PDA

View Full Version : Official 2011 Draft Choice Thread (Picks, Trades, etc.)

Requiem
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
This thread will be updated whenever we acquire more selections (or whatever) towards the NFL Draft. Based off what I know, here is the current order of our selections heading into the draft.

#2, #36, #46, #67 and two sixth rounders -- New England's and Detroit's.

Trades Involving Picks in the 2011 Draft

We acquired #46 via Miami for Brandon Marshall.
We do not have a fourth based on the Maroney trade, we gained New England's sixth.
We do not have a fifth based on the draft day trade to get Thompson and Kirlew.
We do not have our original sixth,that went with Hillis to the Browns for Brady Quinn.
We do not have a seventh, as it was swapped with Smith to obtain Gronkowski and a sixth.

Players Rumored to be Traded

Various sources believe the Broncos are seeking a SECOND ROUND SELECTION for Kyle Orton

Feel free to add any other information or help me correct this if necessary.

Thanks everyone, who else is excited for the draft? We have a very encouraging status with four picks in the Top 70 selections, which should give us the ability to find several impact players on the defensive (or offensive) side of the ball. It will be interesting to see how our pick arsenal pans out when it is all said and done.

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
A very colorful presentation. Well done. :thumbs:

ayjackson
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Interesting to note that the Patriots are the only other team with multiple picks in the first round. Not the greatest scenario for trading back from number two. If we do so, expect a future pick coming back.

BowlenBall
01-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Just had a happy thought -- there's a good chance we'll pick up an additional late 7th round draft choice through the supplemental compensatory pick system.

Here's a description of how that works, from wikipedia:

Compensatory picks
In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Here's the number of supplemental compensatory picks awarded over the last 5 years:
2010: 2 additional picks
2009: 2 additional picks
2008: 1 additional pick
2007: 2 additional picks
2006: 4 additional picks

So... there's a fair chance that we'll be selecting Mr. Irrelevant this year. Sweet!

Requiem
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't see how we will be gaining any compensatory selections with the free agents we signed. Not gonna happen.

ZONA
01-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Good lord, we have the 2nd overall pick? It sucks we had to endure the season we just had but getting the 2nd pick will be nice. It's going to be fun trying to guess who we will take with that pick, or if we decide to trade down.

Doggcow
01-07-2011, 03:00 AM
I would be ridiculously happy with either of these scenarios:

1) Patrick Peterson
2) Trade Down: Disregard Females, and Acquire Picks/Dlinemen

BowlenBall
01-07-2011, 04:40 AM
I don't see how we will be gaining any compensatory selections with the free agents we signed. Not gonna happen.

The supplemental compensatory picks have nothing to do with free agents. It's an unofficial "8th round" to fill out the draft if there are less than 255 picks. Since we've got the 2nd worst record in the league, we have a good chance of picking up that Mr. Irrelevant pick....

cousinal11
01-07-2011, 06:13 AM
I would be ridiculously happy with either of these scenarios:

1) Patrick Peterson
2) Trade Down: Disregard Females, and Acquire Picks/Dlinemen

Agree. I would love to trade down and select Dareus. Another 2nd round pick would be tasty.

elsid13
01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
The supplemental compensatory picks have nothing to do with free agents. It's an unofficial "8th round" to fill out the draft if there are less than 255 picks. Since we've got the 2nd worst record in the league, we have a good chance of picking up that Mr. Irrelevant pick....

Supplementary picks are assigned based upon the FA from team lost vs. those they signed.

BowlenBall
01-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Supplementary picks are assigned based upon the FA from team lost vs. those they signed.

Yes, except at the tail end of the draft IF 32 comp. picks have not been awarded....

as I mentioned in my post above....

sigh....

"If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections")."

elsid13
01-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Yes, except at the tail end of the draft IF 32 comp. picks have not been awarded....

as I mentioned in my post above....

sigh....

"If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections")."

I strongly doubt that happens this year. And you are right I should have read your post closer, I and I apologize about that.