PDA

View Full Version : Marty Mornhinweg

Ray Finkle
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Other than Fewell, I don't see a candidate I am crazy about. If people like Mark Meelarky, why not Mornhinweg when the Eagles are bounced.

bowtown
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd be all for it. Interview as many guys as possible.

Ray Finkle
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
He ran a good offense under Mooch in SF. Has done well in Philly....crapped out in Detroit but I'll give him a pass on that.

yerner
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Prior to last season ESPN magazine was doing an article on Belichick and on what makes head coaches successful. They figured out a formula that included things like prior head coaching experience, cordinator experience and other factors. When all the numbers were calculated, for lack of a better term, Marty came out on top as the next great head coach.

Ray Finkle
01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Prior to last season ESPN magazine was doing an article on Belichick and on what makes head coaches successful. They figured out a formula that included things like prior head coaching experience, cordinator experience and other factors. When all the numbers were calculated, for lack of a better term, Marty came out on top as the next great head coach.

read that.....that's what peaked my interest a few weeks ago.

spdirty
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM

cool.http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4797666&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4797666

yerner
01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
read that.....that's what peaked my interest a few weeks ago.

I think his name gets in his way. Seriously.

Ray Finkle
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4797666

Bronco Boy
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
He's my pick, he deserves another chance as a head coach.

Likwid Kerruj
In Detroit, he declined the ball after winning the toss in overtime.

Pass.

bowtown
I do hope we wait for some of these guys that are in the playoffs right now before making our decision. It would be a shame to sacrifice due diligence, simply because we were eager to get a guy in place. It will be hilarious though, this place is going to be a lunatic farm if we still don't have a coach in two weeks... or one week... or by tomorrow.

frerottenextelway
01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I do hope we wait for some of these guys that are in the playoffs right now before making our decision. It would be a shame to sacrifice due diligence, simply because we were eager to get a guy in place. It will be hilarious though, this place is going to be a lunatic farm if we still don't have a coach in two weeks... or one week... or by tomorrow.

Yep.

A lot of the Mane is spending the weekend with their therapists because Elway didn't hire a guy in his first 48 hours.

schaaf
01-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Yep.

A lot of the Mane is spending the weekend with their therapists because Elway didn't hire a guy in his first 48 hours.

wait, thats not normal?

Cmac821
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Pass.

lol, is that not the players fault?

Bronco Boy
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

That's kind of a double-edged sword though because you don't want to lose a guy to another team while you had your finger up your butt waiting for the playoffs to end.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
That's kind of a double-edged sword though because you don't want to lose a guy to another team while you had your finger up your butt waiting for the playoffs to end.

Yup, waiting can pay off but you do have to be careful. Not only might you lose out on some HC candidates but other teams that have their HC in place are starting to interview for staff positions, including DC and OC, and the best guys will be spoken for very quickly. So more than anything you have to have a plan and be decisive.

ayjackson
01-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Pass.

Probably thought (and rightly so) that their best chance of winning was a muffed kick.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Pass.

Good thing no other coaching candidate on our list has ever made a mistake.

/rolleyes

Likwid Kerruj
01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Good thing no other coaching candidate on our list has ever made a mistake.

/rolleyes

As stupid a decision as that one?

Not hardly.

I like MM as an assistant, but not as a head coach.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-08-2011, 11:26 AM
As stupid a decision as that one?

Not hardly.

I like MM as an assistant, but not as a head coach.

Then you're missing the boat. Truly.

ayjackson
01-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I remember a coach `going for it` on fourth and two, up a score, deep in his own half, in the last two minutes of a game. Talk about stupid. Pitty the team who has that stupid a head coach.

Seriously, MM isn`t the first coach who`s sent his defence out to start OT. I don`t remember the game so am not sure about the context. But I imagine context is important and I`m guessing he felt that it would be a field position battle in OT.

Likwid Kerruj
01-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Then you're missing the boat. Truly.

Aye, aye, Captain.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/loveboatnews.jpg

Likwid Kerruj
01-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I remember a coach `going for it` on fourth and two, up a score, deep in his own half, in the last two minutes of a game. Talk about stupid. Pitty the team who has that stupid a head coach.

Seriously, MM isn`t the first coach who`s sent his defence out to start OT. I don`t remember the game so am not sure about the context. But I imagine context is important and I`m guessing he felt that it would be a field position battle in OT.

I know after my defense gives up 10 points in the last 4 minutes, I'm going to send them right back out.

Wind be damned!

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2002112405

ayjackson
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I know after my defense gives up 10 points in the last 4 minutes, I'm going to send them right back out.

Wind be damned!

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2002112405

You may be right - can`t tell much from a boxscore.

McDman
01-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Pass.

Yes, one bad call should keep him out of our coaching search. Brilliant!

SoCalBronco
01-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Umm.....because he was beyond awful already as a HC and doesn't really have anything that other candidates don't have.

Bronco Boy
01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
doesn't really have anything that other candidates don't have.

Like what, some sort of magic whistle?

Mjolnir
01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Hmmm...he coached what some people considered to be a project QB into the comeback player of the year. Is there really an argument against bringing him in?

SoCalBronco
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Hmmm...he coached what some people considered to be a project QB into the comeback player of the year. Is there really an argument against bringing him in?

Josh was a magnificent developer of QB's and also WR's, but we just got rid of him as it seemed taking on the HC gig was a bit too much this early in his career, why would we do the same thing? MM showed literally nothing the last time he was a HC. Honestly, if this is the best we can do, we have huge issues.

bowtown
01-08-2011, 05:19 PM
c

Ray Finkle
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Josh was a magnificent developer of QB's and also WR's, but we just got rid of him as it seemed taking on the HC gig was a bit too much this early in his career, why would we do the same thing? MM showed literally nothing the last time he was a HC. Honestly, if this is the best we can do, we have huge issues.

I would rather take a shot at MM then the following:

1. MENSA Dennison
2. Williams
3. Most of the rest of the field.

Fewel's my choice.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Pass.

Shanny did this in Buffalo during our Super Bowl season in 97. We won that game

Dedhed
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Like what, some sort of magic whistle?

Like ties to Shanahan or some sort of nostalgic connection to the glory days.

Ray Finkle
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM

MM was a good OC and was given a crap team in Detroit. He has done a great job since taking over as the play caller in Philly.

Likwid Kerruj
01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Shanny did this in Buffalo during our Super Bowl season in 97. We won that game

Yes, he and Reeves are 2 of the 5 coaches who won employing the strategy.

Noone (I hope) is confusing the 2002 Lions with the 1988 or 1997 Broncos.

McDman
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

It's impossible to judge him off of his Detroit stint, that town kills more coaches than any other job in sports.

McDman
01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes, he and Reeves are 2 of the 5 coaches who won employing the strategy.

Noone (I hope) is confusing the 2002 Lions with the 1988 or 1997 Broncos.

If I recall the defense was vastly outplaying their offense in that game.

elsid13
01-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Umm.....because he was beyond awful already as a HC and doesn't really have anything that other candidates don't have.

He was awful is first time around. That doesn't mean he won't have learned from his mistakes and actually change his course of actions.

Jesterhole
01-09-2011, 05:26 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2jEWc127As?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2jEWc127As?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

No Thanks

Dendave
01-09-2011, 06:19 AM
no way

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 06:43 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2jEWc127As?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2jEWc127As?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

No Thanks

What, precisely, did you take away from that video? I already knew the Foo Fighters rocked.

Christ almighty, none of you guys think he might have been hamstrung by the organization he was in, by the GM he had?

I sincerely hope we give him a shot at an interview. I think he'd make an excellent head coach, and would be a GREAT developer of Tim Tebow.

TonyR
01-09-2011, 07:39 AM
I sincerely hope we give him a shot at an interview. I think he'd make an excellent head coach, and would be a GREAT developer of Tim Tebow.

Agree. Andy Reid thought enough of him to make him asst head coach and OC in Philly, and to the the extent he deserves credit for Vick's season you have to at least consider the guy.