PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Schefter just said on Countdown that the Broncos are looking to interview Packer DC Dom Capers.

Any thoughts on The Dom? He has HC experience, is an excellent defensive mind... but other than that, I don't know a whole lot about him.

broncogary
01-09-2011, 09:39 AM
He started out strongly with the Texans. A very organized, driven person. I think he might have been a victim of the Charley Casserly, David Carr disaster. Certainly not given as much rope as Kubiak's being given.

Bigdawg26
01-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't mind him, but I rather Rivera.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't mind him, but I rather Rivera.

I'm on the fence with that. I like Rivera a lot, and really like his defenses.

But Dom has the prior HC experience, and was doing it with (expansion) Houston, with a terrible team. He was a head coach elsewhere too, wasn't he? Carolina? Wasn't he the first coach there as well? Like Jacksonville, I think they were in the conference title game in their second year of existence...

Since what we have in Denver is, essentially, an expansion situation, he might be the right person to spearhead the effort to rebuild.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 09:50 AM
One thing I really like about Capers is his knowledge of personnel on the defensive side. This guy essentially built the talent on D that Green Bay has now, and much of it came through the draft. Important to note.

And I think Champ would love to play for an aggressive coach like him.

Beantown Bronco
01-09-2011, 09:51 AM
He recently worked for the Pats, so automatically a good segment of the folks here should hate him.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
One thing I really like about Capers is his knowledge of personnel on the defensive side. This guy essentially built the talent on D that Green Bay has now, and much of it came through the draft. Important to note.

And I think Champ would love to play for an aggressive coach like him.

Capers is a great coach and IMO would be a good hire, but nothing about your post is true. This is Caper's first year working for Green Bay. Their talent on the D was built by Ted Thompson who is a great GM and McKenzie who is one of the best personel guys in the league.

TonyR
01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
CAR 1995 7 9 0 .438 4th in NFC West - - - -
CAR 1996 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC West 1 1 .500 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Championship Game.
CAR 1997 7 9 0 .438 2nd in NFC West - - - -
CAR 1998 4 12 0 .250 4th in NFC West - - - -
CAR Total 30 34 0 .468 1 1 .500

HOU 2002 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC South - - - -
HOU 2003 5 11 0 .312 4th in AFC South - - - -
HOU 2004 7 9 0 .437 3rd in AFC South - - - -
HOU 2005 2 14 0 .125 4th in AFC South - - - -
HOU Total 18 46 0 .281 - - -

Total[6] 48 80 0 .375 1 1 .500

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Capers is a great coach and IMO would be a good hire, but nothing about your post is true. This is Caper's first year working for Green Bay. Their talent on the D was built by Ted Thompson who is a great GM and McKenzie who is one of the best personel guys in the league.

My bad. But he was hired in Jan '09, so this is his second year there.

Lestat
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM
i wouldn't mind him as coach. so long as we have a strong scouting department and can surround the new guy with talent. shocked not to see Nolan getting some rub in the press as a HC candidate.

meangene
01-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd put him second on my list behind Rivera. Definitely ahead of Williams, the OC's and Fox.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd still rather have Fox.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
I'd put him second on my list behind Rivera. Definitely ahead of Williams, the OC's and Fox.

Why behind Rivera? I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just curious.

loborugger
He is a good DC. He has had a shot at the HC level twice and he didnt work out twice. I dont think its our team that needs to give him a 3rd shot.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 10:09 AM
The thing that scares me about Rivera is that he has been respected for a long time and has had many HC interviews, but no team has ever given him the job. That's a little bit of a red flag for me.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd still rather have Fox.

I agree with you here bowtown...I think capers would be a good coach, but I would rather have Fox as well.

Cmac821
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
There defense is good and very aggresive, I think it would be a good pick.

But...Go Fox

ICON
01-09-2011, 10:13 AM
definitely be an attractive candidate for are Head Coach position.

Capers may go down as one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time.

Capers was the head coach of the Carolina Panthers from 1995-98 and of the Houston Texans from 2002-05.

Both teams were expansion teams when Capers held the head job.Capers 7-9 mark in his first season in Carolina is the best ever for an expansion team. Capers went to the NFC Championship game, won coach of the year and finished the season 12-4 with Carolina in 1996.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
He is a good DC. He has had a shot at the HC level twice and he didnt work out twice. I dont think its our team that needs to give him a 3rd shot.

He was the first head coach for two expansion teams. I mean, come on man.

loborugger
01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
He was the first head coach for two expansion teams. I mean, come on man.

And as of right now, with a new front office and coming off the worst season in franchise history, we arent far from being an expansion team ourselves.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
And as of right now, with a new front office and coming off the worst season in franchise history, we arent far from being an expansion team ourselves.

And he had the expansion Carolina Panthers in the NFC Championship game in his second year there.

PRBronco
01-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I like the idea of Capers because he'd give us a good chance to keep Champ. He coached Charles Woodson to DPOY, imagine what he could do with Champ?!

Hamrob
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't want a grandpa as HC. I'd like to get an experienced guy (more so that McD), but one who can grow with the Broncos and be here a while. No guy in their 60's is the answer for us...IMO.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Is Nolan even on the radar?

UberBroncoMan
01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
CAR 1995 7 9 0 .438 4th in NFC West - - - -
CAR 1996 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC West 1 1 .500 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Championship Game.
CAR 1997 7 9 0 .438 2nd in NFC West - - - -
CAR 1998 4 12 0 .250 4th in NFC West - - - -
CAR Total 30 34 0 .468 1 1 .500

HOU 2002 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC South - - - -
HOU 2003 5 11 0 .312 4th in AFC South - - - -
HOU 2004 7 9 0 .437 3rd in AFC South - - - -
HOU 2005 2 14 0 .125 4th in AFC South - - - -
HOU Total 18 46 0 .281 - - -

Total[6] 48 80 0 .375 1 1 .500

Now that's a winner!

All for him as a DC...not in hell as a HC.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM

There is no sign of him anywhere NEAR the Broncos' radar.

Makes me wonder if the falling out wasn't strictly between McD and Nolan.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Now that's a winner!

All for him as a DC...not in hell as a HC.

Same number of conference championship games in a decade as Mike Shanahan... and he did it with two expansion teams.

meangene
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Why behind Rivera? I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just curious.

I like Rivera's versatility in both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes and I think he should be more familiar with our personnel and the AFC West in general.

meangene
01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
If Capers got the job, it would be nice to see him bring Tom Clements with him to be OC.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I like Rivera's versatility in both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes and I think he should be more familiar with our personnel and the AFC West in general.

I do too, actually. Just worried we're not even going to get a chacne to interview him.

TheReverend
01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Dom's is the favorite name I've heard on this "list" in a long time.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Dom's is the favorite name I've heard on this "list" in a long time.

I'm oddly comfortable with the idea. My two favorites are Capers and Morninwheg, with Fewell and Fox right behind them.

meangene
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I do too, actually. Just worried we're not even going to get a chacne to interview him.

Not if we don't get off our ass and get the interview scheduled. Baffles me.

Dagmar
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
8 seasons as head coach and ONE winning? **** that.

Dagmar
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM

He's into his 2nd with the Panthers, pretty sure we missed the boat.

peacepipe
01-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Ican't find the post,but didn't someone post that Rivera is onto his 2nd interview with carolina? has he had other interviews? doesn't even look like he's going to even try to interview with denver.

peacepipe
01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
He's into his 2nd with the Panthers, pretty sure we missed the boat.

if we keep missing the boat,we're going to be lucky to get someone off the B list. let alone off the A list.

Beantown Bronco
01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
There is no sign of him anywhere NEAR the Broncos' radar.

Makes me wonder if the falling out wasn't strictly between McD and Nolan.

I heard on the light rail that Nolan hit on Ellis' wife.

worm
01-09-2011, 03:36 PM
If you believe that the Broncos need an authoritative HC. A disciplinarian who would demand and get respect....Capers is not a bad choice.

I would be cool with him as long as he hires a young, aggressive OC to run the O.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-09-2011, 03:55 PM
If you believe that the Broncos need an authoritative HC. A disciplinarian who would demand and get respect....Capers is not a bad choice.

I would be cool with him as long as he hires a young, aggressive OC to run the O.

I like Capers a lot. Would love it if he brought Tom Clements with him from Green Bay to be OC. Clements was the QB coach for the Steelers (under Mularkey) when Stewart broke out, squeezed the last little bit of juice out of Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo as OC (under Mularkey). He also coach Elvis Grbac to the Pro Bowl in 2001. Made Tommy Maddox NFL Comeback Player of the year, help Brett Favre cut down on his picks in 2006 and made Aaron Rodgers all growed up.

He's worked under Lou Holtz (Notre Dame), Bill Cowher and Mike McCarthy. He was also an All-American QB himself at ND and won a couple of Grey Cups.

orange crusher
01-09-2011, 04:26 PM

No, it's Capers second year with GB. After McD was hired, there was talk of bringing him to Denver as DC. He was hired by GB instead.

Just another tidbit. I was talking to a Steeler fan and they gave a lot of credit to Capers for designing the 3-4 they have used for years.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Wish we could get McKenzie and give X the boot.

What bothers me about Capers is that he had a team right on the threshold and they fell off the ladder the next season. That, and the fact that he interviewed for positions like LB's coach with the Cowboys. If you believe your HC material, and you're already at DC, why would you even consider moving back down the ladder? I like this guy for a DC but not so much as a HC. He'd bring a conservative play calling approach as well, so I'm not sure he'd be using Tebow correctly.

Besides...his name makes me think of Capers. I don't like Capers.

http://phillips.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/224capers.jpg

broncogary
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Wish we could get McKenzie and give X the boot.

What bothers me about Capers is that he had a team right on the threshold and they fell off the ladder the next season. That, and the fact that he interviewed for positions like LB's coach with the Cowboys. If you believe your HC material, and you're already at DC, why would you even consider moving back down the ladder? I like this guy for a DC but not so much as a HC. He'd bring a conservative play calling approach as well, so I'm not sure he'd be using Tebow correctly.

Besides...his name makes me think of Capers. I don't like Capers.

http://phillips.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/224capers.jpg

I think a lot of that had to do with Kerry Collins.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I think a lot of that had to do with Kerry Collins.
He seems like a Wad Phillips type guy, great DC but not sure he's cut out for the top job. The fact that he's interviewd for lower level positions after having been a HC bothers me. I think if you see yourself in that role, and you've been in it before, you don't retreat from going after that by settling or appearing as if you're willing to settle for that. I'm watching Green Bay defense Vick and the Eagles and you have to admire his defensive approach and results.

tsiguy96
01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
He seems like a Wad Phillips type guy, great DC but not sure he's cut out for the top job. The fact that he's interviewd for lower level positions after having been a HC bothers me. I think if you see yourself in that role, and you've been in it before, you don't retreat from going after that by settling or appearing as if you're willing to settle for that. I'm watching Green Bay defense Vick and the Eagles and you have to admire his defensive approach and results.

i think you dont know what youre talking about, based on youre recent strong of posts. this makes no sense, he interviewed for other jobs after losing his HC job, and thus hes not cut out to be hc?

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
i think you dont know what youre talking about, based on youre recent strong of posts. this makes no sense, he interviewed for other jobs after losing his HC job, and thus hes not cut out to be hc?
Not that he interviewed for other jobs, but that he interviewed for an LB's coaching position and I think something else like that. I don't think it's a deal breaker if you really think this guy is the absolute best choice we can make...it's just something that bugs me a bit. I think if you see yourself as a HC, you're not trying to get a position as a LB coach when you've already been both the DC and the HC. That's why I mentioned Wade. Like Capers, he's an excellent DC, and like Wade, I don't think Capers is passionate about being a HC, which is why he's willing to settle for the DC role or even interview for lower positions. It might not bug anyone else but it does me...just sayin.

What recent string of posts are you referencing btw? Coming from the chief cheerleader for the McD failure so many others in here saw coming...it's ironic you think I'm the one who doesn't get it.

tsiguy96
01-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Not that he interviewed for other jobs, but that he interviewed for an LB's coaching position and I think something else like that. I don't think it's a deal breaker if you really think this guy is the absolute best choice we can make...it's just something that bugs me a bit. I think if you see yourself as a HC, you're not trying to get a position as a LB coach when you've already been both the DC and the HC. That's why I mentioned Wade. Like Capers, he's an excellent DC, and like Wade, I don't think Capers is passionate about being a HC, which is why he's willing to settle for the DC role or even interview for lower positions. It might not bug anyone else but it does me...just sayin.

What recent string of posts are you referencing btw? Coming from the chief cheerleader for the McD failure so many others in here saw coming...it's ironic you think I'm the one who doesn't get it.

after an unsuccessful run at HC, some times you need to start over and work your way back up the ladder. pretty simple.

broncogary
01-09-2011, 05:26 PM

The guy is a workaholic and if he can't get a DC job, he'll be a position coach, rather than take a year off.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
after an unsuccessful run at HC, some times you need to start over and work your way back up the ladder. pretty simple.
It's not simple, it just seems that way to you. These guys are millionaires, so it's not like they're grabbing a job to pay the light bill and the car note. When you get to this level, you should be willing to stick to what you want. Would Shanahan, Cowher, Parcells, etc...those guys who you KNOW see themselves as only the General, not the Leutenant...would any of them go backwards down the ladder like that?

That's the difference.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:29 PM
The guy is a workaholic and if he can't get a DC job, he'll be a position coach, rather than take a year off.
Right...I get that. I also think it's what makes him a GREAT DC or position coach. I just makes me pause for consideration when I see he's willing to go back not forward. I want the HC who will never accept less than what he sees himself as.

tsiguy96
01-09-2011, 05:29 PM
It's not simple, it just seems that way to you. These guys are millionaires, so it's not like they're grabbing a job to pay the light bill and the car note. When you get to this level, you should be willing to stick to what you want. Would Shanahan, Cowher, Parcells, etc...those guys who you KNOW see themselves as only the General, not the Leutenant...would any of them go backwards down the ladder like that?

That's the difference.

youre right, he should go all jim fassel and sit on the sidelines until he gets another job. shanahan, cowher and parcells all left their jobs on atleast a moderately successful streak and thus were wanted by other teams. capers did not, his first HC stint sucked. not that you can link the different backgrounds together and thus see a different outcome.

broncogary
01-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Right...I get that. I also think it's what makes him a GREAT DC or position coach. I just makes me pause for consideration when I see he's willing to go back not forward. I want the HC who will never accept less than what he sees himself as.

He marches to a different drummer than you.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
youre right, he should go all jim fassel and sit on the sidelines until he gets another job. shanahan, cowher and parcells all left their jobs on atleast a moderately successful streak and thus were wanted by other teams. capers did not, his first HC stint sucked. not that you can link the different backgrounds together and thus see a different outcome.
Don't get snippy with me and start acting like I'm stupid OK? Not when you just backed the worst coaching regime in Broncos history to the hilt for the entire time he was here. I've purposely stayed away from rubbing your face in the dog dirt that was McD's mess becuase I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt at a certain point and go with the flow right up till Spygate thing. But I was on the right side from the start and you weren't...put that in your pipe and smoke it.

This thing on Capers is an opinion, one based on things I see in life in general, not just sports. Don't like it...fine.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
He marches to a different drummer than you.
Most people do. ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Don't get snippy with me and start acting like I'm stupid OK? Not when you just backed the worst coaching regime in Broncos history to the hilt for the entire time he was here. I've purposely stayed away from rubbing your face in the dog dirt that was McD's mess becuase I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt at a certain point and go with the flow right up till Spygate thing. But I was on the right side from the start and you weren't...put that in your pipe and smoke it.

This thing on Capers is an opinion, one based on things I see in life in general, not just sports. Don't like it...fine.

God damn. That's a takedown.

OrangeSe7en
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Schefter just said on Countdown that the Broncos are looking to interview Packer DC Dom Capers.

Any thoughts on The Dom? He has HC experience, is an excellent defensive mind... but other than that, I don't know a whole lot about him.

He's low on my list.

tsiguy96
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM

i SHOULDNT back the HC of the denver broncos? fine, go ahead with your pathetic whining END OF THE WORLD crybaby bull**** on a ****ING BRONCOS MESSAGE BOARD. how pathetic is that? you werent on the right side of ****,you either support the team or you dont, and that includes the head coach. hes gone, fine, guess what your job is as a fan now? to support the next head coach, because you have no other options, unless you want to ****ing cry and mope your way around life because you didnt get what you want on a team that you have no control over.

and you still dont know what the **** you are talking about, and that includes most everything that you ever mention.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:53 PM
i SHOULDNT back the HC of the denver broncos? fine, go ahead with your pathetic whining END OF THE WORLD crybaby bull**** on a ****ING BRONCOS MESSAGE BOARD. how pathetic is that? you werent on the right side of ****,you either support the team or you dont, and that includes the head coach. hes gone, fine, guess what your job is as a fan now? to support the next head coach, because you have no other options, unless you want to ****ing cry and mope your way around life because you didnt get what you want on a team that you have no control over.

and you still dont know what the **** you are talking about, and that includes most everything that you ever mention.
Ha ha...must have touched a nerve. Hilarious!

OrangenBlueOhio
01-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Indications are that Todd Bowles will be the Dallas Cowboys' next defensive coordinator, but he isn't coach Jason Garrett's first choice.

League sources say Bowles' Miami Dolphins counterpart, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, is the No. 1 target, but he's unlikely to go to Dallas because he's under contract and it's a lateral move.

This is the only thing I could find for recent news on Nolan. I'd like to see him on John's radar as well.

p.s. don't know how to post a link, so I just posted the paragraph from nfl.com, so as to not monkey with that copyright stuff.

Mogulseeker
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
I was just thinking about Capers. I think this might be a good choice.

SoCalBronco
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM

PWNED.

I'm trying to figure out why tsiguy is still playing this same tune. He already got exposed, so he would be better off hiding under a rock or something, yet somehow he's STILL going.

Look tsiguy,

1. Josh is no longer the coach here. He went 11-17 and despite some good things he did, his tenure could be reasonably described as a failure.
2. He's also currently married.

So GTF off his dick, already.

montrose
01-09-2011, 06:14 PM

I haven't even heard his name rumored with HC jobs, let alone scheduled for interviews. Guess he's back as DC in Miami next year.

Baba Booey
01-09-2011, 07:16 PM
This would be awesome. He did a great job with Carolina a while back and you can see what he's done with GB's D.

tsiguy96
01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
PWNED.

I'm trying to figure out why tsiguy is still playing this same tune. He already got exposed, so he would be better off hiding under a rock or something, yet somehow he's STILL going.

Look tsiguy,

1. Josh is no longer the coach here. He went 11-17 and despite some good things he did, his tenure could be reasonably described as a failure.
2. He's also currently married.

again, you and your dbag buddies stick with your talking points ignoring my ACTUAL opinion on the subject, go try reading everything ive wrote about him the last 5 weeks, then come back and talk.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
boo

Likwid Kerruj
01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I like Capers as a coordinator.

Not really sold on his head coaching ability.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
You're hardly the one to be talking about getting off someone's D.