PDA

View Full Version : Dick Winters, WWII hero, Band of Brothers fame, dead at 92

Mile High Shack
01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I loved Band of Brothers, Dick Winters was just an amazing man...RIP dear sir, our country owes you a huge thank you, a real hero

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110110/ap_on_re_us/us_obit_winters

Richard "Dick" Winters, a highly decorated World War II hero who became a household name when his heroics were chronicled in a Stephen Ambrose book that later became the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," has died. He was 92.

After enlisting in the Army on August 25, 1941, the Pennsylvania native was deployed together with other soldiers in Easy Company -- the 506th regiment of he 101st Airborne Division -- to land by parachute in France on D-Day, June 6, 1944. By leading the takeover of a German artillery bunker on Utah beach, Winters and his company saved countless lives from relentless cannon fire -- an exercise that later earned him the Distinguished Service Cross, the second-highest honor an American solider can receive. Winters and Easy Company later fought near the town of Foy through the Battle of the Bulge, liberated the German concentration camp at Dachau, and occupied Hitler's mountainside retreat, Eagle's Nest.

In 1945, one of Winters' soldiers, Floyd Talbert, wrote a letter to Winters from his hospital bed to express appreciation for his leadership in battle.

"You are loved and will never be forgotten by any soldier that ever served under you," Talbert wrote. "I would follow you into hell."

Shaken by what he experienced in war, Winters reportedly vowed to live a simple life if he managed to survive, and that's just what he did. After returning home, he married his then-girlfriend, Ethel, bought a farm in Fredericksburg, Pa. and raised a family. He reportedly never talked about his war experiences until Ambrose came calling in the hopes of documenting Easy Company's role in winning the war. Winters said he honored Ambrose's request because he felt it important for future generations to learn about the war, its consequences and the sacrifices made by soldiers.

Winters was leading a quiet life of retirement on a farm in Hershey, Pennsylvania, when "Band of Brothers" turned him into a minor celebrity. People who knew him say that he never really became all that comfortable with life in the spotlight. He had fielded countless requests for interviews and personal appearances over the past decade or so, most of which he turned down.

Winters was, by all accounts, exceedingly modest. When someone would ask him if he considered himself a hero, he would usually respond by saying, "No. But I served in a company of heroes."

Chris
01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Damnit. I would have loved to have met him.

RIP to an amazing man

Mile High Shack
01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
now I can't edit the damn thread title

Chris
01-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Go to advanced edit.

Mile High Shack
01-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Go to advanced edit.

thanks Chris

ksBRONCOfan
01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Truly an inspirational man on many levels.

RIP

Kaylore
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I need to buy "Band of Brothers."

Chris
01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

I'll sell it to you if you want it on DVD.

Mile High Shack
01-10-2011, 09:18 AM

literally amazing....you defin. need to see it

goldengopher1976
01-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Love that series and have watched it multiple times. Winters is/was an inspiration. Would that we could get back (or, some might argue, get there at all) on a national level to the kind of character he displayed in life.

Rohirrim
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Within a few years, we'll probably be talking about the last WWII veteran. My father fought in Okinawa with the Marines. Like this guy, he never said a word about it. They did their job, and came home. Back in those days, they didn't do touchdown dances.

Smiling Assassin27
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
The kind of man that should be in history books, IMO.

Rest In Peace and Thank You.

McDman
01-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Within a few years, we'll probably be talking about the last WWII veteran. My father fought in Okinawa with the Marines. Like this guy, he never said a word about it. They did their job, and came home. Back in those days, they didn't do touchdown dances.

It's true. My Grandpa served in India leading pack mules across the country, he's 92.

Pontius Pirate
01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Somewhat OT: I am watching The Pacific right now, and it's nowhere near as good as Band of Brothers.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific are comparable to fuller length versions of Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line. SPR was set in Europe and had a more visceral and quick pace. TTRL was set in the south pacific and is slower and more philosophical throughout - the action almost interrupts the actual stories being told of the characters.

It's harder to like the guys in The Pacific (except Basilone) - but in Band of Brothers you almost liked everyone....except Dyke ofcourse.

Anyways, yeah - Winters was a cool guy. He'll be missed

Chris
01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
The Pacific can't touch BoB. That's not to say the actual characters weren't similarly heroic.

BroncoBen
01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

My father was the same way...never talked about the war. He joined when he turned 16 yrs (lied to enlist). He was a medic with General Patton's 3rd Army and saw alot of stuff that gave him nightmares till the day he died.

lostknight
01-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I highly recommend reading Ambrose's book. The miniseries is great, a very accurate re-telling of what's in the book, but there is so much to the story that doesn't come across. Dick Winters is a particular inspiration to me. Not because it's fiction, but because the guy really did live his life that way.

Chris
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I highly recommend reading Ambrose's book. The miniseries is great, a very accurate re-telling of what's in the book, but there is so much to the story that doesn't come across. Dick Winters is a particular inspiration to me. Not because it's fiction, but because the guy really did live his life that way.

What does the book tell you about Winters that the miniseries doesn't?

TDmvp
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
A hero , and I thank him and his family ... Rip ..

missingnumber7
01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
BOB and Pacific were both great, the problem with doing one about Pacific is that the WWII battles in the pacific aren't nearly as studied as the battles in Europe. And the pacific was a much more gruesome war for the soldiers enduring it.

I've only seen half of Pacific and thought it was great on a different level than BOB. BOB was a story about a group of guys that was starting something completely new, from Currahee(sp?) to the battle of the bulge to the eagles nest...several men who stayed together the whole way. Pacific seems to follow different groups.

If you enjoyed those 2 documentaries, look for the WWII in color by History channel. Gary Sinese leads you through the lives of 6 or 8 different soldiers and their experiences. I really enjoyed that show.

McDman
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
All of Ambrose's books are amazing.

Rascal
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
RIP. A true hero.

Chris
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
My favourite WW2 movie remains Flags of our Fathers. It addresses why these guys don't / didn't talk about it.

Pontius Pirate
01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
There were so many badasses in WW2. Winters, Basilone, Audie Murphy.

I think Basilones is pretty cool. He was leading a team that was surrounded by 3,000 japanese soldiers and he was manning a machine gun. Pretty soon it was just Basilone and two other guys. Between the three of them, they killed all 3,000 soldiers. He had to run from one foxhole to another when ammo was running low, and he picked up the machine gun while it was still hot and got 3rd degree burns. At one point he ran out amongst the oncoming soldiers just to push some dead bodies down so his troops could have a better line of sight.

He got the medal of honor, did a war bonds tour, married, and then shipped off to Iwo Jima and was killed on the first day of the assault. Dude was badass.

DarkHorse30
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Band of Brothers is a great series....I was hoping Pacific was good but am not so sure of buying-if it's different groups.

RIP Mr. Winters- I'm glad he decided to tell his tale

Crushaholic
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Thank you for your service, sir. RIP...

broncosteven
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
It is guys like Winters, Sullenberger and Kranz who were mortal men thrust into extraordinary situations and excelled that facinate me.

All vets deserve a thankyou for their service and a welcome home. When you remember Winters in your thoughts today remember those in harms way now.

ksBRONCOfan
01-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Agreed.

I have also read Winter's book "Beyond the Band of Brothers". Another fine read.

Mediator12
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Dick Winters was everything leaders today lack. He was the one who scouted both the Brecourt Manor Artillery and the German SS position on the Island in Holland. He lead from the front, did not rush to take credit, and was repected by every man in his company. He was a true warrior, Officer, and leader.

The Band of brothers Book and Miniseries is just the tip of the iceberg as well. There are many other works by the band of brothers members. Dick Winters wrote Beyond Band of Brothers. Don Malarkey wrote Easy Company Soldier. Lt. Lynn "Buck" Compton wrote Call of Duty. David Webster wrote Parachute Infantry. Bill Guarnere and "Babe" Heffron co-authored Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends one of my favorites. There is also an authorized Biograpghy by "Shifty" Powers called Shifty's War coming out in a few months. These works take you beyond the limited accounts in BOB and really give you the life history and true stories as these men Recall them.

Dick Winters can now be called the true Hero he was. He always used to say he was not a hero, but he served in a company of them.

Hang Tough Dick, you earned it!

Kaylore
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
literally amazing....you defin. need to see it

I've seen it. I want to own it.

Mediator12
01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Spend the extra bucks and get the Blu ray version. It is worth it!

Pontius Pirate
01-10-2011, 01:42 PM
hang tough dick, you earned it!

lulz

broncosteven
01-10-2011, 01:47 PM

My Uncle fought in the Pacific, he lost a lung to malaria and got shot in the side. He never talked about it.

When I finally had my kids he started answering some questions but didn't seem to want to talk much about it and all he really said was he hated McCarthur for bailing on them.

Baba Booey
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Very sad. The guy was a true hero.

I loved both Band of Brothers and the Pacific, but related to BofB alot more because my grandpa was in Europe (landed on Omaha Beach).

I never met my grandpa (he died roughly 15 years before my birth) and it really bothers me because although my dad said he never talked about the war, just to be around someone who actually went through certain things like that would be so awesome.

One of my college roommate's grandpa fought on Okinawa and actually wrote his memoirs a la Eugene Sledge. My roommate brought it to school and let me read some of it and it was obviously very, very deep stuff.

I've been meaning to pick up Sledge's memoir.

cutthemdown
01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
All of Ambrose's books are amazing.

even that parts that were plagiarism.

Chris
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM

I'll sell the set to you for 25 bucks. No scratchies. Absolute perfects.