PDA

View Full Version : Studesville, Orton face uncertain future with Broncos

Bronco Rob
12-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Studesville, Orton face uncertain future with Broncos

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Posted: 12/31/2010 01:13:50 PM MST

The Broncos held their final full practice of 2010 today, with players and coaches all knowing they face an uncertain future after Sunday's season finale against San Diego.

Interim coach Eric Studesville said he's trying to hold off all thoughts about what comes next until Monday. Studesville will interview for the vacant head coaching position.

"They've indicated that we're going to talk, and we're going to settle all that next week, and get specific on dates and times, but from Day 1, I wanted to concentrate on the game at hand, so I'll worry about that after Sunday," Studesville said in his news conference today.

Players, too, know that the next coaching staff whoever is on it and whenever it's filled will likely make sweeping changes to the roster.

Quarterback Kyle Orton, the starter for 13 games before he was hurt and replaced by Tim Tebow, is one of the players who could be gone. The Broncos owe Orton $2.89 million guaranteed in 2011 and he would make a $6.89 million salary and receive a $1.5 million roster bonus if he is here next season.

"We'll just wait and see and see how it all shakes out. I'm not really having any expectations at all," Orton said.

Orton said he wants to be on a team where he feels "wanted and appreciated," and said that "no question" he feels like that in Denver.

Orton said he's still dealing with pain in his ribs, which has kept him from participating much in practice for the last three weeks. Orton has been the emergency third quarterback in the past two games, while Tebow has started. Orton said he didn't want to talk about how Tebow has played.

"I don't comment on other guys' play," Orton said.

Read more: Studesville, Orton face uncertain future with Broncos - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16982715#ixzz19kZzpniP
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Broncos_OTM
12-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Man Orton is bitter.What i dont get is he is injured if he was a team player he would have been ok with tebow starting.

OBF1
12-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Nothing uncertain about Studesville... He will be looking for a job after the new year.

GoBroncos84
12-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Nothing uncertain about Studesville... He will be looking for a job after the new year.

I do wonder if whoever comes in as coach would consider keeping him on as the RB coach if he finishes the season strong and the players want him. Obviously it depends on scheme, and new regime will most likely want their own guys coming in. But McD kept a few guys on originally, like Bobby Turner. So we will see. I like what I see from Studesville. Not enough to have him be the HC, but at his old position. Unless they feel they can upgrade from him

strafen
12-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Man Orton is bitter.What i dont get is he is injured if he was a team player he would have been ok with tebow starting.He knows he's played his last game as the Broncos starting QB.

lostknight
12-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Look, I posted before the season that this season was key to Orton getting his big "second contract." That contract, had he held off Tebow, and the team won, would have been worth ~50 million over four to five years. It's a bit unreasonable to expect Orton to grin and bear it that the Broncos have gone with Tebow.

Now all that being said, It really disturbs me that he hung out in the tunnel for the first half of last week, and leaked the media that he was "ready to come in anytime" while we were struggling first half. That's not particularly classy.

The Tebow fans want everyone to love him. There will always be people who hate him, if nothing else because of his success. Stop wasting time trying to convert them.

KipCorrington25
12-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Overall Orton seems like a good guy but you don't know how much is a front, I understand the competetor part but it seems like he has been reading his own press clipping or maybe just looking at his own stats to much and not owning the fact he can't get it done in crunch time and brings so little athletic abilty to the position.

Los Broncos
01-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Man, it ended really fast for Orton, I thought he would finish the season but once he crapped the bed that was it.

Tebow starting was the best thing that happened to this team.

Hamrob
01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
2-3yrs from now...folks will be remembering Kyle Orton in the same vein as Brian Griese.

"I don't comment on other player's play"

Oh, yeah Kyle...

Broncos_OTM
01-01-2011, 03:26 AM
wasnt he earlier this year commenting on Brandon Loyds play.... pitiful

Chris
01-01-2011, 04:14 AM
I will comment on your play Kyle.

You failed to do the most important things as a QB - convert on 3rd down and win football games. See ya.

extralife
01-01-2011, 04:47 AM
There's nothing pitiful about it, the guy is human. No one can look at himself like other people can look at him. Orton sees a guy that has been a starting quarterback in the NFL for most of his career, and has always been kicked out of the position, and has never been paid as even a good backup, much less a starter. He takes that knowledge, and then he realizes he was having a top ten season, was on the rise, was entering his prime--and now he's being kicked out again. I don't blame the dude at all. It sucks for him, no doubt about it.

Rigs11
01-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm sure most people around here would feel the same way if they got demoted at work. Fans in Denver change qbs like they change pants.

Likwid Kerruj
01-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Kyle Orton had a couple decent statistical seasons which is great for him.

Put your Orton jerseys on eBay while they're still worth a couple bucks.

maher_tyler
01-01-2011, 10:16 AM
There's nothing pitiful about it, the guy is human. No one can look at himself like other people can look at him. Orton sees a guy that has been a starting quarterback in the NFL for most of his career, and has always been kicked out of the position, and has never been paid as even a good backup, much less a starter. He takes that knowledge, and then he realizes he was having a top ten season, was on the rise, was entering his prime--and now he's being kicked out again. I don't blame the dude at all. It sucks for him, no doubt about it.

He tried hard..just not athletically gifted like a guy like Vick or even Tebow! He's just not good enough plain and simple..he'll never be better than above average even in his best season! While yea he put up good numbers but like others have said..you need to convert in crunch time and win games!!

Gort
01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
He tried hard..just not athletically gifted like a guy like Vick or even Tebow! He's just not good enough plain and simple..he'll never be better than above average even in his best season! While yea he put up good numbers but like others have said..you need to convert in crunch time and win games!!

if Orton would accept that he's got "veteran back-up" written all over him, he could last another 10 years in the league. another 10 years at $2M-$3M (or more) per year is nothing to sneeze at. he would still see some occassional playing time and who knows... he could end up in a situation like Kurt Warner in AZ a couple of years ago.

but if he is determined to bitch and moan about losing his job to Tebow, i'd remind him that being 11-18 as a starter in Denver doesn't exactly entitle one to job security.

strafen
01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Ever since I've learned Orton was coming to Denver, I prayed all I could we wouldn't start him. I was hoping for a back-up role at best. I knew he was lousy and not what we wanted in a QB.
Then, a love affair for the guy was all of the sudden born. I couldn't believe people advocating for Orton to get 5-year multi-million dollar contract as if he's the best thing they've seen since Elway.
Of all the fans in the NFL, the last people I thought would praise somebody like Orton, would be Broncos fans.
That was disappointing to me. I was one of those fans very vocal about how I felt about Orton from the beginning. Some people here hated me for it, but I stuck to my guts.

Now, everybody can see what I was talking about. In a nutshell...Orton wasn't going to be a QB for a franchise like the Denver Broncos to move forward and build a championship team, which around Bronco Nation is the standard by which we all live.

It's all over now. The Tebow era has begun. I now feel that rooting for my team won't turn into disappointment and heartbreakers.

OrangeSe7en
01-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Yeah, but Orton is also a team captain and, as a team captain, he should be putting the team ahead of himself. That notion can certainly be questioned.

maher_tyler
01-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Kyle Orton had a couple decent statistical seasons which is great for him.

Put your Orton jerseys on eBay while they're still worth a couple bucks.

Did anyone here actually buy a Orton jersey??

go_broncos
01-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Yes..Baja and Popps

TheReverend
01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
"I don't comment on other guys' play," Orton said.

Poor thing.

strafen
01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Poor thing.

Yup. That said a lot without saying too much...

Hamrob
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Did anyone here actually buy a Orton jersey??What number was Orton? :~ohyah!:

strafen
01-01-2011, 11:20 AM
What number was Orton? :~ohyah!:Should've been number 2 all along ROFL!

Likwid Kerruj
01-01-2011, 11:30 AM

I hope not.

It can be recycled into a Jeff Lewis jersey, so it might not be a total loss...

Los Broncos
01-01-2011, 11:49 AM

What about those Orton hoodie flannel things, those things were hot.

ro_50
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't blame Orton for feeling the way he feels but as others have stated on here, he's a team captain and should put the team first.

And he doesn't even blame himself for part of the team's failures.

Good luck to you Kyle wherever you end up.

extralife
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Hard to be an effective "team captain" when you're riding the pine.