PDA

View Full Version : Broncos already put a price tag on Kyle Orton?

oubronco
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
According to Mike Klis of the Denverpost.com, the Denver Broncos have already put a price tag on QB Kyle Orton. A second-round pick in the 2011 draft. This is kind of a strange move by a team which doesn’t have a head coach.

Obviously the Broncos believe that Tim Tebow is going to be the future in Denver at quarterback, after all they have invested a low first-round selection in him. Tebow did not look bad on the field in limited action. However, Orton was not horrible on the field this season, and he had to generate the bulk of the offense for the Broncos early on this season when Denver was unable to run the ball at all.

Given Tebow’s style of play, the Broncos are going to need an experienced back-up. Remember Tebow’s chest injury in the pre-season? The Broncos do still have Brady Quinn on the roster as well, but a new coach might want to go another direction.

Orton might be a good fit for a team which drafts a quarterback and wants someone to start in 2011. That might be a team like the Seattle Seahawks, the Arizona Cardinals, possibly even the Washington Redskins or depending on what happens in Tennessee, he might be a fit for the Titans.

The only drawback in a trade would be Orton’s salary for 2011. There is always the possibility that Orton would be willing to work out a longer term deal with a club such as the Titans which might want him to simply be their starting quarterback and not a mentor for a younger player.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/broncos_already_put_a_price_tag_on_kyle_orton/3903032

tsiguy96
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM
the broncos have depth in areas such as WR and QB, but not much else. trade your areas of depth to try and attain quality starters across the board, then build depth from there.

extralife
01-06-2011, 07:24 PM
3 seconds in this draft would really sound good right about now. I'm a little doubtful we'll get one, but if McD goes to Minnesota you know they'll have talked to him about that possibility. It'd work out for them, I think.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm... skeptical.

Will wait for confirmation from something other than a blog.

baja
01-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I doubt McD would want Orton. He was a stop gap. He might take Quinn though

listopencil
01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
The blog you quoted is based on an article by Mike Klis of the Denver post.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17002942

I just want to point out that:

1) Denver media is, in general, crap.
2) The Denver Post is garbage.
3) Mike Klis is a hack.
4) The article is pure conjecture. No more valid than any of our posts here on the Mane.

listopencil
01-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that the blog is entirely based on one paragraph of Mike Kilis' article:

"Tebow was almost the anti-Orton in his final three games: hardly pretty between the 20s, but his running ability helped him play well in the red zone and in the fourth quarter. Tebow will be the Broncos' starting quarterback in 2011. Orton is too good to play backup, so he will likely be traded. The Broncos will ask for a second-round draft pick."

tsiguy96
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I doubt McD would want Orton. He was a stop gap. He might take Quinn though

viclombardi said he doesnt see mcd ever trading for orton

listopencil
01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
viclombardi said he doesnt see mcd ever trading for orton twice

fyp.

TonyR
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Why all the repetition lately? This is from two days ago for crying out loud:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96160

PRBronco
01-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Beat me to it, but mine was going to have swears. Come on people.

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 08:00 PM
The blog you quoted is based on an article by Mike Klis of the Denver post.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17002942

I just want to point out that:

1) Denver media is, in general, crap.
2) The Denver Post is garbage.
3) Mike Klis is a hack.
4) The article is pure conjecture. No more valid than any of our posts here on the Mane.

Lindsay Jones provides very unbiased and accurate information. The paper is crap, but she is good.

montrose
01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Three 2nd rounders would be nice.

ColoradoDarin
01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Beat me to it, but mine was going to have swears. Come on people.

I was going to do the Dumb & Dumber "We landed on the moon!"

serious hops
01-06-2011, 08:09 PM
He might take Quinn though

He can have both of them-- cheap.

Tombstone RJ
01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
By the Broncos saying Orton can be had for a 2nd round pick, they have let the world know a few things: 1. the coach has no say, 2. Tebow is the future, 3. if you don't want to poney up, Orton will just ride the bench

I like it. This alone clearly demonstrates that things have changed in Dove Valley (Xman calling the shots).

edog24
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
With so many desperate teams out there I think the asking price is reasonable. I say combine Orton and our #2, move down a bit for a few 2nd's either this year or next.

listopencil
01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
By the Broncos saying Orton can be had for a 2nd round pick, they have let the world know a few things: 1. the coach has no say, 2. Tebow is the future, 3. if you don't want to poney up, Orton will just ride the bench

I like it. This alone clearly demonstrates that things have changed in Dove Valley (Xman calling the shots).

Yeah, that's great but The Broncos didn't say that. Mike Klis wrote that in an editorial sports piece for the Denver Post.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Orton doesn't want to be a backup here, and there's absolutely no reason to try and force him for one season. We just need to get whatever we can for him and move on.

Bigdawg26
01-06-2011, 08:37 PM
If we can get a 2nd rounder for him that would be awesome!

Hamrob
01-06-2011, 08:49 PM
3rd rounder maybe...4th most likely!

broncosteven
01-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Is that the thread that contains the MVP meltdown about Denver fans being the worst in the world?

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
A 2nd rounder isn't too much to ask, Orton can be a solid starter for a team like the Vikes with a good O-line and tremendous RB. Same in San Fran. Somewhere like Carolina he's have a disaster though.

Tim
01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
If this is true I guess we'll see kyle in a denver uniform making multi-millions riding the pine. 2nd rounder for a backup is a joke

HAT
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
A 2nd rounder isn't too much to ask, Orton can be a solid starter for a team like the Vikes with a good O-line and tremendous RB. Same in San Fran. Somewhere like Carolina he's have a disaster though.

Well, since this is like the 4th Orton for a 2nd thread...I may as well post.

Had McD not been fired and an injury free Orton maintained his 12 game pace...A late late FIRST may have been possible....

Had an injury free Orton continued to start after McD's canning, a mid second would have been reasonable.....

As it happened up until week 17, I think a 3rd was fair...

Now that VY has been sent packing and Luck is going back to banging co-eds....I think it's going to be a 2011 3rd and a 2012 conditional ranging from a 3rd to a 5th.

HAT
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
If this is true I guess we'll see kyle in a denver uniform making multi-millions riding the pine. 2nd rounder for a backup is a joke

Correct. Nobody is giving Denver **** for Orton to be #2.

Luckily for us, a team will be interested in trading for Orton the starter.

Tim
01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Correct. Nobody is giving Denver **** for Orton to be #2.

Luckily for us, a team will be interested in trading for Orton the starter.

We'll see, I don't think theres anymore teams like arizona who want to pull off a derek anderson this year.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
We'll see, I don't think theres anymore teams like arizona who want to pull off a derek anderson this year.

As little as I think of Orton he's worlds better than Derek Anderson...

Jesterhole
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I think a conditional 3-5 based on play would be nice. I trust Orton could earn us a 3. A 2nd is a dream, but you gotta start high...

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I think a conditional 3-5 based on play would be nice. I trust Orton could earn us a 3. A 2nd is a dream, but you gotta start high...

I don't see a reason we should settle for a conditional pick in next year's draft. The guy is worth a 3rd this year at a minimum.

Jesterhole
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't see a reason we should settle for a conditional pick in next year's draft. The guy is worth a 3rd this year at a minimum.

Maybe. Still, I don't see a lot of player movement without a CBA, and there won't be any urgency to overpay for someone.

HAT
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
As little as I think of Orton he's worlds better than Derek Anderson...

Not only that...But that very team may be interested (AZ)

I think it was B'man13 who stated that Orton is not "an elite" NFL'er. I argued that he's not an elite QB but a top 10-15 QB is certainly an elite NFL'er.

Orton's stock certainly fell with the KC/AZ games and subsequent 'benching' but all it takes is one team to realize that he was hurt and that Tebow was always going to be the future.

Orton is nobody's QBOTF but nor is he going to be relegated to a career back up. He will spend his late 20's and young 30's as a career stop gap and there will always be a market for those.

HAT
01-06-2011, 09:54 PM

You guys are both right.....3rd this year + a conditional 3-5 next. :wave:

Boss Man
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
you never know what we could get for him, we could very well get a second...if you will remember the seahawks gave up a 2nd rounder for Charlie I Suck Whitehurst...it just takes one team to make it happen.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
A 2nd's fair for Orton.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Maybe. Still, I don't see a lot of player movement without a CBA, and there won't be any urgency to overpay for someone.

Many of the debates on this board (draft, trades, and FA) are operating on the assumption that a CBA will get done. If not, then everything changes.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
You guys are both right.....3rd this year + a conditional 3-5 next. :wave:

I could live with that. In fact that seems like perfect value to me.

TonyR
01-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Is that the thread that contains the MVP meltdown about Denver fans being the worst in the world?

I don't think so. But what happened to him? Banned?

listopencil
01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Just something that I noticed while listening to the Elway presser again, Elway talking about Orton:

"...(Kyle) finished the year with a rib injury, and had a couple of poor performances before that..."

Elway is saying that Orton's poor play was not due to injury. Just something I wondered about during the season.

Gcver2ver3
01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Just something that I noticed while listening to the Elway presser again, Elway talking about Orton:

"...(Kyle) finished the year with a rib injury, and had a couple of poor performances before that..."

Elway is saying that Orton's poor play was not due to injury. Just something I wondered about during the season.

interesting...

i love elway's honesty...

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2011, 10:09 AM

That's not how I read it at all. To read it the way you did assumes that he got the rib injury in his very last outing. That's not what happened.

DrFate
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd like to know why people state with emphasis that there is no way Mcdaniels would want to re-unite with Orton. We were told time and again that Orton was the hand-picked guy, that McDaniels made the deal with the Bears (instead of the Skins and others) because Orton was part of the deal.

Did he want Orton and then didn't want Orton? I thought McDaniels was a genius with QBs?

TonyR
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
We were told time and again that Orton was the hand-picked guy, that McDaniels made the deal with the Bears (instead of the Skins and others) because Orton was part of the deal.

He wanted Orton more than Campbell. I think it's as simple as that. And if the rumors are true that he tried to move Orton before the season I think it's fairly clear he wasn't tied to him, particularly when you factor in the Quinn and Tebow moves.

DrFate
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
He wanted Orton more than Campbell. I think it's as simple as that. And if the rumors are true that he tried to move Orton before the season I think it's fairly clear he wasn't tied to him, particularly when you factor in the Quinn and Tebow moves.

Maybe it was just PR, but I remember pretty clearly that when the deal was done McDaniels and Co. were all about how Orton was a major reason the deal was made with the Bears.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd like to know why people state with emphasis that there is no way Mcdaniels would want to re-unite with Orton. We were told time and again that Orton was the hand-picked guy, that McDaniels made the deal with the Bears (instead of the Skins and others) because Orton was part of the deal.

Did he want Orton and then didn't want Orton? I thought McDaniels was a genius with QBs?

He also extended Orton's contract in training camp. And if the FO currently in place is to be believed, it was McDaniels doing that, not Xanders or Bowlen, since he apparently had 1000% control over everything.

Mostly it depends on where McDaniels lands. If they already have a proven commodity in place at the position, he probably wouldn't make a move for Orton. But if not...

listopencil
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
That's not how I read it at all. To read it the way you did assumes that he got the rib injury in his very last outing. That's not what happened.

Yeah, I see what you mean. He could have meant that Orton finished the year unable to play because of a rib injury, and had a couple of poor performances before that, due to the rib injury. Seems like he would have said it that way though.