PDA

View Full Version : Champ tells ESPN he wants to play Safety?

ZONA
01-07-2011, 02:15 AM
I know there has been forum chat about Champ moving to safety but I never heard anything official from Champ or anybody else. I'm not sure if it's true or not but I was looking at a few 2011 mock drafts and saw comments on WalterFootball that Champ has informed ESPN that he'd like to play safety to prolong his career.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

2) Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Champ Bailey, who is set to become a free agent this offseason, was recently quoted as saying that he's tired of all the change in Denver. It's unlikely that he'll be back. And if he is, Bailey told ESPN that he wants to convert to safety to prolong his NFL career.

Meanwhile, it's possible that Perrish Cox could be headed to prison for a few years in the wake of recent rape allegations. The Broncos obviously need help at corner.

Cornerbacks are seldom taken in the top three, but then again, we said the same thing about defensive tackles prior to the 2010 NFL Draft. Like Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, Patrick Peterson is a special sort of talent that doesn't come around very often.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:21 AM
I don't see Bowers as a possibility at all. It's either Peterson, Fairley, or trade down as far as I can tell. I really hope we trade down.

ZONA
01-07-2011, 02:31 AM
I don't see Bowers as a possibility at all. It's either Peterson, Fairley, or trade down as far as I can tell. I really hope we trade down.

Fair enough - but this thread is about Champ moving to safety.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Fair enough - but this thread is about Champ moving to safety.

Hey you put that other stuff in as well. :wiggle:

As far as Champ moving to safety, I'm not so sure I'm all that wild about the idea. Not that he wouldn't be able to dominate at the position when healthy, I just wonder if he can stay healthy taking the extra beating (even a coverage safety has to play the run more than a corner).

It's looking more and more like we're going to need to target a corner in the first few rounds no matter what.

ColoradoDarin
01-07-2011, 02:46 AM
I don't think this is anything really new, I mean it's been speculated for over a year that Champ would eventually switch to safety. That doesn't mean that he's going to do so this season.

UberBroncoMan
01-07-2011, 03:46 AM
This is pretty old news. Champ said a while back he'd be going safety in a few years. He wants a Charles Woodson contract - 5 years $55 million. He'll probably switch to safety around age 35 to 36.

cousinal11
01-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Trade down and take Dareus.

shovelpass#30
01-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Hey you put that other stuff in as well. :wiggle:

As far as Champ moving to safety, I'm not so sure I'm all that wild about the idea. Not that he wouldn't be able to dominate at the position when healthy, I just wonder if he can stay healthy taking the extra beating (even a coverage safety has to play the run more than a corner).

True, but Champ has shown that he can play the run as well as any other corner in the league (and most of our LBs) over the last few years...

chrisp
01-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Corners move to safety when they lose their speed, but the thing about champ is he always had great speed so he can lose a step or two and still play the position. He'll move to safety when he woudl otherwise retire as a corner, and i don't think he's there yet.

I imagine that hell move to free safety as opposed to strong and won't be asked to do so much run support, but champ has never shied away from contact anyway. If you're only talking about adding a year or maybe two on to his career then the extra contact isn't such a problem, although with any player in their 30's sometime injuries force them to retire before they want to so you never know....but i don't think he's planning to play the next 5 years at safety or anything like that

CEH
01-07-2011, 06:34 AM
This is pretty old news. Champ said a while back he'd be going safety in a few years. He wants a Charles Woodson contract - 5 years $55 million. He'll probably switch to safety around age 35 to 36.

The move to safety was written into the last contract before it was pulled.
Not earth shattering news . I've said it before that one reason the contract was pulled to be reevalulated was that there as never been a 35/36 DB making CHamp's money

The proposed contract was something like 4 year 40-42 MM contract

Just said last night he may be more inclined to sign now that Elway is in the fold and had always wanted to end his career here

Old Dude
01-07-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't think this is anything really new, I mean it's been speculated for over a year that Champ would eventually switch to safety. That doesn't mean that he's going to do so this season.

The speculation about that started at least two years ago (to the day):

http://broncosfreaks.com/index.php/2009/01/champ-bailey-to-play-at-safety-in-2009/

Champs comments about a Woodson-like transition were reported back in March of 2010.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=163788

Champ's comments to the ESPN about playing safety were made back in June:

http://www.mkrob.com/broncos-cb-champ-bailey-willing-to-take-pay-cut-to-play-free-safety/

HooptyHoops
01-07-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't care how we do it, but I want to see Camp retire as a Bronco!

NEBronco
01-07-2011, 06:54 AM
I totally agree! I dont care how it happens I just want Champ to retire a Bronco. The guy is a class act, and I love the way he plays the game. Before he came to Denver I didnt really know much about him, but have been so impressed with the way he plays the run game. I hope he retires a Bronco!

Denver724
01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
I think people need to remember one player that may draw interest. AJ Green could be a target of some teams looking to move up.

Old Dude
01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
I hope very much that Champ stays here.

Great player, veteran leadership. Has his priorities straight and has never had any kind of off-the-field problem.

I do think he slipped a bit this year - especially early in the season - but then rebounded. Even so, he's solid at CB and could indeed extend his career a year or two with a move to free safety.

I hope we can afford him.

Bigdawg26
01-07-2011, 07:31 AM
It would be nice have a safety with coverage skills if we resign him. But I think the pick will either be Farley, Peterson, dareus, or bowers depending on free agency and the
combine.

listopencil
01-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Pick Petersen, move Champ to Safety.

Pick Six
01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
If Champ moves to safety, that would make me very happy. I might move to Russia, in order to have my way with Oleg's leftovers...

ZONA
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
If we do indeed take Peterson and Champ does decide to stay here, it's almost a sure bet he'd move to safety. You'd still want to keep Goodman as the other corner. The last few weeks when he was healthy, he played pretty good so I think he's still got enough to start on the other side. As for the other safety, well it's a toss up between McBath and Dawkins. I'd rate those 2 guys about the same right now. Some mock drafts have us taking the kid from UCLA in the 2nd and have him rated as the best safety in the drat, so that would be interesting.

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
If we do indeed take Peterson and Champ does decide to stay here, it's almost a sure bet he'd move to safety. You'd still want to keep Goodman as the other corner. The last few weeks when he was healthy, he played pretty good so I think he's still got enough to start on the other side. As for the other safety, well it's a toss up between McBath and Dawkins. I'd rate those 2 guys about the same right now. Some mock drafts have us taking the kid from UCLA in the 2nd and have him rated as the best safety in the drat, so that would be interesting.

Great....CB in first, safety in the second.....another year of ignoring the DLine with their quality picks. Sad part is, I can see this happening.

razorwire77
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM

If we take Peterson at no. 2 overall, I'll be pretty pissed if we don't address front seven with the 2nd rounders.

ZONA
01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Great....CB in first, safety in the second.....another year of ignoring the DLine with their quality picks. Sad part is, I can see this happening.

If Champ leaves and Cox is headed to jail, I could definitely see this happening. All of a sudden, your secondary would quickly become the weak link on the team and they would have to address it fast.

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
If Champ leaves and Cox is headed to jail, I could definitely see this happening. All of a sudden, your secondary would quickly become the weak link on the team and they would have to address it fast.

But a safety? They just invested in a bunch of young safeties. Give em time or, if they really suck, go to FA for short money. DLine is a weakness now and has been for years and is not as easily "fixed" via FA or trades. You've got to draft them and draft them fairly high. Now is the time to strike. There is real quality in the mid first through second round and we can't waste all our prime picks on other areas. We've done that for far too long and look where it's gotten us.

Old Dude
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Character issues could drop McDaniel to the late 2d or 3rd.

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpAk11N3VkM&feature=related

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSIk-LgiHjM&feature=related

dsmoot
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
The only thing that appears loud and clear above all the speculation is that Champ is tired of being in the Denver revolving door defense and wants a real opportunity for a championship ring before he retires. Denver has nothing to attract Champ to stay. Another defensive coordinator (probably), a complete need to restock the defense to make the team competitive (2 - 3 yrs), a team that withdrew a signable contract and a new QB to come up to speed to a championship level.

If I were Champ, I would say "I love you Denver and my time there but I need to move on to reach my goals before the sun sets" Given what I believe motivates a person like Champ, I don't think there is difference in money that would keep him in Denver at this point.

Where CB has been somewhat ??? a position of strength with Champ. The situation with Cox will probably become a real need like the DL. Our defensive depth is not good and this is depressing. I don't think we look that attractive to many quality head coaching candidates.

Taco John
01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm all for it. We need a safety. This makes me a little hotter on Peterson than I previously was.

Old Dude
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I think the situation is worse than most people realize.

The strong safety spot requires a guy who can take some hits and dish them out. Dawkins is a prototype, but I'm afraid that his age has caught up with him. He had a fantastic year in 2009, but missed multiple games with injuries this time around.

McBath has been the backup but I seriously question whether he is big and tough enough for that position. He was drafted as a free safety and it seems like he's been battered out there every time he suits up as a SS.

Goodman is getting old. Cox isn't very good and he may very well go to jail. Thompson is small.

We might not draft a DB in the first round, but something needs to be done or it won't make any difference who we have on the front 7.

Que
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
\

I imagine that hell move to free safety as opposed to strong and won't be asked to do so much run support, but champ has never shied away from contact anyway.

With his experience, instincts and speed, Champ at Free Safety could be the very definition of a ball hawk. Assuming the replacement corner does not suck, Champ at FS could cause opposing QB's to wet their pants at the very thought of throwing over the middle or into slants.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
True, but Champ has shown that he can play the run as well as any other corner in the league (and most of our LBs) over the last few years...

That wasn't my point. My point was that FS is a more physical position, and that I have my doubts about his ability to stay healthy playing it.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
We might not draft a DB in the first round, but something needs to be done or it won't make any difference who we have on the front 7.

You got that backwards. With the current state of our front 7, it doesn't matter who we have in the secondary.

Old Dude
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
You got that backwards. With the current state of our front 7, it doesn't matter who we have in the secondary.

I think the front 7 is much easier to fix.

Assuming Dumervil comes back healthy, you've suddenly got the guy who led the NFL in sacks in place of a marginal backup.

The biggest problem with the front 3 - Bannon, Williams and Vickerson is that they get worn down, because the offense had too many three and outs and our D-Line backups suck. It's not that hard to find better backups.

We actually found an agressive high-motor player in Mays. Unfortunately, he went down too. He'll be back and that will help.

Ayers was drafted in the first round as a project and that's exactly what he's been. He seemed to be making good progress before he was hurt. Another camp under his belt will help a lot.

Things aren't that hopeless up front.

They are hopeless, at least at the moment, in the secondary.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I think the front 7 is much easier to fix.

Assuming Dumervil comes back healthy, you've suddenly got the guy who led the NFL in sacks in place of a marginal backup.

The biggest problem with the front 3 - Bannon, Williams and Vickerson is that they get worn down, because the offense had too many three and outs and our D-Line backups suck. It's not that hard to find better backups.

We actually found an agressive high-motor player in Mays. Unfortunately, he went down too. He'll be back and that will help.

Ayers was drafted in the first round as a project and that's exactly what he's been. He seemed to be making good progress before he was hurt. Another camp under his belt will help a lot.

Things aren't that hopeless up front.

They are hopeless, at least at the moment, in the secondary.

It's more important to make our front 7 great than to make our secondary good. We can live with a sub-par secondary much more than a sub-par or even average front 7.

KipCorrington25
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
If he wants to play safety he's going to have to accept a much smaller contract regardless of where he goes which I'm sure he won't want to do.

oubronco
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I haven't seen anything to make me think Peterson is that good

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I haven't seen anything to make me think Peterson is that good

What did you expect? The guy is a shutdown corner that no one throws at.

OrangeSe7en
01-07-2011, 06:59 PM
What did you expect? The guy is a shutdown corner that no one throws at.

But they've thrown at him.

DarkHorse
01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
But they've thrown at him.

Several times so far. Must not be actually watching the game, just regurgitating internet lore.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Several times so far. Must not be actually watching the game, just regurgitating internet lore.

I started watching late. I've only seen one (off-target) pass thrown at his man and his coverage was perfect.