PDA

View Full Version : Report: McDaniels could be a candidate for HC of the Raiders

montrose
01-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Also reported Raiders OC Hue Jackson could be a candidate.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40881151/ns/sports-player_news/

Mile High Shack
01-03-2011, 01:51 PM
oh please oh please oh please oh please let this be true

jhns
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I would love for this to happen.

Mecklomaniac
01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Is there enough room in Oakland for both Davis and McDs egos

Taco John
01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!

Old Dude
01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe we could send them Paxton, Quinn and Maroney for McFadden, Seymour and Asomugha.

Rulon Velvet Jones
Ahahahahaha. Do it!

Tombstone RJ
McD is too smart to say yes to Al Davis if he's offered the HC job. He's better off licking his wounds as an OC before he jumps back into a HC job, especially a HC job at an even more dysfunctional team than the Broncos.

montrose
The Broncos fan in me does not want this to happen but the sports-journalist in me says this is too good to be true.

On a related note, anyone else think Tom Cable's getting a raw deal? I thought he did a great job with the Raiders especially considering the distractions you have to deal with there.

Man-Goblin
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Tough. Smart. Physical.

....but mostly Fast.

Beantown Bronco
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Maybe we could send them Paxton, Quinn and Maroney for McFadden, Seymour and Asomugha.

Hopefully one of those guys, or their rookie LB McClain finds McD's wife attractive.

frerottenextelway
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
That will end well.

Beantown Bronco
On a related note, anyone else think Tom Cable's getting a raw deal? I thought he did a great job with the Raiders especially considering the distractions you have to deal with there.

I'd rather the Broncos bring in him than at least 90% of the names I've seen thrown around in the last month.

Old Dude
I thought Cable did a pretty good job this year all things considered. Of course, compared to our year almost everyone else's season looks great.

Mecklomaniac
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
The Broncos fan in me does not want this to happen but the sports-journalist in me says this is too good to be true.

Agreed... Anybody but Davis would keep him around another year

Kaylore

I do. He's the best thing to happen to the Raiders since Gruden. I'll be glad to see him gone. I would love him as O-line coach or in any capacity here.

TheReverend
I'd need to hire a live in nurse because this has the potential to cause me to die laughing on a weekly basis.

Mile High Shack
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
McD is too smart to say yes to Al Davis if he's offered the HC job. He's better off licking his wounds as an OC before he jumps back into a HC job, especially a HC job at an even more dysfunctional team than the Broncos.

I dunno, he strikes me as the type who carries a grudge, I could see him taking the job just so he could play us 2x's a year to get his "revenge"

jhns
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Yup. They have looked much better under Cable. I wouldn't fire him. I am happy the Raiders did though. It is more fun to see them sitting at 2-4 wins.

Beantown Bronco
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I thought Cable did a pretty good job this year all things considered. Of course, compared to our year almost everyone else's season looks great.

He was 6-0 in the division this year. That has to peak one's interest a little.

It's been awhile since the Broncos went 6-0 in the division.

edog24
I'd rather the Broncos bring in him than at least 90% of the names I've seen thrown around in the last month.

Hmm no thanks, I would like a guy who doesn't beat women and assistants. Too many off the field issues, he seemed like a perfect fit for the Faid.

Taco John
I wonder if Josh would want to trade away all the best players if he took that job. Elway should send Xanders over to Raider headquarters and check the dumpsters for pro-bowlers if this happens.

PRBronco
01-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Fml.

srphoenix
01-03-2011, 02:03 PM
someone photoshop McD in a Raiders hoody when he was getting booed by the Broncos fans at home and he had the mopey sad look on his face. I want to catch a glimpse of our future beatdowns of his hopefully new team.

frerottenextelway
01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
How long until he gets beat up?

Beantown Bronco
01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Hmm no thanks, I would like a guy who doesn't beat women and assistants. Too many off the field issues, he seemed like a perfect fit for the Faid.

Eff it. I don't have to live with him or work with him.

strafen
01-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Hell yeah. I'd love to see Mcdaniels drive the raiders organization right into the ground...
Please make it happen!

Tombstone RJ
01-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I dunno, he strikes me as the type who carries a grudge, I could see him taking the job just so he could play us 2x's a year to get his "revenge"

He doesn't strike me as a "I coach for revenge" type of a guy. McD admitted he made mistakes while he was with the Broncos and now that he's been fired from his first HC job, I seriously doubt he has the fortitude or stomach to leap back into a bad situation with a bad team. But, I could be wrong...

PRBronco
01-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Seriously, Cable's done a nice job there. It fills me with glee that they might not keep him.

Re: McD staying in the division (no longer directed at montrose): be careful what you wish for brosephs.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
It would be a good fit. Al Davis loves ridiculous passing offenses as much as Josh does. Could true love be brewing?

Old Dude
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Hopefully one of those guys, or their rookie LB McClain finds McD's wife attractive.

How about Hochstein for McClain, straight up? Or do you think we could get them to throw in a 4th rounder?

Beantown Bronco
01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
The one reason why I think McD will stay in the AFC West next year is because our division is scheduled to play the AFC East next year. McD will at least be motivated for 4 games.

2KBack
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
He doesn't strike me as a "I coach for revenge" type of a guy. McD admitted he made mistakes while he was with the Broncos and now that he's been fired from his first HC job, I seriously doubt he has the fortitude or stomach to leap back into a bad situation with a bad team. But, I could be wrong...

I don't know how bad the Raider situation really is. They were basically a Decent QB away from winning the division this year...one thing McD knows really well is QB's

Taco John
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Re: McD staying in the division (no longer directed at montrose): be careful what you wish for brosephs.

If he punishes us the same way he punished our division rivals, what's the concern? It's not like we're an AFC East team where he might do some actual mood setting.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 02:11 PM
the one reason why i think mcd will stay in the afc west next year is because our division is scheduled to play the afc east next year. Mcd will at least be motivated for 4 games.

^5

Likwid Kerruj
Maybe he can talk them into trading McFadden and Bush for Moreno and the Quinn brothers.

DrFate
Isn't this the ultimate baja fantasy?

:wiggle:

Rigs11
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
careful what you wish for. Many of you hate mcd but if you think he was the only one that messed up this franchise you havent been paying attention. The broncos have been going down ever since 2005.i could see mcd going to oakland and giving the broncs grief for years.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Maybe he can talk them into trading McFadden and Bush for Moreno and the Quinn brothers.

We shouldn't low ball ourselves. We should ask for that and two mid level draft picks over the next two years.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
What could McD have possibly done to impress the Raiders? They beat him like a dime store drum.

Mile High Shack
01-03-2011, 02:14 PM
careful what you wish for. Many of you hate mcd but if you think he was the only one that messed up this franchise you havent been paying attention. The broncos have been going down ever since 2005.i could see mcd going to oakland and giving the broncs grief for years.

blah, no

he turned a very average team into a team that is one of the worst in the NFL

Taco John
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
What could McD have possibly done to impress the Raiders? They beat him like a dime store drum.

Al Davis loves the Chuck It Deep To Lloyd strategy that McDaniels employed.

Dagmar
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Which is catchier, chuck it deep to Heyward-Bey, Ford or Murphy?

srphoenix
01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
in other news orton has a new potential landing spot if this works out, McD would have to have his guy till he can develop his new QBOTF

frerottenextelway
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
We'll have to keep extra security at all our practices. I think Al would approve of his filming ordeal.

loborugger
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
The "Chuck it deep to Lloyd", err, Biletnikoff offense appeals strongly to Greasy Al.

loborugger
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Al Davis loves the Chuck It Deep To Lloyd strategy that McDaniels employed.

Damn, beat me by 10 minutes.

Popps
01-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Interesting. Hope it doesn't happen.

As I've said, I don't really care what happens to the guy... but I certainly don't want him landing in our division.

Headless Hessian Rider
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I would like to See MC D somewhere out of the AFC west... I still think he's somehow a good coach. May be the time with the Broncos came to early... But remember our 6-0 start years ago ... everybody was on the bandwaggon. He had some good idea and made some bad decesions .. but that's professional sport when things went bad they went bad ...

Miss I.
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
wow, a week ago dude was going to be OC at KC. Now he's gonna be HC for the Raiders. Is that an upgrade or downgrade? Not really sure here. and what's next? Will he be Running Backs coach in San Diego next week? Because that would fun. ;D

Steve Sewell
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
This scares the living crap out of me. McD is a good coach and the Raiders are loaded with talent outside of the QB position. Keep in mind that he made Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton look like Pro Bowlers.

Ultimately, the reason McD failed is because Bowlen and Ellis gave the keys to the kingdom to 33 year old guy who had never been a head coach or general manager. If he's allowed to just coach and leave the personnel stuff to someone qualified for the job, he has the potential to be one of the better head coaches in the NFL.

crowebomber
01-03-2011, 02:45 PM
It's really hilarious that Al might consider firing Cable and blowing this thing up after the team finally had a non-losing season after how many years. I still think this rumor doesn't have any legs but with the Raiders it wouldn't surprise me.

Rigs11
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
This scares the living crap out of me. McD is a good coach and the Raiders are loaded with talent outside of the QB position. Keep in mind that he made Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton look like Pro Bowlers.

Ultimately, the reason McD failed is because Bowlen and Ellis gave the keys to the kingdom to 33 year old guy who had never been a head coach or general manager. If he's allowed to just coach and leave the personnel stuff to someone qualified for the job, he has the potential to be one of the better head coaches in the NFL.

yep, their defense is pretty good as is there running game. Both things that the yahoos around here dont understand make it easier to win.

kamakazi_kal
01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
the raiders are playing better so Mcd going there to purge the roster would be awesome.

colonelbeef
01-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Enough.

McDaniels was a crap coach. So he gets a lot of fluffy passing yards and short completions, so what. The bottom line is building a stable team with a winning philosophy, and slant passing on 3 straight downs with Kyle Orton isn't the way to get that accomplished.

He is just the offensive version of Mangini- both got way too much credit for the Patriots' successes, and last I checked, Belichick, Brady, and the Pats were doing just fine without either of them.

KipCorrington25
01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't know how bad the Raider situation really is. They were basically a Decent QB away from winning the division this year...one thing McD knows really well is QB's

Yep, for sure he thinks Orton is better than Cutler, what an expert! :spit:

Jekyll15Hyde
01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Whatever the Raiders do bears watching. I see them as finally a formidable opponent after almost what seemed like a decade of irrelevance. And I cant believe I just typed that.

frerottenextelway
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
http://historybyday.com/photos/josh-mcdaniels-oakland.gif

Taco John
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
The guy won three games this year with a team that he assembled. Why are people afraid of this guy? He's a joke.

bronclvr
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I've often wondered if McD stepped into a situation where all he had to do was some tweaking of the Roster, would he be successful? I'm not certain, but I think he really isn't as inept as we all seem to think, he just had too much on his plate-I agree with the above, he may now have an axe to grind with us, and putting him with the Raiders might not be the best idea..........for us-

Mile High Shack
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
The guy won three games this year with a team that he assembled. Why are people afraid of this guy? He's a joke.

this

bendog
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I get excited just thinking what Cable could do to the guy

Maximus
01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Also reported Raiders OC Hue Jackson could be a candidate.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40881151/ns/sports-player_news/

ROFL Nancy Gay... the former writer/reporter for sfgate... a woman who was so sloppy with her reporting that I banned her name from RKA. McDonkey couldn't coach his weenie to stand at attention in the middle of a playboy playmate strip show!

UberBroncoMan
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Anyone who wants McDaniels to be a Raider will regret those wishes if they come true. Coaches tend to do far better in their second job. I never wanted McD here, but even with him gone I think he's going to win a Super Bowl as a HC during some point in his career. The dude is just a football brainiac. He just needs to learn humility, and gain wisdom...something that comes with time. This situation was a disaster from the start due to how much power he was given.

UberBroncoMan
01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
yep, their defense is pretty good as is there running game. Both things that the yahoos around here dont understand make it easier to win.

That would be the one potential benefit for us from him going there. He'd tear out their Zone-Blocking scheme.

Maximus
01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Anyone who wants McDaniels to be a Raider will regret those wishes if they come true. Coaches tend to do far better in their second job. I never wanted McD here, but even with him gone I think he's going to win a Super Bowl as a HC during some point in his career. The dude is just a football brainiac. He just needs to learn humility, and gain wisdom...something that comes with time. This situation was a disaster from the start due to how much power he was given.

Gimmie a break... He's dumber than Joe Bugel!

TheReverend
01-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Really funny post, but I didn't truly lose it until I read the bolded part.

Repped, dude.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM

Yeah exactly! I don't care how brilliant his offensive schemes are, McDaniels lacks common sense. His pass happy play calling at the end of the Kansas City game showed that he is too stubborn for his own good.

Likwid Kerruj
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM
McDaniels would've ran the Broncos straight to China had they kept him at the helm.

Has there ever been a worse NFL head coaching hire?

TheReverend
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
McDaniels would've ran the Broncos straight to China had they kept him at the helm.

Has there ever been a worse NFL head coaching hire?

Cam Cameron.

snowspot66
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Because people around here don't seem to realize that if he coaches for Oakland it will be with the team Cable and company assembled and that's a pretty ****ing talented team. Ours was **** to begin with when he was hired.

bombay
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Orton would be a great fit for the Raiders.

UberBroncoMan
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Really funny post, but I didn't truly lose it until I read the bolded part.

Repped, dude.

ty ty

Killericon
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Agreed. It'd be Shanahan in reverse.

Except without the 49ers and Steve Young...Or John Elway...

bombay
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I think it would be a mistake for a team to hire him as a head coach immediately. That might only reinforce the massive ego that led to so many disastrous personel decisions. At the very least, take player transactions away from him.

yerner
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I would love this. Maybe he would trade us a 4th for Maroney.

UberBroncoMan
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I think it would be a mistake for a team to hire him as a head coach immediately. That might only reinforce the massive ego that led to so many disastrous personel decisions. At the very least, take player transactions away from him.

Reality is McD should be an OC next, not a HC.

bombay
01-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Reality is McD should be an OC next, not a HC.

Agree. It would be best for him, too, although I doubt that he would buy that.

Likwid Kerruj
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I would love this. Maybe he would trade us a 4th for Maroney.

Did Maroney even dress the last two months?

broncocalijohn
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Is there enough room in Oakland for both Davis and McDs egos

Will that leave enough room for baja to join in Oakland?

Jesterhole
01-03-2011, 05:29 PM
This isn't good. A big part of why McD failed was that he was overwhelmed with all the responsibilities of the job of GM. He won't have the burden in Oakland, and would just be free to coach. The guy is a good offensive coach, and Oakland already has a good D in place...

Taco John
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Because people around here don't seem to realize that if he coaches for Oakland it will be with the team Cable and company assembled and that's a pretty ****ing talented team. Ours was **** to begin with when he was hired.

So what? Look at what our team did when Josh got fired. They went from getting blown out on a regular basis to competing tooth and nail every week.

Studesville outcoached Josh McDaniels (not to mention Tom Cable).

Nobody in the Oakland locker room would respect Josh. He's a novelty.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Bottom line, I'd much rather see Josh McDaniels coaching the Raiders than Tom Cable. I can't even believe this is a question.

It would be a dream come true if Al Davis was actually stupid enough to do this.

Ray Finkle
01-03-2011, 05:38 PM
So what? Look at what our team did when Josh got fired. They went from getting blown out on a regular basis to competing tooth and nail every week.

not trying to fan a flame....why do you think this? Just Curious.

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
McDaniel's agent must be desparate. He's leaking this stories to anyone that will listen.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 05:41 PM
not trying to fan a flame....why do you think this? Just Curious.

If you happened to listen to Brandon Lloyd today on 104.3, he made the comment that when Josh was fired and Studesville was named interim head coach, there was a palpable sense of joy in the lockerroom. Lloyd described that the players genuinely like Studesville. He's a guy that they want to play for.

Outside of that, I think Josh outsmarted himself on a regular basis.

Ray Finkle
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
If you happened to listen to Brandon Lloyd today on 104.3, he made the comment that when Josh was fired and Studesville was named interim head coach, there was a palpable sense of joy in the lockerroom. Lloyd described that the players genuinely like Studesville. He's a guy that they want to play for.

Outside of that, I think Josh outsmarted himself on a regular basis.

Can't get 104.3 since I cannot stream when I am in the office (lovely firewalls).

That makes sense and was evident. Thanks!

Agamemnon
01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
McD taking over a team with no QB, no WRs, a decent defense, and a great running game. Seriously? He's the last coach a sane person (which Al Davis clearly isn't) would want touching that team. Campbell will have a career year, and the rest of the team will fall apart.

broncocalijohn
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
This isn't good. A big part of why McD failed was that he was overwhelmed with all the responsibilities of the job of GM. He won't have the burden in Oakland, and would just be free to coach. The guy is a good offensive coach, and Oakland already has a good D in place...

Yeah, he proved that with the Chiefs and Rams game. Come on people, seems he is either being hyped by the pro McD camp that was formed in Denver or you want to think that his failure here was all Denver and not of his own doing. It was a mix of both. He isnt taking over some 11-5 team. While Oakland has improved the last few years, they are not there yet. I wouldnt mind if he gets that gig.

snowspot66
01-03-2011, 08:47 PM

I'd put that on Tebow. Not McDaniels getting fired.

serious hops
01-03-2011, 10:08 PM

You mean someone like. . .

Al Davis??!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8792/drevilh.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/i/drevilh.jpg/)

Taco John
01-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm more worried about Kyle Orton being an Oakland Raider next year than I am about Josh McDaniels being an Oakland Raider.

Agamemnon
01-03-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm more worried about Kyle Orton being an Oakland Raider next year than I am about Josh McDaniels being an Oakland Raider.

That worries you? As long as we can get a lead, the game is ours in that situation.

Miss I.
01-03-2011, 11:32 PM

Seriously? Not that we didn't get blown out. I still cry when I think of the Oakland game, but do you recall any other games that were actually relatively close? no? really?
Let's do a little walk thru to see shall we:
1. DEN 17 @ JAC 24
2. SEA 14 @ DEN 31 blowout maybe
3. IND 27 @ DEN 13
4. DEN 26 @ TEN 20
5. DEN 17 @ BAL 31
6. NYJ 24 @ DEN 20
7. OAK 59 @ DEN 14 blowout
8. DEN 16 @ SF 24
9. KC 29 @ DEN 49 Blow out
10. DEN 14 @ SD 35 blowout
11. STL 36 @ DEN 33
12. DEN 6 @ KC 10
13. DEN 13 @ ARI 43 blowout
14. DEN 23 @ OAK 39 blowout
15. HOU 23 @ DEN 24
16. SD 33 @ DEN 28

my indicator of blowout is more than a two touchdown differential. Now, my problem with what happened with this season are the # of games that were NOT blowouts that we should've and could've won, but failed on so many levels to get the points. Sitting in London watching the SF game for instance, was a game we should've won, so were about half of the ones on this list. That's why I am pissed. Blowout games are embarrassing, but I am more irritated by the close ones that were games we could have won. We were not going to win against Oakland either time apparently. And I don't think our interim coach is the reason we are winning. Tebow has some influence I'd imagine and the lack of certain gimmick plays by McDaniels probably helps too. And while I like Orton and he has gaudy yardage this year, the inability of his offense to convert on 3rd downs hurt us and maybe it was better the last 3 games without playing an injured QB. It's less on Studesville and more on the lack of McDaniels influence now and probably just a certain amount of odds against Houston, a team that isn't that good anyway. anyway, it is what it is, a crappy season of football.

Taco John
01-03-2011, 11:51 PM
That second Oakland game, while it was a blowout on the scoreboard, it didn't feel like a blow out as an observer. I actually left that game with a bit of relief.

You make some good points (as always) Miss I., but I just posted a bit from Brandon Lloyd (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=96154) about how excited the players were to play for Studesville once Josh was fired. I personally am inclined to believe that Tebow's energy and fire took over, and that's why the team looked so differently to close out the season, but it's hard to discount what Lloyd says about Studesville. And the more I look at how the coaching search is unfolding, I'm no longer going to be suprised if the Broncos decide not to discount it either.

This is in no way saying that Studesville is my personal top choice. But I'm more open to the idea today than I was yesterday.

Agamemnon
01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
That second Oakland game, while it was a blowout on the scoreboard, it didn't feel like a blow out as an observer. I actually left that game with a bit of relief.

That's because it didn't come apart until late when the coaches playcalled us into the ground. The run play that led to a safety was pretty much the tipping point in that game.