PDA

View Full Version : Official Cassius Vaughn Appreciation Thread

bowtown
01-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Didn't see any official love being given to the guy for two great returns, one of them for TD.

schaaf
01-03-2011, 12:19 AM
I was surprised to see no love either.

For some reason whenever a player gives the salute he automatically becomes one of my new favorites

schaaf
01-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Listened to the first one on the radio, second on tv and they both looked and sounded pretty dang good. He is a very easy player to root for

bowtown
01-03-2011, 12:22 AM
I was surprised to see no love either.
For some reason whenever a player gives the salute he automatically becomes one of my new favorites

Well he's not white, so that might explain it.

bronco0608
01-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Another exclusive brought to you by bronco0608
DALLAS -- Cassius Vaughn can remember meeting with three friends that day, all Memphis-area products who, like him, were bound for Ole Miss. He convened with Greg Hardy, Cecil Frison and LaDerrick Vaughn at one of Downtown's finer dining establishments -- "Hooters," Cassius Vaughn said -- for a signing day party in February 2006. They signed their letters of intent, and the future was theirs.

"It was an exciting moment," Vaughn said.

In some ways, it feels like yesterday. In other ways, it feels like a lifetime ago. Because as quickly as the past four years have evaporated, Vaughn also knows he has changed a great deal. He has one game left in his college career, a meeting with No. 21 Oklahoma State (http://commercialappeal.sportsdirectinc.com/football/ncaaf-teams.aspx?page=/data/NCAAF/teams/team53.html) on Saturday in the 74th AT&T Cotton Bowl (http://commercialappeal.sportsdirectinc.com/football/ncaaf-preview.aspx?page=/data/NCAAF/matchups/g8_preview_28.html) at Cowboys Stadium, but he has little time for nostalgia. He already finds himself looking ahead once more.

"I'm out the door on my way to another chapter in my life, and it all catches up with you real fast," said Vaughn, a senior cornerback and former standout at East High. "But for a lot of the seniors, this game is like an audition. We're going to play hard."

An audition for the NFL: It has come to this for Vaughn, who has transformed himself from a raw talent into one of the more reliable cornerbacks in the Southeastern Conference. Tied for seventh in the league with 11 passes defended, including two interceptions, Vaughn is a major reason Ole Miss (http://commercialappeal.sportsdirectinc.com/football/ncaaf-teams.aspx?page=/data/NCAAF/teams/team77.html) (8-4, 4-4) is ranked 15th in the country in pass defense, limiting opponents to 179 yards per game.

Playing cornerback tends to be a thankless job, but Vaughn -- recruited by most schools out of high school as a running back -- has embraced his role. He enjoys being out there on the island, matching up against top-flight receivers, man-to-man without a safety net.

"Cassius is a big-time competitor," said senior cornerback Marshay Green. "Anytime people like playing defense, you know it's going to be fun."

Vaughn showed up at Ole Miss with extraordinary speed. According to Green, Vaughn is capable of running the 40-yard dash in just over 4.3 seconds -- a time that would seem sure to pique the interest of NFL scouts. But as a freshman and sophomore, he was extremely raw. In high school, he could rely on his athleticism to compensate for mistakes or slight hesitations. Not in the SEC. He needed to hone his instincts, and he had to learn how to anticipate.

"The one thing about this league is that if you don't have a pre-snap plan for what you think they might do, you're not going to make the play," cornerbacks coach Chris Vaughn said. "Because these teams are too good at throwing and catching."
He made several plays this season that he probably would not have made earlier in his career. Chris Vaughn recalled two examples in particular. Against Southeastern Louisiana on Sept. 19, he went up with two hands -- a subtle but important detail -- to intercept an errant pass. And early in the second half against Tennessee on Nov. 14, Vaughn anticipated a screen pass across the middle that he deflected.

"I just got way more confident with this coaching staff," Cassius Vaughn said. "Just really understanding how to play defense, knowing what to do, being able to play fast. You come here wanting to practice and wanting to get better because you know you have lots of support."

No one besides his coaches and perhaps his teammates would remember those moments, but the significance was not lost on those who had invested in him. It was rewarding for Chris Vaughn, because all the pieces were beginning to fit. And while it might sound clichéd, Cassius' potential remains largely untapped.

"He's going to test well," Chris Vaughn said of the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine. "The big thing is, there's got to be a team out there that feels he brings something to the table and that he's nowhere near done with his development as far as where he can go. A team has to believe in him."

Vaughn will turn his full attention next week to preparing for the combine, though he will miss his friends -- especially his daily games of "Madden NFL" with teammates. He has more responsibilities now, including a 1-year-old son, Cassius Vaughn II, who won the Grizzlies' baby crawl contest during halftime of their game against the Indiana Pacers on Dec. 18.
Asked if his son is a cornerback in the making, Vaughn said: "Well, he's just trying to walk now."

As his father knows, there is plenty of time to grow.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/31/ole-miss-vaughn-grows-into-cb-role/

schaaf
01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
haha bowtown so true.

Agamemnon
01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Have to say, I'm little annoyed it took this long to discover Vaughn had return abilities like that. Decker wasn't bad, but he just doesn't have the speed. Vaughn looked better than all our returners this year by a mile.

Doggcow
01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Best thing about Vaughn is we don't have to worry about putting Patrick Peterson back there to return now :)

schaaf
01-03-2011, 12:48 AM
ohh Doggcow people will be all over you for that statement! it seems there are a lot of experts who really believe a top three pick is worth a d-lineman

Agamemnon
01-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Best thing about Vaughn is we don't have to worry about putting Patrick Peterson back there to return now :)

I we drafted Peterson with #2 pick and put him back there I would begin to wonder if the FO has a maximum IQ restriction for head coaches...

Cito Pelon
01-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Cassius is a keeper, that's for sure.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Man that was some sweet looking speed and some fluid motion he used on the way to the end zone. Between him and Eddie we ought to have a nice return game next year.

Cito Pelon
01-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Man that was some sweet looking speed and some fluid motion he used on the way to the end zone. Between him and Eddie we ought to have a nice return game next year.

Agreed. Dude has a long stride, covers ground fast.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-03-2011, 07:47 AM
He made Nate Kaeding look even more ridiculous, if that is possible.

Beantown Bronco
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
I we drafted Peterson with #2 pick and put him back there I would begin to wonder if the FO has a maximum IQ restriction for head coaches...

It's a myth that kick returners are any more likely to be hurt than any other position. If they draft him #2 and he's clearly the best we have at it, then you have him do it. Period.

jhns
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Have to say, I'm little annoyed it took this long to discover Vaughn had return abilities like that. Decker wasn't bad, but he just doesn't have the speed. Vaughn looked better than all our returners this year by a mile.

To be fair, others have looked good at times as well. The dolts have one of the worst special teams in the league as well. They were great returns but there is no reason to crown Vaughn something special yet.

footstepsfrom#27
01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
To be fair, others have looked good at times as well. The dolts have one of the worst special teams in the league as well. They were great returns but there is no reason to crown Vaughn something special yet.
Did you see the same thing I did? They never laid a finger on him. He's the fastest guy on this team from what was reported in training camp, but more importantly, and this is why I was excited when they picked this kid up in free agency...he was an all SEC corner and I think he's got a future in a year or so where he's at least competing for the nickel spot and possibly a starting spot. This kid has speed and quicks you can't coach and he's faced the best college competition and played at a high level. To find a guy with wheels like his in the free agency bargain bin is a head scratcher. I don't know if he's got some kind of character issue or what, but he's got talent higher than he's been allowed to show yet. Hopefully this highlight reel footage will net him a fair shake with the new coaching staff. If Cox goes up the river, the kid might have a chance to shine, and it would sure be great if he stepped right into that spot and played like Cox has played so far.

Boobs McGee
01-03-2011, 09:46 AM
<------------ -----------------

Kaylore
01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
He made Nate Kaeding look even more ridiculous, if that is possible.
LOL Mikhail Baryshnikov's ugly little brother.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
http://sigt.net/wp-content/uploads/spaceballs.jpg