PDA

View Full Version : Elway insists he's not looking to deal Tebow

Jesterhole
01-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Kinda bugs me that John has already had to do some damage control...gotta learn to say nothing but vanilla crap to the media at all time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/09/elway.tebow.ap/index.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- John Elway is barely into his first weekend as the Denver Broncos' new chief of football operations and already he's in damage-control mode.

Elway took to his Twitter account Saturday to deny speculation he would trade quarterback Tim Tebow.

The fuss started when Peter King strongly implied on NBC that Elway might trade Tebow to the team that hires former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator.

Elway has said on several occasions since being hired as the Broncos' new vice president of football operations that Tebow is a good football player, but he has to become a good quarterback.

He's also said Tebow's famous work ethic will help him make the transition and that the next Broncos coach should be as big a believer in Tebow's promise as he is.

In response to King's report, Elway tweeted: "To clarify my thoughts on Tim Tebow... I think he's a very good football player, and if anyone can turn themselves into a great QB, Tim can."

"Myself and our entire organization think very highly of him. We are pleased with his first year as a Bronco," Elway added in a second tweet.

His third was his strongest yet: "Any speculation that the Denver Broncos are considering moving Tim is completely false."

Tebow, selected by McDaniels with the 25th pick in the NFL draft last April, played only sparingly in goal-line or short-yardage situations prior to McDaniels' firing Dec. 6.

Interim head coach Eric Studesville installed Tebow as his starter after Kyle Orton sustained bruised ribs and endured two poor performances in a row.

Tebow went 1-2, rallying Denver from a 17-point halftime deficit to a 24-23 win over Houston and nearly pulling off a fourth-quarter comeback against San Diego a week later in the season finale.

Elway said he was impressed with Tebow's play, especially considering he had such a paltry number of practice snaps during the season and threw just one pass until he supplanted Orton.

Tebow is the first NFL rookie quarterback since Minnesota's Fran Tarkenton in 1961 to post four games with both a TD run and a TD pass.

"Tim Tebow is a darn good football player," Elway said at his introductory news conference Wednesday. "What we have to make him is a darn good quarterback and that is what we have to figure out.

"If there is anybody that is going to give himself a chance to be a darn quarterback or a great quarterback it is going to be Tim Tebow because that is how devoted he is to it and how important it is for him to be a great football player," Elway added. "I want to tell you this: he loves the Denver Broncos. I have had a chance to talk with him and he is everything about what we like in a football player as a Denver Bronco."

A three-time All-American, two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy winner at Florida, Tebow has proven enormously popular in the NFL, too. His jersey was the third-best seller this season and he has a number of national endorsements, including Jockey.

hades
01-09-2011, 07:22 AM
3rd best, WTF! He's slippen' man... ;)

theAPAOps5
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Elway didn't mess up at all not sure where you got that. Peter King made an assumption and he himself clarified that last night on his twitter account. He said Denver is not looking to trade Tebow.

orinjkrush
01-09-2011, 07:38 AM
glad JE squelched this crap. gotta kill misinformation before it goes viral. shows he's on top of the news.

theAPAOps5
01-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Here is the link to his clarification

https://twitter.com/si_peterking/status/23858026884636672

CEH
01-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Here is the link to his clarification

https://twitter.com/si_peterking/status/23858026884636672

Problem is we didn't need this news to begin with. Headlines read "Elway wants to trade Tebow". No where do you see a retraction on the other media outlets. Did PFT run a retraction? No

Elway needs to take Josh's advice and "just do his job". Do not create news where there is no news. Once is enough

Laugh at me all you want but right now Bowlen is more concerned about not losing fans and money hence the media barrage then hunking down and bailing the team. It will come in time but all these Twitter accounts and touch points are stupid. They are there for one purpose not to lose fans

Nobody in this town will support a loser no matter how transparent you are.
I don't care who you are interviewing in fact it's better if I don't know that just leads to 2nd guessing and Monday Morning quarterbacking if the team continues to struggle

Dr. Broncenstein
01-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Thank god for touch points. It's a really good way to satisfy the build up of tension and uneasy feelings. Now that this is resolved, I think I'll take a nap.

ghostofjosh
01-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Peter King..just go away

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 08:05 AM
You know, there IS an easy to understand basic model available on what not to do right out of the shoot if you're a Bronco front office executive. It's called the Josh McDaniels approach and lesson one starts with being extraordinarily careful not to say (or do) the wrong thing to launch a QB controversy before you've found the executive washroom. Let's hope to God there's nothing to this silliness, because if we think we've seen a split in the fanbase over the Cutler et all, fiasco...imagine what would happen if we get rid of this kid on the strength of the say-so of John and he works his way into being a star while we continue to flounder with Orton/whomever we draft next. It's easy to justify the mistakes made before because Cutler provides an easy target he's tailor made for abuse...the brash mouth, the personal indiscretions reguarding drinking, the illness he didin't seem serious about controlling...the interceptions, etc...all Tebow has done is turn the fanbase upsdie down and generate a Tsunami of fever pitch, good 'old fasioned Broncomania in his first three starts. PLEASE can we get some semblance of level headedness and consistency coming out of Dove Valley? This has been a bad run on the field, but a worse one in the front offices, considerably worse IMO. I'm hoping Elway still remembers or retains enough of that Stanford degree to truly be of help here.

Seriously...this was a huge gamble, plucking the legend of the franchise from a failed Arena League venture and installing him into the top spot in the organization based on his athletic career. That is another model we have already seen, and this one that has a considerable history of failure. Superstar athletes rarely make good front office executives. Theories abounda as to why...it's not important if John turns out to be the exception to that rule. Fans need to chill out and let him have some room to grow, make a few small mistakes and go through some growth pains, BUT with the understanding that Bowlen has found the solution moving forward now. If he has, things done with Josh will be forgotten in short order as the team returns to respectability and then to playoff contention. But if they don't...this fan base, much of it to young to remember the days when beatings on the field like we saw this year were routine, will turn on Elway as quickly as some turned on Shanahan. Make no mistake, he deserved to be fired, probably a year earlier IMO...but sans Shanahan, this team is Chief-like in their last 20 years. Bottom line...we need Elway to be as nimble with his mouth as he was with his feet in escaping the rush, and he needs to do better than his rookie TD/INTs ratio or we're in for a very rough ride.

Finally, Peter King is a dumbass.

TailgateNut
01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
You know, there IS an easy to understand basic model available on what not to do right out of the shoot if you're a Bronco front office executive. It's called the Josh McDaniels approach and lesson one starts with being extraordinarily careful not to say (or do) the wrong thing to launch a QB controversy before you've found the executive washroom. Let's hope to God there's nothing to this silliness, because if we think we've seen a split in the fanbase over the Cutler et all, fiasco...imagine what would happen if we get rid of this kid on the strength of the say-so of John and he works his way into being a star while we continue to flounder with Orton/whomever we draft next. It's easy to justify the mistakes made before because Cutler provides an easy target he's tailor for abuse...the brash mouth, the personal indiscretions reguarding drinking, the illness he didin't seem serious about controlling...the interceptions, etc...all Tebow has done is turn the fanbase upsdie down and generate a Tsunami of fever pitch, good 'old fasioned Broncomania in his first three starts.

Based on the ratings/numbers, Tebow didn't do squat. Maybe he replaced longtime Bronco fans butts with Tebownite butts, but he didn't increase the fan base and didn't return Broncomania to the stands.

Don't confuse TebowMania with Broncomania. ****ing Day and Night difference.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Nice work, King. Focus more on coffee and airport amenities if you can't get something like this correct.

steeledude
01-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I know Elway isn't the coach, but compare this to when the Jay Cutler trade rumor and how McD handled it.

Elway is on top of this. He is open and I like it. I don't feel like the Broncos are liars and trying to keep secrets from us. It's kind of nice to believe something the organization says again.

You guys are too hard on Elway. He has been a successful business man and will be a successful VP.

Peter King thought he had something, I bet Elway is more careful in the future in how he talks to these douches.

One thing I've noticed about John over the years--he will never badmouth anyone.

montrose
01-09-2011, 08:43 AM
One thing I've noticed about John over the years--he will never badmouth anyone.

Until his KOA interview when he basically slammed Josh, lol.

fdf
01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
You know, there IS an easy to understand basic model available on what not to do right out of the shoot if you're a Bronco front office executive. It's called the Josh McDaniels approach and lesson one starts with being extraordinarily careful not to say (or do) the wrong thing to launch a QB controversy before you've found the executive washroom. Let's hope to God there's nothing to this silliness, because if we think we've seen a split in the fanbase over the Cutler et all, fiasco...imagine what would happen if we get rid of this kid on the strength of the say-so of John and he works his way into being a star while we continue to flounder with Orton/whomever we draft next. It's easy to justify the mistakes made before because Cutler provides an easy target he's tailor made for abuse...the brash mouth, the personal indiscretions reguarding drinking, the illness he didin't seem serious about controlling...the interceptions, etc...all Tebow has done is turn the fanbase upsdie down and generate a Tsunami of fever pitch, good 'old fasioned Broncomania in his first three starts. PLEASE can we get some semblance of level headedness and consistency coming out of Dove Valley? This has been a bad run on the field, but a worse one in the front offices, considerably worse IMO. I'm hoping Elway still remembers or retains enough of that Stanford degree to truly be of help here.

Seriously...this was a huge gamble, plucking the legend of the franchise from a failed Arena League venture and installing him into the top spot in the organization based on his athletic career. That is another model we have already seen, and this one that has a considerable history of failure. Superstar athletes rarely make good front office executives. Theories abounda as to why...it's not important if John turns out to be the exception to that rule. Fans need to chill out and let him have some room to grow, make a few small mistakes and go through some growth pains, BUT with the understanding that Bowlen has found the solution moving forward now. If he has, things done with Josh will be forgotten in short order as the team returns to respectability and then to playoff contention. But if they don't...this fan base, much of it to young to remember the days when beatings on the field like we saw this year were routine, will turn on Elway as quickly as some turned on Shanahan. Make no mistake, he deserved to be fired, probably a year earlier IMO...but sans Shanahan, this team is Chief-like in their last 20 years. Bottom line...we need Elway to be as nimble with his mouth as he was with his feet in escaping the rush, and he needs to do better than his rookie TD/INTo ratio or we're in for a very rough ride.

The media was going to create this crap no matter what Elway says. If he says "I don't want to discuss personnel matters," his failure to say Tebow is QBOF will be taken as an indication that Tebow is on the trade block. If he says "Tebow won't make it in the NFL," well there's another controversy. If he says "Tebow is better than Peyton Manning," he's overcommitted. If he says the braindead, duh, obvious truth to anyone watching the guy--to wit, "he's raw, talented, and could be great," the media twists that into a vote of no confidence.

What would you have said to avoid a controversy in Elway's shoes? Controversies sell papers. If they don't exist, the media makes them up.

This is Denver. The fans are juiced about Tebow and nothing management does or doesn't do will prevent this kind of story from popping up over and over.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2011, 08:52 AM
media people are parasites. they couldn't function as human beings if they get a real job. they are untrustworthy little rats that need to be treated like mushrooms; Feed'em **** and keep them in the dark.

TailgateNut
01-09-2011, 08:54 AM
media people are parasites. they couldn't function as human beings if they get a real job. they are untrustworthy little rats that need to be treated like mushrooms; Feed'em **** and keep them in the dark.

This is the best post you've ever made.

IMO also applies to cops!

CEH
01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
The media was going to create this crap no matter what Elway says. If he says "I don't want to discuss personnel matters," his failure to say Tebow is QBOF will be taken as an indication that Tebow is on the trade block. If he says "Tebow won't make it in the NFL," well there's another controversy. If he says "Tebow is better than Peyton Manning," he's overcommitted. If he says the braindead, duh, obvious truth to anyone watching the guy--to wit, "he's raw, talented, and could be great," the media twists that into a vote of no confidence.

What would you have said to avoid a controversy in Elway's shoes? Controversies sell papers. If they don't exist, the media makes them up.

This is Denver. The fans are juiced about Tebow and nothing management does or doesn't do will prevent this kind of story from popping up over and over.

He stumbled through his original comment on Weds and I didn't see any media jump on the story at all. It wasn't until he felt the need "again" to talk to the national media that his words were twistered.

My main question still stands. He addressed the Tim Tebow issue on Wednesday why revisit it on Friday night to a guy that was going on national TV. Elway created (inadvertently possibly) controversy where there was no controversy.

He is looked at as another Matt Millen so no matter what he says or doesn't say the results on the field are the only way to silence his critics

I think he's going to learn really quickly social media is not the way to run a football team. They think they are on the bleeding edge but Pioli in KC will be doing everything the exact opposite so it will get a good contrast to see if both ways can succeed

Que
01-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Based on the ratings/numbers, Tebow didn't do squat. Maybe he replaced longtime Bronco fans butts with Tebownite butts, but he didn't increase the fan base and didn't return Broncomania to the stands.

In the ven diagram world, TebowMania is a big circle. BroncoMania is a smaller circle that is 98% contained in the TebowMania circle. Conincidentally, That other 2% also overlaps with people who don't know that Miili Vanilli was a hoax, believe dinosaurs didn't exist and the Internet is just a fad.

Srlsy TGN. In the absence of a Luck to draft I just can't see how you can't be on board TebowMania right now as a Bronco fan. Next year mid season? That's a different story.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=Jesterhole;3077816]Kinda bugs me that John has already had to do some damage control...gotta learn to say nothing but vanilla crap to the media at all time.

This will always be the case with Tebow, until he proves himself one way or another...this guy is a national icon and everyone wants a part of it

baja
01-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Thank god for touch points. It's a really good way to satisfy the build up of tension and uneasy feelings. Now that this is resolved, I think I'll take a nap.

I love the touch points, hell the name alone is erotic.

"Touch Points" that's right up there with, "overarching", "point in time", "drill down" "five tool player" as popular "monkey see monkey do" phrases. Opps there's another one.

We need more touch points.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/wholefoods/upload/2009/01/whole_foods_employee_fired_for/touch.jpg

http://www.taichihealthways.com/images/v_36points.jpg

baja
01-09-2011, 09:20 AM
John Elway touched me with his point. I can't wash that spot now.

TailgateNut
01-09-2011, 09:21 AM
in the ven diagram world, tebowmania is a big circle. broncomania is a smaller circle that is 98% contained in the tebowmania circle. Conincidentally, that other 2% also overlaps with people who don't know that miili vanilli was a hoax, believe dinosaurs didn't exist and the internet is just a fad.srlsy tgn. In the absence of a luck to draft i just can't see how you can't be on board tebowmania right now as a bronco fan. Next year mid season? That's a different story.

lol

baja
01-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Seriously I like the idea of more transparency, haven't we have been calling for that for years now with Shanny and McD being super secret it will be refreshing to have more insight into Dove Valley. Yet the Mainers find away to complain about even this, the thing we have been whining to have for years now. Transparency! God no let's go back to the ways of Shanny & Josh secrecy so we can continue in the old model of beeching about not being told anything. LOL

Pony Boy
01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
In the ven diagram world, TebowMania is a big circle. BroncoMania is a smaller circle that is 98% contained in the TebowMania circle. Conincidentally, That other 2% also overlaps with people who don't know that Miili Vanilli was a hoax, believe dinosaurs didn't exist and the Internet is just a fad.

Srlsy TGN. In the absence of a Luck to draft I just can't see how you can't be on board TebowMania right now as a Bronco fan. Next year mid season? That's a different story.

He will be changing his name to "TebowNut" next year........^5

zdoor
01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Elway handled a bad situation pretty well IMO. I'd bet King initiated the interview with Elway and since John is repairing our image, he did the interview. King likely asked a variety of questions about coaches and expectedly, Tebow. Elway gives his standard response and King sensationalized it.

It could have been handled better but by quickly squashing it he's already shown he's a mile better than the previous regime, who couldn't find their thangs with both hands....

mikey555
01-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Until his KOA interview when he basically slammed Josh, lol.

is there a link maybe??

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 09:42 AM
If it gets people in seats and yelling, there's no difference whatsoever.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Problem is we didn't need this news to begin with. Headlines read "Elway wants to trade Tebow".

Problem is you can't stop the media from writing completely unsubstantiated headlines.

You either deal with it, or deal with McDaniels' style of completely shutting the franchise off from the fans. Which do you prefer?

ghwk
01-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Seriously...this was a huge gamble, plucking the legend of the franchise from a failed Arena League venture and installing him into the top spot in the organization based on his athletic career. That is another model we have already seen, and this one that has a considerable history of failure. Superstar athletes rarely make good front office executives. Theories abounda as to why...it's not important if John turns out to be the exception to that rule. Fans need to chill out and let him have some room to grow, make a few small mistakes and go through some growth pains, BUT with the understanding that Bowlen has found the solution moving forward now. If he has, things done with Josh will be forgotten in short order as the team returns to respectability and then to playoff contention. But if they don't...this fan base, much of it to young to remember the days when beatings on the field like we saw this year were routine, will turn on Elway as quickly as some turned on Shanahan. Make no mistake, he deserved to be fired, probably a year earlier IMO...but sans Shanahan, this team is Chief-like in their last 20 years. Bottom line...we need Elway to be as nimble with his mouth as he was with his feet in escaping the rush, and he needs to do better than his rookie TD/INTs ratio or we're in for a very rough ride.

Perfectly written. End Thread.

I had this same conversation with a guy at baseball practice for our kids yesterday. We are both Colorado guys at heart when it comes to the Bronco's and Rockies. This was a high risk move for Elway, I hope he pulls it off. I just can't shake the visions of Matt Millen.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM

So are you telling me there is NOT a highly incnreased show of support and enthusiasm being shown by the fan base? That doesn't jive with anything I've seen so far.

Agamemnon
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
The only person needing to do damage control is Peter King. Nothing Elway said to him indicated that they were looking to trade Tebow, yet he reported as much anyway. It was a calculated misreporting of the facts for the sake of sensationalism. The media is such a joke.

strafen
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Until his KOA interview when he basically slammed Josh, lol.Because he, me, and a few other fans immediately realized from the get go, that McDaniels was never a Bronco, if you know what I'm saying...
The extent of the damage(s) by McDaniels goes beyond the crappy team he left us with. It reaches the fans, the dignity of the Broncos franchise and our pride...

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 11:06 AM
The only person needing to do damage control is Peter King. Nothing Elway said to him indicated that they were looking to trade Tebow, yet he reported as much anyway. It was a calculated misreporting of the facts for the sake of sensationalism. The media is such a joke.
My take exactly. The only people who are freaking out about this are the people who were already freaking out about Elway and the FO.

Elway has nothing to answer to here, but nonetheless, did a nice job of shutting King up.

Hamrob
01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Peter king is a fat piece of DUNG! He stirred this crap up on purpose. He'd love nothing more than for Elway to have egg on his face. That's all fat piece of worthless DUNG are good for!!!

OrangeSe7en
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
SI (since Peter King works for SI) created its own news. This is all kind of pathetic. Elway should maybe be more careful but this is more about the hack that Peter King is.

KipCorrington25
01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah I agree King is a low life scumbag and this was all his doing and intentional also to make himself seem relevant.

Dagmar
01-09-2011, 01:21 PM
If the Broncos want this city to be excited about it's football team again, go into 2011 with Tim Tebow as QB and leader of this team. If you want to continue the general malaise that has enveloped the city since the end of the Redskins game in '09, trade Tebow.

broncocalijohn
01-09-2011, 02:35 PM

You are setting yourself up more for failure than those that support Tebow. I dont think that many people are at the Texans or Chargers game if Tebow wasnt the quarterback. As of right now (in the end of the season), he was pretty much the only thing to get excited about before the season ended. He sells jerseys, he brings in a whole new set of fans and is exciting to watch. Reminds me of someone from almost 30 years ago when he arrived in Denver.

peacepipe
01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
The broncos winning will put fans in the seats regardless of wether tebow is the QB or not. If its about 1 player than they're not really bronco fans.

Bronco Yoda
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Problem is you can't stop the media from writing completely unsubstantiated headlines.

You either deal with it, or deal with McDaniels' style of completely shutting the franchise off from the fans. Which do you prefer?

this

listopencil
01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Seriously...this was a huge gamble, plucking the legend of the franchise from a failed Arena League venture

Lets kill that rumor too...The Crush had six seasons, 2003-2008. The first (expansion) season they went 2-14 and Elway fired the Head Coach, who he had strong personal ties with. Over the next five seasons with a different coach they made the playoffs three times, won their division two times and won one league championship. Hardly a failed Arena League venture. The league itself folded from lack of revenue. Imagine if the next five years of the Denver Broncos under Elway went as well as the last five years of the Orange Crush did under Elway. I think all of us would just be pissing all over ourselves with joy.

bombay
01-09-2011, 05:38 PM
This needed another thead.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Lets kill that rumor too...The Crush had six seasons, 2003-2008. The first (expansion) season they went 2-14 and Elway fired the Head Coach, who he had strong personal ties with. Over the next five seasons with a different coach they made the playoffs three times, won their division two times and won one league championship. Hardly a failed Arena League venture. The league itself folded from lack of revenue. Imagine if the next five years of the Denver Broncos under Elway went as well as the last five years of the Orange Crush did under Elway. I think all of us would just be pissing all over ourselves with joy.
I was speaking about the league, not the Crush. The point is not a knock on Elway, it's a comment on the situation he's been put in.

scttgrd
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM
The broncos winning will put fans in the seats regardless of wether tebow is the QB or not. If its about 1 player than they're not really bronco fans.

Bingo, fans always show in this town for a winner. Tebow is empty hope at this point. Go with the fans here for Tebow, or excite the fans that have been around and will be weather Tebow is here or not.