PDA

View Full Version : BMarsh Offensive Coordinator?

Gutless Drunk
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
brandon-marshall-admits-to-drawing-up-his-own-plays.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/01/brandon-marshall-admits-to-drawing-up-his-own-plays.html

There’s an art to the way Brandon Marshall talks because he usually manages to say SOMETHING without outright saying something.

Brandon Marshall wants Dolphins offense to be more aggressive.

The Miami Dolphins’ alpha receiver has done it all season, sending subliminal (and sometimes clear as day) messages to the media, encouraging us to read between-the-lines. That habit continued during his final weekly interview with WQAM’s Michael Irvin show this Tuesday.

Marshall hinted that he’s had issues with the Miami Dolphins’ conservative offensive play calling, especially how he was used in 2010, and some of it center on Chad Henne’s conservative approach to playing quarterback.

Marshall also outright admitted he and Tyler Thigpen, who replaced Henne against the Patriots, were improvising on a couple of occasions during Sunday’s 38-7 loss to the New England Patriots, a game where he caught five passes for 97 yards, most of which came in the second-half with Thigpen at the trigger.

Changing plays on the field led to Marshall having a heated discussion with quarterback coach David Lee, who didn’t like the fact Marshall and Thigpen were changing in-routes to go-routes based on the coverage Marshall was seeing.

One of those improvised plays drew a 32-yard penalty and set up the Dolphins’ lone touchdown. That pass interference was the second one the Dolphins’ Pro Bowl receiver drew all season, joining the one Jets linebacker Bart Scott committed in Miami’s 10-6 victory on Dec. 12th.

“We had a little discussion on the sidelines about keeping the route on,” Marshall said of his dispute with Lee, which centered on the type of press coverage New England cornerback Devin McCourty was playing him.

“They expect me to run an in-route, but me as a player, when we get singled with no safety over the top I want to take a shot and just converted it to a go….Seemed like an easier throw, easier play was the go route…. The quarterback coach was just doing his job. He didn’t know that me and Tyler were on the same page in terms of seeing the same thing out there.”

Marshall said he and Thigpen talked through the Patriots’ coverage often during the game. But sources tell me they changed some of Marshall’s routes in the huddle before looking at New England’s defense.

“I’m 6-5, 230 and have a rookie cornerback that’s 5-10, maybe 190 pounds in front of me. Just throw it up. You see what happened,” Marshall said, referring to the 35-yard catch he made on an improvised route. “That’s the type of play that my game has been missing all year, being able to threaten somebody deep when it’s one-on-one, no matter if they are running with me side-by-side or if I got a step or two. I look at it as if I’m open.

“When there’s press coverage outside and single safety (high) in the past taking a shot has always worked out pretty good, in my favor,” said Marshall, who finished 2010 with 86 receptions for 1,014 yards and three touchdowns. “That’s something I’ve been trying to get called all year….Trying to get them to understand if I’m covered I’m not covered.”

When asked if he favors Thigpen over Henne, whom he expressed doubts about last week for the first time all season, Marshall confronted the show’s co-host, warned he’d always “kept it real” with the show, then said: “I like whoever is getting the job done.

“Tyler gets it a little more,” Marshall said when asked a follow up question about the two quarterbacks. ”We had an opportunity to make three big plays. We made an amazing play on one of them, had a pass interference on the other, and the other one I just dropped. We really had an opportunity to go 3-for-3.

“It’s a look that I’ve been trying to communicate with the quarterbacks all year and we finally get it the last game and show what we’re capable of doing,” Marshall said. “Tyler gets it. He had an opportunity to play with Dwayne Bowe in Kansas City and they made some plays out there so I guess he understands [about] throwing the ball to a big receiver a little more than Chad Henne. But Chad has done some great things for us this year. He’s a smart, intelligent guy. The way he plays the game is he does…goes exactly through his reads.”

So, to translate it, Marshall subliminally called Henne a Robot.

“No matter the situation or the match up, it doesn’t matter that I’m 6-5, 230 against a rookie corner who is 5-8, 5-9,” Marshall said of Henne’s by-the-book style.

“We may have a discussion where we’re too safe as an offense at certain positions. I’ll take my chance in the game,” Marshall said. “We make three big plays, three conversions and then you get to the sidelines and there’s some conflict there because they don’t like it.

“If I would have caught that third one it probably still would have been a debate,” Marshall said. “We just have to get on the same page.”

Based on this season’s offensive production, and Marshall’s recent comments, it’s very clear the Dolphins weren’t in 2010.

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Baby TO indeed.

PRBronco
01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Why did I picture crayons as soon as I read "Brandon Marshall drawing"?

Man-Goblin
01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
So glad he's gone.

go_broncos
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Can we bring him as an OC?

cmhargrove
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Although i'll have to say, the Dolphins passing game was pretty uninspiring...

BroncosMT
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Baby TO indeed.

Agreed

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
I am so glad we got rid of him.

JJG
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Can we bring him as an OC?

I heard he has the job locked up.

Dedhed
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Baby TO indeed.

Another year with Henne, and this guy is going to go full blown TO.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
The phins have underachieved but they have underachieved in the toughest division in the NFL. This was a meaningless game with the second string QB playing under center. If Bmarsh was doing this in a playoff game, then it's a bad situation. However, at the end of the year with nothing on the line, I'm not so sure this is a big deal.

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I'll just quote a certain person I respect that was near the Broncos while he was here:

"Brandon Marshall is one of the worst human's I have ever met"....

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I'll just quote a certain person I respect that was near the Broncos while he was here:

"Brandon Marshall is one of the worst human's I have ever met"....

I have stories...

Mile High Shack
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I have stories...

don't hold back, he's not longer a bronco lol

it wouldn't shock me to find out he's a big POS, I pretty much assume the worst with him

I am kinda shocked, him leaving in Miami Beach, he hasn't already been caught with a gang-o-coke and doing a donkey in a hotel room or something

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I have stories...

do tell.....

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
How about instead I leak something nice and let you know there are a few Broncos who help run a soup kitchen in town for the homeless and keep it on the down-low.

Man-Goblin
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I heard Brandon Marshall is adamantly against soup for the homeless.

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
How about instead I leak something nice and let you know there are a few Broncos who help run a soup kitchen in town for the homeless and keep it on the down-low.

that screams Eddie Royal...

I want Marshall dirt dammit!

Don't make me have Kuper force it out of you.

Rascal
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
don't hold back, he's not longer a bronco lol

it wouldn't shock me to find out he's a big POS, I pretty much assume the worst with him

I am kinda shocked, him leaving in Miami Beach, he hasn't already been caught with a gang-o-coke and doing a donkey in a hotel room or something

At least we know what you would be doing in his situation.

bfoflcommish
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
The phins have underachieved but they have underachieved in the toughest division in the NFL. This was a meaningless game with the second string QB playing under center. If Bmarsh was doing this in a playoff game, then it's a bad situation. However, at the end of the year with nothing on the line, I'm not so sure this is a big deal.

you dont think that a player, who has had known team defiance tendencies prior, now calling his own plays on another team is a big deal, just because its a meaningless game?

PRBronco
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh also, oh em gee, McPoopy traded away our pro bowlars!1

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
you dont think that a player, who has had known team defiance tendencies prior, now calling his own plays on another team is a big deal, just because its a meaningless game?

fact is, I don't care. Bmarsh is Miami's problem now. I'm just saying that looking at the big picture, the timing of what Bmarsh and Thigpen did (don't forget it takes two to tango) is probably not a big deal.

Also, none of us are privy to how things work on an NFL sideline. For all we know, this is not all that uncommon among players. I'm thinking OchoDinko and TO did a little bit of this same kind of stuff on their sideline. Again, it's all about the timing of said events and the ramifications of the game.

If I'm Miami's front office does this concern me, yah. But I'm not gonna make a mountain out of a mole hill.

oubronco
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
At least he knows you need to be aggressive

jhns
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I would have loved to see this offense with Marshall, Lloyd, and Royal. Marshall and Lloyd would complement each other perfectly.

bowtown
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I would have loved to see this offense with Marshall, Lloyd, and Royal. Marshall and Lloyd would complement each other perfectly.

Lloyd would never have been given the chance to shine if Marshall were still around.

jhns
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Lloyd would never have been given the chance to shine if Marshall were still around.

Maybe. McDaniels seemed to like Gaffney a lot more. That doesn't change the fact that they could be great together (at least in my imaginary world). A big physical possession receiver and a great, circus catch making, deep threat. They are what my dream 1-2 would be.

DivineBronco
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe. McDaniels seemed to like Gaffney a lot more. That doesn't change the fact that they could be great together (at least in my imaginary world). A big physical possession receiver and a great, circus catch making, deep threat. They are what my dream 1-2 would be.

the problem there is the NFL isn't a madden video game....you have to consider the human being not just the talent...and B-Marsh is a selfish boderline Sociopath

ColoradoDarin
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Wow, no one goes for the "Not OC, Brandon should be a Special Teams coach with his punting abilities!"?

Slackers.

jhns
01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
the problem there is the NFL isn't a madden video game....you have to consider the human being not just the talent...and B-Marsh is a selfish boderline Sociopath

Personality doesn't change production. Sorry. Big Ben rapes chicks but still wins SBs. Marshall doesn't have good character but it is still better than many other great players character. That doesn't make them bad players. I don't see why I should care. These are NFL teams, not a place for you to find a date.

listopencil
01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Honestly, if the QB and the WR see something in the coverage that they can exploit then I think they should go for it. When you have two guys playing those two positions and they are on the same page...seems like that's what they are supposed to do.

Now throw in the "personalities" involved:

1) QB is a back up. Doesn't get much time to prove he can play. This is his chance to show what he can do. It's a good decision for him.

2) WR is playing to his strengths. Hasn't been able to do that in this Offense. Probably has felt like he has been held back from conservative play calling. Ended up making two out of three possible big plays. It's a good decision for him.

Now the situation: It's a meaningless game. They were getting their asses kicked so it's not like they were risking anything.

It's a win-win situation, this should have been a feel good story for Dolphin fans. Denver fans? Not obliged to give a rat's ass about any of this.

sutoazul
01-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Everyone here in Miami have mixed feellings about this douche!! He had big #s this year but when the games counted he was non-existant, dropping balls all over the field. I'm glad he's not in our team anymore.

TailgateNut
01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Honestly, if the QB and the WR see something in the coverage that they can exploit then I think they should go for it. When you have two guys playing those two positions and they are on the same page...seems like that's what they are supposed to do.

Now throw in the "personalities" involved:

1) QB is a back up. Doesn't get much time to prove he can play. This is his chance to show what he can do. It's a good decision for him.

2) WR is playing to his strengths. Hasn't been able to do that in this Offense. Probably has felt like he has been held back from conservative play calling. Ended up making two out of three possible big plays. It's a good decision for him.

Now the situation: It's a meaningless game. They were getting their asses kicked so it's not like they were risking anything.

It's a win-win situation, this should have been a feel good story for Dolphin fans. Denver fans? Not obliged to give a rat's ass about any of this.

Aside from being elated that this assclown isn't here anymore.

Boomhauer
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
brandon-marshall-admits-to-drawing-up-his-own-plays.
Marshall also outright admitted he and Tyler Thigpen, who replaced Henne against the Patriots, were improvising on a couple of occasions during Sunday’s 38-7 loss to the New England Patriots, a game where he caught five passes for 97 yards, most of which came in the second-half with Thigpen at the trigger.

Changing plays on the field led to Marshall having a heated discussion with quarterback coach David Lee, who didn’t like the fact Marshall and Thigpen were changing in-routes to go-routes based on the coverage Marshall was seeing.
“They expect me to run an in-route, but me as a player, when we get singled with no safety over the top I want to take a shot and just converted it to a go….Seemed like an easier throw, easier play was the go route…. The quarterback coach was just doing his job. He didn’t know that me and Tyler were on the same page in terms of seeing the same thing out there.”
When asked if he favors Thigpen over Henne, whom he expressed doubts about last week for the first time all season, Marshall confronted the show’s co-host, warned he’d always “kept it real” with the show, then said: “I like whoever is getting the job done.

“Tyler gets it a little more,” Marshall said when asked a follow up question about the two quarterbacks. ”We had an opportunity to make three big plays. We made an amazing play on one of them, had a pass interference on the other, and the other one I just dropped. We really had an opportunity to go 3-for-3.

“It’s a look that I’ve been trying to communicate with the quarterbacks all year and we finally get it the last game and show what we’re capable of doing,” Marshall said. “... But Chad has done some great things for us this year. He’s a smart, intelligent guy. The way he plays the game is he does…goes exactly through his reads.” So, to translate it, Marshall subliminally called Henne a Robot.

Two big points:
a) Players have to trust the coaches know what they're doing and, even if a few plays don't make sense, there's a plan to set up the defense or control the clock.
b) If it takes players on the field disregarding the coaches calls to teach the coaches how to read defenses and what plays make for an effective offense, than those coaches should not have jobs.

Judging how little Marshall, one of the elite WRs in the game, was used this season and how abandoning 'the system', including the QB grromed for it, lead to better results, I'd have to side with Marshall on this. Those coaches don't have a clue and shouldn't have a job.

A parallel can be draw to Tebow's play and our crap Offense(why not). The only time Tebow's been effective is on broken plays and checkdowns. The system he was playing in clearly doesn't work, as proven by the record of his robotic predecesor (Orton aka Henne), and over the last few games we probably would done better if Tebow called the plays himself just like Thigpen.

extralife
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
you guys are a little nuts. he's not "drawing up plays," he was talking with his QB during the game in order to make adjustments based on what the opposition was doing. you know, like players should be doing.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Pay him now!!!!!

Drek
01-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Judging how little Marshall, one of the elite WRs in the game, was used this season and how abandoning 'the system', including the QB grromed for it, lead to better results, I'd have to side with Marshall on this. Those coaches don't have a clue and shouldn't have a job.

The Dolphins lost 38-7 when Brandon decided he could call plays better than the coaches. How exactly did "abandoning 'the system'" lead to better results for anyone but Brandon? And aren't those improved results for Brandon almost entirely because he and the QB agreed before even lining up that he'd go deep and Thigpen would just chuck it up to him?

Kinda makes it easy for a WR to show some good numbers when he's just got to catch one or two go routes out of the half dozen thrown his way to look productive.

Mr. Elway
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
The only time Tebow's been effective is on broken plays and checkdowns. The system he was playing in clearly doesn't work, as proven by the record of his robotic predecesor (Orton aka Henne), and over the last few games we probably would done better if Tebow called the plays himself just like Thigpen.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion. Are you saying that the deep balls Tebow connected on in the second half vs. Houston were not designed plays? What about the screens to Buckhalter?

I think it's fair to say that Tebow has been successful on some broken plays, such as the TD run at Oakland. He's also been effective checking down in some cases. But I think MOST of the plays he's had success on were designed plays.

strafen
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Pay him now!!!!!ROFL!Ha!

Baba Booey
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
This is one thing McDaniels got right.

Guy is a joke.

Lolad
01-05-2011, 07:23 PM
The Dolphins lost 38-7 when Brandon decided he could call plays better than the coaches. How exactly did "abandoning 'the system'" lead to better results for anyone but Brandon? And aren't those improved results for Brandon almost entirely because he and the QB agreed before even lining up that he'd go deep and Thigpen would just chuck it up to him?

Kinda makes it easy for a WR to show some good numbers when he's just got to catch one or two go routes out of the half dozen thrown his way to look productive.

some of you have an obvious bias just because you don't like the guy. Thigpen came in the game the 2nd half they were already being blown out. On a couple of videos last year Marshall was doing the exact same thing with Orton. If you have no coverage over top any QB would trust his WR to come down with the ball. This is nothing new, but a few here are blowing it all out of proportion like he was reinventing the wheel.

footstepsfrom#27
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Baby TO indeed.
He's earning his TO Jr. stripes with this one.

Drek
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
some of you have an obvious bias just because you don't like the guy. Thigpen came in the game the 2nd half they were already being blown out. On a couple of videos last year Marshall was doing the exact same thing with Orton. If you have no coverage over top any QB would trust his WR to come down with the ball. This is nothing new, but a few here are blowing it all out of proportion like he was reinventing the wheel.

I didn't say it wasn't stupid for Miami to trade for Marshall and then try to play him like nothing more than a possession WR.

Just pointing out the fact that the quoted post was off the mark for suggesting the team's offense flared to life with Marshall and Thigpen changing **** up. They still got smoke showed.

I like Marshall actually. I've been a consistent supporter of his around here. He needs to grow up but he's a very talented WR. However, this year is his first run in with a team that isn't willing to tailor the entire passing game around getting him the ball. Doesn't seem like something he much cares for.