PDA

View Full Version : Grimace attacks Todd Failey & the Chefs.

Bronco Rob
01-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Chiefs are winning despite Haley

Let’s hope Charlie Weis and the Oakland Raiders derailed the Todd Haley NFL-coach-of-the-year bandwagon.

Haley — not his Kansas City Chiefs — is quite possibly the biggest fraud in football.

I say that without malice or pleasure.

Personally, I like Todd Haley. It’s true. Away from a football complex, removed from the overbearing presence of Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli, it’s my impression that Haley is a stand-up guy.

Unfortunately, he’s a fatally flawed head football coach. He’s insecure, mean-spirited, emotional and irrational. For two years, he has tried to master a Bill Parcells impersonation. Thanks to the Chiefs’ surprising rise from four wins to AFC West champion, some people have been fooled into believing Haley’s impersonation is working. I haven’t.

The Chiefs are my hometown team. I covered the team at home and on the road for 16 straight years before deciding in August to leave the newspaper industry and split my time between Kansas City and Los Angeles.

The Chiefs are the football team I know the best. They have the wrong head coach. I say that knowing Kansas City’s ground game and ball security give the Chiefs an excellent shot at making some noise in this year’s playoffs.

If the Chiefs do knock off the Ravens in the first round, the primary credit should go to Pioli.

I say that without malice or pleasure.

Personally, I can’t stand Scott Pioli. It’s true. In any environment, Pioli is a low-character, self-absorbed egomaniac in love with the sound of his voice. I call him “Egoli.” I love giving sports figures nicknames. Based on the feedback I’ve received from NFL people, I’ve never come up with a more accurate nickname than Scott Egoli.

My one regret about my leaving KC during this football season was the knowledge Egoli would face little resistance in intimidating, bullying and co-opting the local media. It doesn’t take much more than a wink, a nod and a visit to the GM’s office for local media types to get very weak in the knees.

Pioli is the son-in-law of Bill Parcells and, from his days in New England, has mastered a Bill Belichick impersonation. And I mean that as a compliment. From his general manager’s office, Pioli has re-created some of the New England environment in Kansas City.

When I watch the Chiefs play, I see Pioli’s vision and fingerprints everywhere. And I see Haley desperately flailing in an immature attempt to put his stamp on the football team.

Haley spent his first season hamming it up for the TV cameras, yelling and screaming at any player who dared to make the slightest error. This year, he decided he would out-Sean Payton New Orleans coach Sean Payton and stamp himself as the most swashbuckling gambler in the history of professional football. On fourth down, regardless of the situation or common sense, Haley turned down punts, chip-shot field goals and dates with 22-year-old supermodels so he could call a horrible fourth-down play.

It was bad football.

But Haley was sitting on house money.

for the rest of the lovefest...http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311

LOL

loborugger
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Wow. Say what you will about Whitlock, but he doesnt pull any punches.

Do most teams really do stuff like what KC did - call a member of the media unsolicited to put their spin on an event?

Taking the premise of the article at face value that KC has success because of a good GM identifying & bringing in quality players (that and playing a cup cake schedule), I have little doubt that Whitlock would agree with those of us that have been arguing that no matter what the team did with McD, the problem was with the GM.

Steve Sewell
01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Fatlock is the man!

bronco militia
01-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Fatlock is a great writer!!

SureShot
01-04-2011, 10:00 AM
"Haley is too insecure to work in a professional manner with confident, competent people for an extended time."

This sounds familiar.

Bronco Rob
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
^5

crush17
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Pretty harsh words there...

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/assets_c/2009/01/jason%20whitlock%20and%20big%20boobied%20friends-thumb-500x280.jpg

cmhargrove
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Why can't we get a mean-spirited egotistical GM that gets our team to the playoffs despite the poor efforts of the head coach?

I'm jealous...

schaaf
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
someones getting an STD ^5

24champ
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/assets_c/2009/01/jason%20whitlock%20and%20big%20boobied%20friends-thumb-500x280.jpg

Grenades bro.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4893/grenades.jpg

Broncos_OTM
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Jthrowing it up for the east side.. blah ...them girls need masks

Broncos_OTM
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Fatlock is right. The team is a powderpuff. A few more pieces could make them on top for a while they are a young team

Jetmeck
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Beat the Ravens...................who wants to bet ? I'll cover that stupidity !

Bronco Rob
01-06-2011, 03:43 AM
"Haley is too insecure to work in a professional manner with confident, competent people for an extended time."

This sounds familiar.

:wiggle:

Agamemnon
01-06-2011, 03:49 AM
I'm not even sure why the Chiefs are playing the Ravens. They should just spare everyone and forfeit. That game isn't going to be close. I mean we blew them out this year once for god's sake.

As far as Haley goes, he certainly seems over his head.

TonyR
01-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Wow, Haley is Josh McDaniels. The difference is Haley has a good GM who gave him a good team to work with. If only Bowlen and Ellis had the brains to hire Scott Pioli after they fired Mike Shanahan we'd be talking about our upcoming playoff game right now instead of this mess.

Haley was additionally blessed with Pioliís vision. In building Patriots West, KCís general manager has stocked his roster with the kind of high-character, responsible players other teams talk about acquiring but rarely have the discipline to do so.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots, the Colts and the Falcons, are the anti-Bengals.

In free agency, Pioli nabbed Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. All three are rock-solid, natural leaders. In the 2010 draft, Pioli scooped up a bunch of talented team captains and choir boys (Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki and Kendrick Lewis).

Rather than pollute his locker room with irresponsible millionaires, Pioli has filled his locker room with young people who have a track record of responsibility.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots and the Falcons, play a responsible brand of football. Itís not a coincidence the Patriots (10), the Chiefs (14) and the Falcons (17) led the league in fewest giveaways. Pioli and Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff learned the game working for Belichick.

Iíve yet to mention that Pioli used his Patriots background to help Haley land Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis as Kansas Cityís defensive and offensive coordinators this season. On paper, Kansas Cityís assistant-coaching staff is as good as it gets.

Bronco Rob
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not even sure why the Chiefs are playing the Ravens. They should just spare everyone and forfeit. That game isn't going to be close. I mean we blew them out this year once for god's sake.

As far as Haley goes, he certainly seems over his head.

:approve:

Crushaholic
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Whitlock has a great point. The success of the Chiefs had more to do with the GM and the coordinators. Weiss leaving is going to be a huge blow to the Chiefs, next year...

crazyhorse
01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
The run game was coming around before Wiess got there. I expect the tougher schedule will be a bigger blow to KC than losing Wiess.

As for Haley coaching, Whitlock has been a KC hate columnist since day one. Him saying he likes Haley is BS. He says it as a disclaimer so he can say what he wants like it's justified. The fact is, Haley has a great scouting background. He is as responsible for the great draft this year as Pioli is.

Haley is directly responsible for getting players like D.Johnson and D.Bowe to turn thier respective games around. Players that were always talented but just couldnt or wouldnt put it on the field on Sundays.

Im not saying he's a great coach or nothing like that. But Whitlock overplayed his opinion on this one. Haley has a few ticks for sure. The best thing he did was let his coaches coach this season instead of trying to do it all. Like McD.

Say what you will about Haley. But this team is headed in the right direction. Its hard for me to be overly critical of that. I love the players he is bringing in. And I love that we are winning again.

A failing coach IMO fails to do as well as the season before. He takes a talented team and loses talent while not replacing it. Then loses more games than the previous year. That simply isnt the case with the Chiefs. I know we had an easier schedule. But we couldn't beat the easy teams last season. At lease we beat the teams we were supposed to this year.

Im satisfied with year 2 of the rebuild. We are an improved team, no doubt.

As a candidate for coach of the year this season in most media circles, Im guessing that the majority would agree taht Haley is not the problem in KC.

Merlin
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow, Haley is Josh McDaniels. The difference is Haley has a good GM who gave him a good team to work with.[/I]
Actually, I think McD would have been better than Haley under the guidance and direction of a strong and effective GM. Many of his critics in this forum argued for that from the very beginning. That is why the true culprit for this mess is Ellis...yet he is still getting paid and has shown nothing to warrant his place within the organization.

Dedhed
01-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow, Haley is Josh McDaniels. The difference is Haley has a good GM who gave him a good team to work with.

I think the difference has more to do with Haley having very little authority outside of the coaching realm.

Taco John
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nf0oXY4nDxE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nf0oXY4nDxE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HAT
01-07-2011, 12:00 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nf0oXY4nDxE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nf0oXY4nDxE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Boob Mojo is boob mojo. :wiggle:

Ugly Duck
01-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Why can't we get a mean-spirited egotistical GM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8Bg24ViMOVv2JbL4QNEirrqf-BPEpmqpg4OJC08Z3iTXEKpk5

TonyR
01-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Actually, I think McD would have been better than Haley under the guidance and direction of a strong and effective GM. Many of his critics in this forum argued for that from the very beginning. That is why the true culprit for this mess is Ellis...yet he is still getting paid and has shown nothing to warrant his place within the organization.

I think the difference has more to do with Haley having very little authority outside of the coaching realm.

I very much agree with both of you. Part of me even feels a little bit sorry for McDaniels. Sure he made a lot of mistakes and has to take responsibility and shoulder most of the blame himself. But I really think if he'd been put in a better situation with a legit front office and power structure that he could have been successful. He wasn't remotely ready to handle everything that he took on and both he and the Broncos organization paid the price for that. What troubles me most is that most people are directing their anger and hatred at McDaniels and aren't saving enough of it for Bowlen and Ellis, and to a much lesser extent Xanders, all of whom are still there. And I'm not sure that adding Elway to the mix is going to magically fix the problem. There still isn't an experienced GM in the room. We don't have an A.J. Smith or Scott Pioli like our division rivals. It's too early to panic but the initial stages of the coaching search don't have me brimming with confidence. I really hope I'm way off base here but I fear we still haven't hit rock bottom.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-07-2011, 09:33 PM
All this Pioli > Haley crap is nonsense.

Haley is coaching up Carl Peterson's leftovers. That is the reason for the Chiefs' success.

Pioli is lagging behind on talent acquisition. He has produced only one impact player, and it's an arguable impact - Eric Berry. And that was a no brainer.

You might put Cassel in that category...we'll probably know after Sunday's game for sure.

TonyR
01-08-2011, 07:46 AM
All this Pioli > Haley crap is nonsense.

Haley is coaching up Carl Peterson's leftovers. That is the reason for the Chiefs' success.

Pioli is lagging behind on talent acquisition. He has produced only one impact player, and it's an arguable impact - Eric Berry. And that was a no brainer.

You might put Cassel in that category...we'll probably know after Sunday's game for sure.

In free agency, Pioli nabbed Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. All three are rock-solid, natural leaders. In the 2010 draft, Pioli scooped up a bunch of talented team captains and choir boys (Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki and Kendrick Lewis).

Rather than pollute his locker room with irresponsible millionaires, Pioli has filled his locker room with young people who have a track record of responsibility.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots and the Falcons, play a responsible brand of football. Itís not a coincidence the Patriots (10), the Chiefs (14) and the Falcons (17) led the league in fewest giveaways. Pioli and Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff learned the game working for Belichick.

Iíve yet to mention that Pioli used his Patriots background to help Haley land Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis as Kansas Cityís defensive and offensive coordinators this season. On paper, Kansas Cityís assistant-coaching staff is as good as it gets.

Problem is, Crennel and Weis leave Haley little glory to grab and even less work.

Haley is an ďoffensive guru,Ē the man who bickered with Anquan Boldin, annoyed Kurt Warner and watched Larry Fitzgerald as the Cardinals made an improbable run to the Super Bowl.

Just before the start of his rookie season as Chiefs head coach, Haley fired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Yep, Haley threw away an entire offseason of preparation so he could call plays for quarterback Matt Cassel. That didnít go too well. Cassel stunk last year.

Weis showed up this season and promised to fix Cassel.

Hmmm. Cassel put together a career year and probably deserved a spot on the AFC Pro Bowl team, ahead of Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning. Going into Sundayís season finale, Cassel had thrown for 27 TDs and just five INTs. He was fixed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311

Bob's your Information Minister
01-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I've read the article. Whitlock is wrong.

Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann are probably going to be liabilities tomorrow. All were terrible last week.

Bronco Rob
01-10-2011, 04:17 AM
I've read the article. Whitlock is wrong.

Fumball Charles, No-Show-De-Bo and Matt Ca$$el are probably going to be liabilities tomorrow. All were terrible last week.

;)

bronco militia
01-10-2011, 07:17 AM
a tweet from Jason Whitlock:

If Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Bowe and DeSean Jackson were blonde white women, their disappearances would be a national story.

Peoples Champ
01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
chiefs are garbage, and everyone saw that after crappy Denver blew them out by 30 pts.

They had a lucky year with a lot of wins in the last seconds (that houston game killed me)