PDA

View Full Version : Franchise tag?

Jesterhole
01-02-2011, 07:39 AM
So we have one right? What's to stop us from slapping it on Bailey and either getting value from a trade, or keeping him? Isn't that what it's for, to prevent your best player from leaving in FA? Why isn't this being talked about?

All the talk is about him leaving. Well, we don't have to let him leave, right?

OrangeSe7en
01-02-2011, 07:43 AM
The problem is that if you tag someone, you have to pay the average of the top 5 CBs in the NFL. It all starts with the teams willingness to pay that.

lostknight
01-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Champ's worth it.

Jesterhole
01-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Isn't he getting near that now? I think he made around 18 million this year. In any case, he's worth that kind of money. He's the kind of guy that can play at his level at corner or safety for another 4-5 years.

He and Doom give you a starting place to rebuild a defense. I'd like to see us to what it takes to keep him.

Did we ever get a real reason why the contract talks broke off with him suddenly during the season? I probably blamed it on McDouche at the time, but that surely wasn't it...

ayjackson
01-02-2011, 08:19 AM
I think you`d have to franchise Champ to give us a full year of finding some depth at corner. There`s not much there right now. And if we go Luck or Fairley in the draft (instead of Peterson), then we`re developing second and third rounders - which likely takes a season.

Beantown Bronco
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
So we have one right? What's to stop us from slapping it on Bailey and either getting value from a trade, or keeping him? Isn't that what it's for, to prevent your best player from leaving in FA? Why isn't this being talked about?

All the talk is about him leaving. Well, we don't have to let him leave, right?

Nope. As of today, there are no franchise tags or transitition tags or any other types of tags or tenders available to any teams in 2011. And there won't be any new info on this until a new CBA is signed.

In short, Champ cannot be tagged.

Jesterhole
01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Nope. As of today, there are no franchise tags or transitition tags or any other types of tags or tenders available to any teams in 2011. And there won't be any new info on this until a new CBA is signed.

In short, Champ cannot be tagged.

Damn.

:vermeil:

:redpunch:

:cuss:

CEH
01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
The problem is that if you tag someone, you have to pay the average of the top 5 CBs in the NFL. It all starts with the teams willingness to pay that.

That will actually be a pay cut for Champ

Denver had a 4 year contract on the table with the last two year an express interest to move him to safety. They got cold feet when you looked around the league and saw no DBs at 35 /36 making the kind of money Champ will be making

I still think when the CBA comes along Champ and Denver will work something out. We can become relavant next year so having Champ is an asset