PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell and Gregg Williams to interview for HC

montrose
01-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Broncos officials will travel to Atlanta to interview Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey on Friday. In addition, the Broncos are looking to line up interviews with two defensive coordinators, Gregg Williams of the New Orleans Saints and Perry Fewell of the New York Giants, according to John Elway, who will be announced today as the team's vice president of football operations.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17012481

extralife
01-05-2011, 01:12 AM
But I don't want any of those guys.

It's really starting to look like Cowher and Chucky are done, isn't it?

Ratboy
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Broncos officials will travel to Atlanta to interview Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey on Friday. In addition, the Broncos are looking to line up interviews with two defensive coordinators, Gregg Williams of the New Orleans Saints and Perry Fewell of the New York Giants, according to John Elway, who will be announced today as the team's vice president of football operations.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17012481

Strong candidates... /sarcasm

KevinJames
01-05-2011, 01:30 AM
both of these would be terrible hiresROFL!

Baba Booey
01-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Fewell knocks out the Rooney rule.

Williams? We'll see. I think there are better defensive HC candidates though.

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 02:17 AM
This is good. We're actually interviewing a good number of people rather than rushing through it so we can hire the guy we've already arbitrarily decided on. That approach didn't work out so well last time.

By the way, Fewell seems like a solid candidate to me...

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 02:28 AM
But I don't want any of those guys.

It's really starting to look like Cowher and Chucky are done, isn't it?

They were never an option. Gruden makes a ton in TV and is looking for the perfect job. Cowher supposedly has a list of 3 teams and Broncos were not on it.

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 02:31 AM
You don't know for sure what jobs the guys are interviewing for. Sometimes guys do move laterally like Nolan from Denver to Miami. You might interview a guy just to pick his brain with no intention of offering him the head coaching spot.

We are all opinionated and I guess we sort of know football. But lets not go thinking any of these guys get where they are because they stink. Buffalo was a tough place to try and build a team and Mularky didn't get it done. But then he went back and has had some success grooming Ryan. He sort of fits the mold of someone who has learned, paid some dues, had time to reflect, and now maybe could get another shot.

Mcdaniels will be in same boat someday after he takes an OC job for a couple yrs.

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 02:32 AM

Studs takes care of that. I would think it's safe to say Fewell is a serious candidate.

AmericanBroncFan
01-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Studs takes care of that. I would think it's safe to say Fewell is a serious candidate.

Did the Vikings have to interview a White guy before hiring Frazier? It would only be fair!

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 02:43 AM
Did the Vikings have to interview a White guy before hiring Frazier? It would only be fair!

Seeing as that's not how the Rooney rule is worded, no. White coaches aren't a minority amongst HCs after all.

AmericanBroncFan
01-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Seeing as that's not how the Rooney rule is worded, no. White coaches aren't a minority amongst HCs after all.

Oh it's one of those SCREW THE WHITE MAN RULES. Oh well thats the world we live in today.

Hotwheelz
01-05-2011, 02:56 AM
oh it's one of those screw the white man rules. Oh well thats the world we live in today.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

meangene
01-05-2011, 02:58 AM
I'm just happy Fossil is not on the list!

Traveler
01-05-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm just happy Fossil is not on the list!

Yet....

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 03:04 AM
Oh it's one of those SCREW THE WHITE MAN RULES. Oh well thats the world we live in today.

I tend to think it's a bit patronizing, but seeing as black players are a large majority while black head coaches have long been a small minority, I don't find myself feeling too bad for the white man.

frerottenextelway
01-05-2011, 03:40 AM
I like both options more than Mularkey, and Fewell is no doubt a top candidate.

AmericanBroncFan
01-05-2011, 03:40 AM
I tend to think it's a bit patronizing, but seeing as black players are a large majority while black head coaches have long been a small minority, I don't find myself feeling too bad for the white man.

Well Wheres the Mexican coaches at? We have more Mexican players players than ever beofre. Shouldn't every team have to interview a Mexican now too? LOL I know the equal oppurtunity thing is not really equal anything but come on. Where is the common sense in these rules?

Jetmeck
01-05-2011, 04:09 AM

Just hire the best coach, period...............

SoDak Bronco
01-05-2011, 04:13 AM
My prediction of Perry Fewell is looking like more of a possibility. I still think we might be laying in the weeds for some other coach.

BMarsh615
01-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Dear God no.

NUB
01-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Well Wheres the Mexican coaches at? We have more Mexican players players than ever beofre. Shouldn't every team have to interview a Mexican now too? LOL I know the equal oppurtunity thing is not really equal anything but come on. Where is the common sense in these rules?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TG4f9zR5yzY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TG4f9zR5yzY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

baja
01-05-2011, 05:26 AM

I would imagine being the guy interviewed solely to fulfill the Rooney Rule requirements doesn't feel so hot about the Charade. It would be insulting being interviewed knowing they are doing it just because you have black skin.

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 05:27 AM
So much for the local media's belief this will all be about nostalgia. Not one candidate has come in for an interview who is a "nostalgic" selection.

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TG4f9zR5yzY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TG4f9zR5yzY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

funny....they just played this clip on Opie and Anthony.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Tony Sparano is still the Miami Dolphins' coach, but the Miami Herald reported early Wednesday morning that the team has reached out to former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher and current Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5990527

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-05-2011, 05:39 AM
No harm in interviewing a number of guy. If anything, you're doing your due diligence and getting a review and outlook of your team from these other guys. Really let's you know what state you're in.

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't supportive of these candidates. They fit many of the criteria that people around here have been insisting is important.

Defensive background.
Worked under Super Bowl head coaches.
Been a head coach before and then went back to being a coordinator.

Gregg Williams, while not my first choice, is a solid candidate. His defenses have been good more than bad and he's been doing a great job in New Orleans with a shiny SB ring to show for it.

Perry Fewell learned under Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron and Coughlin. That's a great pedigree if you're concerned about your team getting soft.

There will be more, too. However you could do worse than this list. What I find odd is including Mularkey, all three candidates have been the head coach of Buffalo. Odd.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't supportive of these candidates.

Me too, and that fact that they are shows that they're clueless. These guys are legit candidates who will be interviewed and considered by multiple teams.

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Me too, and that fact that they are shows that they're clueless. These guys are legit candidates who will be interviewed and considered by multiple teams.

It's not the usual candidates. They want the only available coaches they know and anyone else that isn't "OMG GRUDEN AN COWHERRRRRR!!!!!11!!!" is not good enough.

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm glad to see them taking their time and doing interviews. Good way to pick up lots of info. Make a well studied, well thought-out selection. Gregg Williams works for me. I want D.

strafen
01-05-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm sure we can do better than that.
Let's hope this is not the end of the line...

TonyR
01-05-2011, 06:12 AM
It's not the usual candidates. They want the only available coaches they know and anyone else that isn't "OMG GRUDEN AN COWHERRRRRR!!!!!11!!!" is not good enough.

Yup. People need to step back and consider the last two Super Bowls were won by guys who were relative "no names" when they took their respective jobs, Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin. And tsi posted a good stat yesterday that something like 9 of the last 13 Super Bowls were won by coaches on their second head coaching stints.

tsiguy96
01-05-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't supportive of these candidates. They fit many of the criteria that people around here have been insisting is important.

Defensive background.

Gregg Williams, while not my first choice, is a solid candidate. His defenses have been good more than bad and he's been doing a great job in New Orleans with a shiny SB ring to show for it.

Perry Fewell learned under Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron and Coughlin. That's a great pedigree if you're concerned about your team getting soft.

There will be more, too. However you could do worse than this list. What I find odd is including Mularkey, all three candidates have been the head coach of Buffalo. Odd.

its the same people who arent supportive of anything the team does. its not a coincidence, they just always find some reason to hate the team or the decisions it makes, its odd.

bowtown
01-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Really like all three of these. Fewell is my least favorite of the three, only because I think the jury is still out on that Giant's D this year (some weeks they look unstoppable, others they are swiss cheese). I'd be happy giving either Mularky or Willimas another head coaching shot though. Both have returned to coordinator positions and put in some serious time on winning teams with great head coaches. I'd think both are primed for another shot.

bowtown
01-05-2011, 06:19 AM

I also love how when Kubiak was being mentioned all we heard was "most Super Bowl winning coaches don't do it until their second or third stop." And now it's only "those guys were terrible head coaches the first time. Don't want." They should just be saying "I know little to nothing about that coach other than what I just googled, so I'm not interested."

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Yup. People need to step back and consider the last two Super Bowls were won by guys who were relative "no names" when they took their respective jobs, Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin. And tsi posted a good stat yesterday that something like 9 of the last 13 Super Bowls were won by coaches on their second head coaching stints.

Mike Tomlin has to be considered an anomaly, he took over a super bowl caliber team with a hall of fame defensive coordinator. Payton has done very well, he was lucky to snare Brees, but has build a very solid contending team on modern principles.

2 data points do not make a trend, but in this day and age of quick coach turnover, there will be the nature of things not be a whole lot of desirable candidates with experience, so many teams are by want or need forced to go with an inexperienced candidate, especially given the lack of success many NCAA coaches have had in picking up the pro game.

tsiguy96
01-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Mike Tomlin has to be considered an anomaly, he took over a super bowl caliber team with a hall of fame defensive coordinator. Payton has done very well, he was lucky to snare Brees, but has build a very solid contending team on modern principles.

2 data points do not make a trend, but in this day and age of quick coach turnover, there will be the nature of things not be a whole lot of desirable candidates with experience, so many teams are by want or need forced to go with an inexperienced candidate, especially given the lack of success many NCAA coaches have had in picking up the pro game.

9 of 13 is not 2 data points, its pure and simple truth. guys typically do better on their 2nd round than first round as HC

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 06:23 AM
I also love how when Kubiak was being mentioned all we heard was "most Super Bowl winning coaches don't do it until their second or third stop." And now it's only "those guys were terrible head coaches the first time. Don't want." They should just be saying "I know little to nothing about that coach other than what I just googled, so I'm not interested."

I've talked about this before, but the reason head coaches do better in their second stint as head coach isn't just because it's their second stint. All of the ones that did well spent a few years back as a coordinator where they observed and re-learned what they didn't know the first time. Kubiak going straight from one job to another would afford him no such learning experience and so the result would be the same.

Gruden and Shula are the only guys I can think of that went straight from one HC job to another and did well, and they were successful with their first teams, so they aren't really great examples anyway.

Binkythefrog
01-05-2011, 06:34 AM
9 of 13 is not 2 data points, its pure and simple truth. guys typically do better on their 2nd round than first round as HC

Agreed. Also remember Elway citing the difference between hiring an offensive coordinator vs a defensive coordinator. There isn't a big difference in terms of overall success.

The hype about Gruden and Cowher is interesting, given that Shannahan and Joe Gibbs (2005 - 5-11, 2006 - 9-7) who both came back after extended periods of absence didn't fare great. Also, when Parcells came back, he did ok, but not great going 6-10, 9-7, 9-7 in his last three seasons. It just seems that taking time away from the game only hurts coaching ability.

meangene
01-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Really like all three of these. Fewell is my least favorite of the three, only because I think the jury is still out on that Giant's D this year (some weeks they look unstoppable, others they are swiss cheese). I'd be happy giving either Mularky or Willimas another head coaching shot though. Both have returned to coordinator positions and put in some serious time on winning teams with great head coaches. I'd think both are primed for another shot.

I agree on Fewell. The Giants D was nothing if not inconsistent, and, they had some pretty good players up front.

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 06:52 AM

Defensive background.

I'll be pissed if he is here. Dude is a back stabbing coach. Tried to undermine Gibbs in DC, Del Rio in Jacksonville, etc...

edog24
01-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Geez I agree that we need to interview a lot of people, but I hope we are just getting warmed up. I don't recall the Saints D being all that great, and the Giants D has a boatload of talent but is inconsistent. If this is all we have to choose from, then color me unimpressed.

boppool
01-05-2011, 06:55 AM
I've talked about this before, but the reason head coaches do better in their second stint as head coach isn't just because it's their second stint. All of the ones that did well spent a few years back as a coordinator where they observed and re-learned what they didn't know the first time. Kubiak going straight from one job to another would afford him no such learning experience and so the result would be the same.

Gruden and Shula are the only guys I can think of that went straight from one HC job to another and did well, and they were successful with their first teams, so they aren't really great examples anyway.

That Tony Dungy guy did pretty well himself.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Over the last 10 years, 8 coaches have won the super bowl, 4 of them did in their 1st stint as head coach. In the last 10 years, 10 coaches have lost the super bowl, only 2 of them in their 2nd stint, 8 in their first.

Over the last 10 years, 17 head coaches have been in the super bowl (Bellichick has been in 4) and 5 of the 17 were in their 2nd stint, 12 were in their first.

:sunshine:

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
That Tony Dungy guy did pretty well himself.

Dungy won with Mora's team!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McDman
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM

I actually like Fewell. The Giants' D line has been great the last few years. Of course who knows if he can be a head coach.

I also wouldn't mind Fassel. He's done good things with QBs in the past.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson and Dick Vermeil? and to some extend Marv Levy who had 4 head coaching gigs in a row ending up in Buffalo.

lostknight
01-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Mike Nolan Please?

Kaylore
01-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson and Dick Vermeil? and to some extend Marv Levy who had 4 head coaching gigs in a row ending up in Buffalo.

Those aren't really what we're talking about. We're talking about coaches who we never NFL coaches, who become head coaches their first time, fail, and then become head coaches again their second go around. None of those above really meet the criteria. Being a college head coach, being a previously successful coach, and so forth aren't what people were considering. In face previously SB head coaches rarely make it back to the SB and none has ever won.

bowtown
01-05-2011, 07:05 AM
I actually like Fewell. The Giants' D line has been great the last few years. Of course who knows if he can be a head coach.

I also wouldn't mind Fassel. He's done good things with QBs in the past.

Fewell has only been with the Giants this year. Last year their defense sucked and the year before it was under Spags.

boppool
01-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Dungy won with Mora's team!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure... Had Dungy not been hired, Mora would've won it, right?
According to your logic, how come Caldwell hasn't won it with Dungy's team yet?

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Sure... Had Dungy not been hired, Mora would've won it, right?
According to your logic, how come Caldwell hasn't won it with Dungy's team yet?

sarcasm....just for the fact that is what everyone says when someone brings up Gruden's win.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't recall the Saints D being all that great...

4th in yards and 7th in scoring. I'd say that's pretty damn good myself.

bowtown
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
4th in yards and 7th in scoring. I'd say that's pretty damn good myself.

And IMO they play above their talent level.

uplink
01-05-2011, 07:18 AM
What I find odd is including Mularkey, all three candidates have been the head coach of Buffalo. Odd.

No problem, lets us narrow down the remaining interviewees:
Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, Marv Levy

Mile High Shack
01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Maybe Elway and Xanders aren't so dumb and here is a crazy thought - maybe they actually know what they are doing??

wow, I know, it's hard to believe

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Maybe Elway and Xanders aren't so dumb and here is a crazy thought - maybe they actually know what they are doing??

wow, I know, it's hard to believe

then what would people argue about?

1. If Clady should be flipped to "RT" to protect Tebow's blind side
2. If DJ should be moved from MLB to WLB
3. If Larsen should be moved back to MLB
4. If XXXX should be fired because of XXXXX

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Spot on, as usual.

Mularkey is intriguing, and I like how he's helped to develop Ryan in ATL. But I was hoping for more defense, and I'd like to see Nolan on this list.

Hogan11
Bills fans are laughing hard at us right now...think about that for a moment.

Gcver2ver3

Williams? We'll see. I think there are better defensive HC candidates though.

i would like to assume they're not interviewing Fewell for the Rooney rule but actually because he's a good coaching candidate...

not that i think you meant it that way...

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 07:24 AM

30 other teams in the league are laughing at us right now....

PRBronco
01-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Nice try. Everyone knows the Bills no longer have fans.

Hogan11
01-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Nice try. Everyone knows the Bills no longer have fans.

I only wish that were true....but unfortunately, it's not. Few are as unbearable as a Bills fan with something to go on.

BroncosMT
01-05-2011, 07:27 AM
I am not sold on Williams, I could be very wrong, but if I recall in Buffalo and Washington the D's werent that good and his gig in Washington was a joke! As far as Fewell the inconsitecy scares me a little as he had some pretty good players on that D.

HooptyHoops
01-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Aren't Williams and Fewell 4-3 guys?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-05-2011, 07:43 AM

I thought about it, but kept getting hit in the face by deep fried pork products and spittle. Disgusting (and depressing), those Bills fans.

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 07:43 AM

yes....

They believe in bringing pressure with the front 4 and then scheming blitzes from random folks in the back 7.

Williams is far superior but is a class A jack hole.

HooptyHoops
01-05-2011, 07:47 AM
yes....

They believe in bringing pressure with the front 4 and then scheming blitzes from random folks in the back 7.

Williams is far superior but is a class A jack hole.

More than A jack hole than Mc Daniels? I actually like that we were running a 3-4, but if they have ties and can bring our D to something that is in the top 15, I believe we can win a lot of games!

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Yeah, and you make an interesting observation. I'm surprised it took so long to point this out.

I'd prefer Nolan but I wouldn't mind Fewell or Williams.

No thanks on Mularkey.

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 07:49 AM
30 other teams in the league are laughing at us right now....

Carolina fan looks up to us. ;D

meangene
01-05-2011, 07:50 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Why isn't Rivera on the list if we are looking for successful defensive coordinators? He has run both 4-3 defenses and 3-4 defenses, knows our personnel and the AFC West well, and, hiring him hurts the Chuggers.

Que
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
mike nolan please?

+1

BroncosMT
01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
So if they both run 4-3 defenses and we basically ovehauled for the 3-4 we are going to be in transition more???? Just doesn't make sense to me

ghostofjosh
01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Fassel is an elway favorite...whats with the hate for him..hes a winner,hes not my 1st choice,but I think we can do alot worse

HooptyHoops
01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Why isn't Rivera on the list if we are looking for successful defensive coordinators? He has run both 4-3 defenses and 3-4 defenses, knows our personnel and the AFC West well, and, hiring him hurts the Chuggers.

Totally agree with this!

TonyR
01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
So if they both run 4-3 defenses and we basically ovehauled for the 3-4 we are going to be in transition more???? Just doesn't make sense to me

As awful as our defense is I wouldn't concern yourself with scheme. We'd probably be better off personnel wise switching back to 4-3 anyway.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 08:01 AM
As awful as our defense is I wouldn't concern yourself with scheme. We'd probably be better off personnel wise switching back to 4-3 anyway.

That would give us the most expensive 3rd down pass rusher in the history of football.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 08:04 AM
That would give us the most expensive 3rd down pass rusher in the history of football.

Doom is the main consideration that goes against going 4-3, but he could play DE in the 4-3 if he had to. I think 4-3 would benefit Ayers and there is probably more 4-3 talent in the draft. We have to rebuild the D either way and I wouldn't let Doom dictate the direction we go. His all around ability is overrated anyway.

Dutch
01-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Spot on. I will say that after watching what Williams "D" did to Atlanta on MNF, he might be the better choice. Williams has done a real nice job with the talent he had to work with at NO. I think the same can be said for his tours with the Bills (his D always seemed to play hard and keep them in it until the O just let them down), and with the Redskins (it is the Redskins....enough said). One thing Williams was criticized for at the Bills was his overly concervative offense. I would think that working with Sean Peyton will have had an impact there.

Dutch
01-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Doom is the main consideration that goes against going 4-3, but he could play DE in the 4-3 if he had to. I think 4-3 would benefit Ayers and there is probably more 4-3 talent in the draft. We have to rebuild the D either way and I wouldn't let Doom dictate the direction we go. His all around ability is overrated anyway.

Interesting take. I think that Doom might be better in the 4-3 if we had some true push from the DT's. There certainly is more 4-3 talent at DT at the top of this draft.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Interesting take.

And to be clear, I'm not necessarily advocating we move to the 4-3. But at the same time I wouldn't let the D scheme be a factor in choosing a coach, and I wouldn't let Doom be a deciding factor in choosing a scheme. Hire a coach, let the coach be heavily involved with hiring a staff including DC and OC, and go from there. If they choose a 4-3 guy so be it.

Dutch
01-05-2011, 08:15 AM

I don't know about that. I guess the optimist in me thinks of it as more of a Mathis/Freeney deal with Ayers/Doom. Last time Doom played 4-3 end he didn't have Ayers on the other end or anyone in the middle demanding double teams. With the right draft choices, that could change things in a big way.

meangene
01-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Either way, Rivera should be on the list.

ColoradoBuff
01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd be very happy with Perry Fewell!

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree with meangene. I sure hope they interview Rivera.

BroncosMT
01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I'd be very happy with Perry Fewell!

Just out of curiosity why is that? I don't know much about him other than the D coordinator for the G men....would like to hear your take

PRBronco
01-05-2011, 08:28 AM

From Ted Bartlett at http://onemanfootball.com/

"Defensively, the existing front-seven personnel that you’d want to keep actually lends itself better to a 40-front than it does the 30-front the Broncos have been trying to play. Some of you are shaking your heads, but think about this. Elvis Dumervil was a 4-3 DE his whole life, and most of his sacks have come from rushing the passer with his hand on the ground, even in 2009. He’s a pass-rusher, not a blitzer. (Clay Matthews is a blitzer.) Robert Ayers is a natural strongside DE in an even front. That’s what he did in college, and I’m certain that he’d look better given a chance to do it again. Jason Hunter was always a 4-3 guy before this season, too. Marcus Thomas is a natural one-gap DT, and he’s been asked to play a lot of two-gap stuff the last couple years. Justin Bannan comes from a hybrid scheme in Baltimore, and he can play well in any spot on the DL, from 5-technique to 5-technique. "

TonyR
01-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Either way, Rivera should be on the list.

Oh I agree 100%.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 08:32 AM

"Defensively, the existing front-seven personnel that you’d want to keep actually lends itself better to a 40-front than it does the 30-front the Broncos have been trying to play.

Yup. Plus it appears the draft favors 4-3 talent. So nobody with their eyes open should be adamantly opposed to going 4-3.

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 08:35 AM

"Defensively, the existing front-seven personnel that you’d want to keep actually lends itself better to a 40-front than it does the 30-front the Broncos have been trying to play. Some of you are shaking your heads, but think about this. Elvis Dumervil was a 4-3 DE his whole life, and most of his sacks have come from rushing the passer with his hand on the ground, even in 2009. He’s a pass-rusher, not a blitzer. (Clay Matthews is a blitzer.) Robert Ayers is a natural strongside DE in an even front. That’s what he did in college, and I’m certain that he’d look better given a chance to do it again. Jason Hunter was always a 4-3 guy before this season, too. Marcus Thomas is a natural one-gap DT, and he’s been asked to play a lot of two-gap stuff the last couple years. Justin Bannan comes from a hybrid scheme in Baltimore, and he can play well in any spot on the DL, from 5-technique to 5-technique. "

It seems to me that most teams are going to a mixed bag on defense anyway. If you face a spread you want to do some kind of 40 front nickle package. If you face a team that runs a lot out of the I you might want to play a 4-3 front more. If you play a team that is pass crazy, you want all the blitz options you get with a 3-4. It seems to me that the future is getting really versatile (and fast) players who are smart enough to play more than one scheme. It's the future! ;D

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Yup. Plus it appears the draft favors 4-3 talent. So nobody with their eyes open should be adamantly opposed to going 4-3.

What about this:

Ayers Thomas Fairley Doom
Woodyard Greg Jones Williams

TonyR
01-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Elvis Dumervil was a 4-3 DE his whole life, and most of his sacks have come from rushing the passer with his hand on the ground, even in 2009. He’s a pass-rusher, not a blitzer.

That's a really good point about Doom. I'm sold. Let's go 4-3!

meangene
01-05-2011, 08:38 AM
It seems to me that most teams are going to a mixed bag on defense anyway. If you face a spread you want to do some kind of 40 front nickle package. If you face a team that runs a lot out of the I you might want to play a 4-3 front more. If you play a team that is pass crazy, you want all the blitz options you get with a 3-4. It seems to me that the future is getting really versatile (and fast) players who are smart enough to play more than one scheme. It's the future! ;D

And, Doom could be that perfect flex guy allowing the shift without having to change personnel and tip our hand.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Don't the Saint's run a 4-3 too? So if Williams is a serious candidate, that's another reason to switch back to the 43 defense...

Rohirrim
01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
And, Doom could be that perfect flex guy allowing the shift without having to change personnel and tip our hand.

Fairley is another guy who can move to any spot on the line in any front and still creat havoc. Imagine having Doom and Fairley moving in and out of different spots? The QB would **** his pants.

meangene
01-05-2011, 08:42 AM
I could go with this 4-3 lineup:

Ayers, Bannan / Vickerson, Fairley, Doom
Haggan, Mayes, DJ / Woodyard

Then we look secondary in rounds 2-3.

edog24
01-05-2011, 08:42 AM
What about this:

Ayers Thomas Fairley Doom
Woodyard Greg Jones Williams

Ug, need to target FA to upgrade this area badly.

HILife
01-05-2011, 08:48 AM

hahahahha

Dutch
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Great point,

"And, Doom could be that perfect flex guy allowing the shift without having to change personnel and tip our hand."

and another.

I've seen Ted Bartlett's blog about Williams quoted a couple of times in this thread and I admit that he pretty much swayed me to the Williams argument. I also think that Pete Carmichael Jr would make an intriguing addition as OC. One thing that has impressed me with the job Williams has done in New Orleans is his ability to overcome injuries with the scheme and keep his D competitive. We certainly could have used more of that this year.

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
It will be interesting to see how this thing with Jeff Fisher plays out. He's a 4-3 guy who, it seems, is about to give Bud Adams an ultimatum of him or Vince Young. Apparently one of his biggest issues with Vince Young is that he's not a leader. Denver, with Doom, Ayers, and possibly Fairley to go along with Tebow might be intriguinging for him. Maybe he could bring Washburn with him?

Mountain Bronco
01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I actually am a bit intrigued by Greg Williams name. He was an unsuccessfull in his stint as a head coach, but so were a lot of coaches and he has now mentored under one of the best coaches (if not they best IMO) in the league and I bet he has learned a few things. Pair him with the right OC and you could have some success.

yerner
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I remember reading a quote from a unnamed Redskins player when Robinson was coaching around here. It said Robinson was "the most miserable human being on the planet." I don't know what it meant really but it made me laugh.

I like Fewell too. Good options so far.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't know about that. I guess the optimist in me thinks of it as more of a Mathis/Freeney deal with Ayers/Doom. Last time Doom played 4-3 end he didn't have Ayers on the other end or anyone in the middle demanding double teams. With the right draft choices, that could change things in a big way.

That requires us to play the Tampa 2 defense, to my knowledge neither Gregg Williams now Fewell has any experience with the Tampa 2. In most 4-3 defenses I know other than the Tampa 2, the defensive ends have to play the run much more disciplined than a 3-4 OLB or a tampa 2 DE has to because if you don't you leave your linebacker fighting a 300+ OT which will always lead to a nice gain.

Dumervil has to be in a role where he can pass rush much more than play the run, in the 4-3 I don't think that will happen.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Absolutely, Dumervil is a pass rusher, so he needs to be in a position to rush the passer. The reason he was so strong in 2009 compared to the 4-3 in 06-08 is that playing that WOLB he can get off the snap without having to look too much for the pass, in the 4-3 that is not the case. We have seen over and over again that running right on Dumervil is a good idea, if you leave him on the DE you are hanging your linebacker out to dry.

Robert Ayers played 1-tech, 3-tech and 5-tech in college, and most DEs play 4-3 DE in college and very few of them make good pro ends, so that alone does not qualify Ayers as a good DE. With the way the league is today, Ayers and his 270 lbs is not a lot for a strong side end.

We have no DT on the roster who has played well in the 4-3 in the NFL.

It is not that I don't like the idea of the 4-3, I would say our LBs are better suited to playing 4-3 than 3-4 right now, DJ and Woodyard are both natural 4-3 players, Haggan could probably play SLB. I just think that our best defensive player is better in the 3-4 and 4-3.

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
That requires us to play the Tampa 2 defense, to my knowledge neither Gregg Williams now Fewell has any experience with the Tampa 2. In most 4-3 defenses I know other than the Tampa 2, the defensive ends have to play the run much more disciplined than a 3-4 OLB or a tampa 2 DE has to because if you don't you leave your linebacker fighting a 300+ OT which will always lead to a nice gain.

Dumervil has to be in a role where he can pass rush much more than play the run, in the 4-3 I don't think that will happen.

Honestly, while he had a great year in 09, its not like Doom was unproductive in prior seasons while playing defensive end. If you put someone with him like Fairley who demands who could potentially demand double teams, and require attention, Doom could continue to be massively productive as a DE. On run downs, you can do twists and stunts and have the DT crash outside on the OT.

Requiem
01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes to Perry.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Honestly, while he had a great year in 09, its not like Doom was unproductive in prior seasons while playing defensive end. If you put someone with him like Fairley who demands who could potentially demand double teams, and require attention, Doom could continue to be massively productive as a DE. On run downs, you can do twists and stunts and have the DT crash outside on the OT.

It is true in 2007 he had a decent year as well, but there is still a big jump from 12.5 sacks his best in 4-3 to 17 in 3-4 which was his first year, so I don't even think that is necesarily his peak performance in a 3-4.

misturanderson
01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I actually am a bit intrigued by Greg Williams name. He was an unsuccessfull in his stint as a head coach, but so were a lot of coaches and he has now mentored under one of the best coaches (if not they best IMO) in the league and I bet he has learned a few things. Pair him with the right OC and you could have some success.

He also went the route of Shanny and Belicheck where he was an integral part of a superbowl winning team as coordinator after his failed head coaching stint.

bloodsunday
01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
We are all opinionated and I guess we sort of know football. But lets not go thinking any of these guys get where they are because they stink. Buffalo was a tough place to try and build a team and Mularky didn't get it done. But then he went back and has had some success grooming Ryan. He sort of fits the mold of someone who has learned, paid some dues, had time to reflect, and now maybe could get another shot.

Exactly my line of thought on him.

Not sure what the interest in big name is. They cost a lot of money and want a lot of control.

The best hires recently have been low-key: Tomlin, McCarthy, Smith, Payton, Haley, etc... Hire a guy that wants to be HC and a HC only. A guy that wants to lead men and collaborate with executives/general managers.

broncofan2438
01-05-2011, 02:50 PM
To me, no one on the mane really knows what they want in a coach. Here i am trying to gauge who people want around here and every time the Broncos announce who they are going to interview, everyone turns into a bunch of crybabies. "Terrible decision", well what the **** then

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
It is true in 2007 he had a decent year as well, but there is still a big jump from 12.5 sacks his best in 4-3 to 17 in 3-4 which was his first year, so I don't even think that is necesarily his peak performance in a 3-4.

Was it the formations or the quality of defensive coordinator?

OrangeSe7en
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
To me, no one on the mane really knows what they want in a coach. Here i am trying to gauge who people want around here and every time the Broncos announce who they are going to interview, everyone turns into a bunch of crybabies. "Terrible decision", well what the **** then

Were you expecting unanimity?

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM

well, he was also in a contract year too and as much as I hate to apply this to his 17 sacks, I do think it provided a little extra incentive to get to the QB.

I wonder how Doom would work as the MLB in a 4-3...

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Broncos won't be keeping a 3-4 IMO. They still don't have NT that are worth a crap or OLB who can cover. Also DJ needs to be on the weakside and in a 3-4 he cant do that.

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
well, he was also in a contract year too and as much as I hate to apply this to his 17 sacks, I do think it provided a little extra incentive to get to the QB.

I wonder how Doom would work as the MLB in a 4-3...

Serious? He would stink and get run at every play. Doom needs to rush the passer from a 4-3 or a 3-4 but in either alingment he has his weakness.

I like the idea of a 4-3 where you get some big DT to help inside.

Remember people cover 2 is more about how you align your coverage then it is your front 7. Just because you go 4-3 doesn't mean you have to go tampa cover 2. Also every team has some cover 2 in there arsenal its not like its not used all over the league.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM

really? I'm thinking many peeps have expressed opinions on who they would like to see as the next HC, names like Harbaugh, Rivera, Mularkey, Fewell, Kubiak, etc. Not sure what your reading but I have a feeling your just bitching to bitch.

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
We could draft Peterson, keep Bailey, and play bump and run like Haynes and Hayes did with the Raiders. :)

baja
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Rick Dennison - he's perfect for the time.

He's identified with the Broncos. He has a neutral personality. He learned under Shanahan and Kubes. His ego is in check. He is smart and calm. He will work well with his assistants and he will fit into the personality trio of the new FO. He's the perfect hire for right now.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Serious? He would stink and get run at every play. Doom needs to rush the passer from a 4-3 or a 3-4 but in either alingment he has his weakness.

I like the idea of a 4-3 where you get some big DT to help inside.

Remember people cover 2 is more about how you align your coverage then it is your front 7. Just because you go 4-3 doesn't mean you have to go tampa cover 2. Also every team has some cover 2 in there arsenal its not like its not used all over the league.

I'm just thinking about his ability to produce sacks in a 4-3. We know he will get run at as a DE becuase of his size. However, he's proven that this is not a huge liability. I'm just wondering if the Broncos go with a base 4-3 and draft some DL guys who are bigger and stronger than Doom if he can transition to MLB.

Think about it, he'd kinda be a Levon Kirkland type of MLB. As for "being run at" yah, that's the whole point of having a big slobber knocking MLB on the inside.

serious hops
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Fewell is one of my top choices, really glad to see his name on the list.

gyldenlove
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Was it the formations or the quality of defensive coordinator?

The coordinator probably had something to do with it, Nolan is no slouch. I would however say that the formation also played in, he was in a position where he could rush the passer on the vast majority of plays using his quickness more effectively. Dumervil is not a guy who can consistently walk offensive tackles backwards, but he has great leverage to keep people off himself so he can run around them, the only way to use that is to get off the snap quick and set up the rush before the tackle can set his feet.

I would be somewhat surprised to see Dumervil with much more than 10 sacks in a 4-3 unless he is moved around aggressively to create mismatches.

illbroncsfn
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Rick Dennison - he's perfect for the time.

He's identified with the Broncos. He has a neutral personality. He learned under Shanahan and Kubes. His ego is in check. He is smart and calm. He will work well with his assistants and he will fit into the personality trio of the new FO. He's the perfect hire for right now.

I would be fine w/Dennison compared to what we are looking at currently for HC options.

frerottenextelway
01-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Perry Fewell.

http://historybyday.com/photos/Perry-Fewell.jpg

Dagmar
01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
This guy?

http://www.1019rxp.com/Pics/news/PERRY%20FARRELL.jpg

Never even played football!

The Joker
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Dumervil playing MLB has to be the worst idea I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying plenty.

Dudeskey
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I agree with meangene. I sure hope they interview Rivera.

Maybe, but doesn't SD need to give permission first? If so I'd say maybe it was considered, but AJ Smith didn't give the Broncos permission to speak w/ Rivera.

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Maybe, but doesn't SD need to give permission first? If so I'd say maybe it was considered, but AJ Smith didn't give the Broncos permission to speak w/ Rivera.

Only if they were in the playoffs. We don't need permission otherwise. Rivera isn't their property.

Bigdawg26
01-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Dumervil playing MLB has to be the worst idea I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying plenty.

Agreed

Boss Man
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
if we were to get fewell maybe, we could get kiwanuka to tag along with him...trade down a few spots take fairley, and see if ayers could hang as a SAM in a 4-3? just freeballin

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
if we were to get fewell maybe, we could get kiwanuka to tag along with him...trade down a few spots take fairley, and see if ayers could hang as a SAM in a 4-3? just freeballin

Ayers is a strongside DE in a 4-3 or he's nothing. There isn't any other position he fits.

Play2win
01-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Ayers is a strongside DE in a 4-3 or he's nothing. There isn't any other position he fits.

Good Shanahan impersonation, though...

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Good Shanahan impersonation, though...

I have no idea what that means...

Boss Man
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM

well regardless if it is fewell i think he has great potential as a HC, and it would be great for depth if we could get kiwanuka to tag along, depending on the future development of ayers, and if we were to draft fairley could avtually have an outside shot of haveing a damn good dline, something we havent had in 10+ years...i can already feel the fairley man crushes developing after everyone watches fairley dominate this championship game.

Drek
01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I have no idea what that means...

I'm assuming its in reference to Shanahan's love of moving players from a natural position to sam for basically no apparent reason. Examples include John Mobley, DJ Williams, and Terry Pierce.

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm assuming its in reference to Shanahan's love of moving players from a natural position to sam for basically no apparent reason. Examples include John Mobley, DJ Williams, and Terry Pierce.

Ah, now I get it. 8')

uplink
01-06-2011, 07:46 AM
No problem, lets us narrow down the remaining interviewees:
Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, Marv Levy

Don't forget, Studsville was also a bills assistant coach. Someone at Dove Valley has a Bills fetish. They had a NE fetish, but now its a Bills fetish.

Drek
01-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Don't forget, Studsville was also a bills assistant coach. Someone at Dove Valley has a Bills fetish. They had a NE fetish, but now its a Bills fetish.

I think its probably more a product of the Bills being a woefully bad team who hired some well respected OCs/DCs and then promptly canned them just a few years in without giving them any real support.

If you're looking for a hotbed of quality personnel who've had HC experience but were held back by a poor organization and released before getting a real shot you've got two choices. Oakland and Buffalo. Davis hasn't produced too many ready to win coaches for other teams of late because post Gruden/Callahan he decided to hire woefully under qualified guys like Lane Kiffin. Looks like he just let another one walk though by releasing Cable who was actually starting to get that team looking decent. Wouldn't surprise me if Cable goes somewhere else and does real well.

Raider Bill
01-06-2011, 09:26 AM
The Raiders were running a bunch of undersized DE's at OLB in a 4-3 (Kamerion Wimbley, Trevor Scott, Quentin Groves). A good coordinator could find a spot for ED in a 4-3.

Homer Simpson
01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Williams had had no contact with us he stated today.

PRBronco
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Williams had had no contact with us he stated today.

What the...? Not cool bro! He's my favourite candidate :-/

Homer Simpson
01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
What the...? Not cool bro! He's my favourite candidate :-/

Yup, tweets from people earlier, he has had no contact from the Broncos and he "is very happy where he is".

bendog
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I like what I read about Fewell. I was thinking an offensive guy, but it's probably easier to find qb/wr coaches who can make the step up to OC than head coaches. Bates is at odds with Hasselback so maybe he'll get the axe soon.

ayjackson
01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Gregg Williams is now available for interviews. Anybody want him now? That was a horrible egg his unit laid last night.

broncswin
01-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Gregg Williams is now available for interviews. Anybody want him now? That was a horrible egg his unit laid last night.

LOL...his stock shiat the bed and Bates has quickly become popular amongst some posters...gotta love what one game can doHilarious!

bowtown
01-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm still for bringing him in for an interview. His D was great all year. You can't judge a guy based on one game.

Gutless Drunk
01-09-2011, 09:21 AM
"We may have a favorite for the Carolina Panthers head coaching position.

SI’s Peter King reports that Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is headed for a second interview with the Panthers on Sunday. A second interview often precedes a job offer, although that’s not always the case. Perhaps the Panthers pick a few “finalists” for the position.

Carolina has interviewed four defensive coordinators for the job: Cleveland’s Rob Ryan, San Francisco’s Greg Manusky, Perry Fewell of the Giants, and Rivera."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/ron-rivera-headed-for-second-interview-in-carolina/

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm still for bringing him in for an interview. His D was great all year. You can't judge a guy based on one game.

"I disagree. You gonna eat that?"

-JaMarcus Russell

TonyR
01-09-2011, 09:30 AM
...Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is headed for a second interview with the Panthers on Sunday.

...Carolina has interviewed four defensive coordinators for the job: Cleveland’s Rob Ryan, San Francisco’s Greg Manusky, Perry Fewell of the Giants, and Rivera.

Meanwhile, John Elway has been busy tweeting about Tim Tebow.

TonyR
01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
From Woody today:

So, in a perfect world, the Broncos would hire Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera to become the head coach and oversee the defense and Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison as assistant head coach to completely run the offense.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_17045548

I could get on board with that but because of our FO's inaction it may already be too late with Rivera.

go_broncos
01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
meanwhile, john elway has been busy tweeting about tim tebow.

lol

Circle Orange
01-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Agree, it's a silly argument anyway.

And methinks I know "bait" when I read it.

Trolls must NOT be fed, or they grow even hairier with more pimples and B.O.

Circle Orange
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM

They are. I never understood the obsession/fascination with Harbaugh, just because of brief and recent success in the college ranks. Too many dimestore experts with no clue about hidden talent around the league.

strafen
01-09-2011, 02:36 PM
They are. I never understood the obsession/fascination with Harbaugh, just because of brief and recent success in the college ranks. Too many dimestore experts with no clue about hidden talent around the league.He was smart by going to the NFC West. A division that features teams like: Seattle, St Louis, and Arizona.
A division in which a 7-9 team makes the play-off.
Oh yeah. I can see him seeing the same thing.
He could take SF in that division to the play-offs very easily...

TonyR
01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
John Fox tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004952

tsiguy96
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
From Woody today:

So, in a perfect world, the Broncos would hire Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera to become the head coach and oversee the defense and Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison as assistant head coach to completely run the offense.

I could get on board with that but because of our FO's inaction it may already be too late with Rivera.

the sky is not falling, im sorry to tell you. it isnt. the season has been over for one week and you are already acting like the team has failed. the first round of playoffs are not even over and you are complaining about inaction!

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Did someone actually suggest that?

If so, why stop there? Let's try Champ at FB, we can get Dawkins to play TE and extend his career, and move DJ to RB where he was a stud in high school.

I can't believe the stupidity in this place, sometimes.

OrangeSe7en
01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I like Perry Fewell. He's not my #1 but I would be OK with him. He has a good background and he seems like someone that the players would play hard for.

bowtown
01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
John Fox tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004952

Come on John... hit a homerun.

footstepsfrom#27
01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
It is not that I don't like the idea of the 4-3, I would say our LBs are better suited to playing 4-3 than 3-4 right now, DJ and Woodyard are both natural 4-3 players, Haggan could probably play SLB. I just think that our best defensive player is better in the 3-4 and 4-3.
There's a sense in which Doom represents both a blessing and a curse. As a 3-4 OLB he's great with the pass rush, but if we're having to adjust the entie defense for him to play that role and put other players out of position...is he helping us or hurting us? I love the guy and hope they find a way to use him but it always seems like the question of 34 or 43 starts and ends with, "what's best for Elvis"? Some fresh D-line muscle would be so nice in this draft.

Dedhed
01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
There's a sense in which Doom represents both a blessing and a curse. As a 3-4 OLB he's great with the pass rush, but if we're having to adjust the entie defense for him to play that role and put other players out of position...is he helping us or hurting us? I love the guy and hope they find a way to use him but it always seems like the question of 34 or 43 starts and ends with, "what's best for Elvis"? Some fresh D-line muscle would be so nice in this draft.

I don't see it as a conundrum at all given that the defense had by far it's best performance in ages running a 3-4 that featured Dumervil.

TonyR
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
From Woody today:

(sigh)