PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett

KevinJames
01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
He declared.

But why is he being touted as a top 15 pick?

terrible footwork accuracy issues, long throwing motion, not the smartest guy on the field.

so he has mechanics issues.....so did Tim Tebow I don't get it. Why does Tebow get 2nd 3rd round projections but Ryan doesn't?

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Because he has a big arm and he's not Tim Tebow.

That said, I'll be very surprised if he's actually drafted in the 1st round.

That One Guy
01-06-2011, 11:26 PM
How does a program like Michigan have a backup QB that couldn't hit Charlie Weiss in the ass at 20 yds... This guy can throw hard but he is terrible. You'd think someone with a smidgeon of talent would be more willing to be the backup at Michigan than the starter at Northwestern Utah Community College... That's where this guy belongs. This is the worst I think I've seen Michigan playing in years. Possibly ever

I've been questioning the hype on that fool since he first stepped on the field for Michigan. I thought he sucked and it sounds like he hasn't gotten any better.

Must be 'cause he can throw it over them mountains.

yerner
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Mallet is also too tall. Apparently there has never been a successful qb above 6'6. I don't know if that means anything, but I don't think it's just a coincidence.

That said, Mallett can really throw the ball while Tebow cannot.

NFLBRONCO
01-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Mallet is also too tall. Apparently there has never been a successful qb above 6'6. I don't know if that means anything, but I don't think it's just a coincidence.

Isn't Peyton 6'6 like Mallett?

Archer81
01-07-2011, 12:17 AM

Mallett:

2007 MICH 61 141 43.3 892 6.3 7 97 5 105.69
2009 ARK 225 403 55.8 3627 9.0 30 83 7 152.52
2010 ARK 266 411 64.7 3869 9.4 32 89 12 163.65

Tebow:

2006 FLA 22 33 66.7 358 10.8 5 55 1 201.73
2007 FLA 234 350 66.9 3286 9.4 32 66 6 172.47
2008 FLA 192 298 64.4 2746 9.2 30 70 4 172.37
2009 FLA 213 314 67.8 2895 9.2 21 80 5 164.17

I dunno...seems Tebow was a bit more consistent in college.

:Broncos:

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 12:27 AM

Hilarious!

footstepsfrom#27
01-07-2011, 12:31 AM

He's got probably the best arm in the colllege game and you can't coach 6'7". Mallet will go top 10 I think...problems or not.

That One Guy
01-07-2011, 12:40 AM
He's got probably the best arm in the colllege game and you can't coach 6'7". Mallet will go top 10 I think...problems or not.

You say best, you mean just strongest?

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 12:41 AM

The problem is that he's a terribly stupid quarterback who is rather inaccurate. But, you're right, someone may well pick him just because he has a strong arm. There isn't any other reason to draft him though, and that team is probably going to regret it.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Isn't Peyton 6'6 like Mallett?

Peyton is 6'5". Mallett is 6'7".

That One Guy
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
The problem is that he's a terribly stupid quarterback who is rather inaccurate. But, you're right, someone may well pick him just because he has a strong arm. There isn't any other reason to draft him though, and that team is probably going to regret it.

Is there a Mallet-Russell comparison here or are they different?

Just think if they're similar, coaches may shy a bit more after the trainwreck that was Jamarcus.

schaaf
01-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I was very unimpressed watching Mallet that last game.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Is there a Mallet-Russell comparison here or are they different?

Just think if they're similar, coaches may shy a bit more after the trainwreck that was Jamarcus.

Not so sure about that. I tend to see him as a taller, less accurate, and less athletic Cutler honestly.

OBF1
01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Joe Flacco is 6'6"

footstepsfrom#27
01-07-2011, 01:01 AM
You say best, you mean just strongest?
Yeah...he's got a real canon. With all the team's that need QB's, someone is going to either take him high or trade up for him.

footstepsfrom#27
01-07-2011, 01:04 AM
He completed almost 65% of his passes this year, so I wouldn't call him inaccurate. I don't know if he's stupid or not, but I've watched him whenever I had a chance and he's definitely got NFL talent.

NUB
01-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I'd take him over Locker, but all the QBs this draft have bust written all over them, IMO.

Doggcow
01-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Because Tim Tebow gets 1000x the scrutiny ANY OTHER PLAYER EVER has gotten.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Because Tim Tebow gets 1000x the scrutiny ANY OTHER PLAYER EVER has gotten.

Pretty much. Beyond that, people actually make up flaws in his game, trying to undermine him.

KevinJames
01-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Hes like a combo of Jamarcus and Cutler

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:40 AM

Yuck...

elsid13
01-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Hilarious!

Mallet has he strongest arm in either in College or Pros, right now. When he sets his feet he has the ability to throw the ball better then anyone I have ever seen. Laugh all you want but there is no question about arm strength or accuracy. The kid can throw on frozen rope.

Drek
01-07-2011, 06:11 AM
He declared.

terrible footwork accuracy issues, long throwing motion, not the smartest guy on the field.

so he has mechanics issues.....so did Tim Tebow I don't get it. Why does Tebow get 2nd 3rd round projections but Ryan doesn't?

Same reason people think Cutler is anything more than a middle of the road QB five years into his NFL career or why Jeff George continued to get opportunities.

They all got that fastball scouts can jerk off to.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Pretty much. Beyond that, people actually make up flaws in his game, trying to undermine him.

Just curious what you think the cause for this is. Assuming you actually believe that there's some conspiracy of people out there trying to "undermine" Tim Tebow, who they spent four years slurping in college as the greatest college player ever.

Just wondering. Doesn't seem to actually make any sense.

SoDak Bronco
01-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Mallet looks like a pissed off crappy version of Drew Bledsoe

Dedhed
01-07-2011, 06:28 AM
He declared.

Because Scouts are retards who get blinded by things that have nothing to do with how good a football player a guy is.

The fact that Mallet looks like a prototype QB makes them blind to all his inadequacies.

NUB
01-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Just curious what you think the cause for this is. Assuming you actually believe that there's some conspiracy of people out there trying to "undermine" Tim Tebow, who they spent four years slurping in college as the greatest college player ever.

Just wondering. Doesn't seem to actually make any sense.

I think he means that Tebow is one of the most scrutinized players ever and a lot of it is uncalled for. I mean you had a lot of people saying he was a 5th round pick, or that he could never be an NFL QB, or that he couldn't do this or that or whatever. The guy simply has an extraordinary amount of detractors.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 06:38 AM
I think he means that Tebow is one of the most scrutinized players ever and a lot of it is uncalled for. I mean you had a lot of people saying he was a 5th round pick, or that he could never be an NFL QB, or that he couldn't do this or that or whatever. The guy simply has an extraordinary amount of detractors.

And I get all that. (Though I never heard the 5th round pick business. Third, yes, fifth, no.)

My question is about whether that scrutiny was some sort of an "attempt to undermine him" or whether those concerns -- the slow throwing motion, looking to run early and often, the non-pro-style offense he ran in college -- were actually valid football concerns.

I don't hate Tim Tebow, but I do wonder if he'll be able to shorten his motion, which in my opinion will hinder him at this level. I certainly hope he can, and that's the biggest question mark for me about his game. But by no means am I trying to "undermine" Tim, and nobody called me in the middle of the night to tell me to have questions about his game so that this overarching cabal of people could have control of Tim Tebow's future.

To hear Agamemnon tell it, that's exactly what happened. It's all a conspiracy to... to... keep Tebow from being successful, I guess. Which just seems pretty ****ing loony if you ask me.

Kaylore
01-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Not fan.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Also: I don't like Ryan Mallett. I'm a Michigan fan and didn't like him when he was there, and I thought he **** the bed WAY too much in big spots for him to be a legit NFL QB. I think Tebow has far more upside than he does.

elsid13
01-07-2011, 06:47 AM
And I get all that. (Though I never heard the 5th round pick business. Third, yes, fifth, no.)

My question is about whether that scrutiny was some sort of an "attempt to undermine him" or whether those concerns -- the slow throwing motion, looking to run early and often, the non-pro-style offense he ran in college -- were actually valid football concerns.

I don't hate Tim Tebow, but I do wonder if he'll be able to shorten his motion, which in my opinion will hinder him at this level. I certainly hope he can, and that's the biggest question mark for me about his game. But by no means am I trying to "undermine" Tim, and nobody called me in the middle of the night to tell me to have questions about his game so that this overarching cabal of people could have control of Tim Tebow's future.

To hear Agamemnon tell it, that's exactly what happened. It's all a conspiracy to... to... keep Tebow from being successful, I guess. Which just seems pretty ****ing loony if you ask me.

It like a personal affront if anyone even bring a specter of another young QB and compares him to Tebow. People have become very emotional involved with Tebow as Broncos starting QB.

Ray Finkle
01-07-2011, 07:02 AM
He's got a cannon but poor decision making and is immobile....Dan McGwire II?

went there....

elsid13
01-07-2011, 07:07 AM

went there....

Dan McGwire was the last 6'6"" plus QB drafted in the 1st round, which scares a lot of the scouts. I think he better then Dan McGwire because of his experience in SEC and Big 10.

NUB
01-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Well I don't know about any conspiracies or attempts to undermine him, but it appears to me like Tebow has an extraordinary amount of detractors. And I do not mean people who have criticism like his release is slow or that he runs too much. I'm talking about guys who outright say the guy wont make it, period. He needs to change to fullback, halfback, even linebacker. There was a lot of that sort of talk pre-draft and not just by internet junkies, either.

I think that sort of talk is okay if you're dealing with a Matt Jones or Pat White sort of QB, but Tebow played enough QB against solid competition for a long enough period to make that sort of talk just stupid. But there it was.

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 07:11 AM

He's like the JJ Redick of football X1,000,000

cmhargrove
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Joe Flacco is 6'6"

This.

I'm sure all the pre-draft analysis will be comparing him with Joe Flacco. Deserved or not, that will be the comparison. With Luck off the board, he is a guaranteed first rounder.

Drek
01-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Also: I don't like Ryan Mallett. I'm a Michigan fan and didn't like him when he was there, and I thought he **** the bed WAY too much in big spots for him to be a legit NFL QB. I think Tebow has far more upside than he does.

Tebow has more upside than arguably any QB to ever play in the NFL. That comes with one of the lowest floors though.

If Tebow is able to mature as a passer and prove his somewhat unorthodox delivery is not a liability he's got talent beyond measure.

Fantastic touch and accuracy on his deep ball.

Greater athleticism than RBs, WRs, and DBs 20 or even 40 pounds lighter than him.

A build and physical strength that will enable him to shed tacklers and keep plays alive.

Natural leadership and charisma.

Integrity and work ethic above reproach.

The only question is if he can pass the ball at the NFL level. If that proves to be true all his other pluses are things no other QB combines into a single package.

cmhargrove
01-07-2011, 07:23 AM

I hate to get off topic and turn a Mallett thread into a Tebow thread, but I think this is one of the greatest misconceptions about Tebow. His issue really isn't his throwing motion at all.

What is taking him too much time is his decision making - which is normal for a three game rookie. Currently, he has been getting himself familiar with pro-play and with his team mates. He is waiting until his receivers are open, which is way too late in professional football. He needs to know where his receivers are going and release the ball before they make their breaks. This is a normal trait of rookie QB's.

When he gets more practice, he should be able to trust his receivers on their routes and make his decision earlier. It's just not about the fraction of a second on a windup, or his throwing velocity. When a receiver breaks wide open, it's often too late to throw.

Watch his Florida stuff. When he gets familiar with the receivers (with a full offseason of practice), things will tighten up.

That One Guy
01-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Ok, fine, since this is a two part thread apparently, f Mallet and Tebow.

Don't the silly pissing contests ever stop? Couldn't Mallet have a thread?

Cito Pelon
01-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Mallet seems like a decent pro prospect. A good combine and he goes in round 1.

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
I think Mallett is more Jay Cutler than anyone else

great big arm, gambles a lot, makes some horrible mistakes in crunch time

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I was very unimpressed watching Mallet that last game.

So you judge after one game ... I would say his coach let him down . that team was not prepared for the game but keep dumping on the kid.

This place is full of pompous ass's

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 08:08 AM

went there....

Way more moble than McGwire ,He could not move at all . He is more like Orton. If you Get Mallett you need a OL Like Miami had for years. He can scramble about as good as Orton.

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 08:10 AM
I think Mallett is more Jay Cutler than anyone else

great big arm, gambles a lot, makes some horrible mistakes in crunch time

so all the wins he had a D ?:giggle:

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 08:12 AM
so all the wins he had a D ?:giggle:

I watched him against Auburn, Alabama and Ohio State and they all had 3 things in common

game ending interceptions in crunch time

it wasn't the first game I watched Mallet play..sorry

I don't think he's terrible. Jay Cutler, last I checked, is a pro QB, so obviously Mallett is talented enough to play in the NFL and he will be a top 10 pick for sure, just like Cutler was.

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Mallett Should of stayed in School for that I agree he will probably fail . If a team takes there time and gives him 2 years to learn a system .Mallett gets into trouble when he presses because his Ol is getting owned. As the game goes on he starts to press and if his OL is still getting owned he starts to press and wam.. but you guys act like that would not happen to other great QB's ...sure thing.

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I watched him against Auburn, Alabama and Ohio State and they all had 3 things in common

game ending interceptions in crunch time

it wasn't the first game I watched Mallet play..sorry

I don't think he's terrible. Jay Cutler, last I checked, is a pro QB, so obviously Mallett is talented enough to play in the NFL and he will be a top 10 pick for sure, just like Cutler was.

So what you are saying is when his OL looks like a Sieve he starts to have problems. that is true about any QB. Nice try though.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I hate to get off topic and turn a Mallett thread into a Tebow thread, but I think this is one of the greatest misconceptions about Tebow. His issue really isn't his throwing motion at all.

What is taking him too much time is his decision making - which is normal for a three game rookie. Currently, he has been getting himself familiar with pro-play and with his team mates. He is waiting until his receivers are open, which is way too late in professional football. He needs to know where his receivers are going and release the ball before they make their breaks. This is a normal trait of rookie QB's.

When he gets more practice, he should be able to trust his receivers on their routes and make his decision earlier. It's just not about the fraction of a second on a windup, or his throwing velocity. When a receiver breaks wide open, it's often too late to throw.

Watch his Florida stuff. When he gets familiar with the receivers (with a full offseason of practice), things will tighten up.

Fine that you think that. I worry about his long, looping delivery.

It was one of the questions about his game coming out of Florida. The long delivery was still there in the season finale against San Diego.

Yes, decision making comes with experience. He must work on his windup too, IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying this just to agree with the experts, and I'm not making something up to "undermine" Tim. I think his delivery needs work.

~Crash~
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Mile High Shack tell me this . If Cutler had a real OL do you think he has all the problems he has in Chicago ? People are talk crap about him but he seems to be in the play offs with a OL that is down right scary.

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Mile High Shack tell me this . If Cutler had a real OL do you think he has all the problems he has in Chicago ? People are talk crap about him but he seems to be in the play offs with a OL that is down right scary.

I think 90% of NFL starting QBs would've had about the same record with that defense

Martz changed 1/2 way through the year and kept more protection in, so if you notice, his sack total went down because of that

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Sigh. Everything devolves into a Cutler thread.

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 08:28 AM
So what you are saying is when his OL looks like a Sieve he starts to have problems. that is true about any QB. Nice try though.

I suppose, I just notice in crunch time he makes some stupid decisions, that's all, don't take it personal, just an observation

Mile High Shack
01-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Sigh. Everything devolves into a Cutler thread.

I thought my comparison is accurate, I wasn't hacking on Cutler, he is a pro QB who was a top pick, I guess I could've said someone else, but I didn't

ColoradoBuff
01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Mallett is alot better than he is getting credit for in this thread.

elsid13
01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Mallett is alot better than he is getting credit for in this thread.

Yeah he is. Mallet needs to go to the right system to be successful, but there is potential there. In many ways he reminds me of Kerry Collins and Tenn would be perfect fit for him.

cmhargrove
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Fine that you think that. I worry about his long, looping delivery.

It was one of the questions about his game coming out of Florida. The long delivery was still there in the season finale against San Diego.

Yes, decision making comes with experience. He must work on his windup too, IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying this just to agree with the experts, and I'm not making something up to "undermine" Tim. I think his delivery needs work.

I agree that he has lots to work on, but usually "long delivery" generally gets you sacked (see Drew Beldsoe). It generally has less to do with being able to hit a receiver on target.

I'm with you, Tim has a lot to work on. However, look at his Florida highlights when he is comfortable with his route development, and you will see that he should get much better with some familiarity with his receivers.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I agree that he has lots to work on, but usually "long delivery" generally gets you sacked (see Drew Beldsoe). It generally has less to do with being able to hit a receiver on target.

I'm with you, Tim has a lot to work on. However, look at his Florida highlights when he is comfortable with his route development, and you will see that he should get much better with some familiarity with his receivers.

Not necessarily. If it gives a defensive back .5 seconds longer to make a break on the ball, it can result in a knocked down pass, which was something I noticed in the San Diego game in particular. When he really wants to put some mustard on the ball, he goes back to his pitching windup.

If he would use the motion he used in his pre-draft workouts, and even this preseason, I'd be much happier. REALLY want to see him work on it.

Cito Pelon
01-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah he is. Mallet needs to go to the right system to be successful, but there is potential there. In many ways he reminds me of Kerry Collins and Tenn would be perfect fit for him.

I was thinking the same.

USMCBladerunner
01-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Yikes...that essentially makes for the leader in interceptions for wherever fat lazy losers go to play after they get run out of the NFL

bombay
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Mallett does remind me of cutler, with a bigger arm. He tries to force the ball into spaces it won't go in.

Dangling participle.

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I watched Mallet play every game at Arkansas and he's ready to step on the NFL field and play tomorrow. Not a throw he can't make and throws the back shoulder fade as well as anyone in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Jones doesn't make a move on him.....play a few years behind Romo and then become a top NFL QB.

listopencil
01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Is there a smaller, crappier version of Tebow that we can draft in the latter rounds to back him up?

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Is there a smaller, crappier version of Tebow that we can draft in the latter rounds to back him up?

Hummm..... "Baby Tebow" I like it.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Colt McCoy came out last year... Hilarious!

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I watched Mallet play every game at Arkansas and he's ready to step on the NFL field and play tomorrow. Not a throw he can't make and throws the back shoulder fade as well as anyone in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Jones doesn't make a move on him.....play a few years behind Romo and then become a top NFL QB.

The stupid throws he makes virtually every game don't give you pause?

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
The stupid throws he makes virtually every game don't give you pause?

Did you read my post? Does it sound like I'm concerned about any of his throws? What part of my post confused you?

That One Guy
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Did you read my post? Does it sound like I'm concerned about any of his throws? What part of my post confused you?

So, in summary, it may be a stupid throw but he throws it so hard, it's acceptable?

Got it!:thumbsup:

gyldenlove
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Mallett is a better John Skelton, big body, big arm, but lacks fundamentals.

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
So, in summary, it may be a stupid throw but he throws it so hard, it's acceptable?

Got it!:thumbsup:

No, you didn't get it! No where in my post did I mention stupid or hard throws. I think he has an excellent arm and make throws that a lot of QB's can't make including throws with a nice touch.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
No, you didn't get it! No where in my post did I mention stupid or hard throws. I think he has an excellent arm and make throws that a lot of QB's can't make including throws with a nice touch.

We are talking about Ryan Mallett right? Not someone else?

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 03:23 PM
We are talking about Ryan Mallett right? Not someone else?

Let me make this simple, OB's with quality skills are usually drafted in the first round. Cam Newton will go at #3 to the Bills and after that Ryan Mallett will either go #8 to the Titans or #10 to Washington or worse case #12 Vikings. But.... I could see Dallas making a move to get Mallett.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Let me make this simple, OB's with quality skills are usually drafted in the first round. Cam Newton will go at #3 to the Bills and after that Ryan Mallett will either go #8 to the Titans or #10 to Washington or worse case #12 Vikings. But.... I could see Dallas making a move to get Mallett.

Okay, and what does that have to do with your previous statements regarding his apparently flawless game? ???

jerad_geiger10
01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
doesn't make any sense. if he had the natural athleticism and leadership character that tebow has i would understand, but there is no way mallett should be considered a first round pick.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
doesn't make any sense. if he had the natural athleticism and leadership character that tebow has i would understand, but there is no way mallett should be considered a first round pick.

Yet he is, and precisely because he isn't Tebow.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Yet he is, and precisely because he isn't Tebow.

Right. Because everyone wants to undermine Tim and push up every other QB to ever be drafted.

Christ, you really aren't very bright.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Right. Because everyone wants to undermine Tim and push up every other QB to ever be drafted.

Not what I meant. Because he isn't Tebow, every aspect of his game isn't picked apart and every strength isn't minimized.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Not what I meant. Because he isn't Tebow, every aspect of his game isn't picked apart and every strength isn't minimized.

I guaran-****ing-tee you that by the time the draft rolls around, his mechanics, footwork, intellect and everything else will be picked apart and evaluated the exact same way it was for Tebow. Just because there are different findings doesn't mean that he was spared the rod.

He plays in a more pro-ready system and is a drop-back passer. So no, his game won't be picked apart in exactly the same way that Tebow's was.

You've really got to get over this persecution complex of yours.

bombay
01-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Some of the Tebowites remind me very much of jealous wives.

I'm all for giving the guy a legitimate shot, but every other QB that has potential to be his competition doesn't necesarily suck.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Some of the Tebowites remind me very much of jealous wives.

I'm all for giving the guy a legitimate shot, but every other QB that has potential to be his competition doesn't necesarily suck.

And discussing other quarterbacks shouldn't necessarily draw the ire of everyone who has a raging Tebowner.

bombay
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
And discussing other quarterbacks shouldn't necessarily draw the ire of everyone who has a raging Tebowner.

Right.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I guaran-****ing-tee you that by the time the draft rolls around, his mechanics, footwork, intellect and everything else will be picked apart and evaluated the exact same way it was for Tebow. Just because there are different findings doesn't mean that he was spared the rod.

He plays in a more pro-ready system and is a drop-back passer. So no, his game won't be picked apart in exactly the same way that Tebow's was.

You've really got to get over this persecution complex of yours.

Persecution complex? :rofl:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Persecution complex? :rofl:

Yes. Persecution complex. Where you think that everything that was said about Tebow prior to the draft was A) unfounded and B) said because people want to persecute Tim Tebow.

:rofl:

/mocking you

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes. Persecution complex. Where you think that everything that was said about Tebow prior to the draft was A) unfounded and B) said because people want to persecute Tim Tebow.

:rofl:

/mocking you

Question:

Do you honestly believe that all the criticisms lobbed at Tebow pre-draft were reasonable and well thought out? Do you believe he is given due credit for his strengths by most "experts"?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Question:

Do you honestly believe that all the criticisms lobbed at Tebow pre-draft were reasonable and well thought out? Do you believe he is given due credit for his strengths by most "experts"?

I rarely think that "all" or "none" of the criticisms lobbed at any player or person are dead on.

I think the questions about his lack of experience running a pro-style offense were legitimate, and I think the questions about his footwork and throwing style were reasonable and relevant. I worry about his throwing motion, as I've mentioned here before.

I also think the credit he was given for his leadership and character were dead on. And he was given a LOT of credit for his leadership and character.

I think he was underrated, being projected as a third rounder, but it might be time for you to let go of the slights directed at Tebow a ****ing year ago and start to look at him as the leader of this franchise... which means looking at the good AND the bad.

That One Guy
01-07-2011, 04:43 PM

You said he can make all the throws. The other poster said he also makes stupid throws sometimes. You refused to address that, pointing to your statement that he can make all the throws. You implied that the two are exclusive.

You can make this simple and just address his point now. What do you think of the supposed bad throws he makes?

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I rarely think that "all" or "none" of the criticisms lobbed at any player or person are dead on.

I think the questions about his lack of experience running a pro-style offense were legitimate, and I think the questions about his footwork and throwing style were reasonable and relevant. I worry about his throwing motion, as I've mentioned here before.

I also think the credit he was given for his leadership and character were dead on. And he was given a LOT of credit for his leadership and character.

I think he was underrated, being projected as a third rounder, but it might be time for you to let go of the slights directed at Tebow a ****ing year ago and start to look at him as the leader of this franchise... which means looking at the good AND the bad.

Fair enough. My issue is that much of the same nonsense is still being spewed about the guy, in the media and on these boards. This isn't something that only happened a year ago. There are people now harping on his accuracy because he only completed 50% of his passes, even though that is very common for rookie QBs. There are commentators actually saying that that's the way he's always going to be. Likewise, he throws for 300 yards and leads a 17 point comeback in his second career start, and all many can say is "but it was against the worst pass defense in the league". You know that if that was another rookie QB they wouldn't be able to stop singing his praises. It's absurd.

Meanwhile QBs like Mallett and Locker seem to get passes even though their play is just as questionable as Tebow's at the NFL level, if not more so. I mean you have Cam Newton being projected to go in the top 10 by many despite playing a similar style, having only one good season, and having none of Tebow's intangibles. If you don't realize that Tebow is measured very differently than other QBs, I'm not sure what to say.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Fair enough. My issue is that much of the same nonsense is still being spewed about the guy, in the media and on these boards. This isn't something that only happened a year ago. There are people now harping on his accuracy because he only completed 50% of his passes, even though that is very common for rookie QBs. There are commentators actually saying that that's the way he's always going to be. Likewise, he throws for 300 yards and leads a 17 point comeback in his second career start, and all many can say is "but it was against the worst pass defense in the league". You know that if that was another rookie QB they wouldn't be able to stop singing his praises. It's absurd.

Meanwhile QBs like Mallett and Locker seem to get passes even though their play is just as questionable as Tebow's at the NFL level, if not more so. I mean you have Cam Newton being projected to go in the top 10 by many despite playing a similar style, having only one good season, and having none of Tebow's intangibles. If you don't realize that Tebow is measured very differently than other QBs, I'm not sure what to say.

/facepalm

You're just never going to get it, because you refuse to get it. It's exhausting, slamming my head against this brick wall.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
/facepalm

You're just never going to get it, because you refuse to get it. It's exhausting, slamming my head against this brick wall.

Not seeing it as you do doesn't mean "I don't get it". It means I disagree with you. They are very different things.

Requiem
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
How many times did you slam your head against the wall when Orton was replaced?

footstepsfrom#27
01-07-2011, 05:47 PM

http://terrellpryor.com/images/tp_5hih.jpg

DivineBronco
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-off-field-concerns-for-mallett/

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 07:13 PM
How many times did you slam your head against the wall when Orton was replaced?

Somewhere between none and none. Orton was injured, we were out of the playoffs, I wanted Timmah to get some experience and I wanted to see what we had there.

peacepipe
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/report-off-field-concerns-for-mallett/

I'm not a fan of mallet but who doesn't get drunk in college? it's nothing major.

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
You said he can make all the throws. The other poster said he also makes stupid throws sometimes. You refused to address that, pointing to your statement that he can make all the throws. You implied that the two are exclusive.

You can make this simple and just address his point now. What do you think of the supposed bad throws he makes?

Let me make this simple, yes all QBís including Peyton Manning makes bad throws and Mallet makes bad throws also. Does he make more than other QB's? My answer is no and I have watched almost every game Mallet has played at Arkansas. Can either of you say that? The question was "Does he make stupid throws" and my answer to that is no.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Let me make this simple, yes all QBís including Peyton Manning makes bad throws and Mallet makes bad throws also. Does he make more than other QB's? My answer is no and I have watched almost every game Mallet has played at Arkansas. Can either of you say that? The question was "Does he make stupid throws" and my answer to that is no.

I've watched two of his games and saw at least half a dozen what-the-hell throws that left me shaking my head. I guess I just caught a couple bad games. :thumbsup:

Pony Boy
01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I've watched two of his games and saw at least half a dozen what-the-hell throws that left me shaking my head. I guess I just caught a couple bad games. :thumbsup:

Right, you saw two of his games....FYI, the Razorbacks with Mallet only lost two regular season games (Alabama and Auburn) and you don't do that by making "what to hell throws". Take this for what itís worth, you need to think before you post and I'm done with you so go pester someone else.

Requiem
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Right, you saw two of his games....FYI, the Razorbacks with Mallet only lost two regular season games (Alabama and Auburn) and you don't do that by making "what to hell throws". Take this for what itís worth, you need to think before you post and I'm done with you so go pester someone else.

I would not bother with him. He uses pretty small sample sizes to make up his mind on prospects.

He took a statline from a Cougars/Beavers game where Stephen Paea had 8 tackles and 1 sack and deemed he had a great game, despite the fact that the Cougars OL dominated the Beavers DL and ran for over 200+.

As I said, don't waste your time.

Agamemnon
01-07-2011, 08:19 PM

I saw what I saw. He was brutal against Alabama (one of the games I watched). Not sure what the other game was, but I was unimpressed then as well. Clearly you're a fan. That's cool. Maybe you should keep in mind that being a fan means your objectivity is highly suspect.

Requiem
01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
That's cool. Maybe you should keep in mind that being a fan means your objectivity is highly suspect.

Using one or two games to make a poor indictment on a player is also highly suspect.

Especially when he has been one of the most efficient QB's in the NCAA the past two years throwing 62 touchdowns to 19 interceptions, better than a 3-1 ratio.

GTFO.

BroncoMan4ever
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM

i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Mallett wound up number 1 overall to Carolina simply because of their need at QB and the fact that Luck is not an option.

i wouldn't think he should go 1st round but need will make him shoot up draft boards.

also he has the physical tools and size that could make front offices drool