PDA

View Full Version : Elway coming up next on 87.7 with Vic and Gary

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
http://www.877theticket.com

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 08:50 AM
He will be on in a few minutes, should be interesting to see if he has any additional insight on the coaching search.

CEH
01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Elway just said what he's learned in the last 24 hours is that none of the rumors you have heard are true

The interweb is just evil

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 08:59 AM
"I've learned over the last few days that all the rumors that you are hearing are not actually true."

"Don't have permission to talk to Rick Dennison or Ron Rivera yet."

"I have talked to Gary about Rick Dennison."

"I'm more inclined to talk to a coach with NFL experience."

orangemonkey
01-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Man - Elway is a f***in stud. Love his honesty and passion. The difference between him and the McD/Bellicheat mindset is off the charts.

schaaf
01-07-2011, 09:00 AM
has contacted Kubiak about Dennison, has yet to contact San Diego to get permission for Ron Rivera

Chris
01-07-2011, 09:01 AM
My coworker is now telling me how two of his friends banged John Elway when they were 20 and he was 40 something. If John Elway can handle that he can handle a sports team.

BroncosMT
01-07-2011, 09:01 AM
has contacted Kubiak about Dennison, has yet to contact San Diego to get permission for Ron Rivera

Does he plan on contacting about Rivera? did he say?

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Which is weird because he's not been given permission to talk to Dennison. Doesn't Gary know he's John's backup??? rofl

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 09:04 AM
"We have talked about Jim Fassel but we have not talked about Marty (Shottenheimer)."

Steve Sewell
Does he plan on contacting about Rivera? did he say?

He said that Rivera is on their "long list" right now.

montrose
(Basically) confirmed Mularkey is out, saying they don't plan on waiting around. Also, just confirmed Jim Fassel is on their list and they've discussed bringing him in for an interview.

BroncosMT
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
He said that Rivera is on their "long list" right now.

Dang!

Steve Sewell
On Tebow: Attitude and work ethic...wants to be the best he can possibly be. He's not going to cut any corners in doing this. Footwork wise and mechanics wise he needs to improve. Lot of things to work on with technique and accuracy, but big expectations.

SoDak Bronco
Tebow is still young, needs to work on accuracy, football, pro style offense.

montrose
Oh yeah, and #7 said looks like Harbaugh doesn't want to jump to NFL - Michigan could be back in the picture along with Stanford.

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Don't know if we're going to franchise Champ. Love Champ Bailey. There's so many issues on that side of the ball, it would be great to have him.

montrose
01-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Talked to Xanders about franchising Champ, don't know what the number is going to be. Loves Champ, hopeful can make it work with him because he's been a great Denver Bronco. Waiting to see where the new HC will want to go.

Cito Pelon
01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Good to hear they want to interview Dennison. He's not saying a whole lot, but was pretty solid about they want an NFL coach to be the HC, not a college coach.

CEH
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Just threw Josh under the bus again saying decisions were made previously that were not in the best interest of the Denver Broncos

Hillis? Zo? Cutler? wonder exactly what he meant

Cito Pelon
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Elway has a lot on his plate, good of him to take the time to interface with the media. But the 87.7 Vic&Gary is his good buddy. Said he forgot his phone, had to go back home to get it.

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I still think the main target as the next coach is Perry Fewell. John knows not to show all his cards, the guy is under the radar but has a really good chance to be selected.

tsiguy96
01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
brian xanders on sirius, anyone listen in?

BroncoInferno
01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Also, just confirmed Jim Fassel is on their list and they've discussed bringing him in for an interview.

Uhh

Cito Pelon
01-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Dude hasn't even set up his office yet. That's always a big chore actually, to get it set up the way you want it to feel comfortable in. Getting settled in with your assistant staff and getting the office running the way you want it to. He's gonna have to put in some long, long hours the next few weeks. I'm excited to see him get the ball rolling.

srphoenix
01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
anyone know if there is a podcast or something of this, missed it this morning.

Thanks!

McDman
01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Does the ticket have a phone app?

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
"I've learned over the last few days that all the rumors that you are hearing are not actually true."

."

?????????????????????

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
He gets Josh and Shanny's old office, I guess they were renovating it. Haha, the paint had barely dried from all of McD's sayings and such, and they have painted over all of those. The way he talked about Tebow it sounds like Denver is committed to seeing him succeed or fail next season.

montrose
01-07-2011, 09:24 AM
anyone know if there is a podcast or something of this, missed it this morning.

Thanks!

It' should be up later today.

Not right now.

Taco John
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I still think the main target as the next coach is Perry Fewell. John knows not to show all his cards, the guy is under the radar but has a really good chance to be selected.

I'll be suprised if the guy even gets an interview. If he's not been mentioned yet, he's not "the main target."

Dennison is likely the main target.

montrose
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I'll be suprised if the guy even gets an interview. If he's not been mentioned yet, he's not "the main target."

The team's already announced Fewell has an interview http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kicking-Off-the-Head-Coach-Search/7876130d-a3a2-42ee-86b0-1b05b0dc4aa9

BroncoInferno
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM

LOL Now that Kubiak is out of the picture, you are bound and determined that one of the throw backs to the glory days gets the job. Hopefully, John is smarter than that. Also, Fewell has a confirmed inverview scheduled.

Taco John
01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
The team's already announced Fewell has an interview http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kicking-Off-the-Head-Coach-Search/7876130d-a3a2-42ee-86b0-1b05b0dc4aa9

Missed that. Thanks.

I stand corrected.

Taco John
01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
LOL Now that Kubiak is out of the picture, you are bound and determined that one of the throw backs to the glory days gets the job. Hopefully, John is smarter than that. Also, Fewell has a confirmed inverview scheduled.

Not at all. I've never been big on Dennison.

But that's who my gut is telling me will get the job.

BroncoInferno
01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Not at all. I've never been big on Dennison.

Actually, I don't mind the idea of Dennison as much as I did Kubes. Dennsion has coached in several areas (special teams, O-line, offensive coordinator), so that wealth of experience could only help. That said, I think John will go in a different direction, but we shall see. As I said in another thread, most of the guys mentioned for interviews may not be big names, but they have solid qualifications and could probably do a good job PROVIDED that the Elway/Xanders partnership provides a stable environment for that coach and gives them quality personnel and coaches to work with. That will be the key to success or failure, big name coach or not.

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Missed that. Thanks.

I stand corrected.

He's been under the radar like I've said, but he is def. the one to beat IMO.

BroncosMT
01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Why did Fewell leave or get ousted in buffalo???

bowtown
01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

He was the interim head coach last year when Juron got fired. He was out of a job when they brought in Gailey and the new regime. Coughlin wasted no time in snapping him up to fix a miserable 09 Giants D.

montrose
01-07-2011, 09:52 AM

He was just the Interim, went 3-4 in his games as Interim HC. I'm not sure if he was interviewed (I think he was), but I remember Buffalo waiting a long time before hiring Gailey. Fewell might've already taken the Giants DC job by then, can't recall the details.

listopencil
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
This is not the interview but a link to "The John Elway Show" on that station.

http://www.stationcaster.com/stations/kxdp/rss/?c=738

ColoradoBuff
01-07-2011, 09:56 AM

he was the interim HC for 7 games for Buffalo 2 years ago then was NY Giants DC last year. To me Fewell is in the same class as last year's Leslie Frazier and Raheem Morris.

BroncosMT
01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
He was just the Interim, went 3-4 in his games as Interim HC. I'm not sure if he was interviewed (I think he was), but I remember Buffalo waiting a long time before hiring Gailey. Fewell might've already taken the Giants DC job by then, can't recall the details.

Cool thanks....just didn't know much about the guy other than being DC for NYG

listopencil
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
This is not the interview but a link to "The John Elway Show" on that station.

http://www.stationcaster.com/stations/kxdp/rss/?c=738

If you click on that link, the broadcast is in two segments. They are the first and second links on that list.

listopencil
01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
1st segment:
http://www.stationcaster.com/clicktrack/index.mp3?media=%2Fstations%2Fkxdp%2Fmedia%2Fmpeg% 2FThe_John_Elway_Show_with_Vic___Gary__Jan__07-1294420370.mp3&usecat=738&subscribed=true&title=The+John+Elway+Show+with+Vic+%26+Gary%2C+Jan .+07%2C+2011+Part+1&ext=.mp3

2nd segment:
http://www.stationcaster.com/clicktrack/index.mp3?media=%2Fstations%2Fkxdp%2Fmedia%2Fmpeg% 2FThe_John_Elway_Show_with_Vic___Gary-1294420462.mp3&usecat=738&subscribed=true&title=The+John+Elway+Show+with+Vic+%26+Gary%2C+Jan .+07%2C+2011+Part+2&ext=.mp3

baja
01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
If you click on that link, the broadcast is in two segments. They are the first and second links on that list.

thanks

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Tebow is still young, needs to work on accuracy, football, pro style offense.

Sounds like Elway is trying to undermine Tebow.

:rofl:

sutoazul
01-07-2011, 10:23 AM

I have the iphone and there is not an app for 87.7 the ticket. However, get the app: TuneIn Radio (is just like I heart radio app) and just search for 87.7 the ticket in Denver. I have it programmed so that when I open it starts playing the ticket right away, just like I have I heart radio to open 850 KOA right away, plus the Fan app as well.

Hopes that helped.

Chris
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Just say no to the ZBS. No Dennison.

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
he was the interim HC for 7 games for Buffalo 2 years ago then was NY Giants DC last year. To me Fewell is in the same class as last year's Leslie Frazier and Raheem Morris.

that sounds like a good thing to me

Dedhed
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Agree.

bowtown
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM

http://afrojacks.com/images/stories/thats_racist_animated_11197.gif

pricejj
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
2010 NFL Team Leaders Rushing:

1. Kansas City (ZBS)
2. Oakland (ZBS)
3. Philadelphia (Man)(Vick had 676 yards rushing)
4. Jacksonville (ZBS)

I would be happy with Dennison as HC in Denver. He leads a top 10 NFL offense in Houston. ZBS is extremely effective with good talent (need BIG guards in the redzone). If the Broncos do get Dennison, the next thing on the list is to find a GREAT Defensive Coordinator.

lostknight
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
As Lombardi points out - even though he doesn't love the ZBS - ZBS is perfect when you have a highly mobile quarterback and can escape in the red zone.

Inkana7
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM

1. Kansas City (ZBS)
2. Oakland (ZBS)
4. Jacksonville (ZBS)

I would be happy with Dennison as HC in Denver. He leads a top 10 NFL offense in Houston. ZBS is extremely effective with good talent (need BIG guards in the redzone). If the Broncos do get Dennison, the next thing on the list is to find a GREAT Defensive Coordinator.

So, maybe I'm just out of the loop and my thinking is out-dated, but I'm pretty sure that on that list, only Oakland runs ZBS. Jacksonville especially uses a power-blocking scheme.

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
So, maybe I'm just out of the loop and my thinking is out-dated, but I'm pretty sure that on that list, only Oakland runs ZBS. Jacksonville especially uses a power-blocking scheme.

you need to include the Chiefs...why do you think they resigend Casey Wiegmann?

Inkana7
01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
you need to include the Chiefs...why do you think they resigend Casey Wiegmann?

Just because they have a guy who is light, it doesn't mean that they run Zone.. Casey was a Chief for years and years before he signed with us, if you'll remember.

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Just because they have a guy who is light, it doesn't mean that they run Zone.. Casey was a Chief for years and years before he signed with us, if you'll remember.

yes, and yes I remember.

baja
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Hiring Dennison does not make it automatic we go ZBS anymore than it means we automatically run a 4 -3 or 3 -4 defense. My vision is it would be left up to the position coaches with consideration to the players we currently have and what would be the best fit.

Whoever is HC he is going to have to be flexible considering the situation he is inheriting.

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM

1. Kansas City (ZBS)
2. Oakland (ZBS)
4. Jacksonville (ZBS)

Philly does not run a ZBS

How many of those teams made the playoffs?

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Let me guess...is he also well spoken?

pricejj
01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
The best center in the AFC (probowler, Maurkice Pouncey) is just over 300 lbs and is an elite talent, who could play in any OL system. For ZBS to be effective, look at Jacksonville's line.

1. Highly mobile, powerful tackles (~300 lbs)
2. HUGE gaurds (> 320 lbs)
3. Smart, mobile, powerful center (~300 lbs)

You guys are sour on ZBS because during Shanahan's later years we could run it up and down the field all day, but couldn't punch it in in the redzone. Shanahan seriously undervalued the need for BIG, POWERFUL guards.

Dennison would be great at head coach, because he would let his assistant coaches do their job. A good Defensive Coordinator, under Dennison, would get to pick HIS guys, and HIS defense. Unlike any other DC here for the past 15 years.

Finally, the STRUCTURE is in place for the Denver Broncos to be successful.

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 11:42 AM
The best center in the AFC (probowler, Maurkice Pouncey) is just over 300 lbs and is an elite talent, who could play in any OL system. For ZBS to be effective, look at Jacksonville's line.

1. Highly mobile, powerful tackles (~300 lbs)
2. HUGE gaurds (> 320 lbs)
3. Smart, mobile, powerful center (~300 lbs)

You guys are sour on ZBS because during Shanahan's later years we could run it up and down the field all day, but couldn't punch it in in the redzone. Shanahan seriously undervalued the need for BIG, POWERFUL guards.

Dennison would be great at head coach, because he would let his assistant coaches do their job. A good Defensive Coordinator, under Dennison, would get to pick HIS guys, and HIS defense. Unlike any other DC here for the past 15 years.

Finally, the STRUCTURE is in place for the Denver Broncos to be successful.

How do you know this?

Cito Pelon
01-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Well, that's a good point.

I have a soft spot for Dennison since he was an Orange Crush D guy, but I wouldn't like to see the ZBS come back to Denver. I don't see it as a playoff-caliber system.

However, Dennison doesn't have to run the ZBS as an HC.

pricejj
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Philly runs man, but Vick has 676 yards rushing by himself, which skews their numbers. I put that in the post.

1. KC is #1 in the league in rushing yards. The Chiefs are in the playoffs and their QB is Matt Cassel (need I say more).

2. Oakland is steadily getting their **** together, and blew us out in both games this year with a SOLID running attack.

3. Jacksonville's running attack is a beauty to watch.

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Philly runs man, but Vick has 676 yards rushing by himself, which skews their numbers. I put that in the post.

1. KC is #1 in the league in rushing yards. The Chiefs are in the playoffs and their QB is Matt Cassel (need I say more).

2. Oakland is steadily getting their **** together, and blew us out in both games this year with a SOLID running attack.

3. Jacksonville's running attack is a beauty to watch.

It's overrated in today's NFL. The top 8 rushing teams in the NFL have zero chance at a SB win this year (outside of Philly, whose numbers are skewed by Vick - take him away and their running game isn't even league average).

ZONA
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Dennison or any other past Broncos coach - NO THANKS

Ron Rivera - Yes

Jim Fassel - No

John Gruden - Maybe

Brian Billicheck - Maybe

Bob Stoops - Yes but won't happen

Bill Cowher - Yes

Jimmy Johnson - Yes

pricejj
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Tom Nalen said on an interview, that Dennison is very easy to work with, and teaches the same system as Alex Gibbs.

Houston's Defense rivals only the Broncos for worst defense in the league. I think Dennison's top priority would be to get the best damn DC he could find and let him run the show on defense. Just like Kubiak did, by hiring Wade Phillips.

bowtown
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM

I have a soft spot for Dennison since he was an Orange Crush D guy, but I wouldn't like to see the ZBS come back to Denver. I don't see it as a playoff-caliber system.

However, Dennison doesn't have to run the ZBS as an HC.

So Dennison is on Offensive Coach, and the system he is an expert at relies on zone blocking. So what exactly would he be bringing to the table if he came here and ran a totally differnt system that he is unfamiliar with, other than the fact that he used to play in the Orange Crush?

Gutless Drunk
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Dennison or any other past Broncos coach - NO THANKS

Ron Rivera - Yes

Jim Fassel - No

John Gruden - Maybe

Brian Billicheck - Maybe

Bob Stoops - Yes but won't happen

Bill Cowher - Yes

Jimmy Johnson - Yes

Bills son? I think hes like 19. No more little patriots!

pricejj
01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
The teams that have a shot at winning the superbowl this year either have awesome QB's, an awesome Defense, or both.

We have the 2nd worst team in the NFL...

Like Elway, Dennison knows what it takes to win in championships in Denver, CO.

That being said, there is ZERO Defensive knowledge here, and I am not sure that Dennison can get a good DC.

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
The teams that have a shot at winning the superbowl this year either have awesome QB's, an awesome Defense, or both.

That being said, there is ZERO Defensive knowledge here, and I am not sure that Dennison can get a good DC.

people wanted him gone during the super bowl years......Dennison would be the death knell of this franchise.

listopencil
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Truth.

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
people wanted him gone during the super bowl years......Dennison would be the death knell of this franchise.

97 and 98? Dennison was only an offensive assistant during those years

txtebow
01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
This just in : Jhns will be HC, BF7 will be OC and Lex will be the defacto GM--because they are the first 3 people who saw the **** storm that McD was causing...........

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
97 and 98? Dennison was only an offensive assistant during those years

sure about that one?

This is Dennison's second stint as an offensive coordinator in the NFL. He took over the role in Denver from 2006-08 after his predecessor, Gary Kubiak, left Denver to become the head coach of the Houston Texans. Prior to taking over as offensive coordinator, Dennison coached the Broncos offensive line from 2001-05. He resumed that role last season under first-year head coach Josh McDaniels. Dennison coached Denver's special teams from 1997-00 and was an offensive assistant from 1995-96.

epicSocialism4tw
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I have a soft spot for Dennison since he was an Orange Crush D guy, but I wouldn't like to see the ZBS come back to Denver. I don't see it as a playoff-caliber system.However, Dennison doesn't have to run the ZBS as an HC.

Well, the 97-98 Broncos Championship teams used it and basically dominated the NFL in terms of rushing. Its the system that let them dictate terms to the opposition. TD and one of the best OL's in history made it work.

Part of the reason its so stale watching the Broncos these days (pre-Tebow) is because the offense that we currently have does not create big plays. Our defense creates them for the other team, though, so I guess we have that, but I digress. If nothing else, the ZBS creates big plays. We have the red-zone utility knife now in Tebow...the ZBS might work. It also might keep the other team from overcommitting on Tebow as well.

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
sure about that one?

This is Dennison's second stint as an offensive coordinator in the NFL. He took over the role in Denver from 2006-08 after his predecessor, Gary Kubiak, left Denver to become the head coach of the Houston Texans. Prior to taking over as offensive coordinator, Dennison coached the Broncos offensive line from 2001-05. He resumed that role last season under first-year head coach Josh McDaniels. Dennison coached Denver's special teams from 1997-00 and was an offensive assistant from 1995-96.

my bad

PRBronco
01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Well, the 97-98 Broncos Championship teams used it and basically dominated the NFL in terms of rushing. Its the system that let them dictate terms to the opposition. TD and one of the best OL's in history made it work.

Part of the reason its so stale watching the Broncos these days (pre-Tebow) is because the offense that we currently have does not create big plays. Our defense creates them for the other team, though, so I guess we have that, but I digress. If nothing else, the ZBS creates big plays. We have the red-zone utility knife now in Tebow...the ZBS might work. It also might keep the other team from overcommitting on Tebow as well.

Oh you didn't hear? We'll never have a big play on offense because Knowshon only runs a 4.6 40.

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
my bad

Two things I remember most about that staff....Calls for Robinson's head on defense and piss poor ST that was covered up by Gordon.

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Your best guess..Who is head coach of the Broncos nest year?
Adam Schefter (2:49 PM)

A no-nonsense type of guy. Last time Denver liked Steve Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris and Leslie Frazier along with Josh McDaniels. So they had the right idea. I think they're going to get back to someone they know and feel comfortable with. My guess today, subject to change tomorrow, would be Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. But Perry Fewell also would be a superb choice. Too early to

bowtown
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM

A no-nonsense type of guy. Last time Denver liked Steve Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris and Leslie Frazier along with Josh McDaniels. So they had the right idea. I think they're going to get back to someone they know and feel comfortable with. My guess today, subject to change tomorrow, would be Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. But Perry Fewell also would be a superb choice. Too early to

Please let it be Fewell.

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM

A no-nonsense type of guy. Last time Denver liked Steve Spagnuolo, Raheem Morris and Leslie Frazier along with Josh McDaniels. So they had the right idea. I think they're going to get back to someone they know and feel comfortable with. My guess today, subject to change tomorrow, would be Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. ]But Perry Fewell also would be a superb choice. Too early to

is it possible to vomit and crapped yourself at the same time? That's my reaction if he is hired.

mikey555
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I think they should have asked to interview Bill Musgrave instead of Mark Mularkey!!

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-coaches/bill-musgrave/

bowtown
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I think they should have asked to interview Bill Musgrave instead of Mark Mularkey!!

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/roster-coaches/bill-musgrave/

Not sure about HC, but if he doesn't follow Mularkey or get promoted by Atlanta, I'd sure love to give him a look as OC.