PDA

View Full Version : Peter King thinks Dennison will get the HC job

BMarsh615
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
You read it here first: I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Dennison got the Denver job.

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/24644935303045120

Chris
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Good thing he's a moron.

Archer81
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Any twitter clarifications?

:Broncos:

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Good thing he's a moron.

Man, I hope so.

baja
You read it here first: I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Dennison got the Denver job.

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/24644935303045120

Not really Peter I beat you to it by two weeks.

It's a no brainer really. Or should be.

Drek
Well no **** Pete, they're interviewing the guy. If he didn't have something of a shot why would they do that?

But hey, weren't you the guy who quoted Elway as saying he wanted someone with HC experience? Or that we were trading Tebow to Minnesota?

Pete's got the lock down on all things Broncos, that much is clear.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I was hoping to not hear from Peter King for a while after this weekend.

KipCorrington25
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah this pretty much guarantees it won't be Dennison.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
You read it here first: I wouldn't be surprised if Peter King wrapped a Starbuck's vente skim carmel machiato latte around his penis later tonight.

Tim
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree with him

Jesterhole
01-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I've never heard anything but really good things about Dennison. The O-line never dropped off after he took over for Gibbs.

That said, I really don't want a first timer, and hiring both John and Dennison would read a bit too much like trying to reach for the past instead of moving forward.

Whatever, their O kicked ass this year, and Dennison has learned from Gibbs, Kubes and Shanahan. That's some good mentoring.

Drek
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Not really Peter I beat you to it by two weeks.

It's a no brainer really. Or should be.

Exactly. It shows the complete lack of any brain power being applied in Dove Valley if they hire Dennison to be HC.

Woefully underqualified, an ok position coach who is a mediocre at best OC never tasked with running his side of the ball. Just the guy we need running the whole show. I'm sure he's got a broad coaching tree to fill out his assistants with though right? Oh wait. He's only worked with Shanny and Kubes. Hasn't even coached at a college before. Just always been a Shanny/Kubes assistant.

So who's he know for our DC? His OC? Positional coaches?

And I thought McDaniels had a limited network of qualified assistants to turn to.

SoCalBronco
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I hope he's right. Our old offense would be good for our current personnel.

GIT R DONE

bowtown
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
]at a college before. Just always been a Shanny/Kubes assistant.

OC: Tom Nalen
DC: Jimmy Spencer
ST: Keith Burns

Please let this just be Peter's lack of imagination at work.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Exactly. It shows the complete lack of any brain power being applied in Dove Valley if they hire Dennison to be HC.

Woefully underqualified, an ok position coach who is a mediocre at best OC never tasked with running his side of the ball. Just the guy we need running the whole show. I'm sure he's got a broad coaching tree to fill out his assistants with though right? Oh wait. He's only worked with Shanny and Kubes. Hasn't even coached at a college before. Just always been a Shanny/Kubes assistant.

And I thought McDaniels had a limited network of qualified assistants to turn to.

Ha. After your fantasy scenario didn't materialize, I guess its understandable you'd be so en garde about this.

~Crash~
01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I've never heard anything but really good things about Dennison. The O-line never dropped off after he took over for Gibbs.

That said, I really don't want a first timer, and hiring both John and Dennison would read a bit too much like trying to reach for the past instead of moving forward.

Whatever, their O kicked ass this year, and Dennison has learned from Gibbs, Kubes and Shanahan. That's some good mentoring.

add in MCD

TonyR
01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Why bother with all the interviews and the exec search firm if they're just going to hire Dennison? And Elway said head coaching experience was a requirement. This better not happen. Which means I'm bracing myself...

GoBroncos84
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
There is a big difference between "don't be surprised if this happens" and "I think this is going to happen". Just saying...

Drek
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I hope he's right. Our old offense would be good for our current personnel.

GIT R DONE

Think G-Rob would come back to run the defense?

I bet SoB would be the QB coach if we asked him! Wow, how exciting is that?!

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Why bother with all the interviews and the exec search firm if they're just going to hire Dennison? And Elway said head coaching experience was a requirement. This better not happen. Which means I'm bracing myself...

Its just Peter King freelancing with nothing to back it up again. Nothing to see here.

~Crash~
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Shanahan wine b****ing is your forte

Tim
01-10-2011, 07:41 PM

OC- (insert name, cause rick is calling the plays)
DC- Winston Moss, Wink, David Gibbs
Positional Coaches- Not hard to find some young guys from the colleege level to fill a void and make a name for themselves in this league.

bpc
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Basically we've entered into our Joe Bugel phase of the metamorphosis into the Raiders.

You just can't hire Dennison if you're serious about winning. It looks like a homer pick. What type of offense did he grow in Houston? Did he even call the plays? Gimme me a break.

gunns

Oh goody, that's just what we need. Another ****ing coach that focus's on the offense. God help the Broncos. We can go 6-10 or 8-8 with the best damn offense in the league.

SoCalBronco
Think G-Rob would come back to run the defense?

I bet SoB would be the QB coach if we asked him! Wow, how exciting is that?!

Why are you assuming he would have to choose former Broncos for the defense?

All we know is we would be going back to our old offense...that's it and that's a VERY GOOD THING:

1. An offense with a proven running game that fits our three best OL is just what Tebow needs.

2. An offense with alot of rollouts and PA's would be great for Tebow.

I would love to have Coach Dennison running this team...just get him a strong DC and we're good to go.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Positional Coaches- Not hard to find some young guys from the colleege level to fill a void and make a name for themselves in this league.

1. Rick has NEVER called plays. What makes you think he's qualified to do this and coach the team? He's a running/oline coach.

2. Did you just say David Gibbs? Jesus Christ.

3. Well you've done a bang up job so far. I'm sure these guys will be heros.

Drek
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Ha. After your fantasy scenario didn't materialize, I guess its understandable you'd be so en garde about this.

Like I said in that thread, it was a wild fantasy and it only underscores the type of staff I want to see us assemble, not the exact people.

We need a HC who knows what the job entails so he can hit the job running from day one. He needs a network of coaches that enables him to bring in accomplished assistants as opposed to letting everyone getting their first shot on our dime.

As long as we go with guys who's coaching tree resembles a family tree of Ozark mountain folk we're going to keep making the same mistakes.

Mularkey, Nolan, Mornhinweig, Fewell, Fox, anyone who's actually had a shot to run an NFL team should be preferred over someone who hasn't.

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
dennison has never called plays before, hes never been a HC before, and his specialty is linemen when we have a very raw basically rookie QB. this will go well.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
1. Rick has NEVER called plays. What makes you think he's qualified to do this and coach the team.

Who says Dennison will be calling plays as the head coach?

bowtown
01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Who says Dennison will be calling plays as the head coach?

The post I just quoted and was responding to.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
dennison has never called plays before, hes never been a HC before, and his specialty is linemen when we have a very raw basically rookie QB. this will go well.

He has played LB, has been a ST coach, an OL coach, and also an offensive coordinator. Whether or not he's been great at any or all of those possibly isnt as important as the fact that he's done all of those. He's been involved in the game from a lot of different perspectives. If he is a head coach that is the coordinator of coordinators, this could be especially useful.

Popps
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
It's hard for me to imagine a worse realistic option.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Like I said in that thread, it was a wild fantasy and it only underscores the type of staff I want to see us assemble, not the exact people.

We need a HC who knows what the job entails so he can hit the job running from day one. He needs a network of coaches that enables him to bring in accomplished assistants as opposed to letting everyone getting their first shot on our dime.

As long as we go with guys who's coaching tree resembles a family tree of Ozark mountain folk we're going to keep making the same mistakes.

Mularkey, Nolan, Mornhinweig, Fewell, Fox, anyone who's actually had a shot to run an NFL team should be preferred over someone who hasn't.

Right. Because someone is better just because they havent coached in Denver. LOL. You gotta love the internet.

TheReverend
01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
But we didn't read it there first... we read it from Schefter a full week ago!

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM

According to Peter King, that doesnt count since it wasn't from him. He's with a different network.

SoCalBronco
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
It's hard for me to imagine a worse realistic option.

Why?

Whoever is the coach is going to have to hire a DC and if there's a true seperation, the Defense will be addressed in the draft regardless, by the exact same people BTW (i.e. Xanders and the personnel guys). So the issue is his offense a good one? We saw for 14 years that it was. We KNOW we get a PROVEN running game regardless of the parts and the whole play action, rollout, boot game that made Plummer look good will fit Tebow's athletic ability well.

I am PRAYING they choose Dennison. That would restore some level of confidence that the people in charge aren't complete morons even though I'm almost certain that they are.

Drek
01-10-2011, 07:53 PM

You do know this is the EXACT method McDaniels used to fill out a large portion of his staff right?

And those "college level" guys all pretty much shat the bed

Why are you assuming he would have to choose former Broncos for the defense?

All we know is we would be going back to our old offense...that's it and that's a VERY GOOD THING:

1. An offense with a proven running game that fits our three best OL is just what Tebow needs.

2. An offense with alot of rollouts and PA's would be great for Tebow.

I would love to have Coach Dennison running this team...just get him a strong DC and we're good to go.

If all we're after is going back to Shanahan's version of the WCO/ZBS why wouldn't we just hire Kyle Shanahan? At least he's called plays for a couple years in the scheme, which is more than Dennison has ever done.

Hell, if the goal is to get back to the ZBS and a WCO passing system why not raid the Packers for offensive personnel? They run a ZBS variation as their base running attack and use a WCO with a lot of deep passes, one of Tebow's strengths.

If its all just about the ZBS then why not bring Stink in as our OL coach with Alex Gibbs as a part time advisor? There are better ways to get back to a ZBS than hiring a woefully under qualified candidate like Dennison with no ties worth noting to anything not Shanny/Kubes related.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 07:53 PM

Peter's been busy crafting a letter to Ramada about how their bath soaps are too small. Cut him some slack.

Dukes
01-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Dennison at head coach will make McD look like Bill Belicheck. I can't think of a worse candidate than Dennison.

bowtown
If all we're after is going back to Shanahan's version of the WCO/ZBS why wouldn't we just hire Kyle Shanahan? At least he's called plays for a couple years in the scheme, which is more than Dennison has ever done.

Or Mike Sherman.

OrangeSe7en
You do know this is the EXACT method McDaniels used to fill out a large portion of his staff right?

Hell, if the goal is to get back to the ZBS and a WCO passing system why not raid the Packers for offensive personnel? They run a ZBS variation as their base running attack and use a WCO with a lot of deep passes, one of Tebow's strengths.

If its all just about the ZBS then why not bring Stink in as our OL coach with Alex Gibbs as a part time advisor? There are better ways to get back to a ZBS than hiring a woefully under qualified candidate like Dennison with no ties worth noting to anything not Shanny/Kubes related.

Kubiaks version is probably better. They use a real fullback. And its performed better in recent years especially in terms of achieving balance.

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM

:pray:

Drek
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Right. Because someone is better just because they havent coached in Denver. LOL. You gotta love the internet.

So what awesome future DC does he have ties with?

Its not about where they've worked. Its the last time Dennison worked on a team with a quality defense he was an assistant and we won back to back titles. You know, over 10 years ago.

I'm just wondering what his basis for hiring a quality DC would be, since obviously his two mentors (Shanny and Kubes) never figured it out.

baja
01-10-2011, 07:58 PM
He has played LB, has been a ST coach, an OL coach, and also an offensive coordinator. Whether or not he's been great at any or all of those possibly isnt as important as the fact that he's done all of those. He's been involved in the game from a lot of different perspectives. <b> If he is a head coach that is the coordinator of coordinators, this could be especially useful.

It seems people are not buying into this idea but i sure am.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
So what awesome future DC does he have ties with?

Its not about where they've worked. Its the last time Dennison worked on a team with a quality defense he was an assistant and we won back to back titles. You know, over 10 years ago.

I'm just wondering what his basis for hiring a quality DC would be, since obviously his two mentors (Shanny and Kubes) never figured it out.

I dont know who Dennison would pick as the DC. Nor do I know who any of the HCs from the defensive side of the ball would pick.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
It seems people are not buying into this idea but i sure am.

There are a lot of people who look around the league and want what others have. Theyll want New Englands OC but without Tom Brady. What does that get you? Theres more to being a great head coach than being a great X and O guy. Part of its managing people and getting them to coach and play for you. People often forget that. But I see a lot of comments about wanting what someone else has minus the talent.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
He has played LB, has been a ST coach, an OL coach, and also an offensive coordinator. Whether or not he's been great at any or all of those possibly isnt as important as the fact that he's done all of those. He's been involved in the game from a lot of different perspectives. If he is a head coach that is the coordinator of coordinators, this could be especially useful.

Yeah he has been all over. Hey, what would you think of a guy that had a resume like this:

01 - Personel Assistant
02-03 - Defensive Coaching Assistant
04-08 - QB Coach
06-08 - OC

He's been all over. He'd probably make a great "coordinator of coordinators" too, huh?

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I dont know who Dennison would pick as the DC. Nor do I know who any of the HCs from the defensive side of the ball would pick.

What we do know is that at least a few of them have been associated with a quality DC in their coaching career. Dennison has not.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah he has been all over. Hey, what would you think of a guy that had a resume like this:

01 - Personel Assistant
02-03 - Defensive Coaching Assistant
04-08 - QB Coach
06-08 - OC

He's been all over. He'd probably make a great "coordinator of coordinators" too, huh?

Not a fan of that guys system, especially with out Tom Brady. I'd rather have a balanced offense like what you see in Houston.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Not a fan of that guys system, especially with out Tom Brady. I'd rather have a balanced offense like what you see in Houston.

You do realize that Dennison has only been in Houston one season right? That's not his offense. He doesn't call the plays or draw up the game plan. That's Kubiak's offense.

Tim
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM

I think your thinking of somebody else unless you consider ben mcdaniels every position coach of a team.

Drek
01-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Sure. But we can at least look at where those guys have worked and draw some conclusions.

For example...

Fox would very possibly retain McCoy, his QB coach from Carolina, and bring along his OL staff.

Fewell might just keep Studesville as his OC, since Studesville worked with him in Buffalo when Fewell was tasked with being the interim HC.

See how that works? We can look at their coaching histories and find worthwhile options.

With Dennison, well, we've seen everyone he's worked with unless you think there's a hidden gem in Houston's historically bad defense.

So either he's hiring a nobody and promoting them, keeping Martindale, hiring a retread like G-Rob, or he's letting his agent hook him up with a fellow client who may or may not be a good fit (didn't work so well last time an agent put together our HC/DC pairing).

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
You do realize that Dennison has only been in Houston one season right? That's not his offense. He doesn't call the plays or draw up the game plan. That's Kubiak's offense.

Yeah, I know where Dennison has been. He's seen both variations of this offense. Denver's offense used to be more like what Houston's is now. What's your point?

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Sure. But we can at least look at where those guys have worked and draw some conclusions.

For example...

Fox would very possibly retain McCoy, his QB coach from Carolina, and bring along his OL staff.

Fewell might just keep Studesville as his OC, since Studesville worked with him in Buffalo when Fewell was tasked with being the interim HC.

See how that works? We can look at their coaching histories and find worthwhile options.

With Dennison, well, we've seen everyone he's worked with unless you think there's a hidden gem in Houston's historically bad defense.

So either he's hiring a nobody and promoting them, keeping Martindale, hiring a retread like G-Rob, or he's letting his agent hook him up with a fellow client who may or may not be a good fit (didn't work so well last time an agent put together our HC/DC pairing).

Its amazing that your'e trying to find flaw with Dennison based on not knowing but you come back with Studesville as offensive coordinator.

Tim
01-10-2011, 08:13 PM
1. Rick has NEVER called plays. What makes you think he's qualified to do this and coach the team? He's a running/oline coach.

1. I don't think he will get hired here to be bonified o line, TE, rb coach. If he has had experience calling plays or not he is a bright guy who can coach.
2. Hurry wiki his name moron you have no idea
3. I'm sure tom nalen at OC will be a real success;)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-10-2011, 08:16 PM

GOD, I hope you're right.

elsid13
01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
What I discovered if it is hated on the Mane, then it is good thing for the team. If he was proclaimed as great choice, then it is failure about to happen.

Drek
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I think your thinking of somebody else unless you consider ben mcdaniels every position coach of a team.

Check our OL coach's resume. Only coached OL in college prior to getting the bump here.

Our WR coach has spent only six years in the NFL, all but one as a coach's assistant. That one he was a QB coach under Mike Martz, so basically a coach's assistant, immediately after which he dropped back down to assistant work.

Our TE coach was a career STs guy until we brought him here.

Roman Phifer is effectively our LB coach with Martindale moved up to DC and retaining his LB Coach role.

Nunnely and Donatell are the only two established positional coaches on our team to go with an OC and DC getting their first shots as coordinators.

elsid13
01-10-2011, 08:19 PM
If Dennison is the head coach I have good feeling that he is going to delegate the responsibility to the coordinators respectively, while maintaining a good relationship with the offense line. Unlike McDaniels I don't see him attempting to do everything.

Drek
01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Its amazing that your'e trying to find flaw with Dennison based on not knowing but you come back with Studesville as offensive coordinator.

Is using a little bit of brain power really asking this damn much?

At what point did I extol the virtues of hiring Fewell and having him retain Studesville?

In fact, that tie is one of the things that would make me very leary of Tebow, as we need an offensive leader who can develop Tebow. I'm just saying that we can infer what Fewell might do for assistants based on who he's worked with before.

Its also why I'm not a huge fan of Fox as DC. I could live with going back to a 4-3. His OL coaches would be great additions. But keeping McCoy as OC would be pretty mediocre.

See what I'm saying? I can look at those guys track records and get a feel for who they might want as assistants, which makes me not want them. With Dennison its basically "what old Bronco might he hire" which is even worse because all the talent in that coaching tree is currently under contract elsewhere.

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I know where Dennison has been. He's seen both variations of this offense. Denver's offense used to be more like what Houston's is now. What's your point?

Ummm... I'm pretty sure it was that it isn't Dennison's offense, and that he doesn't call plays or draw up the game plan, just like he said.

bronco0608
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
The only advantage of hiring a guy who is not a hot prospect is that he won't demand a say over personel decisions.

Neither Perry Fewell or Dennison has to the juice to demand that, and I like it.

Let the front office bring the players in, and let the coaches coach'em.

No more control freaks at head coach for the Broncos any more.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
1. I don't think he will get hired here to be bonified o line, TE, rb coach. If he has had experience calling plays or not he is a bright guy who can coach.
2. Hurry wiki his name moron you have no idea
3. I'm sure tom nalen at OC will be a real success;)

1. Well he bette bring in a guy who knows something about calling a game then, because he has ero experience at it.

2. You don't think I know who David Gibbs is? He sucked at every position he ever coached for us. I'm not interested in his father either, guy retires more often than Favre.

3. I'm just going to let this go and assume you were being glib.

Tim
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Check our OL coach's resume. Only coached OL in college prior to getting the bump here.

Our WR coach has spent only six years in the NFL, all but one as a coach's assistant. That one he was a QB coach under Mike Martz, so basically a coach's assistant, immediately after which he dropped back down to assistant work.

Our TE coach was a career STs guy until we brought him here.

Roman Phifer is effectively our LB coach with Martindale moved up to DC and retaining his LB Coach role.

Nunnely and Donatell are the only two established positional coaches on our team to go with an OC and DC getting their first shots as coordinators.
I don't need to check baron's resume to find out you are wrong

serious hops
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Yea, but Shanahan-lite is still under contract, so Kubiak-lite is the next best choice. Don't worry, though-- the defense is going to be totally different this time. Just wait and see.

Ray Finkle
01-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't even have words for the anger that would spew if this occurs....

the beginning of this commercial comes close...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FB1OBLbEdRs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FB1OBLbEdRs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Ummm... I'm pretty sure it was that it isn't Dennison's offense, and that he doesn't call plays or draw up the game plan, just like he said.

Based on having seen your posts before, I would question your capacity for that.

Likwid Kerruj
01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
If Peter King reported it, it won't happen.

No use arguing over it.

Drek
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't need to check baron's resume to find out you are wrong

About what? He was an assistant under Gibbs in Atlanta, then a TE coach for a few years. His only time actually running the entire OL was in college.

meangene
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Xanders and Dennison would be a complete, total, epic FAIL and doom us to being bottom dwellers for years. F-

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Based on having seen your posts before, I would question your capacity for that.

You would question my capacity to be pretty sure? That seems like a dumb thing to question.

ØrangeÇrush
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not a Dennison fan but this sounds like when he moved from ST coach to OL Coach a few years ago. We all **** on him about the fact that he never coached OL line, his experience was on defense, his ST teams sucked balls, etc. We were all pleasantly surprised than too. I wouldn't be angry if he was the hire, but I'd be really concerned about his QB Coach and OC.

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm not a Dennison fan but this sounds like when he moved from ST coach to OL Coach a few years ago. We all **** on him about the fact that he never coached OL line, his experience was on defense, his ST teams sucked balls, etc. We were all pleasantly surprised than too. I wouldn't be angry if he was the hire, but I'd be really concerned about his QB Coach and OC.

I wasn't pleasantly surprised when he took over the OL. He was coaching vets who already knew the system inside and out. They probably went to Nalen with questions more often than they went to Denny.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
You would question my capacity to be pretty sure? That seems like a dumb thing to question.

Yeah. I made a statement. I didn't ask a question.

baja
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Humm It's a strange group of bed fellows lining up behind Dennison

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Humm It's a strange group of bed fellows lining up behind Dennison

you dont think its the same group of people that are still mad that shanahan is gone, do you?

ØrangeÇrush
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I wasn't pleasantly surprised when he took over the OL. He was coaching vets who already knew the system inside and out. They probably went to Nalen with questions more often than they went to Denny.

No one was pleasantly surprised when took the OL job, they were surprised that he did a damn good job and he groomed a lot of lineman.

baja
01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
you dont think its the same group of people that are still mad that shanahan is gone, do you?

No

Because I'm in that group and I'm glad Mike has moved on.

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah. I made a statement. I didn't ask a question.

Man, you can't really be this dumb can you?

This is how our conversation just went.
Me:"Ummm... I'm pretty sure [he was saying] that it isn't Dennison's offense, and that he doesn't call plays or draw up the game plan, just like he said."

You:"Based on having seen your posts before, I would question your capacity for that." (where you bolded "I'm pretty sure)

Me:"You would question my capacity to be pretty sure? That seems like a dumb thing to question." (mocking you)

You:"Yeah. I made a statement. I didn't ask a question." -implying that you didn't ask a question when you said "I would question your capacity for that"

You're harping on reading comprehension, and you post something this moronic?

You aren't really that brain dead are you?

Man-Goblin
01-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Maybe we could pray he hires a good defensive coordinator that would probably be better suited for the job of head coach than him?

I keep trying to find the words to describe my reaction to Rick freaking Dennison becoming head coach of the Denver Broncos. I came up with "frightened", "angry", "inconsolable", and "belligerently drunk".

I'm only two of those right now.

baja
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
"Oh Ye of little Faith"

Drek
01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
"Oh Ye of little Faith"

Keeping Xanders has extended my good faith as far as it'll go. Now find an HC who isn't a muppet and I'll be happy.

~Crash~
01-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Dennison is the perfect guy to bridge both Schemes . Making something out of this mess . He will be good for this team .

~Crash~
01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Keeping Xanders has extended my good faith as far as it'll go. Now find an HC who isn't a muppet and I'll be happy.

So you think Denision is not going to be his own man . that is silly if you think he does not think of some of what he has learned over the years are not deeper than you think hell I bet he played under Dan Reeves

Archer81
01-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Dennison is the perfect guy to bridge both Schemes . Making something out of this mess . He will be good for this team .

How do you figure?

baja
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Drek listen to me!

If Xanders can't hack it Elway will tramp his ass.

You are underestimating John Elway.

Drek
01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
So you think Denision is not going to be his own man . that is silly if you think he does not think of some of what he has learned over the years are not deeper than you think hell I bet he played under Dan Reeves

He's been an OC twice and never called the plays on Sunday. Sounds like a muppet to me. Gets the OC title out of respect but he's there to just coach his unit and serve the HC as a second in command.

I'm sure Dennison is a great guy and if we had a real power structure (distinct GM and HC roles) he might have been a great replacement for Shanahan where he'd have some good assistants already waiting for him and a good GM to help him find the others.

But bringing Dennison into this mess now and pairing him with Xanders just reeks of epic fail.

Drek
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Drek listen to me!

If Xanders can't hack it Elway will tramp his ass.

You are underestimating John Elway.

Sure. After another wasted year and the misuse of the #2 overall pick. Not to mention one less year on the clock for the new HC before fans call for his head too.

A real GM would have us in position to do this search right and be taken seriously. It would have sent the clear message that Elway is the ownership representative, not the shot caller, and everyone nationwide would feel better about the jobs we have here. Instead now we're a big unknown with an owner who's gone into seclusion and no clear idea if Elway is just waiting to grab more power, if he's just a figure head, if Xanders is getting the boot soon, etc..

If we never get Mularkey in for an interview that tells me bad things about Xanders, FYI. Xanders talks up how he was involved in selecting Mike Smith. You'd think if that was the case Dimitroff and Smith would have nothing but good things to say about him and Mularkey would look forward to working with him. Instead we're wait listed and Elway is acting like its an interview they'll never revisit. Makes you think just how much more turnover we're going to see until a real long term core is put into the FO/coaching staff.

TD30
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Almost every former bronco player that's been on sports radio this week say dennison would be there pick. They also say he had the best interview when we hired mcdaniels. I say hire him

montrose
01-10-2011, 10:03 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0323/nfl_u_rdennison1_200.jpg

He wears a hoodie, can't hire him.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 10:04 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0323/nfl_u_rdennison1_200.jpg

He wears a hoodie, can't hire him.

Uh Oh.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
He was actually the one guy i didnt want, but i hope im wrong

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Yay, a bridge between two ineffective schemes. I feel cozy now.

Hamrob
01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh goody, that's just what we need. Another ****ing coach that focus's on the offense. God help the Broncos. We can go 6-10 or 8-8 with the best damn offense in the league.Give the guy a break...he was a LB for the Broncos for 10yrs. He might know just a little about defenses!

Hamrob
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
you dont think its the same group of people that are still mad that shanahan is gone, do you?Don't you think that...maybe...just maybe the rest of that coaching list...well, sucks???

baja
01-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Sure. After another wasted year and the misuse of the #2 overall pick. Not to mention one less year on the clock for the new HC before fans call for his head too.

A real GM would have us in position to do this search right and be taken seriously. It would have sent the clear message that Elway is the ownership representative, not the shot caller, and everyone nationwide would feel better about the jobs we have here. Instead now we're a big unknown with an owner who's gone into seclusion and no clear idea if Elway is just waiting to grab more power, if he's just a figure head, if Xanders is getting the boot soon, etc..

If we never get Mularkey in for an interview that tells me bad things about Xanders, FYI. Xanders talks up how he was involved in selecting Mike Smith. You'd think if that was the case Dimitroff and Smith would have nothing but good things to say about him and Mularkey would look forward to working with him. Instead we're wait listed and Elway is acting like its an interview they'll never revisit. Makes you think just how much more turnover we're going to see until a real long term core is put into the FO/coaching staff.

Well I can certainly see how you could come to feel that way. That's why I suggested finding some faith.;D

I think Elway if going to do a much better job than you think. Elway will not wait a whole season to get rid of Xanders if he feels he is wrong for the job.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Don't you think that...maybe...just maybe the rest of that coaching list...well, sucks???

No.

Kaylore
01-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Most of the people wanting him as head coach just like that he's a Shanahan disciple.

serious hops
01-10-2011, 10:39 PM
"Oh Ye of little Faith"

What can I do for ya?

baja
01-10-2011, 10:40 PM
What can I do for ya?
ha ;D

SoCalBronco
01-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Shanny Ball on offense returns!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TheReverend
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM

It's very hard to blow #2 overall (in b4 lists of #2 busts without acknowledging injuries/lack of coaching development/poor work ethic). We should be concerned about rounds 2-7, but not #2. I'd include round 2, since that's absolutely not a "scout" round, though Alphonso Smith and Quinn evidence otherwise

footstepsfrom#27
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
This. He's my last choice among what they're considering, and I'm not impressed with any of them quite frankly.

Where are the really impressive candidates we should be talking to? I dont' see a single one.

Taco John
01-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I can't understand why anybody would be big on Dennison. I mean, I would accept Dennison, but I can't understand what he's done to make anyone push for this.

Taco John
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
This. He's my last choice among what they're considering, and I'm not impressed with any of them quite frankly.

Where are the really impressive candidates we should be talking to? I dont' see a single one.

I think Rivera is the best of this coaching class. I wish he'd have been higher on our priority list.

footstepsfrom#27
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
It's very hard to blow #2 overall (in b4 lists of #2 busts without acknowledging injuries/lack of coaching development/poor work ethic). We should be concerned about rounds 2-7, but not #2. I'd include round 2, since that's absolutely not a "scout" round, though Alphonso Smith and Quinn evidence otherwise
That's a good point. This draft is deep in D-line players, but are we smart enough to find the right guys? On the other hand, if we land a 2nd for Orton, and the lack of quality QB's available in FA make me think that's more possible than I at first thought...we'd have three #2 picks, at least two in the top half of the round. That's enough to move up twice into the first round in the 20's or maybe one move into the top 15 or even higher. We can get at least three defensive starters, possibly four out of this draft even if we dont' hit on anything late.

footstepsfrom#27
01-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I can't understand why anybody would be big on Dennison. I mean, I would accept Dennison, but I can't understand what he's done to make anyone push for this.
I always thought he was a weak link on this staff, now he could be leading this staff.

SoDak Bronco
01-10-2011, 11:05 PM
If we hire Dennison I am boycotting going to any games next season. I am not going to spend my time and money on a team that isn't going anywhere.

SoCalBronco
01-10-2011, 11:07 PM
It's very hard to blow #2 overall

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/d4/fullj.638f5a548723816f7975c1b2bdbe8a44/ap-8ed38fc9cda24e2ebd6d432644483c51.jpg

TheReverend
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/d4/fullj.638f5a548723816f7975c1b2bdbe8a44/ap-8ed38fc9cda24e2ebd6d432644483c51.jpg

Oh man that should've been the caption!

"It's very hard to blow #2 overall"

footstepsfrom#27
01-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I think Rivera is the best of this coaching class. I wish he'd have been higher on our priority list.
He had major talent to work with in San Diego, so I would expect him to produce with that talent. It's tough to know how he'd do in the head job though...without that talent. That's why I think a guy like Greg Schiano is so impressive. He inherited crap and turned it into something special, did it according to his own plan and he maintained credibility off the field as well. That's the situation we have here...needing to rebuild and do it the right way.

Can a guy who has never rebuilt a team do that? Maybe...maybe not.

Taco John
01-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Every time I see that picture I give Requiem a mental high five for this line:

"I can't believe John Elway doesn't like pepperoni ****ing pizza!"

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Oh man that should've been the caption!

"It's very hard to blow #2 overall"

Please don't say that out loud. The Leaf gods might hear.

SoCalBronco
01-10-2011, 11:36 PM

LOL

From the looks of it, Xanders appears to be quite fond of pepperoni pizza too.

broncocalijohn
01-11-2011, 01:00 AM

I think if we "accept" Dennison, then we have become a franchise that is bottom of the barrel. I would rather look at Nolan before Dennison. While his offense is good, I want Defense minded thinking from the HC. We have ****ted on that side of the ball for too long.

Caveat Lector
01-11-2011, 03:23 AM
I think if we "accept" Dennison, then we have become a franchise that is bottom of the barrel. I would rather look at Nolan before Dennison. While his offense is good, I want Defense minded thinking from the HC. We have ****ted on that side of the ball for too long.

Pretty much. I don't want a relic of the Shanahan era - we gave him the arse for a reason...

Drek
01-11-2011, 06:07 AM

1. but your caveat involves coaching development, which goes directly to the need for some real qualified assistants.

2. Smith and Quinn went about where they were expected to go. They just weren't developed correctly and haven't put the work in to get better.

Thats the big crap shoot of the draft though. Its easy to look and say "well, this guy has first round talent and that guy has 2nd round talent" but you don't know how any of these guys will react when you hand them all that money. That is the biggest roll of the dice you're taking on 99% of the draft pool.

Also happens to be what makes Tebow so special. You know that the work ethic won't change due to money.

Xanders was completely sold on McDaniels being the best HC candidate he ever interviewed. Are we now going to trust those personality evaluation skills with the #2 overall pick?

UberBroncoMan
01-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Has anyone taken into consideration that it may be King's dog doing all the tweets?

TonyR
01-11-2011, 06:43 AM
He had major talent to work with in San Diego, so I would expect him to produce with that talent.

He also had a lot of issues and injuries to deal with. Shawne Merriman used to be the key player on that defense, and one of the best players in the NFL, and you know what happened there. Jamal Williams was the key to their DL and he aged and broke down. Antonio Cromartie was a big up and comer before his effort seemed to drop off. The Chargers don't exactly have a big name defense and yet it was one of the best in the NFL this year.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 06:45 AM

It was stuffed crust, actually. And funnier with stuffed crust.

Drek
01-11-2011, 06:52 AM
It was stuffed crust, actually. And funnier with stuffed crust.

Yeah. I mean who the **** doesn't like pepperoni?

TonyR
01-11-2011, 06:53 AM
The Broncos' brass then will narrow its list to two, maybe three finalists and call them back for second interviews. It's possible the team will interview one or two more candidates early next week. The team hopes to have its new head coach hired by the middle of next week.

Read more: Dennison interviews for Broncos coaching job today - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17060662#ixzz1Ajc8I9a1
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 06:54 AM

Me.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 07:18 AM

me too....not on pizza.

bowtown
01-11-2011, 07:19 AM
me too....not on pizza.

Reading you loud and clear... wink... wink.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Shanny Ball on offense returns!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v46plhmxXU4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v46plhmxXU4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

NFLBRONCO
01-11-2011, 07:56 AM
The same system and issues that produced 1 playoff win in 12 yrs. I don't understand why FO and fans have a hard on for this stale regime.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 07:59 AM
The same system and issues that produced 1 playoff win in 12 yrs. I don't understand why FO and fans have a hard on for this stale regime.

It's familiar and nostalgia.

frerottenextelway
01-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Dennison is a smart guy and a good coach, but apparently anything that had any past association to Shanahan has cooties.

CEH
01-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Forget offense, I'm wondering how Dennison will sell a defensive scheme when he has come from two of the worst defensive organizations in the last 10 years. I know he didn't have direct access but how is he going to sell what he's learned to put a D together.

Denver better be careful.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Dennison is a smart guy and a good coach, but apparently anything that had any past association to Shanahan has cooties.

More like anything Shanahan-grown has done literally nothing in half a decade.

We just fired an offensive minded guy who put up a lot of yards, no points and no defense. Do we really want to do it again?

frerottenextelway
01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
More like anything Shanahan-grown has done literally nothing in half a decade.

We just fired an offensive minded guy who put up a lot of yards, no points and no defense. Do we really want to do it again?

If he had the same resume under a coach other than Mike Shanahan, I think there are certain people who wouldn't be so close minded about looking at Coach Dennison.

I think his offense would be the most tailor-made for Tebow.

He played defense in the NFL, is a smart guy and a good coach, I dont think he would be completely lost in helping to form a competent Defense.

Fewell is still the choice I want most, and the guy who I think we're going to choose.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 08:13 AM
If he had the same resume under a coach other than Mike Shanahan, I think there are certain people who wouldn't be so close minded about looking at Coach Dennison.

He played defense in the NFL, is a smart guy and a good coach, I dont think he would be completely lost in helping to form a competent Defense.

Fewell is still the choice I want most, and the guy who I think we're going to choose.

No, I want someone who's been a head coach or at least has more experience. We tried the young coach thing. We need someone who will have some gravitas from the get-go.

frerottenextelway
01-11-2011, 08:18 AM
No, I want someone who's been a head coach or at least has more experience. We tried the young coach thing. We need someone who will have some gravitas from the get-go.

Dennison is old enough to be McD's father, not sure I'd call him young.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Fewell, Fox, Meelarky, otherwise I will go ape ****.

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Dennison is old enough to be McD's father, not sure I'd call him young.

More experience being the key point here. He's been an offensive coordinator for two bad teams for like four years? And in all cases he worked under coaches who like to call their own plays and have a heavy hand in how the offenses are run. I don't think you could say Dennison has had his coaching training wheels off yet.

TonyR
01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Dennison hoping that familiarity gets him in the door in Denver
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 11, 2011, 9:51 AM EST

Broncos fans seem thrilled with John Elway as the franchise’s new leader, but less fired up about the team’s head coaching candidates.

The candidate the Broncos organization knows best may be the most unknown outside the team. Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison has worked with or played for all five men on the Broncos’ selection committee, according to the Denver Post.

Dennison interviewed with the team for the head coaching job two years ago; we’d think he has a real chance to close the deal this time or he wouldn’t get a second crack. He interviews Tuesday, along with Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

Choosing Dennison could be a tough sell because he doesn’t even run the offense in Houston — Gary Kubiak does.

The Broncos have also struggled with offensive coaches like Mike Shanahan and Josh McDaniels that seemed to have no idea how to put together a quality defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/11/dennison-hoping-that-familiarity-gets-him-in-the-door-in-denver/

oubronco
01-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Forget offense, I'm wondering how Dennison will sell a defensive scheme when he has come from two of the worst defensive organizations in the last 10 years. I know he didn't have direct access but how is he going to sell what he's learned to put a D together.

Denver better be careful.

"My plans for defense are to be aggressive," Dennison said. "From watching teams who are aggressive, they are hard to prepare for. I think it's a matter of finding the right coordinator who fits with who we have in personnel."

Read more: Dennison interviews for Broncos coaching job today - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17060662#ixzz1Ak4MM8bM
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

bowtown
01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
"My plans for defense are to be aggressive," Dennison said. "From watching teams who are aggressive, they are hard to prepare for. I think it's a matter of finding the right coordinator who fits with who we have in personnel."

Read more: Dennison interviews for Broncos coaching job today - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17060662#ixzz1Ak4MM8bM

I hope that's not the extent of his plan. I could have that plan.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2011, 08:47 AM

my plan is to win the lottery today, from watching people that win the lottery, they are rich. I think it is a matter of finding the right combination of numbers who fits what is on my ticket....

montrose
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Who are some potential assistants Dennison could bring in? It's vital to me that he gets the right OC and QB Coach to work with Tebow as well as a strong DC. Based on his time here and in Houston, here are some guys that you can link to Dennison that could be available:

* Frank Bush - Was DC with Houston, coached LBs and secondary with Denver
* Ed Donatell - Currently DB coach with Denver, coached on SB staffs with Dennison in same role
* Greg Knapp - Current QB Coach in Houston, has 8 years experience as an OC across the league
* Bruce Matthews - Offensive Assistant with Texans, former HOF lineman
* Ray Rhodes - Currently Defensive Assistant with Houston, was DC with Broncos
* Marc Lubick - Sonny's son is currently Offensive Assistant with Houston
* Keith Burns - On Denver's staff as ST assistant, coached with Dennison and played on his ST units
* Jacob Burney - Yeah I know, current DL coach with the Redskins - former DL coach with Broncos
* Bob Slowik - I know, even worse, current DB coach with Washington, former Denver DC
* Jeremy Bates - Current OC of Seahawks, shared those responsiblities with Dennison in Denver (don't know how you could get him out of Seattle)
* Frank Pollack - Assistant OL coach with Houston
* David Gibbs - DB Coach with Houston and former DB Coach with Broncos
* Alex Gibbs - Maybe a long shot, but worth putting on the list - former OL coach with Broncos

* Technically, you can link Wink Martindale, Mike McCoy, Mike Priefer, Clancy Barone, Adam Gase, Ben McDaniels, Wayne Nunnely and Roman Phifer as all coaches currently on the staff that Dennison coached with in 2009 - but they were brought in by Josh McDaniels and don't have any real ties to Dennison or his system.

Obviously he could hire some guys he hasn't worked with before, and I may be missing some names but there's the list I came up with based on who he's worked with.

oubronco
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
CEH was wondering what Dennison would try to sell to the Broncos so there you go

bowtown
01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Who are some potential assistants Dennison could bring in? It's vital to me that he gets the right OC and QB Coach to work with Tebow as well as a strong DC. Based on his time here and in Houston, here are some guys that you can link to Dennison that could be available:

* Ed Donatell - Currently DB coach with Denver, coached on SB staffs with Dennison in same role
* Greg Knapp - Current QB Coach in Houston, has 8 years experience as an OC across the league
* Keith Burns - On Denver's staff as ST assistant, coached with Dennison and played on his ST units
* Jacob Burney - Yeah I know, current DL coach with the Redskins - former DL coach with Broncos
* Bob Slowik - I know, even worse, current DB coach with Washington, former Denver DC
* Jeremy Bates - Current OC of Seahawks, shared those responsiblities with Dennison in Denver (don't know how you could get him out of Seattle)
* Alex Gibbs - Maybe a long shot, but worth putting on the list - former OL coach with Broncos

Make it stop.

Taco John
01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Out of these candidates, I think I want Fox. But I'd accept Dennison if it went down like that. I'm not sure if some people here have gotten the news, but the head coach isn't going to be responsible for "putting together a defense." That's going to be the job of the front office and the defensive coordinator. The head coach will be responsible for managing his coaching staff.

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM

* Technically, you can link Wink Martindale, Mike McCoy, Mike Priefer, Clancy Barone, Adam Gase, Ben McDaniels, Wayne Nunnely and Roman Phifer as all coaches currently on the staff that Dennison coached with in 2009 - but they were brought in by Josh McDaniels and don't have any real ties to Dennison or his system.

Obviously he could hire some guys he hasn't worked with before, and I may be missing some names but there's the list I came up with based on who he's worked with.

this literally just makes me sad. fans will get what they want, reincarnation of the 2000-2008 broncos. familiarity is more important than winning.

UberBroncoMan
01-11-2011, 08:59 AM
The reason Shanahan never produced anything was defense. The one year we made it to the Championship game was because of defense. Offense was never really the problem...so I wouldn't mind going back to that offense, so long as we try to get a Pitt/Baltimore style of defense going on. Let's be honest too. Tebow would be a great fit in the play action/role-out west coast offense that Elway and Plummer excelled in due to their mobility.

CEH
01-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks

I think Josh's first choice for DC was Dom Capers who had an intern job with NE in '2008. Somehow you would have to guarentee a decent coordinator with Dennison where Fox could still build a defense.

I suspect the FO is walking on egg shells knowing they better no F this up

Kaylore
01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
this literally just makes me sad. fans will get what they want, reincarnation of the 2000-2008 broncos. familiarity is more important than winning.

He won't be hired so quit worrying.

Drek
01-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Out of these candidates, I think I want Fox. But I'd accept Dennison if it went down like that. I'm not sure if some people here have gotten the news, but the head coach isn't going to be responsible for "putting together a defense." That's going to be the job of the front office and the defensive coordinator. The head coach will be responsible for managing his coaching staff.

Which means he'll be hiring the defensive coordinator, the guy you just said would be responsible for putting together the defense.

If it wouldn't be so depressing as a Broncos fan I'd almost want Dennison for the laughs.

Just picture his interview process for a potential DC.

Dennison "So I want an aggressive defense, what do you think of aggressive defenses?"

DC Candidate "Well aggressive defenses are good. A lot of good defensive teams are very aggressive. Our goal would be to have a good defense right?"

Dennison "Yeah, I'm leaning towards that. Mike and Gary apparently never wanted to give it a shot but I'm my own man, ya know? Anyhow so you'd bring an aggressive defense right? The defensive players would be real aggressive and defend the opponent aggressively right?"

DC Candidate "Of course, of course. We'd definitely look to do things very aggressively on the defensive side of the football field."

Dennison "Awesome! You're hired! Now more importantly, Mike Shanahan: Greatest Coach ever or Greatest Person ever? ****, who am I kidding! Obviously Greatest Person ever! HA!"

bendog
01-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I think what TJ meant is that no matter who is hired as the HC, the FO will have input in the systems. If the guy hired has a DC background (Fox Fewell) one reason he'll get the job is that the FO likes what he says in the interview about what scheme he envisions using, and if the guy is more an OC type (Dennison) the FO will approve of how he envisons using Tebow. The FO will have to sign off on what scheme is envisioned on the other side of the ball too. That is, any coordinators offered jobs will be pre-approved by the FO, and the schemes they use will be consistent with that the HC said he wanted during his interview before being hired.

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll LMAO if Dennison becomes the next Broncos HC. I remember when posters on the OMane wanted to crucify him claiming he had now idea how to coach the offensive line... hehehehe...

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I'll LMAO if Dennison becomes the next Broncos HC. I remember when posters on the OMane wanted to crucify him claiming he had now idea how to coach the offensive line... hehehehe...

yea no question. almost want him to get hired for the pure hilarity of it, back to 8-8 we go!

TheReverend
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
yea no question. almost want him to get hired for the pure hilarity of it, back to 8-8 we go!

That'd be a massive improvement...

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
That'd be a massive improvement...

until 4 years from now when they are still 8-8, maybe a one and done playoff appearance.

bendog
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM

That was just ignorant. Shanny had Gibbs teaching Dennison the position. Shanny was training Dennison in all phases of the game. I used to growl when he was special teams coach, but at the time I though most of the problem was how Shanny consistently dumped youth to bring in vet FA's, and Shanny just short changed spec teams with his final rosters, and expected the coach to coach around that.

rocket88
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Seriously, when the past was still here, everybody wanted to get rid of it. So now everybody wants it back?

A little tidbit from Legwold in the Denver Post.....

But they hired Elway and retained general manager Brian Xanders, as well as the bulk of the college and pro scouting staffs. Elway has already talked about the need to avoid a "one-man show" of the head coach calling all the shots.

That's what Elway said the team had with McDaniels — though McDaniels would likely argue he made decisions because nobody else would, which is exactly how he has portrayed the situation to others in the league — and has said that's what they want to avoid with the next head coach.

Read more: Q&A: Gruden and Cowher missing from Broncos' wish list for two reasons: power, money - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17058483#ixzz1AkMMm0z9

Tombstone RJ
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Seriously, when the past was still here, everybody wanted to get rid of it. So now everybody wants it back?

A little tidbit from Legwold in the Denver Post.....

But they hired Elway and retained general manager Brian Xanders, as well as the bulk of the college and pro scouting staffs. Elway has already talked about the need to avoid a "one-man show" of the head coach calling all the shots.

That's what Elway said the team had with McDaniels — though McDaniels would likely argue he made decisions because nobody else would, which is exactly how he has portrayed the situation to others in the league — and has said that's what they want to avoid with the next head coach.

Read more: Q&A: Gruden and Cowher missing from Broncos' wish list for two reasons: power, money - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17058483#ixzz1AkMMm0z9

The whole McD/Xanders relationship is a real mystery. Xanders claims McD called all the shots (at times, without discussing the moves with Xanders) and McD claims nobody (including Xanders?) was willing to step up to the plate on decisions so he had to make them for the team.

Wow, what a screwed up front office. Of course, much of this is damage controll by both sides but the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

bronco militia
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
That was just ignorant. Shanny had Gibbs teaching Dennison the position. Shanny was training Dennison in all phases of the game. I used to growl when he was special teams coach, but at the time I though most of the problem was how Shanny consistently dumped youth to bring in vet FA's, and Shanny just short changed spec teams with his final rosters, and expected the coach to coach around that.

nice post.....IMO, it doesn't matter who you have coaching special teams. The quality of depth and the health of the team are bigger factors

rocket88
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
The whole McD/Xanders relationship is a real mystery. Xanders claims McD called all the shots (at times, without discussing the moves with Xanders) and McD claims nobody (including Xanders?) was willing to step up to the plate on decisions so he had to make them for the team.

Wow, what a screwed up front office. Of course, much of this is damage controll by both sides but the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, there is no way to ever really know what happened. It's just that things like this cause a further erosion in whatever trust you might have in the remaining FO personnel.

bloodsunday
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
You read it here first: I think Denver hires a coach.

The Moops
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
King tweets more than anyone I've ever seen . . . most of the time it's replying to fans who call him names. Well-deserved names, I might add.

Archer81
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Good call, Peter...