinn and Doom would be a potentially deadly combination off the edge though.

BTW, if Quinn runs in the 4.3's at 270, he won't be around when Denver picks...

TheReverend
02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

I want both. I have a strong feeling our interior DL will be dominantly used 2 gapping. Fresh legs behind Williams/Fields and hopefully a proven vet FA in the form of Paea and Taylor would be nothing less than a massive boost to the football team.

Lev Vyvanse
02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Is this thread formated funny for everyone else?

PRBronco
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Is this thread formated funny for everyone else?

Yeah I feel like i'm looking at it through a backwards telescope.

broncos-rock
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Does anybody know anything about Adrian Clayborn out of Iowa? Alfred Williams loves his game!

oubronco
02-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Baylor NT Phil Taylor is the one prospect "who gets drafted a lot higher than most assume," according to the National Football Post's Wes Bunting.Character-conscious franchises may shy away because Taylor was expelled from Penn State for his participation in a brawl. He won't lack for suitors, though, as an athletic true 3-4 nose tackle. Bunting believes a team could reach for Taylor in the top-15 picks of the draft. Source: National Football Post Feb 18, 12:07 PM

oubronco
02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
According to the National Football Post's Wes Bunting, there are "growing concerns in draft circles" about Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan's NFL position.

"He doesn't look fluid enough to play in space and lacks the anchor to hold up as a down defensive end," explained Bunting. We've seen other draft analysts expressing similar concerns about Kerrigan. The Boilermaker star is going to have to show better-than-expected athleticism at the Combine to erase doubts. He's already dropping weight in an effort to do so.

Source: National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-6583.html)
Feb 18, 12:19 PM

oubronco
02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
NFL Network's Mike Mayock compares Missouri DE Aldon Smith to the Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul and former Bucs sack-master Simeon Rice.

Mayock ranks Smith seventh in the deepest defensive line class he can remember. "I think he's too explosive, too fast, to not go in the first round," said Mayock. Rotoworld's Evan Silva had Smith going to the Chiefs at No. 21 in his first mock draft, two weeks ago.

Source: ESPN Boston (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4693222/musings-from-mayock-on-draft)
Feb 18, 10:42 AM

anton
02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
According to the National Football Post's Wes Bunting, there are "growing concerns in draft circles" about Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan's NFL position.

"He doesn't look fluid enough to play in space and lacks the anchor to hold up as a down defensive end," explained Bunting. We've seen other draft analysts expressing similar concerns about Kerrigan. The Boilermaker star is going to have to show better-than-expected athleticism at the Combine to erase doubts. He's already dropping weight in an effort to do so.

Source: National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-6583.html)
Feb 18, 12:19 PM

This is really stupid. He may not be athletic enough to be a 3-4 OLB but he has everything you want in a DE. His quick twitch explosion off the snap is up there with Quinn and Bowers and is better than the rest of the DEs, including Aldon Smith.

TheReverend
02-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Baylor NT Phil Taylor is the one prospect "who gets drafted a lot higher than most assume," according to the National Football Post's Wes Bunting.Character-conscious franchises may shy away because Taylor was expelled from Penn State for his participation in a brawl. He won't lack for suitors, though, as an athletic true 3-4 nose tackle. Bunting believes a team could reach for Taylor in the top-15 picks of the draft. Source: National Football Post Feb 18, 12:07 PM

No chance. Maybe I'm hyper sensitive about PSU's bad apples (Hope Baker burns in hell), but I LOVE Taylor, but he flat out just isnt good enough to go in the first round this year.

In before he gets taken at #14 and this gets bumped.

anton
02-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Does anybody know anything about Adrian Clayborn out of Iowa? Alfred Williams loves his game!

He played like a top 10 pick in 2009 and a 2nd round pick in 2010. Here is a 15 min clip from 2009 and 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJqbwmfwp0. Similar to Robert Ayers actually.

anton
02-18-2011, 08:16 PM
If you guys want the next Suh, Dareus might be the best pick. Comparing college film, Dareus' style is very much like Suh's in that power and strength at the point are their game. Fairley and Gerald McCoy are the penetrators that both need to improve at the point of attack. I thought McCoy was better than Fairley against the run in college but McCoy still really needs to keep improving and getting bigger. Fairley's character concerns and questions in run defense would make me scared as hell to take him at 2.

oubronco
02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
If you guys want the next Suh, Dareus might be the best pick. Comparing college film, Dareus' style is very much like Suh's in that power and strength at the point are their game. Fairley and Gerald McCoy are the penetrators that both need to improve at the point of attack. I thought McCoy was better than Fairley against the run in college but McCoy still really needs to keep improving and getting bigger. Fairley's character concerns and questions in run defense would make me scared as hell to take him at 2.

Dareus is my pick cause he is so versatile and can play anywhere on the line in a 4-3 or a 3-4

oubronco
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Both Mike Mayock and Warren Sapp of NFL Network believe Alabama DT Marcell Dareus is a better prospect than Auburn DT Nick Fairley.

Their sentiments aren't the consensus, but their logic isn't flawed. While Fairley has the statistical edge, Dareus is the more consistent player. Said Mayock, "Bottom line, Fairley may have a little bit more upside, but I think Dareus is the safer pick." Sapp will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer as the greatest pass-rushing defensive tackle of all time, so his opinion is perhaps even more notable than Mayock's.
Related: Nick Fairley (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6492/nick-fairley)

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/warren-sapp-marcell-dareus-is-better-than-nick-fairley/)
Feb 19, 9:12 AM

broncos-rock
02-19-2011, 03:16 PM
He played like a top 10 pick in 2009 and a 2nd round pick in 2010. Here is a 15 min clip from 2009 and 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJqbwmfwp0. Similar to Robert Ayers actually.

I watched highlights of both but it doesnt seem like Ayers is built the same as Clayborn. Clayborn is really thick from the waist down. I believe Alfred Williams was very impressed with his power and speed. I wonder if he might be around in the early 2nd!

SpringStein
02-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Dareus is my pick cause he is so versatile and can play anywhere on the line in a 4-3 or a 3-4

I've become a fan of this choice.

NFLBRONCO
02-19-2011, 09:27 PM
I've become a fan of this choice.

Dareus and Peterson are my favs

eddie mac
02-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Can anyone break down the top 20 D-Linemen and their best fit in an NFL defense, i.e if we go with what Fox is renowned for, who fits best here???

1. Fairley
2. Bowers
3. Darius
4. Quinn
5. Miller
6. Aldon Smith
7. Jordan
8. Watt
9, Clayborn
10 Heyward
11 Paea
12 Kerrigan
13 Luiget
14 Nevis
15 Ballard
16 Sheard
17 Taylor
18 Wilkerson
19 Bailey
20 Jenkins

anton
02-20-2011, 02:55 AM
I think if Fox wants a Kris Jenkins to build a 2003 Panthers type dline (which killed the Bucs for years btw), Marcell Dareus is the guy he wants. Fox is going to like the safer pick.

My rankings:

1. Dareus - 43 DT or 34 DE. Monster vs run with a rhino-type build. Flashed passrush ability but didnt have the sacks.
2. Fairley - 43 UT only. Very agile but not great at the point.
3. Bowers - 43 DE only. Total package (pass and run) but 1 year wonder.
4. Quinn - 43 RDE or 34 OLB. Best passrusher in the draft.
5. Jordan - 43 LDE,UT or 34 DE. Ideal 34 DE, should be a top 10 pick.
6. Kerrigan - 43 LDE or RDE. Elite explosiveness off the snap to go with motor, leadership. My ideal Bucs pick.
7. Miller - OLB in either scheme.
8. Aldon Smith - 43 RDE or 34 OLB. I question his explosiveness off the snap but he has great closing speed.
9. Watt - 43 LDE or 34 DE. Top 20 pick.
10. Clayborn - 43 LDE only. If he gets back to 2009 form, hes the steal of the draft.
11. Paea - 43 NT.
12. Heyward - 43 LDE,UT or 34 DE. Underrated after average senior year.
13 Luiget - 43 UT only. Gerald McCoy jr.
14 Nevis - 43 UT only. Brian Price jr.
15 Ballard
16 Sheard
17 Taylor
18 Wilkerson
19 Bailey - 43 LDE,UT or 34 DE. Can become a monster with great coaching.
20 Jenkins

mhgaffney
02-20-2011, 03:43 AM
That's a lot of depth.

If we go Peterson there will be someone at the top of the second.

Play2win
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
I think if Fox wants a Kris Jenkins to build a 2003 Panthers type dline (which killed the Bucs for years btw), Marcell Dareus is the guy he wants. Fox is going to like the safer pick.

Music to my ears!!! :thumbsup:

Play2win
02-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I wonder if we could swing Dareus + Paea / Heyward?

if either fall or we jump back in the end of the 1st?

Shananahan
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
If we landed Dareus in the first I would be very happy. He's my #1 choice at that spot, with Bowers and Peterson following. If that happened, though, I'd prefer to land the best LB possible in the 2nd round, unless they have a real sleeper picked out for the 3rd. We're going to need upgrades at the LB spots almost as much as the DL.

Play2win
02-20-2011, 12:42 PM
If we landed Dareus in the first I would be very happy. He's my #1 choice at that spot, with Bowers and Peterson following. If that happened, though, I'd prefer to land the best LB possible in the 2nd round, unless they have a real sleeper picked out for the 3rd. We're going to need upgrades at the LB spots almost as much as the DL.

Absolutely. Just reminiscing about the days with Al Wilson, tells you all you need to know about what a top-notch MLB can do for a team.

Dareus in the first, though :thumbsup:

eddie mac
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM

My rankings:

1. Dareus - 43 DT or 34 DE. Monster vs run with a rhino-type build. Flashed passrush ability but didnt have the sacks.
6. Kerrigan - 43 LDE or RDE. Elite explosiveness off the snap to go with motor, leadership. My ideal Bucs pick.
8. Aldon Smith - 43 RDE or 34 OLB. I question his explosiveness off the snap but he has great closing speed.
10. Clayborn - 43 LDE only. If he gets back to 2009 form, hes the steal of the draft.
11. Paea - 43 NT.
15 Ballard
16 Sheard
17 Taylor
18 Wilkerson
20 Jenkins

Thanks very much for the info Anton.

Would Dareus play the Nose or UT in Fox's 4-3???

Plus any ideas what LB's he'd be looking at for MLB and SLB that's if DJ sticks here and is rubber stamped for WLB???

Broncos_OTM
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks very much for the info Anton.

Would Dareus play the Nose or UT in Fox's 4-3???

Plus any ideas what LB's he'd be looking at for MLB and SLB that's if DJ sticks here and is rubber stamped for WLB???
I could be wrong i hope to get more info but i think fox likes his dts to be big and beefy more like will he play nt1 or nt2

gyldenlove
02-20-2011, 09:02 PM

My rankings:

11. Paea - 43 NT.
15 Ballard
16 Sheard
17 Taylor
18 Wilkerson
20 Jenkins

Dareus could play either 4-3 DT position and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a 3-4 NT prospect, the kid is freakishly strong and his hand work is superb. Playing in that Saban defense you know he is well disciplined and that system is not conductive at all towards defensive linemen building up stats.

Right now Dareus the guy I want.

gyldenlove
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I could be wrong i hope to get more info but i think fox likes his dts to be big and beefy more like will he play nt1 or nt2

I think he is pretty flexible, both his starters from last year are sub 300 pounders.

Kris Jenkins was obviously a big lad although he grew really big after his pro bowl years, Rucker wasn't that big in his pro bowl year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a classic alignment with 1 space eater type and 1 UT.

anton
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Panthers Superbowl defense: DT Kris Jenkins (6'4 335), DT Brentson Buckner (6'2 305), MLB Dan Morgan (6'2 245).

MLBs Kelvin Sheppard and Martez Wilson are about that size. I'm surprised Dareus is listed at only 305, he looks a lot bigger. Maybe he will be bigger at the combine (Suh played his senior season at 290 and came to the combine at 307).

BroncoMan4ever
02-21-2011, 02:11 PM
That's a lot of depth.

If we go Peterson there will be someone at the top of the second.

i will kick a puppy and punch a baby if we draft Peterson even if Champ leaves.

Champ is the perfect example of a situation of who cares how strong your secondary is or how elite your corners are if you can't apply pressure with the front 7.

i am not particularly high on any of the supposed top DL expected to go in the top 10. i know it would be early to take him at 2, but if we can't trade out of 2, i am hoping the team reaches on Von Miller or takes Dareus. i want nothing to do with Bowers or Fairley

oubronco
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects North Carolina's Robert Quinn to "challenge" Clemson's Da'Quan Bowers as the draft's No. 1 defensive end.

Quinn "might be most talented football player in this draft," said Mayock. "One of most dominant edge rushers I've ever seen on tape." Mayock also predicts Quinn will run a 4.55 forty at 270 pounds. Quinn's talent has long been considered top-of-the-draft quality, but questions remain about his lackadaisical attitude. His will be one of the most interesting Combine performances.
Related: Da'Quan Bowers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6463/daquan-bowers)

Source: Evan Silva on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/statuses/40204425188347904)
Feb 22, 7:35 PM

oubronco
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Mayock: Combine may put Robert Quinn in mix for No. 1 overall pick

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/mayock-combine-may-put-robert-quinn-in-mix-for-no-1-overall-pick/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/mayock-combine-may-put-robert-quinn-in-mix-for-no-1-overall-pick/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 23, 2011, 12:43 PM EST

Former North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn didn’t play in 2010 because of a suspension for receiving illegal benefits from an agent. And it may not matter.

Quinn still has a chance to be taken No. 1 overall in April’s draft, according to NFL Network’s Mike Mayock. Speaking on the Rich Eisen Podcast, Mayock said he expected Quinn to “blow up” the Combine.

“I’m probably going to walk in there on the first day of the defensive line drills and say he’s the No. 1 pick in the whole country,” Mayock said. “And he didn’t play last year.”

Mayock said he recently watched a lot of ’08 and ’09 film on Quinn and was highly impressed. He said Quinn could run a 4.55 forty at 6’4, 275 pounds at the combine. (That’s about the same speed as a possession receiver.)

It’s not like Quinn would just be a workout wonder; he produced plenty at North Carolina before his suspension. Taking Quinn would be a risk, but fellow athletic freak Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers really had one big year.

There may not be a “safe” no brainer No. 1 selection this season and Mayock has already moved Quinn ahead of Bowers in his defensive end rankings.

Mayock’s bold statement may take some draftniks by surprise. But we’ve learned over the years that Mayock’s bold statements in February often turn into conventional wisdom by April.

oubronco
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
One NFL scout tells SI's Don Banks that Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn is "probably going to slip some" in the draft because of his arm problems.

Clayborn's right arm is smaller than his left arm, and he suffered a broken collarbone at birth. "His right arm is mal-developed to a degree," the scout said. "He's left-hand dominant because of it ... and that may be why he always played at right end in college and never moved around. The combine is real important for him. He's probably going to slip."

Source: SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/24/combine/index.html?xid=si_nfl)
Feb 24, 11:58 AM

PRBronco
02-24-2011, 03:05 PM
One NFL scout tells SI's Don Banks that Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn is "probably going to slip some" in the draft because of his arm problems.

Clayborn's right arm is smaller than his left arm, and he suffered a broken collarbone at birth. "His right arm is mal-developed to a degree," the scout said. "He's left-hand dominant because of it ... and that may be why he always played at right end in college and never moved around. The combine is real important for him. He's probably going to slip."

Source: SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/24/combine/index.html?xid=si_nfl)
Feb 24, 11:58 AM

Oh man I bet Shanny's licking his chops.

oubronco
02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Auburn DT Nick Fairley has fallen to No. 6 overall in pre-Combine mock drafts done by both Jason La Canfora and Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network.

Each of the mocks has had Da'Quan Bowers going first to Carolina, and Cam Newton going third overall to the Bills. The consensus, at least at NFL Network, is that Fairley is going to "slip" a bit on draft day, as predicted by Lombardi. Plenty can change between now and late April, but for now at least Fairley appears in danger of falling out of the top five.
Related: Bills (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/buf/bills), Panthers (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/car/panthers), Browns (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/cle/browns)

Feb 25, 7:54 PM

TheReverend
02-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Auburn DT Nick Fairley has fallen to No. 6 overall in pre-Combine mock drafts done by both Jason La Canfora and Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network.

Each of the mocks has had Da'Quan Bowers going first to Carolina, and Cam Newton going third overall to the Bills. The consensus, at least at NFL Network, is that Fairley is going to "slip" a bit on draft day, as predicted by Lombardi. Plenty can change between now and late April, but for now at least Fairley appears in danger of falling out of the top five.
Related: Bills (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/buf/bills), Panthers (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/car/panthers), Browns (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/cle/browns)

Feb 25, 7:54 PM

Irrelevant speculation before combine. If Fairley blows it up there, and Dareus and Bowers and Peterson arent as impressive, he goes #1 overall.

yerner
02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Phil Taylor please.

anton
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm surprised Dareus is listed at only 305, he looks a lot bigger. Maybe he will be bigger at the combine (Suh played his senior season at 290 and came to the combine at 307).

Dareus weighed in at 6'3 319.

oubronco
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Marcell Dareus: The nicer, safer option to Nick Fairley

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/26/marcel-dareus-the-nicer-safer-option-to-nick-fairley/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/26/marcel-dareus-the-nicer-safer-option-to-nick-fairley/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 26, 2011, 12:16 PM EST

Asked to describe himself on Saturday as a player, Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus didn’t hesitate.

“I would describe myself as a nice guy,” Dareus said, noting that if he knocks a player down, he picks him up.

We can’t help but contrast that answer to Dareus’ competition as the draft’s top defensive tackle: Nick Fairley of Auburn. Fairley has a reputation as a dirty player, who got a ridiculous amount of penalties for hits after the whistle.

While Fairley has received more hype as a potential top overall pick, NFL Network’s Warren Sapp believes Dareus is the better “three-technique” tackle — the position that Sapp redefined. That’s not by accident; Dareus mentioned Sapp as a player he patterns his game after.

“I love Warren Sapp,” Dareus said. “Watching Warren Sapp made me want to play football.”

Sapp and Dareus have never spoken. PFT asked Dareus what Sapp’s praise meant to him and he just smiled huge and said it meant a lot, before noting Sapp won’t be the one drafting.

With better size and fewer questions about consistency, Dareus looks like the stronger, possibly safer option to Fairley. Dareus embraced the “safe” tag, saying his versatility and experience under Nick Saban indeed makes him a safe pick.

ORANGECRUSH
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Is Robert Quinn related to the Broncos one and only Richard Quinn? If so I would think twice before picking him second overall.