01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Previous Coach Chronicles:
Mike (Mark) Mularkey:
http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95966
Jim Fassel:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96071
Perry Fewell:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96267

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R0VvceupTJA/TH0JfjQqxuI/AAAAAAAAABM/zMMkD-GJRZU/s1600/ron+rivera.jpg

Ron Rivera took over as the Chargers’ defensive coordinator at the midpoint of the 2008 season. In his first full season in ’09, the Chargers ranked 16th in total defense and 11th against the pass. One of the unit’s strengths was buckling down after turnovers, yielding only 44 points, a figured that tied New England for the second-lowest in the NFL.

A former Super Bowl Champion linebacker with the Chicago Bears in 1985, this is Rivera’s second stint as a defensive coordinator. From 2004-06, he held the same position with the Bears, and in his last season Chicago led the NFL in takeaways and won the NFC title en route to Super Bowl XLI in Miami. In 2005 and ’06, Rivera’s units ranked second and fifth in the NFL in total defense, respectively. Several Bears, including Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Mike Brown, Nathan Vasher and Tommie Harris all went to Pro Bowls while playing in Rivera’s defense.

In 1999, Rivera was named linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. During his tenure the Eagles advanced to the NFC Championship for three consecutive seasons. He is credited with developing linebacker Jeremiah Trotter into a two-time Pro Bowl performer.
[edit]Back in Chicago
On January 23, 2004, Rivera was named the Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator. In 2005, the Chicago Bears defense was rated second-best in the NFL.[3] The Bears qualified for the NFC playoffs losing in the 2nd Round to the Carolina Panthers 29-21. The 2005 performance of the Chicago Bears earned him consideration for Head Coach assignments from several NFL teams.
In 2006, the Bears’ defensive efforts failed to match the success of their 2005 season. Nevertheless, the team was still a notable presence in league, finishing with the league’s third ranked and conference’s top-ranked points allowed category.[3] The defense’s success earned Rivera recognition among franchises looking for new head coaches. The Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers interviewed him in January 2007. He was a candidate for the vacant Dallas Cowboys head coaching position, a job that ultimately went to San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Rivera was named as a potential candidate to replace the fired Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego, but the job was filled by Norv Turner, the brother of fellow offensive coordinator, Ron Turner, Rivera's offensive counterpart in Chicago.[4][5][6] After the announcement, ESPN reported that the Bears were considering letting Rivera go. This came after several other teams interviewed him, and the negotiations between his representatives and the Bears were making little progress.[7] On February 19, 2007, it was announced that Ron Rivera's contract with the Bears would not be renewed.[8]
[edit]San Diego Chargers
The San Diego Chargers hired Rivera as team's inside linebackers coach after he left the Bears.[9] On October 28, 2008, Rivera was promoted to defensive coordinator with the Chargers after the team released former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell.[10]

Chargers had the top ranked defensive unit this year in yards, allowing 271.6 ypg, (broncos allowed over 390)
Allowed 20.1 ppg, good for 10th in the NFL.

3-4 Defense, usually aggressive, would be great for the guys we currently have on the team. Guys like jamal williams could really use him back, and we have his old d-line coach (Nunnelly) on staff already.

Rivera's believes his experience with the Chargers has made him a better head coaching candidate. He was red hot following a 2006 season in which he helped Chicago reach the Super Bowl, only to be left without a coaching position at all.
He interviewed for several jobs that offseason, including the vacancy eventually filled by Norv Turner. He couldn't return to Chicago following a long, yet ultimately heartbreaking, offseason. He was stereotyped as a 4-3 coordinator, so he took a job as the Chargers' inside linebackers coach to expand his horizons in a 3-4 scheme.
He also worked on leadership skills, which came in handy when he was promoted to coordinator in 2008.
"I think the experience helped me, and not just in terms of refining a scheme," Rivera said. "I believe I'm a better coach in general after as much adversity as this team has been through. It's exciting when you see a unit put it all together, especially when they use your teachings without prompting. That doesn't include the coaches I've had to work with, especially Norv. I've learned something from all of them."
Rivera heads into yet another offseason ready for the inevitable interview requests. He had two of them last season, and will likely have more if Carolina goes in another direction.
"If somebody calls, only then will I start working on the process," Rivera said. "Other than that, my focus remains on this defense and how to make it better. I'd like to be a head coach, but I like working here and with this group of guys. I'll be happy no matter what happens."

TheReverend
01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Is this the 9th head coach candidate that's the "one" you want?

tsiguy96
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Is this the 9th head coach candidate that's the "one" you want?

nice contribution to the thread

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the thread (ignore my friend Rev ;)).

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Ron Rivera certainly seems to be the best candidate that I can think of. He's had elite 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, and was seen as a HC candidate back before he became the Chargers DC. Plus landing him hurts a divisional opponent. That's always a nice bonus.

TheReverend
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Ron Rivera certainly seems to be the best candidate that I can think of. He's had elite 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, and was seen as a HC candidate back before he became the Chargers DC. Plus landing him hurts a divisional opponent. That's always a nice bonus.

Agree. I still don't understand why he was so randomly fired from the Bears...

gtown
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM

All good points. Would love to kick the tires on Rivera. However, why he was never a real HC candidate a few years back is a question that I have never seen answered. Wonder how much O he really understands.

Hogan11
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
What's not to like on that resume? Bring the Man in NOW!

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Agree. I still don't understand why he was so randomly fired from the Bears...

Because he told Lovie Smith the truth: he's an idiot. :~ohyah!:

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
He's been a top candidate so many times, he must be a bad interview. Or maybe he smells.

Hogan11
01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
He's been a top candidate so many times, he must be a bad interview. Or maybe he smells.

He can't stink any worse than our defense has the last few years

strafen
01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Rivera?
I pass...

Hogan11
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Rivera?
I pass...

Why? because he has no Broncos roots?

That's the only reason I can see and it's not even remotely a good one

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
All good points. Would love to kick the tires on Rivera. However, why he was never a real HC candidate a few years back is a question that I have never seen answered. Wonder how much O he really understands.

If he has a great OC, that really shouldn't be an issue.

peacepipe
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
If I remember correctly he had only been a DC 2 yrs at that point.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM

I can't think of any candidates that have roots with the Broncos that I actually like to be honest.

Hogan11
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I can't think of any candidates that have roots with the Broncos that I actually like to be honest.

I'm with you on that because neither can I

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Well we've all seen what happens when you hire a guy off good interview skills. ::)

Dedhed
01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
What's not to like on that resume? Bring the Man in NOW!

Other than it looks exactly like Mike Singletary's?

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Rivera has a much more stable personality than Singletary. Much, much more...

strafen
01-07-2011, 06:38 PM

That's the only reason I can see and it's not even remotely a good oneThere may be a reason why he's taken him so long to get a shot at HC, perhaps?

Hogan11
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
There may be a reason why he's taken him so long to get a shot at HC, perhaps?

It was noted above that at the time of his other interviews, he only had 2 years experience....I suspect that was it but that's no longer an issue now

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:41 PM

That to me is a plus. I tend to think these guys that are only coordinators for a couple years are poison as HCs. Maybe I'm biased due to recent events, but it's just a feeling I have.

Hogan11
01-07-2011, 06:41 PM

not to mention he's been a much more successful DC as well.

Dedhed
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Since when does a "Stable personality" have anything to do with success in the NFL?

John Madden is one of the greatest coaches ever.

Belichek is certifiable in a Unabomber sort of way.

Shanahan would probably eat his son for another ring.

If anything, a stable personality works against you in the NFL.

TheReverend
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM

I used to follow this line of thinking, then rex ryan smashed it. Let's hope he's more rex and less wade

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Since when does a "Stable personality" have anything to do with success in the NFL?

John Madden is one of the greatest coaches ever.

Belichek is certifiable in a Unabomber sort of way.

Shanahan would probably eat his son for another ring.

If anything, a stable personality works against you in the NFL.

All those guys are intense in their own way, but they're also quite stable day to day.

Singletary is an erratic nutjob in case no one told you.

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 07:09 PM

If dragster passes, he's gold! Oh, he's not white. I get it drag.

Sign me up for Rivera.

Any thoughts on OC candidates?

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Well we've all seen what happens when you hire a guy off good interview skills. ::)

Yep.

I like how Elway talked about doing the proper research and basically not being conned this time around.

The interview should only be a small part of the choice.

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Yep.

I like how Elway talked about doing the proper research and basically not being conned this time around.

The interview should only be a small part of the choice.

This is why I don't get the meltdowns all over this place after Elway started this process on Wednesday!

broncocalijohn
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
He can't stink any worse than our defense has the last few years

Someone beat me to it! Ive been on this guy's bandwagon and always am reminded of how great of a coach he is everytime we play the Chargers. He is exactly what kind of coach we want and that is defense minded. Maybe he isnt an offensive guru but he sure knows how to stop them. He just needs a strong OC to work with. I am sure he knows his limits and focus on his strengths.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Sign me up for Rivera.

Most will probably disagree, but I'd like Studs. There's just something I like about the guy, and he seems to have a great relationship with Tebow. I think he's a great candidate to transition this pass-first offense to a more balanced attack while maintaining continuity for Tebow and Co.

I also suspect he got more involved with the offense in the last two games where it actually started looking dynamic.

El Minion
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Well no, Singletary was never a coordinator he went from LB coach at BAL to LB coach/Asst. HC in SF, whatever that meant with Nolan as HC and most likely the DC. Rivera has already had 6 years as DC in two different styles and has been successful in both. I think a Rick Dennison/Ron Rivera combo platter would be fantastic, regardless of who of them is named HC.

broncocalijohn
01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Most will probably disagree, but I'd like Studs. There's just something I like about the guy, and he seems to have a great relationship with Tebow. I think he's a great candidate to transition this pass-first offense to a more balanced attack while maintaining continuity for Tebow and Co.

I also suspect he got more involved with the offense in the last two games where it actually started looking dynamic.

Nothing about this post but day 7 of January and you are averaging 50 posts per day. Is this a new thing to you, Forums? Perhaps you post so much, one of them got you in trouble either here or somewhere else. Begs the question, who are you?

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Well, he's a RB coach, not exactly ideal for development of Tebow. ben McDaniels kept on as QB coach??

broncofan2438
01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Chargers would be complete idiots not to keep this guy.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
This is why I don't get the meltdowns all over this place after Elway started this process on Wednesday!

Elway has had 48 hours so far, and people are calling for his head. It's crazy, even for OM standards.

With Harbaugh out, we just need to take our time and make sure we get a solid coach. Do interviews, talk to their staff, players and ex-players. See how they coach, see how they lead, and see if they will be loyal to this franchise.

Make sure you get this one right because hopefully this guy will be here for the next 10+ years.

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Chargers would be complete idiots not to keep this guy.

They can't deny him an interview that promotes him though.

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Elway has had 48 hours so far, and people are calling for his head. It's crazy, even for OM standards.

With Harbaugh out, we just need to take our time and make sure we get a solid coach. Do interviews, talk to their staff, players and ex-players. See how they coach, see how they lead, and see if they will be loyal to this franchise.

Make sure you get this one right because hopefully this guy will be here for the next 10+ years.

Exactly. From montrose, who I trust as a source, McDaniels hated the step up to head coach, all of the stuff that came with it. We need someone who is happy, enthused about all of the process.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Sign me up for Rivera.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but is that any worse than liking him because he is hispanic, which some likely do?

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but is that any worse than liking him because he is hispanic, which some likely do?

Don't worry about it bro. ;)

I want him because his D's have been stellar, where as if you look at Koetter's O's Jacksonville has ranked better than 15th in the league in total yards once during Koetter’s tenure — his first season on the job. Koetter’s offenses in the last three years have finished 24th, 24th, and 18th in points scored.

Who can get excited about that??

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Well, he's a RB coach, not exactly ideal for development of Tebow. ben McDaniels kept on as QB coach??

I don't see why not. He seems to have done a decent job from what I've seen.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM

I want him because his D's have been stellar, where as if you look at Koetter's O's Jacksonville has ranked better than 15th in the league in total yards once during Koetter’s tenure — his first season on the job. Koetter’s offenses in the last three years have finished 24th, 24th, and 18th in points scored.

What would make Rivera a good head coach and not just a good coordinator?

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't see why not. He seems to have done a decent job from what I've seen.

I don't think we had a single designed rollout in any of the 3 Tebow games.

tsiguy96
01-07-2011, 07:37 PM

to be fair, as raheem morris has shown, being a head coach is more about being an effective leader and able to surround yourself with effective coaches, and to get your guys to play. even if a guy isnt the best playcaller ever, doesnt mean hes not capable of doing a great job as HC. just a side thought :~ohyah!:

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't think we had a single designed rollout in any of the 3 Tebow games.

Two things:

1) How does that reflect on Ben McDaniels as a QB coach?

2) There were some. Just not as many as one might like.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Isn't that the question with every coordinator? The difference between being a head coach and a coordinator is pretty big, and it's always hard to know who will excel when moving form one to the other.

tsiguy96
01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Two things:

it doesnt, because he wasnt calling plays.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Two things:

I was talking about Coach Studs.

Ben McD is obviously gone from our team next year.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Isn't that the question with every coordinator? The difference between being a head coach and a coordinator is pretty big, and it's always hard to know who will excel when moving form one to the other.

Yes it is. That's why focusing on his defenses as a coordinator don't necessarily jive with the bigger part of the job, which is leading and delegating.

Dagmar
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Well after McDaniels seemingly enjoyed and excelled at being an OC but didn't have "it" to be a leader, I would hope the current regime would do there due diligence to find out.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/89770444.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D05A41AFFAC451C3BE 592C7BD50DB72299C2A6F08B3F6A5FA6E30A760B0D811297

montrose
01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Exactly. From montrose, who I trust as a source, McDaniels hated the step up to head coach, all of the stuff that came with it. We need someone who is happy, enthused about all of the process.

Well, I'm not so sure it was that he hated the step up - I think the stress of his failures compunded with the new responsiblities were what he disliked. But again, I just heard that through someone else.

Sassy
01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Rivera?
I pass...

Which two AFC teams have kicked our ass the last FEW years...
Hmmm the Chargers and the Colts...worth a shot!

boltaneer
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Rivera always comes off as very focused, very smart and the players are always saying how much they like and respect him but he still knows when to get in a player's face when it's needed (but not in a Singletary type of way).

I don't know if that would make him a good head coach but with his track record, he seems to deserve a shot. I've been wondering all these years why he keeps getting turned down year after year.

I'd hate to see him go to the Broncos though so I hope he either stays on board here or Carolina snags him up quickly.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Rivera always comes off as very focused, very smart and the players are always saying how much they like and respect him but he still knows when to get in a player's face when it's needed (but not in a Singletary type of way).

I don't know if that would make him a good head coach but with his track record, he seems to deserve a shot. I've been wondering all these years why he keeps getting turned down year after year.

I'd hate to see him go to the Broncos though so I hope he either stays on board here or Carolina snags him up quickly.

The fact that Chargers fans don't want him coaching the Broncos is a big mark in his favor. :~ohyah!:

Sassy
01-07-2011, 09:47 PM

;):~ohyah!:

gunns
01-07-2011, 10:12 PM

What would make Fewell a good head coach and not just a good coordinator?

What would make Harbaugh a good head coach and not just a good college coach?

What would make Dennison a good head coach and not just an average offensive coordinator?

You could go on and on about any candidate. Unfortunately you are not going to know until hired and tried. It's the scary thing. I just have always liked what Rivera has done with the Bears and the Chargers. He's just the one I have a feeling about. Everyone has their own opinion.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 10:17 PM

What would make Dennison a good head coach and not just an average offensive coordinator?

You could go on and on about any candidate. Unfortunately you are not going to know until hired and tried. It's the scary thing. I just have always liked what Rivera has done with the Bears and the Chargers. He's just the one I have a feeling about. Everyone has their own opinion.

What impresses me is that he's had great success with two very different systems. That tells me he's got a flexible football mind which is something we've lacked in our last two coaches.

listopencil
01-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Honestly- somebody like Rivera or Nolan would be good for the team. The Defense is in shambles, and we need to hit some home runs in this next draft. I would be happy with a "defensive minded" HC. For a strong voice in the drafting process, to help rebuild our D scheme, and coach up the players.

boltaneer
01-08-2011, 03:58 AM
The fact that Chargers fans don't want him coaching the Broncos is a big mark in his favor. :~ohyah!:

Yeah.

He's such a very charismatic guy (the anti-Norv!) and he's a friend of a friend of the family so I kind of have another connection with him in a way.

He really deserves a chance to be a head coach, even if it hurts the Bolts, I'd love to see it happen for him.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-08-2011, 07:57 AM

This this this this this.

400HZ
01-08-2011, 09:06 AM
The talent level on San Diego's defense was probably bottom third last year. Rivera did an amazing job, given 2009 to wash the Ted Cottrell stench off. And even in 2009, our defense had a ton of injuries and wasn't that bad. Good enough for 13-3 anyways. He definitely has a great football mind, and I love former players as coaches. San Diego is going to be much worse off without him.

OrangeSe7en
01-08-2011, 10:45 AM

I'll let you wrestle with your own questions.

bpc
01-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Ron Rivera would be my #1 candidate right now. Great track record of leading defenses, something we need a lot of help with on this rag-tag bunch we got, plus, it weakens a stronger divisional adversary and gives us behind the scenes input on how to defense guys like Rivers.

Rivera #1

Fox #2

Morningweg #3

**** this is anticipating a guy like Cowher doesn't want to coach here, not that we have the money to pay for him.

Homer Simpson
01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I doubt Cowher would go head to head with Elway even if we could afford him!

I agree with you, would love Rivera as HC, not sure who we would get as OC

bpc
01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't really care about Fassel either way but he could be of use Ron River's staff. If we go the Fox route, he was Fassel's dc with the Giants. The relationship has been angled a few times so I think Jim will be with Denver in some capacity.

Chris
01-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Fassell has a good chance of being brought on as QB coach / OC.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 01:52 PM
...this is anticipating a guy like Cowher doesn't want to coach here...

Interesting that Cowher and Gruden haven't been so much as mentioned for any of the open positions to my knowledge. Cowher was said to only be interested in NY Giants, Miami and Houston and now none of those jobs are available, although Miami chased Harbaugh but not Cowher.

bowtown
01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Interesting that Cowher and Gruden haven't been so much as mentioned for any of the open positions to my knowledge. Cowher was said to only be interested in NY Giants, Miami and Houston and now none of those jobs are available, although Miami chased Harbaugh but not Cowher.

And yet we are the only team Florio feels the need to write article after article about sifting through the--I think it's now "D level"-- candidates.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
And yet we are the only team Florio feels the need to write article after article about sifting through the--I think it's now "D level"-- candidates.

And I think the main reason for this is that the Elway involvement has made the Broncos the big story. The media is more interested in what Elway is doing and saying than anyone in Cleveland or Carolina, and he's going to be more of a target.

paulnguyen13127
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM

After taking the Bears to the Superbowl in the 06 season management had problems with a contract dispute. He took the linebacker coaching job in San Diego because DC was already taken and his daughter goes to school in San Diego.

BroncosMT
01-10-2011, 07:49 AM
This is THE guy......he deserves a shot....he is hard nosed, runs a great defense and would make us a lot tougher which we need! I think he would command respect in the locker room and his resume is impressive. By far the best candidate on the list IMO

bowtown
01-10-2011, 07:54 AM
After taking the Bears to the Superbowl in the 06 season management had problems with a contract dispute. He took the linebacker coaching job in San Diego because DC was already taken and his daughter goes to school in San Diego.

IIRC he took the LB job after not getting several HC jobs he was interviewed for.

Southern Discomfort
01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
He is very likely to go to Carolina.

BroncosMT
01-10-2011, 08:39 AM
He is very likely to go to Carolina.

NOOOOO what makes you say that? just curious

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 08:53 AM

He's already doing a second interview.

BroncosMT
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
He's already doing a second interview.

Dang....i am already out of the loop....that is too bad...I was really hoping he was coming here.....

DarkHorse30
01-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Because he told Lovie Smith the truth: he's an idiot. :~ohyah!:

bwa ha ha. I like taking Rivera from SD, and also trying out a defensive minded HC for a change.

paulnguyen13127
01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Dang....i am already out of the loop....that is too bad...I was really hoping he was coming here.....

If we don't even get an interview with Ron.....I'm gonna have serious doubts about the front office ability including Elway.

He is a good DC.
He likes Tebow and wants to give him a chance.
Players respect him and want to play for him.

COME ON DENVER.....GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BEHIND AND MAKE HIM AN OFFER!!!

BroncoInferno
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
For those (like me) who are miffed as to why Rivera has not been scheduled for an interview, we now have our answer:

• In Denver, they're starting at Ground Zero, with Pat Bowlen handing John Elway football authority. "I definitely want someone with head-coaching experience,'' Denver vice president of football operations Elway told me Friday night. "Either in college or pro football. I want a great competitor. I want someone who is smart, very smart. And I want someone who can work well within a good football system. With Josh [McDaniels], we went out on a limb [in terms of giving the coach lots of powers] and not only did it not work, it turned out to be sort of a disaster.''

No Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden czar type as coach, then.

"No,'' Elway said. "Mr. Bowlen's been down that road already.''

Brian Xanders remains the GM, and Elway will have the final say on football matters.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/09/wild-card/2.html

tsiguy96
01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
ron rivera, according to jay glazer, will be the panthers head coach as long as no surprises happen.

bowtown
01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Glad he won't be coming here. He has bad skin.

meangene
01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
For those (like me) who are miffed as to why Rivera has not been scheduled for an interview, we now have our answer:

Then that should take Dennison out of consideration as well. :approve:

BroncoInferno
01-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Then that should take Dennison out of consideration as well. :approve:

You'd think. Elway used pretty strong language there, saying he "definitely" wanted someone with prior HC experience. So, why even bring in Dennison? Or is this something he just settled on in the last couple of days since requesting to speak with Dennison? Who knows.

Southern Discomfort
01-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Others have answered, but he has a second interview today and sources are saying he will be hired.

srphoenix
01-10-2011, 01:42 PM
more proof that Rivera is the next head coach of the Panthers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/10/ron-rivera-may-be-announced-as-panthers-coach-tuesday/

HooptyHoops
01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I wonder who Rivera is going to bring in for his staff? I'm hoping the former Panther DC comes to Denver for the DC position! The Panthers were pathetic, but their D was really good, even without Peppers....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
ESPN reporting that the SD Union-Tribune is reporting that Rivera has been offered the Panthers' HC job.

Gcver2ver3
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
another one bites the dust...

BroncosMT
01-10-2011, 02:05 PM
That just sucks.....

TonyR
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
So do we think Elway wasn't interested? Is that why we didn't even interview him?

meangene
01-10-2011, 02:33 PM
You'd think. Elway used pretty strong language there, saying he "definitely" wanted someone with prior HC experience. So, why even bring in Dennison? Or is this something he just settled on in the last couple of days since requesting to speak with Dennison? Who knows.

Wouldn't that take Koetter out also? Maybe Dennison is just a courtesy to help him get looked at as a potential HC down the road. One can only hope. I've never seen him mentioned as a possibility anywhere else.

strafen
01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm glad Rivera is removed from the coaching pool.
I just had bad vibes about him...

meangene
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
So do we think Elway wasn't interested? Is that why we didn't even interview him?

Yep, it seems that way. Really made no effort. On the other hand, that is one less HC job out there. We may actually be able to wait on Capers / Mularkey before making a decision. I get the feeling it will be the end of the month before we pick a coach.

boltaneer
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, it's good news for you guys. Rivera leaving will really hurt the Chargers' defense.

BroncoInferno
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't that take Koetter out also?

No, Elway's quote was that he definitely wanted a guy who has head coaching experience at either the pro or collegiate level, and Koetter was a college HC.

meangene
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
No, Elway's quote was that he definitely wanted a guy who has head coaching experience at either the pro or collegiate level, and Koetter was a college HC.

Damn. He is another one only we seem interested in as a head coach.

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Well, it's good news for you guys. Rivera leaving will really hurt the Chargers' defense.

I think it's doubly good news; he's leaving SD and not coming to Denver. I think he's a very good DC, but I don't get an HC vibe from him at all.

UberBroncoMan
01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Don't forget that Ron is probably going to steal some defensive coaches from SD as well. Hopefully this really ****s up their defense for next year. They really don't have anywhere to go but down the ranks in terms of yardage allowed.

Tombstone RJ
01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
• In Denver, they're starting at Ground Zero, with Pat Bowlen handing John Elway football authority. "I definitely want someone with head-coaching experience,'' Denver vice president of football operations Elway told me Friday night. "Either in college or pro football. I want a great competitor. I want someone who is smart, very smart. And I want someone who can work well within a good football system. With Josh [McDaniels], we went out on a limb [in terms of giving the coach lots of powers] and not only did it not work, it turned out to be sort of a disaster.''

Brian Xanders remains the GM, and Elway will have the final say on football matters.

Does Perry Fewell have HC experience? I know Studesville technically does but Elway seems to be painting himself into a corner on this quote...

meangene
01-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Does Perry Fewell have HC experience? I know Studesville technically does but Elway seems to be painting himself into a corner on this quote...

Fewell was an interim in Buffalo. Mularkey, Capers, Williams and Koetter would fit but not Dennison.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Fewell was an interim in Buffalo. Mularkey, Capers, Williams and Koetter would fit but not Dennison.

Seriously, all everyone they're bringing in should be a possibility, otherwise, it's a waste of time.

Dedhed
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Seriously, all everyone they're bringing in should be a possibility, otherwise, it's a waste of time.
Is this a semantic riddle?

boltaneer
01-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Don't forget that Ron is probably going to steal some defensive coaches from SD as well. Hopefully this really ****s up their defense for next year. They really don't have anywhere to go but down the ranks in terms of yardage allowed.

Yep, I'm preparing for a crappy defense next year. Outside of a few guys, Rivera did wonders with that group of bums.

I guess the word is that Pagano (LB coach) is the favorite to be promoted to DC here but he's also a favorite for Rivera to take as DC. I'm not sure how all the rules work with things like that but I assume he'd probably stay here if he's offered a DC position at both places.

footstepsfrom#27
01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
This guy...

http://prod.static.chiefs.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/person-cards/staff/joel_collier.jpg