PDA

View Full Version : Elway on Tebow's first two starts and "it factor"

Gutless Drunk
01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Elway on Tebow's first two starts and "it factor"

http://www.877theticket.com/page/59/The_John_Elway_Show

"On Tim Tebow's first two starts
I really thought he played well the last two weeks. What you saw in Tim Tebow last week is his bread and butter and that's his grit and his leadership and his desire and determination to win. Those are the intangibles that Tim Tebow brings. Obviously there are other questions on the other areas, his release and those types of things. I think what you saw last week against Houston was what got him drafted and got people intrigued about him was the intangibles that he does have and you saw that last week in the way that he plays.

On how far the "it factor" can take you
I think that it's something that helps you. There's no question it gets you over in close games. It can make a difference in two teams that are close. I don't think it can get you 12 wins a year by itself. Tim, obviously, is still raw. There's still a lot of things that Tim has to get better with. He'll get that. We look at him and there's so much hope in him because of what he did in his college career. He's really raw. He's very mature when it comes down to the emotional side of the game, what it takes and the determination. He's very emotional on that side. Like any other young guy coming into the league that comes out of college, he's still real raw on the physical side. He's got a long way to go on that side of it. You see some of that in the game last week. He was late on some throws. He missed a couple throws. To me, the "it factor" gets you from good to great. To get to good, you need to make all the throws you need to make and you need to make the throws you're expected to make and the ones that have to be made."

dbfan21
01-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Doesn't it seem like Elway is not as enthused about Tebow now that he will be in the FO? In the preseason, Elway was very impressed with everything about Tebow...now Elway is using very wishy-washy language. He used "raw" to describe him three times and said Tim has a long way to go in terms of physical development. This reeks of drafting a QB early and/or trading Tebow.

Likwid Kerruj
01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
John's not tipping his hand either way.

HAT
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Doesn't it seem like Elway is not as enthused about Tebow now that he will be in the FO? In the preseason, Elway was very impressed with everything about Tebow...now Elway is using very wishy-washy language. He used "raw" to describe him three times and said Tim has a long way to go in terms of physical development. This reeks of drafting a QB early and/or trading Tebow.

That's exactly what I got out of the piece.

montrose
01-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Accountability, no one wants it in regards to a QB they didn't draft. If Tebow fails, "Hey, I didn't take him." If he succeeds - well then no one cares.

LonghornBronco
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Not a "ringing endorsement" by any means.

Do you think he goes after Luck? Sounds like he might...

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM

I really thought he played well the last two weeks. What you saw in Tim Tebow last week is his bread and butter and that's his grit and his leadership and his desire and determination to win. Those are the intangibles that Tim Tebow brings. Obviously there are other questions on the other areas, his release and those types of things. I think what you saw last week against Houston was what got him drafted and got people intrigued about him was the intangibles that he does have and you saw that last week in the way that he plays.

I think that it's something that helps you. There's no question it gets you over in close games. It can make a difference in two teams that are close. I don't think it can get you 12 wins a year by itself. Tim, obviously, is still raw. There's still a lot of things that Tim has to get better with. He'll get that. We look at him and there's so much hope in him because of what he did in his college career. He's really raw. He's very mature when it comes down to the emotional side of the game, what it takes and the determination. He's very emotional on that side. Like any other young guy coming into the league that comes out of college, he's still real raw on the physical side. He's got a long way to go on that side of it. You see some of that in the game last week. He was late on some throws. He missed a couple throws. To me, the "it factor" gets you from good to great. To get to good, you need to make all the throws you need to make and you need to make the throws you're expected to make and the ones that have to be made."

Jeez, that sounds a lot like Elway coming out of college. He was all 'it' and raw talent.

Cmac821
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Tebow is the only one still trying besides loyd, I think at the very least he should be allowed to compete for the job but not with a another first round QB.

ro_50
01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Interesting what Elway said -- in the offseason he was all about Tebow and not now.

I hope Elway knows what he's doing in his new role starting next week. Even great players sometimes don't make good front office people.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 12:21 PM

He also said, "There's still a lot of things that Tim has to get better with. He'll get that.

Sounds like he's pretty positive about Tebow's potential. Listen, if anybody knows about the it factor and raw talent, it's Elway.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 12:24 PM

I don't think so.

Gcver2ver3
01-01-2011, 12:27 PM

tell us one more time that he's raw, i think i missed it the 1st three times...

Gcver2ver3
01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
He also said, "There's still a lot of things that Tim has to get better with. He'll get that.

Sounds like he's pretty positive about Tebow's potential. Listen, if anybody knows about the it factor and raw talent, it's Elway.

yea, i suppose we could take his comments a number of ways...

that was a positive quote, but overall, personally i didn't feel there was exactly a ringing endorsement...

not exactly a bad thing, but if Tebow performs well against SD, i hope Elway endorsed Tebow a little more...

i am ready to commit to Tebow...

strafen
01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Elway is spot on and very realistic and objective in his assessment of Tebow.
Nothing really surprising to anybody here understanding that those are typical traits of a rookie QB.

He's going to be raw, he's going to make mistakes, his timing and what have you, would need work, etc...

What people need to understand here is that those things get corrected with more repetition. The more he plays, the better he gets at those things.

On the flip side, that IT factor, Tebow's got it. You can't teach that, you can't learn that.
Either you have IT or you don't.

Nothing that Elway said about Tebow being raw and the things he didn't do right can be viewed as an indictment of Tebow.
All the contrary; we got something we can work with

GoBroncos84
01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I am very excited about Tim Tebow. The upside is through the roof and the intangibles are incredible. On top of that, he is very physically gifted. That being said, anyone who doesn't think Tim Tebow is very raw and still has a lot to improve on is being completely naive. He does have a long way to go before he is "great". Tim is bringing us hope and excitement, something we have been missing for years, and what he pulled off last week reminded me greatly of watching the Elway led Broncos. But we have to be realistic. There will be growing pains. There is a lot of tweaks to still be made and a lot of experience that still needs to be gained for Tim. I don't see John's statement as being negative, he is talking about a rookie QB who has tons of upside but still needs to improve on some of the basics. It's a completely accurate assessment.

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Elway and Bowlen really need to take some public speaking courses this offseason.

AmericanBroncFan
01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Drafting a QB instead of building this defense would set this franchise back farther than we already are. Peyton Manning would lose 10+ games with our defense.

Broncoman13
01-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I think Elway will work to get Luck. But if he doesn't get Luck he will be willing to work with Tebow. I think you got a little bit of talking out of both sides of your mouth with that interview. If Luck is our pick then he can simply point at all of Tebow's physical flaws as a QB. If Luck doesn't come out then he can roll with Tebow and say we just have to work on his throwing and the mental development.

Make no mistake about it though, if Luck declares the Broncos will make a play for him. There are several former and current Bronco players and execs with chubbies for Andy Luck!

Wondering what Raj is hearing behind the scenes about their Luck man crush. Ask Eddy Mac about Tebow's last game and he will be very choosy with his compliments. He wants Luck in Denver as well!

Lomax
01-01-2011, 01:02 PM
"To me, the "it factor" gets you from good to great. To get to good, you need to make all the throws you need to make and you need to make the throws you're expected to make and the ones that have to be made."<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

He's basically saying Tebow isn't yet a "good" QB. Reading between the lines, I get that he's not ready to hand the keys to the Camaro over to him just yet. The new (or current) coach will be able to make the decision on who their QB is going to be.

Heaping praise on the kid would probably have not gone over well with established HC candidates. I think Elway played it right.

go_broncos
01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
We need to give Tebow a chance..I believe that he will become a great QB.
Looks like Elway will draft Luck if given a chance..I think we need to concentrate on defense instead of drafting one more QB.

Orange4Life
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I think it is fair assessment from Elway. If Elway comes out and gives an overly optimistic view of Tebow it does no favors to Tim. Expectations would sky rocket.

Natedog24
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I think it is fair assessment from Elway. If Elway comes out and gives an overly optimistic view of Tebow it does no favors to Tim. Expectations would sky rocket.

Exactly, I don't see why people are making such a big deal of this. And its not like Elway fabricated the truth in any way, Tebow does have a lot to work on. We've only seen two games from him, let fans go crazy with Tebowmania but I like that guys in our FO are taking everything with a grain of salt at this point.

Ray Finkle
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
he is giving an assessment of a rookie....what is he suppose to say "WOWWEEE ZOWWEE! HE'S GOING TO THE QB G.O.A.T.!

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 01:42 PM
yea, i suppose we could take his comments a number of ways...

that was a positive quote, but overall, personally i didn't feel there was exactly a ringing endorsement...

not exactly a bad thing, but if Tebow performs well against SD, i hope Elway endorsed Tebow a little more...

i am ready to commit to Tebow...

Elway was just trying to be objective, I guess. If he went all gushing like Carl Peterson about Brodie Croyle people would wonder if Elway is just a cheerleader or actually has something between the ears.

Bronco Yoda
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't blame Elway for playing it that way. He's hedging a little bit. Big difference from being an onlooker to being somewhat responsible as a team admin. Always good to keep your options open.

But for those who never saw a young Elway. He was really raw too. Took him years to develope a touch pass. He wasn't exactly the quickest at reading defenses either early on. He''d either run or drill it into someone at mach 2. He'd knock his WR's over on short routes. But he had that 'IT' factor.

Pony Boy
01-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I'll bet Elway plays poker.....

oubronco
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
PR move

Karenin
01-01-2011, 01:48 PM

0% chance.

snowspot66
01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
All we need is Tebow to get us a win against the Chargers and we won't have a chance in hell at Luck anyway.

Karenin
01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Even if we have the 2nd pick, we don't have a chance in hell at Luck. The Panthers are drafting him 100% unless someone pulls a Herschel Walker to get him.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Elway and Bowlen really need to take some public speaking courses this offseason.

This is a transcript of Elway's weekly guest spot on that radio show. Elway is actually very articulate and germane. He's actually the star guest, Elway knows what's what with the NFL and the Broncos. They asked him earlier this year to name every starting QB the Broncos have had since Peyton Manning came into the league and he named every single one, Jarious Jackson, all of them. Elway knows a ton about the NFL and the Broncos.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I think Elway will work to get Luck. But if he doesn't get Luck he will be willing to work with Tebow. I think you got a little bit of talking out of both sides of your mouth with that interview. If Luck is our pick then he can simply point at all of Tebow's physical flaws as a QB. If Luck doesn't come out then he can roll with Tebow and say we just have to work on his throwing and the mental development.

Make no mistake about it though, if Luck declares the Broncos will make a play for him. There are several former and current Bronco players and execs with chubbies for Andy Luck!

Wondering what Raj is hearing behind the scenes about their Luck man crush. Ask Eddy Mac about Tebow's last game and he will be very choosy with his compliments. He wants Luck in Denver as well!

I don't know, but I'm not seeing a play for Luck. I hope not, anyway. Kid is a redshirt sophomore for crying out loud. Tommy Maddox all over again.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't blame Elway for playing it that way. He's hedging a little bit. Big difference from being an onlooker to being somewhat responsible as a team admin. Always good to keep your options open.

But for those who never saw a young Elway. He was really raw too. Took him years to develope a touch pass. He wasn't exactly the quickest at reading defenses either early on. He''d either run or drill it into someone at mach 2. He'd knock his WR's over on short routes. But he had that 'IT' factor.

All true.

Gcver2ver3
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Elway was just trying to be objective, I guess. If he went all gushing like Carl Peterson about Brodie Croyle people would wonder if Elway is just a cheerleader or actually has something between the ears.

yeah, good point...

Gcver2ver3
01-01-2011, 02:06 PM
good points are being made...

Elway would be prudent to make franchises believe we could go QB with our 1st selection...

that could help us garner better trade value for our pick if we wanted to trade it...

hopefully thats the strategy...

Hulamau
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Absolutely, in no way was Elway dissing Tebow. He was speaking the obvious truth as well as motivating Tim ( though he hardly needs it) to continue working on the little things that will complete his game.

Some of you guys are WAY too sensative in reading tea leaves here. Elway is a pretty straight shooter and he isnt' going to gush about Tebow when he is still an obvious work in progress.

He noted Tim's maturity on the field and said "Like everyone coming out of college he's very raw on the physical side and knowing when to release the ball etc... "He'll get that".

Chill out guys, this is just how rumors start. Someone goes way over board in interpreting a pretty basic and straight forward comment and before you know it ESPN is announcing Elway has just traded Tebow for a box of Oreo's.

Jesterhole
01-01-2011, 02:21 PM
John's part of the FO now. He can't come out and gush all over the kid...that wouldn't help anything in the long run. He gave a very sober, unemotional response...exactly what you want out of a GM type.

If he had come out and said "I sure do love Tim tebow he's the greatest can't wait for next year Go Broncos!" then I would have been worried...

Hamrob
01-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Even if we have the 2nd pick, we don't have a chance in hell at Luck. The Panthers are drafting him 100% unless someone pulls a Herschel Walker to get him.Maybe not...if they believe in Clausen. We could give them the #2, a 2nd and Orton. OR, if we win tomorrow. We could give them the #5, a 2nd, Orton and next years #1.

It could be done...and if Elway really wants Luck...he'll give it a go.

Nobody thought that we'd have any chance of getting Elway...but, we did...and the rest is history. Deberg = Orton

It all hinges on how much they believe in Tebow. I think (we) the fans are there by and large...but, I don't think front office people are even close to being sold as of yet.

TDmvp
01-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Maybe not...if they believe in Clausen. We could give them the #2, a 2nd and Orton. OR, if we win tomorrow. We could give them the #5, a 2nd, Orton and next years #1.

It could be done...and if Elway really wants Luck...he'll give it a go.

Nobody thought that we'd have any chance of getting Elway...but, we did...and the rest is history. Deberg = Orton

It all hinges on how much they believe in Tebow. I think (we) the fans are there by and large...but, I don't think front office people are even close to being sold as of yet.

Considering Clausen was the worst rated qb in the NFL this year I doubt they think he is the answer.

Hamrob
01-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Considering Clausen was the worst rated qb in the NFL this year I doubt they think he is the answer.Considering that Bradford played twice as much as Clausen and is listed at #24...I'm not so sure that Stats should be end all when it comes to rookie QB's.

strafen
01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
What Elway said about Tebow could very well be said on any QB including Luck after his fourth preseason game in assessing his progress.
I really see no difference in assessing a QB who's merely played 4 games in the NFL...

Hercules Rockefeller
01-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Maybe not...if they believe in Clausen. We could give them the #2, a 2nd and Orton. OR, if we win tomorrow. We could give them the #5, a 2nd, Orton and next years #1.

If they believe in Clausen, why do they trade for Orton? They're devaluing what they can get for the 1st overall by taking someone who would be Clausen's backup.

This team is also in no way shape or form in a position to start giving away even more draft picks either.

gtown
01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Pretty objective assessment. But Elway will soon be a front office Bronco rep. How much credence should we place on his words in the public record?

broncswin
01-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I think we should quit thinking we know what John is thinking...trying to break down a little segement on John addressing the media about his rookie QB who only has two career starts under his belt and is either adored or hated by the public is just crazy. There is no way he shows his hand, knowing that we may very well have a coveted pick in the 2011 draft.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-01-2011, 03:33 PM
What Elway said about Tebow could very well be said on any QB including Luck after his fourth preseason game in assessing his progress.
I really see no difference in assessing a QB who's merely played 4 games in the NFL...

Yeah, except he's already displayed ability to make big plays in big spots and lead. If he can do it once, he has the potential to do it all the time. It will take improvement and hard work, but i have zero doubt that Tim will put in the time.

Tombstone RJ
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Elway being very diplomatic. He's a Stanford grad, he knows what not to say. The reality of the situation is that Elway has basically said nothing. He's not endorsing, he's not blaming or criticising. Well played sir.

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2011, 06:30 PM
This is a transcript of Elway's weekly guest spot on that radio show. Elway is actually very articulate and germane. He's actually the star guest, Elway knows what's what with the NFL and the Broncos. They asked him earlier this year to name every starting QB the Broncos have had since Peyton Manning came into the league and he named every single one, Jarious Jackson, all of them. Elway knows a ton about the NFL and the Broncos.

Aside from the underlined sentence, what does ANY of that have to do with my comment? I said he needs a public speaking course. His comments were a rambling mess in that particular interview, and others I've seen. That is what I was commenting on. Whether or not he knows every QB we've had on our roster for the last 10 years isn't relevant. What if I knew that same info? Does that automatically make me a good public speaker?

And, speaking of the underlined sentence, you may want to stay away from words that you don't understand. Elway is not germane. Perhaps you mean his knowledge of the Broncos is germane?

strafen
01-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Aside from the underlined sentence, what does ANY of that have to do with my comment? I said he needs a public speaking course. His comments were a rambling mess in that particular interview, and others I've seen. That is what I was commenting on. Whether or not he knows every QB we've had on our roster for the last 10 years isn't relevant. What if I knew that same info? Does that automatically make me a good public speaker?

And, speaking of the underlined sentence, you may want to stay away from words that you don't understand. Elway is not germane. Perhaps you mean his knowledge of the Broncos is germane?Perhaps you can redirect your complains about Elway's poor use of the english language to the Broncos organization?
Blaming the Stanford educational system may also be a viable option.

Otherwise, who gives a rat's ass about it...

BrownsClown1
01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I think Elway likes Quinn.
He can teach him to be a leader.
He can teach him to throw better.
He can teach him to throw more accurate.
He can teach him to read defenses.

We'll see where this goes.

My guess is 2-14!:sunshine::sunshine:

enjolras
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm just getting a really bad feeling from this. Elway and Tebow really didn't play the QB position in anything resembling the same way. Elway had a quick release. He was mobile, but there were few designed QB runs in his playbook.

I think he covets Luck. I base that on nothing but the few public statements by Elway. I really think Elway, correctly or not, thinks Tebow will not develop into an effective NFL QB.

Jesterhole
01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm just getting a really bad feeling from this. Elway and Tebow really didn't play the QB position in anything resembling the same way. Elway had a quick release. He was mobile, but there were few designed QB runs in his playbook.

I think he covets Luck. I base that on nothing but the few public statements by Elway. I really think Elway, correctly or not, thinks Tebow will not develop into an effective NFL QB.

They absolutely did. Tim doesn't have the raw arm strength that John had, but their mobility, size, and intangibles are on the same level. Tim seems to have had a much better start than John did as well. What happens when the kid really learns the pro game?

It pays to be prudent here when you're in John's position, you can't read anything else into it, and certainly not that he doesn't think Tim will develop.

strafen
01-01-2011, 07:32 PM

I think he covets Luck. I base that on nothing but the few public statements by Elway. I really think Elway, correctly or not, thinks Tebow will not develop into an effective NFL QB.I doubt it.
Not after what we've all seen of Tebow thus far.
Like I said, what Elway said was nothing new or something we didn't already know...

anon
01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I agree that Elway didn't say anything that wasn't already known, except to Tebow superfans who seem to have a tendency to read negativity into anything that's isn't glowing praise.

What Elway said directly and/or implied:

1) Tebow has the "it" factor.
2) You have to be able to make all the basic throws and execute a full playbook to be considered a "good" quarterback.
3) Once you are good, what separates a "good" quarterback and a "great" quarterback are the intangibles.

Overall, his comments were neutral and maybe even very slightly on the positive side, but with caveats -- perfectly reasonable at this point in time.

Jay3
01-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I think he just wants to dial back expectations. This "it factor" thing has gotten out of hand a little bit. The Texans were the worst defense of all time.

Elway knows there are some rough days ahead.

OrangeSe7en
01-01-2011, 08:12 PM
They absolutely did. Tim doesn't have the raw arm strength that John had, but their mobility, size, and intangibles are on the same level. Tim seems to have had a much better start than John did as well. What happens when the kid really learns the pro game?

It pays to be prudent here when you're in John's position, you can't read anything else into it, and certainly not that he doesn't think Tim will develop.

Yeah, but thats practically every prospect in the history of the draft. Luck doesnt have Elway's arm strength.

jsco70
01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I am not sold on Elway in the front office at all. Furthermore, it will be totally ironic if my favorite Bronco dumps my new favorite Bronco. Not only would it be ironic, but it would piss me off because I believe Tebow will become a great player.

strafen
01-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I am not sold on Elway in the front office at all. Furthermore, it will be totally ironic if my favorite Bronco dumps my new favorite Bronco. Not only would it be ironic, but it would piss me off because I believe Tebow will become a great player.I just think people are reading too much past into what it really is.
I don't see the Broncos getting rid of a 1st round QB with lots of potential in favor of another with comparable skills, who is yet to prove it in the NFL as quickly as Tebow has...

Play2win
01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
All he did was leave the door open, so he could make a swift (justified) decision in either direction (Tebow or not), when the time comes.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 08:44 PM

And, speaking of the underlined sentence, you may want to stay away from words that you don't understand. Elway is not germane. Perhaps you mean his knowledge of the Broncos is germane?

I replied to your comment, then went on to make another point. So up your ass you piece of ****.

My usage of "germane" was perfectly correct, so kiss my ass you co****cking piece of ****. Was that germane to your sniveling? If not, too bad you fat-mouthed jackass.

Happy New Year.

jsco70
01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I just think people are reading too much past into what it really is.
I don't see the Broncos getting rid of a 1st round QB with lots of potential in favor of another with comparable skills, who is yet to prove it in the NFL as quickly as Tebow has...

I agree and think it would be foolish to discard Tebow when the defense is such a mess. On the other hand, Elway might try to make an immediate imprint on the franchise and do something unexpected. This type of scenario is what concerns me because, frankly, I don't think he's qualified to be GM.

peacepipe
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM

I think he covets Luck. I base that on nothing but the few public statements by Elway. I really think Elway, correctly or not, thinks Tebow will not develop into an effective NFL QB.May think Luck has a higher ceiling.

snowspot66
01-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I agree and think it would be foolish to discard Tebow when the defense is such a mess. On the other hand, Elway might try to make an immediate imprint on the franchise and do something unexpected. This type of scenario is what concerns me because, frankly, I don't think he's qualified to be GM.

He's not the GM and doesn't want to be. He wants nothing to do with directly picking/trading/signing players. He said so himself.

Darkdoc
01-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Since Elway is joining the front office, and as he is almost assuredly going to be asked to participate in the development of Tebow, then Elway is not likely to gush all over his new student in an interview.

He'll want to leave himself with room to both encourage and criticize Tebow, while working on his technique, knowledge of the game, and the correction of mistakes made in actual game situations. His responses to questions about Tebow will be guarded - they will be generic for now. Dissecting every word and phrase makes no sense for now.

They are not getting Luck - doesn't make business sense, draft position won't be right (especially if they beat SD tomorrow), there is a level of risk with any draft choice and they have already absorbed that risk with the Tebow selection, and now the fan base is solidly behind Tebow. Plus, I think they would rather spend the risk of a high No.1 pick on defense.

peacepipe
01-01-2011, 09:21 PM
The fan base will come out for the broncos regardless as long as it produces wins on the field. broncos 1st individual players 2nd. would the fan base get upset? yeah. but we'll get over it. the fan base was there before tebow they'll be there after tebow.

epicSocialism4tw
01-01-2011, 09:42 PM
he is giving an assessment of a rookie....what is he suppose to say "WOWWEEE ZOWWEE! HE'S GOING TO THE QB G.O.A.T.!

No doubt.

Elway is not hedging his bets here. He's saying what a coach would say about any player. "We like what he's doing, but theres stuff to work on."

Its coach-speak, people.

Quit with the controversy.

bpc
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately what I get from this is that John thinks Tebow has skill to get you from good to great but did not afford him that praise leaving the situation dicey. I hate to criticize the duke but its not like Tebow lined up under a guard or anything. He threw for 300yds in his second start.

The worst part about Elways deal is his connection to Stanford. It's starting to smell awful homerish to me and will continue to do so if go down the route of attempting to land Luck.

peacepipe
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately what I get from this is that John thinks Tebow has skill to get you from good to great but did not afford him that praise leaving the situation dicey. I hate to criticize the duke but its not like Tebow lined up under a guard or anything. He threw for 300yds in his second start.

The worst part about Elways deal is his connection to Stanford. It's starting to smell awful homerish to me and will continue to do so if go down the route of attempting to land Luck.

I was thinking the samething about how people think of Tebow

epicSocialism4tw
01-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Absolutely, in no way was Elway dissing Tebow. He was speaking the obvious truth as well as motivating Tim ( though he hardly needs it) to continue working on the little things that will complete his game.

Some of you guys are WAY too sensative in reading tea leaves here. Elway is a pretty straight shooter and he isnt' going to gush about Tebow when he is still an obvious work in progress.

He noted Tim's maturity on the field and said "Like everyone coming out of college he's very raw on the physical side and knowing when to release the ball etc... "He'll get that".

Chill out guys, this is just how rumors start. Someone goes way over board in interpreting a pretty basic and straight forward comment and before you know it ESPN is announcing Elway has just traded Tebow for a box of Oreo's.

Nailed it.

footstepsfrom#27
01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
That's a major leap of logic. What I took out of his comments, is that now that he's part of the team's FO, he's simply taking a bit of the edge off these insane exectations the fans have. Elway knows better than anyone what it's like to be a young QB in Denver with the fans putting you on a massive pedestal, the pressure, the constant scrutiny into your personal life (remember the Halloween candy thing), and of course the fact that he accomplished winning the Superbowl, Tebow faces even higher expectations. I think John's just lending Tebow a hand in trying to reduce the pressure on a young guy just learning the NFL.

Even if Elway wants Luck, I seriously doubt we could get him. Luck may not even come out this year for all we know. If he does, Carolina will either take him or extract a trade package much richer than we can provide without basically destroying the rest of the team in the process.

Pick Six
01-01-2011, 11:02 PM
I think some of you guys are reading into this wrong. Of course he's not going to have everything he needs to be a great quarterback, after only 2 complete games. That's just common sense. The "it" factor was what I read into Elway's comments. He has "it", and just has to continue his development as a quarterback...

listopencil
01-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Well, yeah. But don't you think he's a bit...raw?

epicSocialism4tw
01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, yeah. But don't you think he's a bit...raw?

Elway was certainly raw.

Tebow's first two games look like the greatest performance of all time if Elways first two games are the standard. Elway struggled big time during his first season.

Elway knows the refining process well enough to know to tell Tebow that its a long road from here, but Elway gave his subtle vote of confidence in that statement by saying "He'll get it".

You get this kind of "OMG!!11!!!!! Wez drarfting Luuuuu uck!!!!!!111!!!!" reactions from people who really dont understand what Elway was saying.

footstepsfrom#27
01-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I think he just wants to dial back expectations. This "it factor" thing has gotten out of hand a little bit. The Texans were the worst defense of all time.
Elway knows there are some rough days ahead.
Why do I keep hearing this repeated? They aren't even the worst defense this YEAR, and based on scoring, that distinction belongs to us...we're also worse than them in yardage allowed also. NOTHING I saw out of the Texans comes close to what I've seen in terms of ineptitude from the Broncos the last 3 years.

footstepsfrom#27
01-02-2011, 12:08 AM

Probably the worst thing that could happen is this; we try to land Luck but fail, therebye letting Tebow, as well as the fans know that the braintrust (I use the word losely at this point) has no confidence in Tebow. Talk about a disconnect between the team and the fan base...especially coming on the heels of the Cutler fiasco.

I hope John really knows what he's doing and isn't just enamored with being back in the mix of things. We desperately need some solid leadership in that FO and he seems to be the only one who could provide it, IF he is dedicated to the job and IF Bowlen gives him the time to learn what he's doing instead of just winging it because of his name being Elway.

broncocalijohn
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM

Elway does do speaking engagements and is damn good at it according to my cousin (who is his business partner in the past). I just think Elway wants to be middle of the road as they dont know what they will do with him in the offseason. If he stays, nothing else will come from it. He does sound a ton different when he is on this side of the aisle instead of Joe Fan where he is like Champ and positive about everybody.

enjolras
01-02-2011, 03:33 AM
I missed the comment about Elway being a poor public speaker. I've listened to him talk several times at various non-profit functions. That's definitely not an issue, he's really engaging.

bpc
01-02-2011, 04:01 AM
I was thinking the samething about how people think of Tebow

Where's the homerism? people are excited about Tebow because he's a fine young player, talented, a leader of men and has been a champion at every level he's played at. he's started twice and has left the fanbase craving more.

Luck is a nice player, dominated a weak defensive pac10 yet still has no championship rings to show for it. maybe that's the part that is resonating with john.

Personally I feel we have invested enough resources into the qb position to have it take us where we want to go. There is no guarantee luck does much on the next level, just like with Tim couch, joey Harrington, and Matt Leinart among others. Better to spend those picks elsewhere.

BabyTO
01-02-2011, 08:30 AM
uhhhh no thats what everybody with half a brain would call making sure the guy that everybody paints to be god knows that he needs to work his ass off. only a retard would come in and talk about how tebow is the greatest player in the history and that theres not gonna be any competition, so he doesnt really need to work that hard

come on man this is football 101

zdoor
01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Where's the homerism? people are excited about Tebow because he's a fine young player, talented, a leader of men and has been a champion at every level he's played at. he's started twice and has left the fanbase craving more.

Luck is a nice player, dominated a weak defensive pac10 yet still has no championship rings to show for it. maybe that's the part that is resonating with john.

Personally I feel we have invested enough resources into the qb position to have it take us where we want to go. There is no guarantee luck does much on the next level, just like with Tim couch, joey Harrington, and Matt Leinart among others. Better to spend those picks elsewhere.

Agree completely...

OrangeSe7en
01-02-2011, 10:36 AM

I agree with this. What if Tebow goes on to be a better QB than Luck? It would be like trading Hillis to make way for Moreno because Moreno was someone else's guy.

bowtown
01-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with this. What if Tebow goes on to be a better QB than Luck? It would be like trading Hillis to make way for Moreno because Moreno was someone else's guy.

What if Tebow goes on to be a great TE in the CBA, and Luck becomes the next Elway for another team? Tebow has two games as an NFL starter and 1 win. We know nearly nothing about how eiher of these guys' careers are going to play out, but if the Duke thinks the better gamble is Luck, then who am I to disagree? He may not be an expert talent evaluator, but I think he probably does know a little something about QBs.

Agamemnon
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Am I missing something? Didn't Tebow have one of the best 2nd starts by a rookie of all-time? Why is everyone (Elway included) acting like he did nothing more than show a little bit of potential? He showed a hell of a lot more than that...

Rohirrim
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Elway has spent a lot of Saturdays on the Stanford sidelines. I'm guessing he doesn't have any questions left regarding his opinion of Luck, whatever that opinion might be.

Agamemnon
01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
What if Tebow goes on to be a great TE in the CBA, and Luck becomes the next Elway for another team? Tebow has two games as an NFL starter and 1 win. We know nearly nothing about how eiher of these guys' careers are going to play out, but if the Duke thinks the better gamble is Luck, then who am I to disagree? He may not be an expert talent evaluator, but I think he probably does know a little something about QBs.

Betting on Luck requires the use of a 1st round pick that should be spent on defense. Seeing as we already have Tebow on the roster, considering Luck is the definition of crazy.

AmericanBroncFan
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
As I posted the other day, Peyton Manning and Walter Payton could be playing offense for us but without a defense they would only win 6 games.

OrangeSe7en
01-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Luck has only played against college players. We've at least know a little something about Tebow and he has actually shown us a glimpse of awesomeness.

Youre free to not question the Dukes decisions.