PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rule Change

worm
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
It will be interesting to see if this overtime rule change will be a factor in this years playoffs.

If a field goal is made on the first possession of overtime, the other team gains possession. If that team scores a touchdown, game over. If it kicks a field goal to tie, then the next team to score wins. The only way the game ends on the first possession is if that team scores a touchdown or if the defense forces a safety or returns a turnover for a score.

The decision to continue a drive and score a touchdown on the first OT possession will be huge. I like the change but would have preferred it if they would just have done it for the regular season as well. Changing the game for solely the playoffs is just silly.

Like the change or hate it?

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81d72298/article/so-long-sudden-death-playoffs-offer-new-overtime-approach

Mr.Meanie
01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Love it! It's about damn time, and I love that the NFL is not afraid to tinker with established rules.

edog24
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I am sure it will become a factor at some point. To implement this during the playoffs seems and not in preseason or regular season seems stupid to me though.

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
It makes me want to see it come into play. I'd love to see how it changes play calling in over time.

Pick Six
01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
That's going to change some strategies. Instead of preventing a score of any kind, teams can go ahead and give up the field goal and know they are getting it back. Conversely, a team who wants to end it quickly might go for it on 4th down to try and get the touchdown. Interesting...

bronco militia
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I never had a problem with sudden death, so IMO it's a waste of time

BowlenBall
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
No sir... I don't like it.

Hope to God there's no overtime games this year, and they repeal it in the offseason. It'll all be like a bad dream....

vancejohnson82
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
i hope it knocks the Jets out

Jesterhole
01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Improvement for sure. Now let's get rid of the extra point!

oubronco
01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I hope it blows up in the nfls face

Cito Pelon
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I like it.

55CrushEm
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
The interesting thing to me is this........let's say the 1st team gets a FG....now the other team has the ball.

Basically, they have 4 downs to make the 10 yards...at least until they get into FG range themselves. I.e. no punting.....so the coach has to be sure to get into the midset of "Hey, it's 3rd and 8.....I don't HAVE to pass here. 3rd and longs CAN be running downs."

Hogan11
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
It's the "Brett Farve Rule" because the NFL's then golden boy failed in his storybook season to get to the Super Bowl and it's complete and utter bullshat.

I can't support it on such grounds and hope it's shiatcanned after a season or two max.

Pony Boy
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't think it will affect us at all this year so I could care less....

Hogan11
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't think it will affect us at all this year so I could care less....

True enough, but I hate to see them toy with something that wasn't broken just because one of their signature stars crapped the bed in OT and didn't make the super bowl...boo frickin' hoo.

Despite the Broncos not making the playoffs, this year's post-season is pretty good IMHO....no Chargers, no Bengals, no Dolphins and KC & the Bears will probably get crushed in the first game they play in....what's not to love?

Boomhauer
01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Like it. Make it standard during the season as well.

chawknz
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Like it as well, until we get bit in the ass by it. :)

(When and if they implement it full time)

gunns
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
It's the "Brett Farve Rule" because the NFL's then golden boy failed in his storybook season to get to the Super Bowl and it's complete and utter bullshat.

I can't support it on such grounds and hope it's shiatcanned after a season or two max.

Agreed. Sounds like they took awhile to come up with that convoluted scenario. Glad their "golden boy" will never get to experience it and went out like the slug he always was. Hope they get rid of it, nothing wrong with the way it is. If you're good enough to get down there and score, reap the reward. If not, you're Brett Favre.

That One Guy
01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I wish they would've tested any technicalities during the regular season rather than making it playoff only. Guess I can understand not wanting to have meaningless games extend even longer outside the TV window.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Don't like it. But we'll see I guess.

Broncobiv
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
It's ridiculous. Sudden death is fine.