PDA

View Full Version : Scrabble is a FA

bowtown
01-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided and now will be allowed to become an unrestricted free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, according to an NFL Players Association document.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

zdoor
01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Pipe dream, but he is a great player and a first class guy....

BigPlayShay
01-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Not good news in regard to re-signing Champ

bowtown
01-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, great contract writing there, Chokeland. That franchise just continues to be a total joke.

Bigdawg26
01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I WOULD LOVE TO GET HIM IN DENVER! We could move champ to safety which he wants, we make a big splash with the best corner in the NFL (and stickin it to Oakland in the process), and we can pick up Farley or Dareus. And we are looking pretty good on D. But we have to get this guy!

bowtown
01-09-2011, 08:43 AM
I WOULD LOVE TO GET HIM IN DENVER! We could move champ to safety which he wants, we make a big splash with the best corner in the NFL (and stickin it to Oakland in the process), and we can pick up Farley or Dareus. And we are looking pretty good on D. But we have to get this guy!

To get him to come to our wreck of a team, we'll have to offer him more money than anyone else... and that's going to be a astronomical figure. I'd rather just keep Champ for less.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Pipe dream, but he is a great player and a first class guy....

why is this a pipe dream?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Not good news in regard to re-signing Champ

I would think this would be great news when it comes to resigning Champ.

With the focus of most teams on signing Aso, we can hopefully show him that we want him here, and maybe even get a hometown discount.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 08:49 AM

He's going to command way more money than we should be spending on one position... especially if we have any interest in keeping Champ.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 08:53 AM
He's going to command way more money than we should be spending on one position... especially if we have any interest in keeping Champ.

I don't have interest in keeping champ if we get this guy locked up for a while...would rather pay him the big money than champ at this time.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't have interest in keeping champ if we get this guy locked up for a while...would rather pay him the big money than champ at this time.

He is going to command a lot more money than Champ. We have too many holes on this D to be sinking that kind of money into one skill position. Champ will come cheaper and wants to sign with us. Namdi shouldn't even be given a second thought.

Bigdawg26
01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
But Champ wants to play safety, and you will have to offer him more money than anyone else because he is the best corner in the league. We could actually kill two birds with one stone. We need young talent on this team, and I'm tired of targeting mid level talents like Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Ronald Fields, Jabar Gaffney, and Jason Hunter. We need to make a splash and what will be better than getting the best corner in the league (from your rival and I know he wants to stick it to the raiders every chance he can). That can eliminate the need for corner in the draft also and we can finally put Champ in the backfield (who says he's want be in Denver if we are serious and getting him would show him that not only we are serious but he can get what he wants in playing safety).

ayjackson
01-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Great news that he'll be leaving the division.

But I agree - there's nothing that would lead me to believe that we'd outbid the league for his services.

ICON
01-09-2011, 09:03 AM
There is no way we get him, but it is still great news either way.

a) Champ is no longer the most lucrative CB on the FA market and

b) Nnamdi will likely be out of the AFC West.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Ya lets go out and get 2nd tier talent to fill our voids-NO...I agree with bigdawg, i am sick of getting garbage from other teams and trying to hype them up. This guy is one of the best out there right now and champ maybe has two decent years left at the position...this money would be wisely spent on Nnamdi

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 09:04 AM
If we did sign Aso, I can guarantee you that Champ won't stay. Especially with the amount of money we'd have to pay to lock him up.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 09:04 AM
But Champ wants to play safety, and you will have to offer him more money than anyone else because he is the best corner in the league. We could actually kill two birds with one stone. We need young talent on this team, and I'm tired of targeting mid level talents like Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Ronald Fields, Jabar Gaffney, and Jason Hunter. We need to make a splash and what will be better than getting the best corner in the league (from your rival and I know he wants to stick it to the raiders every chance he can). That can eliminate the need for corner in the draft also and we can finally put Champ in the backfield (who says he's want be in Denver if we are serious and getting him would show him that not only we are serious but he can get what he wants in playing safety).

Go reread what Champ said. He said he is open to switching to safety in a couple of years out of necessity and age. He disn't say he wants to play safety. He will want to play CB for another couple of years, which he should and which his contract should reflect. To pay both of these guys is WAY too much money to sink into DBs, when what we are screaming for is front 7 help.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Front seven help should be coming through the draft this year...if this doesn't happen, then we are F-ing screwed

Bigdawg26
01-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Front seven help should be coming through the draft this year...if this doesn't happen, then we are F-ing screwed

100% agreed! We have the second overall pick and two second round picks (maybe a third after trading Orton), and a third round pick. You mean to tell me they can't draft good D-linemen (which the draft is very deep in)! And if you read the articles on Champ he doesn't want to goto a rebuilding phase again. We have been signing mid level talent for two years now and that has got us NOTHING but the second overall pick and a bunch of average guys that get exposed and/or worn down by midseason! We need to make a splash and we have plenty of money to do it.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Re-sign Champ and draft Peterson. Nnamdi is a great player, but I think Peterson has at least as much potential and will be much cheaper when the rookie cap is in place.

Dedicate the rest of the draft and FA to the front 7 and maybe a TE.

gunns
01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
100% agreed! We have the second overall pick and two second round picks (maybe a third after trading Orton), and a third round pick. You mean to tell me they can't draft good D-linemen (which the draft is very deep in)! And if you read the articles on Champ he doesn't want to goto a rebuilding phase again. We have been signing mid level talent for two years now and that has got us NOTHING but the second overall pick and a bunch of average guys that get exposed and/or worn down by midseason! We need to make a splash and we have plenty of money to do it.

This

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Re-sign Champ and draft Peterson. Nnamdi is a great player, but I think Peterson has at least as much potential and will be much cheaper when the rookie cap is in place.

Yep. 100000% agreed.

baja
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Maybe a tight end?
If we don't get Tebow a receiving tight end we should be charged with criminal negligence .

Hamrob
01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
He's going to command way more money than we should be spending on one position... especially if we have any interest in keeping Champ.So, do you want to spend that money on peterson (unproven rookie) or on an ALL-PRO.

Sing Nnamdi...trade back in the draft and pick up more picks...draft Dareus and ton of other 2nd rounders to built this team the right way!

Offer Champ a middle of the road deal to stay and be a part of it. He'd love to play with Nnamdi!

Hamrob
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Yep. 100000% agreed.Are you kidding? Did you watch Peterson the other night? He wasn't even a factor!

HELL NO....SAY NO to PETERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we have to pick #2...take FAIRLEY (If he's even there)~!~!

bowtown
01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
So, do you want to spend that money on peterson (unproven rookie) or on an ALL-PRO.

Sing Nnamdi...trade back in the draft and pick up more picks...draft Dareus and ton of other 2nd rounders to built this team the right way!

Offer Champ a middle of the road deal to stay and be a part of it. He'd love to play with Nnamdi!

1. I'm not sure I want Peterson either.

2. Assuming there is a rookie cap under a new CBA, Peterson isn't going to cost anywhere near what Asomgua will.

BABronco
01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Hell. Why not try to keep Champ and sign Aso. Work a little magic and see if we can trade champ for a pick/player or 2. Trade Orton also hopefully for a 2nd. Then come draft day we have a stronger younger cb then champ (nothing against him he has been amazing) we could also look at drafting Peterson.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
^^would be awsome, but there is no way with our high pick and the need for a lot of holes filled...but give me Nnamdi over Champ any day of the week

Bigdawg26
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Ugh didn't we do that last year and the year before.... Remember the whole Richard Quinn and the signings of Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green, Jason Hunter, and trading for Joe Mays (or even when we picked up Darryl Gardner, Leon Lett, Courtney Brown, Gerrard Warren and the other Browns players) and how did that turn out for us?????? THE WORST DEFENSE AND THE SECOND OVERALL PICK! Why does everybody believe that Champ will resign if we keep doing the same stupid FA pick up year after year? Why draft peterson and hope he is a great player (who I think he might be) and still have a need for other spots when you can pick up Nmandi (which everybody knows is a great player) and FINALLY DRAFT A TALENTED D-LINEMEN like farley or dareus and hell we can even pick up a couple of d-linemen in second round also!

BABronco
01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Why draft peterson and hope he is a great player (who I think he might be) and still have a need for other spots when you can pick up Nmandi (which everybody knows is a great player) and FINALLY DRAFT A TALENTED D-LINEMEN like farley or dareus and hell we can even pick up a couple of d-linemen in second round also!

Why not attempt to get all three?

If the new cba should have the rookie pay scale so paying champ aso and peterson would not be impossible. And as I said previously we could try to see what we can get for champ in a trade. See what we could possibly get for Orton in a trade. If we cant trade Champ we could try to restructure the contract to make it hurt a lot less.

If we swing both trades we should have more than enough ammo to snag quite a few dl.

cutthemdown
01-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Raiders have some important players to resign. Seymore, Miller, Gallery, Bush, Aso just of the top of my head.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
So, do you want to spend that money on peterson (unproven rookie) or on an ALL-PRO.The cost of Peterson is not comparable with the cost of Nnamdi. Signing Nnamdi precludes going after a guy like David Harris or Richard Seymour. Drafting Peterson does not.

Offer Champ a middle of the road deal to stay and be a part of it. He'd love to play with Nnamdi!There is no way you can improve the front 7 in FA if we sign Nnamdi and Champ, and you have no idea about what Champ would love.

ICON
01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Raiders have some important players to resign. Seymore, Miller, Gallery, Bush, Aso just of the top of my head.

Samson Satele

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Ugh didn't we do that last year and the year before.... Umm..We drafted 3 offensive players in the first round of the last 2 drafts. That's pretty much the opposite of what I outlined.

Remember the whole Richard Quinn and the signings of Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green, Jason Hunter, and trading for Joe Mays (or even when we picked up Darryl Gardner, Leon Lett, Courtney Brown, Gerrard Warren and the other Browns players) and how did that turn out for us?????? THE WORST DEFENSE AND THE SECOND OVERALL PICK! Why does everybody believe that Champ will resign if we keep doing the same stupid FA pick up year after year? Why draft peterson and hope he is a great player (who I think he might be) and still have a need for other spots when you can pick up Nmandi (which everybody knows is a great player) and FINALLY DRAFT A TALENTED D-LINEMEN like farley or dareus and hell we can even pick up a couple of d-linemen in second round also!
I don't think you actually read what I wrote. I said to dedicate the entire draft to defense.

baja
01-09-2011, 11:57 AM

they have 20 free agents, twenty!

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
they have 20 free agents, twenty!
That's absurd. The Raiders are set for another decade in the garbage. And just after they started to right the ship.

They fire Cable, lose their best player in a contract snafu, and have an entire team of FAs who likely aren't going to want to re-sign there.

They are dead. I'd like to pillage a few of their defenders.

Hamrob
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
The cost of Peterson is not comparable with the cost of Nnamdi. Signing Nnamdi precludes going after a guy like David Harris or Richard Seymour. Drafting Peterson does not.

There is no way you can improve the front 7 in FA if we sign Nnamdi and Champ, and you have no idea about what Champ would love.I don't want Seymour. The guy is already like 34yrs old. We don't need bandaids...we need to build a football team. Nnamdi will get $15m/yr so it probably isn't going to be with the Denver Broncos. But, he certainly would take care of that position for the next 7-8yrs.

Peterson is no guarentee and without a new CBA...He's going to cost big bucks at #2. No thanks.

For now, I think we need to resign Champ and draft Dline. I would trade back in the 1st and still try to get Dareus.

By the time the draft roles around...teams are going to want to get Gabbert, Mallett and/or Newton. We should be able to trade back from 2...to somewhere between 5-10 and still get one of Fairley, Bowers or Dareus. We can pick up a 2nd rounder at least by doing this.

With 3 2nd rounders...we can look at getting kids like

Watt
Heywood
Rudolph
Crick
Paea
Jimmy Smith
Pouncey
Powe
Ayers
McDaniel
Sash
Moore
Barron
Sturdivant
Sheppard

Some or many of these kids will be there in the 2nd round for us. This is where we can significantly improve our football team. The more picks we can get in the 2nd/3rd round...the better off we will be.

baja
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
That's absurd. The Raiders are set for another decade in the garbage. And just after they started to right the ship.

They fire Cable, lose their best player in a contract snafu, and have an entire team of FAs who likely aren't going to want to re-sign there.

They are dead. I'd like to pillage a few of their defenders.

How the hell does a FO allow 20 contracts expire in the same season. Major Fail

cutthemdown
01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Crick would be a great 2nd round pick for us. Especially if we got him with the one from Miami.

cutthemdown
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Hamrob I disagree that any team will want to take any of the remaining qbs with the 2nd pick in draft. Unless a team wants Peterson, AJ Green etc etc I think we are stuck there. Those qbs will go first round but not that high.

HEAV
01-09-2011, 01:33 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMM he's younger....

zdoor
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I can't see us spending the money he'll command. Would be happy to eat crow though.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Peterson is no guarentee and without a new CBA...He's going to cost big bucks at #2. No thanks. Without a new CBA there isn't going to be football. Any new CBA will include a rookie cap that will make Peterson far less expensive that Nnamdi who will be the #1 available FA. Far Less.

With 3 2nd rounders...we can look at getting kids like

Watt
Heywood
Rudolph
Crick
Paea
Jimmy Smith
Pouncey
Powe
Ayers
McDaniel
Sash
Moore
Barron
Sturdivant
Sheppard

Some or many of these kids will be there in the 2nd round for us. This is where we can significantly improve our football team. The more picks we can get in the 2nd/3rd round...the better off we will be.There are a number 2-3 round 5 tech guys who would greatly upgrade the roster.

I'd much rather get a 3rd second rounder for Orton, take the best defensive player in the draft (Peterson hands down) and then target JJ Watt, Jared Crick, Cameron Heyward, Raheem Moore, Phil Taylor, Lawrence Guy, Derek Wolfe, Quan Sturdivant, Casey Matthews, Jerell Powe in rounds 2-3

1-Patrick Peterson
2-Jared Crick
2-Raheem Moore
2-Phil Taylor
3-Casey Matthews/Quan Sturdivant

That along with David Harris in FA would be a significant upgrade. MAybe even trade Dj Williams at that point for an extra 3rd or 4th to get an OT.

orange crusher
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I'd rather spend the money on him -vs- Peterson. I'm sure Peterson is a good player, but watching him in the Cotton bowl left me wondering why there is so much hype about him. Jeff Fuller had a pretty big game with Peterson covering him.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Go get him, sign Bailey as well, and draft Peterson if he's still there.imagine that secondary! Wow...then you still have two #2's probably three if we can move Orton for a #2. Now you've got enough ammo to take at least two highly ranked D-line guys if you trade up or possibly even if you don't. Cameron Heyward or Jared Crick plus possibly Paea would be realistic if you can live with fewer picks but get the top guys on your board. It obviously won't happen...that would be the most expensive secondary in history.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd rather spend the money on him -vs- Peterson. I'm sure Peterson is a good player, but watching him in the Cotton bowl left me wondering why there is so much hype about him. Jeff Fuller had a pretty big game with Peterson covering him.
You can't get much of a read on a CB watching the TV broadcast. Half the time you can't see them in the picture to begin with and the college defensive schemes aren't the same. Peterson is going to be great.