PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mr. Bowlen

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for bringing John back to us. Thanks for realizing you needed a touchstone as did the fans.

I'm a little misty and giddy all at the same time.

As a long time Bronco fanatic, I NEEDED THIS!

I realize it's not a magic bullet. It won't cure all our cancers. But . . .

As an owner, you needed this. As an organization, it needed this. As fans, WE NEEDED THIS.

THANK YOU!

Chris
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
God I hope this doesn't get bumped in two years... but I'm optimistic!

Mile High Shack
01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
yeah, yeah, me too

baja
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for bringing John back to us. Thanks for realizing you needed a touchstone as did the fans.

I'm a little misty and giddy all at the same time.

As a long time Bronco fanatic, I NEEDED THIS!

I realize it's not a magic bullet. It won't cure all our cancers. But . . .

As an owner, you needed this. As an organization, it needed this. As fans, WE NEEDED THIS.

THANK YOU!

Great sentiment I agree 100%

bronco militia
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Ha!

baja
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Even if it fails which I don't think it will like Yoda said we all needed this NOW.

Requiem
01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Ghost of 97-98 Past.

BroncoBen
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Hooray !! The Duke is back..

Pony Boy
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Elway under center again ......it feels good.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Ghost of 97-98 Past.

More like the Ghost of 1983-optomism my dear youngling. Before your time.

24champ
01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not sold on the Elway hype, he seems upbeat but this is going to be a tough job for him. He's a legend, but this is different territory for someone like Elway who has no background in an NFL Front Office . He is inexperienced and I don't think Xanders is a quality General Manager. Broncos should have went with a better personnel type, but for whatever reason chose to stay with someone less qualified.

It's early in the offseason, and we'll have to wait and see who they bring in as Head Coach. I'm not impressed by the list of coaches the Broncos are interviewing, my guess is that it will be Mularkey, but seems that the Broncos have their hearts set on Harbaugh, who will turn down the Broncos for the 49ers job.

baja
01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
The thing I find the most encouraging is they IMO have correctly identified the problems and that is where you must start. So

First step = identify & prioritize the problems = √

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks Pat, I guess Jack Daniels isn't all that bad when it comes to helping make the "big" decisions, well played sir, please pass the burbon...

Taco John
01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm down with this. Elway knows what it takes to build a winner. He's seen it first hand.

baja
01-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm not sold on the Elway hype, he seems upbeat but this is going to be a tough job for him. He's a legend, but this is different territory for someone like Elway who has no background in an NFL Front Office . He is inexperienced and I don't think Xanders is a quality General Manager. Broncos should have went with a better personnel type, but for whatever reason chose to stay with someone less qualified.

It's early in the offseason, and we'll have to wait and see who they bring in as Head Coach. I'm not impressed by the list of coaches the Broncos are interviewing, my guess is that it will be Mularkey, but seems that the Broncos have their hearts set on Harbaugh, who will turn down the Broncos for the 49ers job.

You can chose to go this way but the truth is we have two options to pick from about a situation we have no way to know the outcome of. We can be skeptical or we can be expectant of good things coming. I'm gonna chose the later because it feels better than the other option.

broncofan2438
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Bowlen was down and out and had no decision but to bring him in for some help. Hopefully its for the best and we can finally move in the right dam direction

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm down with this. Elway knows what it takes to build a winner. He's seen it first hand.

Additionally, Elway was on hand (and screaming into the abyss) while the team was NOT getting it done as far as personnel goes. He knows what NOT to do as much as what TO do.

24champ
01-05-2011, 03:03 PM
You can chose to go this way but the truth is we have two options to pick from about a situation we have no way to know the outcome of. We can be skeptical or we can be expectant of good things coming. I'm gonna chose the later because it feels better than the other option.

My heart says it's great to see Elway back, but my mind says this isn't going to work out. I think it's a lot to ask of Elway to just waltz on the job and things will turn around at the snap of his fingers. Hopefully Bronco fans will exercise more patience than they have had over the years, because this is going to be a tough job for an inexperienced Front Office. That includes Xanders who apparently has never been a real GM up until today and we're led to believe he didn't have anything to do with the last few years.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2600895735121184835&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

baja
01-05-2011, 03:25 PM
My heart says it's great to see Elway back, but my mind says this isn't going to work out. I think it's a lot to ask of Elway to just waltz on the job and things will turn around at the snap of his fingers. Hopefully Bronco fans will exercise more patience than they have had over the years, because this is going to be a tough job for an inexperienced Front Office. That includes Xanders who apparently has never been a real GM up until today and we're led to believe he didn't have anything to do with the last few years.

I liked that John said several times that "He knew what he didn't know" and he intends to find good people to fill in the gaps for him. He did make everyone on his side of the football field better and those same qualities will be available to him going forward. We don't know all that much about Xanders but everything we hear about him is good. I am concerned about his backbone given the way Josh grabbed all the power from under his nose but Elway said he's getting his chance now.

Steve Sewell
01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Hopefully Bronco fans will exercise more patience than they have had over the years

ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!ROFL! Yeah right

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Elways job is pretty fuggen easy IMHO. If you've ever managed people (I have, thank you very little) then it's all about following up and holding people accountable. You have always be positive, always let people know you appreciate their skills and what they bring to the table, but you have to keep following up. That's all a manager does, follow up, follow up.

If you make it a point to follow up, beleive it or not, results WILL happen. You are just holding people accountable.

It ain't rocket science.

schaaf
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Denverbroncos.com needs to hurry and put the video up so I can watch the presser

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Actually, a good HC is really nothing more than the manager of the coaching staff. Of course, you have to be able to coach yourself, but what really matters is that you allow your staff to coach and then follow up with their progress.

Dedhed
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I think it's a lot to ask of Elway to just waltz on the job and things will turn around at the snap of his fingers.

That's hardly what's going on here. John has spent most of the last decade preparing for this role, and I think he's well aware that it's going to be a lot of work.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I think McD was a great coach but a lousy manager of people...

baja
01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Denverbroncos.com needs to hurry and put the video up so I can watch the presser

I hope they are not editing it.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
A good manager never tells people how to do their job (unless of course you are training the people, then of course you tell them how to do their job) they simply allow the person to do their job, and then the manager holds people accountable for results.

Be positive, give praise where praise is do but never compliment the person, ALWAYS compliment the work.

Man, I should get paid for this ****...

Que
01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks Pat, I guess Maker's Mark isn't all that bad when it comes to helping make the "big" decisions, well played sir, please pass the bourbon...

Fixed it for you. They can't call Jack bourbon cause it isn't made in Kentucky. Stupid 'huh?

SoDak Bronco
01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I can't wait to hear..This one's for Pat

Tombstone RJ
I recommend the book "The One Minute Manager" it really saved my life.

Broncojef

This move buys Bowlen and the Broncos time to rebuild the team properly. Elway more than just a football player is a winner. He is the Broncos and will restore a once proud organization that he built to where we need to be. More than anything it was great to have a leader today that believes in what he is doing and will give everything he has to make it happen. John has another mountain to climb show some confidence in the man he's always delivered for us in the past it'll be no different this time!!! Go gettem John!!

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
More like the Ghost of 1983-optomism my dear youngling. Before your time.

:approve:

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I think McD was a great coach but a lousy manager of people...

One can only wonder 'what if' had McD had a strong F/O over him and someone like Elway that could have put him in his place when he veered off track.

schaaf
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
How do you guys see this working out?

At first I was thinking they were gonna let him come in and have complete control over everything. But it is sounding more and more that everything will be through a team process. I don't see him failing like Matt Millen did. With Jordan down in Charlotte, is Charlotte ever going to be good at anything??

In my Opinion they are headed in the right direction.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
One can only wonder 'what if' had McD had a strong F/O over him and someone like Elway that could have put him in his place when he veered off track.

Yah, it's too bad it didn't work out. The good news is we have Tebow and Elway back so I guess there's a silver lining in everything...

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I have the strong sense that this is going to be a 'TEAM effort'. It wasn't a mistake that John brought up the word 'consesus' often. It's only the start, but everything is pointing to a very positive direction.

Popps
01-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Happy to have John back. Don't know how good of a football move it is, but my heart is happy to see him back with the team.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
What the players are saying:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/what-theyre-saying/

Champ Bailey:
He’s effective. His voice, his presence, that’s all you need — somebody to be positively effective in this locker room. If you can find anybody like that, John Elway might be the guy.”

“I think when you talk about (John) Elway and then (Broncos Owner and CEO) Mr. (Pat) Bowlen and (Team President) Mr. (Joe) Ellis and those guys upstairs — they are going to do what is right. … I think with Mr. Bowlen, Mr. Ellis and Elway running this team, everything will be fine.”

Tim Tebow:
“I think it would be great. I think all the players here, including myself, have a great respect for John and what he did in the NFL as one of the best quarterbacks ever. He knows this game extremely well and he is someone that understands it and knows what the players are going through and knows how to help them and everything like that. I think that players would be totally on board with that and I think it could only be a benefit.”

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM
What the players are saying:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/what-theyre-saying/

Champ Bailey:
Hes effective. His voice, his presence, thats all you need somebody to be positively effective in this locker room. If you can find anybody like that, John Elway might be the guy.

I think when you talk about (John) Elway and then (Broncos Owner and CEO) Mr. (Pat) Bowlen and (Team President) Mr. (Joe) Ellis and those guys upstairs they are going to do what is right. I think with Mr. Bowlen, Mr. Ellis and Elway running this team, everything will be fine.

Tim Tebow:
I think it would be great. I think all the players here, including myself, have a great respect for John and what he did in the NFL as one of the best quarterbacks ever. He knows this game extremely well and he is someone that understands it and knows what the players are going through and knows how to help them and everything like that. I think that players would be totally on board with that and I think it could only be a benefit.

Smooozer!:wiggle:

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Am I the only here that see's Tebow in Major Politics in the future. :)

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
A manager always has to be consistent in his or her approach. If you are a loudmouth ass, always be a loudmouth ass. After a while people know how you function as a manager and they learn to work with you.

What you never, ever want to be is inconsistent. You can't be all grins and happy one day and then be a complete ass the next. Pick one style or the other!

Management 101.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh, and I've worked with plenty of lady managers who were excellent in their consistent approach. They weren't all bitchy one moment and then happy the next.

A good manager is always the same. Balanced and steady.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
A good manager's door is always open. Your office is always open. If people have problems, your door is always open. You must be good at communication, you must be accessible.

Management 101

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
You never air out dirty laundry. If a person you manage has a problem, and they come to you with that problem, it's only between you and that person. Never, ever betray an employees trust.

Management 101

baja
01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
You never air out dirty laundry. If a person you manage has a problem, and they come to you with that problem, it's only between you and that person. Never, ever betray an employees trust.

Management 101

Is there someone that does not know that?

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
How would I boil down johns role right now?

One word:

CONSIGLIERE

but with the underboss reporting to him.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Is there someone that does not know that?

Obviously you don't watch The Office.

baja
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Obviously you don't watch The Office.

i caught a few episodes but i didn't make the connection

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I love The Office, it's a spoof on managment. They break just about ever common sense managment rule in that show!

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Am I the only here that see's Tebow in Major Politics in the future. :)

Sarah Palins' running mate during her 5th attempt in 2028?:wiggle:

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Actually, a lot of management protocol comes from the military...

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Actually, a lot of management protocol comes from the military...

But not all of that works in "the real world".

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
But not all of that works in "the real world".

tru dat

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Sarah Palins' running mate during her 5th attempt in 2028?:wiggle:

You've found the 4-hour cure for the Tebowner!Ha!

serious hops
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Elway commanding the huddle, and a reported return to the Orange jerseys in 2012? Sounds kick ass as far as it goes. We still need a solid coach and a defense, though. We do have the resources to get there, if the front office makes sound decisions. A couple of consecutive good drafts and the hiring of quality position coaches to develop those kids would go a long way toward fixing the ****ty condition of the franchise.

Broncojef
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Elway commanding the huddle, and a reported return to the Orange jerseys in 2012? Sounds kick ass as far as it goes. We still need a solid coach and a defense, though. We do have the resources to get there, if the front office makes sound decisions. A couple of consecutive good drafts and the hiring of quality position coaches to develop those kids would go a long way toward fixing the ****ty condition of the franchise.

It will be nice having Elway greet potential big name free agents at Dove Valley too!

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
If he can instill the type of work ethic which used to be part of this organization, weed out the bad apples and begin a sensible planned approach of rebuilding this Sad Sack team, it wont hurt having him with one hand on the helm.

As Rod Smith said this afternoon: " these players need to realize it's a priviledge not a right to play football". Gotta love that! He talked about his time with John and how John would NEVER miss a day of practice. He always knew John would be there when he showed up at the pratice field.

baja
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
If he can instill the type of work ethic which used to be part of this organization, weed out the bad apples and begin a sensible planned approach of rebuilding this Sad Sack team, it wont hurt having him with one hand on the helm.

As Rod Smith said this afternoon: " these players need to realize it's a priviledge not a right to play football". Gotta love that! He talked about his time with John and how John would NEVER miss a day of practice. He always knew John would be there when he showed up at the pratice field.

Looks like you're going to have to start tailgating again. ;D

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Johns video is up now
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/John-Elway-Press-Conference---Part-1/af79b952-9d91-472e-98e3-5f3aa1243389

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Ain't happening. I;m spending my money and time on other things.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM

We were all starting to go down the crazy train weren't we. I'm calling out Bowlen with chippy threads. You're wishing self pain from the raiders. TG is putting his folding chairs and BBQ up on Craigs list. On & on. We were at the point of eating each other ROFL!

It's been some dark days my friends. Darkest in team history. Who knows what will happen. But at least we're seeing some rays of hope cresting the horizon. Right now that small ray of light feels nice a warm.

It's a new beginning. It feels like a REAL beginning.

It feels good to be a Bronco fan today. :sunshine:

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
We were all starting to go down the crazy train weren't we. I'm calling out Bowlen with chippy threads. You're wishing self pain from the raiders. TG is putting his folding chairs and BBQ up on Craigs list. On & on. We were at the point of eating each other ROFL!

It's been some dark days my friends. Darkest in team history. Who knows what will happen. But at least we're seeing some rays of hope cresting the horizon. Right now that small ray of light feels nice a warm.

It's a new beginning. It feels like a REAL beginning.

It feels good to be a Bronco fan today. :sunshine:

Not all, just us "old fuggers".

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
lol... you may have a point there.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I wonder how involved he'll get with Tebow's development. Seems like it would be in each other's best interest to spend a whole bunch of time together. If I were an NFL quarterback and had access to Elway, I'd pick his brain every available chance.

baja
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Not all, just us "old fuggers".

Is that a noun?

I feel renewed today. Silly I know but I do. The word I heard from John over and over was a very good word to hear for me, it was "Consensus" I really liked how he emphasized that and also what he said about him knowing the Bronco identity and wanting to bring that back and in fact seeing it as his job one. This is very good. John is a winner and that doesn't just go away. Elway loves the Tebow spirit, that means he gets what so many of us get about Tebow, he has "It". Now we have two "It's" to build a team around. This is good stuff folks.

baja
01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I wonder how involved he'll get with Tebow's development. Seems like it would be in each other's best interest to spend a whole bunch of time together. If I were an NFL quarterback and had access to Elway, I'd pick his brain every available chance.

That seems like it would be some pretty amazing mentoring - going both directions.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Is that a noun?

I feel renewed today. Silly I know but I do. The word I heard from John over and over was a very good word to hear for me, it was "Consensus" I really liked how he emphasized that and also what he said about him knowing the Bronco identity and wanting to bring that back and in fact seeing it as his job one. This is very good. John is a winner and that doesn't just go away. Elway loves the Tebow spirit, that means he gets what so many of us get about Tebow, he has "It". Now we have two "It's" to build a team around. This is good stuff folks.

Yaeh, I've had a few emails from Bronco family and friends today that are very positive. Amazing the turn around in mood. Everyone I've talked to feels that same rush of optimism.

CEH
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
The best thing I heard today is this revolving door at DC must stop and we must get a top notch DC and build the defense up from scratch

He even said this is not a one year project it will take acouple year just to get back up to WC status

montrose
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I wasn't sold on Elway being the best guy for the job but after reading his comments, and of course tapping the emotional side of being a Broncos fan, I'm pumped #7 is back to lead a new generation of Broncos Football.

baja
01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
I wasn't sold on Elway being the best guy for the job but after reading his comments, and of course tapping the emotional side of being a Broncos fan, I'm pumped #7 is back to lead a new generation of Broncos Football.
I know what you mean. I was all prepared to scoff at this move but like you in listening to John I was blown away, he said all the right things and showed insight beyond what I expected. I am convinced this a great move by the Broncos.

SoCalBronco
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I hope it works out.......that's the nicest thing I can say. Whatever.

baja
01-05-2011, 08:54 PM

I can see why you can feel that way, all I can say So Cal is I am sorry you can't see what this can become.

Will it? I don't know but I love the potential. I feels good again.

SoCalBronco
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I can see why you can feel that way, all I can say So Cal is I am sorry you can't see what this can become.

Will it? I don't know but I love the potential. I feels good again.

It will feel good only when there are actual results to back up the symbolism.

baja
01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
It will feel good only when there are actual results to back up the symbolism.

I was prepared to feel the way you do but then I listened to what he had to say and I liked what I heard with him identifying the problems and his plan to resolving them and I was impressed. I think he has some solid ideas. It wasn't just the usual rah rah stuff. You have been asking for a plan well i thought Elway but forth a good one today.

montrose
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/persons/staff-cards/2011/xanders_brian.jpg

Bronco Yoda
01-06-2011, 01:28 PM
The Duke will be watching you http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/113/1130891/LITTLEFOCKERS_DeNiro_1288219911_640w.jpg