PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Lloyd talks about the mid-season shake-up

Taco John
01-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Brandon Lloyd talked about the final days of McDaniel's on The Drive on Monday during hour 1. I thought it was interesting because he's the first player I've heard talk about what happened in the post mortem. Here is the transcript:

Dmac: Let me ask you then, Brandon. This is definitely a conflict for you. I mean if it weren't for Josh McDaniels, you might not be back in the NFL... How did it really go down, when everything was falling apart? How were the final days for you as a player, and what can you tell us from what you were seeing going on?

Brandon Lloyd: I don't know. It wasn't anything different. It was the same coaching, same coaching techniques. Nothing was changing. It wasn't like he was folding up the tents and letting the players run wild. He coached the way he coached up to the last meeting - in which he probably knew he was gone, but we didn't.

Dmac: Did the players suspect what was happening - what was about to happen? Was there talk about that?

BL: There was only talk about it after the film incident. After all that came out, then it was like 'alright... something is going to happen at the end of the year." Not "Next week." It wasn't something that we thought would be immediate. Because at the end of the year, we're all up for evaluation. We all can be traded, cut, released, done, whatever - and coaches are no different. At least I expected it at the end of the year, but not during the season.

Dmac: What was it like after it happened then?

BL: I think it was refreshing, guys were excited. Guys were happy for coach Eric (Studesville) - I think that is what brought most of the energy and joy to the locker room, as opposed to it being all sadness or guys like "damn right he should have been out a long time ago."

Dmac: It wasn't anger against (Josh)?

BL: Because we had someone to replace him that we were excited for. We were happy for him. We wanted to play for him. So it softened that up. And it was even the same thing with the Orton situation. It was like, "alright, he's hurt, his job has been given away," but then we're like "you know, we're excited to see what Tim has." It was a roller coaster season emotionally, but there were still things to be excited for, and there were things that we would play for.

Source:Drive Hour 1 - 1/3/11
It happened in the last 3 minutes closing hour one
http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1623

Los Broncos
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Soounds likes the players were happy to see McDaniels gone.

strafen
01-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow!
I just hope we'll never have a season like this one again.

Archer81
01-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Wow!
I just hope we'll never have a season like this one again.

Fans old enough to remember the 1960's agree.

I'm not one of them, but that decade had to be a rough one.

:Broncos:

Taco John
01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
The stuff about Josh is interesting, but I think the real news here is the stuff about Studesville. I mentioned it in another thread, but to hear a star player on the team talk about Studesville like this gives me pause about the coaching situation. I know people are clamoring for a big name, or a hot prospect, but from the looks of things, that isn't going to materialize. For my part, I think it's more important who you get as an OC and a DC once you've got a competent communicator in place as the HC. It appears that Studesville could possibly be that competent communicator.

I'm not sold on the idea yet, but I would find plenty to be optimistic about if the Broncos start listening to what the players are saying, and taking note of the love he receives from them. Lloyd said a lot about Studesville on the radio today, and nearly all of it was glowing about how he's such a consistent guy who has earned the respect of everyone in the locker room. He's not good cop, bad cop, but always a professional guy who sincerely cares about everyone in that locker room... Etc.

It's like I said in the other thread... I'm not yet sold on the idea, but I'm more sold on it today than I was yesterday.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Fans old enough to remember the 1960's agree.

I'm not one of them, but that decade had to be a rough one.

Yes and no. I've been told that they were just happy to get a team. Expectations weren't what they are today. It was certainly a rough time for the Broncos, but in the one cow town that Denver was at the time, it was great just to have a team to root for.

Archer81
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Yes and no. I've been told that they were just happy to get a team. Expectations weren't what they are today. It was certainly a rough time for the Broncos, but in the one cow town that Denver was at the time, it was great just to have a team to root for.

I was born in 1981, right before the "golden age" of Broncos football. From what my mom has told me, the 60's Broncos fans knew the team would be terrible, and it did not matter. My grandfather would have the Broncos games on the radio every sunday without fail.

strafen
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
The stuff about Josh is interesting, but I think the real news here is the stuff about Studesville. I mentioned it in another thread, but to hear a star player on the team talk about Studesville like this gives me pause about the coaching situation. I know people are clamoring for a big name, or a hot prospect, but from the looks of things, that isn't going to materialize. For my part, I think it's more important who you get as an OC and a DC once you've got a competent communicator in place as the HC. It appears that Studesville could possibly be that competent communicator.

I'm not sold on the idea yet, but I would find plenty to be optimistic about if the Broncos start listening to what the players are saying, and taking note of the love he receives from them. Lloyd said a lot about Studesville on the radio today, and nearly all of it was glowing about how he's such a consistent guy who has earned the respect of everyone in the locker room. He's not good cop, bad cop, but always a professional guy who sincerely cares about everyone in that locker room... Etc.

It's like I said in the other thread... I'm not yet sold on the idea, but I'm more sold on it today than I was yesterday.While I tend to agree with most of what you've said, I still think we need experienced leadership.
Stud is too raw for this undertaking...

Taco John
01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
While I tend to agree with most of what you've said, I still think we need experienced leadership.
Stud is too raw for this undertaking...

I also think that we need experienced leadership. I'm not big on the idea of a prospect coming in at HC.

But this being said, It's good to know that there are reasons for optimism if things shook out in this direction.

broncocalijohn
01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
We need someone with big time coaching ability for our HC. He might be a great guy and coach but I doubt someone comes in a keeps him unless the FO wants him in some capacity in the offense. He does seem like a great guy to have the players around but I want a winner that is established in that position.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 11:48 PM
No...it still sucked just as bad when they lost. Back then we had no playoff visits to discuss and it appeared we might never get one. The motto every year was, "wait till next year".

It took 28 years of me watching this team before they won the Superbowl. This is really nothing when you consider how fortunes can change so quickly.

enjolras
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Someone needs to transcribe later in the interview when Brandon gushes over Orton.

Requiem
01-04-2011, 12:19 AM
http://www.bangersandnash.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Shake-and-Bake.jpg

mkporter
01-04-2011, 07:06 AM

It's like I said in the other thread... I'm not yet sold on the idea, but I'm more sold on it today than I was yesterday.

That's great and all, but I remember how excited champ was to have Slowick as DC.

BroncosMT
01-04-2011, 07:08 AM
When BL talks about the change being "refreshing" has to make one wonder how bad things were

oubronco
01-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Well the players were saying good things about Slowick too so I wouldn't put too much stock into it

TonyR
01-04-2011, 07:14 AM
That's great and all, but I remember how excited champ was to have Slowick as DC.

Yup, and players gushing about assistants during shakeups is very common. You almost have to dismiss what players say. It's not a popularlity contest, and "player's coaches" are often failures. You need to hire the best guy, not the most popular.

Kaylore
01-04-2011, 07:54 AM
I guess I'll leak this: I have it on good authority that the players did not like McDaniels' system. Apparently when they say he "puts pressure on the players to make the plays" there was too much pressure. The pre-snap reads had to be near instantaneous and the amount of route combinations and their respective blitz adjustments were difficult for many of the players. It apparently is a very mentally taxing system and one that took a lot of the fun out of playing football offensively.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I guess I'll leak this: I have it on good authority that the players did not like McDaniels' system. Apparently when they say he "puts pressure on the players to make the plays" there was too much pressure. The pre-snap reads had to be near instantaneous and the amount of route combinations and their respective blitz adjustments were difficult for many of the players. It apparently is a very mentally taxing system and one that took a lot of the fun out of playing football offensively.

do you think they players couldn't "handle" it or was it just the way it was taught?

bronco militia
01-04-2011, 07:58 AM

that would explain the team slide after the season's turning point (Raider Game)

Dutch
01-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Yup, and players gushing about assistants during shakeups is very common. You almost have to dismiss what players say. It's not a popularlity contest, and "player's coaches" are often failures. You need to hire the best guy, not the most popular.

Just remember that also so goes for the "Big name" coaches as well. People here in Atlanta pitched a fit when Mike Smith was hired, now they have one of the finest, steadiest, and stablest coaches and staffs in the NFL. Studes reminds me a lot of Mike Smith in his demeanor and the way he interacts with the players. I almost wish he had been given several more games this season to see how he handled it. As it is, I think he has done a good job in a tough situation and will gte a chance to interview for the gig. I wish him well as I feel like he is a good man.

Rascal
01-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Wasn't it Lloyd who when asked what his thoughts were on the new HC said, "who"?

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 08:09 AM

they were his hand picked guys for the most part too....interesting

Kaylore
01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
do you think they players couldn't "handle" it or was it just the way it was taught?

It wasn't about not knowing it. It was about how every play put a larger amount of mental stress on the players than they were used to or would enjoy in most other offenses. It wasn't that they didn't know what they were doing. It was that they were asked to do a lot, especially mentally, and it was stressful and taxing.

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 08:14 AM
It wasn't about not knowing it. It was about how every play put a larger amount of mental stress on the players than they were used to or would enjoy in most other offenses. It wasn't that they didn't know what they were doing. It was that they were asked to do a lot, especially mentally, and it was stressful and taxing.

so what I'm hearing is, Patriots players can handle stress better than ours....that and they have Tom Brady

Kaylore
01-04-2011, 08:15 AM
so what I'm hearing is, Patriots players can handle stress better than ours....that and they have Tom Brady

I think losing games makes it harder to put up with. You do see a lot of good players willing to walk away from New England in free agency.

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I think losing games makes it harder to put up with. You do see a lot of good players willing to walk away from New England in free agency.

so if that's the case, why is he such a hot OC prospect if his system burns players out, surely if you have heard this, other teams have heard this too

there is being so "overly-smart" it makes you look dumb

maybe he needs to step back and dumb it down a bit next time he coaches

2KBack
01-04-2011, 08:19 AM

I think that's more the patriots letting people walk away from their football winning machine instead of overpaying them. I'm having trouble coming up with any offensive players that have been as successful when they leave NE as when they were there.

baja
01-04-2011, 08:21 AM

This makes sense I can see that happening. I wonder if in time Josh would have worked this out by simplifying his system and understanding not everyone was as cerebral as him. Bet this is why he got rid of Hillis.

Mile High Shack
I think that's more the patriots letting people walk away from their football winning machine instead of overpaying them. I'm having trouble coming up with any offensive players that have been as successful when they leave NE as when they were there.

look at Deion Branch, he pretty much sucked in Seattle...that's a good point

I'm guessing you take Welker out of that system he wouldn't even be a 3rd string WR on a lot of teams

Rascal

or defensive players (sans Seymour).

Kaylore

There's that too. I guess it goes back to what you're willing to put up with when you're losing. I'm only telling you what the players, well two players, have said about things. They both start and play different positions so I know it's not just one dude's opinion.

Rascal
01-04-2011, 08:22 AM

I'm guessing you take Welker out of that system he wouldn't even be a 3rd string WR on a lot of teams

Was he even starting for Miami?

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm having trouble coming up with any offensive players that have been as successful when they leave NE as when they were there.

Gaffney is the only one that jumps out to me.

or defensive players (sans Seymour).

Asante Samuel

Though it's not like they ever really let any top level players go on their defense. Aside from Seymour and Samuel, they pretty much stay with them for life. I'm sure that's why you never really hear of them lighting it up afterwards. They're either mediocre to begin with or they either retire or are on their last legs when they leave.

Ray Finkle
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM

interesting....I wonder if it was worse for the Oline or WR/Backs?

Rascal
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Forgot about Vrabel.

2KBack
01-04-2011, 08:33 AM
There's that too. I guess it goes back to what you're willing to put up with when you're losing. I'm only telling you what the players, well two players, have said about things. They both start and play different positions so I know it's not just one dude's opinion.

I don't doubt it has a lot to do with winning being a great motivator. Maybe a little deflection on the part of the players too. I don't know who the players are obviously, but I don't know if there is anyone on the team that is immume from blame for Denver's performance this year....maybe Tebow and Loyd

bowtown
01-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Lonie Paxton, duh.

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Was he even starting for Miami?

no, he was a special teamer

Taco John
01-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Welker had a pretty good season in Miami before he went to NE. It wasn't the 100+ catch season he had there, but it was a solid 70 catch season.

TonyR
01-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Aside from Seymour and Samuel...

Yup, and in the case of Seymour they got too much to pass up (a 1st round pick from the Raiders) and in the case of Samuel he got a massive contract in FA that they weren't willing to pay.

lostknight
01-04-2011, 08:39 AM

I generally agree with this, but I do have to say that what makes Studesville so attractive is that he is the anti-McDaniels. McDaniels was all football strategy, all the time, players and people be damned. Studesville takes the opposite track who focuses on the players, but may be weak in terms of execution. That being said, I like that I see Studesville getting more and more involved each week, and I love how he has handled the Tebow situation. I just don't want to see us pick him because he is the antithesis to the miserable HC that was McDaniels.

There is no question that Wink needs to go. Period. His defense has systematic weaknesses that every team has been able to exploits. McCoy has looked much better now that he is out from under Josh's boots.

But Studesville also relates to something the Broncos desperatly need - especially with Tebow in there - a dominating ground game. That game will benefit not only the RB, but also Tebow who gets a lot of pressure pulled off of him, and takes advantage of the improvement in the run game when he carries the rock.

Mile High Shack
01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Welker had a pretty good season in Miami before he went to NE. It wasn't the 100+ catch season he had there, but it was a solid 70 catch season.

my bad 67/687 and 1 TD

not bad, you are right, but not the monster that he is in NE

bronco militia
01-04-2011, 08:40 AM
my bad 67/687 and 1 TD

most were stunned that the Dolphins made that trade

2KBack
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
my bad 67/687 and 1 TD

he was still the third guy that year...props to NE for recognizing him when they did and making the trade.

SoonerBronco
01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
my bad 67/687 and 1 TD

I believe that when he was with the Dolphins, he became the only player in History to kick a field goal, extra point, score a TD, return a kickoff, return a punt and make a tackle all in the same game. That game was against the Patriots. The Patriots then targeted him as a possible acquisition that off season.

Having seen him play since HS I can say that he was a great athlete, but chalk me up with the folks that never thought he would be the receiver he is in the NFL. I'm glad for him as he is a great ambassador for us here in OK.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
There is no question that Wink needs to go. Period. His defense has systematic weaknesses that every team has been able to exploits.

The announcers on Sunday said that when they talked to Norv he said that Wink's D had big fundamental holes that he could exploit.

~Crash~
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
yep and the game came down to a couple Hail mary throws.So who is that really and indictment on .Ha!

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
The announcers on Sunday said that when they talked to Norv he said that Wink's D had big fundamental holes that he could exploit.

Yup, considering Champ was on the bench, I can think of 11 guys he could plan to target with success.

doonwise
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Advantage of retaining Studesville: keeping the offensive scheme largely in place. If someone new comes in and implements a completely new system, we are looking at ~2 years until it comes along (1 year to learn it and 1 year to execute it). If we can't get a big, proven name, then I for one would like to retain Studesville simply to keep the offense we have.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Yup, considering Champ was on the bench, I can think of 11 guys he could plan to target with success.

They were talking about scheme though.

Old Dude
01-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Heard similar thing (although via hearsay) from another. Namely, that system was just too complicated and whenever one guy goofed up it had a disproportionate ripple effect on everything else.

I think this was certainly part of the problem on the O-Line. On defense, I think it was just more a matter of talent.