PDA

View Full Version : Name New Head Coach, v3.0

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Gary Miller:
Nothing official but I'm getting signals Broncos may not add any other candidates. Also getting anti-Koetter tweets from ASU fans.

Soooo, lets make this an official poll.

Rohirrim
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
I couldn't even make a wild guess at this point.

BroncosMT
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
There is nothing really appealing about that list IMO

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
perry or mike mularkey are my top 2 at this point.

Doggcow
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I want Marty Morningwig from Philly.

He knows how to develop mobile lefty's.

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
not who you wnat, who you think it will actually be.

Rohirrim
01-10-2011, 01:02 PM
My wild guess? Fox.

oubronco
If they don't add more to the list i'll be disappointed. I'd like for them to at least take a look at the coaches on the teams in the playoffs

tsiguy96
honestly, dont see how any of them fit. we are slightly better suited to 3-4 due to LB skills and depth being far greater than DL, so that knocks fox and fewell off. dennison is gonna bring back socal's beloved zone blocking, but another shanahan disciple need we do not. i still think mularkey is best fit for this team, but may not be an option.

BroncosMT
01-10-2011, 01:04 PM
if I had to choose I would take Fox or Fewell......I would have loved Rivera.....dang. Fox I think could do some good things and is the best of this list IMO

LetsGoBroncos
Yep, I'm not overly excited about any of them. I think it will be Dennison

bronco militia
I want Marty Morningwig from Philly.

He knows how to develop mobile lefty's.

I don't get the love for this guy:

During the 2001–2002 seasons, Mornhinweg was the head coach of the Detroit Lions, where he compiled a 5-27 record.

2KBack
01-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I might have missed it, but I don't remember seeing that there is some official list of candidates. We know who's been scheduled, but there's a ton of speculation out there without confirmation. Seems odd to report that there are no more being added to a list, when no one actually knows who's actually on the supposed list anyway.

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't get the love for this guy:

During the 2001–2002 seasons, Mornhinweg was the head coach of the Detroit Lions, where he compiled a 5-27 record.

to be fair, it took a new GM for them to actually start winning.

but i dont think a coaching stint 10 years ago should preclude you from having one ever again.

bronco militia
01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I might have missed it, but I don't remember seeing that there is some official list of candidates. We know who's been scheduled, but there's a ton of speculation out there without confirmation. Seems odd to report that there are no more being added to a list, when no one actually knows who's actually on the supposed list anyway.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/headcoachingsearch.html

LittleFloyd
01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I look at the candidates and throw up a little in my mouth. None are the sexy picks. I just wonder if it even matters, get a hire, name the OC & DC and go from there.

~Crash~
Rick Dennison

bronco militia
to be fair, it took a new GM for them to actually start winning.

but i dont think a coaching stint 10 years ago should preclude you from having one ever again.

going 5-27 should Hilarious!

Pick Six
I picked Fewell. With my "luck" in picks, it likely WON'T be Fewell...Hilarious!

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
ya know, gregg williams isnt a bad choice. sure they got torched by seahawks, but even the best defenses year in and year out give up a big one. and seattle, from what i heard last week, has the best homefield advantage in NFL over last 10 years...

i reallllly want to stay in an aggressive 3-4 defense.

cmhargrove
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Still holding out for the best candidate. Our defense will definitely "bulk up" and have the best supplements money can buy. If you mess with this coach, he'll kick your ass...

2KBack
01-10-2011, 01:11 PM

So The assumption is that that is going to be it I suppose.

Not sure if I believe it, but it would be cool if one of those guys put together a great interview.

colonelbeef
01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I really dont like any of those candidates

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
UPDATE: rivera to carolina. can a mod remove his name?

Irish Stout
01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Link?

Kaylore
01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I vote: Dom Capers. :approve:

Wow, that's a lot of people that think we're getting Fox. He's going to the Browns.

crush17
01-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Not seeing that anywhere- other than he got a 2nd interview?

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Link?

roto:

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Panthers are expected to name Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera the new head coach in Carolina on Tuesday.
Rivera is already contacting staff members, and FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that the Panthers have begun informing previous interviewees that they'll no longer be part of the search. Prior to getting the job in Carolina, Rivera interviewed for a whopping eight head coaching positions, often as a means for those teams to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Rivera, 49, will become the fourth head coach in Panthers history. All four -- also Dom Capers, George Seifert, and John Fox -- were former defensive coordinators.

NFLBRONCO
01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
No Dennison or Studs I'd be ok with hire

TonyR
01-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Remember when I predicted that he'd be hired before we even had him in for an interview and you blasted me?

Bigdawg26
01-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Ok then give me Dennison, Fewell, or Capers

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Remember when I predicted that he'd be hired before we even had him in for an interview and you blasted me?

no, but wish we did get him in.

Gcver2ver3
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
my vote hasn't changed...

i still believe it'll be Pretty Ricky...

serious hops
01-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm afraid they're going to stick us with Dennison. . . bastages!

Taco John
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I didn't understand the poll, so I voted for who I wanted. I picked Rivera. Apparently he's out. All the other names... meh.

ColoradoBuff
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
perry or mike mularkey are my top 2 at this point.

that's who i am hoping for!

strafen
01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Harbaugh...

BroncoInferno
01-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Elway is quoted by Peter King as saying he "definitely" wanted a guy with head coaching experience, either at the pro or college level. That would seemingly eliminate Dennison as a candidate. So, why even bring him in for an interview? My theory: they want want to hire one of the defensive-minded guys as head coach (I'd prefer Fox, but he may be out of our price range, so I'm going to guess Fewell) and pair them with Dennison as assistant HC/offensive coordinator.

ØrangeÇrush
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm going Mike Mularky. I want a defensive HC, but he makes too much sense in that he can devise an innovative offense that will utilize the skill of our QB.

TonyR
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Elway is quoted by Peter King as saying he "definitely" wanted a guy with head coaching experience, either at the pro or college level. That would seemingly eliminate Dennison as a candidate. So, why even bring him in for an interview? My theory: they want want to hire one of the defensive-minded guys as head coach (I'd prefer Fox, but he may be out of our price range, so I'm going to guess Fewell) and pair them with Dennison as assistant HC/offensive coordinator.

That actually makes a lot of sense. That would explain away why they didn't interview Rivera.

BroncoInferno
01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
That actually makes a lot of sense. That would explain away why they didn't interview Rivera.

The complication with that theory is that in order to hire a guy under contract with another team, you have to offer him a promotion. Dennison is already assistant head coach/OC with Houston, so they would have to agree to release him from his contract. They might not go along with that. Same thing applies to Mularkey. So, I'd venture a guess that the fall back for OC would be Koetter, who is just an OC with Jacksonville, so we could offer the assistant HC promotion. Let me make clear that I am not necessarily endorsing this move, but it's just a hunch based on Elway's comment that he "definitely" wants a guy with prior HC experience as head coach. If Fox is willing to take a pay cut (and, really, he's going to have to in order to land another HC gig, no one is going to pay him $6.5 million, the question is whether or not what we are willing to pay is in line with the sort of pay cut he's willing to take), I'd say he's probably going to be the first choice with Dennison as first choice for OC/assistant HC. But financial/contractual complications will likely prevent that from coming off. So, I'm going to say Fewell with the Dennison getting offered a lateral move for more money from Houston, and Koetter getting the job if that fails. I'm assuming that Mularkey is not going to leave a playoff team with an established young QB for anything other than an HC gig, so that's why I don't mention him as one of the realistic OC possibilities.

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
that's who i am hoping for!

i talked myself out of perry because i absolutely do not want a 4-3 defense. williams or mularkey!

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM

they will not allow dennison to leave for essentially the same position.

Man-Goblin
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
i talked myself out of perry because i absolutely do not want a 4-3 defense. williams or mularkey!

Why? We're not any closer to having a good defense with either scheme. Both can be successful and with almost half the league running the 3-4 nowadays there's no longer a competitive advantage in the draft.

Wouldn't you just want the best coach regardless of what he's going to run?

ColoradoBuff
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Williams runs a 4-3 at New Orleans and not sure who Mularkey would bring in as DC and what defense he would run.....but Atlanta runs a 4-3 as well.

montrose
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
not who you wnat, who you think it will actually be.

I think it'll be Dennison.

NFLBRONCO
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM

joy joy

Los Broncos
01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm going with Fox, just a guess.

Taco John
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
I voted for Rivera (who is my top choice), but I think at this point it will be Dennison.

broncolife
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Its Gruden or Cowher. were just bringing all these nobodies to throw everyone off the scent. We cant bring one of these big names in without hiring them or we might start a bidding war. So were interviewing everyone else on our list so when we do bring one of them in we can compare them to these other scrubs and see if we really do want to go with the big name. :) Were the broncos we are the masters at making wierd shiat happen.
Jk

listopencil
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Aw, man. They put Perry Fewell's info in Studesvilles box. What-they can't tell the two black guys apart?

TonyR
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM

But then what to make of Elway's comments about head coaching experience? And Rivera, who at a glance is far superior to Dennison, not getting an interview?

mr007
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I think it's going to be Williams and honestly I also think he's the best candidate.

Tim
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I said dennison dec. 6 and i'll say dennison today, the best man for the job in my opinion

Hamrob
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Dennison
Fox
Fewell

Dennison because of his ties to the Broncos and because he is the smartest guy on the list. I think he would be very good at managing a team. However, I don't believe he's the best OC out there. So, if we hire Dennison...it would be very important that he hire two outstanding Coordinators to support him.

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Dennison
Fox
Fewell

Dennison because of his ties to the Broncos and because he is the smartest guy on the list. I think he would be very good at managing a team. However, I don't believe he's the best OC out there. So, if we hire Dennison...it would be very important that he hire two outstanding Coordinators to support him.

you can say that about every poor head coach in the NFL. see todd haley, and see the results of the offense after it was announced weis wouldnt be back next year. blown out twice in a row to end their season.

TonyR
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't know why they're saying this but just passing along fyi...

Fewell expected to stay with Giants
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/fewell_expected_to_stay_with_giants_qrQNZuXZcinnlC mO8AsklN

Perry Fewell more likely to return to Giants after Panthers begin negotiations with Ron Rivera
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/01/11/2011-01-11_perry_fewell_more_likely_to_return_to_giants_af ter_panthers_begin_negotiations_w.html

tsiguy96
01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
may not be getting a real job offer yet, and i dont think he fits in denver based on this teams makeup (offensive people) and lack of real 4-3 guys.

2 more DC types done, leaves us with fox, williams, mularkey (maybe), koetter, studesville, dennison.

LetsGoBroncos
01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I said in another thread a few days ago that I was a student at ASU when Koetter was there and we would be in big trouble if we hired him. Since I said that all my friends have texted me, emailed me, etc. laughing at the Broncos and making fun of us for even considering him. Embarassing

boltaneer
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Fox might be interested in the San Diego State HC job now that Brady Hoke has taken the Michigan job.

He said he's open to returning to college and back to his alma mater if the position opens up though I think he'd still prefer to stay in the NFL if possible.

Boomhauer
01-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Name the new HC
There are four guys that I'd have no objection to seeing in Denver, though each has their +/-'s. Koetter is the best option, followed by a near-tie between Fewell and Dennison. Last is the seat-warming administrator Fox. Evaluations in order of HC ability............

OC Dirk Koetter: A complete offensive mind that will balance run/pass, including knowing speed/power running and WC/vert passing. An experienced QB coach that will develope and get the most from who's under center. The best player-evaluator of these four which will raise the Broncos from worst-roster to competitive in one offseason. Though an Offense guy, he's had his feet wet with defense when a HC. Three years as OC, preceded by 6 yrs as college HC+OC and 3 yrs as college HC.

DC Perry Fewell: Very good at what he does, wether it be aginst the run, pass, turnovers and gameplanning. Gotten the most out of average players which is very important considering the Broncos' roster. No offensive or HC experience which means we'll need a solid OC and player selection would likely come from the failed mind of Xanders. Five years as a DC, preceded by 8yrs coaching secondary.

OC Rick Dennison: The best teacher of premier running attack in the NFL. When it comes to the complete trenches (OL, RB, TE + DL, LB), he's the best coach available. No experience with QBs or DBs, which would need to be emphasized through coordinators, but would create a very solid foundation for any system to work off of. No HC experience would, again, mean Xanders' personel ineptitude would continue to plague the team. One year as OC, preceded by 1 yr OL, 3 yrs OC, 5yrs OL and 4 yrs with Sp-Ts.

HC John Fox: While he got his start in the NFL in defense and has been an effective HC for Carolina this decade, he's a system manager, not a coach. Would need good coordinators to establish systems and Xanders to assemble a roster. From there, he'd work the day-to-day and gameday oversight, but don't expect him to make players, roster or the team better. Eight yrs HC, preceded by 2 yrs DC, 2 yrs unemployed (consultant), 2 yrs DC and 5 yrs secondary.

Though the topic now is HC, GM Xanders is lead Scout and negotiator, but removing him from the organization is essential to success. He's a proven failure with contracts and, likewise, would easily be replaced as Scout director. Most importantly is to end his say in personel evaluations/selection and leaving it to Elway, the new HC/coordinators and new Scout director.

footstepsfrom#27
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Wait...there's no point in discussing this yet, the executive search firm hasn't even had time to do their thing yet, and we still lhave to interview those college coaches Elway said they'd be talking to...