PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Rule, who they going to bring in?

FantomForce
01-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Well if we interview Studesville does that take care of the Rooney :afro: rule? Still feel bad that somebody comes in just to get the "well we'll give you a call", then turns their back and says ok call Goodell and tell him we've complied

Requiem
01-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Yep, it sure does.

Agamemnon
01-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Studesville fulfills that requirement.

Caveat Lector
01-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I'd like them to bring in Fewell and Rivera for an interview, regardless of the Rooney rule...

DarkHorse
01-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Marvin Lewis ROFL!

Requiem
01-04-2011, 12:36 AM
My darkhorse pick. You guys saw what kind of job he could do in Remember The Titans. He don't take **** from anybody. I like that in a coach head.

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/DenzelWashingtonPicture.jpg

and then ou got this guy who make sure eveyrone in our lockeroom gets it or speaks it. You ChooSE!!

http://www.andpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/samuel_l_jackson_cool_with_gun.bmp

Requiem
01-04-2011, 12:37 AM
and then you got bill coosby who would replace wearing gay hoodies on the sidelines with cool sweaters or maybe even gary coleman. he will make our whole team look bigger. Wait he is dead right?

TailgateNut
01-04-2011, 12:45 AM
and then you got bill coosby who would replace wearing gay hoodies on the sidelines with cool sweaters or maybe even gary coleman. he will make our whole team look bigger. Wait he is dead right?

WOWHilarious!

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Well if we interview Studesville does that take care of the Rooney :afro: rule? Still feel bad that somebody comes in just to get the "well we'll give you a call", then turns their back and says ok call Goodell and tell him we've complied
Why should it have to be like that?

The Joker
01-04-2011, 01:11 AM
I sometimes can't believe the Rooney rule actually exists.

PC gone mad, if somebody doesn't want to hire a person because they're black then bringing someone in for a token interview isn't going make the least bit of difference or change anybody's mind.

FantomForce
01-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Why should it have to be like that?

I don't know that is the rule. Should be best candidate gets the job

cutthemdown
01-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Also they could interview ron rivera and fulfill that rule. I think Broncos could keep studesville. I really think they want to go cheap on the coach.

24champ
01-04-2011, 01:29 AM

Well then...he'd make the team look more alive on gamedays.

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 04:03 AM
My point was, just because they're required to inteview a minority candidate, why does that automatically indicate the interview can't be serious? There are plenty of good black coaches, so I see no reason to simply do an interview with no thought for hiring someone other than to fulfill this rule's requirements. We've got black coaches winning Superbowls, so if a team is merely going through the motions to satisfy Goodell's wishes, I think that's a foolish approach.

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Also they could interview ron rivera and fulfill that rule. I think Broncos could keep studesville. I really think they want to go cheap on the coach.
Going cheap on the coach...that's like putting a used tire on an $80,000 car...it make zero sense. The coach is highly strategic even if some people don't believe so, and it makes no sense to try to save there of all places.

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 04:10 AM

PC gone mad, if somebody doesn't want to hire a person because they're black then bringing someone in for a token interview isn't going make the least bit of difference or change anybody's mind.
Asking the same question now of you...why does it have to be a token interview? I don't think the rule is there to overcome Klan-like behavior from some closet racist NFL owner. I think it's there for PR impact...at the same time it's obvious the NFL has started opening doors to coaching positions to black candidates, so if the Rooney Rule encourages that...mayhbe it's useful on some level.

McDman
01-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Asking the same question now of you...why does it have to be a token interview? I don't think the rule is there to overcome Klan-like behavior from some closet racist NFL owner. I think it's there for PR impact...at the same time it's obvious the NFL has started opening doors to coaching positions to black candidates, so if the Rooney Rule encourages that...mayhbe it's useful on some level.

Its not always a token interview but has potential to be.

Say Pat Bowlen has a short list of HC candidates and just by chance none of them are a minority. He has to then call a minority candidate for an interview when he knows going in to the meeting he isn't going to hire the guy. It's neither good for the team nor the person.

I'd like to see this rule taken away mostly due to the fact that racism just can't exist in the NFL. If there is a candidate who an owner feels gives his team the best chance to win he will undoubtedly hire him. Winning in this league trumps most peoples feelings.

Kaylore
01-04-2011, 05:21 AM
I agree. Anytime you are forced to interview someone for reasons other than their qualifications, and especially for things like race, religion, sex, etc., I don't think it really fixes anything.

Jesterhole
01-04-2011, 05:30 AM

It exists because of the high number of black players who complained that most of the management (and all of the ownership) in the NFL was white. They said they wanted change, so the NFL pretended to do something and made up the rule.

Fair being fair, I think the NFL should also implement the Hillis rule. Basically, every team in the NFL has to try out at least 1 white running back before giving the starting job to a black guy. And every game a white guy has to run the ball at least 3 times.

This would make football fun again.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Studesville will fulfill the letter and the spirit of the Rooney Rule, because he's being seriously considered. I'd like for them to bring in Ron Rivera and a few others (Mornhinweg, though I think he goes to the Browns now, and Mularkey) before they make a decision.

broncogary
01-04-2011, 05:56 AM
It exists because of the high number of black players who complained that most of the management (and all of the ownership) in the NFL was white. They said they wanted change, so the NFL pretended to do something and made up the rule.

Fair being fair, I think the NFL should also implement the Hillis rule. Basically, every team in the NFL has to try out at least 1 white running back before giving the starting job to a black guy. And every game a white guy has to run the ball at least 3 times.

And don't get Jesterhole even started on the NBA. Ha!

TonyR
01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Carolina is bringing in Rivera for a look...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5986221

Man-Goblin
01-04-2011, 06:10 AM
I like Studesville. I would certainly be interested to hear what his plan is regarding the current/new assistants, installing/keeping certain aspects of the system, etc.. I heard him yesterday saying he had a lot of preperation to do for the interview, and it sounds like he at least believes he is getting a fair shot.

The Broncos could definitely do a lot worse, and at the very least I hope he stays with the team.

UberBroncoMan
01-04-2011, 06:13 AM
The Rooney Rule is a racist pile of ****. Forcing a magnifying glass on skin color is exactly what's wrong with this world. Teams should and do hire who's best for the job.

Garcia Bronco
01-04-2011, 06:23 AM
i wish people would stop talking about the "rule". Its an embrassment

jhns
01-04-2011, 06:27 AM
It won't matter if they interview like they did when Shanahan was fired. They interviewed a ton of guys and there were multiple minority coaches interviewed.

vancejohnson82
01-04-2011, 07:04 AM
It won't matter if they interview like they did when Shanahan was fired. They interviewed a ton of guys and there were multiple minority coaches interviewed.

weird, that we had to still comply to the Rooney rule after we had just fired a black coach

BroncosMT
01-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Carolina is bringing in Rivera for a look...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5986221

I would love to bring Rivera in....I think he is just what we need. I am hoping that Russ Grimm gets the Carolina job and we can swoop in on Rivera!

Play2win
01-04-2011, 07:46 AM
The Rooney Rule is a racist pile of ****. Forcing a magnifying glass on skin color is exactly what's wrong with this world. Teams should and do hire who's best for the job.

This. And for that matter, Affirmative Action, too. Call a spade a spade. Racist.
straight out. It should be unconstitutional. Get to work, congress and your "living piece of paper". But with this Congress, or any Congress in the last so many years, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Jason in LA
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm in total favor of the Rooney Rule, and the NFL has gotten the desired results.

When the Rooney Rule was introduced, there were only two minority coaches. Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards. That was 6% of the coaches. Last year 22% of coaches were minorities. There have been 9 black coaches hired since the rule was introduced, which is more than any other period in NFL history. The last three Super Bowls have featured four black coaches. Before three years ago there had never been a black head coach in the Super Bowl.

Is the Rooney Rule perfect? No. It is flawed, because some of the interviews are bogus. But has the rule achieved the desired results? Hell yeah!

Not all of those interviews are bogus. Some of the minority coaches have gone in, interviewed great, and got the job. The best candidate is still going to get the job, regardless of race. So saying that the rule is racist is silly. All the Rooney Rule is doing is getting minority coaches in the interview process, which was a major problem in the past. A minority coach can't get a job if he isn't in the process to begin with.

The positive results (more minority coaches) are far greater than the negative aspects (some bogus interviews) of the Rooney Rule.

I'd say that at some point there will not be a need for the Rooney Rule. When that will be, I don't know.

vancejohnson82
01-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm in total favor of the Rooney Rule, and the NFL has gotten the desired results.

When the Rooney Rule was introduced, there were only two minority coaches. Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards. That was 6% of the coaches. Last year 22% of coaches were minorities. There have been 9 black coaches hired since the rule was introduced, which is more than any other period in NFL history. The last three Super Bowls have featured four black coaches. Before three years ago there had never been a black head coach in the Super Bowl.

Is the Rooney Rule perfect? No. It is flawed, because some of the interviews are bogus. But has the rule achieved the desired results? Hell yeah!

Not all of those interviews are bogus. Some of the minority coaches have gone in, interviewed great, and got the job. The best candidate is still going to get the job, regardless of race. So saying that the rule is racist is silly. All the Rooney Rule is doing is getting minority coaches in the interview process, which was a major problem in the past. A minority coach can't get a job if he isn't in the process to begin with.

The positive results (more minority coaches) are far greater than the negative aspects (some bogus interviews) of the Rooney Rule.

I'd say that at some point there will not be a need for the Rooney Rule. When that will be, I don't know.

if the trend you describe here continues by 2020 we may need a rule that makes it mandatory to interview WHITE coaches

Jason in LA
01-04-2011, 09:04 AM

I've heard that point many times, and I'm assuming you're using it as a joke, but if you or anybody else is seriously using that as a counter to the Rooney Rule, that's flawed logic.

Players get positions mostly based on their physical attributes, which can be measured on the field, side by side with their competition for the position. Coaches get jobs based on their mental attributes, which they have to convince management that they have. It's a totally different process.

Players earn a position by proving what they can do on the field. A coach can look at players side by side on the practice field and determine which player is better. It's a real competition. It's not an interview. Coaches can see the results first hand and make the decision.

Coaches go through an interview process to get a job, which is totally different from what a player goes through to win a position. They pretty much have to convince the owner/GM that they are the right man for the job. They aren't competing side by side with other coaches. There aren't any drills or reps where the owner/GM can evaluate them. It's the coach going in the interview and convincing management that they are the right man for the job. In the past minority coaches weren't given that shot, and owners/GMs were just interviewing their own (white coaches).

White running backs have always had an opportunity to play the position. I'm not going to act like race plays no part in them being passed over. Hillis has had a hard time getting his shot, and I'd say that it is in part because he is a white running back. So he was moved to FB. But if a player is that good then he'll get his shot. But lets not act as if race has killed off the white RB. Genetics wise, blacks are more suited for the position. Are white coaches genetically more suited to be head coaches? Ah, no. That was the way of thinking years ago, which is why blacks were kept out of certain positions. But today we see that it is not the case.

Jason in LA
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
if the trend you describe here continues by 2020 we may need a rule that makes it mandatory to interview WHITE coaches

I'd say that in 2020, there will still be more white head coaches than blacks. Hopefully by then there will not be a need for the Rooney Rule. That doesn't mean that most head coaches are minorities, but that there are so many minority coaches being interviewed without the help of the Rooney Rule that there will not be a need for it.

When the rule was created there was a great need for it. There's no question about that. The question to me is how long will the rule be needed.

Garcia Bronco
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Who says something has to be a certain percentage of race. It's stupid. It's not a two-way street. It's not equal. And it's not right. I am flexible though. We can live with it for awhile, but then it has to go. Just like affirmative action, which under the 14 amendment is illegal, and so on.

Jason in LA
01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Who says something has to be a certain percentage of race. It's stupid. It's not a two-way street. It's not equal. And it's not right. I am flexible though. We can live with it for awhile, but then it has to go. Just like affirmative action, which under the 14 amendment is illegal, and so on.

So are you saying that there wasn't a problem in the first place? Was it perfectly fine when minority coaches weren't being interviewed and weren't getting jobs?

Race doesn't matter when everything is fair. In the NFL, when it comes to hiring coaches, historically it hasn't been fair. Really think about it. In the modern era, the first black head coach was hired in 1990. Ah, really?!?! In 2003 there were only 2 black coaches. That's a problem.

And people need to stop acting as if this rule forces teams to hire minority coaches, or hire coaches that are not the best person for the position. I could see everybody's complaint if the NFL said that they didn't have enough minority coaches, so the Broncos have to hire one. Okay, that would be a major problem. But all the rule is saying is to interview one. That's it.

Like I've said, at some point there will be no need for the Rooney Rule. Hopefully that day comes sooner than later. But so far the rule has been extremely successfully in bringing some level of equality when it comes to NFL head coaches.

MplsBronco
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM

He is dead. He even had his name placed on his casket.

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/66/766/9/11/4/2336911040104973077jGVIZQ_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2336911040104973077jGVIZQ)

Garcia Bronco
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
No. I didn't and don't see a problem because I don't care about race. Like I said though; Its okay for a time because it means so much to people. At some point it has to go.

So are you saying that there wasn't a problem in the first place? Was it perfectly fine when minority coaches weren't being interviewed and weren't getting jobs?

Race doesn't matter when everything is fair. In the NFL, when it comes to hiring coaches, historically it hasn't been fair. Really think about it. In the modern era, the first black head coach was hired in 1990. Ah, really?!?! In 2003 there were only 2 black coaches. That's a problem.

And people need to stop acting as if this rule forces teams to hire minority coaches, or hire coaches that are not the best person for the position. I could see everybody's complaint if the NFL said that they didn't have enough minority coaches, so the Broncos have to hire one. Okay, that would be a major problem. But all the rule is saying is to interview one. That's it.

Like I've said, at some point there will be no need for the Rooney Rule. Hopefully that day comes sooner than later. But so far the rule has been extremely successfully in bringing some level of equality when it comes to NFL head coaches.

broncolife
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Lets bring in a Japanese coach

Requiem
01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
God bless you and your avatars. I'm pumping one out now, broncolife!

El Guapo
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Welcome to life in the real world.

NUB
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Not knowing any other black guys, Bowlen will interview Mike Tomlin.

Jason in LA
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
No. I didn't and don't see a problem because I don't care about race. Like I said though; Its okay for a time because it means so much to people. At some point it has to go.

So you had no problem with qualified coaches getting passed over for years because of the color of their skin? Ah... okay. Did you also see nothing wrong with segregation? I'm just saying.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2011, 06:04 AM
So you had no problem with qualified coaches getting passed over for years because of the color of their skin? Ah... okay. Did you also see nothing wrong with segregation? I'm just saying.

I was not alive during segregation. So I don't know. I don't care. I don't view the world through a racial lens. So I don't care what skin color the coaches are. I don't care how many there are.

montrose
01-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Perry Fewell is getting interviewed too, so that's two minority candidates.

I'm not 100%, but I remember hearing the Steelers were planning on going with Ken Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm after Bill Cowher left but after interviewing Mike Tomlin to satisfy the rule they were won over and hired him. So I guess there's one example of it working.

Hogan11
01-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I would love to bring Rivera in....I think he is just what we need. I am hoping that Russ Grimm gets the Carolina job and we can swoop in on Rivera!

So would I, but there's been no word out of the Denver front office that I know of about even considering Rivera for the job.

Which means the Carolina brass is way smarter than what we have in the Denver front office IMHO. If defense is your year to year open sore, why not at least interview the guy who made garbage into a top NFL D?

BroncosMT
01-05-2011, 07:53 AM
So would I, but there's been no word out of the Denver front office that I know of about even considering Rivera for the job.

Which means the Carolina brass is way smarter than what we have in the Denver front office IMHO. If defense is your year to year open sore, why not at least interview the guy who made garbage into a top NFL D?

It totally doesn't make sense to me.....this guy has had a top notch defense wverywhere he has gone.....he knows what it takes to win and should be given an opportunity. He is my number one choice but John just won't answer my calls....hehe

Pony Boy
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
What about the Mickey Rooney rule....... don't we have to interview a midget?

Jason in LA
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I was not alive during segregation. So I don't know. I don't care. I don't view the world through a racial lens. So I don't care what skin color the coaches are. I don't care how many there are.

I was not alive during segregation either, but I can see it as being an embarrassment to this country. You don't need to be alive for something to know that it was a problem.

Back to the current issue, you don't have to look through a racial lens to have an issue with somebody being passed up based on the color of their skin. That was happening in the NFL this century. I'll say it again, this century. Not 50 years ago. Within the last 10 years. If you see no problem with that, I don't know what to say. I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around that. I can understand a person not caring what the number is, as long as everybody had a fair shot and the number just ended up somewhere. But until recently, minorities weren't even getting a fair shot to get head coaching jobs. That is a problem. Every coach, regardless of race, should have an equal opportunity at getting a job. They should all be a part of the hiring process.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
How do you know they were being passed up because of their color of skin? That's an opinion. It's not a fact. But even if you are right, this isn't the way to do it long term. Which you've stated as well.

listopencil
01-05-2011, 04:41 PM

I have a problem with Affirmative Action because it doesn't work. Fighting racism with, wait for it...more racism. Yay!

Jesterhole
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Dude, this thread was fun before you got here...go be offended somewhere else.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

He's not offended in an emotional way. It's intellectual discussion.

Jason in LA
01-06-2011, 01:40 AM

Oh, people complaining about minorities simply getting an interview. Sorry if I missed the fun part.

TailgateNut
01-06-2011, 01:49 AM

The Rooney rule is BS. I someone is qualified, he'll get an interview regardless, if he's isn't, they'll go through the motions due to this stupid ass rule, and he wont be considered.

extralife
01-06-2011, 01:53 AM
I someone is qualified, he'll get an interview regardless

the problem is that wasn't the case. the token interviews are stupid as hell, but sometimes they pay off. Leslie Frazier was a token interviewer for a while, then he got real interviews, and now he's the coach of the Vikings.

Jason in LA
01-06-2011, 01:53 AM
How do you know they were being passed up because of their color of skin? That's an opinion. It's not a fact. But even if you are right, this isn't the way to do it long term. Which you've stated as well.

Well then why did the NFL go 70 years without a black coach? Come on now, lets not act like we don't know what was going on. Do you know what happened to the first black head coach? He was kicked out the league along with all the other black players.

So, do you think that without the Rooney Rule there would be as many black coaches today? I hope you don't think that. There has never been a period in NFL history where this many black coaches have been hired. It all started with the Rooney Rule getting minorities into the interview process.

And yes, I do believe that with the progress that has been made since the Rooney Rule was established, at some point it will not be needed. Hopefully that is in the near future. Seeing that teams are interviewing multiple minorities when they are looking for a coach, which means that they are looking at minority candidates even when they do not have to, the rule is becoming less needed. 10 years ago that was not the case, which is why the rule was created.

Jason in LA
01-06-2011, 01:58 AM
The Rooney rule is BS. I someone is qualified, he'll get an interview regardless, if he's isn't, they'll go through the motions due to this stupid ass rule, and he wont be considered.

Well I'm not going to restate all of my points, you can go back and read them in this thread. But the problem was that there were many qualified minority candidates who kept getting passed over, and many weren't getting an interview. So something had to be done. Because of the rule minorities are a part of the interview process, which has led to more jobs. Like I've said a few times, at some point there will be no need for this rule because minorities are now in the interview process. But there was a need for the rule when it was created.

TailgateNut
01-06-2011, 01:59 AM
I have a problem with Affirmative Action because it doesn't work. Fighting racism with, wait for it...more racism. Yay!

THIS!...although it's wasn't racism in the first place.

Affirmative action is a joke in most areas of the country. There remain some pockets of America where Racism is still "alive and well" today, but who, in their right mind, would live there?

TailgateNut
01-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Well I'm not going to restate all of my points, you can go back and read them in this thread. But the problem was that there were many qualified minority candidates who kept getting passed over, and many weren't getting an interview. So something had to be done. Because of the rule minorities are a part of the interview process, which has led to more jobs. Like I've said a few times, at some point there will be no need for this rule because minorities are now in the interview process. But there was a need for the rule when it was created.

I read the frigging thread. Just because we don't agree, doesn't mean I'm ignorant and you're a genius. It just means that you think that these coaches were "passed over/ never interviewed" because of the color of their skin. Horse-dookie. It's all about merit. Did their past performance warrant someone spending their time and money to interview them?

If someone were to "force me" to interview a certain race or gender, I would be less likely to hire them, just because I was forced. Just tellin' it like it is!

Jason in LA
01-06-2011, 02:14 AM
I read the frigging thread. Just because we don't agree, doesn't mean I'm ignorant and you're a genius. It just means that you think that these coaches were "passed over/ never interviewed" because of the color of their skin. Horse-dookie. It's all about merit. Did their past performance warrant someone spending their time and money to interview them?

If someone were to "force me" to interview a certain race or gender, I would be less likely to hire them, just because I was forced. Just tellin' it like it is!

Where did I say or imply that you are ignorant? The bulk of my points counter your argument, but I'm not going to restate all of them. My point didn't imply that you hadn't read the thread. I didn't know if you read the thread or not, so it simply means that if you didn't then you can go back and read all of my points without me having to restate them. I'm not going to restate all of those points to counter everybody's argument.

I really don't even know why you took it that way.

To counter your final point, seeing that more minority coaches have been hired than ever since the rule was created, NFL owners and GMs aren't thinking like you. Just tellin' it like it is!

atomicbloke
01-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Rooney Rule isn't like real affirmative action. If it stated that the minority coach has to be hired, then it would be. But it just states that at least one minority coach has to be interviewed, no compulsion to hire.

And it did work. Tomlin was interviewed just to fulfill the Rooney Rule, but he made an impression and got the gig, and won the Super Bowl. Similar situation with Frazier and Morris.

In 5 years, every qualified candidate will be getting interviews regardless of race and the Rooney Rule will not be needed. But when the Rule was enacted, it was needed to "get over the hump", and it worked well then.