PDA

View Full Version : A decade of horrible decisions.....

DefensiveBehavior
01-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Arizona had been shopping the #7 draft position after top RB prospect Jamal Lewis had been taken a pick before...Denver did not act...
Deltha O'neal over Brian Urlacher...

Denver thinking Griese was the man,they felt an injury prone over sized corner was the pick here..
Willie Middlebrooks over Drew Brees

This pick made me sick for years,and am still finding myself queezy when watching the ravens.....
Ashley Lelie over Ed Reed

Another scenario where Denver had an opertunity to trade up 5 spots with a philadelphia team who was desperate to trade out of the #15 position...
George Foster over Troy Palomalu

With portis out of the picture shortly after,this was a no brainer for most,right???
DJ williams over Steven jackson

RIP Darrent Williams..GREAT 2nd round pick....

Cutler was the Guy at #11

Houston was on the horns trying to unload the #10 pick to add depth at all positions,yet again,denver was fine with drafting a BUM mid round...
Jarvis Moss over Patrick Willis

Clady was the guy here,and they nailed it... Stewart,mendenhall,C johnson were all available,but they whent with the cornerstone to protect Jay...

McClown shoes felt the need to go Moreno,Ayers..
Clearly Arakpo,Clay Mathews were the guys....

Last but not least,the verdict is not clear on D.Thomas..But passing on a sure fire HALL OF FAME wr in Dez Bryant,because of a silly lunch with deion...WOW

Not saying all the guys i listed should have been drafted,because draft positions would vary based on previous decisions..But a few of those guys would have been nice...
Basically a wasted decade,and nothing to show for it...

If Denver passes on Patrick Peterson, it will be a sad sad day in denver,and one of great joy in Buf,or Cin...

phibacka31
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I did not know Dez was a Hall of Fame WR already. Congrats to him

DomCasual
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
In every draft, you can find picks in retrospect that would have been better than the ones you made. And you're actually throwing rumored potential trades into the scenario?

That said, there is no question we've made some horrible picks.

schaaf
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Shanahan's drafting really started to pick up in his last years with the exception of the 07 with Moss and Crowder that draft made me want to kill myself

Tim
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll take DJ over steven jackson in 2004 and 2011 and all the years between. I agree a few of the drafts sucked but nobody wins jackpot in the draft every year.

DenverBrit
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Include the FA signings and complete this horror story.

Likwid Kerruj
01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
The last two offseasons brought down the 10 year average big time.

Thanks again, McDaniels!

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I'll take Thomas over Bryant, but your main point is valid, many more misses than hits

DefensiveBehavior
01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
In every draft, you can find picks in retrospect that would have been better than the ones you made. And you're actually throwing rumored potential trades into the scenario?

Not rumors,moves that could have been made to aquire HOF defenders...Shannahan lived to draft mediocre bums mid to late 1st round...we arent talking about moves to move into the top 3.. We are talking 5 spots...when you have a legit scouting department, its really pretty simple...

Tim
01-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Shanahan's drafting really started to pick up in his last years with the exception of the 07 with Moss and Crowder that draft made me want to kill myself

Moss hasn't worked out but crowder looks 2nd round worthy in tampa, ryan harris was a solid 3rd rounder and marcus thomas is a pretty decent 3-4 DE

NUB
01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
2006 was one of the best drafts of the decade. It and '07 definitely had us going in the right direction until McDaniels went through the team like a whirling dervish in a china shop.

Don't get the dislike for D.J. Williams. He is a solid linebacker and, at the time, Denver did not need any kind of super-talent to field a running game. Lot of those other early picks, though, were pretty terrible.

DefensiveBehavior
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
2006 was one of the best drafts of the decade. It and '07 definitely had us going in the right direction until McDaniels went through the team like a whirling dervish in a china shop.

Don't get the dislike for D.J. Williams. He is a solid linebacker and, at the time, Denver did not need any kind of super-talent to field a running game. Lot of those other early picks, though, were pretty terrible.

Do i dislike DJ? No...Do i think DJ is an average player,who never seems to make the big play in crucial moments? YES

schaaf
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Crowder is doing pretty good but not on our team. and I forgot Harris was picked in that draft. Thomas I think is pretty good at rotating in

KevinJames
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
As much as I like Eddie Royal

picking him over DeSean Jackson was a mistake.

TDmvp
01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
http://www.peta-sucks.com/smf/Smileys/alternate/this_thread_sucks.gif

The draft is a crap shoot ... get over it ...

Steve Sewell
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I'll take Thomas over Bryant, but your main point is valid, many more misses than hits

Bryant - SURE FIRE HALL OF FAMER - bro, didn't you hear?

Likwid Kerruj
01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Thomas has great potential, but damn, can he stay healthy?

The guy was drafted injured.

NUB
01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Do i dislike DJ? No...Do i think DJ is an average player,who never seems to make the big play in crucial moments? YES

The entire defense in general is incapable of that because the defensive line is almost completely irrelevant for a good lot of the game. DJ Williams is on the decline, no doubt in that, but I think he's been catching heat for things not even in his control these past few years (awful line, constantly changing defensive coordinator, new schemes every year, switch from 4-3 to 3-4, switch from outside to inside linebacker repeatedly etc.).

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
124 post rule?

Tim
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
DJ Williams is on the decline, no doubt in that

I think we watch different games

Dagmar
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/129030749970221098.jpg

http://captainhindsightsays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/captain-hindsight1.jpg

http://www.cold-moon.com/images/Motivators/GMs/Hindsight.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FGWi7LA1RhNBrM:http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/Platypus_Vomit/CaptainHindsight.png&t=1
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/12/11/3201b29c-6e8a-4617-9e22-2d61e95d644b.jpg

vancejohnson82
01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
why all the love for Orakpo too?

he might end up being good, but this year he was anything but a standout superstar

gunns
01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
While you can claim hindsight, it does become remarkable when a team makes that many bad decisions. Yes other teams do too but if they are wrong I don't give a ****. But when they are right more often than the Broncos, it becomes a head scratcher. Such as the Pats who in the last two years, for example, get players like Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty and Pat Chung who are already tremendous contributors. Overall I hated Shanahan's drafts and McD made it all the worse taking a damn WR in the first round. Unbelievable.

gunns
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM

he might end up being good, but this year he was anything but a standout superstar

Well then let's add Cushing or Malcolm Jenkins to Matthews.

montrose
01-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for this wonderful trip down memory lane. lol

Hercules Rockefeller
Context always helps.

2000- Sorry, no one wanted out of their spots, that's why Denver traded down pre-draft. Shanny did actually try to move up to get Urlacher. Everyone in the world knew that Baltimore was taking Lewis at #5, so it was not a shock to Arizona when Lewis didn't last that long. Lewis wasn't the consensus #1 RB either, so Arizona was happy picking Thomas Jones.

2001- Griese made the Pro Bowl the year before. Seriously, you're actually throwing out Drew Brees as a suggestion?

2002- Lelie was not supposed to be there at #19, he was considered borderline Top 10. It was absolutely the right move at the time.

2003- Denver twice believed they had deals in place to trade with Baltimore. 1st to move up to #7 (where Baltimore originally picked) to get Suggs, the 2nd time to trade out of the 1st entirely when the Ravens wanted to move back into the 1st to take Boller. The Ravens back out at the last moment and moved into the Pats' spot at #19, Baltimore feared that trading into the 20th spot after Arizona picked at #18 would allow Chicago to trade up in the mean time and take Boller.

2004- Again, really? Why exactly would Shanahan take a 1st round RB when he'd just come off his string of TD, Gary, Anderson, and then Portis? That wasn't happening.

2005- no argument

2006- no argument

2007- Bull****, Houston wanted Okoye. Everyone thought Houston wanted out and Denver moving into their spot was the en vogue pre-draft trade prediction. If Houston was so desperate to get out of that spot, they would have found a taker.

2008- no argument

2009 and 2010- too early to tell

ColoradoDarin
Cutler was the Guy at #11

Wrong dumbass, Haloti Ngata was the guy drafted #12 that year. I was pissed about the pick then and I'm pissed about the pick now - one of Shanahan's biggest screwups.

Gutless Drunk
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM

8.5 sacks in 15 games...isn't bad. Especially in a whole new scheme...following 11 in his rookie year..I'd say he's pretty damn good.

Missouribronc
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Most of the crap you're holding agaist the Bronco organization can be held against nearly every NFL team.

You can't specifically condemn the Broncos for selecting Lelie over Reed in the late 20s in the draft. If he was so can't miss he would have gone No. 1. Not in the 20s.

Condemn the organization for not drafting well, but to say they should have drafted every all pro selected after Denver's pick or Denver should have traded up to draft every all pro player is disengenious and frankly unintelligent.

Missouribronc
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
8.5 sacks in 15 games...isn't bad. Especially in a whole new scheme...following 11 in his rookie year..I'd say he's pretty damn good.

Since we knew this would happen, how did Orakpo last so long in the draft? He should have gone Top 5, right? That being said, Denver never would have had a chance to draft him, anyway.

See how ridiculous this can become?

~Crash~
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
As much as I like Eddie Royal

picking him over DeSean Jackson was a mistake.

How the hell do you know that ? IF royal is the #1 taget

Missouribronc
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
How the hell do you know that ? IF royal is the #1 taget

You can't. Denver fans focus in on Denver picks without proper perspective, or with proper logic. Denver didn't draft the all pro, therefore Denver failed.

Its simply a lack of proper perspective.

Vegas_Bronco
01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow...how much of the Omane real estate is wasted on trash threads and hypothetical retrospect like this?

DefensiveBehavior
01-04-2011, 08:55 PM
124 post rule?

LOL

You are a clown...i remember now why i avoid this site...

Agamemnon
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
And this is why we are a bottom-of-the-barrel team. You certainly don't end up here by making good decisions...

Archer81
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
LOL

I dont know. Claiming Dez Bryant is a hall of famer kind of kills any argument where you proclaim someone else to be a clown.

But hey, no one is telling you to come here in the first place. So lame on, clownshoes.

:Broncos:

DefensiveBehavior
01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Most of the crap you're holding agaist the Bronco organization can be held against nearly every NFL team.

You can't specifically condemn the Broncos for selecting Lelie over Reed in the late 20s in the draft. If he was so can't miss he would have gone No. 1. Not in the 20s.

Condemn the organization for not drafting well, but to say they should have drafted every all pro selected after Denver's pick or Denver should have traded up to draft every all pro player is disengenious and frankly unintelligent.

You obviously did not read the end of my post....

Just 1 of those guys would have been nice...sheeeeesh

DefensiveBehavior
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Calm down, i guess i am the biggest moron on the planet for pointing out a decade of missed oppertunities to draft great players...

whats with the attitude guys,not like im a SD,KC,OAK fan pointing out the mistakes of a team i dont care about...

I bleed orange and blue,and really dont care what any of you think about my " monday morning qb " opinions...

If your that upset with my opinions on dez bryant,and the countless bums we have drafted,dont read the thread...

HAT
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
LOL

Dear Ray,
Please post more so this clown avoids this site more.

Thanks in advance!

broncocalijohn
01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
I'll take DJ over steven jackson in 2004 and 2011 and all the years between. I agree a few of the drafts sucked but nobody wins jackpot in the draft every year.

we knew how to make a running back good once he was on the broncos so I cant fault Shanny on this. But Moss, Foster and Middlebrooks were headscratchers. Foster was a project that pretty much sucked but was a hellava swingin door for the saloon. Yes, some poster (REV) here thought Foster wasnt a bust because he started for us. Shows us how bad we were to not have anyone fill in that spot.

DefensiveBehavior
01-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Dear Ray,
Please post more so this clown avoids this site more.

Thanks in advance!

Eat a bag of dicks dude : )

Jason in LA
01-05-2011, 02:05 AM

That''s the same thing I thought. You can look at a bad draft pick, and then look at the best player taken after that pick was made, and make it seem like the decision was between those two players, or like the Broncos were the only ones that passed on that player

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 02:13 AM
we knew how to make a running back good once he was on the broncos so I cant fault Shanny on this. But Moss, Foster and Middlebrooks were headscratchers. Foster was a project that pretty much sucked but was a hellava swingin door for the saloon. Yes, some poster (REV) here thought Foster wasnt a bust because he started for us. Shows us how bad we were to not have anyone fill in that spot.

We knew how to inflate a back's numbers. We didn't know how to make him good. Year after year we had diminishing returns from our running backs, especially in the redzone. It was a very flawed system that gave a lot of fans a false sense of security, and completely failed to produce points.

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Well I don't watch enough college football but I do want Broncos to take whoever the biggest stud is regardless of position. If that is Peterson then do it. But we could take Peterson, he's avg, Cards take Dareus pick 5 and he goes on to be Warren Sapp.

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Well I don't watch enough college football but I do want Broncos to take whoever the biggest stud is regardless of position. If that is Peterson then do it. But we could take Peterson, he's avg, Cards take Dareus pick 5 and he goes on to be Warren Sapp.

Chances of Peterson being average are very, very low. The dude is 6'2" 220 lbs and is as agile and fast as a leopard. He's a complete freak. All the d-lineman have a much bigger potential to be busts. For that matter so does Luck. Peterson is easily the safest of all blue chip picks. I just have serious reservations when it comes to a terrible defense trying to build around a corner, no matter how good.

cutthemdown
01-05-2011, 03:09 AM
A leopard? Ok I want Peterson.

baja
01-05-2011, 05:54 AM
A leopard? Ok I want Peterson.

LOL I thought the same thing - great word choice.

CEH
01-05-2011, 06:05 AM
2000- The Dale Carter suspenion was pending so Denver felt the need to trade back and select O'Neal. At #10 Balt selected Travis Taylor

In 2002- Denver had Levi Jones, Dwight Freeny and Philip Buchanon as their top three players. Two went 10 slots higher than projected

In 2003 - Troy was at the top of the list.

If 2003 and 2002 played out as expected the Denver landscape would have been changed forever with Troy and Freeney

Sure there were misses espeically between 01','03,'04,'05

but Josh's 2 years garnered 4 years worth of 1st and 2nd round picks and his 4 years of picks rival any 4 years of SHanny.

Both are now out of jobs due mostly to wasted picks in the top two rounds

hookemhess
01-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Last but not least,the verdict is not clear on D.Thomas..But passing on a sure fire HALL OF FAME wr in Dez Bryant,because of a silly lunch with deion...WOW

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefsw3JOBX1qf8yek.gif

boppool
01-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Calm down, i guess i am the biggest moron on the planet for pointing out a decade of missed oppertunities to draft great players...

whats with the attitude guys,not like im a SD,KC,OAK fan pointing out the mistakes of a team i dont care about...

I bleed orange and blue,and really dont care what any of you think about my " monday morning qb " opinions...

If your that upset with my opinions on dez bryant,and the countless bums we have drafted,dont read the thread...

Sounds definately like a "defensive behavior" to me...

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 06:51 AM
LOL

relax nancy, maybe you should switch to decaf.

You're the one that started the post. You lose all validity in 2 points:

1. Shanahan has said many times, Ed Reed was not an option.
2. You refer to a WR that has played all of 10 games as a HOF'er?

If that is the logic then the following former players should have already been enshrined:

1. Michael Croel
2. Mark Clayton

When you assume things and project them as fact, you deserve the beating...lighten up, take the beating, and move on.

TonyR
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Context always helps.

Agree, but regardless it's impossible to defend the four year run of O'Neal, Middlebrooks, Lelie, and Foster. The Middlebrooks and Foster picks in particular were just awful mistakes. Irrational, incompetent picks.

Cito Pelon
01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
People picking on the new guy as if they had sooooooo many great posts. Please.

Odysseus
01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Context always helps.

2000- Sorry, no one wanted out of their spots, that's why Denver traded down pre-draft. Shanny did actually try to move up to get Urlacher. Everyone in the world knew that Baltimore was taking Lewis at #5, so it was not a shock to Arizona when Lewis didn't last that long. Lewis wasn't the consensus #1 RB either, so Arizona was happy picking Thomas Jones.

2001- Griese made the Pro Bowl the year before. Seriously, you're actually throwing out Drew Brees as a suggestion?

2002- Lelie was not supposed to be there at #19, he was considered borderline Top 10. It was absolutely the right move at the time.

2003- Denver twice believed they had deals in place to trade with Baltimore. 1st to move up to #7 (where Baltimore originally picked) to get Suggs, the 2nd time to trade out of the 1st entirely when the Ravens wanted to move back into the 1st to take Boller. The Ravens back out at the last moment and moved into the Pats' spot at #19, Baltimore feared that trading into the 20th spot after Arizona picked at #18 would allow Chicago to trade up in the mean time and take Boller.

2004- Again, really? Why exactly would Shanahan take a 1st round RB when he'd just come off his string of TD, Gary, Anderson, and then Portis? That wasn't happening.

2005- no argument

2006- no argument

2007- Bull****, Houston wanted Okoye. Everyone thought Houston wanted out and Denver moving into their spot was the en vogue pre-draft trade prediction. If Houston was so desperate to get out of that spot, they would have found a taker.

2008- no argument

Context is everything.

Crushaholic
01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't include drafting Darrent as being one of the "horrible decisions". While he was still inconsistent, there were signs of him getting better. Nobody knew that he would be murdered...

loborugger
01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I am shocked we have made it to 3 pages in this thread and no one has pulled the OM classic...

ED RRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Garcia should re-throw his computer outta the window.

DefensiveBehavior
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM
That''s the same thing I thought. You can look at a bad draft pick, and then look at the best player taken after that pick was made, and make it seem like the decision was between those two players, or like the Broncos were the only ones that passed on that player

Those were NEEDS,have not had a legit S since the smiling assassin,and a MLB since 05...wilson was on the decline...troy,ed were guys i would have liked to target in those drafts..use some common sense when reading the thread....Not like PIT,BAL got lucky,and all teams drafting before simply passed them..

Bronco Vixen
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
While you can claim hindsight, it does become remarkable when a team makes that many bad decisions. Yes other teams do too but if they are wrong I don't give a ****. But when they are right more often than the Broncos, it becomes a head scratcher. Such as the Pats who in the last two years, for example, get players like Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty and Pat Chung who are already tremendous contributors. Overall I hated Shanahan's drafts and McD made it all the worse taking a damn WR in the first round. Unbelievable.

Agree. Of course nobody is going to bat a thousand in the draft - and there are truly no certainties, but just one or two of those early picks would have been nice :)

Al Wilson
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
All the players you're talking about were passed by the Broncos and the rest of the teas that didn't pick them. How can you tell that Polamolu was going to be a probowler or if Ed Reed was going to be a future HOF player? Don't just say the Broncos picked Lelie and skipped Reed when the rest of the teams that drafted ahead of us skipped him as well.

These topics keep coming back up, it's very stupid and useless imo.

broncocalijohn
01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
All the players you're talking about were passed by the Broncos and the rest of the teas that didn't pick them. How can you tell that Polamolu was going to be a probowler or if Ed Reed was going to be a future HOF player? Don't just say the Broncos picked Lelie and skipped Reed when the rest of the teams that drafted ahead of us skipped him as well.

These topics keep coming back up, it's very stupid and useless imo.

once again, it isnt that other teams past on them, but we kept passing up on not only guys that werent projects, but were needs. Polumolu was an absolute stud at USC and was picked to go high in the draft which he did. You can always say look how other teams past on Terrell Davis but he wasnt on many boards. Lelie was doing fine here he just thought he was worth more than most teams would pay. Instead of being a standout for the Broncos, he bounced around a few more teams and was forgotten. He became the 3rd or 4th receiver instead of the 2nd here. He should have fired his agent and his ego for that mess.

TheChamp24
01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Arizona had been shopping the #7 draft position after top RB prospect Jamal Lewis had been taken a pick before...Denver did not act...
Deltha O'neal over Brian Urlacher...

I don't know what you're smoking making this assumption, especially when we traded out of the top 10 before the draft.

Denver thinking Griese was the man,they felt an injury prone over sized corner was the pick here..
Willie Middlebrooks over Drew Brees

So take a QB when your QB entering his 4th year just came off a Pro Bowl year? lol
Middlebrooks was a terrible pick, especially since he was injured.

This pick made me sick for years,and am still finding myself queezy when watching the ravens.....
Ashley Lelie over Ed Reed

I understand so many people are upset about this, but we desperately needed youth at WR. Other than McCaffrey and Smith, we had nobody and those guys were aging. Lelie was a top 15 pick who fell in our laps. If he wasn't a dumbass and held out, and actually played his part, he would've been a solid #2 WR here in Denver. He never was a #1 WR like he thought he was.

Another scenario where Denver had an opertunity to trade up 5 spots with a philadelphia team who was desperate to trade out of the #15 position...
George Foster over Troy Palomalu

Where are these sources that can confirm Philly wanted to move out?

Thats all I have time for right now.

TheReverend
01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Houston was on the horns trying to unload the #10 pick to add depth at all positions,yet again,denver was fine with drafting a BUM mid round...
Jarvis Moss over Patrick Willis

Willis was LONG gone by the Moss pick...

bendog
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I got as far as the first sentence about Ariz shopping it's pick. The jests had two no one picks and were desperate to get Burress but Pitt wouldn't bite. Ariz picked before Pitt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10109/1051622-66.stm

Aftermath
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM

YOUR a fool

Crushaholic
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
YOUR a fool

I love irony...LOLLOLLOL

Bronco Boy
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
We should have drafted James Harrison! and Marques Colston! and Arian Foster!!!

extralife
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
saying we should have drafted Drew Brees is ****ing retarded. Griese was great in 2000 and Shanny had invested a lot in him by tossing him on the field in '99.

gunns
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Context always helps.

2005- no argument

2006- no argument

2008- no argument

As much as the first post, this is pure speculation.

Both are now out of jobs due mostly to wasted picks in the top two rounds

So true.