PDA

View Full Version : So if Elway brings us a title or two......

baja
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Will that have the unintended result of keeping Shanahan out of the HOF

poll

RhymesayersDU
01-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes.

Homer Simpson
01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Perhaps.

gunns
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Will what?

bowtown
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
I was unaware that John was coming out of retirement. No wonder he wants to trade Tebow.

scorpio
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
If my aunt had nuts would she be my uncle?

gunns
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't know. I've always given Elway more credit than Shanahan. Shanahan won SB's with Young and Elway. After that, nada.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't know. I've always given Elway more credit than Shanahan. Shanahan won SB's with Young and Elway. After that, nada.

Elway won SB's with Shanahan. Before and after that, nada.

loborugger
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
This poll assumes that Shanahan is otherwise headed to the HOF, which I think is a pretty big leap.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
This poll assumes that Shanahan is otherwise headed to the HOF, which I think is a pretty big leap.

The third option expressly states otherwise.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't think shanny gets into the HOF

baja
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM

No it doesn't read option #3 again

Jetmeck
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Guess this why you have 40k posts...............get a life dude.........

Pick Six
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
While I appreciate the two Super Bowls, he's been a mediocre coach in the ensuing years. We'll see what he does in Year 2 of the Redskins. Right now, he hasn't earned HOF status...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

worm
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
While I appreciate the two Super Bowls, he's been a mediocre coach in the ensuing years. We'll see what he does in Year 2 of the Redskins. Right now, he hasn't earned HOF status...

A mediocre to bad GM, yes. A mediocre coach? Child please.

baja
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Guess this why you have 40k posts...............get a life dude.........

Why do you concern yourself with me?

bendog
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM

it's pathetic. This board is still dissembling from the Josh epic fail.

Steve Sewell
01-11-2011, 11:12 AM

I was just looking on pro-football-reference.com and the dude is slipping pretty badly. Just a few years ago he looked like a shoe-in for the HOF. I still think he'll get in.

I mean, if Marv Levy and Joe Gibbs are in the HOF, it would be pretty silly if Shanahan didn't get the nod. OH WAIT I forgot that the HOF is an East Coast biased popularity contest...silly me.

loborugger
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
No it doesn't read option #3 again

Gotcha. I just thought he was never there. I got from you that Shanny was there (HOF level HC), but if Elway turns out to be the second coming of, well, Elway, then Shanny was suddenly dethroned from his imminent HOF status. Anyways, Shanny needs to win at least 1 more SB on his own. I think had he taken Plummer and Co to the 2005 SB and won it, he woulda been in regardless of what Elway did, what Shanny did in DC, or any other things.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Personally, I think he's done enough to get in but knowing the fickle and petty group that decides, I answered that he has to have some more success before HOF.

baja
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Gotcha. <b> I just thought he was never there. I got from you that Shanny was there (HOF level HC), but if Elway turns out to be the second coming of, well, Elway, then Shanny was suddenly dethroned from his imminent HOF status. </b> Anyways, Shanny needs to win at least 1 more SB on his own. I think had he taken Plummer and Co to the 2005 SB and won it, he woulda been in regardless of what Elway did, what Shanny did in DC, or any other things.

ya that was option #1 I guess I could have worded it differently.

baja
01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I forgot to make the poll public - I'm slipping into old age miss steps.

Hey Pat want'a have a game of Parcheesi.....

Homer Simpson
01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd be happy with him getting some coaches to interview, perhaps a willingness to open up the search if we've been turned down by Fewell, Mularky and Williams?

2KBack
01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I was just looking on pro-football-reference.com and the dude is slipping pretty badly. Just a few years ago he looked like a shoe-in for the HOF. I still think he'll get in.

I mean, if Marv Levy and Joe Gibbs are in the HOF, it would be pretty silly if Shanahan didn't get the nod. OH WAIT I forgot that the HOF is an East Coast biased popularity contest...silly me.

I'd say if Marv Levy is in, then yeah, shanahan has a shot. Gibbs was HOF no question though. 3 rings, 3 different QB's.

jhns
01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
So you think there is a chance Elway gets credit for building the late 90s Broncos if he does a good job building up the team now? What?

baja
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
So you think there is a chance Elway gets credit for building the late 90s Broncos if he does a good job building up the team now? What?

There has been a 12 year discussion on rather Elway made Shanahan or Shanahan made Elway - where have you been?

jhns
01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
There has been a 12 year discussion on rather Elway made Shanahan or Shanahan made Elway - where have you been?

Yes, but what does his job as management have to do with that discussion? How would him having success now change that discussion? The only way it would is if you are going to start giving him credit for building the late 90s teams, which would just be dumb...

DrFate
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
:deadhorse

baja
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, but what does his job as management have to do with that discussion? How would him having success now change that discussion?

I realize it's a bit of a stretch but that is why there 3 options. ;D

OK to answer your question. John made things happen on the field. He "made plays" this is something you don't coach. If he is wildly successful as a VP people will reason maybe he was more responsible for all the 97 & 98 winning then previously thought. Remember it's a poll put forth at a time when it's a long time before our next game. Really I was more interested in seeing if people thought Shanny has already earned a HOF spot. Then I forgot to make the poll public. so all is for not. Damn maybe the guy is right, I do need to get a life....

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I'd say if Marv Levy is in, then yeah, shanahan has a shot. Gibbs was HOF no question though. 3 rings, 3 different QB's.

and NONE of them were elite qb's.

Agamemnon
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I realize it's a bit of a stretch but that is why there 3 options. ;D

OK to answer your question. John made things happen on the field. He "made plays" this is something you don't coach. If he is wildly successful as a VP people will reason maybe he was more responsible for all the 97 & 98 winning then previously thought. Remember it's a poll put forth at a time when it's a long time before our next game. Really I was more interested in seeing if people thought Shanny has already earned a HOF spot. Then I forgot to make the poll public. so all is for not. Damn maybe the guy is right, I do need to get a life....

It was all TD anyway. Elway and Shanny just rode his coattails. ;)

baja
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
It was all TD anyway. Elway and Shanny just rode his coattails. ;)

I have felt that way all along. If you had to pick the #1 reason for the SB wins it's gotta be TD.

jhns
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I have felt that way all along. If you had to pick the #1 reason for the SB wins it's gotta be TD.

No, it was the team. TD wouldn't have made a difference on this team if he was here the last few years. We may have a few more wins but we would still be crap. The same can be said for Elway(just try finding a time that he won with this bad of a defense, special teams, and run game). That invalidates everything being argued.

These arguments are dumb. They don't hand out SB trophies to individuals. They give them to teams. Shanahan built that team. The players played the games. Neither would do it without the other. No one player would have done it without the rest...

jhns
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM

How many SBs did Elway even get to without Shanahan?...

Shanahan did more post HOF QB than most franchises. The only one I can think of doing better was the 49ers team that had another HOF QB waiting at backup...

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
a good regular season record, combined with 2 SB rings. still dont know if its HOF worthy.

baja
01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
No, it was the team. TD wouldn't have made a difference on this team if he was here the last few years. We may have a few more wins but we would still be crap. The same can be said for Elway(just try finding a time that he won with this bad of a defense, special teams, and run game). That invalidates everything being argued.

These arguments are dumb. They don't hand out SB trophies to individuals. They give them to teams. Shanahan built that team. The players played the games. Neither would do it without the other. No one player would have done it without the rest...

Oh it was the TEAM - thanks for clearing that up there jhns.

Not much of a abstract thinker are you jhns.

make a list of the most important ingredients on that team that as a team won the SB.

Put another way what is the one element they could least afford to lose in that SB run.

baja
01-11-2011, 01:49 PM
<b>How many SBs did Elway even get to without Shanahan?...</b>

Shanahan did more post HOF QB than most franchises. The only one I can think of doing better was the 49ers team that had another HOF QB waiting at backup...

three

BroncoSojia
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
three

False

baja
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
False

as head coach unless you want to give a position coach credit for getting to the SB

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
three

Wrong...

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
as head coach unless you want to give a position coach credit for getting to the SB

Position coach?

I didn't say as head coach...

Sure, there is no connection to us getting to SBs and Shanahan being in charge of at least one side of the ball...

baja
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Position coach?

I didn't say as head coach...

Sure, there is no connection to us getting to SBs and Shanahan being in charge of at least one side of the ball...

OK you win / what was the game again???

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
OK you win / what was the game again???

The game was: Don't Argue With Your Superiors... It is a fun one.

What is with Bronco "fans" trying to take away from what Shanahan did for this franchise? It seems very silly to me.

Rohirrim
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
If Elway can't make this work, the only thing left is to ask for new ownership. That will be very nasty and the suffering will be loooooooooooong. God help us if Tebow busts.

baja
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
The game was: Don't Argue With Your Superiors... It is a fun one.

What is with Bronco "fans" trying to take away from what Shanahan did for this franchise? It seems very silly to me.

Or is it objective people seeing the good along with the bad?

baja
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
If Elway can't make this work, the only thing left is to ask for new ownership. That will be very nasty and the suffering will be loooooooooooong. God help us if Tebow busts.

BINGO

This is a critical time for the broncos, monumental really. It could even result in the team being sold and moved.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

But I thought the first one... was for John. ^5

:yayaya:

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Or is it objective people seeing the good along with the bad?

What bad did Shanahan bring in the SB years that makes Bronco "fans" question his role?

Why would a Broncos fan feel compelled to hate on a Broncos all time great?

baja
01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
We have 96 yards to go and Elway is at the helm. Can he do it again?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
What bad did Shanahan bring in the SB years that makes Bronco "fans" question his role?

Why is it "hating" to wonder aloud if the guy is a lock for the Hall?

If he'd retired before the twilight of his time in Denver, he'd be in, no question. But I think the last three years of his tenure here kind of hurt his chances in the eyes of the media who will vote.

If he wins a title in Washington, though, he'll be in for sure. A LOT is riding on that.

baja
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM

On the first point to quote a friend "buy a clue"

On the second point to quote that same friend "buy a Vowel"

Taco John
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
It's automatic. Shanahan will be in the HOF, I have no doubt.

baja
01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
It's automatic. Shanahan will be in the HOF, I have no doubt.

TJ can you change this poll to public?

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Why is it "hating" to wonder aloud if the guy is a lock for the Hall?

If he'd retired before the twilight of his time in Denver, he'd be in, no question. But I think the last three years of his tenure here kind of hurt his chances in the eyes of the media who will vote.

If he wins a title in Washington, though, he'll be in for sure. A LOT is riding on that.

Questioning if he will make the HOF is one thing, questioning his role in the SBs is another.

If the argument was "Are two SBs and X record good enough for the HOF?" Is a lot different than saying Elway(or TD) should get the credit for the SBs.

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM

**** .... sorry you need to google Shanahans name dear. he has done way more but nice try.

this hread is fail. three stars

Ha!Ha!Ha!

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
On the first point to quote a friend "buy a clue"

On the second point to quote that same friend "buy a Vowel"

Yup. Shanahan haters have nothing. They can't even back their own claims a little.

It is crazy how people like you have so much blind love for the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise and hate on one of the franchises all time greats...

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
part of why Shanahan was let go was he was fat and doing way to many things like running a Restaurant and all the other BS he was up to ! not because he was not a kick ass Coach at one time ! he got fat .

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Questioning if he will make the HOF is one thing, questioning his role in the SBs is another.

If the argument was "Are two SBs and X record good enough for the HOF?" Is a lot different than saying Elway(or TD) should get the credit for the SBs.

Didn't you say above that they were "team" super bowl wins?

baja
01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Yup. Shanahan haters have nothing. They can't even back their own claims a little.

It is crazy how people like you have so much blind love for the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise and hate on one of the franchises all time greats...

Poster says the most important spoke in the wheel in 97 98 was TD / jhns says why do you hate Shanahan. Leaves nothing to say to you.

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Didn't you say above that they were "team" super bowl wins?

Yup. Did I say something that contradicts that?

~Crash~
01-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Ask him who put that team together

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Poster says the most important spoke in the wheel in 97 98 was TD / jhns says why do you hate Shanahan. Leaves nothing to say to you.

Ummm, that wasn't even part of that conversation. You made a claim. I asked you what you meant by it. You said "get a clue", "buy a vowel"....

No wonder you love McDaniels. You aren't even smart enough to follow a simple conversation. I guess you just love people on your level.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

"questioning his role in the SBs is another. "

Designating "the most important spoke" in a wheel, to me, is different than questioning his role.

Do we win the two Super Bowls without TD? Without Elway?

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 02:45 PM
dont EVER say ANYTHING negative about shanahan, ever. jhns will reply atleast 30 times.

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
part of why Shanahan was let go was he was fat and doing way to many things like running a Restaurant and all the other BS he was up to ! not because he was not a kick ass Coach at one time ! he got fat .

I could see that. I have gotten lazier with each pound that I gain. Being lazy will definitely hurt your work production.

baja
01-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Designating "the most important spoke" in a wheel, to me, is different than questioning his role.

Good relief has arrived - good luck with this. ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Good relief has arrived - good luck with this. ;D

Oh, I don't think I'll stick around. Just trying to show that some people here find middle ground where others cannot.

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
dont EVER say ANYTHING negative about shanahan, ever. jhns will reply atleast 30 times.

This. It goes for any Broncos great. Go ahead, say something negative about Elway, TD, Atwater, Sharpe, Smith, etc.....

baja
01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
This. It goes for any Broncos great. Go ahead, say something negative about Elway, TD, Atwater, Sharpe, Smith, etc.....

don't you think Smith was a little over rated? He's not even considered for the HOF

jhns
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Do we win two SBs without Shanahan? Do we even make a single SB in the Elway era without Shanahan?

Haters gonna hate. Funny that it's all the McDaniels lovers who love to hate on Shanahan.

gunns
01-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Too bad he mixed the two because the 1 made the other look mediocre too

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Do we win two SBs without Shanahan? Do we even make a single SB in the Elway era without Shanahan?

Haters gonna hate. Funny that it's all the McDaniels lovers who love to hate on Shanahan.

Nice answer. ROFL!

Probably, we don't. Probably, without Shanahan, we don't get Elway a ring.

Probably, without TD, Elway doesn't get a ring.

Probably, without Elway and TD, Shanahan doesn't get a ring.

I still don't see how wondering if the guy is a HOF caliber coach right now is "hating." It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

jhns
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
don't you think Smith was a little over rated? He's not even considered for the HOF

Nope. Best all time undrafted receiver in the history of the sport. Best all time Broncos receiver.

If you are talking about Neil and not Rod, well I met him in person and got his autograph. He was very cool and even shared his cheese sticks with me. He also went to Nebraska. That is HOF in my book.

jhns
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I still don't see how wondering if the guy is a HOF caliber coach right now is "hating." It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

That is because you failed to read the thread and figure out where my responses came from... It isn't my fault you don't understand the basics of conversation.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
That is because you failed to read the thread and figure out where my responses came from... It isn't my fault you don't understand the basics of conversation.

Says the guy who doesn't answer a direct question. Ha!

You're too funny.

Taco John
01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
TJ can you change this poll to public?

Polls don't work like that.