PDA

View Full Version : Nick Fairly, DT Auburn

RhymesayersDU
01-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Nick Fairly, DT Auburn

Who knows anything about this guy? McShay's Top-5 picks flashed across Sports Center, that was ours. Peterson was #3 to the Bills, FWIW.

Board consensus: Yay or nay?

kdissette
01-04-2011, 06:16 AM
i say nay...DT are a crapshoot that early

oubronco
01-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Marcel Dareus is our guy

Man-Goblin
01-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Questionable effort early on in his college career. Disappears for long stretches, but has stretches where you're like whoa. Has a rep for not practicing hard. One good college year.

Should fit right in.

cbtigers
01-04-2011, 06:30 AM
I went to Auburn and leave and breathe Auburn Football. Fairley did take plays off and did not get full effort his sophmore year (oh yeah, he didn't get to play as much last year because of this), but his position coach got him going this past spring and summer. He has dominated teams with his quickness and strength. He will be able to play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Someone I know that actually watches college ball compared him to Pryce....

SoDak Bronco
01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Marcel Dareus is our guy

He wouldn't be a bad pick, the guy was an absolute beast against Mich St. First time I focused on him was that game, and oh my was he impressive. The dude can get pressure on the QB too.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Marcel Dareus is our guy

This.

Rohirrim
01-04-2011, 06:49 AM
We'll get to see Fairley against Oregon next week. In fact, he is the crucial piece of Auburn's effort. If he can consistently penetrate Oregon's backfield, that will mess up the lateral movement of their offense. Penetration is the key. I'll be interested to see how he plays on the big stage with a big responsibility.

Lestat
01-04-2011, 06:53 AM
i would trade down to get him if he's the BPA on the board. you can trade down 4-6 picks and still get him. him being the #2 pick will be insane unless he tests off the charts at the combine.

Dedhed
01-04-2011, 06:58 AM
At #2 Fairley would be a terrible idea. To me he has all the traits of a DT who will underwhelm until a contract year, show inconsistent effort and motor, and not adapt well to a scheme shift.

Pryce seems like a fair comparison to me, and he was a disappointment for a late first rounder. I think Fairley would be a huge disappointment for #2 overall, and even worse if we try to play him in a 3-4.

ayjackson
01-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Trevor Pryce was a disappointment? Wow. All Pro or nothing for some, I guess.

Mediator12
01-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Nick Fairley is a total stud player who has gotten better as he took the game more seriously at Auburn. He is an explosive Under tackle One gap type. The comparison to Trevor Pryce coming out is pretty good, except Fairley is more explosive coming off the ball right now.

However, he is not going to ever be a 2 gap player happily. See, Albert Haynesworth. He does not have the natural mentality to play the 5 Tech in a 3-4 front. It takes a special kind of player to be that guy. Marcel Dareus has proven that at Bama, Fairley freelances too much and does not like to take on defenders straight up.

I would love him if DEN switches to the 4-3 front again, but pass if they stay in the 3-4. He is not the versatile player needed to run that scheme, but he sure is talented to be an UT.

ayjackson
01-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Nick Fairley is a total stud player who has gotten better as he took the game more seriously at Auburn. He is an explosive Under tackle One gap type. The comparison to Trevor Pryce coming out is pretty good, except Fairley is more explosive coming off the ball right now.

However, he is not going to ever be a 2 gap player happily. See, Albert Haynesworth. He does not have the natural mentality to play the 5 Tech in a 3-4 front. It takes a special kind of player to be that guy. Marcel Dareus has proven that at Bama, Fairley freelances too much and does not like to take on defenders straight up.

I would love him if DEN switches to the 4-3 front again, but pass if they stay in the 3-4. He is not the versatile player needed to run that scheme, but he sure is talented to be an UT.

If we went 4-3, would you go for Fairley at UT or Bowers at DE…

Mediator12
01-04-2011, 07:22 AM
If we went 4-3, would you go for Fairley at UT or Bowers at DE…

Fairley. DEN has two Impact DE's in Ayers and Dumervil. Bowers is a stud too, but he scares me more than Fairley Coming out. Plus, DEN needs a Dominant inside presence and has a solid group outside to rush the passer. The presence of Fairley inside with Dumervil and Ayers presents more problems than having 3 Legit DE's.

meangene
01-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Agree 100%. I'm not sure I don't prefer Dareus as our pick either way due to the potential character / personality issues with Fairley. We can't miss with this pick and Dareus is much less risky. He always seems to play his best in the big games as well. But, damn, if I haven't loved watching Fairley play over the latter part of this season. Talented and mean.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Fairley. DEN has two Impact DE's in Ayers and Dumervil. Bowers is a stud too, but he scares me more than Fairley Coming out. Plus, DEN needs a Dominant inside presence and has a solid group outside to rush the passer. The presence of Fairley inside with Dumervil and Ayers presents more problems than having 3 Legit DE's.

So let's say they did revert back. Do you think Doom can hold up as a DE again?

DE- Doom
DT-Fairley
DT-Vickerson/et al
DE-Ayers

LB-Hagan
LB-Hopefully not DJ
LB-Hopefully not DJ

Smiling Assassin27
01-04-2011, 07:28 AM
The guy has a mean streak, and I like that. The potential down side is that he becomes Al Haynesworth--a talented and mean m-f'er who thinks he's above the team. I'm not saying that is likely but it's always a risk with guys that are supremely talented, poor, and mean as a copperhead snake.

If he lands in Denver--depending on who the coach and management team is--I will be pleased. He can dominate long stretches of game and is a quality run-stopper, so I would toss a coin between he and Dareus at this point.

Dedhed
01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Pryce was a prima donna who epitomized what it is to be a "ME" player. He was always more interested in making records, the music kind not the football kind, than he was at winning football games.

He was worthless his first 2 years in the league, had two good years right before his contract was up, and then his production plummeted as soon as he signed a new deal.

Always played soft and inconsistent football. Considering Pryce a success shows how pitiful the DL play has been in Denver since the Crush days.

ayjackson
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM

DE- Doom
DT-Fairley
DT-Vickerson/et al
DE-Ayers

LB-Hagan
LB-Hopefully not DJ
LB-Hopefully not DJ

I don`t think Haggan could play linebacker in a 4-3. He`s too big and too slow. DJ and Woodyard would be placeholders for now. Mays would become redundant too.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I don`t think Haggan could play linebacker in a 4-3. He`s too big and too slow. DJ and Woodyard would be placeholders for now. Mays would become redundant too.

I would trade DJ for a snickers bar if I could.....

ayjackson
01-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Pryce was a prima donna who epitomized what it is to be a "ME" player. He was always more interested in making records, the music kind not the football kind, than he was at winning football games.

He was worthless his first 2 years in the league, had two good years right before his contract was up, and then his production plummeted as soon as he signed a new deal.

Always played soft and inconsistent football. Considering Pryce a success shows how pitiful the DL play has been in Denver since the Crush days.

Well that seems like a harsh assessment, but I will defer. You are closer to things than I am and there was a lot less www 10 years ago.

Dedhed
01-04-2011, 07:39 AM

DE- Doom
DT-Fairley
DT-Vickerson/et al
DE-Ayers

LB-Hagan
LB-Hopefully not DJ
LB-Hopefully not DJ

Converting back to a 3-4 would be an awful idea. Our best player (Dumervil) is far better suited to a 3-4. Our best defensive prospect (Ayers) is far better suited to a 3-4. The 3-4 is far better suited to today's NFL.

We should be talking about building around Dumervil and Ayers as cornerstones. It baffles me that people want to take the only bright spots on that unit and devalue them by running a 4-3.

In your above model we not only have Ayers and Dumervil devalued, but DJ not even on the field. Get Real.

While we're at it, let's convert Champ to safety, draft Peterson but convert him to WR, move Woodyard to safety, have Larsen play MLB and convert Joe Mays to FB.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Converting back to a 3-4 would be an awful idea. Our best player (Dumervil) is far better suited to a 3-4. Our best defensive prospect (Ayers) is far better suited to a 3-4. The 3-4 is far better suited to today's NFL.

We should be talking about building around Dumervil and Ayers as cornerstones. It baffles me that people want to take the only bright spots on that unit and devalue them by running a 4-3.

In your above model we not only have Ayers and Dumervil devalued, but DJ not even on the field. Get Real.

While we're at it, let's convert Champ to safety, draft Peterson but convert him to WR, move Woodyard to safety, have Larsen play MLB and convert Joe Mays to FB.

I prefer the 3-4 but was asking Med's opinion. I think DJ is a waste. When was the last time he made a game changing play/stop? Maybe what, once a season?

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Agree 100%. I'm not sure I don't prefer Dareus as our pick either way due to the potential character / personality issues with Fairley. We can't miss with this pick and Dareus is much less risky. He always seems to play his best in the big games as well. But, damn, if I haven't loved watching Fairley play over the latter part of this season. Talented and mean.

Dareus doesnt get pressure like this guy. On passing downs, his ability go get pressure could help Doom immensely as well as make everyone else on the field better. People are making too many assumptions about him not being able to play in a 3-4. Also, Dareus has been worse than Fairley at taking plays off.

OBF1
01-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I just do not like the idea of a sub 300lb tackle playing nose in our 3-4. both of our OG's and center are bigger than that. I am not in favor of wasting the #2 pick on a college DT and then trying him at DE in the NFL.

PASS

ayjackson
01-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I just do not like the idea of a sub 300lb tackle playing nose in our 3-4. both of our OG's and center are bigger than that. I am not in favor of wasting the #2 pick on a college DT and then trying him at DE in the NFL.

PASS

Fairley and Dareus would both be DE`s not NT`s in a pro 3-4.

Mountain Bronco
01-04-2011, 08:34 AM
He wasn't even on the board at the beging of the year and then has one solid year? You can't take him #2 based on 1 solid year with question marks.

OBF1
01-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1

PASS Fairley and Dareus would both be DE`s not NT`s in a pro 3-4.

Read on brother

JDub15
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Patrick Peterson would be the wisest choice IMO. If not then Dareus is the pick and will instantly impact at 3-4 DE.

Either of those players would be fantastic. Anything else and I'm not so sure.

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I think it all depends, as others have sad, on what we do with our defense, if we stick with 3-4, I doubt we take Bowers or Fairley

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
He wasn't even on the board at the beging of the year and then has one solid year? You can't take him #2 based on 1 solid year with question marks.

Its not like he was at Auburn for 3 years and did nothing until his senior year.

meangene
01-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Dareus doesnt get pressure like this guy. On passing downs, his ability go get pressure could help Doom immensely as well as make everyone else on the field better. People are making too many assumptions about him not being able to play in a 3-4. Also, Dareus has been worse than Fairley at taking plays off.

As a pure pass rusher, Fairley may be better. But, as an overall fit in our system, Dareus may be the better guy. Making Fairley a 3-4 DE takes away his best attribute and exposes the weaker part of his game - i.e. holding the point and not necessarily making the play. I like Fairley much better as a 4-3 DT. If we go 4-3, the issue comes down to character. I disagree that Dareus takes more plays off and, until part of the way through this season, Fairley's attitude kept him off the field a great deal which has never been the case with Dareus. The question, if we go 4-3, is whether the light really went on for Fairley or is he going to revert? I bet he lights it up on Monday which will make the decision even more difficult.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
As a pure pass rusher, Fairley may be better. But, as an overall fit in our system, Dareus may be the better guy. Making Fairley a 3-4 DE takes away his best attribute and exposes the weaker part of his game - i.e. holding the point and not necessarily making the play. I like Fairley much better as a 4-3 DT. If we go 4-3, the issue comes down to character. I disagree that Dareus takes more plays off and, until part of the way through this season, Fairley's attitude kept him off the field a great deal which has never been the case with Dareus. The question, if we go 4-3, is whether the light really went on for Fairley or is he going to revert? I bet he lights it up on Monday which will make the decision even more difficult.

Why does it come down to Monday? So, if Fairly has an average or bad game on Monday, that erases what he has done up until now? Go look at the Alabama game. Fairley was a huge part of that game. Where was Dareus? If youre going to take a 3-4 DE this high, he has to bring something like an ability to generate pressure on passing downs. Fairley has been the best at doing that by far this year.

Dedhed
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I prefer the 3-4 but was asking Med's opinion. I think DJ is a waste. When was the last time he made a game changing play/stop? Maybe what, once a season?

I agree that DJ is mostly a waste of space, but, as sad as it may be, he's still one of our most talented defenders.

I would love nothing more than to get a 3rd rounder for DJ and sign David Harris, who the Jets might not be able to re-sign.

meangene
01-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Why does it come down to Monday? So, if Fairly has an average or bad game on Monday, that erases what he has done up until now? Go look at the Alabama game. Fairley was a huge part of that game. Where was Dareus? If youre going to take a 3-4 DE this high, he has to bring something like an ability to generate pressure on passing downs. Fairley has been the best at doing that by far this year.

Might want to read more carefully. Dude, I like Fairley and I think he will play lights out on Monday because he is motivated. It doesn't come down to his performance on Monday - that is not my point. My point is, he is a bit of a risk from a character standpoint and you wonder if he will stay motivated and keep his head on straight. I read an article in SI where his own coach talked about the turning point this season being after they got into a shouting match about his lack of effort. That makes me uncomfortable. And, I did watch the Alabama game and a whole lot of others. He is not a 3-4 DE but, if we go 4-3, it would be a tough call between him and Dareus and Peterson.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Might want to read more carefully. Dude, I like Fairley and I think he will play lights out on Monday because he is motivated. It doesn't come down to his performance on Monday - that is not my point. My point is, he is a bit of a risk from a character standpoint and you wonder if he will stay motivated and keep his head on straight. I read an article in SI where his own coach talked about the turning point this season being after they got into a shouting match about his lack of effort. That makes me uncomfortable. And, I did watch the Alabama game and a whole lot of others. He is not a 3-4 DE but, if we go 4-3, it would be a tough call between him and Dareus and Peterson.

Auburn runs a 4-3. Thats really all you can say about this.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM

He sucked his first 2 years and then got better in his third year, if I remember correctly. Mike Shanny then made him the highest paid DT in the league after one year of production.

Mountain Bronco
01-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Its not like he was at Auburn for 3 years and did nothing until his senior year.

Dude had 28 tackles and 1 sack in 2009. Pretty close to nothing. Didn't play much the year before. As I said, one season.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Dude had 28 tackles and 1 sack in 2009. Pretty close to nothing. Didn't play much the year before. As I said, one season.

He was at a juco/small college the prior season.

gtown
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
We don't have the LBs for the 4-3, except for DJ at Will. Much easier to trade one player than to do a full LB makeover IMO. Keep the 3-4, and go after Peterson (if he is there) or get Dareus. Dareus has not had the spectacular season that Fairley has had, but he plays the 5-tech, and from what I have seen, is great positionally. He does not overpursue against the run, can drop into coverage against TEs, and can rush the passer. He has also been pretty good for two years now, not just one. It's a crapshoot, but even if he busts, I think Dareus can hold down the 5-tech spot or can at least play next to Doom to counter teams running in his direction.

*WARHORSE*
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
This guy is Haynesworth in skill.....but even better. He has an explosive first step.

As for his potential, he has simply scratched the surface. He runs in the 4.8s.

6'5" 314, with speed, long arms, and good level technique at the college level.

With added muscle and continued tutelege with NFL coaches, he can be an absolute terror. Oh, and yes he has a mean streak which I like.

When hes able to use good hand technique, this guy makes it look very simple. Like a man among 14 year olds.

Nick Fairley is my number one on my draft board, with Quinn at number two, Bowers three, Peterson four.

Fairley will face double teams in the national championship game. Lets see how he plays. Auburn will move him around.

iforgotmypassword
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
fairley is a complete monster

cutthemdown
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Neither Ayers or Doom cover well explain to me how they fit so well at linebacker? For sure they both fit better at DE where they played in college.

You get 2 big DT and you put Ayers and Doom on the ends. You get some safetys that can play the pass and linebackers that can play the run. Right now we don't have the DT, the Safetys, or the Linebackers. Doom is horrid is pass coverage and IMO is better at end. Either way he stinks against the run so whatever.

cutthemdown
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Also I like Fairley a lot. You can play him at DT though in a 4-3 for sure.

ro_50
01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm going to keep away from my opinion on Fairley since I'm a lifelong AU football fan.

I've seen every snap of his this year and last.

crush17
01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Dude is kind of a cheap player in my eyes, and may very well be a head case. He's had one solid year of production and that was only after his position coaches were on his ass for a whole season.

Pass.

Requiem
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Fairley's arms aren't long, they are actually below-average for a 5 technique.

Requiem
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Except Dareus has an excellent record of getting pressure from the 5 technique spot at Arkansas.

Nick Fairley gets pressure from the tackle position in a 4-3.

Very few, if any draft analyst out there who is respectable projects Fairley to play in a 3-4.

Might as well save your breath or re-read Mediator's post. It is what I've been preaching for a while now, and is quite correct, and he put it better than I have.

If you are going to discuss prospects, or anyone for that matter, actually make sure they have scheme relevancy.

epicSocialism4tw
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
This guy is Haynesworth in skill.....but even better. He has an explosive first step.

With added muscle and continued tutelege with NFL coaches, he can be an absolute terror. Oh, and yes he has a mean streak which I like.

When hes able to use good hand technique, this guy makes it look very simple. Like a man among 14 year olds.

Nick Fairley is my number one on my draft board, with Quinn at number two, Bowers three, Peterson four.

Fairley will face double teams in the national championship game. Lets see how he plays. Auburn will move him around.

I'm sold.

Dedhed
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Neither Ayers or Doom cover well explain to me how they fit so well at linebacker? For sure they both fit better at DE where they played in college. I laugh whenever someone says "for sure" about things that absolutely are not for sure.

Doom is horrid is pass coverage and IMO is better at end. Either way he stinks against the run so whatever.
He's far better in coverage than at the point of attack. He proved pretty natural in coverage for a rush OLB actually.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Except Dareus has an excellent record of getting pressure from the 5 technique spot at Arkansas.

Nick Fairley gets pressure from the tackle position in a 4-3.

Very few, if any draft analyst out there who is respectable projects Fairley to play in a 3-4.

Might as well save your breath or re-read Mediator's post. It is what I've been preaching for a while now, and is quite correct, and he put it better than I have.

If you are going to discuss prospects, or anyone for that matter, actually make sure they have scheme relevancy.

Dareus plays for Alabama. No wonder.

bombay
01-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I hope if the Broncos stay put and get a D-lineman early in the draft, it's an interior lineman like Fairly or Dareus. We don't really need more end/OLB type of players. Elvis and Ayers have that covered. We need bulk in the middle. One of the big boys coming out, and if he comes at a reasonable price, maybe Hayneworth when Washington cuts him loose. That would require a commitment to the 4-3, though.

crush17
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Dareus or bust @ #2.

Realistically (and obviously only if some other team wants #2) they should trade back into the 6-10th spots and get more picks.

Drek
01-04-2011, 05:55 PM

PASS

Dareus has been a 5-tech DE in a 3-4 front all through college, except occasional 3rd down pass rushing NT duty. He's basically the exact thing we need on our DL.

epicSocialism4tw
01-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Dareus has been a 5-tech DE in a 3-4 front all through college, except occasional 3rd down pass rushing NT duty. He's basically the exact thing we need on our DL.

That sounds pretty sweet too. Its a good year to have the #2 pick.

Hamrob
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
DraftTech is a great Mock site...and they have us taking Fairley number 2:

http://drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

QiSports is another Mock site (Needs updated to current draft order) that has videos on their top 15 picks. You can see vids of both Fairley and Dareus on this site:

http://qisports.com/nfldraft.html

Here the best site out there for Mocks...many of which are starting to convert from 2010 to 2011:

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

Personally, I like both these guys and would like to get one of them....but, we need to trade back and pick up picks if we can. Also, I would take a DT/DE over a CB only if Champ is resigned. If Champ walks...I'd take Peterson...even though I really, really want one of these two guys!

Requiem
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Dareus plays for Alabama. No wonder.

Mixed up the team, but the points regarding Fairley are still valid and you've failed to address them. Good on you though, Lex.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Mixed up the team, but the points regarding Fairley are still valid and you've failed to address them. Good on you though.

Saying someone that is from Alabama, is from Arkansas is like calling an someone who is a Beaver, a Duck, no?

You seemed content to say the guy you were bickering with yesterday's opinion was invalidated because he got the team name wrong.

All you can really say is that Auburn plays a 4-3. You have nothing credible to say he cant play a 3-4.

Requiem
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
All you can really say is that Auburn plays a 4-3. You have nothing credible to say he cant play a 3-4.

I've already given my reasons why he is best suited to play in a 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4, as have others. Try and keep up. You'll probably be banned before then though.

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I've already given my reasons why he is best suited to play in a 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4, as have others. Try and keep up. You'll probably be banned before then though.

Why would I be banned?

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM

Fairly isn't 314, he's about 285-290

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Fairly isn't 314, he's about 285-290

He's right at 300.

Requiem
01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Why would I be banned?

Don't kid around Lex!

OrangeSe7en
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Don't kid around Lex!

Whats with this "Lex" stuff?

Requiem
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
You been smokin' rock again?

DefensiveBehavior
01-05-2011, 12:10 AM
BUM!!!!!

How is peterson not the pick here????
Pat is an absolute FREAK,and would provide game changing plays on D,Steams immediately....

Agamemnon
01-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Why would I be banned?

Just add him to your ignore list. That's what I did.

Mediator12
01-05-2011, 05:43 AM
BUM!!!!!

How is peterson not the pick here????
Pat is an absolute FREAK,and would provide game changing plays on D,Steams immediately....

You have watched the broncos with one the best CB's of the decade playing for them the last 6 years right? The one without a legit DL who simply can not cover everyone and tackle every play right? Who can be taken out of the game like Revis, Asomugha, and Woodson by a team with a legit offense, a solid OC, and a running game, right!

That is why a Great talented CB is not a slam dunk for a team with little front seven help and absolutely nothing on the DL to make a difference every play. We have plenty of internet know it alls here running around professing these crazy absolutes like they are maxims without exceptions. The draft is not that simple, please do not stoop to that level as well.