PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Harris - UFA

LittleFloyd
01-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Lost in all the Elway/Head Coach stuff, was a small paragragh in the Denver Post stating the Harris will not be signed and allowed to go the UFA route out of town.

Another rebuild of the o-line with no servicable RT on the roster.

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Lost in all the Elway/Head Coach stuff, was a small paragragh in the Denver Post stating the Harris will not be signed and allowed to go the UFA route out of town.

Another rebuild of the o-line with no servicable RT on the roster.

link?...

Chris
01-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Hmm... how much was Harris being paid previously?

meangene
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
We can't count on him being healthy and he hasn't played well because of injuries for two year now. We need better to protect Tebow's blind side.

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Dan, you are correct in that Mike Shanahan envisioned Harris and Clady being his two tackles for quite some time in the team's zone-run scheme. Then Shanahan was fired and Josh McDaniels came in.

McDaniels preferred more power runs, more 1-on-1, point-of-attack blocking. Because of that, many of the linemen McDaniels inherited were not the kind of blockers he wanted.

Ben Hamilton was sent on his way, as was Casey Wiegmann — where, ironically, McDaniels' old boss, Charlie Weis, used Wiegmann at center for the Chiefs' No. 1 rushing attack this season.

Harris was not really what McDaniels was looking for, and McDaniels was consistently frustrated with his play. Harris then suffered a foot injury in 2009 that caused him to miss time.

Some of his teammates have since said privately that Harris tried to come back too soon. He reinjured the foot and also didn't play as well as he could have when he was in the lineup because of the injury.

It's difficult to play with confidence when there is pain, especially a foot injury.

The combination of those two things seemed to frustrate Harris and the coaches as 2009 drew to a close.

Then Harris injured his ankle in the preseason finale this past September and missed the first three games of the regular season. He returned for two games, and the Broncos, and McDaniels, didn't like what they were seeing, so they essentially benched him — rookie Zane Beadles played at right tackle for three games.

Beadles struggled on the outside, and Harris was put back in the lineup for the last seven weeks of the season. The team ran a little better over that period, but the Broncos believed Harris never returned to his best, and he did struggle at times.

Harris' contract is up, and he appears ready to move on. He is one of a group of players who have had their confidence chipped at over the last two years and seem ready for a new start somewhere else.

Wednesday, the Broncos sounded as though they wanted to move on as well, basically saying that Harris would be the only one of their starters in the offensive line whom they did not expect back for the 2011 season.

John Elway kept referring to Harris' departure as leaving a hole that would have to be addressed.

So, in short, I think both sides in this are looking for a change. Harris would certainly be a popular fit in Washington in Shanahan's offense or in Houston, where his former offensive line coach Rick Dennison is calling plays.

And the Broncos feel like they can get an upgrade as well.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: Q&A: Once a potential "bookend" tackle, Broncos' Harris headed out the door - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17028788#ixzz1AMkqqPwD
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
We can't count on him being healthy and he hasn't played well because of injuries for two year now. We need better to protect Tebow's blind side.

this i agree with...

harris has struggled...

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 09:04 AM
they need to find a better player to protect Tims blind side

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Dan, you are correct in that Mike Shanahan envisioned Harris and Clady being his two tackles for quite some time in the team's zone-run scheme. Then Shanahan was fired and Josh McDaniels came in.

McDaniels preferred more power runs, more 1-on-1, point-of-attack blocking. Because of that, many of the linemen McDaniels inherited were not the kind of blockers he wanted.

Ben Hamilton was sent on his way, as was Casey Wiegmann where, ironically, McDaniels' old boss, Charlie Weis, used Wiegmann at center for the Chiefs' No. 1 rushing attack this season.

Harris was not really what McDaniels was looking for, and McDaniels was consistently frustrated with his play. Harris then suffered a foot injury in 2009 that caused him to miss time.

Some of his teammates have since said privately that Harris tried to come back too soon. He reinjured the foot and also didn't play as well as he could have when he was in the lineup because of the injury.

It's difficult to play with confidence when there is pain, especially a foot injury.

The combination of those two things seemed to frustrate Harris and the coaches as 2009 drew to a close.

Then Harris injured his ankle in the preseason finale this past September and missed the first three games of the regular season. He returned for two games, and the Broncos, and McDaniels, didn't like what they were seeing, so they essentially benched him rookie Zane Beadles played at right tackle for three games.

Beadles struggled on the outside, and Harris was put back in the lineup for the last seven weeks of the season. The team ran a little better over that period, but the Broncos believed Harris never returned to his best, and he did struggle at times.

Harris' contract is up, and he appears ready to move on. He is one of a group of players who have had their confidence chipped at over the last two years and seem ready for a new start somewhere else.

Wednesday, the Broncos sounded as though they wanted to move on as well, basically saying that Harris would be the only one of their starters in the offensive line whom they did not expect back for the 2011 season.

John Elway kept referring to Harris' departure as leaving a hole that would have to be addressed.

So, in short, I think both sides in this are looking for a change. Harris would certainly be a popular fit in Washington in Shanahan's offense or in Houston, where his former offensive line coach Rick Dennison is calling plays.

And the Broncos feel like they can get an upgrade as well.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: Q&A: Once a potential "bookend" tackle, Broncos' Harris headed out the door - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17028788#ixzz1AMkqqPwD
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

so does this mean we're certain we're not going with ZBS?...even before hiring our next coach?....what if we get Dennison?...

i thought harris struggled because of not being a good fit in McD's system...

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 09:08 AM
see previous post

PRBronco
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
so does this mean we're certain we're not going with ZBS?...even before hiring our next coach?....what if we get Dennison?...

i thought harris struggled because of not being a good fit in McD's system...

People need to stop putting such a heavy emphasis on linemen being only good at one scheme or another. Harris struggled because he injured his toe last season, and then his knee (or was it ankle?) this preseason.

Personally I'm a big Harris fan, dont' want to see him go.

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 09:22 AM
People need to stop putting such a heavy emphasis on linemen being only good at one scheme or another. Harris struggled because he injured his toe last season, and then his knee (or was it ankle?) this preseason.

Personally I'm a big Harris fan, dont' want to see him go.

well he definitely struggled this season, but i'm torn on him leaving...

i'm just not crazy about us having to fill another large hole...

we have enough holes to fill, i'd like o-line to be considered ok...i'm not sure what you're implying about people overlooking versatility in linemen, but i'm fairly certain that harris is not that guy...he didn't do great things once we switched away from zbs...

even with that said, i'd still be willing to give him a chance to get healthier and let the oline continue to mesh...esp if we bring back zbs...

TheReverend
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Xanders...

:nono:

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
this thread is full of fail.

PRBronco
01-07-2011, 09:29 AM

we have enough holes to fill, i'd like o-line to be considered ok...i'm not sure what you're implying about people overlooking versatility in linemen, but i'm fairly certain that harris is not that guy...he didn't do great things once we switched away from zbs...

even with that said, i'd still be willing to give him a chance to get healthier and let the oline continue to mesh...esp if we bring back zbs...

Give this a read when you have some time (it's crazy long): http://onemanfootball.com/2010/10/06/getting-deep-about-running-the-ball/

Especially about halfway through when he address a tweet from some "prosb4hoes" guy about "power systems". I learned a lot from it regarding running game schemes.

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 09:29 AM

When healthy, in zone he is our best run blocker.

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Give this a read when you have some time (it's crazy long): http://onemanfootball.com/2010/10/06/getting-deep-about-running-the-ball/

Especially about halfway through when he address a tweet from some "prosb4hoes" guy about "power systems". I learned a lot from it regarding running game schemes.

okay, thanks...

HooptyHoops
01-07-2011, 09:35 AM
This doesn't get me excited...there are holes all over the place and Harris is actually serviceable at the RT position....

cmhargrove
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Sweet, we're going A-11 baby!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VULYlK6jH9I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VULYlK6jH9I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

gyldenlove
01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Woohoo, now we need a blindside tackle on top of a new defense, RB and TE?

TheReverend
01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Woohoo, now we need a blindside tackle on top of a new defense, RB and TE?

And center and full back.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I wish we could keep him for another season to see if he can make it through without having to sign him long-term. I've always liked his upside and when he's healthy, he's very good.

PRBronco
01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I wish we could keep him for another season to see if he can make it through without having to sign him long-term. I've always liked his upside and when he's healthy, he's very good.

I was reading a blog a few weeks ago that suggesting franchising him for just that purpose. That's assuming Champ could be re-signed, and there is actually such a thing as a franchise tag.

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I was reading a blog a few weeks ago that suggesting franchising him for just that purpose. That's assuming Champ could be re-signed, and there is actually such a thing as a franchise tag.

There's gotta be a particular right tackle they're eyeballing in free agency. It's one thing to quietly look to upgrade certain positions in the offseason. It's quite another to so openly say that they are not going to resign one of their own before the offseason technically even starts. I just refuse to believe they're not targeting one or two guys that they are sure will be available. Otherwise it makes no sense to not stay silent or, if forced to comment, express some possibility that he'd be retained/tagged (again, if tags still exist in the new CBA).

Dedhed
01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
This doesn't get me excited...there are holes all over the place and Harris is actually serviceable at the RT position....

"Serviceable" is not at all what you want protecting your QB's back.

oubronco
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Damn does this mean they will be looking at a RT in the early draft now

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 10:36 AM

I don't think we'll know for sure until the coaching staff evaluates the roster

go_broncos
01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't think we'll know for sure until the coaching staff evauluates the roster

why are we releasing him before hiring the coach..
He is a good player..Another Xanders blunder

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 10:37 AM

he really isn't a free agent until March

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 10:40 AM

if he's a UFA, we don't release him, he kinda..ya know...doesn't have a contract anymore

besides, like said, it's not till march, we don't even know the labor situation

chill out

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
they need to find a better player to protect Tims blind side

Tebow has no blind side, he has "chameleon eyes" :~ohyah!:

elsid13
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
If Harris walks, I am would be interested in Doug Free (UFA Dallas) coming in to play right tackle. I think he is a better fit there then LT where Dallas has him playing.

Requiem
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Some good tackles in this draft, not many stars though. Maybe with one of our top four selections we would take one. It seemed like a good idea before Harris' departure anyways.

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Some good tackles in this draft, not many stars though. Maybe with one of our top four selections we would take one. It seemed like a good idea before Harris' departure anyways.

wouldn't we be better off keeping harris and drafting all 4 spots on defense?...

its not like harris is gonna command a monster salary, his value shouldnt be too high...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 01:00 PM
if he's a UFA, we don't release him, he kinda..ya know...doesn't have a contract anymore

besides, like said, it's not till march, we don't even know the labor situation

chill out

You mean go_broncos doesn't understand how things actually work?

I am teh shock.

Cool Breeze
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Oft injured RT don't provide much continuity on the OL
This is what we need.
Don't let the Harris, I mean door, hit you in the ass...

Cool Breeze
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
We might take a hard look at Center while we're at it.

bendog
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Milita, I'm not sure that Harris was ever seen as a long time solution. He was a zone scheme guy with lots of talent, but known for being injury prone and not very physical, but he could play LT in a pinch. Beadles at RT is the question.

bowtown
01-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Milita, I'm not sure that Harris was ever seen as a long time solution. He was a zone scheme guy with lots of talent, but known for being injury prone and not very physical, but he could play LT in a pinch. Beadles at RT is the question.

If Beadles can grow into a good RT, then we should just get Gallery in FA to play LG and call it a day.

bendog
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
well, I never liked Harris much, and not at all unless it was a zone schem. I don't see anyway den does NOt trade down, since we now own the top qb pick, and there are at least 8 OT's who should come off in just the first two rounds.

and there's this guy

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114672

gyldenlove
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
If Beadles can grow into a good RT, then we should just get Gallery in FA to play LG and call it a day.

If we can trade down about 10 places in the draft, we can pick up another 1st round pick and we can trade Orton for a 2nd round pick we can draft 2xDT, OT, CB and LB in the top 2 rounds and call it a day.

TheReverend
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
If we can trade down about 10 places in the draft, we can pick up another 1st round pick and we can trade Orton for a 2nd round pick we can draft 2xDT, OT, CB and LB in the top 2 rounds and call it a day.

The Patriots are the only team in the NFL with 2 1sts at the moment at 17 and 30-32 and I don't see them going for it, or really consider that appropriate compensation for #2

footstepsfrom#27
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
What choice do they have? This is bad news for the defense. From what little I've read on OT's the CU kid is rated at the top of the group. I haven't seen him, and don't inow where he's projected. Would he be there at 36? I'm guessing not...

Requiem
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
There are no Top 15 selections at OT in this draft, Sherrod would probably go first in the later part of the round. Carimi (OT/G) out of Wisconsin could possibly be in that mix too. The guy from Boston College is ranked in that area as well. I'd expect some junior OT's to come out. Given the depth in other areas of this draft, I would not be surprised to see a quality OT be there in the early second round for us.

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM

what is scary is Beadles was worse than an injured Harris this year.

**** THIS ****TY OFFENSIVE LINE

bendog
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
what is scary is Beadles was worse than an injured Harris this year.

**** THIS ****TY OFFENSIVE LINE

yeah, I don't really think Beadles can play rt, and maybe not even guard. But Req's right. OT is stocked with guys in the latter first right through the third round. Letting Harris walk rather than wasting money on him is actually a sign that this cluster**** may be coming to an end. QB is deep too, but imo it has too many reaches to get good value now that Luck's out. We can only hope some team significanlty values one guy over the others and will pay us for him.

MVP-06
01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
our run game looked a hell of a lot better when he came back this year. That's all im saying

gyldenlove
01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
The Patriots are the only team in the NFL with 2 1sts at the moment at 17 and 30-32 and I don't see them going for it, or really consider that appropriate compensation for #2

We just take a package including a 1st and 2nd, flip the 2nd plus whatever else into a 1st rounder.

boppool
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I do hope that Beadles is ready to step his game up!

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Ryan Harris sucks more dick than Brady Quinn at Burning Man!

king neckbeard

Jesterhole
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing him back. Anyone get can injured, and he has played well when healthy. We do need to get some quality depth on the O-line, I think that's obvious. If we do nothing but draft offensive and defensive line, I think I would be ecstatic.