PDA

View Full Version : The Next Head Coach of the Broncos Will Be… (Who you think, not who you want)

montrose
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Okay Nostradamus', put on your thinking caps and predict who Pat Bowlen and (presumably) John Elway will hire as the next Head Coach of the Broncos. Again, not necessarily who you want but who do you think gets the gig – and of course flame away if you’re expecting to be disappointed. I made this poll before Black Monday to add a bit of thinking to it – so you have to predict if a coach will be available or not.

strafen
12-31-2010, 10:32 AM
I have other choices. I voted for Stud as the person I think will or at least be the front office frontrunner, but I'm still somewhat reserved until we play San Diego.
Who would I want?
Definitely Jon Gruden, hands down...

lostknight
12-31-2010, 10:33 AM
If Studesville and Tebow pull a win out of their asses on Sunday, then it's him.

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
going with mularkey, fits the broncos prototypical coach, except he has previous HC experience and has built a young QB in matt ryan.

Hamrob
12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Studs isn't even in consideration. If he is...Pat Bowlen has fallen off of the bus!!!

My guess(s)

1. Jim Fassel
2. Rick Dennison

Studs will stay as either RB coach or assistant HC under either of the above.

strafen
12-31-2010, 10:48 AM
If Studesville and Tebow pull a win out of their asses on Sunday, then it's him.There's nothing like having visual aid.
It seems as though Stud has a great deal of confidence in Tebow as we saw on the NFL video. Not only that, but they communicate well with esch other.
That goes a long way in my eyes.

strafen
12-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Studs isn't even in consideration. If he is...Pat Bowlen has fallen off of the bus!!!

My guess(s)

1. Jim Fassel
2. Rick Dennison

Studs will stay as either RB coach or assistant HC under either of the above.I'd take Stud over Fassel any day of the week...

Drek
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM

My guess(s)

1. Jim Fassel
2. Rick Dennison

Studs will stay as either RB coach or assistant HC under either of the above.
PFT claims Stud has already interviewed. To me that says he's not a real candidate (implies the game versus SD has no relevance to them) and is just being used to fill the Rooney rule requirements.

I'm betting on Harbaugh. Probably not my first choice but Shanahan and Bowlen will both feel comfortable with him and he looks like someone who could develop Tebow. My next question would then be "who's the DC?" which gets scary.

TonyR
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
If Houston fires Kubiak I think he's the safe bet. But it's looking like he's going to stay so now all bets are off and I don't have a clue.

As for who I want, I'd like to see Rivera, Harbaugh, Mornhinweg, Mularkey, and maybe Gruden all get consideration. If the Vikings don't keep Frazier I'd add his name to the list.

OABB
12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Studes.

serious hops
12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Bob Slowick. Bowlen says he wants to get back to "Broncos football," and Broncos football recently equates to really bad defense. Slowick is the perfect choice to continue that proud tradition.

SouthStndJunkie
12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Not that I am for or against it at this point, but I think Gary Kubiak will be our next head coach.

montrose
12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I figured Kubiak until word came he's likely staying in Houston. My guess right now is Fassel. Fills all the criteria:

1) History with the Broncos
2) Great relationship with Elway (did you know Fassel had John talk to the Giants before their SB?)
3) Head Coaching Experience
4) Cheap

Crushaholic
12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I voted for Cam Cameron, just because it's a cool name...Ha!

It better be someone who's previously unrelated to the Broncos. That means no Kubiak, no Dennison, etc...

SoDak Bronco
12-31-2010, 11:18 AM
For some reason I have an odd feeling it is going to be Perry Fewell. Call me crazy, but that is what my "gut" is telling me. And I have a pretty good track record of random predictions like this. We shall see, I hope it's Harbaugh but that sounds like a 0% chance at this point.

SoDak Bronco
12-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Not that I am for or against it at this point, but I think Gary Kubiak will be our next head coach.

Hasn't it been reported that he is staying in Houston and Wade is coming in to coach up the defense?

frerottenextelway
12-31-2010, 11:20 AM
I have no idea. I think Studs needed to win out, I really doubt he has a chance. I hope it's not Mularkey, but his name is getting floated a lot and he would take it. I voted Harbaugh, but even if he goes pro the SF job is going to be available to him. Rumors are Kubes might be back in Houston next year.

Really doesn't seem to be any front runners at this point.

Gcver2ver3
12-31-2010, 11:22 AM
the list, i imagine you're just being thorough...

but mike shanahan?....cmon now...

brother love
12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I think Bowlen wants Gruden. He fired McDaniels around the same time that Gruden was rumored to interested in the Miami Hurricanes job. By firing McDaniels it let Gruden no the job was available.

frerottenextelway
12-31-2010, 11:26 AM
I think Fisher makes a lot of sense, but Pat would have to shell out top dollar for him.

razorwire77
12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Jim Fassell, unless Kubes gets fired. Not exactly doing backflips with either possibility, but I think that's where we're headed.

Gcver2ver3
12-31-2010, 11:28 AM
if fassell is our best option, i just assume go with studes...

Gcver2ver3
12-31-2010, 11:29 AM
depending on the SD game...

NASurfer
12-31-2010, 11:35 AM
I can see Harbaugh, maybe Jon Gruden. I think Bowlen will want someone younger again, that way if you hit the jackpot; you've got serious long term stability. He tried to do the same thing with McDaniels, but ended up giving the 31 year old full control over personnel decisions and made a mistake.

Get a proper FO structure in place, get a GM and try again with another "up and coming genius" would be my guess.

strafen
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Hasn't it been reported that he is staying in Houston and Wade is coming in to coach up the defense?I don't think it's yet official, though.
With one game left to play, the decision still hangs on the balance.

If the FO decides to go homecooking, I would narrow the finalists to 4 possible candidates.
In no particular order:

Dennison: would be instrumental in building a strong OL best suited for our offense. He understands offense and defense.

Fassell: Good offensive minded coach and excels at developing QB's

Stud: He's just trying to prove he can lead this team. If the FO likes what they see, he might get a shot

Kubiak: Favorite to get the job as per some posters here. Good offensive minded coach and could do better with the Broncos than his track record indicates

And outside the homecooking circle...

Jon Gruden: High profile coach with a championship win under his belt.
This job will appeal to him even more now that we've seen Tebow's potential.
Gruden has a great football mind.
The Broncos are a high profile organization and hiring Gruden will bring rapid success...

peacepipe
12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't think it's yet official, though.
With one game left to play, the decision still hangs on the balance.

If the FO decides to go homecooking, I would narrow the finalists to 4 possible candidates.
In no particular order:

Dennison: would be instrumental in building a strong OL best suited for our offense. He understands offense and defense.

Fassell: Good offensive minded coach and excels at developing QB's

Stud: He's just trying to prove he can lead this team. If the FO likes what they see, he might get a shot

Kubiak: Favorite to get the job as per some posters here. Good offensive minded coach and could do better with the Broncos than his track record indicates

And outside the homecooking circle...

Jon Gruden: High profile coach with a championship win under his belt.
This job will appeal to him even more now that we've seen Tebow's potential.
Gruden has a great football mind.
The Broncos are a high profile organization and hiring Gruden will bring rapid success...

It may be more appealing do the fact he gets to go against oakland 2x a yr.

NYBronco
12-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Studesville

Dagmar
12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
baja (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=49), frerottenextelway (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=942), go_broncos (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=6944), nickademus (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=3778), peacepipe (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8404), titan (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=5979), Tom G (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=339), Zoobie (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=9677)

You guys realise Harbaugh is 99% to go stay in college football or the 49ers right? You think he is our most likely coach? Did you read before voting?

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
kubiak and gruden are not coming here, fact.

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
realistically, i would bet it comes down to:

rivera, fassel, mularkey, mike nolan.

Pony Boy
12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
With all the problems the Broncos have at this point, I think Fassel is the safe choice for Head Coach. He has coached a team to the Super Bowl and coached in the playoffs. He has coached Elway in college and with the Broncos so Elway knows first hand what Fassel can bring to the table. Fassel and Tebow will be a perfect match and exactly what Tebow needs at this point. It will be a rough ride to start but Fassel has dealt with the heat the NY media can throw on a franchise so he can handle it. It's certainly not a long term solution but will keep the ship from sinking and Bowlen can get him on the cheap side till he gets Shanny and McD off his payroll.

baja
12-31-2010, 12:00 PM

I don't think he will be fired by Houston.

I think Rick Dennison would be an interesting choice but Pat will flip to a coach that has had HC experience after the perceived failure of Josh. Pat will not recognize he doomed Josh to failure by giving too much power before he was ready for it.

Hogan11
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Rivera would make the most sense IMHO....the Chargers may move to keep him as DC though.

The other outside shot that I see is indeed Jeff Fischer. Just because of the rumors that the Titans crackpot owner may select Vince Young over him and rumors that the Broncos want a "rock star/name" HC.

I would love to see either one of them be selected, but I have a bad feeling another offensive guy is going to get the nod just like Josh McDaniels did before.

Rohirrim
12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
I'll go for the trifecta and say Harbaugh as HC, Vic Fangio as DC, Ron Turner as OC, and Brian Polian as STs coach. ;D

Popps
12-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Kubiak.

(What I think, obviously not what I want.)

strafen
12-31-2010, 12:18 PM
kubiak and gruden are not coming here, fact.

That means one of them will now... Ha!

Dr. Broncenstein
12-31-2010, 12:19 PM
I want Nolan, but think Mularky is the guy with the hottest hand.

Hogan11
12-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Kubiak.

(What I think, obviously not what I want.)

I think Houston saves us all and holds onto him...that's what I hope for anyways.....Fassell OTOH, is whom I'm fearing the most and is the one I suspect they'll select.

Bigdawg26
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
My ideal coach is John harbargh but I seriously doubt we will get him. I think it comes down to mike nolan, leslie frazier, dennison, or fossil. If we do go with defense HC I hope we can somehow lure jeremy bates back here.

tsiguy96
Rivera would make the most sense IMHO....the Chargers may move to keep him as DC though.

The other outside shot that I see is indeed Jeff Fischer. Just because of the rumors that the Titans crackpot owner may select Vince Young over him and rumors that the Broncos want a "rock star/name" HC.

I would love to see either one of them be selected, but I have a bad feeling another offensive guy is going to get the nod just like Josh McDaniels did before.

adam schefter just today said the exact opposite. broncos are looking for an assistant to move up to HC, not a big name.

strafen
It may be more appealing do the fact he gets to go against oakland 2x a yr.Haha! I forgot about that :strong:

Rohirrim
12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
I think Houston saves us all and holds onto him...that's what I hope for anyways.....Fassell OTOH, is whom I'm fearing the most and is the one I suspect they'll select.

That would tell me that Bowlen does have money problems. Fassell is the Walmart choice. He'll work for peanuts and sweep up at the end of the day.

Hogan11
12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, at least it's not going to be Charlie Weis now Ha!

Dagmar
12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Peter King made the point that Smith in ATL and Harbaugh in BAL were not choices that excited those fan bases.

Cmac821
12-31-2010, 12:38 PM
John Fox...most triumphant name

phillybroncosnut
12-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Whowever takes the money offered to him. That will count out all previous head coaches (Gruden, fisher, Cowher), unless they have been away a while and need to get backin the head coach circle (Malarky, Fassel), it also will count out all big name college coaches.

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Peter King made the point that Smith in ATL and Harbaugh in BAL were not choices that excited those fan bases.

yea but fans know best so bowlen needs to do what teh fans want.

listopencil
12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
adam schefter just today said the exact opposite. broncos are looking for an assistant to move up to HC, not a big name.

Nolan?

TonyR
12-31-2010, 12:53 PM

Yup, and I don't think Sean Payton was a hugely popular choice in New Orleans either and that's worked out okay. Going back a ways, Andy Reid was a head scratcher at the time in Philadelphia. We could probably come up with several more examples.

elsid13
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
If Elway is leading the search, it's going to someone he comfortable with and knows. If Kubes is staying in Houston, I would put the short list to

- Rick Dennison was there during the SB runs and learned under Shahanan, Kubes and Gibbs
-Jim Harbaugh - Stanford connection and I think folk don't understand how competitive he is, his brother is successful in NFL and he will want to prove he is better then his brother
- Young Shanny - dark horse but you never know.

Hogan11
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
If Elway is leading the search, it's going to someone he comfortable with and knows. If Kubes is staying in Houston, I would put the short list to

- Rick Dennison was there during the SB runs and learned under Shahanan, Kubes and Gibbs
-Jim Harbaugh - Stanford connection and I think folk don't understand how competitive he is, his brother is successful in NFL and he will want to prove he is better then his brother
- Young Shanny - dark horse but you never know.

..and (gulp) Fassel

baja
12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
..and (gulp) Fassel

Elway has credited Fassel as the guy that helped him the most to develop his skills, even over Shanny.

elsid13
12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Elway has credited Fassel as the guy that helped him the most to develop his skills, even over Shanny.

You are both right. If Dinger's health is better he also has outside chance of getting an interview.

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
think you guys underestimate elway. hes not gonna start calling all his old buddies for a reunion, hes going to try and assemble a winning football team.

HEAV
12-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Well it looks like Kubes will be in Houston (with Wade Phillips as DC) in 2011.

I'm thinking maybe the Titans let Fisher walk and Bowlen will go with a proven (known) coach.

NFLBRONCO
12-31-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm thinking maybe the Titans let Fisher walk and Bowlen will go with a proven (known) coach.

I hope your right Heav

baja
12-31-2010, 01:07 PM

If Fisher is available he will be the next HC of the Denver Broncos and dirty players will follow

elsid13
12-31-2010, 01:08 PM
think you guys underestimate elway. hes not gonna start calling all his old buddies for a reunion, hes going to try and assemble a winning football team.

That how it works when new CEO/president comes into a company for massive turn around. He/She start bringing in folks that they know, worked with/for, trust and are comfortable with, that don't go outside their network at first.

NFLBRONCO
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
That how it works when new CEO/president comes into a company for massive turn around. He/She start bringing in folks that know, work with/for, trust and are comfortable with, that don't go outside their network at first.

I agree 100%

HEAV
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
If Fisher is available he will be the next HC of the Denver Broncos and dirty players will follow

I'd be more concerned with the O.C. and the grooming of Tebow, than the dirty players.

I just hope Bowlen doesn't F-this up. But something tells me he won't have the coin for Cowher and Fisher is a Shanny buddy and the three have a connection.

If reports are correct and Bowlen wants to go back to a familiar coach...Fisher, while not a fomer Bronco, has some history with the Broncos.

I'd like a Defensive minded headcoach, but I want a solid offensive cordinator around Tebow.

Hamrob
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
How about:

MIKE HOLMGREN

Lot's of conjecture about him wanting to return to the sidelines

strafen
12-31-2010, 01:24 PM
How about:

MIKE HOLMGREN

Lot's of conjecture about him wanting to return to the sidelinesThat would be good too.
WC offense type guy and have had a successful career.
I'd actually love that choice...

OABB
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Jim Fassel would be a great choice for head coach. I personally want us to be heartless, predictable and weak minded going forward. Bring him in!

Hamrob
12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Yup, and I don't think Sean Payton was a hugely popular choice in New Orleans either and that's worked out okay. Going back a ways, Andy Reid was a head scratcher at the time in Philadelphia. We could probably come up with several more examples.You mean...like Josh McDaniels?

montrose
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
yea but fans know best so bowlen needs to do what teh fans want.

Good point, Bowlen and Ellis fired Josh during the season when they really didn't want to because the fans wanted it and are now hiring the franchises most beloved star for a position hes really not qualified for - again to make the fanbase happy. I fully expect, unfortunatly, the new HC to be a guy with Broncos roots the team can market to the (dumb) fans.

bowtown
12-31-2010, 02:07 PM
How about:

MIKE HOLMGREN

Lot's of conjecture about him wanting to return to the sidelines

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YbXHpJPLjjM/S9t_PvptsTI/AAAAAAAAAdA/OVGjbIvfrWQ/s320/do-not-want.jpg

Not interested in an old overrated coach trying to fill some sort of void before having one bad season and returning to the cushiness of the front office. Besides Holmgren will want all the power.

OrangeSe7en
12-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I see no mention of Mora. He's not first on my list but based on the fact that Xanders might lobby for him, he shouldnt be discounted. Hasnt he used the ZBS and WCO also?

He's not the most obvious choice but he does have a connection to Xanders.

bowtown
12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
I see no mention of Mora. He's not first on my list but based on the fact that Xanders might lobby for him, he shouldnt be discounted. Hasnt he used the ZBS and WCO also?

You mean Captian Suck Jr. or his father?

OrangeSe7en
12-31-2010, 02:10 PM
You mean Captian Suck Jr. or his father?

Jr.

TonyR
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
You mean...like Josh McDaniels?

Um, no. Not like that at all. You're clearly missing the point.

Requiem
12-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Schefter recently tweeted that Harbaugh (in his eyes) is going to take up the head coaching job at Michigan. Makes sense.

strafen
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM

I sure hope he doesn't even get mentioned...

OrangeSe7en
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
I sure hope he doesn't even get mentioned...

I feel that way too. A lot of people probably feel that way. But its not a lot different from how people feel about Fassel.

HEAV
12-31-2010, 02:56 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwq7BYOnDrM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwq7BYOnDrM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ya give me old Mora!

SoCalBronco
12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Since it appears Kubiak will stick in Houston, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gruden, although that would cost some serious money and I'm not sure Bowlen is willing to pay it out.

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Since it appears Kubiak will stick in Houston, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Gruden, although that would cost some serious money and I'm not sure Bowlen is willing to pay it out.

dont you follow the news at all? gruden has been ruled out a LONG time ago by basically every nfl reporter out there.

strafen
12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwq7BYOnDrM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwq7BYOnDrM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ya give me old Mora!Still hilarious to this day... LOL

strafen
12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
dont you follow the news at all? gruden has been ruled out a LONG time ago by basically every nfl reporter out there.It's not like is set in stone, is it?

baja
12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
the one i'm surprised no one is mentioning is Marty Schottenheimer

TonyR
12-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Too old, out of the league too long, and reportedly not interested in coaching again.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM

Or Jerry Glanville. :sunshine:

baja
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM

Or Bum Phillips

OrangeSe7en
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM

...Marv Levy?

strafen
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
BTW, there are reports Harbaugh may be heading to Michigan to take over the HC job...
Adam Schefter reports...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5974093

baja
12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
How about your neighbor Barry Switzer. ;D

strafen
12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Or Jerry Glanville. :sunshine:Oh shyat, that's too funny! ROFL!

Dr. Broncenstein
12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
How about your neighbor Barry Switzer. ;D

He's too busy brush-hogging my pasture.

Dagmar
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

I've never heard it called that before!

baja
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

LOL I first read'bush hogging my pasture' and I thought you were saying he was having an affair with your significant other. ;D

SoCalBronco
12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
dont you follow the news at all? gruden has been ruled out a LONG time ago by basically every nfl reporter out there.

Why am I supposed to care what NFL reporters think?

baja
12-31-2010, 03:36 PM

I think we should trade down and take the best coach available in the second round.

outdoor_miner
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
I think we should trade down and take the best coach available in the second round.

That's a good idea... I'd take it a step further, and trade down 2 or 3 times... We can get 4 coaches, and see which one works out best.

Requiem
12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
BTW, there are reports Harbaugh may be heading to Michigan to take over the HC job...
Adam Schefter reports...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5974093

You are late to the dance again.

https://unix.securenet-server.net/~aceword1/images/stories/news/images/carpenter.jpg

Rohirrim
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
https://unix.securenet-server.net/~aceword1/images/stories/news/images/carpenter.jpg

Neanderthal plays guitar!!

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 04:34 PM

because they are the ones who not only break the news, and have the connections into the organization that find out the details of what is currently going on. the same guys who reported that cowher and gruden are NOT options for denver.

Bronco Yoda
12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Ben McDaniels

CEH
12-31-2010, 04:44 PM

Just a SWAG at this point with the FO still up in the air

Here's Shefter's exact quote.

Hard for me to know the Broncos next head coach when they don't know. I'd look for them to hire an NFL assistant coach, not a former big-named head coach.

orange crusher
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Harbaugh would be my choice, but I don't think it will happen because of the McDaniels disaster. My gut tells me Nolan. I remember rumors about Capers being brought in as a defensive coordinator after McDaniels was hired. I also remember an article saying something about Bowlen insisting on Nolan. I could live with Nolan as HC I guess..Much rather have him than Kubiak, Dennison, Fassel, etc.

KipCorrington25
12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
For being a good soldier Studesville will be retained as RB coach, I'm sure that was part of the deal regardless of any token interview.

Gcver2ver3
12-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Still hilarious to this day... LOL

i started laughing without even clicking play...

thats without question, the funniest nfl postgame sound byte of all time...

i am still snickering from it just looking at his face...

jim mora made the best sound bytes ever...

Durango
12-31-2010, 06:26 PM
I'd like to see the team at least interview Sean McDermott, the DC of the Eagles. If he doesn't fit the bill, I'd take a hard look at Greg Williams.

strafen
12-31-2010, 06:27 PM
You are late to the dance again.

https://unix.securenet-server.net/~aceword1/images/stories/news/images/carpenter.jpgYou can tell that to those voting for him ;)

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Just a SWAG at this point with the FO still up in the air

Here's Shefter's exact quote.

Hard for me to know the Broncos next head coach when they don't know. I'd look for them to hire an NFL assistant coach, not a former big-named head coach.

hes said previously that it will not be cowher or gruden, though he tweets too much it would take forever for me to find.

eddie mac
12-31-2010, 06:31 PM
If Bowlen/Elway go for Fassell who do you guys see him appointing as his OC and DC???

Steve Sewell
12-31-2010, 06:39 PM
If Elway has the final say on the hire, my money is on Jim Fassel.

Steve Sewell
12-31-2010, 06:57 PM
..and (gulp) Fassel

Not that I'm all that jazzed about Fassel, but why are people acting like he's some imbecile head coaching prospect? The guy has a pretty impressive record as an NFL head coach.

tsiguy96
12-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Not that I'm all that jazzed about Fassel, but why are people acting like he's some imbecile head coaching prospect? The guy has a pretty impressive record as an NFL head coach.

hes not a big name, thats why.

i wouldnt mind, personally.

Steve Sewell
12-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Fisher + Tebow would be like the Titans with McNair in his prime. We'd probably be really damn hard to beat at home too.

baja
12-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Trouble is he has a very serious illness.

Hogan11
12-31-2010, 07:33 PM
hes not a big name, thats why.

i wouldnt mind, personally.

That's not it, it's that his last few years in the league were disasterous, beginning with the NYG collaspe against the 49ers in the 2002 playoffs, thru his seasons as the failed OC for the Ravens thereafter.

...and, he's an offensive guy and this team needs a guy rooted on the defensive side of the ball more than anything else.

but hey....he won back to back UFL Titles!! WooHoo :kubiak:

Thanks but no thanks, I'll pass.

Broncos_OTM
12-31-2010, 07:39 PM
I dont know who to expect. atleast we can look at rivera and fraser mon morning if we wanted to

gunns
12-31-2010, 07:43 PM

Really? Where? When? Yes he took the Giants to the SB but got shellacked and at a time when the NFC was becoming the weaker conference. His overall record with the Giants was barely over .500. And more offense. Double face palm. Sorry I just don't see the logic in this and Elway will severely disappoint me if he is the call.

baja
12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
As for who I would want I vote for Rick Dennison, He knows both sides of the ball is a people person is respected around the league. He would manage the team well IMO and that is what this team needs over the next few years is good management.

orange crusher
12-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Trouble is he has a very serious illness.

Are you thinking of Heimerdinger? I haven't heard about anything with Fassel.

baja
12-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Are you thinking of Heimerdinger? I haven't heard about anything with Fassel.

Yes you are right, my mistake

~Crash~
12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Rick Dennison fact!

\
you don't like that fact well deal with .

~Crash~
12-31-2010, 09:07 PM
As for who I would want I vote for Rick Dennison, He knows both sides of the ball is a people person is respected around the league. He would manage the team well IMO and that is what this team needs over the next few years is good management.

add in he knows this team . add in he makes the Ol better . he knows both O and D ! he is the man

~Crash~
12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Really? Where? When? Yes he took the Giants to the SB but got shellacked and at a time when the NFC was becoming the weaker conference. His overall record with the Giants was barely over .500. And more offense. Double face palm. Sorry I just don't see the logic in this and Elway will severely disappoint me if he is the call.

Fassel is the best there is working with QB's . He is why Elway was perfect with his manics when he came out of College . so thank the guy..:sunshine:

FireFly
12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I really hope we get someone with experience.

I'd be pretty upset initially with Kubiak or Stud.

I'd love to see Gruden here.

FireFly
12-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd love to see Jeff Fisher here as well - and I'm in the small minority how would actually like to see Cowher here (though I would bet money against it happening)

eddie mac
12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
For those who really care, Fassel's DC for years has just got canned in Carolina and guess who his RB coach was at NYG?

Yeah you guessed it, none other than our current interim HC.

i4jelway7
01-01-2011, 03:16 AM
no doubt in my mind the new Broncos HC will be Jim Fassel ... the writing is on the wall, Elway has always had a great relationship w/ Fassel.. Fassel will be tasked w/ developing Tebow

now who would I like to see as the HC--- none other than Dick Lebeau - problem is he bleeds black & yellow, he is old and this would be his greatest challenge.. I'd be happy with that.. then bring in Fassel as the OC or QB coach

tsiguy96
01-01-2011, 05:36 AM
i wouldnt mind seeing fassel personally, hes a successful HC overall, and with the right staff will be more than welcome here.

elsid13
01-01-2011, 06:14 AM
I think Fassel is the back-up plan if the top candidates don't come through.

ShutDownPoster
01-01-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm with baja - Dennison it is.

elsid13
01-01-2011, 06:28 AM
It's rare when the news of a coach being let go (and/or fired) is "not news," but that's the case with the announcement that the Carolina Panthers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CAR) will not renew John Fox's contract for 2011.

Fox has been considered the lamest of ducks when it comes to head coaches this season, and the Panthers league-worst 2-13 record obviously didn't help his job security.

http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/26752499

ShutDownPoster
01-01-2011, 06:39 AM
I like this - The Rooney Rule will love it.

HC - Ron Rivera
OC - Norm Chow
DC - Marvin Lewis
QBC - Jim Fassel
STC - Keith Burns

Gcver2ver3
01-01-2011, 07:17 AM

HC - Ron Rivera
OC - Norm Chow
DC - Marvin Lewis
QBC - Jim Fassel
STC - Keith Burns

melting pot of coaching candidates...

bpc
01-01-2011, 07:37 AM
I casted my vote with Gruden, but that's my personal hope as I would like to put and offensive guru around Tebow.

In the end, i would love anybody who is resolute and knowledgeable yet not blinded by arrogance... i think that was faults in both Shanny and McD. I would love Harbaugh but I agree that SF has the inside track, then Michigan.

I do like Mike Nolan. He did some damn good things here last season.

I haven't invested a lot of time on this group but I would absolutely hate it if Fassell got the HC job. Hell, he can't get a job in this league and we would promote him to HC because Elway's giving him a hometown discount? Come on John, please come in and be smarter than that. I'm ok with QB coach or OC but the man isn't going to cut it at HC.

baja
01-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I casted my vote with Gruden, but that's my personal hope as I would like to put and offensive guru around Tebow.

In the end, i would love anybody who is resolute and knowledgeable yet not blinded by arrogance... i think that was faults in both Shanny and McD. I would love Harbaugh but I agree that SF has the inside track, then Michigan.

I do like Mike Nolan. He did some damn good things here last season.

I haven't invested a lot of time on this group but I would absolutely hate it if Fassell got the HC job. Hell, he can't get a job in this league and we would promote him to HC because Elway's giving him a hometown discount? Come on John, please come in and be smarter than that. I'm ok with QB coach or OC but the man isn't going to cut it at HC.

Let's just hope nepotism is not the order of the day. John loves the good old boy club.

It's going to be interesting to see who wins the favor (control) of Simple Pat, Elway or Ellis

LonghornBronco
01-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I would prefer other scenarios, but my spidey sense tells me it's going to be

HC: Fassel
DC: John Fox
OC: Eric Studesville

gunns
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Fassel is the best there is working with QB's . He is why Elway was perfect with his manics when he came out of College . so thank the guy..:sunshine:

I wasn't disputing that. The question was about head coach and he hasn't done that well, even when he was coaching college at Utah. I know what he did for Elway, I'm sure he could do the same for Tebow, so hire him as QB coach, not head coach. QB is not the only position we have on this team and neither is offense, although you wouldn't know it by the last 12 years.

gunns
01-01-2011, 11:51 AM

HC - Ron Rivera
OC - Norm Chow
DC - Marvin Lewis
QBC - Jim Fassel
STC - Keith Burns

This is probably the best I've seen so far. I think I'm head coach shy after McD and the coordinators he brought in. I want assurance that everyone hired can do the job well and there's no way that can happen, unfortunately.

Hogan11
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I wasn't disputing that. The question was about head coach and he hasn't done that well, even when he was coaching college at Utah. I know what he did for Elway, I'm sure he could do the same for Tebow, so hire him as QB coach, not head coach. QB is not the only position we have on this team and neither is offense, although you wouldn't know it by the last 12 years.

I wouldn't want Fassel for anything more than QB coach. Unfortunately, the Locos probably pay him more to be their HC than Pat would for the position of QBC in Denver. He'd also probably see it as a career regression, insultive and turn it down for those reasons. We'll see I guess, but I'm betting it'll be HC or nothing when it comes to Fassel.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I just can't see Fassell being hired as HC. Fox I can.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm with baja - Dennison it is.

I wish I could turn the clock back and they would have made Dennison the HC instead of Josh. As for next year, I guess it's a possibility, but he's sitting pretty at HOU right now. If he actually wants to interview for the job he might have a chance.

ShutDownPoster
01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I wish I could turn the clock back and they would have made Dennison the HC instead of Josh. As for next year, I guess it's a possibility, but he's sitting pretty at HOU right now. If he actually wants to interview for the job he might have a chance.

He's a very smart guy who worked his way up the ranks. Having coming from the defensive side of the ball and transitioning into the current leading expert on ZBS. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe he would be an excellent manager. Remember the meltdown when it was announced that he would take over for Gibbs? Turned out he knew what he was doing.

cutthemdown
01-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking this is going to be an unpopular decision. Fassal? man that would not be exciting.

LonghornBronco
01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
after listening to Elways interview on the fan friday, I think we might have a shot at Harbaugh, and/or Luck. Elway still has a lot of connections to Stanford.

Hamrob
01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
He's a very smart guy who worked his way up the ranks. Having coming from the defensive side of the ball and transitioning into the current leading expert on ZBS. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe he would be an excellent manager. Remember the meltdown when it was announced that he would take over for Gibbs? Turned out he knew what he was doing.Yes, I remember...but, that was only because he was a terrible special teams coach. I mean terrible!

GoBroncos84
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Looks like Frazier and Garrett can be removed from this list. Both coaches will be staying with their current team.

TonyR
01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
This may be repetitive and/or old news but just heard on Fox Sports Radio that Harbaugh reportedly isn't interested in the San Fran job which significantly increases Denver's chance of landing him if he decides to move up to the NFL.

Rohirrim
01-02-2011, 01:13 PM
This may be repetitive and/or old news but just heard on Fox Sports Radio that Harbaugh reportedly isn't interested in the San Fran job which significantly increases Denver's chance of landing him if he decides to move up to the NFL.

Elway has been on the sidelines for so many Stanford games I can't believe he and Harbaugh haven't sat down for a couple of beers and talked about this before.

baja
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
bump to the first page

Houshyamama
01-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Interesting ESPN poll: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=104611

edog24
01-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Why anyone would want Studesville anywhere near this team next year is beyond me. He has not shown any innovation, is a vestige of McDaniels and clearly had many deer in the headlight moments.

Missouribronc
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Why anyone would want Studesville anywhere near this team next year is beyond me. He has not shown any innovation, is a vestige of McDaniels and clearly had many deer in the headlight moments.

Because he sure was given a great situation to work in, in his first head coaching gig.

Here, the staff is ****, the defense sucks and you've got a rookie quarterback.

Good luck. :welcome:

Steve Sewell
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Studesville is a career non-coordinator level assistant.

crowebomber
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM

HC - Ron Rivera
OC - Norm Chow
DC - Marvin Lewis
QBC - Jim Fassel
STC - Keith Burns

Throw in "Chief" Johnny Chavis, DC for LSU ,who is Native American.

HooptyHoops
01-03-2011, 02:38 PM

I have not heard this...it kinda makes me smile, as I no the Broncos don't have the cash flow than SF does.....I did hear that Michigan would have a hard time getting around some of the Stanford regs in Harbaugh's contract....everything seems to be lining up.....I can't say I'm all for Harbaugh, but all this news is really lining up.

TonyR
01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I have not heard this...

And since yesterday everything I've heard says the opposite, that San Fran has a better chance then Denver. So who knows at this point.

bendog
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
here's who I want but I don't think he wants the job and prefers his current gig.

http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2008/12/16/marronebio.aspx

Fassel would be ok. He did great with rejuvinating Elway, and he knows the ropes which is more than anyone else in this organization can say.