PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mock Offseasons 1.0 (3-4 and 4-3)

GoBroncos84
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Obviously it's very early. We don't even have a coach or scheme yet. We have a couple of months of pro days, combine, and other assessments to see where players should go in the draft. This is just for fun. We are sitting home watching other teams play today, so it's hard to not think about next season. Enjoy, and I look forward to your feeback.

3-4 Offseason

Re-sign- Champ Bailey, Ryan Harris, Wesley Woodyard, Marcus Thomas, Matt Prater (ERFA)

Trade- Kyle Orton (3rd Round Pick)

Trade back from #2 staying in top 10, pick up 3rd round pick in that trade. Trade a 2nd and a 3rd to get back into the 20's

Release- Daniel Graham, Spencer Larsen, Renaldo Hill, Correll Buckhalter, Jamal Williams

Free Agency

FB- Vonta Leach (ALT: Le'Ron McClain, Ahmard Hall, Lawrence Vickers)

TE- Zach Miller (ALT: Owen Daniels, Marcedes Lewis, Bo Scaife)

NT- Paul Soliai

ILB- David Harris (ALT: Kirk Morrison)

Draft

1a- Marcell Dareus DE/DT Alabama
1b- Allen Bailey DE/DT Miami (ALT: J.J. Watt, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward)
2- Jerrell Powe NT Ole Miss ( ALT: Phil Taylor, Kedrick Ellis)
3a- Deunta Williams FS North Carolina (ALT: Quinton Carter)
3b- Jimmy Smith CB Colorado (ALT: Curtis Brown)
6a- Derrick Locke RB Kentucky (ALT: Quizz Rodgers)
6b- James Brewer OT Indiana (ALT: Joseph Barksdale, Chris Hairston, Kyle Hix)

Analysis

Offensively we have some good pieces in place. We are 5 or 6 deep at receiver. When healthy Clady, Harris, and Kuper are among the best in the league at their positions. We need young players like Tebow, Thomas, Moreno, Beadles, Walton, and Royal to continue to develop and elevate their game. As for glaring holes, I think the tight end and fullback position should be targeted. I selected Vonta Leach and Zach Miller as my preferred targets, but listed some alternates as well. The best friends of a young QB are his running game and a reliable tight end he can dump the ball to on 3rd downs and as a checkdown, so those needs are addressed. Miller can be a safety valve but is also a vertical threat and the added bonus is our gain would be Oakland's loss. I add depth and speed to the running back position by drafting Locke and add depth to the offensive line with our last pick.

The top of the draft favors a 4-3 defense, so if we keep the 3-4 I think it's vital that we find a trading partner so we can move back and get Dareus, then use that compensation to get back into the end of the 1st round to catch the best projected 5 technique player still on the board. I'm big on Allen Bailey. Defensively we need massive upgrades. 2 big free agent signings for the front 7 and our first 5 draft picks all go to defense. In this scenario, we end up with a vastly improved defense. Dareus and Bailey could be the starting ends for a long time. Pro Football Focus rates Paul Soliai as the 13th best defensive lineman in football right now, so adding him at NT would be an upgrade over Jamal Williams. Powe is drafted to replace Fields. This linebacker corps would probably be the best in the league. The play of our secondary would automatically improve by having a revamped front 7 and a pass rush, but even that unit is upgraded. Dawkins goes to SS and plays mostly in-the-box for run support, blitzing, and provides his usual great leadership. A young rangey safety is brought in to cover, and a young corner from this extremely talented and deep class is brought in as well.

Roster

QB- Tebow, Quinn, Vet QB
RB- Moreno, Locke, White
FB- Leach
WR- Lloyd, Thomas, Royal, Gaffney, Decker, Willis
TE- Miller, Quinn, Gronkowski

LT- Clady, C. Clark
LG- Beadles, E. Olsen
C- Walton, Hochstein
RG- Kuper
RT- Harris, Brewer

LE- Bannen, Bailey, Thomas
NT- Soliai, Powe
RE- Dareus, Vickerson

SOLB- Robert Ayers, Mario Haggan
SILB- David Harris, Joe Mays
WILB- D.J. Williams, Wesley Woodyard
WOLB- Elvis Dumervil, Jason Hunter

CB- Bailey, Goodman, Smith, Thompson, Vaughn (Cox?)
FS- Williams, McBath
SS- Dawkins, Bruton

K- Matt Prater
P- Britton Colquitt
LS- Lonnie Paxton

GoBroncos84
01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
4-3 Offseason

Re-sign- Champ Bailey, Ryan Harris, Wesley Woodyard, Marcus Thomas, Matt Prater (ERFA)

Release- Daniel Graham, Spencer Larsen, Renaldo Hill, Correll Buckhalter, Jamal Williams

Free Agency

DT- Brandon Mebane (ALT: Richard Seymour)

Trade Orton for 3rd round pick

Draft

1- Nick Fairley DT Auburn
2a- Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2b- Ras-I Dowling, CB Virginia (ALT: Brandon Burton, Aaron Williams, Jimmy Smith, Curtis Brown)
3a- Quan Sturdivant MLB North Carolina (ALT: Greg Jones, Mark Herzlich, Colin McCarthy)
3b- Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh (ALT: Sam Acho, Pernell McPhee)
6b- James Brewer RT Indiana (ALT: Joseph Barksdale, Chris Hairston, Kyle Hix)

Roster

DE- Doom, Ayers, Romeus, add rotational DE via free agency
DT- Fairley, Mebane, Bannen, Thomas
LB- Williams, Sturdivant, Haggan, Woodyard, Mays, Hunter
CB- Bailey, Goodman, Dowling, Thompson, Vaughn, (Cox?)
S- Dawkins, Moore, McBath, Bruton

Analysis

Offense is the same in 3-4 and 4-3 mocks.

Defensively we end up with the top rated interior D-lineman in the draft and the top rated safety. As with the previous post, 5 draft picks dedicated to defense. Brandon Mebane is an extremely good player and would vastly improve our defense. D.J. Williams moves to weakside linebacker with Sturdivant starting in the middle unless Joe Mays can hold him off for a year. Doom, Ayers, Fairley, and Mebane would be scary good. We would not be complaining about our defensive line

Hercules Rockefeller
01-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Jimmy Smith will be gone well before Denver picks a second time in the 3rd round, and it would cost more than a 3rd round pick for just Buffalo to swap spots with the Broncos in the 1st round.

mattob14
01-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I like a lot of what you have here, but I doubt Denver's that aggressive in Free Agency. I could see Vickers/Scaife, then maybe grab a couple of budget defensive players, but the focus will be on the draft. The drafts aren't bad, probably more emphasis on the secondary than what I'd prefer, but they're pretty solid overall.

Agamemnon
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Not bad overall. The free agency scenarios seem like pipe dreams though.

meangene
01-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Love the 4-3 draft. Isn't Kevin Boss a FA? I would put him on the TE wish list.

GoBroncos84
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Love the 4-3 draft. Isn't Kevin Boss a FA? I would put him on the TE wish list.

You are right. He would make the list as well.

misturanderson
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
We absolutely need a better option at SS than Dawkins this year, or at least someone with more potential than Bruton pushing him for that spot. Dawk was downright awful this past year, regardless of how bad the scheme may have been.

ColoradoBuff
01-14-2011, 11:54 AM
i love the 2 UNC players.....Sturdivant and Deunta Williams!!!!!

peacepipe
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Obviously it's very early. We don't even have a coach or scheme yet. We have a couple of months of pro days, combine, and other assessments to see where players should go in the draft. This is just for fun. We are sitting home watching other teams play today, so it's hard to not think about next season. Enjoy, and I look forward to your feeback.

3-4 Offseason

Trade- Kyle Orton (3rd Round Pick)

Trade back from #2 staying in top 10, pick up 3rd round pick in that trade. Trade a 2nd and a 3rd to get back into the 20's

Free Agency

NT- Paul Soliai

ILB- David Harris (ALT: Kirk Morrison)

Draft

1a- Marcell Dareus DE/DT Alabama
1b- Allen Bailey DE/DT Miami (ALT: J.J. Watt, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward)
2- Jerrell Powe NT Ole Miss ( ALT: Phil Taylor, Kedrick Ellis)
3a- Deunta Williams FS North Carolina (ALT: Quinton Carter)
3b- Jimmy Smith CB Colorado (ALT: Curtis Brown)
6b- James Brewer OT Indiana (ALT: Joseph Barksdale, Chris Hairston, Kyle Hix)

Analysis

Offensively we have some good pieces in place. We are 5 or 6 deep at receiver. When healthy Clady, Harris, and Kuper are among the best in the league at their positions. We need young players like Tebow, Thomas, Moreno, Beadles, Walton, and Royal to continue to develop and elevate their game. As for glaring holes, I think the tight end and fullback position should be targeted. I selected Vonta Leach and Zach Miller as my preferred targets, but listed some alternates as well. The best friends of a young QB are his running game and a reliable tight end he can dump the ball to on 3rd downs and as a checkdown, so those needs are addressed. Miller can be a safety valve but is also a vertical threat and the added bonus is our gain would be Oakland's loss. I add depth and speed to the running back position by drafting Locke and add depth to the offensive line with our last pick.

The top of the draft favors a 4-3 defense, so if we keep the 3-4 I think it's vital that we find a trading partner so we can move back and get Dareus, then use that compensation to get back into the end of the 1st round to catch the best projected 5 technique player still on the board. I'm big on Allen Bailey. Defensively we need massive upgrades. 2 big free agent signings for the front 7 and our first 5 draft picks all go to defense. In this scenario, we end up with a vastly improved defense. Dareus and Bailey could be the starting ends for a long time. Pro Football Focus rates Paul Soliai as the 13th best defensive lineman in football right now, so adding him at NT would be an upgrade over Jamal Williams. Powe is drafted to replace Fields. This linebacker corps would probably be the best in the league. The play of our secondary would automatically improve by having a revamped front 7 and a pass rush, but even that unit is upgraded. Dawkins goes to SS and plays mostly in-the-box for run support, blitzing, and provides his usual great leadership. A young rangey safety is brought in to cover, and a young corner from this extremely talented and deep class is brought in as well.

Roster

QB- Tebow, Quinn, Vet QB
RB- Moreno, Locke, White
FB- Leach
WR- Lloyd, Thomas, Royal, Gaffney, Decker, Willis
TE- Miller, Quinn, Gronkowski

LT- Clady, C. Clark
LG- Beadles, E. Olsen
C- Walton, Hochstein
RG- Kuper
RT- Harris, Brewer

LE- Bannen, Bailey, Thomas
NT- Soliai, Powe
RE- Dareus, Vickerson

SOLB- Robert Ayers, Mario Haggan
SILB- David Harris, Joe Mays
WILB- D.J. Williams, Wesley Woodyard
WOLB- Elvis Dumervil, Jason Hunter

CB- Bailey, Goodman, Smith, Thompson, Vaughn (Cox?)
FS- Williams, McBath
SS- Dawkins, Bruton

K- Matt Prater
P- Britton Colquitt
LS- Lonnie Paxton

Not to nit pick but we'll get a 2nd in a trade down.

nickademus
01-14-2011, 09:31 PM
4-3 Offseason

Free Agency

DT- Brandon Mebane (ALT: Richard Seymour)

Trade Orton for 3rd round pick

Draft

1- Nick Fairley DT Auburn
2a- Rahim Moore FS UCLA
2b- Ras-I Dowling, CB Virginia (ALT: Brandon Burton, Aaron Williams, Jimmy Smith, Curtis Brown)
3a- Quan Sturdivant MLB North Carolina (ALT: Greg Jones, Mark Herzlich, Colin McCarthy)
3b- Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh (ALT: Sam Acho, Pernell McPhee)
6b- James Brewer RT Indiana (ALT: Joseph Barksdale, Chris Hairston, Kyle Hix)

Roster

DE- Doom, Ayers, Romeus, add rotational DE via free agency
DT- Fairley, Mebane, Bannen, Thomas
LB- Williams, Sturdivant, Haggan, Woodyard, Mays, Hunter
CB- Bailey, Goodman, Dowling, Thompson, Vaughn, (Cox?)
S- Dawkins, Moore, McBath, Bruton

Analysis

Offense is the same in 3-4 and 4-3 mocks.

Defensively we end up with the top rated interior D-lineman in the draft and the top rated safety. As with the previous post, 5 draft picks dedicated to defense. Brandon Mebane is an extremely good player and would vastly improve our defense. D.J. Williams moves to weakside linebacker with Sturdivant starting in the middle unless Joe Mays can hold him off for a year. Doom, Ayers, Fairley, and Mebane would be scary good. We would not be complaining about our defensive line

this seems far more likely however I would rather grab another DE with the first second round pick. as far as a Mathews in the 3rd or gregg jones in the second I havent seen much of Sturdivant but both MLB and SAM are needs.

Baba Booey
01-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Hunter can play DE, no?

nickademus
01-16-2011, 08:51 AM
no