PDA

View Full Version : Boulder and the University

schaaf
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Right now I'm in College in Billings Montana, when I graduate I plan to go to Boulder for Graduate school in Geology. I'm just curious as to if any of you went there and if you have any advice like what it costs to live there or just anything you have that may help out.. I dont know if this is supposed to be in the central discussion but feel free to tell me where to move it.

Anything helps guys!

Agamemnon
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
The cost of living in Boulder is pretty high compared to a place like Billings (I'm guessing). A one bedroom apartment will likely cost you $800+ a month there. Everything is a bit pricey there to be honest, at least compared to the rest of Colorado. It's a nice town, but it's a little on the white and privileged side of things.

RhymesayersDU
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Just make sure you allot yourself some funds for Boulder's finest pot.

Agamemnon
01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Just make sure you allot yourself some funds for Boulder's finest pot.

Which is mostly BC's finest pot from what I understand.

rovolution
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Im actually going into my last semester of undergrad. at CU Boulder.

Rent here is pretty pricey.

Right now I live in a one bedroom near campus and I pay around $720 ish when you add rent + utilities.

its a lot cheaper if you get a roomie but if you really want to save $$ and dont mind commuting to campus then I suggest living in Broomfield or Superior where the rent is a lot cheaper.

wolf754life
01-09-2011, 11:00 PM
you will like boulder, like a big red lodge.... waaay more hot chicks, great party scene

denver is the bomb! come on down!

schaaf
01-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm hoping I can graduate there and then get a job in the surrounding area and be closer to broncos, rockies, and avalanche and be working in a hydrogeology field. I'm also hoping that by that time the Buffs have rebounded from the embarrassing last few seasons!

strafen
01-09-2011, 11:22 PM
We live on the outskirts of Boulder. We love it here.
If you're single you can easily find roommates.

Boomhauer
01-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm hoping I can graduate there and then get a job in the surrounding area and be closer to broncos, rockies, and avalanche and be working in a hydrogeology field. I'm also hoping that by that time the Buffs have rebounded from the embarrassing last few seasons!

Why would you choose CU Boulder for hydrogeology?
CSU FortCollins would be the place to go. School of Mines if you want a job that pays.

strafen
01-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Why would you choose CU Boulder for hydrogeology?
CSU FortCollins would be the place to go. School of Mines if you want a job that pays.School of Mines. +1

ghwk
01-09-2011, 11:50 PM
I had my first real bed spins and massive chunder night in Boulder. A nasty mix of Coors and stouffers cauliflower in cheesy sauce heated in the microwave. After about 20 mins of percolating at 1:00 a.m. I think I covered about 2 square blocks with projectile launches.

Now I completely understand that this does nothing to help you out in regard to your question but this is pretty much what happens when you come to the mane seeking information. Hilarious!

mkporter
01-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Right now I'm in College in Billings Montana, when I graduate I plan to go to Boulder for Graduate school in Geology. I'm just curious as to if any of you went there and if you have any advice like what it costs to live there or just anything you have that may help out.. I dont know if this is supposed to be in the central discussion but feel free to tell me where to move it.

Anything helps guys!

I didn't go to school there, but I am a native Boulderite. You'll find the rent to be high as others have noted. Boulder has a lot of good restaurants, a fun bar scene, a great farmer's market, and world class outdoor recreation. Also, a bunch of hot college chicks. Boulder is affluent, white, and liberal, and has most everything that goes along with that, good and bad.

Requiem
01-10-2011, 12:29 AM
How much bomb chronic you gonna be smoking in Boulder. Lets be honest here. That ks one major reason you are making the move. Reefer madness. Never go to meth alley.

OABB
01-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Im actually going into my last semester of undergrad. at CU Boulder.

Rent here is pretty pricey.

Right now I live in a one bedroom near campus and I pay around $720 ish when you add rent + utilities.

its a lot cheaper if you get a roomie but if you really want to save $$ and dont mind commuting to campus then I suggest living in Broomfield or Superior where the rent is a lot cheaper.

720 is expensive? I've got to get out of l.a.

Archer81
01-10-2011, 01:16 AM

People where I live think $650 is pricey for rent & utilities...then I tell them where I lived in Northern VA and Pennsylvania if you could find a decent place for $800 a month in rent alone you were lucky.

:Broncos:

SoCalBronco
01-10-2011, 01:23 AM
People where I live think $650 is pricey for rent & utilities...then I tell them where I lived in Northern VA and Pennsylvania if you could find a decent place for $800 a month in rent alone you were lucky.

That's nothing compared to Southern California. Our immediate neighbors have a nice one story, 3 bedroom home with a decent backyard and pool that just sold for 960k. Ridiculous.

Archer81
01-10-2011, 01:26 AM
That's nothing compared to Southern California. Our immediate neighbors have a nice one story, 3 bedroom home with a decent backyard and pool that just sold for 960k. Ridiculous.

I agree. They have houses out here that rent for $850 a month. Southern colorado is not exactly known for high incomes. Also have a couple of houses around here for sale well over 300k. No way in hell are they worth that. Not for the acre of land they sit on. For 300k in Wetmore, CO I could buy 300 acres and a ranch and have a nice chunk of change left over.

Shenanigans.

Boomhauer
01-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Just sayin' CSU (aka Colorado A&M) offers Master of Science and PhD in Earth Sciences in
Hydrogeology & Hydrogeophysics as well as many specialties in water/land management.

Agamemnon
01-10-2011, 04:02 AM

You didn't already know that you were paying more for rent than nearly everyone everywhere?

lostknight
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Don't let all the nay-sayers get to you. I have several friends who think highly of the Geology program there, and are very gainfully employed in the area. Boulder is multiple schools - they have a liberal arts school, but also Engineering, Business, Science, etc.

Everyone tends to judge Boulder and it's students by the Liberal arts students (full disclaimer, I have a degree in History from CU), and for the most part, the school of Arts & Sciences is really the school of Arts & Parties. On the other hand, I also have degree in C.S from the School of Engineering, and for the most part, the only partying we did was late nights on the couches the line the engineering center, while pulling late nights studying.

Boulder is pricey - and as a student you can get a discount bus pass. Stay close to US-36, or in one of the Boulder burbs - Lousville, Lafayette, Niwot, Gunbarrel, or if you are really desperate, Longmont, and you will be fine.

schaaf
01-10-2011, 08:43 AM
well the reason I'm Looking at CU is my wife is going to go into massage therapy and I know there is a school for that in Boulder. And I don't party anymore or smoke so that isn't a deciding factor in it haha. But would you guys say that CSU or the mines is better for a masters in Geology even though i'm not going into engineering

Peoples Champ
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
boulder is an awesome town , you wont be dissapointed. It is a little pricy for a college town, but its worth it.

Bronco Boy
01-10-2011, 09:50 AM
You'll be fine. Just don't get your hair cut at Supercuts.

Boomhauer
01-11-2011, 04:24 AM
...But would you guys say that CSU or the mines is better for a masters in Geology even though i'm not going into engineering

If you have to ask, than you haven't bothered to look. As your question has been answered, you don't appear to listen. Because of those, I'd say education won't help you and spending money for one would be detrimental.

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2011, 07:04 AM
If you have to ask, than you haven't bothered to look. As your question has been answered, you don't appear to listen. Because of those, I'd say education won't help you and spending money for one would be detrimental.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/KenyonMartin/Ba-Zing.jpg

RaiderH8r
01-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Which is mostly BC's finest pot from what I understand.

Which usually lands in Billings before it gets to Denver.

DenverBroncosJM
01-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Haha that includes utilities!!

I'm with you, we gotta get out of Cali!

schaaf
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

You must not listen either because I said I will be going there because my wife will be going to school in Boulder. I was simply asking about Boulder and the University hence the Title of the thread. Thanks for being an ass though! :thumbsup:

Mountain Bronco
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I have a friend who is a geology major and got a masters from CU in Geology and he is killing it and has been from the day he graduated. Travels a ton, but that is the only downside from what I understand.

Mountain Bronco
01-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Which usually lands in Billings before it gets to Denver.

Everything now is locally grown, with the medical marijuna industry now.

RaiderH8r
01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Everything now is locally grown, with the medical marijuna industry now.

Indeed. I noticed the "pharmacies" around town my last visit home.

OABB
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
You didn't already know that you were paying more for rent than nearly everyone everywhere?

I did, but I had no idea it was almost three times as much.

ghwk
01-11-2011, 02:00 PM
You must not listen either because I said I will be going there because my wife will be going to school in Boulder. I was simply asking about Boulder and the University hence the Title of the thread. Thanks for being an ass though! :thumbsup:

See now you are an official initiated maner now that you have been "jumped in". Just on the mane the initiation never stops! Hilarious!

Cmac821
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Go to CSU (bias from my avy)

Cosmo
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
If you have the option for your masters at CSU, go there. CU is decent, but CSU has a better science program imo. Having the 2nd best Vet school in the nation makes the science departments that much better.

mkporter
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
If you have the option for your masters at CSU, go there. CU is decent, but CSU has a better science program imo. Having the 2nd best Vet school in the nation makes the science departments that much better.

Way too broad of a statement. You really need to look at the department that you are considering. CSU does have a great Vet school, but CU has an excellent physics department, and a good engineering school.

shaunroach
01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Totally agree with the other posters on this board...CSU has a renowned Vet program. If you want to work with livestock or tractors, definitely CSU is your best bet.

schaaf
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Totally agree with the other posters on this board...CSU has a renowned Vet program. If you want to work with livestock or tractors, definitely CSU is your best bet.

not sure if serious?