PDA

View Full Version : Paige believes Champ will be back and McD pulled contract off the table

BMarsh615
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Anybody believe that McDaniels was the one who pulled the offer off the table? Seems like he has been scapegoated for every bad thing that has happened in Denver in the past two years.

http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_17020984?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Josh McDaniels was responsible for pulling the offer off the table. Josh McDaniels is, of course, gone. I believe sincerely the Broncos will go back to the bargaining table with Champ; he will give them a hometown discount because he does love living here, and all will get this done.

I'd be shocked if it didn't. I told you guys last summer, when everybody was in a panic, that the Elvis deal would get done. It got done.

(more at the link)

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Anybody believe that McDaniels was the one who pulled the offer off the table? Seems he has scapegoated for every bad thing that has happened in Denver in the past two years.

Bowlen and the rest of this FO are so far in damage control mode that they're going to start blaming McD for things that happened three years ago and hope nobody notices. It's pretty sleazy.

HooptyHoops
01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
If this is true, I'm totally pumped! I want to see Champ retire as a Denver Bronco!!

LRtagger
01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Doom got signed in spite of McD, but Champ didnt get signed because of McD.

Got it.

Mr.Meanie
01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Bowlen and the rest of this FO are so far in damage control mode that they're going to start blaming McD for things that happened three years ago and hope nobody notices. It's pretty sleazy.

That's how it always happens with regime change. You can bet if the team struggles under Elway and the new coaches it will be because they have had to unwind the most destructive force in the history of the NFL - McD's reign of terror.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that McD was vehemently against getting Tebow, but Xanders and Ellis held him down while Bowlen worked the phones to trade for him.

PRBronco
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Champ has already stated there won't be a home town discount if he stays.

Bronco Yoda
01-06-2011, 01:12 PM

What ever works for us now. I'm prepared to blame global warming on his ass while we're at it. ROFL!

24champ
01-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Champ is not giving us a hometown discount.

razorwire77
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
This is good news, but it's funny how now that he's **** canned McDaniels started the Chicago fire.

cutthemdown
01-06-2011, 01:29 PM
They can tag Bailey and limit his movement while insuring we get something if he leaves.

Kaylore
01-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Yeah this is a bunch of crap. McDaniels was the one who said he wanted to make sure he retires a Bronco. Every time he's said that (Kupe, Dumervil) he's gotten a contract.

This is "blame the guy who left" and nothing more.

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
They can tag Bailey and limit his movement while insuring we get something if he leaves.

Holy crap! When did I miss the news about them signing the new CBA?!?

broncocalijohn
This is good news, but it's funny how now that he's **** canned McDaniels started the Chicago fire.

I think it is a perfect time to bump this classic. If we are going to blame McD for the past before he got here, it was in this classic (and should be in HOF) thread.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=94083&highlight=tweets

Taco John
I don't know if I believe this. BUT - McDaniels did run off nearly every good player that we have, so it seems part of his MO.

Whatever happens, I'll be very disappointed if we don't hold onto Champ.

~Crash~
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Anybody believe that McDaniels was the one who pulled the offer off the table? Seems like he has been scapegoated for every bad thing that has happened in Denver in the past two years.

[)

LOL so says the man that has the name BMarsh.:wave:

Taco John
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Tag, as in "you're it?"

That's about the only tag we can use right now.

razorwire77
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I think it is a perfect time to bump this classic. If we are going to blame McD for the past before he got here, it was in this classic (and should be in HOF) thread.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=94083&highlight=tweets

Rep for linking a hilarious thread.

It's a shame that McDaniels threw the pick that led to TD's injury.

Jetmeck
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah this is a bunch of crap. McDaniels was the one who said he wanted to make sure he retires a Bronco. Every time he's said that (Kupe, Dumervil) he's gotten a contract.

This is "blame the guy who left" and nothing more.

The little dictator should be blamed for everything................after all a dictator is in control of everything....right ?

Taco John
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Whatever the truth on the Bailey situation is, Elway apparently believes that the things that McDaniels wanted to do was a world apart from what Xanders wanted to do, and that McDaniels overrulled Xanders enough times not to hang the last two years of failure around Xander's neck.

TheReverend
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
While I fully dislike the FO being complete sleazebags, this is far from new, and I'm somewhat stunned the fans are turned off by it.

After all, a HUGE portion of Denver fans blamed Shanahan for absolutely EVERYTHING after he was fired when they should've been revering the career of a Denver legend, imo.

The FO (Xanders especially), completely trashed the work he did, so why is it a surprise they'd do the same to a much lesser coach?

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
While I fully dislike the FO being complete sleazebags, this is far from new, and I'm somewhat stunned the fans are turned off by it.

After all, a HUGE portion of Denver fans blamed Shanahan for absolutely EVERYTHING after he was fired when they should've been revering the career of a Denver legend, imo.

The FO (Xanders especially), completely trashed the work he did, so why is it a surprise they'd do the same to a much lesser coach?

For me personally there is one key difference: this time around, there is more than just trashing. There is trashing of all the bad moves as if they were all McD (even though we have several quotes from the last year + confirming otherwise), with an attempt by the remaining folks to take credit for all the good moves as if McD had nothing to do with them.

With the Shanny situation, everyone at least conceded that all decisions were Shanny's....both good and bad. Nobody tried to take credit for his good moves while trashing him alone for the bad.

i4jelway7
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
everyone hit up elway's twitter account and tell him how much you want Champ back next year

www.twitter.com/johnelway (http://www.twitter.com/johnelway)

bowtown
01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Woody is an idiot. Champ's contract was pulled off the table by Ellis and Bowlen due to the CBA unrest. Champ and his agent know that, and Champ wants to stay in Denver, and will most likely still give us a hometown discount. But his only leverage right now is to posture and make ultimatum statements and say "the hometown discount is off the table." Do you think he'd even be wasting his time saying these kinds of things to the press if he was already checked out? He wants badly to stay, and when it is all said and done, after the new CBA is in place, he will sign an extension and it will be for less than he probably would have gotten on the open market, or he will be tagged and traded or tagged and kept for top 5 CB money, which he is still more than worth.

chrisp
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Why are we taking seriously the comments a man who went on record as saying that Chris Simms was the answer???? Oh yeah Woody, don't mention that when you crow about nailing Tebow and Orton this year do ya?:welcome:

Woody is very entertaining but everyone should know by now that he is the voice of the drunken fan in the downtown bar, not the voice of the genuine insider. Listen to him talk about the draft, I'm sure he thinks he has twice the number of picks we actually do to play with....

I would like to see Champ back though.....and I DON'T buy all this crap about us going CB at #2 if we lose him though...we HAVE to go front-seven......

eddie mac
01-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Tag, as in "you're it?"

That's about the only tag we can use right now.

Unless the rules have changed, that is not the case. In any uncapped year you actually have 2 franchise tags and one transistion tag as per last season.

TheProfessor
01-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Why in gods name would anyone care if something negative is said about our ex-coach. IMO, not enough bad things can be said about that POS... True or not.

BMarsh615
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Why in gods name would anyone care if something negative is said about our ex-coach. IMO, not enough bad things can be said about that POS... True or not.

I would just like to know the truth to be honest and don't believe that McDaniels was to blame for everything. I'm not sticking up for McDaniels at all, I just don't buy everything that the Broncos are saying about him.

Kaylore
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Unless the rules have changed, that is not the case. In any uncapped year you actually have 2 franchise tags and one transistion tag as per last season.

Other way around, but yes, we get three tags.

Taco John
01-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Other way around, but yes, we get three tags.

You guys have a source for that? As I recall, the tag system was implemented as part of the previous CBA. Did the league adopt it outside of the CBA? I don't see how the players union would allow that given how much they hate it.

tsiguy96
01-06-2011, 04:54 PM

yea, nate webster, jamie winborn, louis green, manuel and mcree were taking us to the promised land! not to mention jarvis moss and amon gordon..

eddie mac
01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
You guys have a source for that? As I recall, the tag system was implemented as part of the previous CBA. Did the league adopt it outside of the CBA? I don't see how the players union would allow that given how much they hate it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80864e15&template=with-video&confirm=true

If the NFL gets to an uncapped year in 2010 and 2011, teams will have use of one franchise tag and two transition tags. So not only would none of the young players with less than six years of service be free, but now the top three players who are eligible for free agency on a roster can be protected.

TonyR
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't know if I believe this. BUT...

There is not but. How could anyone possibly believe it was McD, or McD alone? Ridiculous. First of all, what would his motivation be? Second, if McD pulled it Bowlen/Ellis could overrule him. Third, if he pulled it and they didn't overrule him why wouldn't they put it back on the table the minute they fired him? THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!

24champ
01-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Ellis has final say in contracts and money matters then and still does. Like Elway said in his presser when talking about the new Coaches salary. It's up to Ellis to determine how much the Broncos can spend on players and coaches. In other words, Ellis has to approve salaries.