PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh to the Dolphins looking incredibly unlikely. I bet he won't go there. Never ever ever.

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
He'll never go there.

go_broncos
01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
$7 mil/year..that's a lot.
I don't think we can compete

Chris
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I think the hype wagon is helping Mr Harbaugh out a tremendous amount. He's probably going to be a very good coach... but 7 million for a guy with next to no NFL experience?

I'd say he's played his cards very well.

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I think the hype wagon is helping Mr Harbaugh out a tremendous amount. He's probably going to be a very good coach... but 7 million for a guy with next to no NFL experience?

I'd say his agent played his cards very well.

:wiggle:

tsiguy96
01-05-2011, 08:43 PM
id be 100% fine with rivera or mularkey, but rivera has no previous HC experience...

Drek
01-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Everything is falling in line for the Mularkey/Nolan duo. Very nice.

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Wait, what??

Mjolnir
01-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Do you really think that Nolan would come back after his "departure" from the team last year?

Did his leaving have everything to do with McDaniels?

ro_50
I like Harbaugh but for that much money, he better a few playoff games within three years.

I would not mind Mularkey.

Drek
Wait, what??

The Denver Broncos dream coaching scenario.

We bring in Mularkey as HC, he brings Musgrave along to be the OC. Nolan is out since with Harbaugh or Cowher (both of Miami's big name targets) Nolan is likely being replaced by one of "their" guys. Where better for him to catch on than the defense he helped realign just a season ago with many of the same pieces he pursued still here?

Once Nolan is back in the fold its just a small step from there for him to bring his buddy Sporano with him as an "Assistant HC - Offensive Line" to coach up our OL. With Mularkey's connections from his Pittsburgh days and Nolan's connections as an established 3-4 DC we could go out and put together one hell of a staff behind that backbone to help them succeed.

Maybe bring in Singletary as Asst. HC - LBs while we're at it. Staff the team with overqualified, competent men who share a common work ethic and desire to succeed. Sure Sporano and Singletary would likely be jumping ship in just a few seasons, but a few seasons of that kind of leadership is what this team adrift needs.

Its a fantasy, but it a fantasy that the stars seem to be aligning to make at least possible.

Drek
01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Do you really think that Nolan would come back after his "departure" from the team last year?

His departure seems to have been for three reasons:

1. got to work with his personal friend, Sporano, in Miami.

2. got more defensive autonomy in Miami.

3. didn't get along well with McDaniels personally.

If Sporano is fired then 1 and 2 are out the window. 3 already is. If Nolan wants to keep working in the league where better than the team who's defense he started to turn around and convert to his scheme in '09? He'd effectively be a year ahead of the game compared to anywhere else.

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Ill pass on Mularkey.

baja
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
His departure seems to have been for three reasons:

1. got to work with his personal friend, Sporano, in Miami.

2. got more defensive autonomy in Miami.

3. didn't get along well with McDaniels personally.

If Sporano is fired then 1 and 2 are out the window. 3 already is. If Nolan wants to keep working in the league where better than the team who's defense he started to turn around and convert to his scheme in '09? He'd effectively be a year ahead of the game compared to anywhere else.

I notice you haven't weighed in on the Elway presser yet.

Dedhed
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
The Mularkey idea is growing on me every day. He's a solid, proven coach, who was moderately successful at his first HC gig, which happened to be with a terrible organization. He could be the next Belichek.

I would love a Mularkey/Nolan duo. Nolan obviously had some insight into how to make this a successful defensive unit, and given some new talent might make it NFL worthy in a year or two.

I think Mularkey would be great for Tebow.

Requiem
01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Ill pass on Mularkey.

You would pass on top notch cooter too.

Dukes

We bring in Mularkey as HC, he brings Musgrave along to be the OC. Nolan is out since with Harbaugh or Cowher (both of Miami's big name targets) Nolan is likely being replaced by one of "their" guys. Where better for him to catch on than the defense he helped realign just a season ago with many of the same pieces he pursued still here?

Once Nolan is back in the fold its just a small step from there for him to bring his buddy Sporano with him as an "Assistant HC - Offensive Line" to coach up our OL. With Mularkey's connections from his Pittsburgh days and Nolan's connections as an established 3-4 DC we could go out and put together one hell of a staff behind that backbone to help them succeed.

Maybe bring in Singletary as Asst. HC - LBs while we're at it. Staff the team with overqualified, competent men who share a common work ethic and desire to succeed. Sure Sporano and Singletary would likely be jumping ship in just a few seasons, but a few seasons of that kind of leadership is what this team adrift needs.

Its a fantasy, but it a fantasy that the stars seem to be aligning to make at least possible.

I really like this line of thinking and it would be a dream. My only concern is too many big name guys in one room. That's a lot of ego's to check at the door.

Drek
I notice you haven't weighed in on the Elway presser yet.

On the fence there.

Dukes
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I think Mularkey is the gunna be their guy. We'll see.

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
There are really only two candidates who can legitimately claim to know of the connection between the team and the fans, and thats Nolan and Dennison...except, they arent candidates at the moment.

24champ
01-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Sign me up.

Nolan can bring Singletary onboard as Linebackers coach. I like that move a lot.

Mjolnir
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Sign me up.

Nolan can bring Singletary onboard as Linebackers coach. I like that move a lot.

Maybe Singletary could get DJ to reach his full potential.

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Drek's right though, Miami are openly and actively pursuing Harbaugh, how do you think Sparano and his staff feel at this point, he is still the coach. Nolan is close with him too, so he could be free.

Oh, then we could say 6 DC's in 7 years! The beginnings of consistency!

Mjolnir
01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I should say if DJ's not traded first.

SoDak Bronco
01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Isn't it more likely? lol

Drek
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I really like this line of thinking and it would be a dream. My only concern is too many big name guys in one room. That's a lot of ego's to check at the door.

But thats the beauty of it. They aren't ego guys. Sporano, Singletary, Nolan, they all just want to win.

They also all probably want to be drawing a paycheck and working towards their next gig.

Right now Bill Calahan, the HC who replaced Gruden and had the Raiders in the Super Bowl, is an OL coach for the Jets. Dom Capers worked as a DB consultant for the Pats one year before going to Green Bay to run their now outstanding defense. Mularkey went from HC to OC with Atlanta to "do his time" before getting another crack at it. Its what failed HCs have to do in order to build themselves back up.

When you've got guys like Mularkey and Musgrave, coming form Pittsburgh and Atlanta where the defensive guys handled their side of the ball and the offensive guys handled their side of the ball you have guys who understand the distribution of responsibility and work. No one can be an all in one package like McDaniels and Shanahan both tried to be here.

That dovetails perfectly with bringing in a guy to run the defensive side of the ball for him. In this case Mike Nolan, who already knows most of the talent on the roster and the kind of system that has been installed here.

Now we obviously need a new OL coach and Mike Nolan happens to be close friends with a damn fine one currently in need of work by the name of Tony Sporano. A guy many viewed as a no ego foot soldier for Parcells given the next bump up, and likely not someone who would rock the boat in house. He does his job, he does it better than almost anyone, and he lets the results speak for themselves. Its his primary reason for getting ousted in Miami. Its not that he isn't good, he's just not exciting enough.

Same with Singletary. Another friend of Nolan's. With Martindale out we need a new LBs coach. Singletary was Nolan's LB coach in Baltimore and has never had a problem working under Nolan before. I'm sure he now understands that he needs to further develop his message and coaching techniques if he wants that HC title again in his career.

They're all guys who understand that success in the NFL comes from highly qualified people doing very good work on their one area of expertise. Its Football 101. Do your job and let the guy next to you do his. They'll all understand that turning around the mess the Broncos have become will get them all what they want sooner than later anyhow.

Maybe they all get better offers. But as of right now we could make a legitimate run at assembling that kind of staff. I don't think its going to happen, but it sure would be awesome and it doesn't take too many pieces falling into place for that chain reaction to occur.

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Isn't it more likely? lol

It was likely, then more likely, then likelier, then I decided you are all Americans so you won't care about proper use of the Queen's English! 8')

montrose
01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Sign me up.

Nolan back would be sick, although what about asking Wink to stay on as LB coach? He served in that role under Nolan in '09, the players really like him and (like Slowick) while he may suck as a DC he's a really good position coach.

Broncojef
Anyone heard anything about Dennison?

RhymesayersDU

I would like to subscribe to your publication.

Drek
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Nolan back would be sick, although what about asking Wink to stay on as LB coach? He served in that role under Nolan in '09, the players really like him and (like Slowick) while he may suck as a DC he's a really good position coach.

Its hard to demote a guy in the NFL like that though. Its almost never done to my knowledge. Just doesn't seem like it sends the kind of message the locker room needs. Especially when the other option could be Singletary. For a several year hitch he's the perfect lieutenant for Nolan. A hard ass who will demand 110% from our players. About when his fire and brimstone gets old someone else has hired him to be DC or even HC and we bring in a new #2 for Nolan.

Of course that all depends on the least likely of all these moves, Singletary taking an Asst. HC - LBs job. Should that not work out trying to work around a demotion for Martindale becomes a lot more attractive.

Gutless Drunk
01-05-2011, 09:21 PM
NFL source: 49ers have had initial discussions with former Denver coach Josh McDaniels in lieu of possible Harbaugh-Miami deal.

http://twitter.com/TIMKAWAKAMI

Dr. Broncenstein
01-05-2011, 09:23 PM

That makes my pants fit funny in the front.

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Similar to how Josh made them fill funny in the back on Sundays? :D

Dr. Broncenstein
01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I want Nolan back in some capacity. Whatever it takes.

montrose
01-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Its hard to demote a guy in the NFL like that though. Its almost never done to my knowledge. Just doesn't seem like it sends the kind of message the locker room needs. Especially when the other option could be Singletary. For a several year hitch he's the perfect lieutenant for Nolan. A hard ass who will demand 110% from our players. About when his fire and brimstone gets old someone else has hired him to be DC or even HC and we bring in a new #2 for Nolan.

Of course that all depends on the least likely of all these moves, Singletary taking an Asst. HC - LBs job. Should that not work out trying to work around a demotion for Martindale becomes a lot more attractive.

True, very true. Anyone know if Nolan has any ties to Mularkey, Elway or Xanders?

LOL

Dr. Broncenstein
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Despair of jeans make mah butt look big?

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
7 mil a year for a guy who's never coached in the NFL? Okay...

broncolife
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
looks like we need a coach cap too

24champ
01-05-2011, 09:37 PM
True, very true. Anyone know if Nolan has any ties to Mularkey, Elway or Xanders?

LOL

Nolan was a Linebackers coach during the Reeves years. I am sure Elway and Nolan know each other from those years.

montrose
01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Nolan was a Linebackers coach during the Reeves years. I am sure Elway and Nolan know each other from those years.

Ahh that's right.

Drek
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM

And Xanders obviously worked with him in '09. We have multiple comments that the assistant coaches helped do our draft scouting that year (Ayers saying Wink worked him out, commented that he'd be our pick if he was on the board at #18). For that to have happened the DC obviously had to have been involved at some very real level in those discussions.

Broncos4Life
01-05-2011, 10:12 PM
7 mil a year for a guy who's never coached in the NFL? Okay...

Right! That was what I was thinking......WTF? I don't know what the average salary for a HC gig in the NFL is, but this seems a bit high. Would'nt between 4-5 mil a year be reasonable. I mean the guy had 1 good year with Stanford, right? I wouldn't have a problem with that figure if he had a well established tradition of winning. Heck, even 3 or for 4 winning seasons. But one? For all we know he could be one and done.

orange crusher
01-05-2011, 10:33 PM

I could support that. I'd like Harbaugh, but $7M? I'd like to see Nolan back either as HC or DC. Wonder what the three legged stool thinks of this?

Que
01-05-2011, 10:37 PM

I think I just busted loose reading this post. Cleanup on aisle 3. Anyone have a smoke?

schaaf
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
You would pass on top notch cooter too.

hahahahaha i haven't laughed that hard in a long timeROFL!

Bronco Yoda
01-06-2011, 12:21 AM

That's a nice dream. I'd go for it. Think Nolan would really come back? Do we send flowers, a card or both?

UberBroncoMan
01-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Pretty much.

Nolan worked wonders with Miami just like he did for us. They were 20th in D last year and far less sacks, etc before he came. Dude is a good DC.

TonyR
01-06-2011, 05:50 AM
...Miami are openly and actively pursuing Harbaugh, how do you think Sparano and his staff feel at this point, he is still the coach.

I think Miami is playing this very poorly, and so is Harbaugh. Miami is treating Sparano and his staff like dirt by interviewing other candidates while he still has the job. And Harbaugh could be upsetting the "coaching fraternity" by agreeing to talk to a team that has a coach who hasn't been let go yet. Very unprofessional. They can have each other.

HILife
01-06-2011, 05:58 AM

When you dream, you dream big.

Gort
01-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Maybe Singletary could get DJ to reach his full potential.

or he could moon him in the locker room... either way, Singletary's got you covered.

:welcome:

Chris
01-06-2011, 06:15 AM

Got a Bonarkey?

ghostofjosh
01-06-2011, 06:23 AM
$7 mil/year..that's a lot.
I don't think we can compete

I dont want to compete

ColoradoDarin
01-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Let me summarize Drek:

HC: Mularkey
OC: Musgrave
OL: Sporano
DC: Nolan
LB: Singletary

Me: Ecstatic

Seriously, this would be a dream team coaching our beloved Broncos. Sign me up.

Durango
01-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I think it's a disgrace for the Miami ownership and management to be groveling to Harbaugh in such a public manner when they haven't fired, or even advised their current head coach what the future holds.

Incredible disrespect.

TonyR
01-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I think it's a disgrace for the Miami ownership and management to be groveling to Harbaugh in such a public manner when they haven't fired, or even advised their current head coach what the future holds.

Incredible disrespect.

Yup, and as I said earlier in this thread it's also questionable for Harbaugh to agree to speak to the team. IMO his stance should be, "if and when you have a coaching vacancy give me a call and maybe we'll talk about it".

RaiderH8r
01-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Incredible disrespect.

This is so true. Their actions, if true, represent poor management style in gambling quite a bit on a very specific and uncertain outcome.

Mile High Shack
01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
if Hollywood Harbaugh is going to get 7 million a year on potential, have fun with that Miami or San Fran

Rohirrim
01-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Although I wanted Harbaugh to be the next HC of the Broncos, I'm glad the team is not getting involved in this "My dick is bigger than yours" bidding war for him. It has been reported that Harbaugh leaked the 5.2 million offer he got from Michigan in order to drive up his price in the NFL. Miami looks like scumbags for getting into this **** while Sparano is still on the payroll. The Broncos should look elsewhere.

If it's true about Harbaugh leaking the Michigan deal, the Broncos don't need some ahole who is willing to screw over his alma mater for the benefit of his bank account.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-06-2011, 07:48 AM
History has shown that hiring the first time head coach right out the college ranks always works.

Mile High Shack
01-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Although I wanted Harbaugh to be the next HC of the Broncos, I'm glad the team is not getting involved in this "My dick is bigger than yours" bidding war for him. It has been reported that Harbaugh leaked the 5.2 million offer he got from Michigan in order to drive up his price in the NFL. Miami looks like scumbags for getting into this **** while Sparano is still on the payroll. The Broncos should look elsewhere.

If it's true about Harbaugh leaking the Michigan deal, the Broncos don't need some ahole who is willing to screw over his alma mater for the benefit of his bank account.

this for sure.....seems he just wants to get paid more than anything at this point

bowtown
01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

This is my dream scenario as well.

bowtown
01-06-2011, 07:56 AM
History has shown that hiring the first time head coach right out the college ranks always works.

I think you are mistaking History with the guy that hangs out next to the newspaper rack at my local deli.

Mile High Shack
01-06-2011, 07:58 AM
I think you are mistaking History with the guy that hangs out next to the newspaper rack at my local deli.

if you haven't noticed...the Dr. always has his tongue firmly planted in his cheek

bowtown
01-06-2011, 08:00 AM
if you haven't noticed...the Dr. always has his tongue firmly planted in his cheek

And that's not the only thing he always has firmly planted in his cheek, if you know what I mean!

He likes sunflower seeds.

bloodsunday
01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Man I cannot wait to watch Harbaugh implode at the NFL level. Didn't Miami already go down this road once with Saban? Morons.

bowtown
01-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Man I cannot wait to watch Harbaugh implode at the NFL level. Didn't Miami already go down this road once with Saban? Morons.

Amusing.
buy a vowel

peacepipe
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Right! That was what I was thinking......WTF? I don't know what the average salary for a HC gig in the NFL is, but this seems a bit high. Would'nt between 4-5 mil a year be reasonable. I mean the guy had 1 good year with Stanford, right? I wouldn't have a problem with that figure if he had a well established tradition of winning. Heck, even 3 or for 4 winning seasons. But one? For all we know he could be one and done.

He played & coached in the NFL,not as a HC but he did coach in the NFL. he then took the HC job at Cal took them to I think 11-1 consecutive seasons. then he became the HC of Stanford.

BTW,shanahan was getting 10 million a yr.

bronco militia
01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
He played & coached in the NFL,not as a HC but he did coach in the NFL. he then took the HC job at Cal took them to I think 11-1 consecutive seasons. then he became the HC of Stanford.

BTW,shanahan was getting 10 million a yr.

not lame ass Cal, but the University of San Diego ! Ha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

Hamrob
01-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Doesn't look promising:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/mike-mularkey-not-interviewing-with-broncos/

Killericon
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Sparano should resign.

peacepipe
01-06-2011, 09:44 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaughmy bad, IDK why i was thinking Cal.

Obushma
01-06-2011, 09:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

That's not even right, he didn't coach SDSU, he coached in some pioneer football league. The SDSU Aztecs were coached by Tom Craft in 2004 and in 2005 Chuck Long was named the HC.

peacepipe
01-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Doesn't look promising:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/mike-mularkey-not-interviewing-with-broncos/

somehow I'm not surprised by this. I got a feeling we'll be settling for whoever is willing to take the job.

SoonerBronco
01-06-2011, 09:49 AM
And that's not the only thing he always has firmly planted in his cheek, if you know what I mean!

He likes sunflower seeds.

Nicely done...

meangene
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Sparano should resign.

Naw, make them pay him.

bronco militia
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
That's not even right, he didn't coach SDSU, he coached in some pioneer football league. The SDSU Aztecs were coached by Tom Craft in 2004 and in 2005 Chuck Long was named the HC.

Harbaugh came to Stanford from the University of San Diego, where he guided the Toreros to an impressive three-year overall record of 29-6 (.829), including back-to-back 11-1 seasons that netted a pair of Division I-AA Mid Major national titles in 2005 and '06.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harbaugh_jim00.html

UCSD is not SDSU

peacepipe
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM

your confusing the san diego state aztecs with the university of san diego Toreros.

Chris
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
your confusing the san diego state aztecs with the university of san diego Toreros.

taco flavoured kisses.

Obushma
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM

What is that, a community college?

crawdad
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM

This may be a wet dream but I am in! Sounds like a wet dream come true!

CEH
01-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Harbaugh came to Stanford from the University of San Diego, where he guided the Toreros to an impressive three-year overall record of 29-6 (.829), including back-to-back 11-1 seasons that netted a pair of Division I-AA Mid Major national titles in 2005 and '06.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harbaugh_jim00.html
UCSD is not SDSU

For the record

UCSD is not SDSU is not USD.
Univerisity of California at San Diego is not University of San Diego

Obushma
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
For the record

UCSD is not SDSU is not USD.
Univerisity of California at San Diego is not University of San Diego

Yeah, I was a bit lost there. For 7 million a year we should check his coaching record for his sons Pop Warner team as well.

boppool
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM

History has shown that hiring the assistant coach from New England always works.

Fixed for ya.

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Told ya... 8')

boppool
01-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Good call, Dagmar.

I sure hope he turned it down, so he can coach Tebow :wink

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Good call, Dagmar.

I sure hope he turned it down, so he can coach Tebow :wink

I'm certain he would rather coach Tebow than Henne.

strafen
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
He'll never go there.

Why did you edit the title?
Fail! Ha!

Dagmar
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Why did you edit the title?
Fail! Ha!

Oh.

My.

God.

I knew you were a bigot, and a racist, and a ****ing retard... Oh.

Read the thread, there is evidence for what the original title said. Over exaggeration as use for comedy.

It must be absolutely horrible being so ****ing stupid you racist ****.

See bopool's comment and the wink. Someone who got it. Lord almighty...