PDA

View Full Version : How far we have fallen: Mike Mularkey cancels interview

bronco0608
01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey has informed the Denver Broncos he will not interview for their coaching opening on Friday as planned.

Mularkey made the decision so he could focus instead on the Falcons' playoff game next week, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who first reported the development.

John Elway, the Broncos' new executive vice president of football operations, who is spearheading the search, said via his official Twitter account: "I respect the decision that Mike Mularkey has made to not interview with the Broncos at this time."

Mularkey still will go through with his previously scheduled interview Saturday with the Cleveland Browns. He is doing so because they called first and he feels a certain sense of obligation, a team source told Schefter

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5995045

Homer Simpson
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I thought it was Mark?

(and welcome to 4 hours ago!)

The sky isn't falling bro.

bowtown
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2009/07/17/cf0b2z885t.jpg

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
We're all going to survive this. I promise you.

It's his loss.

Gcver2ver3
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
who is mike mularkey?....

is that like, mark mularkey's brother or something?...

Hogan11
01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Is it wrong to be relieved by his decision?

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Perhaps Elway not knowing his name annoyed him? Oh well, I'm not too broken up about it.

LRtagger
01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Jim Elway does not approve

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I think our rep is tarished a bit right now but, honestly guys this guy is hardly an A+ hire doing this. If I was a HC possibility I would hesitate too coming here. Top it off unproven FO impatient fanbase that expects instant turnaround. I would think how fans turned on McD's would scare off some as well. We aren't really that stable right now.

Homer Simpson
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Jim Elway does not approve

I thought it was Jim Elbow?

Gcver2ver3
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I think our rep is tarished a bit right now but, honestly guys this guy is hardly an A+ hire doing this. If I was a HC possibility I would hesitate too coming here. Top it off unproven FO impatient fanbase that expects instant turnaround. I would think how fans turned on McD's would scare off some.

good point, and i've thought of that also...

and if thats the case, thats fine...

whomever we hire, will be given a great opportunity to succeed...

i look forward to Mark regretting this decision...

Agamemnon
I think our rep is tarished a bit right now but, honestly guys this guy is hardly an A+ hire doing this. If I was a HC possibility I would hesitate too coming here. Top it off unproven FO impatient fanbase that expects instant turnaround. I would think how fans turned on McD's would scare off some.

The way fans turned on a guy that made a ton of controversial moves, produced our worst season ever, and was caught cheating? Any coach who would let that scare him doesn't have much confidence in his ability to get it done.

Gcver2ver3
I thought it was Jim Elbow?

no, it's John Elwoy...

vancejohnson82
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
"Our pets heads are falling off!!"

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ULUiV_tj1DI/hqdefault.jpg

jhns
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I think our rep is tarished a bit right now but, honestly guys this guy is hardly an A+ hire doing this. If I was a HC possibility I would hesitate too coming here. Top it off unproven FO impatient fanbase that expects instant turnaround. I would think how fans turned on McD's would scare off some as well. We aren't really that stable right now.

I doubt it. Every coach knows that if they run a franchise into the ground, the fans and owner are going to be mad. The management thing may be accurate though. They also probably don't want to come try fixing the complete mess McDaniels made of this franchise.

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
The way fans turned on a guy that made a ton of controversial moves, produced our worst season ever, and was caught cheating? Any coach who would let that scare him doesn't have much confidence in his ability to get it done.

Oh I understand why fans turned on McD's but, HC'ing is like a frat they stick together. I'm sure some would turn us down because of it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM

The way fans turned on him before he'd coached a single game? Yeah, I could see that scaring off some folks, especially someone who had coached in some sub-par places and been run off quickly before.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I wonder if he was mad that Elway called him Mark. I wonder if he was, "if they don't even know my name, what chance do I have?".

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
I doubt it. Every coach knows that if they run a franchise into the ground, the fans and owner are going to be mad. The management thing may be accurate though. They also probably don't want to come try fixing the complete mess McDaniels made of this franchise.

You are also correct.

baja
01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm tellin ya hire Rick Dennison and don't look back.

bowtown
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Honestly, I think the Elway/Xanders GM team is the most unknown and therefore unappealing thing about the Denver job right now. At the end of the day though, it's still a historied team, in a great city, and is run as a class organization. This is not a big deal. Mualrky shouldn't want to do two interviews in the middle of the playoffs, and I'm sure Cleveland is the easier interview for him because of his ties to Holmgren. I bet if we still don't have a coach after Atlanta's season is over, Mularkey interviews with us.

crawdad
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
He is busy with post-season issues and will be interviewed at a later time.

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
The way fans turned on him before he'd coached a single game? Yeah, I could see that scaring off some folks, especially someone who had coached in some sub-par places and been run off quickly before.

Most fans gave him a fair shake. There are extremists in every fanbase.

cmhargrove
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM

this

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Oh I understand why fans turned on McD's but, HC'ing is like a frat they stick together. I'm sure some would turn us down because of it.

Huh? There isn't a fanbase in the NFL that wouldn't have turned on the guy under the circumstances. The guy wrecked the team and got caught cheating in the process.

mkporter
01-06-2011, 11:40 AM

This. But the conspiracy theories are more fun.

strafen
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Can we please get an experienced HC to come in for an interview?
Those assnt coaches just don't do it for me...

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 11:44 AM

He and Nolan are really the guys who know the Bronoc way and what the team means to the fanbase.

bowtown
01-06-2011, 11:45 AM

So far all of them are experienced HCs.

~Crash~
Is it wrong to be relieved by his decision?

No it would mean he is a **** head . we aready had one of them.:sunshine:

worm
Pretty sure we haven't fallen as far as the niners.

Tombstone RJ
01-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Its time for Rivera to step up to the plate. I think Harbaugh is a pipe dream but until he signs, who knows.

Hire Ron to fix the defense, hire the best OC to work with Tebow and fix the running game.

~Crash~
01-06-2011, 11:47 AM
He and Nolan are really the guys who know the Bronoc way and what the team means to the fanbase.

I like Nolan but how you figure he knows any thing Broncos ?

Williams
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Yep.

"Mularkey was set to interview with the Broncos on Friday night. ESPN reported that Mularkey wants to focus on the playoffs but will still interview with the Cleveland Browns on Saturday because they called him first.

The network also said Mularkey would be open to an interview with the Broncos if the job were still open after the Falcons' season is over."

link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hMMozLYJnJ9oeIu-KPlRkQ6avyHA?docId=5dc2832112ce4599aeb3aea371ed730 4)

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
I like Nolan but how you figure he knows any thing Broncos ?

He has coached in Denver twice.

~Crash~
01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
He has coached in Denver twice.

oh I did not know that... thanks

Pseudofool
01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
He wasn't going to get hired here who can blame him.

orange crusher
01-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Atlanta knows Xanders. Mularkey coaches in Atlanta. Just saying....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Most fans gave him a fair shake. There are extremists in every fanbase.

I agree. MOST did. The ones who did not were just the most vocal.

What a surprise. The people who know the least are the people who talk the most. Like Fox News viewers.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 12:06 PM

You know that everyone mentioned has at least temporarily held a HC position in the past, correct?

TonyR
01-06-2011, 12:06 PM

You honestly didn't know that he was our DC last season?

bronco0608
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM

This. But the conspiracy theories are more fun.

He is interviewing with Cleveland on Saturday. And he comes off on a Thursday to tell a team he is not interviewing with them on a Friday?

Yea, he ditched us and that train is not rolling back around.

RaiderH8r
01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Huh? There isn't a fanbase in the NFL that wouldn't have turned on the guy under the circumstances. The guy wrecked the team and got caught cheating in the process.

Indeed. One fanbase turned on him while 31 other fan bases laughed their asses off at the mockery he made of our club. Christ, I think McD out Al Davised Al Davis for a brief period last year.

Broncojef
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Exactly!!!

bronco0608
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Murlarkey not interviewing with us could be an indictment of Tebow. He may simply think that Tebow is not franchise quality and doesn't want to be put in a situation where he doesn't have a franchise QB. He already went through the whole Kelly Holcumb, JP Losman mess in Buffalo.

Life as a coach in the NFL is a hell of a lot easier, when you have a franchise QB.

uplink
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Felt he wasn't Tebow friendy

mkporter
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
He is interviewing with Cleveland on Saturday. And he comes off on a Thursday to tell a team he is not interviewing with them on a Friday?

Yea, he ditched us and that train is not rolling back around.

Soo.. your point is that the only job he will even consider is Cleveland? Why not take his statement at face value?

2KBack
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Murlarkey not interviewing with us could be an indictment of Tebow. He may simply think that Tebow is not franchise quality and doesn't want to be put in a situation where he doesn't have a franchise QB. He already went through the whole Kelly Holcumb, JP Losman mess in Buffalo.

Life as a coach in the NFL is a hell of a lot easier, when you have a franchise QB.

Like McCoy?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Or maybe it's just like he said it was. Maybe he wants to focus on coaching the team he currently works for, which is the top seed and has a good shot at going the distance in the playoffs.

Not everything has to be about Tebow, you know.

Mile High Shack
01-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Why are people that upset over Mark Mularkey anyway? I'm about as upset with this as I am finding out that I missed Sonic's happy hour by 2 min, sure it's annoying, but oh well

txtebow
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I heard that 'Mark' Mularkey thought that we still had Peyton Hillis on our squad and once he found out the Peyton was actually in CLE he decided to interview there instead.........

HILLIS!!!!!!!

Chris
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Sarsly?

jhns
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree. MOST did. The ones who did not were just the most vocal.

What a surprise. The people who know the least are the people who talk the most. Like Fox News viewers.

So the fans that know what they are talking about are the ones that supported and liked what McDaniels was doing?

LOL LOL LOL

txtebow
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
So the fans that know what they are talking about are the ones that supported and liked what McDaniels was doing?

LOL LOL LOL

Ironic, no?

boppool
01-06-2011, 01:18 PM
He has a playoff game to prepare. If he was one of your coaches, wouldn't you want him to do the same thing?

Talk about overreaction...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

LOL LOL LOL

The fans that were talking **** about the coach before the '09 season even started? The fans that were screaming "FIRE MCDANIELS!" before 6-0, that suddenly shut the **** up DURING 6-0? Yes, those people.

They're morons.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
He has a playoff game to prepare. If he was one of your coaches, wouldn't you want him to do the same thing?

Talk about overreaction...

Exactly.

In '09, my alma mater was preparing for the FCS national title game against Villanova. In the middle of that week, our head coach interviewed with UNLV. We lost the game. Two days later, that coach left for the UNLV job.

People are pissed. The guy is a Montana grad, actually played ball at the University, and his brother is maybe the most celebrated player in Montana history. Now nobody in town will say his name.

If Mularkey was my OC, I'd be livid if he was taking interviews, especially two in one week, while he should have been preparing for the job at hand.

broncocalijohn
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
no, it's John Elwoy...

You guys are all wrong. It is John Foneco.

cutthemdown
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
The good news is Atl only a week or 2 away from being done for this yr.

scttgrd
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Mularkey has pulled himself from consideration for the job completely.

Source http://twitter.com/AJCFalcons

BroncosMT
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM

wow....now its fully off the board....wasn't too hot about him anyways...I think that should open the Rivera door wide open IMO

24champ
01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I thought Xanders had some pull in Atlanta? Ha!

What a joke.

Requiem
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Montrose is crushed. Someone should check on him.

jhns
01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
The fans that were talking **** about the coach before the '09 season even started? The fans that were screaming "FIRE MCDANIELS!" before 6-0, that suddenly shut the **** up DURING 6-0? Yes, those people.

They're morons.

LOL

Sure thing buddy. I called for his head the second he starting making roster moves. Everything I claimed would happen is exactly what happened. You guys supported and liked those things. The team is now worse than it has ever been in my lifetime. You were the smart ones that knew what you were talking about though!

LOL LOL

DarkHorse
Postponed but yeah I guess it's the same thing right?

Requiem
I'm not seeing on that Twitter link where he is removing himself from consideration completely. . .

Can anyone post that confirmation?

BroncosMT
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
scrool down on the link

baja
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Falcons confirm that Mike Mularkey has withdrawn from consideration for the head job in Denver as ESPN originally reported.

That's interesting and he is still going to interview with Cleveland so he wants to be a HC just not in Denver. That and Josh being asked to be interviewed in SF does raise questions about what the rest of the league thinks about Pat Bowlen and the denver broncos.

24champ
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not seeing on that Twitter link where he is removing himself from consideration completely. . .

Scroll down a bit where it says...

Falcons confirm that Mike Mularkey has withdrawn from consideration for the head job in Denver as ESPN originally reported.

bowtown
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM

It's speculation. Baically he is saying that the job won't still be open by the time Atlanta's season is over. Problem with that is Atlanta's season could be over in a week and a half.

RaiderH8r
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
scrool down on the link

I scrooled down on the link but it just made my keyboard messy.

Requiem
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
So, when does Mark Mularkey come in for an interview?

I wonder if Elway getting his name wrong continuously pissed him off.

I've also read on ESPN that he would be willing to interview after their season is over as well.

However, I don't think Denver wants to wait that long.

Perry Fewell . . . COME ON DOWN.

http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/5/9780061350115.jpg

RaiderH8r
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Why are people that upset over Mark Mularkey anyway? I'm about as upset with this as I am finding out that I missed Sonic's happy hour by 2 min, sure it's annoying, but oh well

I'd trade Mark Mularky for an order of Sonic tater tots. In a second. I'd probably even give up a second day pick.

I'm Josh McDaniels and I approve of this personnel move.

baja
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I scrooled down on the link but it just made my keyboard messy.

You should get a scrool cup

listopencil
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Exactly.

In '09, my alma mater was preparing for the FCS national title game against Villanova. In the middle of that week, our head coach interviewed with UNLV. We lost the game. Two days later, that coach left for the UNLV job.

People are pissed. The guy is a Montana grad, actually played ball at the University, and his brother is maybe the most celebrated player in Montana history. Now nobody in town will say his name.

If Mularkey was my OC, I'd be livid if he was taking interviews, especially two in one week, while he should have been preparing for the job at hand.

You went to Montana?

bowtown
01-06-2011, 01:59 PM
John was overheard at lunch today talking about upcoming interviews with Larry Fluwell and Dom Irera.

24champ
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Exactly.

If Hauck sucks this coming season, you can have him back...

yerner
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Wow. That's pretty telling. I guess he didn't want to teach a fullback how to play qb. ****.

Requiem
01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
John was overheard at lunch today talking about upcoming interviews with Larry Fluwell and Dom Irera.

He is most excited about Tim Harrawraw.

uplink
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM

but what about the planned interview with Mark Mularkey?

DarkHorse
01-06-2011, 02:07 PM

I read that but the NFL Network is still reporting that he has just postponed the interview process until after the Falcons season.

He did state that he realizes that we possibly won't wait for that - but I have yet to see anything other than a beat writer saying he has actually pulled out of the running for HC.

BroncosMT
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Well with the big boys pulling out...UNLV might have a chance....oh wait Boise is going there...nevermind

extralife
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
what seem to have been our top two candidates have now blown us off. but I guess this is still a great job and everyone wants to be a part of the Tsar Elway's My First NFL Job experiment, right?

bendog
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
There's always Dan Hawkins (-:

baja
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
what seem to have been our top two candidates have now blown us off. but I guess this is still a great job and everyone wants to be a part of the Tsar Elway's My First NFL Job experiment, right?

Hire Dennison and piss on them all.

jhns
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Yeah! I bet we don't even get a coach! Everyone hates us! Wahhhhhhh!

Oh well. We can let Tebow call the offense and Champ call the defense. I'm good with that.

montrose
01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Sucks.

Rohirrim
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM

thwack

illbroncsfn
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Of the four original interviews mentioned in Fewell, Mularkey, G.Williams, and Studesville I felt that M.Mularkey would be the best potential fit for us.....

I must agree w/Baja at this point that Rick Dennison may just be the best man for the current job- that being he has very competent coordinators in mind for the offense, defense, and please improve our special teams.....

boppool
01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
If he really doesn't want to be here, good. It's nice of him to not waste our time. It's not like we offered him a job or anything. Harbaugh's price tag may be too stiff...

Somebody should've asked Elway yesterday if Gruden would be a possibility at all. He was not my first choice, but may be the best choice among who's available...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

He will. You can keep him.

I wasn't wild about his teams at UM anyway, and he benefitted a LOT from having a really good recruitment pipeline developed before he walked in the door. Plus, he was a Hauck, at Montana. There was little wrong he could do.

Now? Now I'd guess the majority of folks back in Missoula are VERY happy to be rid of him.

**** Bobby Hauck and his huge-ass nostrils.

HILife
01-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey has informed the Denver Broncos he will not interview for their coaching opening on Friday as planned.

Mularkey made the decision so he could focus instead on the Falcons' playoff game next week, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who first reported the development.

John Elway, the Broncos' new executive vice president of football operations, who is spearheading the search, said via his official Twitter account: "I respect the decision that Mike Mularkey has made to not interview with the Broncos at this time."

Mularkey still will go through with his previously scheduled interview Saturday with the Cleveland Browns. He is doing so because they called first and he feels a certain sense of obligation, a team source told Schefter

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5995045

We suck.

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Cody as our starter double duo

elsid13
01-06-2011, 04:34 PM

I'm hoping for Rich Kotite

Taco John
01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey, at least we're not the Niners and got turned down by Josh effing McDaniels.

Hamrob
01-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey, at least we're not the Niners and got turned down by Josh effing McDaniels.NO, we're the Broncos and got turned down by Mark Malurkey! Ha!

Ray Finkle
01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey, at least we're not the Niners and got turned down by Josh effing McDaniels.

too bad that didn't happen 2 years ago.

baja
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Or Josh has had two early offers and the Broncos two early rejections

Josh +2

Broncos -2

chawknz
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
NO, we're the Broncos and got turned down by Mark Malurkey! Ha!

:Elway: LOL

Taco John
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Josh +2

Broncos -2

Not sure why you're so interested in painting the loser who turned the Broncos into an expansion team as a winner, but more power to ya.

uplink
01-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Mularkey canceled fearing the tough competition from other former Bills coaches: Fewell, Williams, Studsville, and with Wade still on the market.

baja
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Not sure why you're so interested in painting the loser who turned the Broncos into an expansion team as a winner, but more power to ya.

1. We are far from an expansion team and to say we are is just another example of your (and the board in general) propensity to over react.

2. Josh is not the horrible monster people would like to make out. It is very convenient to make him the fall guy but people are going to find out the problems go much higher than Josh McDaniels. maybe Elway is a legit fix. Lets hope so.

There is more blame to assess to the people that let Josh run wild through the candy store than to the kid who pigged out on the candy. ( read pat bowlen, joe ellis, and the whimp brian anders)

3. This place reminds me of the cartoon where people on a ship run in mass from one side of the boat to the other and back again, tipping the ship to ridiculous levels.

It's like a soap opera of over reaction.

Tim
01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
funny stuff.

Why is the team so interested in buffalo guys? Buffalo has sucked for 20 years.

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
1. We are far from an expansion team and to say we are is just another example of your (and the board in general) propensity to over react.

It's like a soap opera of over reaction.

Let's consider this for a moment.

Then consider...
http://i53.tinypic.com/o9jqyo.png

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/cat-gif-que.gif?w=173&h=142

baja
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Let's consider this for a moment.

Then consider...
http://i53.tinypic.com/o9jqyo.png

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/cat-gif-que.gif?w=173&h=142

Thought you had me on ignore you must be physic

That (firing the head coach) was a pretty big event don't you think.

My idea of over reacting is OMG Mularkey canceled his interview he has rejected us when in fact he has a playoff game to attend to.

Anyway I will look forward to the next 100 times you repost my reaction to McD termination. I am happy you get so much joy from it.

Jesterhole
01-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Josh +2

Broncos -2

If ever there was a doubt that you're a Josh-first kinda fan, then it just got erased. For people to cling to Shanahan was one thing...the man deserved our respect. Your infatuation with a boy that drove away fans from Mile High in record numbers is just baffling.

Most of the reason we're getting rejected is due to the state McFailed left the team in. That fly over your head?

SoCalBronco
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Hilarious.

baja
01-06-2011, 08:06 PM
If ever there was a doubt that you're a Josh-first kinda fan, then it just got erased. For people to cling to Shanahan was one thing...the man deserved our respect. Your infatuation with a boy that drove away fans from Mile High in record numbers is just baffling.

Most of the reason we're getting rejected is due to the state McFailed left the team in. That fly over your head?

Josh McDaniels was not the sum total of the problems of the Denver Broncos unless Elway can fix that you will have a painful awakening. Ask yourself this, who let Josh run wild for almost two years.

BTW I have been following the Broncos before Josh McDaniels was born.