PDA

View Full Version : Josh to Vikes as OC?

SpringStein
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/report-josh-mcdaniels-to-meet-with-vikings/

Kyle Orton?

Rohirrim
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
How about that #43 pick for Orton?

bendog
01-06-2011, 05:00 PM
he's gonna love the qb situation.

LRtagger
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Funny if he winds up in Cutler's division

Dr. Broncenstein
01-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I seriously doubt Adrian Peterson can grasp McD's offense. Probably need to get rid of him along with Rice, who is obviously a head case. The quarterback situation is concerning, but could be easily solidified with the addition of Orton and Quinn.

Pony Boy
01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Great place for a hoddie...

Taco John
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Nobuddys done smart enough to recon with Jorsh McDannels Offensuv sistem.

bendog
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Great place for a hoddie...

They may be playing outside next year.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
he's gonna love the qb situation.

Just like his arrival in Denver, he's got a bunch of untalented QBs to trade for useful pieces.

baja
01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Sure is a lot of interest in the worse coach ever huh Bronco fans?

Obviously the GMs around the league don't read the Mane.

Pony Boy
01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
It would be wise for him to take Orton where ever he ends up.

Hamrob
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Smart move on his part. It will be interesting to see what he does or can do with Webb. You've got to believe that Frazier is looking for a QB guru to work with his you talented athelete that happens to play the QB position.

I hated what McD was doing for this team...but, he's a smart guy...if, he learns from his mistake...he's got a chance.

Taco John
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM

They should.

bendog
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Just like his arrival in Denver, he's got a bunch of untalented QBs to trade for useful pieces.

funny stuff.

cutthemdown
01-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Funny how people say Mcd a dummy but then love Tebow. If Tebow turns out to be a winner then Mcd is vindicated. What great work it would be to snag a franchise QB by trading down in the first round and getting a free pick.

Oh wait if that move works out Xanders will say that was his one move the rest he was against.

Keeping Xanders is a joke and IMO.

listopencil
01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
How about that #43 pick for Orton?

Pull the trigger, John.

Garcia Bronco
01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Gotta give his agent credit for spreading these bull**** rumors.

Taco John
01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Funny how people say Mcd a dummy but then love Tebow. If Tebow turns out to be a winner then Mcd is vindicated. What great work it would be to snag a franchise QB by trading down in the first round and getting a free pick.

Oh wait if that move works out Xanders will say that was his one move the rest he was against.

Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe didn't make Wade Phillips any better a head coach in the retrospective. They just made for really good picks.

Likwid Kerruj
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe he can convince them to take Orton off the Broncos hands.

Killericon
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I hope this happens. I'd love to see McDaniels succeed in Minnesota. In the NFC.

boppool
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Better yet, how about Brady Quinn for a second rounder? He sure is high on that guy.

mr007
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Ummmm yeah it's called being an OC and not a head coach/GM.

Gutless Drunk
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
I hope Adrian Peterson hits on his wife

baja
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Ummmm yeah it's called being an OC and not a head coach/GM.

True but the reaction around here is like he brought the bubonic plague to denver.

baja
01-06-2011, 05:49 PM

OK I gotta ask what it this persistent story about Hillis and McD's wife. Is this a OM running joke??

frerottenextelway
01-06-2011, 05:53 PM

That.

TheProfessor
01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Exactly... though I do think he will get an OC job eventually.

SoDak Bronco
01-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Brady Quinn for Toby Gerhart..dumb white running backs don't know anything.

bronco militia
01-06-2011, 06:37 PM

http://bp0.blogger.com/_-KrcV2IhOYM/SJKRzSp_nhI/AAAAAAAAAi4/hulBLxk_mqw/s400/mandingo.jpg

broncosteven
01-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe didn't make Wade Phillips any better a head coach in the retrospective. They just made for really good picks.

Rod was a UDFA in 1995, and Sharpe was drafted in 1990, not sure what the point is dude.

tsiguy96
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
OK I gotta ask what it this persistent story about Hillis and McD's wife. Is this a OM running joke??

false rumor spread by a radio station in town, that turned out to be 100% false and honestly pretty offensive to both sides.

Missouribronc
01-06-2011, 07:33 PM

He's the best offensive coordinator candidate out there.

I'm just amazed people are still in such denial.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
True but the reaction around here is like he brought the bubonic plague to denver.

Bubonic plague just needs some antibiotics. I wish what McD has done to this team was so easy to cure...

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Hell they can have Orton for Gerhart...

serious hops
01-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I seriously doubt Adrian Peterson can grasp McD's offense. Probably need to get rid of him along with Rice, who is obviously a head case. The quarterback situation is concerning, but could be easily solidified with the addition of Orton and Quinn.

Good call. AD definitely cannot break off 2K in that system.

Lev Vyvanse
01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
As a OC Josh is a home run.

broncosteven
01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Bubonic plague just needs some antibiotics. I wish what McD has done to this team was so easy to cure...

Worst record in 40+ years. 2nd worst team in the NFL. It is not like we were 8-8 and a couple moves away from the playoffs.

Play2win
01-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Especially ones that went to Stanford Ha!

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
As a OC Josh is a home run.

If you have Tom Brady...

Lev Vyvanse
01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
If you have Tom Brady...

Or Cassel, and Orton.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Or Cassel, and Orton.

I think we have very different definitions of "home run".

Lev Vyvanse
01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I think we have very different definitions of "home run".

Do you think Orton or Cassel are good QBs?

Requiem
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Please let this be true. I'm a spit away from Minneapolis and already plan on going to the game when Denver travels there next year. **** yeah. :)

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
If McD goes to the Vikes, maybe we can pull the trade I'm really, really hoping for:

Orton for Gerhart and a 4th rounder!

C'mon MCD!!! Make it happen you crazy fool!!!

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Do you think Orton or Cassel are good QBs?

I think they are the definition of mediocre QBs that need a great team to excel.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM

No he's not. That ship sailed when he didn't play Tebow.

strafen
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Keeping Xanders is a joke and IMO.Well, the way I look at it is that he owed us a QBOTF.
That however, would not vindicate McDaniels in any way shape or form...

HAT
01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
No he's not. That ship sailed when he didn't play Tebow.

I can't decide which POV is dumber.....Every dumbass on the 'Mane speculating that McD will want Orton wherever he ends up or people thinking that he didn't start Tebow b/c he was stupid?

They are tied together people....I'm dumbfounded that only baja and I get this.

Josh took Orton as the 'throw in' b/c he knew he was the best & smartest 'win now while we're rebuilding' option.

Josh drafted Tebow b/c he was certain he is a franchise QB.

Josh didn't play Tebow b/c Orton was on is way to Hawaii pre-injury.

If McD ends up as Minny's OC they will absolutely win the NFCC with Webb as their QB.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I can't decide which POV is dumber.....Every dumbass on the 'Mane speculating that McD will want Orton wherever he ends up or people thinking that he didn't start Tebow b/c he was stupid?

Josh took Orton as the 'throw in' b/c he knew he was the best & smartest 'win now while we're rebuilding' option.

If McD ends up as Minny's OC they will absolutely win the NFCC with Webb as their QB.

I honestly dont care what you dont understand or what you think is stupid.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Orton is the best option for any team without an established starter that hires McD as an OC. Period. The guy knows the offense, and would provide an immediate boost at QB for a team like Minnesota. He wouldn't be acquired as the long-term starter. They might draft a guy like Locker or Newton. That said, he would provide stability as the rest of the team learns McD's overly complex offense.

Joe Webb will struggle like a mofo in McD's offense. Orton is a much better bet for a team with the Vikings roster. They need an efficient game manager to compliment AP and the defense, not a guy like Joe Webb, at least not next year.

jx028
01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
though he is not a good head coach , but i think he will done well as a o coordinator, this position fit for him

HAT
01-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Orton is the best option for any team without an established starter that hires McD as an OC. Period.

I don't disagree with this at all. My comment was geared more toward people who think that McD himself will be pining for Orton.

He won't, but if he ends up as an OC somewhere with no say in the matter....Of course they will make it work.

strafen
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
though he is not a good head coach , but i think he will done well as a o coordinator, this position fit for him

NFL Wholesale Jersey (http://www.nflwholesalejersey.com/)
NFL Jerseys China Free Shipping (http://www.retailjerseychina.com/)

Spammer alert! :wave:

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't disagree with this at all. My comment was geared more toward people who think that McD himself will be pining for Orton.

He won't, but if he ends up as an OC somewhere with no say in the matter....Of course they will make it work.

He won't pine for him. He will likely tell the FO people that Orton is the best option available to help them transition to his offense.

HAT
01-06-2011, 10:35 PM
He won't pine for him. He will likely tell the FO people that Orton is the best option available to help them transition to his offense.

We'll just agree to disagree then....McD wasn't looking for Orton to transition anything.

Depending on what you believe, he was either actively pursuing Cassel from day one or another team started a rumor and Jay got butt hurt...I personally believe that he would've been more than willing to work with a young and talented QB like Cutler if the willingness was mutual (read:coachable).

**** went south from ownership on down (Luckily). Only then did McD decide he's rather have the Bears package + Orton vs. The 'Skins package plus Campbell. That decision was made purely in the film room with only 3 months consideration.

I love myself some Neckbeard but there's not a doubt in my mind that McD would rather go all in as an OC with a youngster at QB for better or worse.

Orton is a good fit in Minny and Arizona as a stop gap if they want to develop Webb & Skelton/Hall respectively....But if McD lands at either, it won't happen.

Bronco Yoda
01-06-2011, 10:41 PM

You didn't see the pictures yet? I think tsiguy96 had them last.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
We'll just agree to disagree then....McD wasn't looking for Orton to transition anything.

Depending on what you believe, he was either actively pursuing Cassel from day one or another team started a rumor and Jay got butt hurt...I personally believe that he would've been more than willing to work with a young and talented QB like Cutler if the willingness was mutual (read:coachable).

**** went south from ownership on down (Luckily). Only then did McD decide he's rather have the Bears package + Orton vs. The 'Skins package plus Campbell. That decision was made purely in the film room with only 3 months consideration.

I love myself some Neckbeard but there's not a doubt in my mind that McD would rather go all in as an OC with a youngster at QB for better or worse.

Orton is a good fit in Minny and Arizona as a stop gap if they want to develop Webb & Skelton/Hall respectively....But if McD lands at either, it won't happen.

He wasn't looking for Orton originally. Orton knows his offense now though. It's a completely different situation.

HAT
01-06-2011, 10:42 PM

I hate quoting myself but it seems easier than adding to this original train of thought....

IF he doesn't go all in with a youngster....I could also see him wanting to work with a not quite reclamation project. Ala Orton but not Orton himself.

That's what he's hanging his hat on at the moment and it's his path of least resistance back to a HC gig.

Cassell
Orton
Tebow (And you're nuts if you don't think McD is semi responsible for Tebow)
???

HAT
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
He wasn't looking for Orton originally. Orton knows his offense now though. It's a completely different situation.

I totally understand how people want to connect the dots this way....

McD supposedly wanted Cassel b/c 'he knew the system'....Therefore, he will want Orton for the same reason.

I just don't agree with that rationale. Whether he pursued Cassel or not doesn't even matter to me.

His best shot at redemption is taking another QB that everyone has written off or barely heard of and making him top 10. Not making Orton a 4000-ish 2-1 TD/INT ratio guy for 3 years running.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I hate quoting myself but it seems easier than adding to this original train of thought....

IF he doesn't go all in with a youngster....I could also see him wanting to work with a not quite reclamation project. Ala Orton but not Orton himself.

That's what he's hanging his hat on at the moment and it's his path of least resistance back to a HC gig.

Cassell
Orton
Tebow (And you're nuts if you don't think McD is semi responsible for Tebow)
???

I just don't get your logic. His best option for a transitional QB is Orton. There is no question about it. If the Vikings don't draft a QB, Orton is a must with McD as the OC. Otherwise they are going to seriously struggle in every phase offensively. This is the problem with McD as an OC. His system is too complex for any QB to master it in one season.

If they draft a QB, that QB is going to struggle mightily in McD's system if he's asked to start immediately. Again, Orton is the best answer here (though Orton might not be so wild about the idea). Likewise Joe Webb is going to be awful early in McD's system. If McD has any barins, he asks for the Vikes to grab Orton so his offense isn't in complete disarray for half of the season.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I totally understand how people want to connect the dots this way....

McD supposedly wanted Cassel b/c 'he knew the system'....Therefore, he will want Orton for the same reason.

I just don't agree with that rationale. Whether he pursued Cassel or not doesn't even matter to me.

His best shot at redemption is taking another QB that everyone has written off or barely heard of and making him top 10. Not making Orton a 4000-ish 2-1 TD/INT ratio guy for 3 years running.

So your argument is that he'll want to develop yet another QB rather than run an efficient offense? Okay...

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
So your argument is that he'll want to develop yet another QB rather than run an efficient offense? Okay...

Not only that but it wont likely be up to josh. This whole vindication angle may mean something to josh but the front office will likely want something thats a little more known.

HAT
01-06-2011, 10:59 PM

A) I'm discussing, not arguing.

B) If he lands as an OC somewhere (as in the thread title) it won't be his decision to make.

C) I never said it was an either/or equation.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 11:05 PM
A) I'm discussing, not arguing.

B) If he lands as an OC somewhere (as in the thread title) it won't be his decision to make.

C) I never said it was an either/or equation.

A) You are, by definition, arguing. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argument

B) This is true.

C) But it is. A young, inexperienced QB on an offense that is learning the system as well, is going to be less efficient than Orton. Period.

Bronco Yoda
01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
He's the best offensive coordinator candidate out there.

I'm just amazed people are still in such denial.

Denial about what? I don't recall anyone saying he's not good at OC.

HAT
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Denial about what? I don't recall anyone saying he's not good at OC.

I'm getting ready to sack out but if one had the inclination and 15 extra minutes to peruse the search function, they could link dozens of posts where many made that claim.

Providing the search function is working that is. It's hit or miss.

Taco John
01-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I think Josh McDaniels is a good OC when he's got an adult at the table reigning him in. I think his pass happy, bubble screen, travesty of a spread-offense was a joke.

I'm going to be curious to see how Knowshon Moreno responds when a coach comes in who understands that you need a strong running game to balance a below-par defense. You think he can actually bust off 100 yard games at a regular clip?

I guess we'll see.

HAT
01-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I think Josh McDaniels is a good OC when he's got an adult at the table reigning him in. I think his pass happy, bubble screen, travesty of a spread-offense was a joke.

I'm going to be curious to see how Knowshon Moreno responds when a coach comes in who understands that you need a strong running game to balance a below-par defense. You think he can actually bust off 100 yard games at a regular clip?

I guess we'll see.

That's a great point and a huge concern of mine. It's pretty much a given that said new coach will work with his current QB's and WR's. Like alot of people here, I would love a speed back in the 3rd or 4th (yes, I know they currently don't own a 4th) to compliment Moreno but if Denver goes after an 'offensive' HC they made need to throw him a bone and let him sway a skill position draft choice.

I hope that becomes less of a need if they grab PP at #2 (ST-wise). I won't be crushed if they go speedy RB or TE in the late rounds....I just hope they don't let a new HC sway them into grabbing a similar RB to Moreno with that extra second b/c it's a "luxury" pick.

TonyR
01-11-2011, 07:48 AM
If Shurmur goes to Cleveland, McDaniels may go to St. Louis
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 10, 2011, 7:57 PM EST

Former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thought he’d spend the next few years tutoring 2010 first-round draft pick Tim Tebow. Instead he may end up tutoring first overall pick Sam Bradford.

With coaches around the league changing jobs, one particular coaching move could result in McDaniels becoming the offensive coordinator in St. Louis, where Bradford would run his offense.

We previously noted that Pat Shurmur, the current Rams offensive coordinator, is believed to be the favorite to get the head-coaching job in Cleveland. Jason La Canfora of NFL Network tweets that that’s what many expect, and if that were to happen McDaniels would be likely to replace Shurmur.

McDaniels is also a candidate to become the next offensive coordinator in Minnesota, although it appears that St. Louis is a more likely destination — at least if that job becomes open.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/10/if-shurmur-goes-to-cleveland-mcdaniels-may-go-to-st-louis/

montrose
01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Vikings would get a players' coach in Josh McDaniels, Broncos' Ryan Harris says
By Charley Walters

Josh McDaniels, who has talked to the Minnesota Vikings about their offensive coordinator job, has a fan in Ryan Harris.

Harris, the Cretin-Derham Hall and Notre Dame grad, started 10 games at right offensive tackle this season for the Denver Broncos, who were coached by McDaniels until his late-season firing.

"He's a young (34), very passionate guy," Harris, 25, said. "He's a players' guy; players want to play for him. And as a player, that's all you can ask for.

"He's tough, too. He's going to make sure his offense is the toughest team on the field. And he's got a lot of experience at winning. He won a lot of New England."

At New England, McDaniels was quarterbacks coach for two seasons, then became offensive coordinator/QB coach for three seasons before leaving for Denver.

During almost two seasons as Broncos head coach, McDaniels' teams were 11-17.

— If McDaniels ends up with the Vikings, don't be surprised if he tries to bring quarterback Kyle Orton with him.

"Kyle Orton is as great a guy and football player as you'll find in the NFL," Harris said. "All the guys — offense, defense and special teams — respect Kyle Orton. He's our captain."

— Forget any speculation about the Broncos giving up QB Tim Tebow, who is a big fan favorite in Denver.

"Tim Tebow plays hard," Harris said. "Being around him and playing with him, you definitely can tell why he was so successful in college (Heisman Trophy winner at Florida).

He's got a lot of big things coming up for him. He's going to be a successful quarterback."

— The 6-foot-5, 305-pound Harris has been with the Broncos for four seasons and, depending on the NFL's labor status, could become a free agent in March. He is a big Vikings fan.

"I'm a hometown kid, grew up going to Vikings games," Harris said. "I learned how to play from those guys. We'll see what happens."

The Broncos finished 4-12 this season.

"A play here and a play there in a couple games, and it's a different season," Harris said. "We didn't play well enough to win, so we are our record. Next year, we're looking to improve. The (Kansas City) Chiefs were 4-12 last year and 10-6 this year. Anything can happen."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17056460?nclick_check=1

Pick Six
01-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I think they are the definition of mediocre QBs that need a great team to excel.

Are you actually calling the current Denver Broncos a great team? ROFL!

Orton thrived in SPITE of not having a running game...

cmhargrove
01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
If McD goes to the Vikes, maybe we can pull the trade I'm really, really hoping for:

Orton for Gerhart and a 4th rounder!

C'mon MCD!!! Make it happen you crazy fool!!!

Just a question, why all the love for Gerhart? He just didn't look that great this year.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
It's gonna be interesting to see who goes where once the HC vacancies are filled. Even if some HC vacancies are filled this week, there's still teams currently in the playoffs that might have their assistant staff's targeted.

Whoever gets Josh will have a good OC.

Mile High Shack
01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Just a question, why all the love for Gerhart? He just didn't look that great this year.

apparently we love us some white running backs

bendog
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh please come back Brett Faver. "Josh" deserves you.

misturanderson
01-11-2011, 08:41 AM

The other issue being that McD wanted to draft Gerhart. Doubt he would want to trade him even if he had a say in it.

Drek
01-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Oh please come back Brett Faver. "Josh" deserves you.

Fraizer has already said he won't be calling Favre to see if he's interested in coming back, i.e. "Brett, stay the **** in Hattisburgh".

I'm hoping McDaniels lands in Minnesota because it all but assures they'll be a player for Orton. Miami and San Fran already have vocal people either covering them or on their roster (Vernon Davis) mentioning his name. McD in Minnesota makes it a three team bidding war. Maybe four if AZ is interested, which also brings in some divisional rivalry for SF and AZ.

If played well the Broncos should have their finger on the pulse of the QB market this off-season, allowing them to trade back from #2 by dangling a QB and then also trade Orton for good return.