01-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Of all the "candidates" mentioned John Fox makes the most sense

Ratboy
01-07-2011, 09:21 PM
We're ****ed.

I rather go with Studesville.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Not sure how I feel about a coach coming off a 2-14 season.

Then again the guy never had a great QB to rely on, and we all know that's how a team stays competitive year in and year out. I'm also left to wonder how much of that is on some really bad GMing over the last few years.

KevinJames
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM
He took over a 1-15 team and turned took them to the Superbowl 2 years later..... and he learned from a lot of great coaches

why would anyone not want want John Fox over guys like Fewell?

uplink
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
makes sense, 9 years HC experience but maybe still hungry since he didn't win it all. Been to a SB. Hard to believe he would field a defense as bad as the broncos have had over the last decade.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Mark it, Melikey.

Fox has been a good coach. I wouldn't hire him because there were situations this year where I felt he may have given up on his team, but I'd definetly interview him.

bowtown
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Please let this happen.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 09:28 PM
He took over a 1-15 team and turned took them to the Superbowl 2 years later..... and he learned from a lot of great coaches

He took over a 1-15 team and left it a 2-14 team. I agree the dude needs an interview, but no reason to pointlessly slam Fewell for no reason.

DenverBrit
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Do our FO know what they are doing?

They could probably use some of your insight.

KevinJames
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
He took over a 1-15 team and left it a 2-14 team. I agree the dude needs an interview, but no reason to pointlessly slam Fewell for no reason.

Whats so great about Fewell lol

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM

He just rode that same team into the ground? That might be why...

loborugger
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I know I am in vast minority on this, but I like the John Fox idea.

razorwire77
01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
We could do a lot worse than John Fox *cough* Rick Dennison *cough*

bowtown
01-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Well I'm on board as loving it. Up unitl 2 seasons ago, he would have been the hottest coach on the market. Knows how to build a defense. Has tons of experience. Is ready for a change. Get. This. Guy. Now.

outdoor_miner
01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I think I like it. But what the hell do I know?

yerner
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
He is a great coach that deals with a cheap owner. What type of d does he run?

bowtown
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
He is a great coach that deals with a cheap owner. What type of d does he run?

4-3. But he's sooooo good at it.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Whats so great about Fewell lol

Well, he did produce more wins as an interim coach for the Bills than Fox did this entire year.

And I don't mean to diss Fox. He's been one of my favorite coaches until this year. There were spots this year where he tossed in the white flag, and that makes me hesitant.

Maybe Tebow can teach him to never give up!

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Well I'm on board as loving it. Up unitl 2 seasons ago, he would have been the hottest coach on the market. Knows how to build a defense. Has tons of experience. Is ready for a change. Get. This. Guy. Now.

He also likes to run the ball. :thumbs:

Taco John
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I'd rather have Billick.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Interesting stort about Fox and Carolina:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/19/john-fox-accused-of-mutiny-in-carolina/

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, he did produce more wins as an interim coach for the Bills than Fox did this entire year.

And I don't mean to diss Fox. He's been one of my favorite coaches until this year. There were spots this year where he tossed in the white flag, and that makes me hesitant.

Maybe Tebow can teach him to never give up!

Doing some research I'm getting the impression he didn't want to be there anymore. Not sure what that says about him, as he could've quit.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd rather have Billick.

Oh God no....

bowtown
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Doing some research I'm getting the impression he didn't want to be there anymore. Not sure what that says about him, as he could've quit.

Sucks for them. Good for us.

scorpio
01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd be okay with Fox. The Panthers record this year has more to do with the front office than him, imo.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 09:54 PM

What I'm talking about is there were spots this year where they were down like 12 with 3:00 to play and it's 4th and 6 (not exact obv), and he would punt.

It felt like he took a really bad situation and made the worse of it. He didn't try to beat the odds. It really surprised me.

rbackfactory80
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
well i'm on board as loving it. Up unitl 2 seasons ago, he would have been the hottest coach on the market. Knows how to build a defense. Has tons of experience. Is ready for a change. Get. This. Guy. Now.

f.a.s.s.e.l.

Crushaholic
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I think the team would be in good hands with John Fox. He's been a winner AND, probably, won't break Bowlen's wallet...

zdoor
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
So far I like Rivera and Fox the best out of what's on our radar...

Dudeskey
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM

The Panthers haven't been exactly a model franchise in terms of how the FO's been doing things & its probably driven Fox to the type of behavior where it seemed like he was trying to get fired. Still worth an interview, hell I wouldn't mind at all if he was Denver's next HC. A change of scenery could be just what he needs (simplistic, I know lol).

ayjackson
01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
So far I like Rivera and Fox the best out of what's on our radar...

That`s how I`m leaning.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
The Panthers haven't been exactly a model franchise in terms of how the FO's been doing things & its probably driven Fox to the type of behavior where it seemed like he was trying to get fired. Still worth an interview, hell I wouldn't mind at all if he was Denver's next HC. A change of scenery could be just what he needs (simplistic, I know lol).

If I was in charge...

I'd ask him for the interview (he's earned it).

I'd blindside him with footage of where he quit this year to start the interview, and ask him on it.

I'd conduct the interview as normal.

Then I'd ask him about where he gave up again to end the interview, after he had some time to steam about it internally.

I think by the end you'd get a pretty clear impression of what you could expect from him going forward.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 10:30 PM
If I was in charge...

I'd ask him for the interview (he's earned it).

I'd blindside him with footage of where he quit this year to start the interview, and ask him on it.

I'd conduct the interview as normal.

Then I'd ask him about where he gave up again to end the interview, after he had some time to steam about it internally.

I think by the end you'd get a pretty clear impression of what you could expect from him going forward.

You really think that's more important than what his plans would be for the Broncos?

Taco John
01-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I think that Rivera would be the coach who would be most broadly accepted by the Broncos fanbase at this point.

Hamrob
01-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd rather have Billick.Not me. He's not a Tebow guy.

I want a Defensive HC and an OC and QB coach who can work to groom Tebow.

Like Elway said, there are going to be three guys looking at the personnel moves...The HC, Xanders and Elway. Well, Elway knows offense....they need someone who knows defense. Plus a Defensive guy will build a running game and a defense to support Tebow.

Fox, Williams, Rivera, Fewell...those are all good possibilities.

bowtown
01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I think that Rivera would be the coach who would be most broadly accepted by the Broncos fanbase at this point.

Curious what makes you say that. He's not really a name. He's never been anything other than a DC. You really think the vast majority of casual fans have any idea who Ron Rivera is or what he's done?

Taco John
01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Curious what makes you say that. He's not really a name. He's never been anything other than a DC. You really think the vast majority of casual fans have any idea who Ron Rivera is or what he's done?

Because the die hards who know end up influencing the rest of the fan base. There's plenty of good to be said about Rivera. He has a very rich history of success in the NFL going back to the 85-86 Bears.

And to boot, he's really good on television. He represents himself well.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4hMlrILPNUU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4hMlrILPNUU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Taco John
01-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Plus it would weaken a key division rival.

Count me on the Rivera bus.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 10:39 PM
You really think that's more important than what his plans would be for the Broncos?

If the head coach is a quitter or not? Yes!

bowtown
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Because the die hards who know end up influencing the rest of the fan base. There's plenty of good to be said about Rivera. He has a very rich history of success in the NFL going back to the 85-86 Bears.

And to boot, he's really good on television. He represents himself well.

LOL. Yeah, the die hards always influence the rest of the fan base. Don't kid yourself. Woody, Kizla and ESPN influence the rest of the fan base. Ron Rivera at this point would be nothing more to a casual fan than an ex-Charger. You can't tell me that he's going to be more known and accepted than a Gruden, Cowher, Fox, or even a Dennison or Studesville.

I agree that he's a pretty good candiate. But stop trying to pass your preference off as some grand acceptance by the Broncos' fan base.

serious hops
01-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I think he's a good candidate. Let's face it, our front office isn't exactly overflowing with experience. I think a solid veteran coach like Fox could provide a badly-needed steadying influence and some immediate sense of direction. This offseason's going to be important to us, and it would be nice to know that one of the guys giving input on free agent acquisition and the draft is a level-headed, defensive-minded guy who's been around the league and knows what he's doing.

Granted, his tenure in Carolina was more "solid" than "brilliant," but it's not like Bill Walsh or his equivalent is on our interview list. . . Fox at least ran a credible program that won three division titles in nine years and went to a Super Bowl. Might have won it if the dumbass kicker doesn't boot it out of bounds. His results weren't that bad with Jake freakin' Delhomme as his quarterback. Most importantly to me, their scoring defense never once finished out of the top fifteen before this cluster**** season. I would gladly take some of that here, thanks. Build a respectable defense and a running game for Tebow to lean on. That's something I think Fox has shown he can accomplish.

Taco John
01-07-2011, 10:52 PM
LOL. Yeah, the die hards always influence the rest of the fan base. Don't kid yourself. Woody, Kizla and ESPN influence the rest of the fan base. Ron Rivera at this point would be nothing more to a casual fan than an ex-Charger. You can't tell me that he's going to be more known and accepted than a Gruden, Cowher, Fox, or even a Dennison or Studesville.

I agree that he's a pretty good candiate. But stop trying to pass your preference off as some grand acceptance by the Broncos' fan base.

It's too Friday night for me to explain social influence theory to you, and the fact that the people you mentioned are a part of it.

Just for fun, though... What percentage of Broncos fans do you think read Woody or Kiszla?

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I am totally off the Rivera bus. don't put me anywhere near that bandwagon. The guy is okay, but there is a reason he hasn't been a HC. No thanks, pass, pass pass. Not saying you can judge one game but did you see how sloppy his defense looked against Cinncy when they needed a win. I don't trust anyone that has learned under Norv, the guy is a complete POS(norv that is). I've been saying this for a while, but give me Perry Fewell, the guy gets the most out of his players, he is young, a guy that can lead the team for many years. Rivera is okay, but he doesn't have the "it" for me. Call me crazy.

bowtown
01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
It's too Friday night for me to explain social influence theory to you, and the fact that the people you mentioned are a part of it.

Just for fun, though... What percentage of Broncos fans do you think read Woody or Kiszla?

Okay, maybe tomorrow you can explain it to me. But for now, if I had to guess, I'd guess maybe 40-50% of them read Woody or Kizla, and I think maybe 70% or more of them watch ESPN which is even more removed and uninformed about the team. So for the rest and even many of the others, if they read about Rivera coming in for an interview and read his biography in the paper or online, they are going to see Chargers first. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but I think there are at least 5-10 other candidates out there that would be more recognized and more accepted by the entire Broncos' fan base.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Here's one of the problems with Rivera (or any other defensive minded head coach). Hiring a defensive minded a head coach, does not go hand in hand with having continuity on defense unless he wins.

You could hire a defensive minded head coach to have him fix the defense his way, and if he goes 10-6, 9-7, and 11-5, then, fine. No problems. But if it doesnt go that well, you'll be changing coaches. And in that scenario, by changing coaches, you'll also likely be changing defensive schemes, which undermines the desire to have continuity.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Here's one of the problems with Rivera (or any other defensive minded head coach). Hiring a defensive minded a head coach, does not go hand in hand with having continuity on defense unless he wins.

You could hire a defensive minded head coach to have him fix the defense his way, and if he goes 10-6, 9-7, and 11-5, then, fine. No problems. But if it doesnt go that well, you'll be changing coaches. And in that scenario, by changing coaches, you'll also likely be changing defensive schemes, which undermines the desire to have continuity.

Barring some crazy McD-like shenanigans, why would we replace him before three years were up?

bowtown
01-07-2011, 11:14 PM

How is that any different than hiring an offensive minded head coach?

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Actually it's worse at the moment. We have an offense that can score a decent amount of points right now (we scored 25 ppg in Tebow's starts, and he's only going to get better). Hiring a defensive HC would allow us to potentially keep the offensive scheme we have (though adapted to suit the new OC), so that we can focus on the horror that is our defense.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 11:21 PM

Because there's a widely held assumption that there is more talent on the defensive side of the ball and that the defense needs to be built with a proper scheme and new talent that suits that scheme. There's more to work with on offense. The continuity issue has been a bigger problem on defense.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Because there's a widely held assumption that there is more talent on the defensive side of the ball and that the defense needs to be built with a proper scheme and new talent that suits that scheme. There's more to work with on offense. The continuity issue has been a bigger problem on defense.

This came about under offensive-minded head coaches that treated their defensive coordinators as completely disposable. I fail to see your logic...

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
This came about under offensive-minded head coaches that treated their defensive coordinators as completely disposable. I fail to see your logic...

Yeah.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah.

I'd like an explanation. You say that hiring an offensive-minded head coach would be best for defensive stability, but all our defensive instability has taken place under offensive-minded head coaches.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd like an explanation. You say that hiring an offensive-minded head coach would be best for defensive stability, but all our defensive instability has taken place under offensive-minded head coaches.

I'm saying that if you have a defensive minded head coach and the team loses, the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. Conversely, if you pick a competent DC and give them autonomy, like Green Bay did with Capers, New Orleans did with Gregg Williams, or Houston did with Phillips, you can more easily fix other areas without uprooting the whole thing if you start losing.

ZONA
01-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Mark it, Melikey.

Fox has been a good coach. I wouldn't hire him because there were situations this year where I felt he may have given up on his team, but I'd definetly interview him.

you wouldn't hire him but you would interview him? why in the hell would you interview somebody you knew you were not going to hire? :rofl:

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm saying that if you have a defensive minded head coach and the team loses, the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. Conversely, if you pick a competent DC and give them autonomy, like Green Bay did with Capers, New Orleans did with Gregg Williams, or Houston did with Phillips, you can more easily fix other areas without uprooting the whole thing if you start losing.

Okay, but you do see that that isn't how it's worked in the past right? You see that our head coaches have disposed of our defensive coordinators over and over yes? So your theory seems to be undermined by the real world evidence we have.

Meanwhile an offensive-minded head coach is going to come in and completely redo an offense that's actually pretty solid (at least relative to the defense). This is what happened when McD was hired, and it turned out to be a catastrophe.

OrangeSe7en
01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Okay, but you do see that that isn't how it's worked in the past right? You see that our head coaches have disposed of our defensive coordinators over and over yes? So your theory seems to be undermined by the real world evidence we have.

No, its not the same. If you're talking about taking away authority from the head coach, the same thing could be extended to the coordinators. I mentioned this in the other thread. What I'm talking about is the organization, and not the head coach, picking their own defensive coordinator. I realize Williams was picked by Payton, but thats kind of what the organization can do. They can hand pick a defensive guru, whose task is to simply turn the defense around. If you make that person the head coach, then it becomes complicated, especially when the team doesnt perform.

Meanwhile an offensive-minded head coach is going to come in and completely redo an offense that's actually pretty solid (at least relative to the defense). This is what happened when McD was hired, and it turned out to be a catastrophe.

The offense hasn't been the problem as much as the defense.

Agamemnon
01-08-2011, 12:06 AM
No, its not the same. If you're talking about taking away authority from the head coach, the same thing could be extended to the coordinators. I mentioned this in the other thread. What I'm talking about is the organization, and not the head coach, picking their own defensive coordinator. I realize Williams was picked by Payton, but thats kind of what the organization can do. They can hand pick a defensive guru, whose task is to simply turn the defense around. If you make that person the head coach, then it becomes complicated, especially when the team doesnt perform.

So you're advocating a DC that isn't chosen by the HC? What if they don't get along? That could become a mess.

The offense hasn't been the problem as much as the defense.

That's what I said.

OrangeSe7en
01-08-2011, 12:14 AM
So you're advocating a DC that isn't chosen by the HC? What if they don't get along? That could become a mess.

I'm not ruling out or dismissing a head coach from the defensive side of the ball. But I think there is a benefit to making the guy to rebuild your defense the defensive coordinator and not necessarily the head coach.

A defensive coach could be ok, but if he's not winning, theres a very strong chance the defense will be changed again.

Also, I'm not really worried about them not getting along. It's better to risk having that than it is to tolerate or encourage the head coach to hand pick a bunch of yes men whose competence is questionable.

But just as much as you can make the argument for seperating the head coach from picking the players, you can also extend that to the coaching staff.

HEAV
01-08-2011, 12:40 AM
4-3. But he's sooooo good at it.

Juilius Peppers helped.

Rascal
01-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Are we purposely going through the trash heap for our HC interviews?

meangene
01-08-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm so worried we might hire Dennison, I would take almost anybody decent at this point. I would rate Fox as decent, not great, not exciting, but doesn't make me throw up either.

serious hops
01-08-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm so worried we might hire Dennison, I would take almost anybody decent at this point. I would rate Fox as decent, not great, not exciting, but doesn't make me throw up either.

He'll field a competitive team, he won't absolute embarrass the franchise with cheating scandals or constant interpersonal drama, and he'll focus on building the defense and establishing a physical running game. Bring in a good QB coach to help develop Tebow, and it's a recipe for getting the franchise back on track.

Dagmar
01-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Plus it would weaken a key division rival.

Count me on the Rivera bus.

Beep beep! I am also on this bus. If it were to happen, any thoughts on a good OC?

montrose
01-08-2011, 04:31 AM

I'm starting to feel the same way...

elsid13
01-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Hiring Fox, means that McCoy might stick around. McCoy was his OC before he came here.

Jesterhole
01-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Elway’s search extends to John Fox (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/elways-search-extends-to-john-fox/)

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2011, 5:07 AM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/610x7.jpg?w=250 The Broncos acquired a significant amount of goodwill among their fan base by giving the keys to the franchise to a retired Hall of Fame quarterback who has done nothing to prove that he can drive it.
And now they may be exhausting some of that goodwill.
The latest name on the list (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/category/general-broncos/) of potential coaching candidates is John Fox, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post. Fox, who finished his nine-year run in Carolina with a 2-14 record, joins a chase that includes interim coach Eric Studesville, Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, and Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.
Because Fox remains under contract with the Panthers, the Broncos technically had to request permission to interview him. And because he’s the head coach of the Panthers, the Panthers technically can deny the request. But with owner Jerry Richardson announcing that Fox and his staff won’t be back, the Panthers gain nothing by forcing Fox to finish out the final few weeks of his deal.
Widely respected in league circles, it nevertheless will be a challenge to sell Fox’s recent accomplishments to the Denver faithful. Since a surprising loss to the Cardinals in the divisional round of the 2008 NFC playoffs, the Panthers have underachieved and at times flat-out struggled.
The Broncos meanwhile seem to find themselves picking through B-and-C-list candidates, which possibly speaks to a general reluctance by men with options to work with and under an inexperienced John Elways and a marginally experienced G.M. in Brian Xanders.

Drek
01-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Hiring Fox, means that McCoy might stick around. McCoy was his OC before he came here.

QB coach, McCoy got the bump to OC here.

Beep beep! I am also on this bus. If it were to happen, any thoughts on a good OC?

Bill Musgrave, the Asst. HC - QBs in Atlanta. He's very possibly going to tag along with Mularkey wherever he might go, but if Musgrave a. wants to return to Colorado (his home state) b. wants the credit for running an offense on his own (Mularkey is obviously an offensive coach) or c. if Mularkey stays in ATL and Musgrave wants to move up he could be a good option.

Studesville and Fox were actually on the Giants coaching staff together before Fox went to Carolina, so there is a chance he'd be retained, but it'd be an oddity for the NFL for an iterim HC to step down to OC or RB coach to let another person take over.

The biggest plus Fox could offer to the offensive side would be bringing Dave Magazu and Ron Meeks to coach our OL. They've done a very good job in Carolina over the years.

The big dillema is that he's historically leaned towards the OL for his OCs and this team is going to need a standout QB coach with a good passing game to make the most of Tebow.

Not a lot of those guys on the market, unfortunately. The best one we just fired from our HC job.

This is one of the things that makes going for an offensive HC more attractive. More quality DC options out there than quality OC options.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-08-2011, 06:32 AM

There were sort of 9 years in between those two things... And did you see the roster in Carolina this year? Effing TERRIBLE.

gyldenlove
01-08-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm not ruling out or dismissing a head coach from the defensive side of the ball. But I think there is a benefit to making the guy to rebuild your defense the defensive coordinator and not necessarily the head coach.

A defensive coach could be ok, but if he's not winning, theres a very strong chance the defense will be changed again.

Also, I'm not really worried about them not getting along. It's better to risk having that than it is to tolerate or encourage the head coach to hand pick a bunch of yes men whose competence is questionable.

But just as much as you can make the argument for seperating the head coach from picking the players, you can also extend that to the coaching staff.

So you would have the head coach and defensive coordinator compete in some sort of competition when it comes to having the GM sign and draft players or would you let the GM do that without any input?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Juilius Peppers helped.

And losing him in FA hurt.

bowtown
01-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Juilius Peppers helped.

I was referring more to his time as a DC.

Cito Pelon
01-08-2011, 07:05 AM

I like the idea also.

Broncoman13
01-08-2011, 07:20 AM
you wouldn't hire him but you would interview him? why in the hell would you interview somebody you knew you were not going to hire? :rofl:

To get as much input about your team as possible. They can self evaluate all they would like. Ever played fantasy football? You draft your players and then a few weeks down the road you decide you'd like to make a trade. What usually happens? You value the players on your team more than your potential trade partner most of the time. Same thing happens in real life when you are assessing your personnel. Mario Hagan for example. The Broncos staff probably speaks very highly of him. But an outsider looking in probably says, we need to get stronger on setting the edge and Hagans is the greatest liability in that regard.

There will be things brought up during interviews that will cause the Broncos to take note and say, yeah we need to do that, even if we don't hire this guy... That is an idea worth pursuing.

I think Gregg Williams will have a pretty good shot at the job. He has been around Sean Payton for a couple of years now and the Saints have the most successful model in the NFL right now when it comes to connecting to your fans and community. They are extremely open to fans and media and really had to rebuild a franchise in Nawlins.

What I don't know is who are the premiere candidates to be OC if we do go the Defensive HC route? I would guess that you would look at some QB coaches. Guys that have developed players like Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan.

JoRo
01-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Elway’s search extends to John Fox (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/elways-search-extends-to-john-fox/)

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2011, 5:07 AM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/610x7.jpg?w=250 The Broncos acquired a significant amount of goodwill among their fan base by giving the keys to the franchise to a retired Hall of Fame quarterback who has done nothing to prove that he can drive it.
And now they may be exhausting some of that goodwill.
The latest name on the list (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/category/general-broncos/) of potential coaching candidates is John Fox, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post. Fox, who finished his nine-year run in Carolina with a 2-14 record, joins a chase that includes interim coach Eric Studesville, Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, and Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.
Because Fox remains under contract with the Panthers, the Broncos technically had to request permission to interview him. And because he’s the head coach of the Panthers, the Panthers technically can deny the request. But with owner Jerry Richardson announcing that Fox and his staff won’t be back, the Panthers gain nothing by forcing Fox to finish out the final few weeks of his deal.
Widely respected in league circles, it nevertheless will be a challenge to sell Fox’s recent accomplishments to the Denver faithful. Since a surprising loss to the Cardinals in the divisional round of the 2008 NFC playoffs, the Panthers have underachieved and at times flat-out struggled.
The Broncos meanwhile seem to find themselves picking through B-and-C-list candidates, which possibly speaks to a general reluctance by men with options to work with and under an inexperienced John Elways and a marginally experienced G.M. in Brian Xanders.

Florio is an idiot, other than Harbaugh who was the A list candidates?

TonyR
01-08-2011, 07:35 AM

Amen, I feel exactly the same way.

db56
01-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm on board if they decide to go with Fox.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 07:49 AM

It's a fair point to say that there aren't a lot of bona fide "A list" candidates out there. But it's also a fair point that candidates don't seem to be eagerly lining up to take the Broncos job.

Dedhed
01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
We could do a lot worse than John Fox *cough* Rick Dennison *cough*
It is amazing to me that there is one person who would prefer Dennison to Fox.

meangene
01-08-2011, 08:53 AM
It's a fair point to say that there aren't a lot of bona fide "A list" candidates out there. But it's also a fair point that candidates don't seem to be eagerly lining up to take the Broncos job.

Still stunning to me that we are not pursuing Rivera. His resume is outstanding, he knows our personnel and the AFC West, has shown the flexibility to successfully run both the 3-4 and the 4-3. Oh never mind, we have Rick - the King of Suck - Dennison and the Kotex guy from Jax...

elsid13
01-08-2011, 08:58 AM
It is amazing to me that there is one person who would prefer Dennison to Fox.

I prefer Dennison to Fox, big time. Everyone that talks about how smart he is, (Kuper's Dad stated that learned McDaniels within a Month), he understand what it means to be professional in the NFL having played, has good working relationship with both players and coaches, and according to the reports when interviewed with the FO the first time had very very solid plan to go fix the defense. He remind me a lot Mike Smith from Atlanta.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Still stunning to me that we are not pursuing Rivera...

It was reported last night that he is on "the list". Xanders mentioned him on Sirius last night.

meangene
01-08-2011, 09:00 AM
It was reported last night that he is on "the list". Xanders mentioned him on Sirius last night.

That's some GOOD news for a change!

zdoor
01-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Still stunning to me that we are not pursuing Rivera. His resume is outstanding, he knows our personnel and the AFC West, has shown the flexibility to successfully run both the 3-4 and the 4-3. Oh never mind, we have Rick - the King of Suck - Dennison and the Kotex guy from Jax...

Rivera has been reported as being on their target list. Wouldn't mind Fox either. Would like to see Fassel as QB coach or on the offensive staff as well.

bowtown
01-08-2011, 09:01 AM
General manager Brian Xanders said on Sirius/XM Radio on Friday that San Diego Chargers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sd/san-diego-chargers) defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New Orleans Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-saints) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams are also among those the Broncos are targeting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6001934&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

:)

Dedhed
01-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm so worried we might hire Dennison.

I would much rather keep Studesville or hire just about anyone else. Dennison is by far my least favorite option.

Dennison will come in and implement the Shanahan/Kubiak system which hasn't been successful in 13 years in this league, and probably do a worse job of coaching it than either of those guys.

Under Dennison we would be destined for one 7-9 or 8-8 season after another as a best case sceario, imo.

tsiguy96
01-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I would much rather keep Studesville or hire just about anyone else. Dennison is by far my least favorite option.

Dennison will come in and implement the Shanahan/Kubiak system which hasn't been successful in 13 years in this league, and probably do a worse job of coaching it than either of those guys.

Under Dennison we would be destined for on 7-9 or 8-8 season after another as a best case sceario, imo.

exactly what im scared about. thank the denver fans for calling for mcds head, they want to relive the glory days. well, current history says if we go back to "bronco roots" we are going back to a destiny of 8-8 and awful defenses.

cutthemdown
01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Nothing but 'B' candidates for Denver huh? Doesn't look like any of the big 'A' list coaches want anything to do with Elway and Xanders. I don't blame them.

Popps
01-08-2011, 09:16 AM

I'd argue that even Harbaugh isn't an "A" candidate at this point. His pro pedigree is about on par with Josh McDaniels when he took over a head coaching job. This love affair with the guy is a bit over the top.

I'm actually growing more intrigued with Fox as an option, provided we bring in some great offensive coaches to work on that side of the ball with Tebow.

Popps
01-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Same here.

Dennison seems like a discount version of Kubiak, which we all know is a pretty crappy option.

Hamrob
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Exactly who is an "A" candidate in this coaching caravan? Gruden, Cowher? I'm not sold.

I'm hoping for a solid Coordinator...that is young enough to be here a while. Frazier would have been perfect. My want list at this juncture:

Fewell
Rivera
Dennison
Christenson

bombay
01-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Yes, please.

OrangeSe7en
01-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Under Dennison we would be destined for one 7-9 or 8-8 season after another as a best case sceario, imo.

Thats simply not true. It has been successful.

Dedhed
01-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Thats simply not true. It has been successful.

When?

Hogan11
01-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Same here.

Dennison seems like a discount version of Kubiak, which we all know is a pretty crappy option.

but....but....but....we need someone with Broncos roots!!! ::)

Gort
01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I'd rather have Billick.

i'd just like to go on record with my thoughts about hiring Billick. i believe Tracy Morgan said it best...

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/193502/tracy-morgan-hell-no-o.gif

Hogan11
01-08-2011, 09:43 AM
General manager Brian Xanders said on Sirius/XM Radio on Friday that San Diego Chargers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sd/san-diego-chargers) defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New Orleans Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-saints) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams are also among those the Broncos are targeting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6001934&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

:)

I love that they're actually going to interview Rivera. Williams OTOH, I'm definitely not sold on...I remember that Buffalo team he had and they actually had some talent on there at the time. Let him try to redeem his HC resume somewhere else.

If Rivera becomes unavailable, then I'm on the Fewell train and Fox would be my third option

Gutless Drunk
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM
"Elway takes the big office

In the past, the oversized office overlooking the Broncos’ practice field was occupied by head coaches, men like Dan Reeves, Mike Shanahan, and Josh McDaniels.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, even though the Broncos don’t have a head coach, the office has a new inhabitant.

Executive V.P. of football operations John Elway has decided to claim it.

It’s further evidence of the fact that, despite never working in an NFL front office, Elway will be completely running the show in Denver. And it also sends a clear message to the next head coach that he’ll be standing forever in Elway’s shadow.

Which is why the Broncos are relegated to sifting through D-list coaching candidates. Anyone with options, quite possibly will opt to go elsewhere."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/elway-takes-the-big-office/

Hogan11
01-08-2011, 09:46 AM

In the past, the oversized office overlooking the Broncos’ practice field was occupied by head coaches, men like Dan Reeves, Mike Shanahan, and Josh McDaniels.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, even though the Broncos don’t have a head coach, the office has a new inhabitant.

It’s further evidence of the fact that, despite never working in an NFL front office, Elway will be completely running the show in Denver. And it also sends a clear message to the next head coach that he’ll be standing forever in Elway’s shadow.

Which is why the Broncos are relegated to sifting through D-list coaching candidates. Anyone with options, quite possibly will opt to go elsewhere."

Maybe Big John should just grab the Crown and place it upon his own head Napoleon style.........few would object.

Gort
01-08-2011, 09:48 AM

http://arthropoda.southernfriedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/facepalm.jpg

these sportswriters just want to stir up sh*t so they have something to write about and so they can get their ugly faces on ESPN to debate this BS. i'm fed up with sportswriters. the whole lot of them are a bunch of has-beens or never-weres.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 09:51 AM
...these sportswriters just want to stir up sh*t so they have something to write about and so they can get their ugly faces on ESPN to debate this BS.

Agree, but at the same time you have to consider the point. Elway does cast a huge shadow and a lot of people won't want to be in it.

Gort
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Agree, but at the same time you have to consider the point. Elway does cast a huge shadow and a lot of people won't want to be in it.

b****ing and moaning about who gets what office at Dove Valley is the ultimate example of stirring up sh*t. there isn't even a HC yet. and Elway is higher on the totem pole with his new position. the whole thing would be silly if it weren't for the fact that so many people get sucked into this thinking it's a legit issue. if i'm a HC getting paid millions of dollars to coach a team and i already know that i report to Elway and/or the GM in the hierarchy, what makes anyone think i'm so insecure that by not having the "best" office in the complex is going to affect either 1) my willingness to come to Denver, or 2) my ability to perform in Denver?

the whole thing is stupid.

these sportswriters are like monkeys flinging sh*t against the wall to see what will stick. i'm sick of them all.

bowtown
01-08-2011, 09:57 AM

The main problem with this little storyline though is that Elway casts a huge shadow in Denver no matter what. As a coach, I'd rather have Elway's shadow working with me and deflecting some of the pressure. I think the bigger issue is the uncertainty of whether that shadow and his GM have any idea what the hell they are doing...

And as for this office bs non story, doesn't Florio have any acual football news to comment on? There are two playoff games today.

Gort
01-08-2011, 09:57 AM

ok. well George Washington and Abraham Lincoln cast huge shadows as former presidents, so if i'm offered the presidency, i think i'll just turn it down.

see how stupid that argument is?

the NFL is almost a pure meritocracy. for the most part, it doesn't matter who preceded you or who follows you... you'll be judged on how you do when you have the job. whether as a player or coach, it's the same.

cutthemdown
01-08-2011, 10:02 AM
ok. well George Washington and Abraham Lincoln cast huge shadows as former presidents, so if i'm offered the presidency, i think i'll just turn it down.

the NFL is almost a pure meritocracy. for the most part, it doesn't matter who preceded you or who follows you... you'll be judged on how you do when you have the job. whether as a player or coach, it's the same.

Well what if Abraham took the big office and you knew he would be making all the decisions but you could look bad for it? Still want the job? Maybe but only if it's your only good offer.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 10:02 AM

No, I don't think your analogy works at all. Washington and Lincoln were great men and were highly competent and effective at their job so people wanted to affiliate themselves with them. John Elway was a great QB but we have no idea whether or not he's going to be a successful NFL front office exec? People seeking high level NFL jobs most likely have egos that will make them less interested in working for someone who may get all the headlines and limit some of their power and control. I think you're really underestimating the politics here.

cutthemdown
01-08-2011, 10:03 AM
LOL Elway moved into the big office that used to be reserved for the Broncos head coach.

yerner
01-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I love this story. If nothing else it shows these front office structure is different. Maybe they won't lure a big name coach this way but whoever they hire is going to be more focused on just coaching.

schaaf
01-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I hope we take a good look at
1. Rivera
2. Fox
3. Fewell

Those are my top three, but I could get on board with either Fox or Fewell very easily

meangene
01-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I love that they're actually going to interview Rivera. Williams OTOH, I'm definitely not sold on...I remember that Buffalo team he had and they actually had some talent on there at the time. Let him try to redeem his HC resume somewhere else.

If Rivera becomes unavailable, then I'm on the Fewell train and Fox would be my third option

That's pretty much where I'm at as well, though the drop from Rivera and Fewell to Fox is a pretty big one.

Gort
01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
No, I don't think your analogy works at all. Washington and Lincoln were great men and were highly competent and effective at their job so people wanted to affiliate themselves with them. John Elway was a great QB but we have no idea whether or not he's going to be a successful NFL front office exec? People seeking high level NFL jobs most likely have egos that will make them less interested in working for someone who may get all the headlines and limit some of their power and control. I think you're really underestimating the politics here.

you're right. nobody wants to work for Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder, or Al Davis.

wait. what?

there are 32 HC jobs in the NFL. just 32. there are thousands of coaches at the HS and College level who aspire to those jobs one day.

i'm not trying to belittle your argument or you. i'm just pointing out that people will always want those jobs no matter who the owner is, or the GM is, or whether some former QB has a nicer office, or whatever.

the whole thing is stupid to even spend time on. i'm just calling out that stupid sportswriter for being stupid and writing a stupid article with a stupid premise.

Elway is not exactly disliked around the NFL. the guy is in the HOF. he's an icon in Denver. he's run a football franchise of his own (on a smaller scale). why the hell would anybody get their panties in a bunch about who gets the best office in Dove Valley? seriously. how insecure would you have to be to be chosen to one hold one of those 32 elusive jobs, to be paid millions of dollars a year, and yet still have an issue because you didn't get the corner office that Elway has. and who cares if Elway is around Dove Valley casting a shadow? he's the point man for the media, so if i'm a coach, that's a welcome thing... let Elway deal with the idiot sportswriters and leave me to do what i want to do... which is coach.

TheProfessor
01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

If a HC is that insecure, then he is the wrong guy for the job anyways. As others have said, just another shameless attempt to stir the pot.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
you're right. nobody wants to work for Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder, or Al Davis.

wait. what?

there are 32 HC jobs in the NFL. just 32. there are thousands of coaches at the HS and College level who aspire to those jobs one day.

To be fair, the three owners you mentioned above have had their candidate pools limited. But Jones and Snyder have been helped by two factors: first, money and second, the fact that they are two of the marquee organization in the league.

The point isn't that nobody will want to work under Elway. Of course somebody will. The point is that you might lose some of your better candidates. You limit your talent pool. And I'm certainly not suggesting that people don't like and/or respect John Elway. It's one thing to like or respect him and a whole other thing to want to work for him if you don't think he's a competent NFL front office exec.

cabronco
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
According to the sports writers on NBC, one of them mentioned talking to Elway last night saying the coach decision is wide open. John to interview Fewell and Studesville Sunday, and Fox was the analyst's pick as the new coach. I forget his name it wasnt Florio though.

OrangeSe7en
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
According to the sports writers on NBC, one of them mentioned talking to Elway last night saying the coach decision is wide open. John to interview Fewell and Studesville Sunday, and Fox was the analyst's pick as the new coach. I forget his name it wasnt Florio though.

Of course Elway's going to say its wide open. How stupid would it be to say they're leaning toward one guy when they want to interview as many quality candidates as possible and the interviews haven't even started yet?

Chris
01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Nothing but 'B' candidates for Denver huh? Doesn't look like any of the big 'A' list coaches want anything to do with Elway and Xanders. I don't blame them.

Which teams have any of the "A" candidates (other than Harbaugh) shown an interest in?

snowspot66
01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Which teams have any of the "A" candidates (other than Harbaugh) shown an interest in?

A better question. Who are the "A" candidates?

cabronco
01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Of course Elway's going to say its wide open. How stupid would it be to say they're leaning toward one guy when they want to interview as many quality candidates as possible and the interviews haven't even started yet?

That was the sports writers words used. Just relaying some latest info.. I'm not to sure I would use your words as " quality candidates" as I havent seen or heard any big splash/quality names mentioned.

mikey555
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow!!! before Elway was hired everyone was all...We need Elway!!!! Now that he has the job all you guys can do is B!&@H, moan and complain about the decisions being made after TWO DAYS!!!! ALL I can say is WOW what abunch of hypocritical fair weather fans... And That about sums it up!!

Homer Simpson
01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow!!! before Elway was hired everyone was all...We need Elway!!!! Now that he has the job all you guys can do is B!&@H, moan and complain about the decisions being made after TWO DAYS!!!! ALL I can say is WOW what abunch of hypocritical fair weather fans... And That about sums it up!!

Can you use more symbols and caps? Your point isn't clear enough.

bpc
01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Irrelevant point made by a Blogger in hisvoff time. Pay no mind that this setup is probably the same in 29 other NFL cities.*we just want an NFL story to ridicule.*

HEAV
01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
And losing him in FA hurt.

So you made my point.

mikey555
01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Can you use more symbols and caps? Your point isn't clear enough.

I will try to do better next time.. BTW I have the same beer glass as yo avatar thats cool!

HEAV
01-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm not against Fox. I'm just not a fan of moving back to a 4-3...with the current talent base and the return of Doom it's best to stay 3-4.

mikey555
01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm not against Fox. I'm just not a fan of moving back to a 4-3...with the current talent base and the return of Doom it's best to stay 3-4.

Amen Brother!!:militia::militia::militia::bronxrox:

Man-Goblin
01-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Fox good. Lieutenant Dan bad. And that's all I have to say about that.

cutthemdown
01-08-2011, 03:25 PM

That's up for debate IMO.

DJ Williams = out of position anywhere in a 3-4. Best on the weakside in a 4-3. Why? Because he's not a physical player and doesn't do a good job of shedding blocks. Can't play him outside because he's not a good pass rusher and we have doom. So Dj IMO better in a 4-3. Pretty much goes for all the other inside linebackers on Denver as well.

Ayers would be better at Dend where he played in college. He doesn't seem natural in coverage and is decent against the run.

Doom- is always rushing the passer anyways so it doesn't matter if he is at dend or OLB. Teams will want to run that direction regardless. The cure is more size on that side with doom regardless of what front we run. If 3-4 we need a bigger more stout dend to play in front/next to him. If we go 4-3 we should get a bigger more physical outside backer to clean up the run on that side.

I don't think our personnel really leans super heavy one way or the other. The new journeyman like Williams and Bannan probably a better fit for a 3-4 but they aren't super important to any new coach.

oubronco
01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Well he did just get the Panthers the #1 pick i'm sure he could do the same for Denver

Dukes
01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Well he did just get the Panthers the #1 pick i'm sure he could do the same for Denver

Which could come in very handy if Tebow stinks it up next year

cabronco
01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Ya if Tebow has a tough year w/ no sign of improvement & the defense is as bad as last year, hello #1 and Andrew Luck.

But that isn't going to happen. Tebow will grow in the QB role, and our defense has to improve, cant get much worse. :)