PDA

View Full Version : Shanny was reason Elway didn't join Broncos earlier

ZONA
01-02-2011, 11:42 PM
On my way to work this morning, sports radio was talking about the mess in Denver and reporting the news the Broncos have reached agreement with Elway to officially get on board. Guy said has inside source that informed him Elway has wanted to get on board for awhile now but something going on between him and Shanny kept that from happening. Didn't say what it was but I found that kind of odd and a bit shocking really. Why then when Shanny was let go did Elway not jump aboard then? Maybe he didn't want it to seem like he was involved in being part of the reason Shanny was let go? I don't know. I never even knew there was some type of under lying problem between Shanny and Elway. But this guy's source said there definitely was and it was the main reason why Elway was not brought on board many years ago.

Thoughts?

extralife
01-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah, this came out a while ago. My guess is Shanny straight up told him that he wasn't qualified for any position with the team. Which would be true.

schaaf
01-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't know why they would have had a problem. This seems very odd

ZONA
01-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah, this came out a while ago. My guess is Shanny straight up told him that he wasn't qualified for any position with the team. Which would be true.

I have a hard time believing that. ANY POSITION seems a bit far fetched but who knows, maybe Elway wanted something higher then what Shanny wanted to give him.

broncocalijohn
01-03-2011, 12:11 AM

If that was the case, how does he explain slowick?

mhgaffney
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
If that was the case, how does he explain slowick?

Bingo.

Atwater His Ass
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
It doesn't necessarily mean there is/was any problem between them.

Shanahan was in complete control of the organization and I'd bet Elway was looking for a role with some authority. Which he never would have received with Shanahan at the helm.

I think Elway is going to play a bigger role making decisions on this team than people realize.

OBF1
01-03-2011, 12:40 AM
If you did not hear this on the light rail, I call BS

loborugger
01-03-2011, 12:45 AM
If this was true, why would Elway not have been considered for something 2 years ago when Shanny got canned?

Doggcow
01-03-2011, 12:47 AM
If you did not hear this on the light rail, I call BS

Ive been to denver a few times, but have never ridden the light rail.

I really need to do this, to get my updates.

When and where and which one should I right next time? :)

Blueflame
01-03-2011, 01:03 AM
This is all speculation... my own suspicion might be: Shanahan wanted the three-peat bad... and everyone knows it would have been more likely to happen had John come back for one more year. Perhaps Shanahan was disappointed that John retired when he did. But no one can legitimately blame a veteran athlete for "going out on top" rather than sticking around until it seems he's "the last one to know it's time to hang up the cleats" (like Favre, Rice, and Marino).

Cito Pelon
01-03-2011, 01:16 AM

Shanahan was in complete control of the organization and I'd bet Elway was looking for a role with some authority. Which he never would have received with Shanahan at the helm.

I think Elway is going to play a bigger role making decisions on this team than people realize.

It's gonna be interesting to see exactly what role he plays in the FO. Dude is not an idiot nor ignorant. He's fairly well tuned into what the team has right now, and has a decent grasp of the Nfl.

uplink
01-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Perhaps Shanahan was disappointed that John retired when he did.
Yeah, and may be the finances played a role as well in some way people always get angry over money. I guess Reeves is still in the doghouse with the organization since Shanny, and Elway both hated his as* Personally I'd like to see Reeves and Shanny both honored by the organization in some way.

Cito Pelon
01-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Ive been to denver a few times, but have never ridden the light rail.

I really need to do this, to get my updates.

When and where and which one should I right next time? :)

Just ride any leg and make what you want out of the experience, same as we all do. You're not gonna meet Elway, that's for sure. You'll meet plenty of interesting people.

Cito Pelon
01-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Yeah, and may be the finances played a role as well in some way people always get angry over money. I guess Reeves is still in the doghouse with the organization since Shanny, and Elway both hated his as* Personally I'd like to see Reeves and Shanny both honored by the organization in some way.

Reeves was a badass HC.

houghtam
01-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Just wondering why everyone assumes Elway is not qualified. Seems to me Ozzie Newsome did pretty well for himself; what experience did he have?

Not jumping on the Elway GM bandwagon or anything but you can't just assume he'll be terrible.

Blueflame
01-03-2011, 01:57 AM

A three-peat would have cemented Shanahan's coaching reputation and of course, would have affected his personal financial bottom line. (Shoulda actually had the three-peat anyway 'cause the Jags playoff upset should never have happened in '96). But from the perspective of February 1999, it's not hard to imagine that Shanahan's most fervent wish would have been for #7 to give it one more year (with a then-healthy TD, Sharpe, and Mobley, one more year for Elway would have made the Broncos heavy favorites to be the AFC representative in the SB).

OBF1
01-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Just wondering why everyone assumes Elway is not qualified. Seems to me Ozzie Newsome did pretty well for himself; what experience did he have?

Not jumping on the Elway GM bandwagon or anything but you can't just assume he'll be terrible.

I think the only posters saying that John Elway is not qualified are those that have been GM's in the NFL and have real life college or pro football experience as well as a degree from Stanford and have been the President of an arena football league champion and owned a MULTI million dollar chain of car dealerships.

Personally I am shocked on how many of them there are here posting on the Mane ???

Broncoman13
01-03-2011, 04:34 AM
A three-peat would have cemented Shanahan's coaching reputation and of course, would have affected his personal financial bottom line. (Shoulda actually had the three-peat anyway 'cause the Jags playoff upset should never have happened in '96). But from the perspective of February 1999, it's not hard to imagine that Shanahan's most fervent wish would have been for #7 to give it one more year (with a then-healthy TD, Sharpe, and Mobley, one more year for Elway would have made the Broncos heavy favorites to be the AFC representative in the SB).

I don't know Blue. For years there have been rumors that Shanny actually made it very difficult for Elway to return almost urging him to leave. There was angst over Bowlen's affinity toward Elway. In Shanahan's eyes, he was the reason Elway won Superbowls, not the other way around. There was a story going around not too long ago, or maybe I was talking to someone from the Spring's media... anyhow, I guess it was a bit of slap in the face to Shanahan when Pat Bowlen raised the Lombardi Trophy and said, "This ones for John!" The fact that Elway never was around the Broncos after he retired seems to corroborate all the different rumors regarding Elway, Shanahan and Bowlen's relationship.

ol#7
01-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Shanahan said that if Elway wasnt willing/able to put in the time then there was no role for him. I fail to see how that is a rift, it was/is the truth and also the problem with what his new role is going to be. He isnt going to be a roll up the sleeves 12 hr workday executive. Dan Marino quit after 1 week with the dolphins because of the 'lifestyle changes' that the position demanded.

strafen
01-03-2011, 05:50 AM
How do people come up with staff like that?

gunns
01-03-2011, 05:53 AM
This is all speculation... my own suspicion might be: Shanahan wanted the three-peat bad... and everyone knows it would have been more likely to happen had John come back for one more year. Perhaps Shanahan was disappointed that John retired when he did. But no one can legitimately blame a veteran athlete for "going out on top" rather than sticking around until it seems he's "the last one to know it's time to hang up the cleats" (like Favre, Rice, and Marino).

This is what I heard back after Elway retired. That Elway never "consulted" with Shanahan about his retirement, made the decision on his own, and it irked Shanahan presumably because of the above reason. Shanahan has an ego larger than most. I'm sure Elway wasn't going to run to Bowlen on January 1st 2009 and say here I am. I'm impressed on how he eased in. Hopefully after the April draft I'm still impressed.

Kaylore
01-03-2011, 05:53 AM
This has been common knowledge for years. Woody Paige mentioned this in '03, I wanna say.

rocket88
01-03-2011, 06:04 AM
I don't know Blue. For years there have been rumors that Shanny actually made it very difficult for Elway to return almost urging him to leave. There was angst over Bowlen's affinity toward Elway. In Shanahan's eyes, he was the reason Elway won Superbowls, not the other way around. There was a story going around not too long ago, or maybe I was talking to someone from the Spring's media... anyhow, I guess it was a bit of slap in the face to Shanahan when Pat Bowlen raised the Lombardi Trophy and said, "This ones for John!" The fact that Elway never was around the Broncos after he retired seems to corroborate all the different rumors regarding Elway, Shanahan and Bowlen's relationship.

According to the 'Talking Heads" on local sports talk radio in Denver, this is exactly what happened. Elway was on the fence about retiring and Shanahan was in favor of him doing it so he could show the world that he was responsible for the Super Bowl wins, not Elway.

Drek
01-03-2011, 06:09 AM

Ozzie Newsome worked as an executive under Bill Belichick in 1991-1995, followed the Browns to Baltimore, and worked his way up to VP of player personnel before being named GM in 2002.

Newsome is a classic example of a guy who worked his way up the corporate hierarchy.

As for the thread topic, does it really surprise anyone? Shanahan's primary focus is himself. Pretty much what you'd expect from anyone with his type A personality. After he gets the team over the hump the owner picks up the trophy and shouts "THIS ONE'S FOR JOHN!" Elway then rides off into the sunset after his second straight title, leaving Shanahan with Brister/Griese as his fall back in a title defense year.

So I doubt he was ecstatic with how his relationship with Elway the player wrapped up. He also likely was fully aware that Elway in the FO means less power for him as Bowlen clearly views Elway as the first citizen of Bronco Nation. There was no room for shared power in Shanahan's regime here, especially when that involves giving up some of the owner's mind-share to someone else.

Likwid Kerruj
01-03-2011, 06:31 AM
As I remember it, Elway decided on retirement around draft time that year, and this is what ticked Shanahan off because it was so late.

I'm sure the "one couldn't win with out the other" created some tension as well.

2KBack
01-03-2011, 06:42 AM
As I remember it, Elway decided on retirement around draft time that year, and this is what ticked Shanahan off because it was so late.

I'm sure the "one couldn't win with out the other" created some tension as well.

Shanahan's Montana was already on the team, Elway's retirement didn't effect the draft. Besides, Shanny should have been preparing for Johns retirement, seeing as how he almost retired after the first championship.

tsiguy96
01-03-2011, 06:52 AM
shanahan locked elway out of the facility, paige reported sometime last year when elway came back because mcdaniels asked him to.

Hulamau
01-03-2011, 06:56 AM
On my way to work this morning, sports radio was talking about the mess in Denver and reporting the news the Broncos have reached agreement with Elway to officially get on board. Guy said has inside source that informed him Elway has wanted to get on board for awhile now but something going on between him and Shanny kept that from happening. Didn't say what it was but I found that kind of odd and a bit shocking really. Why then when Shanny was let go did Elway not jump aboard then? Maybe he didn't want it to seem like he was involved in being part of the reason Shanny was let go? I don't know. I never even knew there was some type of under lying problem between Shanny and Elway. But this guy's source said there definitely was and it was the main reason why Elway was not brought on board many years ago.

Thoughts?

Really surprised some of you dont know of this. Its been a thoroughkly documented fact the bad blood between Elway and Shanny for a long time on this board and various interviews with Elway in the past.

jhns
01-03-2011, 06:56 AM
The rumors and speculation are just dumb....

Sure, Shanahan was the reason. That is why he didn't come to the team until the third year after Shanahan was gone. It is more likely that he didn't fit the old power structure that Bowlen had in place. Now we are changing how the power structure is setup and Elway fits in. This is all Bowlen, not Shanahan.

jhns
01-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Really surprised some of you dont know of this. Its been a thoroughkly documented fact the bad blood between Elway and Shanny for a long time on this board and various interviews with Elway in the past.

Speculation on this board doesn't mean anything. Do you have an example of these interviews with Elway saying there was bad blood?

Hogan11
01-03-2011, 06:59 AM
shanahan locked elway out of the facility, paige reported sometime last year when elway came back because mcdaniels asked him to.

Correct.

Shanahan has shown himself to be a stubberon autocrat during his career, no other explaination is necessary to explain John's abscence during those years

Mile High Shack
01-03-2011, 07:27 AM
there was also the issue of Elway's contract and something about when Elway retired, it made our cap hit a lot bigger in 1999, so Shanny was pissed at him about that too

it's pretty much common knowledge, there was/is a rift between Elway and Shanny

TonyR
01-03-2011, 08:18 AM
This has been common knowledge for years. Woody Paige mentioned this in '03, I wanna say.

Yup, I'm surprised to see that so many are treating this like new information. There's a reason Elway disappeared after his retirement and has reappeared now that Shanahan is gone.

baja
01-03-2011, 08:22 AM

Thoughts?

I have been saying this here for years and have been ridiculed for saying it.

To me it was always pretty obvious. They were never together not for any reason. This is pretty strange for two guys that just won two super bowls together.

baja
01-03-2011, 08:25 AM

I predict he will be speaking for Bowlen.

baja
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I think the only posters saying that John Elway is not qualified are those that have been GM's in the NFL and have real life college or pro football experience as well as a degree from Stanford and have been the President of an arena football league champion and owned a MULTI million dollar chain of car dealerships.

Personally I am shocked on how many of them there are here posting on the Mane ???

That's kinda funny.

Course if you carry this logic out only people that had been president of the USA would be qualified to vote for the president of the USA

worm
01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Pretty sure Elway made a pass at Shannys wife so he had to go.

baja
01-03-2011, 08:36 AM

You mean he tried to slip her the worm worm?

Jason in LA
01-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Like it's been said, Shanny had total control, so what would have Elway done? So yeah, it was because of Shanny, but that doesn't mean that they have problems with each other.

bowtown
01-03-2011, 08:55 AM

I heard it was Peyton Hillis dressed like Elway. They can be hard to tell apart.

txtebow
01-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Elway got drunk, hit on Peggy Shanahan, then Janet Elway divorced John and the relationship b/w Mike and John was never the same. don't shoot the messenger.

HEAV
01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Plain & simple... Shany was, is and always will be a control freak and he (like many coaches) needs to be the single power. I don't blame Shanny for being so controlling...Elway would have taken away his power stroke and divided the sides.

bendog
01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
yeah, it's not "news."

gunns
01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
ShareretweetEmailPrintSun Jan 02 05:07pm EST

Could John Elway save the Broncos all over again?
By Doug Farrar
The Denver Broncos are a team in transition, which is a nice way of saying that they have very few things going for them after the two-year waste job that Josh McDaniels performed on the franchise. At best, the Broncos will finish with a 5-11 record, and after finally firing McDaniels, team owner Pat Bowlen was left with a barren landscape due not only to the horrible personnel decisions McDaniels made, but the authority he had. Alleged GM Brian Xanders has said that he wants to stay on in a larger role (and let's be honest; you can't blame Xanders for what happened under McDaniels, but the real need in Denver is for a voice of undisputable credibility to lead a reconstruction.

If the news we're hearing is true, the Broncos are about to announce a name that could hardly be topped in the state of Colorado when it comes to perfect football memories: John Elway, the slam-dunk Hall of Famer and possibly the best quarterback ever to play the game (that's me sneaking in my argument), will accept the position of Vice-President of Football Operations with the team as early as Monday.

Drafted by the team in 1983, Elway led the Broncos to five Super Bowls, winning the last two when he finally had a better-than-average team around him before retiring after the 1998 season.

Of course, the questions are just how involved Elway will be in day-to-day operations, and what will prevent him from becoming another Matt Millen - an outstanding ex-player (which Millen was) with no clue whatsoever what it takes to run a front office and gather the right kind of personnel together to perform on the field. In short, is this going to be a promotional hire driven by a need to get Broncos fans thinking about the good times?

"I'm not going to get too far into that now," Elway said Friday on a local radio show. "Hopefully, we get something done (this week). We'll get that all settled. There is a process that has to be followed. If you understand, I don't want to say too much about it right now."

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Elway will take his title - the same one given to Mike Shanahan as a result of the Super Bowls Shanahan and Elway won together in the late 1990s - and work every day out of an office at the team facility. His job will not be to gladhand advertisers and play in Pro-Ams. But can he do what needs to be done?

"It's something that's been on his to-do list forever," former teammate Karl Mecklenberg told Klis. "It's not like the team came to him and said, 'We need your help, we need you to be a figurehead.' When he came to Mr. Bowlen before, Mr. Bowlen made sure he ran him through that whole Arena (Football League) thing. Mr. Bowlen had John run the Crush, and he learned the ropes there. It's about time. They need something. I don't know if a guy in the front office is necessarily the answer. But I think John will figure it out."

Mecklenburg's point is a good one. Elway ran the Colorado Crush Arena League team, and the fact that he's a coach's son - the son of the legendary Jack Elway - adds some credibility to the idea that he has the acumen to put this together if he can surround himself with the right people. Elway's competitiveness has never been questioned, nor has his intelligence. If he can work with Xanders, who understands the needs of the modern NFL, and has a competent scouting staff ... well, everybody has to start somewhere.

"He has true leadership skills, mental toughness. I can tell that," Xanders said. "And he's going to hold everybody accountable. I think it's a great opportunity for him to oversee the whole football operations of the Denver Broncos, because he knows the expectations of the fans and the organization. And he's going to try and lead us there."

It may not be a traditionally successful transition, but the Broncos could do worse. Remember that for every Matt Millen, there's an Ozzie Newsome, the great tight end who's run the Baltimore Ravens for years and has done so as well as any personnel executive. Who's to say that Elway couldn't make the same leap?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Could-John-Elway-save-the-Broncos-all-over-again?urn=nfl-302561

Taco John
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Thoughts?

Of course he was. Elway has been angling for Shanahan's job. This is hardly a revelation. Elway never wanted to come on board and work for anybody but Pat. He wanted to come on board and be a shot caller.

Rohirrim
01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Elway got a degree in economics at Stanford. He's no dummy.

bendog
01-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Of course he was. Elway has been angling for Shanahan's job. This is hardly a revelation. Elway never wanted to come on board and work for anybody but Pat. He wanted to come on board and be a shot caller.

Exactly. there wasn't an "underlying problem." The problem was Shanny wanted to be the highest voice next to Bowlen. lol

I doubt it'll be a traditional GM, but more an executive with various functions of a real GM parcelled out, and Elway essentially being Bowlen's eyes and ears with access to the entire operation, from cap and personnel down to evaluating how well the team prepares each week. I doubt Elway wants to work 70 hour weeks, but he should be game for 10-6 with early tee times a couple of times a week and lunches and cocktails at 6.

houghtam
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Elway got a degree in economics at Stanford. He's no dummy.

This.

cutthemdown
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM

He should have said same thing to his son when he applied to be offensive coordinator for the skins :)

bloodsunday
01-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Actually, there was a rumor of bad blood between Elway and Shanny that was left over from the Reeves era.

broncocalijohn
01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Yup, I'm surprised to see that so many are treating this like new information. There's a reason Elway disappeared after his retirement and has reappeared now that Shanahan is gone.

Why did it take 2 full seasons removed to come back? He could have made his offer when McDaniels was hired (or got in between Shanny's firing and McDaniels hiring). The delay could be just because Elway had other interests going on as he did have his Arena football team with his car dealerships.

TonyR
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Why did it take 2 full seasons removed to come back? He could have made his offer when McDaniels was hired (or got in between Shanny's firing and McDaniels hiring). The delay could be just because Elway had other interests going on as he did have his Arena football team with his car dealerships.

No, what I'm referring to is that Elway wasn't around hardly at all after retiring. He's been around here and there the last couple of years. I have no explanation as to why he's just now getting more formally involved, but my best guess would be that Bowlen is interested now that the team is in such disarray and possibly related to his rumored health issues.

mkporter
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Like it's been said, Shanny had total control, so what would have Elway done? So yeah, it was because of Shanny, but that doesn't mean that they have problems with each other.

They definitely have issues with each other. It's not just that Elway didn't have an official role on the team, but he never visited at training camp, or anything, like you see Rod Smith or some of the other vets do from time to time.

bendog
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Actually, there was a rumor of bad blood between Elway and Shanny that was left over from the Reeves era.

Shanny and elway stopped being big compardres when Shanny ceased being his OC/QB coach and confidant. That's not unusual. It's why the Bates McD thing could never work. McD was so paranoid people would notice he was further in over his head than Singletary no way he was going to let a staff carryover hear the QB's complaints over personnel, offensive philosophy, game decisions, etc. It worked because kubes had both elway's and shanny's total confidence.

Elways rift with the broncos organization itself, was as TJ put it simply because Elway wanted to be the main source of Bowlen's decision making info, and Shanny guarded that power like his jewels.

And Shanny's no more a control freak than Billicheat or Cowher or Gruden or Parcells

Missouribronc
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
No, what I'm referring to is that Elway wasn't around hardly at all after retiring. He's been around here and there the last couple of years. I have no explanation as to why he's just now getting more formally involved, but my best guess would be that Bowlen is interested now that the team is in such disarray and possibly related to his rumored health issues.

I think its because Elway wants to own the team, and this position and this opportunity will provide a platform for him to do that in the future. Previously, Bowlen probably wasn't in a position to make this position available to someone, like Elway.

If you look at Elways past business ventures, they've been in ownership, and now that he's showed he could run a successful business venture in the Crush, despite the league going under, Denver had/will have a successful arena league team. Think of that like somewhat of a tryout for the position Bowlen is now offering to Elway. I think it has more to do with business and experience than any perceived fight with Shanahan, although, as long as Shanahan was here, this position wouldn't have been made.

jutang
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
If Elway will be making the final say over personnel, this thing is going fall apart just like under McD. He hasn't shown any interest in the past scouting players or making GM decisions. On Draft day Elway will look exactly like Tebow did in the pocket against SD. I really hope the Broncos understand what Elway is great at and what areas he'll need support. I hope this will work out, but I have my doubts especially if Xanders stays. Even if he didn't agree with the personnel moves, Xanders didn't stop McD at all.

bendog
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
If Elway will be making the final say over personnel, this thing is going fall apart just like under McD. He hasn't shown any interest in the past scouting players or making GM decisions. On Draft day Elway will look exactly like Tebow did in the pocket against SD. I really hope the Broncos understand what Elway is great at and what areas he'll need support. I hope this will work out, but I have my doubts especially if Xanders stays. Even if he didn't agree with the personnel moves, Xanders didn't stop McD at all.

I suspect whoever the coach is will have the draft pick authority, but I suspect Bowlen/Elway will have the power to veto a high pick or trade of a high pick. I'm curious how McD left the scouting staff with the Goodmans getting run off. From what I read, Elway's more interested in putting people into places in the organization than he is in actually making decisions.

jutang
01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Having the coach have draft pick authority is why the Broncos have been mediocre to now the 2nd worst team in the NFL.

I don't think the scouting department is a weakness for the Broncos. Last few drafts showed a more coherent thought process albeit incorrect one with the decision to redraft an offense. The Broncos draft moves have been more sound since Sundquist was removed.

Circle Orange
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Ozzie Newsome worked as an executive under Bill Belichick in 1991-1995, followed the Browns to Baltimore, and worked his way up to VP of player personnel before being named GM in 2002.

Newsome is a classic example of a guy who worked his way up the corporate hierarchy.

As for the thread topic, does it really surprise anyone? Shanahan's primary focus is himself. Pretty much what you'd expect from anyone with his type A personality. After he gets the team over the hump the owner picks up the trophy and shouts "THIS ONE'S FOR JOHN!" Elway then rides off into the sunset after his second straight title, leaving Shanahan with Brister/Griese as his fall back in a title defense year.

So I doubt he was ecstatic with how his relationship with Elway the player wrapped up. He also likely was fully aware that Elway in the FO means less power for him as Bowlen clearly views Elway as the first citizen of Bronco Nation. There was no room for shared power in Shanahan's regime here, especially when that involves giving up some of the owner's mind-share to someone else.

Titanic egos in NFL = purse fights and hair pulling. It's so. BTW, would you guys like a slightly used coach back? We've got little use for him here in D.C. Ha!

Wes Mantooth
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
This is what I heard back after Elway retired. That Elway never "consulted" with Shanahan about his retirement, made the decision on his own, and it irked Shanahan presumably because of the above reason. Shanahan has an ego larger than most. I'm sure Elway wasn't going to run to Bowlen on January 1st 2009 and say here I am. I'm impressed on how he eased in. Hopefully after the April draft I'm still impressed.

Never a story about it, but Shanahans often hung out with John's Ex. Not too hard to imagine they had personal issues.

Hamrob
01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Here's what I recall.

1. Shanny and John weren't chums in 97/98...Kubs was Elways old chum and OC at the time. Shanny was the HC and acted like it (Distancing himself from JE in terms of how close they used to be when he was the OC)
2. Shanny and his wife were very close with Janet Elway. When John and Janet divorced (it wasn't pretty) and the Shanahan's fell on Janet's side of things. This strained Shanny and John's relationship and made it very difficult for the two to work together after John Retired.

That's what I remember about the skinny 10yrs ago.

baja
01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Shanny seems to be having PR trouble with the Washington fan base. I wonder if his job is in jeopardy.

Wes Mantooth
01-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Here's what I recall.

1. Shanny and John weren't chums in 97/98...Kubs was Elways old chum and OC at the time. Shanny was the HC and acted like it (Distancing himself from JE in terms of how close they used to be when he was the OC)
2. Shanny and his wife were very close with Janet Elway. When John and Janet divorced (it wasn't pretty) and the Shanahan's fell on Janet's side of things. This strained Shanny and John's relationship and made it very difficult for the two to work together after John Retired.

That's what I remember about the skinny 10yrs ago.

Yep. I concur. I remember the Shanahan's and Janet were seen together frequently at charity events and such.