PDA

View Full Version : 1st Interview: Mike Mularkey to be interviewed friday

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Mike Mularkey to be interviewed:
Denver_Broncos

The Broncos will interview Falcons Offensive Coordinator Mike Mularkey on Friday in Atlanta regarding the team's head coaching vacancy. #fb

thread on Mularkey:
http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95966

SoonerBronco
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
What a bunch of Mularkey....

Seriously, I think that every time I see or hear his name mentioned. :)

bowtown
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd be happy with Mularkey.

go_broncos
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Mularkey sucks...

HooptyHoops
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey, some news!

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 09:34 AM
would be great for Tebow or another young QB's training.....not if he brings the inspector gadget persona with him though.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
my top choice as OC, fits the bill completely for what this team wants:
-previous HC experience that was moderately successful
-can work with QBs, great success with matt ryan
-offensive guy which is pat bowlens usual MO, and his offenses are pretty fun to watch as well as being pretty high scoring.

Inkana7
Captain Mediocrity!

tsiguy96
MaxBroncos

I'll repeat something from last night: 9 of last 13 Super Bowl-winning coaches were retreads who did not win SB at previous stop.

crowebomber
At least they are starting the process now, so we should really know the candidates in the next couple weeks.

2KBack
01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
interviewed by whom exactly?

BigPlayShay
01-04-2011, 09:39 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/22344901702189056

Jason La Canfora: Mike Mularkey has ties to Broncos exec Brian Xanders from Atlanta. Mentioned him strongly Mon as a top candidate there.

----------

So, sounds like Xanders is staying on as GM.

baja
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I could go for this. He would really be a good coach for Tebow.

baja
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM

LOL good one!

Ellis Elway and Xanders with Pat bringing the donuts.

baja
01-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Which will make McD a good hire for someone.

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 09:47 AM

John Elway, Brian Xanders, Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen is my guess

srphoenix
01-04-2011, 09:48 AM
This is pretty good news I think, Mularkey has done a great job with Ryan, White, and Turner. They use the run game and don't give up on it, they know when to pass and what needs to be done to win games. Tebow will do great in this system and Mularkey seems like the kind of guy to set up a gameplan that will adapt to Tebow's strengths as well as the rest of the offensive unit. We still need to draft D each and every day of the draft and we need a defensive coordinator to make use of those picks (still not ruling out wink).

go_broncos
01-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Which will make McD a good hire for someone.

Baja..i know you put me on ignore..

Slowly.I am realizing that Bowlen doesn't know ****..
Why is Xanders still with Broncos???
Why are we interviewing Mike Mularkey ???

go_broncos
01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
This is pretty good news I think, Mularkey has done a great job with Ryan, White, and Turner. They use the run game and don't give up on it, they know when to pass and what needs to be done to win games. Tebow will do great in this system and Mularkey seems like the kind of guy to set up a gameplan that will adapt to Tebow's strengths as well as the rest of the offensive unit. We still need to draft D each and every day of the draft and we need a defensive coordinator to make use of those picks (still not ruling out wink).

If you want to develop Tebow..then hire him as OC/QB coach..
Don't ****ing hire him as HC.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
If you want to develop Tebow..then hire him as OC/QB coach..
Don't ****ing hire him as HC.

how can you make this statement without seeing who is on the staff. Let's say he hires a great QB coach (like steals Zorn away from Balt or takes GB's QB coach).

He is a power running/play action HC. I like it.

srphoenix
01-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Are you saying that Mularkey can't develop Tebow while being a head coach at the same time??? When did Mularkey become a part time high school coach?

meangene
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Mularkey is a good candidate. I wish we would line up Rivera - ESPN or NFLN was reporting that Carolina had an interview scheduled with him. Also, ESPN is reporting that, if Harbaugh stays in college, it will be with Stanford and not Michigan.

yerner
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Any word on Rick Dennison even being considered? Alfred Williams and Schlereth got me on the bandwagon. I know how that sounds.

ColoradoBuff
01-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I'd be happy if Mularkey is our next HC.....he's built a great offense in Atlanta, great running game and passing game.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Mike Mularkey to be interviewed:

thread on Mularkey:
http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=95966

Love me some Mularkey. He runs the same pro offense that Harbaugh runs in college: run the ball to set up the pass.

I like this philosophy. Pair him with a fantastic defensive coordinator.

Kaylore
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I would be open to this. Whatever doubts you had about him as a head coach you have to figure being under Smith helped in some measure.

PRBronco
01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Anyone know offhand who he had running the defence when he was in Buffalo?

baja
01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Baja..i know you put me on ignore..

Slowly.I am realizing that Bowlen doesn't know ****..
Why is Xanders still with Broncos???
Why are we interviewing Mike Mularkey ???

I took you off ignore a while back. I don't like the ignore feature all that much so I just use it to take a break from some posters that say the same thing over and over no matter the topic actually being discussed. I see you don't do that anymore so I read you now.

Our only hope is that Elway knows what he is doing because the floundering Pat Bowlen has reached out to John to save him and the Broncos.

I don't hate the idea of Mularkey as our new HC, he has done wonders with the Alanta offense in a short time and I think he will be a good fit for Tebow. If Tebow doesn't click it will be a long time before we are a playoff team. If Tebow does click we could be in the playoffs as soon as next year. Pray Elway knows what he is doing because it's his team now....

NFLBRONCO
01-04-2011, 10:09 AM
If this guy is hired how much change of players do you see him making? Can he get Royal more involved.

bloodsunday
01-04-2011, 10:21 AM
my top choice as OC, fits the bill completely for what this team wants:
-previous HC experience that was moderately successful
-can work with QBs, great success with matt ryan
-offensive guy which is pat bowlens usual MO, and his offenses are pretty fun to watch as well as being pretty high scoring.

Don't forget that he LOVES to run the ball, particularly with young QBs.

Smiling Assassin27
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I think we need to start from a defensive mindset, which increases the chance that we spare no expense to put a top-flite defense on the field each and every Sunday. Rivera is intriguing, as is Perry Fewell from the Giants. Even John Fox has some appeal as he was a DC before Carolina. Will that hinder Tebow's deveopment? Maybe, depending on whom the OC is, but I believe it's worth it to ensure that we stay in every game. Of course, hire the wrong guy at HC--son of bum, for instance--and you lose control of the team. Have fun picking the new guy, Duke!

If it were an offensive guy, I think I'd go with Billick as my first choice. He knows the value of an elite defense cuz he coached one in Baltimore so I don't think the defensive philosophy would be lost with him.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I think we need to start from a defensive mindset, which increases the chance that we spare no expense to put a top-flite defense on the field each and every Sunday. Rivera is intriguing, as is Perry Fewell from the Giants. Even John Fox has some appeal as he was a DC before Carolina. Will that hinder Tebow's deveopment? Maybe, depending on whom the OC is, but I believe it's worth it to ensure that we stay in every game. Of course, hire the wrong guy at HC--son of bum, for instance--and you lose control of the team. Have fun picking the new guy, Duke!

If it were an offensive guy, I think I'd go with Billick as my first choice. He knows the value of an elite defense cuz he coached one in Baltimore so I don't think the defensive philosophy would be lost with him.

say Marlarky brings in Marvin Lewis or another good DC with him...your point is moot.

bowtown
01-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Maybe, but you would also probably lose any semblance of a good offensive philosophy.

~Crash~
01-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Any word on Rick Dennison even being considered? Alfred Williams and Schlereth got me on the bandwagon. I know how that sounds.

He will be the last to be called in IMO. he will be the Broncos new coach by the way .

edog24
01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe, but you would also probably lose any semblance of a good offensive philosophy.

I was also wondering why Billick was thrown out there more. If we could end up with something similar to the Ravens D I would be happy with that. :sunshine:

Smiling Assassin27
01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
say Marlarky brings in Marvin Lewis or another good DC with him...your point is moot.

I don't know if it is moot. I'm talking about a mindset, not a scheme, coordinator, or player. An offensive guy is going to think offense first. And so it's conceivable that, given the choice between a strong offensive player in free agency or draft that would make the offense better or a strong defensive player which would cost more but turn a defense from good to elite, an offensive guy might be more inclined to go with the offensive guy. Bringing a good DC is a must for an offensive coach but a defensive guy's mindset is wholly different from a guy like Mularkey, Whisenhunt, or Garrett, IMO.

bowtown
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I was also wondering why Billick was thrown out there more. If we could end up with something similar to the Ravens D I would be happy with that. :sunshine:

Because Billick is a blowhard, who's main strength is bulding terrible offenses.

Smiling Assassin27
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM

At Baltimore, the philosophy was to ensure you win the game of field position, run the ball early and often with a bruising back and OL, and then expect your qb to convert 3rd downs and exploit mismatches in the pass game if they're there but DO NOT TURN IT OVER OR LOSE THE GAME.

Conservative but effective if done right.

Inkana7
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Billick was not behind the Ravens' Defenses. He was the OC for the Vikings when they were awesome in '98, but his offenses in Baltimore were very average. Probably because of guys like Kyle Boller, but I'm not impressed with him.

Smiling Assassin27
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Because Billick is a blowhard, who's main strength is bulding terrible offenses.

As i recall, his offenses in Minny set records.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
I would be open to this. Whatever doubts you had about him as a head coach you have to figure being under Smith helped in some measure.

I have to agree. Also, Mike Smith probably benefitted from having a guy like Mularkey around. The two probably complemented each other very well. I'm just hoping that if the Broncos bring in Mularkey, that it is indeed Mularkey's offensive system and not just Mike Smith's. That is, I hope Mularkey is the catalyst behind their offensive philosophy and development of Ryan, rather than just being a "yes" man to Mike Smith.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 10:36 AM
As i recall, his offenses in Minny set records.

Wasn't that during the Randy Moss era?

ICON
http://www.99chan.in/mech/src/124699350039.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
Billick was not behind the Ravens' Defenses. He was the OC for the Vikings when they were awesome in '98, but his offenses in Baltimore were very average. Probably because of guys like Kyle Boller, but I'm not impressed with him.

Ozzie Newsome was picking the talent. They had a top shelf runner, a road grader OL, and a qb (Dilfer) that was just above average. Their philosophy was dictated by the team they built--on defense, they were a once in a decade unit and so field position, lack of turnovers, running downhill, and special teams were emphasized by billick, not airing it out like in Minny where you had incredible skill guys like moss, carter, and robert smith.

bowtown
I have to agree. Also, Mike Smith probably benefitted from having a guy like Mularkey around. The two probably complemented each other very well. I'm just hoping that if the Broncos bring in Mularkey, that it is indeed Mularkey's offensive system and not just Mike Smith's. That is, I hope Mularkey is the catalyst behind their offensive philosophy and development of Ryan, rather than just being a "yes" man to Mike Smith.

Mike Smith is a defensive guy, why would it be his offensive system?

Drek
If Mularkey gets the nod anyone be up for Keith Butler as our next DC?

10 year NFL vet who spent 9 years in college (including one year as the DC of Arkansas State) and then spent 12 years as a LB coach in the NFL, 7 of those under Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

Seems like a guy ready to make the next step up and he has ties to Mularkey's old team where the two did overlap for one season together.

bowtown
01-04-2011, 10:38 AM

10 year NFL vet who spent 9 years in college (including one year as the DC of Arkansas State) and then spent 12 years as a LB coach in the NFL, 7 of those under Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

Seems like a guy ready to make the next step up and he has ties to Mularkey's old team where the two did overlap for one season together.

I'd take the defensive water boy from Pitt.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Mike Smith is a defensive guy, why would it be his offensive system?

I did not know that. Either way, Smith is still the HC and perhaps he's the guy who makes all the final decisions about the offense and it's schemes, but who knows?

Inkana7
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I did not know that. Either way, Smith is still the HC and perhaps he's the guy who makes all the final decisions about the offense and it's schemes, but who knows?

Yeah, Smith was the DC of Jacksonville before being hired by Atlanta.

Agamemnon
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I'd be happy if Mularkey is our next HC.....he's built a great offense in Atlanta, great running game and passing game.

Too bad defense is our biggest need...

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Mularkey with Butler would be a combination that I would be really happy with. I could see us keeping McCoy as OC, but I'd be okay bringing in the QB coach from Green Bay.

uplink
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Just think all these interviewees will be devising and discussing Tebow friendly offenses. Hope the broncos are taking notes.

PRBronco
01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Mularkey with Butler would be a combination that I would be really happy with. I could see us keeping McCoy as OC, but I'd be okay bringing in the QB coach from Green Bay.

What would the over/under be on games with solid defensive performances before a "The Butler Did It!" headline in the DP?

Agamemnon
01-04-2011, 11:14 AM

I just don't see Butler becoming a DC for us when the Pittsburgh DC job is going to be his in a few years. I'd love it if we could make it happen though.

baja
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
He will be the last to be called in IMO. he will be the Broncos new coach by the way .

Dennison is certianly my choice for HC.

Drek
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I just don't see Butler becoming a DC for us when the Pittsburgh DC job is going to be his in a few years. I'd love it if we could make it happen though.

John Mitchell, their DL coach, has been with the organization for 17 years and was bumped up from positional coach to "Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line", a common tactic to protect your positional guys from getting raided to be OCs or DCs for other clubs.

Ray Horton, their DB coach, has been with the Steelers 7 years himself and got the bump to DB's coach by current HC Mike Tomlin. Horton also has more NFL coaching experience overall than Butler.

The successor to Dick LeBeau whenever he does eventually retire isn't a clear next step for Butler by any means.

montrose
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
My top choice, Im very hopeful he gets the job.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
My top choice, Im very hopeful he gets the job.

why he is your top choice? Just curious.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

because he is a successful OC who helped develop a top 10 (maybe top 5) QB from a rookie, has a history of success where he goes and coached the hopeless bills to only winning season in like 15 years.

frerottenextelway
01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I hope it's not him. I'm by Pitt and Buffalo, and he's just not thought of as a good coordinator, much less head coach, around here.

Maybe he changed his philosophy, I don't follow Atlanta closely, but they certainly look real solid now - I just have doubts about him from his past.

listopencil
01-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm excited about the whole HC hiring process. I mean I am way more exited than when Shanny got fired. I guess it was just a shock to me that Shanny was canned with no clear replacement. Be that as it may, I am even more interested in who the Offensive Line coach is going to be. Seriously, we gotta run the ****ing ball. C'mon. Run. The. ****ing. Ball. We absolutely need a staff in here that will either coach up the linemen we have, change the scheme to something that works, or aquire new talent. Run. The. ****ing. Ball.

Rohirrim
01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm excited about the whole HC hiring process. I mean I am way more exited than when Shanny got fired. I guess it was just a shock to me that Shanny was canned with no clear replacement. Be that as it may, I am even more interested in who the Offensive Line coach is going to be. Seriously, we gotta run the ****ing ball. C'mon. Run. The. ****ing. Ball. We absolutely need a staff in here that will either coach up the linemen we have, change the scheme to something that works, or aquire new talent. Run. The. ****ing. Ball.

Which is why I like the possibility of Harbaugh so much. Anybody who turned Toby Gerhart into a star is my kind of HC.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
because he is a successful OC who helped develop a top 10 (maybe top 5) QB from a rookie, has a history of success where he goes and coached the hopeless bills to only winning season in like 15 years.

I know those facts, I wanted Mont's opinion.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I know those facts, I wanted Mont's opinion.

that will likely be along the lines of his opinion, mularkeys skillset and accomplishments mirror what denver needs most right now. honestly, i fully expect him to get the job and am excited to see it.

BroncosMT
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Mularkey is also being interviewed by the Browns as well later this week

go_broncos
01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hopefully, we hire Harbaugh..

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Harbaugh certainly is intriguing. If Harbaugh is serious about his liking Tebow, it could be the perfect match. My only concern is how he approaches the defense. My second choice is Rivera.

baja
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Why do people think you need a defensive minded HC to have a good defense? You don't

I'd like a good manager that will bring position coaches that are great at their jobs and then support them in doing the best job they can. I like Rick Dennison in this roll. He knows all three phases of football and he in smart and level headed, he also seems to have his ego in check.

2KBack
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Harbaugh certainly is intriguing. If Harbaugh is serious about his liking Tebow, it could be the perfect match. My only concern is how he approaches the defense. My second choice is Rivera.

I loved Stanfords D last night. Aggressive 3-4, playing fast and fundamentally

listopencil
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Why do people think you need a defensive minded HC to have a good defense? You don't

I'd like a good manager that will bring position coaches that are great at their jobs and then support them in doing the best job they can. I like Rick Dennison in this roll. He knows all three phases of football and he in smart and level headed, he also seems to have his ego in check.

Yeah, it's possible but not necessarily true. Look at our last two coaches. Hired as HC from the OC position so you could consider them "offensive minded". They showed an ability to build an Offense. They both ended up being terminated for a lack of overall team performance even though they put together potentially potent Offenses.

I think posters (including myself) who have leaned towards a "defensive minded" coach are doing it based on a perceived weakness in our Front Office, stemming from Bowlen, that gives to much authority to the HC position. Sure, I'd love to get that guy in here who is capable of actually running a team without putting too much emphasis on one phase over another. It would also be great if we found that guy and our owner didn't just suddenly gush like a schoolgirl and hand over the keys to the empire, so to speak.

Maybe with Elway taking Bowlen's place in the organization that won't happen. But those guys are really hard to find and we don't really know how the new Front Office is going to operate. Wait and see, I guess.

JDB7821
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Falcons' fan here, thought I'd give you guys some insight.

Mike Mularkey is running the offense here in Atlanta. Mike Smith manages the game from time to time, telling him what we should do in a certain situation and offers suggestions, but they are Mularkey's plays and Mularkey's scheme.

IF Mularkey becomes the head coach for the Broncos, you can bet he'll follow the same plan we did for Matt Ryan with Tim Tebow. In Ryan's first year, they worked on the short and intermediate game, then the year after worked on the deep ball (which is part of why he had a "sophomore slump"), and then finally let it all come together this season. This came from Dimitroff himself on how we developed Ryan, I'm sorry I don't have the link because I can't remember where I read it. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

As for his "Inspector Gadget" persona, he has done next to nothing close to that here in Atlanta. He had Harry Douglas run some interesting end arounds in his rookie year before he got hurt and used Jerious Norwood in some "Dirty Bird" formations, but he's been a no frills offensive coordinator and sticks to the plan. He's been nothing short of excellent for us, even if you read about some fans crying that he's too conservative. Yes, even with our statistical standings, you still have people complain.

The only thing I fear is that he takes our QB coach Bill Musgrave with him to be the offensive coordinator. He's had just as much a part of developing Ryan as Mularkey and Smith have.

bowtown
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Falcons' fan here, thought I'd give you guys some insight.

Mike Mularkey is running the offense here in Atlanta. Mike Smith manages the game from time to time, telling him what we should do in a certain situation and offers suggestions, but they are Mularkey's plays and Mularkey's scheme.

IF Mularkey becomes the head coach for the Broncos, you can bet he'll follow the same plan we did for Matt Ryan with Tim Tebow. In Ryan's first year, they worked on the short and intermediate game, then the year after worked on the deep ball (which is part of why he had a "sophomore slump"), and then finally let it all come together this season. This came from Dimitroff himself on how we developed Ryan, I'm sorry I don't have the link because I can't remember where I read it. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

As for his "Inspector Gadget" persona, he has done next to nothing close to that here in Atlanta. He had Harry Douglas run some interesting end arounds in his rookie year before he got hurt and used Jerious Norwood in some "Dirty Bird" formations, but he's been a no frills offensive coordinator and sticks to the plan. He's been nothing short of excellent for us, even if you read about some fans crying that he's too conservative. Yes, even with our statistical standings, you still have people complain.

The only thing I fear is that he takes our QB coach Bill Musgrave with him to be the offensive coordinator. He's had just as much a part of developing Ryan as Mularkey and Smith have.

Bringing along Bill Musgrave should give all those in the hire Bronco retreads/Colorado natives camp a big warm fuzzy.

JDB7821
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I hope it's not him. I'm by Pitt and Buffalo, and he's just not thought of as a good coordinator, much less head coach, around here.

Maybe he changed his philosophy, I don't follow Atlanta closely, but they certainly look real solid now - I just have doubts about him from his past.

And being from Atlanta with not a whole lot of knowledge about him before he came here outside of what he did with Randle El, I can assure you he has been a smash-mouth, run the football to set up the pass kind of coach. That doesn't mean he won't air it out...if any of you saw the game against the Ravens you'll know what I mean.

The only way I can relate him to the past jobs is that Roddy White has been playing the same motion wide receiver position that Hines Ward played in his system. Brandon Lloyd would flourish in that role.

frerottenextelway
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
And being from Atlanta with not a whole lot of knowledge about him before he came here outside of what he did with Randle El, I can assure you he has been a smash-mouth, run the football to set up the pass kind of coach. That doesn't mean he won't air it out...if any of you saw the game against the Ravens you'll know what I mean.

The only way I can relate him to the past jobs is that Roddy White has been playing the same motion wide receiver position that Hines Ward played in his system. Brandon Lloyd would flourish in that role.

Thanks for the comments.

I'll be open-minded if he lands in Denver, some people do learn from their mistakes and maybe he's one of them.

Rohirrim
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Bringing along Bill Musgrave should give all those in the hire Bronco retreads/Colorado natives camp a big warm fuzzy.

Yeah. That name rang a bell, but I had to go look it up. ;D

baja
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it's possible but not necessarily true. Look at our last two coaches. Hired as HC from the OC position so you could consider them "offensive minded". They showed an ability to build an Offense. They both ended up being terminated for a lack of overall team performance even though they put together potentially potent Offenses.

I think posters (including myself) who have leaned towards a "defensive minded" coach are doing it based on a perceived weakness in our Front Office, stemming from Bowlen, that gives to much authority to the HC position. Sure, I'd love to get that guy in here who is capable of actually running a team without putting too much emphasis on one phase over another. It would also be great if we found that guy and our owner didn't just suddenly gush like a schoolgirl and hand over the keys to the empire, so to speak.

<b>Maybe with Elway taking Bowlen's place in the organization that won't happen.</b> But those guys are really hard to find and we don't really know how the new Front Office is going to operate. Wait and see, I guess.

While this isn't a forgone conclusion I hope it is true for one reason, it will demonstrate that Pat realizes he needs help unlike Al Davis who still thinks he is on top of his game. I don't know how John will do but he does have a lot of good things going for him. He is well liked and respected around the league. We know he has "It" and that translates into all things over the course of a life time. He has had experience running a pro football team. He has had to learn the bottom line of the business of owning a pro football team. Players will relate to him and respect him.

For better or worse it does look like John Elway will be running the Denver Broncos.

JDB7821
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
While this isn't a forgone conclusion I hope it is true for one reason, it will demonstrate that Pat realizes he needs help unlike Al Davis who still thinks he is on top of his game. I don't know how John will do but he does have a lot of good things going for him. He is well liked and respected around the league. We know he has "It" and that translates into all things over the course of a life time. He has had experience running a pro football team. He has had to learn the bottom line of the business of owning a pro football team. Players will relate to him and respect him.

For better or worse it does look like John Elway will be running the Denver Broncos.

This is one concern I do have. I think Mularkey would do best in the situation Mike Smith came into, which is to have a true personnel guy as GM in Thomas Dimitroff. Not to mention our President Rich McKay spent several years in the same role and we had a front office with a track record of evaluating players. I don't know that the Broncos' current front office, even with Elway, would provide the same stability.

Although there is this little nugget I remembered reading about Mularkey before we drafted Matt Ryan:

Before the trip Dimitroff thought Dorsey, the LSU pass rusher, was the best player in the draft. But Ryan's workout in Chestnut Hill, Mass., and a three-hour dinner-interrogation started to change that thinking. At the restaurant Dimitroff tested the quarterback's loyalty to his teammates when he noted that Ryan's receivers had dropped some 50 passes last season. He asked if Ryan thought he'd have been a better passer with more talented wideouts. Ryan told the Falcons' group he'd take those guys any day of the week. "Perfect," Mularkey said later. "He could have killed them, but he was a great teammate."

Then in a 50-minute session using the whiteboard in the BC football meeting room, the coaches briefed Ryan on the offense Atlanta will run next season, explaining tendencies and playcalls. Musgrave drew a formation with motion, then gave the marker to Ryan. Mularkey would call out a play, and Ryan would have to show the route tree for his receivers and the progression of his reads. Ryan did so well -- better by far than the other five quarterbacks, Mularkey said later -- that the coordinator began throwing out more plays. For the final one, Mularkey described an option route with four receivers and quarterback movement, a play that sounded to Ryan like one BC ran called 335 Naked. Ryan rattled off the assignments of the four receivers and his progression -- how he'd look to the tight end first, slot receiver second and wideouts third and fourth.

"It wasn't just that he got it right," said Mularkey. "It's that he got it right fast, which is so important in this game. You've got to process information. We limit the terminology in our offense. We want it to be quick and up-tempo, and for the quarterback, intelligence is vital."

When the Falcons left Chestnut Hill for the airport, Mularkey turned to Dimitroff

"I'd take him at three," Mularkey said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1133668/2/index.htm#ixzz1A6nbwPiF

Requiem
01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
JDB, thanks a lot for your insight. It is appreciated by us all.

baja
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
JDB, thanks a lot for your insight. It is appreciated by us all.

and what you don't know is he is Mularkey's agent. ;D

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
This is one concern I do have. I think Mularkey would do best in the situation Mike Smith came into, which is to have a true personnel guy as GM in Thomas Dimitroff. Not to mention our President Rich McKay spent several years in the same role and we had a front office with a track record of evaluating players. I don't know that the Broncos' current front office, even with Elway, would provide the same stability.

Although there is this little nugget I remembered reading about Mularkey before we drafted Matt Ryan:

Before the trip Dimitroff thought Dorsey, the LSU pass rusher, was the best player in the draft. But Ryan's workout in Chestnut Hill, Mass., and a three-hour dinner-interrogation started to change that thinking. At the restaurant Dimitroff tested the quarterback's loyalty to his teammates when he noted that Ryan's receivers had dropped some 50 passes last season. He asked if Ryan thought he'd have been a better passer with more talented wideouts. Ryan told the Falcons' group he'd take those guys any day of the week. "Perfect," Mularkey said later. "He could have killed them, but he was a great teammate."

Then in a 50-minute session using the whiteboard in the BC football meeting room, the coaches briefed Ryan on the offense Atlanta will run next season, explaining tendencies and playcalls. Musgrave drew a formation with motion, then gave the marker to Ryan. Mularkey would call out a play, and Ryan would have to show the route tree for his receivers and the progression of his reads. Ryan did so well -- better by far than the other five quarterbacks, Mularkey said later -- that the coordinator began throwing out more plays. For the final one, Mularkey described an option route with four receivers and quarterback movement, a play that sounded to Ryan like one BC ran called 335 Naked. Ryan rattled off the assignments of the four receivers and his progression -- how he'd look to the tight end first, slot receiver second and wideouts third and fourth.

"It wasn't just that he got it right," said Mularkey. "It's that he got it right fast, which is so important in this game. You've got to process information. We limit the terminology in our offense. We want it to be quick and up-tempo, and for the quarterback, intelligence is vital."

When the Falcons left Chestnut Hill for the airport, Mularkey turned to Dimitroff

"I'd take him at three," Mularkey said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1133668/2/index.htm#ixzz1A6nbwPiF

Sounds similar to how McD grilled Tebow and how Tebow impressed the Denver coaching staff with his smarts. Granted, it was all spread offense stuff, but still, you gotta like Tebows intelligence.

Steve Sewell
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Mularkey/Musgrave has my Tebowner twitching.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Mularkey/Musgrave has my Tebowner twitching.

how sick would that be...one can only dream. anyone here seriously not want mularkey and for what reason?

montrose
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM

First and foremost, I must disclose I didn't think the Broncos would seriously look at him - so for this I am very excited. My guess was John Elway would look to those he knew and was connected with (Gary Kubiak, Jim Harbaugh, Jim Fassell, etc.) - and while that still may be the case I am very excited the guy I want to get the job is at least getting the 1st interview.

Now before I answer the question of why he's my top choice, let me go on to say that there are other coaches I'd be happy with too. Harbaugh, Mike Nolan, Perry Fewell and even Eric Studesville are guys I wouldn’t be disappointed with and see a lot of positives with I just happen to think Mike Mularkey would be the best man for this job, right now. My reasons why:

1) Experience - From the moment Josh McDaniels was hired to the day he was fired, Pat Bowlen was heavily criticized for hiring a guy with such a lack of experience. And for as much as I personally liked a lot of what McDaniels did, I felt when he was let go it was in the best interest to go with someone which we could say experience was not a weakness, but a strength.

Mularkey is 49 years old and has 17 years of experience coaching - all in the NFL – along with 8 years of experience as an NFL player. Not only does he have coaching experience, but he has NFL Head Coaching experience. In the immortal words of Taco John - we wouldn’t have a coach learning on the job – this leads me to…

2) Former Head Coach - The Buffalo Bills are one of the biggest train wrecks of an organization in the league and the last time they had a winning season was when Mularkey was their Head Coach. He helped rally a group of scrubs (which he did not pick by the way, their GM Tom Donahue did) to a 9-7 record his first year on the job. His second year he couldn't overcome their personnel headlined by Kelly Holcomb and JP Losman as his god awful QBs. So at the end of the year he bailed when Marv Levy was brought in, although he probably would've been fired anyway. Anyhow, I believe the value of having been in that role before is invaluable which leads me to...

3) 2nd time Head Coaches - Early in the process I did my research, talked to a few people and determined I personally wanted a guy who'd been a Head Coach before. There have been numerous coaches over the last 15 years or so that have had success after coaching somewhere else, examples include (with former team in parenthesis): Mike Shanahan (Raiders), Dan Reeves (Broncos, Giants), Dick Vermeil (Eagles), Bill Belichick (Browns), Jon Gruden (Raiders), Mike Holmgren (Packers), Tony Dungy (Buccaneers) and Tom Coughlin (Jaguars). I just think there's something very valuable (in all of business, not just football) about running the show in one location and then later taking that experience and applying it with a fresh start in the top spot elsewhere. That's not to say all coaches that failed the 1st time will be great 2nd time around, it was just my personal preference considering the situation the Broncos are specifically in. I also like the idea of hiring a guy who was a Head Coach and went back to being a coordinator on a team (not just his unit specifically) with success. It allows him, while reflecting upon his time in the top spot as it’s fresh in his memory, to see how a team that wins conducts itself. I'm sure Mularkey remembers the positives and negatives of his first experience as a Head Coach in Buffalo, with those experiences magnified by witnessing the success of Atlanta first hand, and would apply those with a much stronger organizational support system than he had in Buffalo led by Elway and Bowlen.

4) Coaching Philosophy - Mularkey's time in Pittsburgh can't be understated with Tim Tebow here. He (in my opinion) did a nice job playing to Kordell Stewart’s abilities and now with even more experience coaching a different type of QB in Matt Ryan - I think he could devise a system that would really play to Tebow's strengths opposed to hiring a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator that will try to fit Tebow into their system. I'm very hopeful that Mularkey will bring Bill Musgrave (who I wouldn't even be opposed to getting a Head Coaching interview) with him to run the offense. Musgrave is from Grand Junction, is a former Bronco, and has a wonderful resume of working with QBs - in working with Matt Schaub and Matt Ryan. I think Mularkey and Musgrave would do great things with Tebow and I have confidence Mularkey and Elway can build a strong coaching staff and aren't married to the 3-4 or 4-3. While he may be known for the gadget plays he employed in Pittsburgh, he has been a physical-style coach which is what this team needs to get back to. Whether it was Jerome Bettis, Willis McGahee or Michael Turner - Mularkey ran the rock and played tough football. I believe Mularkey's coaching philosophy is one that meshes well with the direction the Broncos need to go.

5) The fit with the Broncos - I firmly believe the Falcons-model is the one the Broncos should follow to rebuild. Mularkey just so happens to come from that tree (but that’s not the reason I want him, just another nice factoid). He will be inspired to be a strong football coach - not a power hungry coach/GM. He's seen how the Falcons built a great structure with Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith and could help bring that here with Elway and (gulp - that one’s for you Champ24 and SoCal) Brian Xanders. I wanted a very strong Xs and Os coach who can properly compliment an improved personnel department. I think his balanced and physical philosophy, hopefully accompanied by a strong coaching staff built from his contacts via Pittsburgh and Atlanta (and Elway's contacts too) is just what the Broncos need right now. From what I've gathered, he appears to be a solid coach who doesn't bring an arrogant personality that so many people criticized McDaniels for. He wouldn't be terribly expensive and I doubt would have major demands. We swung for the fences and missed in the McDaniels hire so I personally think it's wise to go with a safer coach this time around since this coach will likely be here for at least 4-5 years as to not diminish the value of the job after McDaniels was fired after less than 2 years. I'm unsure if Mularkey is necessarily the guy whose going to rise the Broncos from the dead all the way to championships - not that he couldn't; I don't see him as this "shoot for the moon" type guy, but rather a very solid coach to get the team moving in the right direction.

broncocalijohn
01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Mularkey sucks...

just for the sake of not hearing go broncos say the same thing over and over about Mularkey sucks, fire him! We should go another route.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
also want to point on montrose that the reason he resigned, as they were saying on sirius radio today, is ralph wilson asked him to fire his OC, and he did not want to. so instead of bowing to the owners demands but to the detriment of the team, he resigned and moved on. class guy, definitely is a great fit for this team and what it needs!

Gcver2ver3
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
First and foremost, I must disclose I didn't think the Broncos would seriously look at him - so for this I am very excited. My guess was John Elway would look to those he knew and was connected with (Gary Kubiak, Jim Harbaugh, Jim Fassell, etc.) - and while that still may be the case I am very excited the guy I want to get the job is at least getting the 1st interview.

Now before I answer the question of why he's my top choice, let me go on to say that there are other coaches I'd be happy with too. Harbaugh, Mike Nolan, Perry Fewell and even Eric Studesville are guys I wouldn’t be disappointed with and see a lot of positives with I just happen to think Mike Mularkey would be the best man for this job right now. My reasons why:

1) Experience - From the moment Josh McDaniels was hired to the day he was fired, Pat Bowlen was heavily criticized for hiring a guy with such a lack of experience. And for as much as I personally liked a lot of what McDaniels did, I felt when he was let go it was in the best interest to go with someone which we could say experience was not a weakness, but a strength.

Mularkey is 49 years old and has 17 years of experience coaching - all in the NFL – along with 8 years of experience as an NFL player. Not only does he have coaching experience, but he has NFL Head Coaching experience. In the immortal words of Taco John - we wouldn’t have a coach learning on the job – this leads me to…

2) Former Head Coach - The Buffalo Bills are one of the biggest train wrecks of an organization in the league and the last time they had a winning season was when Mularkey was their Head Coach. He helped rally a group of scrubs (which he did not pick by the way, their GM Tom Donahue did) to a 9-7 record his first year on the job. His second year he couldn't overcome their personnel headlined by Kelly Holcomb and JP Losman as his god awful QBs. So at the end of the year he bailed when Marv Levy was brought in, although he probably would've been fired anyway. Anyhow, I believe the value of having been in that role before is invaluable which leads me to...

3) 2nd time Head Coaches - Early in the process I did my research, talked to a few people and determined I personally wanted a guy who'd been a Head Coach before. There have been numerous coaches over the last 15 years or so that have had success after coaching somewhere else, examples include (with former team in parenthesis): Mike Shanahan (Raiders), Dan Reeves (Broncos, Giants), Dick Vermeil (Eagles), Bill Belichick (Browns), Jon Gruden (Raiders), Mike Holmgren (Packers), Tony Dungy (Buccaneers) and Tom Coughlin (Jaguars). I just think there's something very valuable (in all of business, not just football) about running the show in one location and then later taking that experience and applying it with a fresh start in the top spot elsewhere. That's not to say all coaches that failed the 1st time will be great 2nd time around, it was just my personal preference considering the situation the Broncos are specifically in. I also like the idea of hiring a guy who was a Head Coach and went back to being a coordinator on a team (not just his unit specifically) with success. It allows him, while reflecting upon his time in the top spot as it’s fresh in his memory, to see how a team that wins conducts itself. I'm sure Mularkey remembers the positives and negatives of his first experience as a Head Coach in Buffalo, with those experiences magnified by witnessing the success of Atlanta first hand, and would apply those with a much stronger organizational support system than he had in Buffalo led by Elway and Bowlen.

4) Coaching Philosophy - Mularkey's time in Pittsburgh can't be understated with Tim Tebow here. He (in my opinion) did a nice job playing to Kordell Stewart’s abilities and now with even more experience coaching a different type of QB in Matt Ryan - I think he could devise a system that would really play to Tebow's strengths opposed to hiring a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator that will try to fit Tebow into their system. I'm very hopeful that Mularkey will bring Bill Musgrave (who I wouldn't even be opposed to getting a Head Coaching interview) with him to run the offense. Musgrave is from Grand Junction, is a former Bronco, and has a wonderful resume of working with QBs - in working with Matt Schaub and Matt Ryan. I think Mularkey and Musgrave would do great things with Tebow and I have confidence Mularkey and Elway can build a strong coaching staff and aren't married to the 3-4 or 4-3. While he may be known for the gadget plays he employed in Pittsburgh, he has been a physical-style coach which is what this team needs to get back to. Whether it was Jerome Bettis, Willis McGahee or Michael Turner - Mularkey ran the rock and played tough football. I believe Mularkey's coaching philosophy is one that meshes well with the direction the Broncos need to go.

5) The fit with the Broncos - I firmly believe the Falcons-model is the one the Broncos should follow to rebuild. Mularkey just so happens to come from that tree (but that’s not the reason I want him, just another nice factoid). He will be inspired to be a strong football coach - not a power hungry coach/GM. He's seen how the Falcons built a great structure with Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith and could help bring that here with Elway and (gulp - that one’s for you Champ24 and SoCal) Brian Xanders. I wanted a very strong Xs and Os coach who can properly compliment an improved personnel department. I think his balanced and physical philosophy, hopefully accompanied by a strong coaching staff built from his contacts via Pittsburgh and Atlanta (and Elway's contacts too) is just what the Broncos need right now. From what I've gathered, he appears to be a solid coach who doesn't bring an arrogant personality that so many people criticized McDaniels for. He wouldn't be terribly expensive and I doubt would have major demands. We swung for the fences and missed in the McDaniels hire so I personally think it's wise to go with a safer coach this time around since this coach will likely be here for at least 4-5 years as to not diminish the value of the job after McDaniels was fired after less than 2 years. While I'm unsure if Mularkey is necessarily the guy whose going to rise the Broncos from the dead all the way to championships - not that he couldn't, but I don't see him as this "shoot for the moon" type guy but rather a very solid coach to get the team moving in the right direction.

okay, i'm sold...

McDman
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
also want to point on montrose that the reason he resigned, as they were saying on sirius radio today, is ralph wilson asked him to fire his OC, and he did not want to. so instead of bowing to the owners demands but to the detriment of the team, he resigned and moved on. class guy, definitely is a great fit for this team and what it needs!

Apparently Shanny did the same thing for Slowik, so it could be looked at as egotistical and stubborn as well.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Apparently Shanny did the same thing for Slowik, so it could be looked at as egotistical and stubborn as well.

you missed the "to the detriment of the team" part. shanny fired really good DCs but wanted to keep the one awful one...

Dagmar
01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Given the trainwreck that Atlanta was in to where they are, we could do worse than bring someone from there.

srphoenix
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Anyone notice that Mularkey kinda looks like a younger Pat Bowlen?

montrose
01-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Didn't know that. One thing I missed in my long post above is that I like the fact Mularkey has spent a long period of time with a winning franchise - 7 years in Pittsburgh; to go with 10 years spread out with franchises - Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, Atlanta - that have been both good and bad.

Requiem
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
What does he wear on the sidelines? That is what is most important.

montrose
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM

No hoodie, so he's allowed here.

yerner
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Wife Beater, Leather Biker Vest. He like's to show off his tats.

Dagmar
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Pretty sure montrose and Drek could sell me ice if I lived in the Arctic. That's not an insult.

bronco610
01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
okay, i'm sold...

As am I. Great post Montrose.

montrose
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM

The reality is that if someone was equally passionate about Harbaugh or another candidate I'm sure they could make many great points as well - that's just my take.

mwill07
01-04-2011, 09:38 PM

It truly was.

One criteria that I've been looking for (that Mularkey fits) is coordinator/position coaching work under different head coaches.

McD only knew the Belichick way. He is not able to pull the good stuff from multiple leaders and leave the bad - heck, he probably can't even recognize the bad. He knows nothing else. I'm talking about not just X's and O's, I'm talking about how you treat people, run meetings, organize practices, deal with the media, prepare for games, all that stuff. McD had never been exposed to a different way of doing things, so he was never able to craft his own style.

Mularkey has worked under both Sam Wyche and Bill Cowher before he had his own gig. When we went back to being an assistant, he worked under Cam Cameron and Mike Smith, this time with head coaching experience under his belt. He has had plenty of coaches to learn from, he has practiced what he learned in real situations, and gone back to learn different stuff from new guys. By now, Mularkey should be an extremely well rounded coach and brings a wealth of experience to the table.

I don't think we could go wrong here.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Now before I answer the question of why he's my top choice, let me go on to say that there are other coaches I'd be happy with too. Harbaugh, Mike Nolan, Perry Fewell and even Eric Studesville are guys I wouldn’t be disappointed with and see a lot of positives with I just happen to think Mike Mularkey would be the best man for this job, right now. My reasons why:

5) The fit with the Broncos - I firmly believe the Falcons-model is the one the Broncos should follow to rebuild. Mularkey just so happens to come from that tree (but that’s not the reason I want him, just another nice factoid). He will be inspired to be a strong football coach - not a power hungry coach/GM. He's seen how the Falcons built a great structure with Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith and could help bring that here with Elway and (gulp - that one’s for you Champ24 and SoCal) Brian Xanders. I wanted a very strong Xs and Os coach who can properly compliment an improved personnel department. I think his balanced and physical philosophy, hopefully accompanied by a strong coaching staff built from his contacts via Pittsburgh and Atlanta (and Elway's contacts too) is just what the Broncos need right now. From what I've gathered, he appears to be a solid coach who doesn't bring an arrogant personality that so many people criticized McDaniels for. He wouldn't be terribly expensive and I doubt would have major demands. We swung for the fences and missed in the McDaniels hire so I personally think it's wise to go with a safer coach this time around since this coach will likely be here for at least 4-5 years as to not diminish the value of the job after McDaniels was fired after less than 2 years. I'm unsure if Mularkey is necessarily the guy whose going to rise the Broncos from the dead all the way to championships - not that he couldn't; I don't see him as this "shoot for the moon" type guy, but rather a very solid coach to get the team moving in the right direction.

Buffalo had talent at that time and should have won more with the talent they had.

Also, Pittsburgh fans hated him. They couldnt get rid of him fast enough.

tsiguy96
01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Buffalo had talent at that time and should have won more with the talent they had.

good thing the fans know whats best Hilarious!

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 09:52 PM
good thing the fans know whats best Hilarious!

What are you?

Agamemnon
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
The reality is that if someone was equally passionate about Harbaugh or another candidate I'm sure they could make many great points as well - that's just my take.

NFL coordinators generally do better than college HCs when translating to the position of HC in the NFL. That would seem to tip the scales in Mularkey's favor it would seem to me. Though honestly I'll be excited if we land either.

broncocalijohn
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
If you were a spokeshole for Malarkey, you did a fine job Montrose. Tough to gather info on a team in the NFC and on the east coast. He probably is just acking to get back to being a HC.

Bronco Yoda
01-05-2011, 12:55 AM

nice post Montrose

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 05:07 AM

Thank you, that was one of the most detailed, thought out responses I have seen on the mane in a long while.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-05-2011, 05:45 AM
An NFL scout I talked to yesterday (no, it's not bragging. Just saying.) said this would be a "great" hire for the Broncos and that MM is a good coach.

JDB7821
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM

I do want to add this, just to make sure people are clear. I do NOT want Mularkey gone from the Falcons, I was just giving insight. This is the best coaching staff the Falcons have ever had and I don't want to break it up. With that said, he deserves accolades and even promotions for the job he has done.

Also, it should be obvious but hasn't been stated to this point, the Broncos have a lot more talent on the offensive side of the ball than when Mularkey joined the Falcons. I wouldn't expect to see a significant drop off. I do think you guys need a Michael Turner-type running back to complement Knowshon Moreno. I think Moreno would fit in like Jason Snelling does here, which is more of a pass-catching back that comes in to spell the main man. I know a lot of you might not be happy with a first round pick playing that role, but Snelling is a very important part of our offense and there are times I literally beg for Snelling to come in the game when Turner isn't doing well.

Although a lot of our fan base wouldn't be thrilled to see Mularkey go, there's a portion that want to "just see" Matt Ryan in a different offense, particularly one that airs it out. Believe it or not, in an interesting twist of irony, there are many clamoring to hire McDaniels if Mularkey goes.

Ray Finkle
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I do want to add this, just to make sure people are clear. I do NOT want Mularkey gone from the Falcons, I was just giving insight. This is the best coaching staff the Falcons have ever had and I don't want to break it up. With that said, he deserves accolades and even promotions for the job he has done.

Also, it should be obvious but hasn't been stated to this point, the Broncos have a lot more talent on the offensive side of the ball than when Mularkey joined the Falcons. I wouldn't expect to see a significant drop off. I do think you guys need a Michael Turner-type running back to complement Knowshon Moreno. I think Moreno would fit in like Jason Snelling does here, which is more of a pass-catching back that comes in to spell the main man. I know a lot of you might not be happy with a first round pick playing that role, but Snelling is a very important part of our offense and there are times I literally beg for Snelling to come in the game when Turner isn't doing well.

Although a lot of our fan base wouldn't be thrilled to see Mularkey go, there's a portion that want to "just see" Matt Ryan in a different offense, particularly one that airs it out. Believe it or not, in an interesting twist of irony, there are many clamoring to hire McDaniels if Mularkey goes.

get ready for the LT bubble screen.

bronco militia
03-19-2012, 02:21 PM
so, did Mularkey turn down the interview because of Elway, or Tebow?

something to think about if you think Tebow will be traded to the Jags.

bendog
03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
good pt. I do think Tebow is just a nice person who wouldn't make too many waves buried on a depth chart and selling tickets. His contract precludes that role though.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20207104/broncos-trade-market-tim-tebow-not-looking-good

I think they cut him.