PDA

View Full Version : 87.7 Cecil Lammey reports Dolphins are dropping out of Harbaugh sweepstakes...

Taco John
01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Per facebook:

877 The Ticket
Our NFL Insider Cecil Lammey is reporting the #dolphins have decided to keep head coach Tony Sparano - that leaves one less team after Jim Harbaugh

montrose
01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
RT @mortreport: After meeting w Harbaugh, source says Dolphins have decided that Tony Sparano is the best man for job. Will be retained.

VicLombardi Vic Lombardi
Sounds like Harbaugh's back in play for the Broncos. Dolphins are sticking with Sparano. Saves them about 4-mill a year.

montrose
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
With Luck heading back and Stanford reportedly willing to match the $5 million San Francisco offered - I've got him going back to the Cardinal.

Tim
01-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Cool maybe we can get the guy who has had 2 winning seasons in D1 football

boppool
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Obviously, Miami could've given him a blank check. May be Harbaugh's looking for something more than money.

I hope this means we still have a shot...

Broncojef
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Obviously, Miami could've given him a blank check. May be Harbaugh's looking for something more than money.

He's not going to get more money here, the full autonomy coach/GM thing aint happenin here, we have huge talent holes on the roster. If Elway gets him here it will be on Elway's sales pitch period.

spdirty
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
ooooh the door opened a little. Bust it open john!

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
He's not going to get more money here, the full autonomy coach/GM thing aint happenin here, we have huge talent holes on the roster. If Elway gets him here it will be on Elway's sales pitch period.

We have Tebow and they don't. Harbaugh is an avowed Tebow fan.

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Harbaugh is an avowed Tebow fan.

Not sure if serious.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM

What it could mean is that Miami is willing to pay a premium to lock him up without allowing him to do due diligence.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Not sure if serious.

There was an ESPN article posted recently where Harbaugh compared him to Steve Young. Also, Harbaugh, himself, was a fairly mobile QB in college and the NFL. Not like Tebow but he probably appreciates it as a skill set.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
San Fran offered him $5 million. It will make it hard for Stanford to match it. You know why? Stanford is a lot like CU in its stupid rules in that the head football coach can't be paid more than the highest paid teacher.

I know you might ask me for a link but it was on 104.3 the FAN the other day. Big Al and Stink were like, some Chemistry teacher is about to make bank.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
San Fran offered him $5 million. It will make it hard for Stanford to match it. You know why? Stanford is a lot like CU in its stupid rules in that the head football coach can't be paid more than the highest paid teacher.

I'm not sure that's such a stupid rule. Teachers > coaches in the grand scheme of things, especially at a school like Stanford.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Not sure if serious.

I'm quite serious. Harbaugh is on record as having a very high opinion of Tebow's ability to play in the NFL. ESPN did a story in which they talked to Harbaugh about Tebow right after he got drafted. It even sounded like he watched film of him prior to the interview. The big knock against Tebow of wonky mechanics he completely dismissed, and he said he thought he would be good as long as he was allowed to play his game and not forced to conform to the traditional pocket passer mold.

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 09:51 PM
There was an ESPN article posted recently where Harbaugh compared him to Steve Young. Also, Harbaugh, himself, was a fairly mobile QB in college and the NFL. Not like Tebow but he probably appreciates it as a skill set.

Nice.

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm quite serious. Harbaugh is on record as having a very high opinion of Tebow's ability to play in the NFL. ESPN did a story in which they talked to Harbaugh about Tebow right after he got drafted. It even sounded like he watched film of him prior to the interview. The big knock against Tebow of wonky mechanics he completely dismissed, and he said he thought he would be good as long as he was allowed to play his game and not forced to conform to the traditional pocket passer mold.

Sounds perfect. My only wish for the new HC is just what Harbaugh describes; someone who isn't going to expect Tebow to be a traditional QB, and who trusts Tebow's abilities enough to design an offense around what he does best.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 09:58 PM

I know you might ask me for a link but it was on 104.3 the FAN the other day. Big Al and Stink were like, some Chemistry teacher is about to make bank.

The research those teachers oversee is expensive.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Sounds perfect. My only wish for the new HC is just what Harbaugh describes; someone who isn't going to expect Tebow to be a traditional QB, and who trusts Tebow's abilities enough to design an offense around what he does best.

Pretty much exactly what it sounded like Harbaugh would do with him. Here's the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5236931

strafen
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Who else is seriously pursuing Harbaugh?
I know we could use him, but I just don't see anything being said or done about it.

The decision of Luck going back to school may now give Harbaugh a chance as well to go back to coach Stanford for one more year.

I'd like to have him as our HC. I believe this is the best opportunity that he may ever get in a while to jump into the NFL...

HAT
01-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Or....The Dolphins are looking for something more than Harbaugh.

boppool
01-06-2011, 10:07 PM

That's why they settled for Sparano? hmmm...

Ratboy
01-06-2011, 10:07 PM
With Luck heading back and Stanford reportedly willing to match the $5 million San Francisco offered - I've got him going back to the Cardinal.

Can Luck change his mind?

If Harbaugh gets the job in Denver, he could def tell Luck he will do everything and anything to get him.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Who else is seriously pursuing Harbaugh?
I know we could use him, but I just don't see anything being said or done about it.

The decision of Luck going back to school may now give Harbaugh a chance as well to go back to coach Stanford for one more year.

I'd like to have him as our HC. I believe this is the best opportunity that he may ever get in a while to jump into the NFL...

We aren't rushing it like desperate virgin boys hoping to get a date. The way Elway is handling it has been absolutely perfect to be honest. You have to think the over-eager and amateurish way that SF and Miami are handling the situation is a bit of the reason he hasn't said yes to either. Honestly, I think he told Miami no straight to their face when they got too pushy. I mean did they just fly out to Cali and surprise the guy? The way Elway made it sound he's been too busy with stuff at Stanford to seriously get involved in interviews and negotiations just yet. Like I said, I really like the way Elway is handling the whole deal.

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 10:10 PM

rep

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Pretty sure Harbaugh rejected their offer. They flew out to Cali, and then flew right back and gave the job back to Sparano. I have this funny feeling Harbaugh just wasn't digging them.

boppool
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Pretty sure Harbaugh rejected their offer. They flew out to Cali, and then flew right back and gave the job back to Sparano. I have this funny feeling Harbaugh just wasn't digging them.

Exactly!

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM

If Harbaugh gets the job in Denver, he could def tell Luck he will do everything and anything to get him.

If Harbaugh becomes the coach, it's going to be with the intention of maximizing Tebow's potential and making him into a franchise QB. Period.

Play2win
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure that's such a stupid rule. Teachers > coaches in the grand scheme of things, especially at a school like Stanford.

This... and This.

ICON
01-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I think he used the NFL to get Stanford Or Michigan to pay him.

Play2win
Who knows... It could be a perfect storm. :)

strafen
We aren't rushing it like desperate virgin boys hoping to get a date. The way Elway is handling it has been absolutely perfect to be honest. You have to think the over-eager and amateurish way that SF and Miami are handling the situation is a bit of the reason he hasn't said yes to either. Honestly, I think he told Miami no straight to their face when they got too pushy. I mean did they just fly out to Cali and surprise the guy? The way Elway made it sound he's been too busy with stuff at Stanford to seriously get involved in interviews and negotiations just yet. Like I said, I really like the way Elway is handling the whole deal.Let's hope you're right..
I cannot overstate the importance of having a good man at the helm.
While some may argue Harbaugh doesn't have headcoaching experience at the NFL level, I would argue that his NFL experience as a player and assistant coach is what helped him become successful at Stanford.
He pretty much built a team with a lot of NFL implementation.
That's why his offense looks so pro-style and so well orchestrated.
I like it!

peacepipe
01-06-2011, 10:21 PM
It looks like it's either the Broncos or Stanford. I don't believe Michigan is in the mix but I can't discount it.

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Or their new OC BMarsh.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Let's hope you're right..
I cannot overstate the importance of having a good man at the helm.
While some may argue Harbaugh doesn't have headcoaching experience at the NFL level, I would argue that his NFL experience as a player and assistant coach is what helped him become successful at Stanford.
He pretty much built a team with a lot of NFL implementation.
That's why his offense looks so pro-style and so well orchestrated.
I like it!

I tend to agree. I'm usually a bit skeptical about college coaches in the NFL, but Harbaugh has the most NFL-like college team I've ever seen. It doesn't make the concern go away, but it certainly lessens it.

strafen
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM

If Harbaugh gets the job in Denver, he could def tell Luck he will do everything and anything to get him.We're talking dreaming land here, bud.
It ain't gonna happen, plus it sounds sleazy...

Harbaugh could work with Tebow.
I think he's the perfect match and the right coach that could untap Tebow's full potential. I see him as a coach that knows what he could do with him as his QB...

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Pretty much exactly what it sounded like Harbaugh would do with him. Here's the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5236931
Thanks; that was a good read. Bumped Harbaugh back to the top of my list actually.

However, another quarterback comes to mind when Stanford's Harbaugh watches Tebow.
"I look at Tim Tebow's throwing motion and it doesn't look that much different than Steve Young's, if you put them next to each other," said Harbaugh.
"Steve Young would drop the ball when he threw it. And he's a Hall of Fame quarterback. To me it's more important to be natural than it is to shave a tenth of a second off the time it takes to get rid of the ball."

Harbaugh said the key to Tebow's exploiting his skills as a running quarterback will be learning when to run. He'll last longer and be more effective if he's patient enough to read as many progressions as possible before high-tailing it.
"Say he only looks at one read and then runs. He can be effective that way," Harbaugh said. "[But] I don't think that's the most effective way to be a quarterback. Ideally, you want to be able to get through three reads and then, if [the open receiver is] not there," run for daylight.

I loved this from Harbaugh. Loved it.

baja
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
It looks like it's either the Broncos or Stanford. I don't believe Michigan is in the mix but I can't discount it.

someone posted there is a clause in his contract that prohibits him from taking another HC job at the college level.

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 10:36 PM
That's actually been debunked baja. (no messing around)

The current trend is he is going back to Stanford. Of course last night he was close to being a Dolphin so who knows.

strafen
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
It looks like it's either the Broncos or Stanford. I don't believe Michigan is in the mix but I can't discount it.Harbaugh going to Michigan was the first rumor that surfaced as to where he'd be going next.
That rumor seemed to have died down, but not out of the picture.
Stanford, because Luck is staying, could lure him in.

baja
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Gotta love what he said about Tebow.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
That's actually been debunked baja. (no messing around)

The current trend is he is going back to Stanford. Of course last night he was close to being a Dolphin so who knows.

Lots of people have been making reports of absolute certainty about the guy and not a one of them has come true. Meanwhile the Broncos remain a footnote that people are barely mentioning at all. I like the way this is going.

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I tend to agree. I'm usually a bit skeptical about college coaches in the NFL, but Harbaugh has the most NFL-like college team I've ever seen. It doesn't make the concern go away, but it certainly lessens it.
I am as well, but I see Harbaugh more as an NFL style coach. I can just see him there. He's very different to me than a Spurrier or a Saban. I think he went to the college ranks to grow his HC legs quicker than he could in the NFL.

The fact that he has NFL coaching experience helps ease my concern a little. The fact that his brother has been successful in the NFL helps a little more. The fact that his college teams are built on a philosophy that successful NFL teams use helps even more. The fact that it's an old school Broncos typr philosophy helps more.

The fact that he thinks highly of Tebow and could be a great aid to his development helps more than anything.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I am as well, but I see Harbaugh more as an NFL style coach. I can just see him there. He's very different to me than a Spurrier or a Saban. I think he went to the college ranks to grow his HC legs quicker than he could in the NFL.

The fact that he has NFL coaching experience helps ease my concern a little. The fact that his brother has been successful in the NFL helps a little more. The fact that his college teams are built on a philosophy that successful NFL teams use helps even more. The fact that it's an old school Broncos typr philosophy helps more.

The fact that he thinks highly of Tebow and could be a great aid to his development helps more than anything.

Harbaugh really does feel like the perfect fit when I start thinking about it. I honestly can't think of a better choice. The guy just oozes what the Broncos are all about (at least what they used to be about).

serious hops
01-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Who wants Luck for a year when you can have Tebow for a decade-plus?

:strong:

strafen
01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Harbaugh really does feel like the perfect fit when I start thinking about it. I honestly can't think of a better choice. The guy just oozes what the Broncos are all about (at least what they used to be about).

When you see the pool of coaches we've got to choose from, picking Harbaugh looks like a no-brainer

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 11:02 PM

I really hope Harbaugh feels likewise.

doonwise
01-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Why is Harbaugh so amazing? I don't really follow college ball much, but he hasn't won that much at Stanford (29 wins 21 losses w/ 1 bowl loss and 1 bowl win). Is this the cream of the crop?? I just don't see why everyone is all slobberknockers over this guy...

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Why is Harbaugh so amazing? I don't really follow college ball much, but he hasn't won that much at Stanford (29 wins 21 losses w/ 1 bowl loss and 1 bowl win). Is this the cream of the crop?? I just don't see why everyone is all slobberknockers over this guy...

Do you know how many wins Stanford had the year before he got there?

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 11:12 PM

He coaches Stanford. Apparently you don't understand what kind of accomplishment making that program elite really is. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Football

extralife
01-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I think he wants to play this out with Luck, shoot for a title in college, and then try to package himself with Luck to whoever has the number 1 after this whole labor thing is sorted out. That's the only reasonable explanation for him turning down the Dolphin's ludicrous offer and San Fran's nearly as stupid one. Those are decent teams in great cities with nice traditions throwing a **** load of money at him.

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Harbaugh is my top choice

People look at the rumored invitees nothing awesome imo so Harbaugh is the prize if we lose out we move on.

strafen
01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Harbaugh is my top choice

People look at the rumored invitees nothing awesome imo so Harbaugh is the prize if we lose out we move on.That's what I'm saying.

Archedamian
01-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I think part of the problem might be the fact that the Dolphins forgot to interview a minority HC candidate.

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I think part of the problem might be the fact that the Dolphins forgot to interview a minority HC candidate.

I also think it would be classy to fire the HC first before you reach out to Harbaugh.

doonwise
01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
He coaches Stanford. Apparently you don't understand what kind of accomplishment making that program elite really is. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Football

Thanks, that was kind of useful. I didn't realize Jack Elway coached Stanford. Nor did I realize Bill Walsh coached there (34-24).

Mr. Elway
01-07-2011, 07:31 AM
I heard the real reason it fell through is that Stephen Ross called him "Mark."

TonyR
01-07-2011, 08:12 AM
For those excited about the prospect of Denver landing Harbaugh, doesn't it bother you at least a little bit that he interviewed with Miami and San Fran but still hasn't officially sat down with the Broncos?

Steve Sewell
01-07-2011, 08:21 AM
For those excited about the prospect of Denver landing Harbaugh, doesn't it bother you at least a little bit that he interviewed with Miami and San Fran but still hasn't officially sat down with the Broncos?

If I were a prospective head coach with options I would be very, VERY concerned with the structure of the front office from an outside perspective. There seems to be a lack of institutional control in addition to "fly by the seat of your pants" decision making over the past few years.

One of the reasons the Denver job was one of the most attractive in all of football after Shanahan was fired was because it was looked at as a stable organization with a QB of the future and some high powered offensive talent. Fast forward to this point and there's a QB that many people in the league are torn on, a newly minted GM with a background in number crunching rather than player eval, and probably worst of all...a completely inexperienced VP of Football Ops who just happens to be the greatest player to ever don a Broncos uniform.

If I were a big name coach with options, I wouldn't touch Denver with a 10 foot pole.

I'm just playing devil's advocate BTW. I have a lot of faith in Elway, Tebow and the gang. I just think we have 0% chance at a big name coach, and maybe thats the best thing for the organization. I just wanted to point out that many people who are outside the Broncos organization are scratching their heads at the whole situation, and rightly so.

TonyR
01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Montrose just posted the below. Klis reporting that Harbaugh has no interest in the Denver job. Get ready for a bumpy ride, folks. I think the Oakland Raiders job is now more attractive.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96255

montrose
01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Montrose just posted the below. Klis reporting that Harbaugh has no interest in the Denver job. Get ready for a bumpy ride, folks. I think the Oakland Raiders job is now more attractive.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96255

The way's it's written is the Broncos weren't interested in him (but that could just be spin).

TonyR
01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
The way's it's written is the Broncos weren't interested in him (but that could just be spin).

That kind of is the spin but read it again:

John Elway, the Broncos' new football operations boss, did let Harbaugh know earlier in the week that he was interested. But the Stanford coach seemed to show only backburner interest in the Broncos as he met first with the San Francisco 49ers, then the Miami Dolphins and Stanford officials.

Read more: Broncos' interest in Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh has cooled - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17034613#ixzz1AMhkBEL8

Clearly, IMO, the Broncos made a move to formally interview him (as reported last evening) and found out that he really wasn't interested. So now of course they're not interested.

montrose
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
That kind of is the spin but read it again:

John Elway, the Broncos' new football operations boss, did let Harbaugh know earlier in the week that he was interested. But the Stanford coach seemed to show only backburner interest in the Broncos as he met first with the San Francisco 49ers, then the Miami Dolphins and Stanford officials.

Read more: Broncos' interest in Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh has cooled - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17034613#ixzz1AMhkBEL8

Clearly, IMO, the Broncos made a move to formally interview him (as reported last evening) and found out that he really wasn't interested. So now of course they're not interested.

Yeah that's true - Elway just said Harbaugh looks to be staying in college at either Stanford or Michigan's back in the picture.

baja
01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
If I were a prospective head coach with options I would be very, VERY concerned with the structure of the front office from an outside perspective. There seems to be a lack of institutional control in addition to "fly by the seat of your pants" decision making over the past few years.

One of the reasons the Denver job was one of the most attractive in all of football after Shanahan was fired was because it was looked at as a stable organization with a QB of the future and some high powered offensive talent. Fast forward to this point and there's a QB that many people in the league are torn on, a newly minted GM with a background in number crunching rather than player eval, and probably worst of all...a completely inexperienced VP of Football Ops who just happens to be the greatest player to ever don a Broncos uniform.

If I were a big name coach with options, I wouldn't touch Denver with a 10 foot pole.

I'm just playing devil's advocate BTW. I have a lot of faith in Elway, Tebow and the gang. I just think we have 0% chance at a big name coach, and maybe thats the best thing for the organization. I just wanted to point out that many people who are outside the Broncos organization are scratching their heads at the whole situation, and rightly so.

You nailed it, all of it.

I think we end up with a HC that initially many will be disappointed with but will prove to be just the ticket. The thing is there has been a power shift away from the all powerful HC to three headed decision maker in the FO, what did Elway call it a three legged stool. I hope we can attract quality position coaches that will be the key to success under the current structure. That is why I think Dennison is a good fit, if not him than someone like him. Someone that is more of a manager that is good at delegating responsibility. Hopefully good position coaches will see Denver as a good career move because there is no dynamic figure in the HC position and as a result they will get more credit (and control) for the part of the team they are responsible for be it OC DC or ST

tsiguy96
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM

100% not true

bronco militia
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Yo
That is why I think Dennison is a good fit

I agree....

THE719!
01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
haha how do you think Tony Sparano is feeling right now? If I were him I would say **** off and go else were

Jesterhole
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM

If you think about a school like a buisness (which it is), then the rule is stupid.