PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Luck DOESN'T declare?

Doggcow
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Who does Carolina Take? Could throw a serious wrench in my Patrick Peterson mancrush. :(

Inkana7
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
This would be a good thing, IMO.

Broncoman13
01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Who does Carolina Take? Could throw a serious wrench in my Patrick Peterson mancrush. :(

Bowers... easy

Tombstone RJ
01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
If there's no Luck, then Carolina stalls and lets their time has elapse, forcing the Broncos to make the first pick...

NFLBRONCO
01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
They might trade down if they can

OBF1
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
What would happen? It would kill footstepsfrom#27, He would die from lack of useless posting ideas.

Pony Boy
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Hello ........

Man-Goblin
01-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Could be a good thing, especially if Tebow falls flat on his face in 2011. If that's the case, the Broncos would most likely have a shot at Luck again next year.

Doggcow
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Hello ........

I like Fairley too. Seems like he makes plays. Can he play 3-4?

Gcver2ver3
01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
This would be a good thing, IMO.

this.../ thread...

Dedhed
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Fairley at #2 would be terrible value.

Zoobie
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
People are really getting ahead of themselves. A lot will change between now and april, from off the field issues, to the senior bowl, underclassmen not declaring, and the combine. Not to mention potential trades, and free agent acquisitions. I think it's safe to say we know very little of how the top 10 will shake out.

TDmvp
01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Who cares ... Fix the D ...

Agamemnon
01-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Fairley at #2 would be terrible value.

I don't know about terrible. He does seem more like a #5 guy or so...

Agamemnon
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
People are really getting ahead of themselves. A lot will change between now and april, from off the field issues, to the senior bowl, underclassmen not declaring, and the combine. Not to mention potential trades, and free agent acquisitions. I think it's safe to say we know very little of how the top 10 will shake out.

But what's the fun in that? Baseless speculation is what message boards are all about.

Jay3
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Could be a good thing, especially if Tebow falls flat on his face in 2011. If that's the case, the Broncos would most likely have a shot at Luck again next year.

That's positive thinking! Maybe we'll draft #1 overall next year!

Likwid Kerruj
01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Panic ensues.

Well, you could put off drafting a QB high on the board for another year.

cutthemdown
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Yes as DE

cutthemdown
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM

I disagree. The top 10 you can maybe firgure out...It's the bottom 10 where you see more surprises. Usually the top 10 or 15 picks will be names you know but maybe a few spots off here and there.

cutthemdown
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
That's positive thinking! Maybe we'll draft #1 overall next year!

It's not out of the realm of possibilty.

Requiem
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes as DE

Ability to, but it would be a waste of his talent because what he is great at specifically translates to a role in the 4-3.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
What would happen? It would kill footstepsfrom#27, He would die from lack of useless posting ideas.
Yeah, you're a fountain of innovation huh?

There is almost no chance Luck doesn't come out. What does he have to gain by staying, especially if Harbaugh is going elsewhere. He can ask Jake Locker what can happen if you miss your window of opportunity as the hot commodity.

Doggcow
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Btw, I hope we get patrick peterson because Omane favorites, generally turn out pretty damn well.

-Chris Johnson? Patrick Willis? (I forget if Orakpo was or not) etc... lol

Anyone remember any others?

misturanderson
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, you're a fountain of innovation huh?

There is almost no chance Luck doesn't come out. What does he have to gain by staying, especially if Harbaugh is going elsewhere. He can ask Jake Locker what can happen if you miss your window of opportunity as the hot commodity.

Comparing Luck to Locker is laughable. Locker was never going to be as high a pick as people were pegging him to be. He sucks as a QB and would have been exposed if he had gone through all of the post-season workouts, etc. Luck would have to permanently injure himself to drop out of the #1 overall spot. That or he'd need to get completely outperformed by Barkley.

Besides, with the rookie wages getting brought under control, what is the huge advantage to going to the worst team in the league? Maybe Luck, like Myron Rolle, values things outside of football and money.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Comparing Luck to Locker is laughable. Locker was never going to be as high a pick as people were pegging him to be. He sucks as a QB. Luck would have to permanently injure himself to drop out of the #1 overall spot. That or he'd need to get completely outperformed by Barkley.

Besides, with the rookie wages getting brought under control, what is the huge advantage to going to the worst team in the legue? maybe Luck, like Myron Rolle, values things outside of football.
First of all, where did I compare Luck to Locker? I compared the decision and it's possible negative consequences with the one Locker now wishes he hadn't made. Locker doesn't suck...he was considered the #1 pick had he come out, and now he's not. Injury could knock Luck out of action or he could simply regress without Harbaugh if he leaves. The point is, he's not going to ever see his draft value any higher than it is right now. You can't go higher than the #1 pick, so coming back is a major risk.

strafen
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Who does Carolina Take? Could throw a serious wrench in my Patrick Peterson mancrush. :(How deep is this draft in defense?
Could we go with a couple late first rounders via trade?
I mean, if Luck doesn't declare that would impact the draft strategy a bunch, at least at the top of the draft board...
We're poor going into this draft. Only 6 picks...

misturanderson
01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
First of all, where did I compare Luck to Locker? I compared the decision and it's possible negative consequences with the one Locker now wishes he hadn't made. Locker doesn't suck...he was considered the #1 pick had he come out, and now he's not. Injury could knock Luck out of action or he could simply regress without Harbaugh if he leaves. The point is, he's not going to ever see his draft value any higher than it is right now. You can't go higher than the #1 pick, so coming back is a major risk.

First of all, Locker was never going #1 overall. The only reason he was in the discussion was because it was months before Bradford proved that he could still throw a football and the rest of the 2010 QB class was so terrible.

Second of all, going #1 overall will never again mean a $50 million signing bonus. There is nowhere near the risk of losing out on tens of millions of dollars by going back to school. That was why Locker's decision was so stupid, because there was guaranteed to be a rookie wage scale starting in 2011. Locker lost out on many millions due to that, not because he was actually going #1 in the draft. He also played so poorly (exactly the same as last year with no improvement) that he will probably not even be one of the top 3 QBs taken if Luck comes out. The stupididty of Locker's decision had more to do with how bad the 2010 QB class was and the impending rookie wage scale, neither are things that Luck has to worry about (mostly because he is so clearly the best QB prospect coming out this year in a decent year for QBs, something that won't change significantly by next year).

Luck's situation is much more closely applicable to Bradford's, and that didn't turn out too badly for him.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 05:21 PM
How deep is this draft in defense?
Could we go with a couple late first rounders via trade?
I mean, if Luck doesn't declare that would impact the draft strategy a bunch, at least at the top of the draft board...
We're poor going into this draft. Only 6 picks...
A couple late first rounders for the guy who is the surest thing in the draft?

Let's examine that prospect...

If we trade the #2 pick for two late first rounders, we MUST hit on BOTH of them as not just players, not just starters, but pro bowl level players. Anything other than two pro bowl caliber type players in the next couple seasons and the trade is a bust for us. We may never have another chance for a talent like this for years, and if we piss it away for two pretty decent players but not stars and a couple more mid-round players who turn out to be nothing more than bodies, it will just push us farther into mediocrity. To build a great defense you typically need stars and playmakers. If we need extra picks in the first round, we can always use our #2's to move up.

LRtagger
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
There have already been talks of Luck wanting to stay in school. His family is rich and he loves Stanford...also he has the luxury of deciding if he wants to play for the Panthers or not.

cutthemdown
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Ability to, but it would be a waste of his talent because what he is great at specifically translates to a role in the 4-3.

Which is why we should switch back to a 4-3 and line up doom wide like freeny. Stick some big athletic DT inside like a Dareus or Fairley. Switch DJ back the weakside, switch Haggan to the ssl spot and look for someone to play the middle.

baja
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
If Tebow had completed his Hail Mary and beat San Diego where would we be drafting, just curious?

LRtagger
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
6th i think

DarkHorse
01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
5th

Bronco Yoda
01-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Better luck next year. As the saying goes.

I bet Luck stays in school.

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 04:19 AM
There have already been talks of Luck wanting to stay in school. His family is rich and he loves Stanford...also he has the luxury of deciding if he wants to play for the Panthers or not.
Maybe...but turning his nose up at Carolina won't mean he gets to pick what team he plays for. Even if he stays in school he'll just be drafted down the road by the next worst team in the league, or for that matter, if the 2012 draft order stays the same, he'd be unable to come out next year either since they'd still have the same pick locked in. His value will never be higher than it is right now and staying does nothing but add risk to his situation. The only reason I see for him to stay is because he's not ready for the NFL, but we keep hearing he's practically Manning right now so that's probably not an issue for him.

Bronco Yoda
01-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Luck's from a rich family. I've read time and again he loves being in school. Plus you add in the whole CBA fiasco. Just a hunch.

footstepsfrom#27
01-04-2011, 04:45 AM
First of all, Locker was never going #1 overall. The only reason he was in the discussion was because it was months before Bradford proved that he could still throw a football and the rest of the 2010 QB class was so terrible.
It matters not why he was in the discussion.
Second of all, going #1 overall will never again mean a $50 million signing bonus. There is nowhere near the risk of losing out on tens of millions of dollars by going back to school. That was why Locker's decision was so stupid, because there was guaranteed to be a rookie wage scale starting in 2011. Locker lost out on many millions due to that, not because he was actually going #1 in the draft. He also played so poorly (exactly the same as last year with no improvement) that he will probably not even be one of the top 3 QBs taken if Luck comes out. The stupididty of Locker's decision had more to do with how bad the 2010 QB class was and the impending rookie wage scale, neither are things that Luck has to worry about (mostly because he is so clearly the best QB prospect coming out this year in a decent year for QBs, something that won't change significantly by next year).

Luck's situation is much more closely applicable to Bradford's, and that didn't turn out too badly for him.
Luck can't possibly rise any farther than he already has. From a business standpoint, that's called assuming a risk without any upside reward. If his coach leaves and he suffers any fall off, he could potentially damage his future...sure he could, rookie wage scale or not. Second, what if he blows out his knee or his shoulder? Other than simply not being ready for the NFL game, something all the pundits insist he is...I see no reason he can benefit from staying unless he just love school so much he doesn't want to leave.

Jesterhole
01-04-2011, 05:20 AM
So, I'm a little behind here. Will the top ten rookies still get their mega-contracts this year, or will they not be able to sign anything until after the new CBA? Meaning they'll be getting a lot less than top ten picks in the past.

And if there is no CBA hammered out, is there still a draft? Do you just hold rights until the thing is signed?

Kaylore
01-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Luck's only a Sophomore and could elect to stay. However I think he's waiting to see what Harbaugh does and then who they bring in before he really makes up his mind.

The answer to the questions is nothing different happens. There are roughly 170+ players eligible in the NFL draft every year. I think even if Luck doesn't declare and Carolina picks someone else, there will probably still be some good football players left. Just a hunch...

oubronco
01-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Bowers... easy

I just don't see all the love for Bowers he doesn't impress me at all

oubronco
01-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Marcel Dareus sure can

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2011, 08:06 AM
So, I'm a little behind here. Will the top ten rookies still get their mega-contracts this year, or will they not be able to sign anything until after the new CBA? Meaning they'll be getting a lot less than top ten picks in the past.

And if there is no CBA hammered out, is there still a draft? Do you just hold rights until the thing is signed?

1. They will not be able to sign anything until after the new CBA is signed.

2. There is still a draft and the teams will hold the rights to the players they drafted, but cannot sign them until #1 happens.

mikey555
01-04-2011, 08:47 AM
It would be nice to see Peterson #2 overall and then the most impressive player on last nights field Skov #2 overall second round...Just MHO

TonyR
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Which is why we should switch back to a 4-3 and line up doom wide like freeny. Stick some big athletic DT inside like a Dareus or Fairley. Switch DJ back the weakside, switch Haggan to the ssl spot and look for someone to play the middle.

I agree. Seems to be a lot easier to find players for the 4-3. It's particularly difficult to find a NT for the 3-4. And I think Ayers would be better suited as a 4-3 DE. With the right players I'd probably lean towards the 3-4 but it's just so damn hard to get those right players for that system.

uplink
01-04-2011, 10:55 AM
hoping Luck declares and Carolina doesn't want him. Then the broncos cash in by trading down when the Luck sweepstakes begin.

peacepipe
01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

no way,doom produced 17.5 sacks in his 1st yr playing OLB, & you want to switch back to a position where his best yr was 12.5 sacks? you don't think in the 4 yrs that doom played DE in a 4-3 that they didn't try lining him wide like freeney.