PDA

View Full Version : Luck? I'd Rather Talk About Huck... Finn.

RhymesayersDU
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
The controversy that's sweeping the nation. Should Huckleberry Finn be censored?

Vote!

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
No.

Bloody hell America.

http://www.americanliterature.com/images/bookcovers/HuckJimRaft.jpg

NUB
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I wish these damn "politically correct" people would stop being nigards about what is proper and what isn't.

beanerbronco
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
What's the point of having a teacher then? I remember reading it in school and my teacher taking the time to make us understand why certain words were used and whatnot. This is nuts

OBF1
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
No

Pick Six
01-05-2011, 11:01 PM
So far, it's no controversy, here...

Miss I.
01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
what? Is this serious? no of course it shouldn't be censored. Did someone get ahold of the key to Dad's liquor cabinet?

Pony Boy
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
You walk up to me a Native American and call me a "redskin" to my face and see if you have any teeth left, so why is that an acceptable name in the NFL.

Ray_Lewis'_Victim
01-05-2011, 11:25 PM
****a Please.....

Don't censor Huck Finn

Miss I.
01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
You walk up to me a Natvie American and call me a "redskin" to my face and see if you have any teeth left, so why is that an acceptable name in the NFL.

actually I kind of wondered that myself.

But as for Huck Finn, it's novel written during a time period where that word was part of the culture. If anything, leaving it in should provide for a discussion on the origin of the word and culturally what it means and why it is not appropriate to use anymore, not to mention to discuss the power of the written word. That word is powerful and just hiding it will not make it go away and editing a novel hundred years after the fact is just stupid.

OBF1
01-05-2011, 11:35 PM
You walk up to me a Natvie American and call me a "redskin" to my face and see if you have any teeth left, so why is that an acceptable name in the NFL.

First thing I would do is learn you hows to spell.... Native ROFL!

Pony Boy
01-05-2011, 11:35 PM
actually I kind of wondered that myself.

But as for Huck Finn, it's novel written during a time period where that word was part of the culture. If anything, leaving it in should provide for a discussion on the origin of the word and culturally what it means and why it is not appropriate to use anymore, not to mention to discuss the power of the written word. That word is powerful and just hiding it will not make it go away and editing a novel hundred years after the fact is just stupid.

I agree but it's already happened, try to find a copy of the childrens book "Brer rabbit and the tar baby" in the childrens section at the library......

Pony Boy
01-05-2011, 11:44 PM
First thing I would do is learn you hows to spell.... Native ROFL!

Yep, I start getting a little cross-eyed after midnight.... wait I don't think cross-eyed is "politically correct".

OBF1
01-05-2011, 11:49 PM
damn racist :)

footstepsfrom#27
01-05-2011, 11:51 PM
WTF? Who wants to screw with Huck Finn? Crazy... :oyvey:

Requiem
01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm on the southside of Chicago lookin for a real hoe
I dont see a touchdown, arms up field goal
Got some ill gold, diamonds thats still low
Lil dick you a dickhead, nah dilldo
I chill though, pippin in the Range
All this icin I'm ashamed, look like lightnin' in the chain
Who was first that moved wit they fam (who)
Ask you, tattoos on they hand (who)
Slang all the white (who) cruise wit the tan (who)
Pink on they back (who) blue in they van (who)
Yellow on his ear (who) steam on the rock (who)
Puple in the air (who) green in his pocket
I aint dissin you dog, I'm dismissin you
Get the R. Kelly tape and see how we piss on you
Thats Kool-Aid, Mountain Dew, and Cris on you
Ya family will be missin you, theres a kiss for you

BowlenBall
01-05-2011, 11:58 PM
I absolutely loathe the "N" word -- it's one of the very few words I would never say in any context. I also appreciate how having such a foul word in a great piece of literature over 200 times makes elementary school librarians uncomfortable.

That being said -- censorship is rarely appropriate, and this case is preposterous. Twain was a great respecter of the brotherhood of humanity, and indeed one of the major themes of Huck Finn is how people of different races can be friends. His use of the word is intentional and used for effect.

Better to have a preface to any edition which addresses the use of the 'N word' in an analytical and respectful fashion than to bowdlerize a great work.

Mark Twain himself said it best: "The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning."

atomicbloke
01-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Jesus Christ..... don't people have any better use for their time....

That One Guy
01-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't recall which writing it was, it may have just been an autobiography or one of his ramblings, but he went into talking about how he was joking with one of their servants about how he was going to go have sex with her daughter and made a comment that he was just teasing because if he wanted to, he could've just gone and done it.

If you hate the word (especially in today's culture), you hate the sentiment of Twain. If you hate the sentiment, deleting one word here or there wont change it into Robinson Crusoe.

This sounds as good a time as any to read one of my favorite short pieces - a Twain work called Burlesque Autobiography (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3175). It's dumb but amusing.

That One Guy
01-06-2011, 12:17 AM
And as for the use of the word, I don't use it because I can. If anyone ever tried to make it an issue, I'd be more apt to use it. Anyone who caves to a limit on free speech is weak. Heck, just get a reader and read all the books you want off Project Gutenburg if you're gonna spend money.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-06-2011, 12:25 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzUgjhRdNC8/SylBABGLlDI/AAAAAAAAAxE/4yFwFehk5WE/s400/nagger.jpg

Naggers?

That One Guy
01-06-2011, 12:38 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzUgjhRdNC8/SylBABGLlDI/AAAAAAAAAxE/4yFwFehk5WE/s400/nagger.jpg

Naggers?

LOL

Loved that one.

cutthemdown
01-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Southpark is the best show ever.

RhymesayersDU
01-06-2011, 07:03 AM
So here's a question:

In an interview, one proponent of the censorship said the following, paraphrased of course:

"I'm not a fan of censorship in general, but if changing 200 words or so in the book gets ot back into schools and libraries, so be it."

Now I'm not a fan of caving in, but what do you guys think of changing the n-word to "slave" and now getting the book back into schools and libraries?

I'm anti-censorship myself, but kids should be reading it. I read it in school. Fantastic book.

Binkythefrog
01-06-2011, 07:07 AM
I totally think this is ridiculous as well.

Roger Ebert had a good tweet about this:

https://twitter.com/ebertchicago/status/22676387810779136#

"I rather be called a n***** than a slave"

Man-Goblin
01-06-2011, 07:10 AM
I played Jim in my 6th grade school play. That prick Tom Sawyer tricked me into painting a picket fence.

oubronco
01-06-2011, 07:11 AM
San Diego War Memorial Cross Deemed Unconstitutional – Fate in Question

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found that the 29-foot cross in a San Diego public park, which was dedicated in 1954 in honor of Korean War veterans, is unconstitutional. The 3-member panel of jurists was unanimous.
However, the Court did not rule that the cross be taken down. Instead, the Court suggested that the cross could be modified so that it is constitutional. The ruling did not specify what types of modifications could be made that would show that the cross does not constitute state-endorsed religion.

Archer81
01-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are classic pieces of American Literature written 150 + years ago. Its a reflection of southern society then. Censoring it so it does not offend is offensive. You take out two words you do not like and you steal history from the kids who have not read it. What's next? Taking the gods out of the Iliad and the Odyssey because it might offend some people?

****ing stupid.

:Broncos:

Que
01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
At first I though this was about a movie version. That I could see as that sort of thing is common in screen adaptations.

But the book? **** no. Twain used that word for a very specific reason. Furthermore, it reminds us of our history. A fault forgotten is a fault doomed to be repeated.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm offended by decades old literature that describes happy people as "gay." Can we please censor these works so my snowflakes wont confuse being happy with homosexuality? I'm afraid their confusion might lead to closeted happiness due to ambiguous terms that can go both ways.

Rohirrim
01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
We should leave the "disneyfication" of history to totalitarian regimes like China. Let our kids learn the truth about America, warts and all. In a free society, you don't fear truth.

jhns
01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Who reads anyways? Just edit the cliff notes and the kids won't know the difference.

RhymesayersDU
01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Who reads anyways? Just edit the cliff notes and the kids won't know the difference.

I believe you mean edit the FaceBook Huck Finn fan group and @huckfinn Twitter account.